HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:34 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
Sure it can, should be no problem. If you already had it installed upright, you'll need to reverse the gyro sense.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Nov 2010
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Sure it can, should be no problem. If you already had it installed upright, you'll need to reverse the gyro sense.
TQ very much 2Doggs for answering my newbie question
presa1200 is offline Find More Posts by presa1200
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:17 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,716 Posts
How about the use on a 250? Many reports of bad results but many good results as well?
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:08 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
How about the use on a 250? Many reports of bad results but many good results as well?
Most of the bad results were from early versions, which lacked the "delay" function. Newer versions all have a delay parameter that can be set from 1-7, which eliminates (or at least greatly reduces) the tail wag issue that earlier models have.

I'm currently running the GA250 gyro on my HK250GT with no issues. It did wag when first installed (delay function at 1). I set the delay to 5, and now it's pretty solid.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,716 Posts
I got mine from hobbyjking a few months aging. It should be ok then?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:22 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
I got mine from hobbyjking a few months aging. It should be ok then?
Definitely. I'm not sure when the fix was implemented, but it was just a few months after initial release...and I think it's been around a couple years now.

So yes, yours should be fine. I think the directions for setting the delay function were included with the package, but here they are just in case:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X436611X28.jpg
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:24 PM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
913 Posts
Quote:
...I understand there is a way to get the firmware flashed. How do I go about getting this done and how do I figure out what version I have currently?
I highly recommend OlliW's process and software for turning the cheap GA250 into a highly capable, accurate, and configurable gyro that puts on par with Quark (IMHO)

Here are the two threads you want to review carefully...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610075

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493174
Steve Joblin is offline Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:52 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
I highly recommend OlliW's process and software for turning the cheap GA250 into a highly capable, accurate, and configurable gyro that puts on par with Quark (IMHO)

Here are the two threads you want to review carefully...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610075

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493174
Yes, I am aware of that. I just don't have time for it. I need to spend the money on something that works. I have a Futaba GY401 but it's huge and will look bad. I'm a collector, I might just build it and put it on the shelf for a few months before ever flying it. I still have a spare Turnigy 9x and smartie parts board I haven't touched yet. That comes first! And after recent experiences, I really should go flybarless, but space is at such a premium on the 250.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:09 AM
Oh no!
Wales(UK)
Joined Jul 2004
127 Posts
GA-250 drift problem

Hey guys,My 450se v2 tail is drifting slowly in the hover in same direction as rotor blades(clockwise viewed from above),gyro is in HH (blue LED on), S9257 servo.All set up OK as per Assan instruction leaflet.And of course after watching Bob's vids.Altering gain values doesn't seem to do anything much at all (Turnigy 9x).Very,very slight tail wag.on all settings from 100% down to the point where it switches into rate mode.
Not unflyable, but annoying,seeing as how most on here have solid tails with this gyro.I think it's me,not the gyro.Anyone give me a few pointers to what I should be looking for?My brain's gone and I need direction.Thank you.
Scarlet is offline Find More Posts by Scarlet
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:16 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
Hey guys,My 450se v2 tail is drifting slowly in the hover in same direction as rotor blades(clockwise viewed from above),gyro is in HH (blue LED on), S9257 servo.All set up OK as per Assan instruction leaflet.And of course after watching Bob's vids.Altering gain values doesn't seem to do anything much at all (Turnigy 9x).Very,very slight tail wag.on all settings from 100% down to the point where it switches into rate mode.
Not unflyable, but annoying,seeing as how most on here have solid tails with this gyro.I think it's me,not the gyro.Anyone give me a few pointers to what I should be looking for?My brain's gone and I need direction.Thank you.
Double check that the channel you have controlling the gain is actually the channel the gyro is taking gain input from. I had my radio set up to transmit gain on the wrong channel at first, and nothing happened no matter what I set the gain to, because the gyro never got the signal. Sounds stupid, but it's easy to do.

Changing gain from 0 to 100 should produce wildly different behavior, not a "slight tail wag" on all settings. If you can change from 0 to 100 and get no change, then I suspect the gyro isn't receiving the signal.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:51 AM
Oh no!
Wales(UK)
Joined Jul 2004
127 Posts
I've got it on channel 5,flicking the switch on top of TX changes it from blue LED on to blue LED off so I presume that it's receiving a gain signal,if I switch into Rate mode it drifts fairly quickly. I can trim most of the drift out on HH but it's not solid,if you know what I mean.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:20 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,156 Posts
Try not using sub trim on the tail , only use it to get the servo at 90 . The best way is to center the tail so it has no binding in either direction. Then take off in rate . Watch the tail and see which way its drifting . Set it down and adjust the linkage rod with a few twists in or out depending which way it drifts . Your gonna need to do this a few times till its pretty good in a hover . Then it should be set in HH ,and you shouldn't need to touch it
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:23 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
Rate mode setup vs HH mode setup

Drift in rate mode means your mechanical trim is out - you need to move the servo or adjust the linkage. There are two schools of thought with tail setup. First, people who set up in rate mode, in which case you have about 5 degrees of tail rotor pitch to counteract the main rotor torque reaction with the servo at neutral - and secondly, HH-only flyers who don't bother setting up in rate mode, but set the tail slider central at servo neutral.

Whichever way you set it up, you shouldn't use any TX trim since when you power up the heli the next time the gyro will see the trim as the new neutral, and you'll have to keep adding trim.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:35 PM
Oh no!
Wales(UK)
Joined Jul 2004
127 Posts
I set it for zero degrees tail pitch when servo is neutral in rate mode.Maybe I need to put 5 degrees of pitch when servo is neutral?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:11 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,260 Posts
How is everyone liking this gyro? Thinking of pulling the trigger on it for my HK450Pro..What would a good servo gyro combo be?
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1