SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:15 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
yancovitch

That's an interesting idea. I've got 4 free channels for my transmitter/receiver so it's doable from that end. Anyone have an idea about how that would actually work? Having a small and light device that can play a loud recording of a single cannon shot on cue, and repeatable?
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
A speaker might work. I know that most RC tanks use them, especially the Tamiya and Heng Long 1:16 scale tanks. Those can get pretty loud. I don't know how it would compare to a gas-powered system or a pyrotechnic system, though.
kotori87 is offline Find More Posts by kotori87
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
maybe some kind of sound activated sensor which, when receiving the sound sample, would cause the release of baby powder or whatever.....
but i have no experience in this....such amazing technological devices available these days...anything's possible.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
Well I just ran some tests using a prototype MJV-2 pneumatic cannon, and the results were not satisfactory. It made an impressive cloud of baking flour, but no matter how I tried it still sounded like a hiss rather than a bang. I even tried loading the barrel with a ball bearing to see if that would get a better sound, but it just doesn't sound like a gun. At this point, I can think of three options:

1) pyrotechnics, possibly using a flammable gas if you want reloading;

2) pop a small balloon, perhaps a water balloon filled with air;

3) a speaker, similar to those used in 1:16 scale RC tanks.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Good work Kotori. Well it certainly would be different to hear a voice coming from an r/c boat yelling something like "Prepare to fire cannon!" followed by a boom and cloud of "smoke". Many possibilities with something like that.

So what would be your advice for what to order from Strike Models to get started?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Here is last week's update from my website. We've talked past the end part already:

To get started in this hobby I bought some balsawood blocks and an X-acto knife and carved two whaleboats and a dinghy. That was nine months ago. This week I finally got around to painting them and crafting some davits, hanging tackle, and making the railing for the poop deck. The dinghy is a bit small... the whaleboats are somewhat canoe-ish looking... but hey it adds a little more fun to the Beagle's look.

Meanwhile, my "shipyard" got upgraded from the card table I've been using to a more solid sewing machine cabinet. I was probably lucky that the table didn't get knocked over by any of our foster dogs, the latest being a 60 pound Husky.

Now for the really fun stuff. Firing cannons!

I initially toyed with the idea of making working gunports to fire multiple cannons. But since the open ports would be so close to the waterline at 1:36 (and the Beagle never actually fired a broadside at an enemy) in the end I opted against it. Captain Fitzroy (the Beagle's captain during Darwin's voyage) would have only fired his guns as a last resort anyway because they might harm the sensitive chronometers in the stern. (One of the Beagle's main objectives was to take precise time/sun position measurements to figure out the planet's longitude points.)

The Beagle did have a six-pounder carronade prominently displayed on her forecastle so I've decided to just go with that. (A sister ship of the Beagle's Cherokee class was actually attacked and sunk by a pirate ship, so I don't want her to be completely unarmed.

So the goal will be to have the carronade be able to fire as a signal gun. To do that, the two main options in this hobby seem to be either using a modern version of black power and electric igniter to create a small explosion or to use a CO2 canister to pressure shoot a projectile or simulated smoke. Lots of research to be done.

Also, I've been scouting for a better place to sail the Beagle.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
I Like your boats. They really add a lot to the Beagle. I bet they will look better to your eye (btw, the builder's eye is always more critical than the pondside crowd's eye) when Beagle is at sea. I base that assertion on the fact that even my bottle boats, which are about as unscale/ungainly as it's possible to be, look pretty neat 20' off shore :-).
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:23 PM
Parker, Colorado
Joined Sep 2008
498 Posts
Beautiful build.

Can you give some tips on building from a solid trunk? What do you know now that you wished you had known when you started? Anything to watch out for?

Do you think Aspen is a suitable wood for a 24 inch sloop? Also, your piece of pear was still fairly green i would think, did you dry it out somehow?

Was the piece clean of knots and such, if not how did you work around that?

Also what cutting wheel did you use to clean out the hull, you described a chain like device but i never got what it was called.

Thanks for the help and advice

stew
stewmeat95 is offline Find More Posts by stewmeat95
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Just got back from our annual week long camping trip (me, my wife and fifteen in-laws!) Wish I had room to bring my Beagle with me as there were lots of sweet ponds and lakes in NE Indiana.

Hi stewmeat95,

Looking back I'm not sure I would have done anything differently making the hull. The only tools I used for hollowing it out and shaping was a hand axe and a hammer & chisel, so it was pretty labor intensive, but fun for me.

I'm not sure about the qualities of aspen. I got a hold of the pear tree the day after it got knocked over by a storm, the same week I was ready to start building a hull, so I wasn't going to wait a couple of months or more for it to dry. The wood seemed pretty ideal in that it was somewhat soft when you first cut it, but then it would harden after being exposed to the air.

The limb I picked had some knots, but fortunately they were all away from my final edges. The only real issue I had was a few cracks forming here and there before I could get the sides thin enough. I just filled them with wood filler and gave the inside a good coating of waterproof wood glue.

For the final precise shaping I used my ancient hand drill with sanding paper and did some whittling with a buck knife.

Obviously there's nothing efficient about using simple hand tools for this kind of project. Its more something to do for the experience of doing it. I probably wouldn't do it again... although I do have the main tree trunk from the pear tree in my garage, which conveniently became my work bench.

Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:17 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Stewmeat, the chainsaw cutter link is here, Post#6:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...w#post12901743

Be careful, the cutter has the potential to do immediate damage to any flesh or bone that gets in the way. Since the cutter is a disk, it wants to walk, so you need to have the hull *solidly* clamped down. And you need to have an unbreakable grip on the machine. The instructions specify a machine with instant braking action upon release of the trigger.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:47 PM
Parker, Colorado
Joined Sep 2008
498 Posts
Dear god. Im going to stay away from that at all costs.
stewmeat95 is offline Find More Posts by stewmeat95
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
How small can you make a r/c sailboat?

The original Beagle carried a 26 foot cutter, which at 1:36 ratio would be just under nine inches long with my build. Is that too small to fit in two mini servos for a sail and rudder and battery and receiver (and maybe a small propeller), and actually sail it?
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
If it has sufficient displacement that it doesn't sink under the weight of servos, batteries, etc. then you probably can. Try it, you never know. And if it works, then you can have a buddy on the water, too!
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:22 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Meatbomber is your man for small RC sailboats:
7" sloop
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=meatbomber
10.5" brigantine
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=meatbomber

Micro &sub micro boats forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/micro-and-sub-micro-boats-696/
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Brooks

Wow that little 7 inch sailboat of his is inspiring. "The Hull was made in about 1 hour..." Lol I doubt that would be my timeline. Talent plus experience rocks!

Well now I have three different sub-projects for the Beagle. Tons of details like ladders, companion hatches, crows nest... A firing signal gun (either blackpower or CO2 powered). A sail-able cutter.

But first priority is to find a better place to sail (all the private places I've scouted nearby won't let me "In case you fall in or something"). I'm joining Indy Admirals, the r/c club in my city. No one has a square rigger but they do lots of sailboat racing so they've pointed me to several places.

I still don't know how she'll do with a big knockdown wind, if she sinks, or what. During the camping trip I did a little "recovery swim" practice. Hopefully we'll have some good sailing wind this weekend.