HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 16, 2011, 07:57 AM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
It actually works with anything. It has 16 programmable areas of setting. I will let you guys guess for a while since after posting up here and at HF for a few years on it, it seems no one in the U.S. has used them. It is the #1 competition gyro in asia.
yep a KDS900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
(helifreaks)
I had the Mks Ds95i tail servo as my final tail servo upgrade. Most will never need this level of tail servo. The usually agreed upon figure is that the servo needs to be at least .07 fast with enough torque to move the tail under stress and under 30 grams or so in weight. My prerequisite is that it had to have titanium gearing to handle whatever I threw at it and be fast enough to take advantage of my KDS900 gyro, along with the weight limit being met.

Dude, I thought you were selling your B400 fleet?
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 10:47 AM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSn0w View Post
Why would you say this, when in the Blade400 thread you said it is so disappointing?
It turned out to be a couple of things. One, my misunderstanding of the Field programmer, talk about crappy instructions.
Two, I had believe it or not half a dozen supposedly great tail servos guys were recommending that I had to run through. I shifted them between gyros for comparison studies and it turned out to be the servos that were crummy.
And yes, when you look through the programming features it does cover every base imaginable. Sorry it was not a memms, I was up late on pain meds..............and my first beer in two years. It originally was advertized as such, but is printed on the gyro label as smm though. When I figured that out it was a WTH moment. Which also added to my frustration. Another tech to wrap my head around.
And I agree, the last winner of the asian gyro contest last year was not the KDS. I bought it well over 2 1/2 years ago. Like I said, it is still holding its own or what I consider still in the mix. But new technology feeds off the old. Every new year something pops up that is better. I would love to try the GP-750! It must be amazing. And talk about spennndie!
When I finally got the KDS coupled up with the MKS (before anyone started talking about them by the way) the KDS shined. I also had an aha moment talking to Jazmine here in his questioning of terms that allowed me to properly set the sens setting on the gyro. And its performance in nasty weather with me pushing the limits simply cannot be accounted to one good tail servo.
And, I love having a field programmer. But would much rather have a chord to the laptop for sure. Either way, once they are set up they are set up.
Frenche, I am glad the turnigy works for you! It was a disaster for me.
Man, you guys are on the ball! Glad to be in good company.
When I posted on HF a while ago asking for help from the international community I got zip, nada, not a soul responded. I did this on several threads. You guys just posted up more info in a few minutes than I have seen in years.
Now back to the 250.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; May 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 10:58 AM
Your customer
Silverexpress's Avatar
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exblade View Post
Guys,

Keep this discussion in perspective. With the GA250 and Henge MD922 you have a $20 tail combo. With some research (this 100 page thread) and tweaking you can get it working pretty well. No drift, nice smooth turns no noticeable bonce back unless you are doing pirouette stops just looking for it.

A Quark setup will be at minimum $180. For the USB connections, add another $50. I like the fact that meng is making improvements and the focus on less expensive servos is good. A Quark really needs a narrow band 760u 560 hz servo to show it's stuff. I have the USB setup and being able to adjust the AVCS parameters to the helicopter also makes it that much better. With all of that though goes a commitment to studying their system and researching proven setups. Otherwise you can adjust yourself into bad performance.

I really like having a decent, inexpensive gyro available for my lower cost helicopters that I tend to fly more often. Prior to the GA250 it has been one of the 401B variants and GY48V which work pretty well.

If meng would provide a method to flash the firmware and load a .txt file containing the AVCS parameters or adapt their GA510 interface into a field box this thing would move to the next level.

To me the problem with an expensive tail gyro is that I have a BeastX on one of my 450's and based on the performance will eventually get one of those for the heli's I fly long term. Here is to hoping Assan's 3-axis system is a keeper. In which case you can start out with a flybar and GA250 and switch to flybarless when it suits you.

At the moment, my King 2 with the GA250 is flying really sweet.

Terry
You can get a quark used for under $100 usd. Cheapest i got was $75. These are used and woking like new :-) i got another for$95 that included the usb link and data link.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 10:59 AM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
It turned out to be a couple of things. One, my misunderstanding of the Field programmer, talk about crappy instructions.
Two, I had believe it or not half a dozen supposedly great tail servos guys were recommending that I had to run through. I shifted them between gyros for comparison studies and it turned out to be the servos that were crummy.
And yes, when you look through the programming features it does cover every base imaginable. Sorry it was not a memms, I was up late on pain meds..............and my first beer in two years.
And the last winner of the asian gyro contest last year was not the KDS. I bought it well over 2 1/2 years ago. Like I said, it is still holding its own. But new technology feeds off the old. Every new year something pops up that is better. I would love to try the GP-750! It must be amazing. And talk about spennndie!
When I finally got the KDS coupled up with the MKS (before anyone started talking about them by the way) the KDS shined. I also had an aha moment talking to Jazmine here in his questioning of terms that allowed me to properly set the sens setting on the gyro.
Frenche, I am glad the turnigy works for you! It was a disaster for me.
Man, you guys are on the ball! Glad to be in good company.
When I posted on HF a while ago asking for help from the international community I got zip, nada, not a soul responded. I did this on several threads. You guys just posted up more info in a few minutes than I have seen in years.
Now back to the 250.
I understand, it happens to the best of us. We all have our days. These things happen.

Back to GA250


pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 11:41 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,445 Posts
just a quick comment on SMM vs MEMS... SMM is (or became) a subgroup of MEMS... a SMM is also a MEMS (but not necessarily vice versa)... and in fact the SMM in the GY401 is called by the original sensor manufacturer themself (silicon sensing) a "silicon MEMS" (http://www.siliconsensing.com/gyros)... these gyro designers are creative... HL, HH, AVHS...
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 11:45 AM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,168 Posts
As posted earlier on the Turnigy DS480 the GA-250 works on 1520us servos. Sadly not on mine. I pulled it off the heli and set it on my rotating stand still coupled with the gyro and it bounced itself all over the place like a jumping bean with absolutely no movement. So, I have two questions. One, does this only work on 1520? The reason I still ask is obvious. Two, I am planning on using one on my friends new parkflyer with a vtail mixer since it is his first plane and I am fairly certain they are analog servos.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
I believe you can only use digital according to the manual. I just got my turnigy servo tester and just happen to test an exi analog and digital servo and they jump all over the place on the tester itself. I just can't get them to move smoothly no matter what. I then tested the digital turnigy's and they are smooth. I tested all on 1520us. My analog exi and digital exi get very hot on the tester and I think one died. So you could also kill the servo or your gyro if you don't use something like a digital servo is my guess. Just something I noticed, but I'm really new at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
As posted earlier on the Turnigy DS480 the GA-250 works on 1520us servos. Sadly not on mine. I pulled it off the heli and set it on my rotating stand still coupled with the gyro and it bounced itself all over the place like a jumping bean with absolutely no movement. So, I have two questions. One, does this only work on 1520? The reason I still ask is obvious. Two, I am planning on using one on my friends new parkflyer with a vtail mixer since it is his first plane and I am fairly certain they are analog servos.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 12:23 PM
The art of airbrush
Österreich
Joined Jul 2010
83 Posts
Hi Meng!

Do you have data for the HK15158A Digital Servo so we can setup GA250accordingly?? Would be great...

Thanks!
rcpaintworks is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintworks
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 01:07 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
I just tested that servo yesterday on the turnigy tester at 1520us. The servo just pegs to one side on the other setting which I think it's 760us...sorry, I'm not looking at it at the moment, but these are the only two settings on this tester. Here's a video of that.
Turnigy 760LV-HV Dual Pulse Width Selectable Servo Tester - 3 of 3 (6 min 44 sec)


Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpaintworks View Post
Hi Meng!

Do you have data for the HK15158A Digital Servo so we can setup GA250accordingly?? Would be great...

Thanks!
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 01:18 PM
Skint since 2000
ghost2212's Avatar
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
I just tested that servo yesterday on the turnigy tester at 1520us. The servo just pegs to one side on the other setting which I think it's 760us...sorry, I'm not looking at it at the moment, but these are the only two settings on this tester. Here's a video of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LRrGvY-E-M
What pack are you using to power them servo's with? It looks like a 9.6v pack
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
It sure is. It's the tenergy battery 9.6v nimh pack. I think the servo tester takes anything from 9 to 12 volts. It's on the side of the servo and that's the only one I had with a futaba connector. It comes with a jr connector I think, but I changed it to the futaba because I like the tab which only lets you plug it in one way which the tester also supports. Here's one of the 2 videos I made for that battery. Check my other videos and you can see the other stuff. The link where you can buy the battey is in the pictures, just read the description.
Tenergy 2000 mAh Battery - 1 of 2 (1 min 33 sec)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
What pack are you using to power them servo's with? It looks like a 9.6v pack
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
Skint since 2000
ghost2212's Avatar
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
It sure is. It's the tenergy battery 9.6v nimh pack. I think the servo tester takes anything from 9 to 12 volts. It's on the side of the servo and that's the only one I had with a futaba connector. It comes with a jr connector I think, but I changed it to the futaba because I like the tab which only lets you plug it in one way which the tester also supports. Here's one of the 2 videos I made for that battery. Check my other videos and you can see the other stuff. The link where you can buy the battey is in the pictures, just read the description.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke4WWGhwXSs
That means your servo's are getting the pack voltage which is way to high,
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 01:36 PM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
just a quick comment on SMM vs MEMS... SMM is (or became) a subgroup of MEMS... a SMM is also a MEMS (but not necessarily vice versa)... and in fact the SMM in the GY401 is called by the original sensor manufacturer themself (silicon sensing) a "silicon MEMS" (http://www.siliconsensing.com/gyros)... these gyro designers are creative... HL, HH, AVHS...
Thanks OlliW!
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 01:53 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
That's a very interesting observation. I just got this thing yesterday so I was just testing it. But I believe you are correct. I just looked up at the specs again and it does say not to put in a higher voltage than what the servo can take. Weird though, because I did the same thing with the other servos which are I think the same voltage but didn't even get warm. So other than using an esc, what else can I use since I don't have a spare esc to put between the battery and the tester and I guess we can assume the tester uses the input voltage. Now I'm interested in using and esc and see what the exis do. But I got them installed, so maybe later or when I get another spare esc. Thanks for catching that though. I don't want to fry any servos. I like the centering function, it's great before you even put the servos in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
That means your servo's are getting the pack voltage which is way to high,
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 02:36 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
efx,
Your powering the servo with 9.6V battery Tx battery?
Is the voltage of the power source to that tester the same voltage that is going to the Servos? If so,your gonna fry your servos if they are not rated for that high a voltage. Most DC motors can take a higher voltage if you don't put them under load, so the motors are not likely fried. But those boards will have capacitors on them. If you apply a higher voltage than the capacitor rating, they can burst and fail. Failure will be based on the voltage you apply and for how long + a random factor of chaos thrown in there. You might want to figure all this out before you post more videos of "testing" a servo my friend.
1520uS/760uS is the centering pulse width of a servo. 760 is the new ultra narrow band standard. Those servos that use 760 are designed for tail servos to update faster and thus gives better tail control.

If you apply 760uS to an analog servo like that EXIS1123, it may go bonkers on you and try to stall out the motor as it tries to slam the servo all the way over. Be careful.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Turnigy Mini Mems/SJGD Mini Mems Programming Box Help jon6565 3D Electric Heli Flying 6 May 15, 2012 01:15 AM
New Product New HobbyKing Mini MEMS Gyro bwoollia Electric Heli Talk 3 Nov 01, 2010 10:16 PM
Question MEMs gyro accuracy BarrelRoll UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 8 Oct 26, 2007 08:06 AM