HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:07 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
GA250 Gyro with the Turnigy DS480 Tail Servo

Here's my first attempt at fine tuning the ds480 with the GA250 Gyro. The piro is way too fast for my eyes to keep up. Tail Gain is 75% Setting is 1520/250, HS is 3800 no load. I still need to increase the gain a bit more as it has a slight drift. The bounce seems to disappear, when i lowered the piro rates to something more sensible rate. I'm still working on the other 250 with the Fusonic HD-B-02 servo.I know I didn't clip the canopy securely. sorry. windy day, i know bad day for tuning a gyro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVG8Nk7iWII
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Jan 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:54 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
GA250 Gyro with the Fusonic HB-D-02 Tail Servo

Gain 63 %. I'm still working on this. and the turnigy fine tuning here and there. This is my first mems gyro, so I'm like a blind man on a busy street, not knowing where to go. I'm still learning, i'm getting there. but the piro is too fast for my eyes, I can't keep up with it.

this again is on the 2S setup, with the FF200 5000kv motor(zpower clone). HS 4500, pack was hot after testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92CnbRwNbiA
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:11 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
http://www.mks-servo.com.tw/

Ds 480 is 1520μs / 333hz

Also looks like gain is far to high in both vids although the turn table method introduces different forces that would not happen in flight...but it is a nice place to start especially with servo and gyro direction....after that better off in the air imo.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:05 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
http://www.mks-servo.com.tw/

Ds 480 is 1520μs / 333hz

Also looks like gain is far to high in both vids although the turn table method introduces different forces that would not happen in flight...but it is a nice place to start especially with servo and gyro direction....after that better off in the air imo.

Amp
yep tried that with the ds 480, thank you for that, but for some reason the movement on travel for both direction is small on that settings. But on the 1520/250 is a much bigger travel. Not sure what's going on there. Could it be the gyro?? Definately this is not a quark. Very similar, but not close to it. But definately worth $9. I need to buy more. I still need to tweak both helis. I'm aware this gyro would definately perform well on the 450 or bigger birds, but the ultimate test is the micros, so tempermental these 250s. I'll hit on the nail soon Amp, hopefully once i can get the tails to lock the way i want it, flight video will be next. Most people are eager to take it to the skies, I prefer to be safe than sorry, anything can happen in the skies as you know, especially when trying something new.
Last edited by pitchp; Jan 30, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:27 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,133 Posts
your 250 looks real happy to see you.

My 450 is almost rebuild. Only broken parts were the main and feathering shaft... and the %*&^# grip bearings. Boy do i hate changing main grip bearings. It felt if it was welded in there.

I changed the plastic tail grips to metal. i think the hard stops this gyro wants to make bends my plastic grips and therefore make the stop bounce worse .
The metal part does feel much more solid (after a few hours working on it)
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Jan 30, 2011, 05:09 AM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Ga-250 Setup

Assan GA250 Setup (9 min 37 sec)

I'll be posting flight video's shortly.
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jan 30, 2011, 05:22 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
your 250 looks real happy to see you.

My 450 is almost rebuild. Only broken parts were the main and feathering shaft... and the %*&^# grip bearings. Boy do i hate changing main grip bearings. It felt if it was welded in there.

I changed the plastic tail grips to metal. i think the hard stops this gyro wants to make bends my plastic grips and therefore make the stop bounce worse .
The metal part does feel much more solid (after a few hours working on it)
lol they always are.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 05:24 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
nevermind, i'll try to figure this out
Last edited by pitchp; Jan 30, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:32 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,116 Posts
Pitchp, remember that you will have to re-adjust your gain in flight - the gyro won't be working to turn the base of the lazy susan once you're in the air.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
>Pitchp, remember that you will have to re-adjust your gain in flight - the gyro won't be working to turn the base of the lazy susan once you're in the air.

Exactly. Not only does the gyro have to work extra to turn the platter, it also has to work harder to stop the extra mass. My 'lazy susan' is very thin and light metal plate mounted onto a bearing from an old hard drive, so it has extremely low resistance to turning. In fact I can simply blow on my tail and the heli will spin around 2 or 3 times....and yet the heli behaves totally different in the air than it does when it's strapped down.

Lazy susan devices are better suited for rotating food in a microwave
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Pitchp, remember that you will have to re-adjust your gain in flight - the gyro won't be working to turn the base of the lazy susan once you're in the air.
yes, and the piro rates too!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:00 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger View Post
>Pitchp, remember that you will have to re-adjust your gain in flight - the gyro won't be working to turn the base of the lazy susan once you're in the air.

Exactly. Not only does the gyro have to work extra to turn the platter, it also has to work harder to stop the extra mass. My 'lazy susan' is very thin and light metal plate mounted onto a bearing from an old hard drive, so it has extremely low resistance to turning. In fact I can simply blow on my tail and the heli will spin around 2 or 3 times....and yet the heli behaves totally different in the air than it does when it's strapped down.

Lazy susan devices are better suited for rotating food in a microwave
I agree. But the video, shows a close up of the bounce. But once i can get this tail to lock, i'll make a video of the heli in the air, with a tail slide hopefullly!! Which i doubt it can do it on a 250, if it can this will be upto par with the futaba 520. Do you have a video of your 250 with the ga250 ?

The ultimate test the tail slide:

Bobby_Watts tail slide 3D Masters 2007 (3 min 18 sec)
Last edited by pitchp; Jan 30, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:53 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
>I agree. But the video, shows a close up of the bounce. But once i can get this tail to lock, i'll make a video of the heli in the air, with a tail slide hopefullly!! Which i doubt it can do it on a 250, if it can this will be upto par with the futaba 520. Do you have a video of your 250 with the ga250

The bounce will probably be a lot worse on the lazy susan than it will be when the heli is in the air. On the lazy susan, when your gyro says "stop", the tail not only has to stop the heli, it also has to stop the lazy susan! It will obviously take longer to stop the added weight than what the gyro expects, so the gyro will have to correct and bring the tail back to where it is supposed to be, resulting in bounce!
Quit watching youtube and playing with the lazy susan and go fly your heli

And no, I don't have any video. My digital camera will take video, but it's a little hard to hold while i'm flying, and it's too damn cold out to convince my wife to be a videographer

I've flown about 6 more batteries with my new gyro since my last post, and still very impressed with it. It certainly passes the temperature change test....+21C to -9C with no drift at all. (I walk out my door, plug in the battery, and lift off within 1 minute)
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:18 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger View Post
>I agree. But the video, shows a close up of the bounce. But once i can get this tail to lock, i'll make a video of the heli in the air, with a tail slide hopefullly!! Which i doubt it can do it on a 250, if it can this will be upto par with the futaba 520. Do you have a video of your 250 with the ga250

The bounce will probably be a lot worse on the lazy susan than it will be when the heli is in the air. On the lazy susan, when your gyro says "stop", the tail not only has to stop the heli, it also has to stop the lazy susan! It will obviously take longer to stop the added weight than what the gyro expects, so the gyro will have to correct and bring the tail back to where it is supposed to be, resulting in bounce!
Quit watching youtube and playing with the lazy susan and go fly your heli

And no, I don't have any video. My digital camera will take video, but it's a little hard to hold while i'm flying, and it's too damn cold out to convince my wife to be a videographer

I've flown about 6 more batteries with my new gyro since my last post, and still very impressed with it. It certainly passes the temperature change test....+21C to -9C with no drift at all. (I walk out my door, plug in the battery, and lift off within 1 minute)
I've tested 250 helis on the lazy susan with no bounce.

You can't jump the gun, until the tail is locked in.

Any one can talk, but a tail slide video will do the walk
Last edited by pitchp; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:55 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbpVmcvo7M

I'll be posting flight video's shortly.
ghost, Thanks for posting this set up video. I've have two on the way and have read the manual online, but this video answered a couple of questions I had about setting the high and low servo travel.
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn