HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:19 PM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I agree. The thin tape seems too thin and the thick tape seems to thick, and too soft. I'd like to see some double sided tape, more like the thickness of the align tape (~2mm).
ok, i will ask our guys checked that again. i remeber our tapes size are same as the other gyro makers' done.

meng
ASSAN is offline Find More Posts by ASSAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:50 PM
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
got a in stock notice and checked, my order says I have one reserved the stock still says backorder so they must not have got enough in to fill all the orders but looks like mine made it yeah!!!!!!!!!!
Your post prompted me to check my account. Mine shows "reserved" now! I hope that means we both will get shipped soon.
thrustboy is offline Find More Posts by thrustboy
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:50 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Test flight went pretty well!
I thought the 401B was performing very well on my bird, but this gyro shows me the difference. Normally i come out of a stationary flip or fast loop a little crooked, and i thought i was just messing up giving a little unwanted stick movements. I dont have EXPO on my Tx, so any error in control wil be shown in flight. My flips and loops look much cleaner with the GA-250, but more noticeable to me i feel much more confident flying in the confined space now. I just kicked it around not worrying coming out a loop wrong and smashing into a house again.

One problem i found is after a left piro it over compensates to stop the taiol and it wags once or twice, and that doesnt go away with very low gain.

I will play around with the servo horn position to see if i can get it better.

Video will be uploaded in about an hour
Quite common to get bounce on left piro stop. Had to spend a bit of time to dial this out on my Gaui 200 with a Quark (no programmer at hand).

Bounce on stop is usually overshoot. The gyro expects the tail to stop at a certain speed and commands it to do so. If the tail doesn't stop fast enough the gyro has to move the tail back to where it was asked to stop, once again if it doesn't stop fast enough it overshoots. This creates a bounce.

Firstly I'd try one hole further out on the servo horn with appropriate gain change and see how the tail behaves on harsh stop.

Regarding gyro pads.
The Spartan Quark is supplied with 1mm pads and 3mm soft pads. They seem to work quite well for their intended use.
Looking at the HK pics the pads supplied with the gA250 look very similar.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:34 PM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Quite common to get bounce on left piro stop. Had to spend a bit of time to dial this out on my Gaui 200 with a Quark (no programmer at hand).

Bounce on stop is usually overshoot. The gyro expects the tail to stop at a certain speed and commands it to do so. If the tail doesn't stop fast enough the gyro has to move the tail back to where it was asked to stop, once again if it doesn't stop fast enough it overshoots. This creates a bounce.

Firstly I'd try one hole further out on the servo horn with appropriate gain change and see how the tail behaves on harsh stop.
thanks, Amp.

i hope that's can be sloved.

Quote:
Regarding gyro pads.
The Spartan Quark is supplied with 1mm pads and 3mm soft pads. They seem to work quite well for their intended use.
Looking at the HK pics the pads supplied with the gA250 look very similar.

Amp
yes, you are right. Quark's tape are same.1mm and 3mm.Align is different,it's 2mm.

meng
ASSAN is offline Find More Posts by ASSAN
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:05 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
-----One problem i found is after a left piro it over compensates to stop the taiol and it wags once or twice, and that doesnt go away with very low gain.----
Many gyro's do this if the servo linkage is not adjusted well in rate mode.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:16 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Many gyro's do this if the servo linkage is not adjusted well in rate mode.
Good point! I set it up in rate mode so that the slider is centered on the tail shaft. this gives most equal movement speed from the servo, but perhaps the gyro is designed to put it a little inward in rate mode.

By the way, the piro speed at 110% endpoint on rudder is CRAZY fast, even against main rotor torque. I did not have time to vids upload yet, connection keeps dropping here confusing youtube.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:02 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Try rate mode setup by adjusting the servo position and fine tune with tail control rod length so the heli does not yaw at all in the mode you prefer to fly in (norm, st1, st2 etc). Disregard where the slider sits on the tail shaft. The forces are not equal so the slider doesn't need to be centred.

Should get better HH performance and a higher gain figure (not that the number really correlates to anything specific)

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:09 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustboy View Post
Your post prompted me to check my account. Mine shows "reserved" now! I hope that means we both will get shipped soon.
me too ! i guess they had enough stock , mine say they shipped today
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:26 AM
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
Same here. Just checked the email and the order is now listed as shipped.

Good luck to all those still waiting!
thrustboy is offline Find More Posts by thrustboy
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:44 AM
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
57 Posts
Received an e-mail this morning stating my gyro and metal gear servos have been dispatched for the warehouse. I'm so excited - it's like xmas all over again!

This was the first time that I ordered from Hobby King when something was BK. It wasn't a bad experience at all. In all it was about an one week wait.
deedub35 is offline Find More Posts by deedub35
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:56 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,274 Posts
Order a gaui425 there and feel my hurts....
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,274 Posts
GA 250 test flight 1 (5 min 43 sec)

ill upload the second one now
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:06 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,274 Posts
Did some more bench testing. The 401B does also have the overshoot output. I cant see any difference by eye between servo movement of the GA-250 and 401.
The gain can be set much higher on the GA-250, making it super sensitive, but i dont think anyone can run a servo at 100% gain anyway. Also got my spare henge 922 micro servo to compare to the 9257 mini servo.... The 9257 looks almost twice as fast, so i dont think ill try the henge again.

GA-250 test flight 2.AVI (9 min 33 sec)
Last edited by sp00fman; Jan 18, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:24 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,890 Posts
Got to fly my stock Align 450 Sport today (DS420 on tail with a 7.5mm horn setting). It was very windy and I was flying in a fairly small space. The GA250 flew very much like the GP780 and the gain also wanted to be set the same (too high for my liking, so I must try a hole further out on the horn).

The differences I could see was that the GA250 wants to have less expo set in the TX (perhaps some is already built in to the gyro) and the piro stop gain seems to be too high (bounces on stop, which the GP780 didn't do).

The tail also held well in the wind, so for $10 this gyro is a real gem.

I'll report more when I have less wind and more room to throw it around a bit.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:10 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,377 Posts
sp00fman, looks like you got your $9 worth at least! Thanks for posting. I'm really looking forward to getting mine, which is reserved right now.

Brian
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia