SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:10 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
Andrew, light and variable winds are the most frustrating sailing conditions to be had!
I find Somers at her best in a nice steady t'gallant breeze, about 10kts. where she can manouver with impunity and sail at her hull speed without having to fear knockdowns.

you`ll be surprised how much of a difference a nice and steady wind makes. I hope that teh pond you sail on is obstacle free on the side the prevailing wind is coming from, just the turbulence / lee from a few bushes can make great stretches of a pond nearly un-sailable.

cheers
MB
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:58 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Meatbomber

I picked the Reflecting Pond because it was weed free and only 3 feet deep, so easy to deal with all the expected bugs of my first few sails.

As you can see from the pic its surrounded by buildings. Once I get a little more confidence I'll scout for a less obstructed pond.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
After the sail I added the fore course to the sail plan, and made a somewhat simplified beak, complete with two "seats of leisure". Sure breaks up the flat line of the bow.

Next I hand-carved a pudgy beagle figurehead using the same pear wood that I carved the hull from, which came (if you recall) from the knocked-over pear tree in the front yard of the Humane Society (where I had walked several actual beagles as a volunteer).

There's some debate if the real Beagle had a figurehead or not, but I think it adds a fun character to the ship... aka... "look mommy, there's a doggie on the front!"
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:29 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,392 Posts
As MB said, it's much easier to sail on a pond with unobstructed wind flow. But if you are having fun, then that's all that really counts :-)

I like the Beagle :-))
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Thanks Brooks.
Last edited by Jpop Andrew; Jul 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:57 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,295 Posts
Nice doggie.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
I posted this question over at the R/C Naval Combat Forum http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/tabid/5...1/Default.aspx but I'll go ahead and post it here as well:

-- Cannon options for HMS Beagle "signal gun" --

Hello everyone. At some point in the future I'm hoping to make my hometown's namesake, the USS Indianapolis. Until then, and as a way of getting an introduction into model ship combat, I'm looking to add some type of firing cannon for my HMS Beagle. But I need some help.

Here's what I'm thinking about, but I'm open to whatever you all think would work.

A single cannon, with a 1 to 1 1/2 inch long barrel, to sit up on the forecastle, able to fire 1 to 6 bbs (well more likely balls of flour or fish food pellets).

There's a 4 x 4 inch area on the forecastle to mount the actual gun from. Directly below the deck there is a 2 inch tall area for stowing a CO2 canister and other components on the main deck. And if needed there's more room below the main deck inside the hull.

So my question is, how would you go about making a single barrel, 1 to 6 shot bb gun, that would look like an actual cannon?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:29 PM
Joined Oct 2006
832 Posts
now there's a scary thought...at least the bb part....don't even see a pea shooter these days.......i must be missing something....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Hey yancovitch

One combo idea I had was to somehow use the air flow from a CO2 canister to both shoot out a ball of flour (or something like it) and strike a cap-gun round.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some fun way to simulate the firing of a signal cannon from the forecastle of my Beagle that I can fire multiple times.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
147 Posts
(copied forom the RCNC forum)

Keep in mind that both Fast Gun and Big Gun style cannons are designed to launch round steel projectiles fast enough to penetrate thin sheets of balsa wood. They make certain assumptions about the material strength of the projectile. For example, a 6mm paintball would destroy itself if fired from a 1/4" Big Gun cannon, and I don't think a small lump of flour would fare much better in a Fast Gun cannon. So it would probably help to define your objective a little more clearly. How important is reloading capability? How important is the cannon's power? How important is the scale appearance of the cannon, and the smoke-and-flash effect from firing?

It would be very easy to build a safe, compact single-shot cannon capable of firing almost anything, including flour, baby powder, fish food pellets, etc. You just need an air source (regulated CO2 or propel), an MAV-2 valve, a cannon, and an air line going from the MAV-2 valve to the back of the cannon. Load it up with flour or baby powder and you'll get a nice cloud of smoke when you fire. Simple, compact, and general-purpose, but not reloading and not powerful enough to penetrate balsa wood.

If you want a reloading cannon that shoots bbs, then a fast-gun style cannon from Strike Models would do the trick just fine. A 16-gram CO2 cartridge is enough to completely fire a 50-round cannon, so ammunition and endurance would be good. If you go with a 1.5 to 2 inch barrel, you will lose a lot of hitting power, however. It will also be harder to conceal the brass 90* elbow fitting at the back end of the barrel, and you will not get any flash or smoke.

If you're looking for smoke effect and "bang" with at least some reloading capability, I believe it's possible to meet those goals using a modified "arizona" style cannon. Take a look here:
http://www.queensown.org/armament/gun-construction.html
you would replace the tube magazine with a medicine bottle or similar, filled with flour or baby powder, and increase the angle of the final piece of magazine tubing so it should be able to gravity feed. Note that this cannon is kinda tall, so it might not fit into the fo'c'sle area. I don't know for certain how much of a smoke cloud this would make, but it would certainly make a nice bang, and it would be reloading.

Another possibility that might work is to use the Arizona cannon base (accumulator plus MJV-2 valve), with a medicine bottle in place of the T-shaped breech mechanism. The wave of air pressure would pick up some flour from the medicine bottle, then go up, around the bend, and out the barrel. Again it would be height-intensive, but it has good potential. I may even be able to test this one. I've got a few spare MJV-2 valves, and a few spare short-length barrels. All I need is a medicine bottle, some super glue, and a drill and we'll know how well it works.
kotori87 is offline Find More Posts by kotori87
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:55 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Kotori

There's a ship called the Lady Love http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/h/chrisgski/page16.htm that might have something like what I'm looking for. Here is how the builder describes it:

"Cannons equipment is installed. After small explosion, I upgraded the plastic lines to thicker rubber lines. The mav-2 valves are from www.Swampworks.com. I later then added the talcum powder kegs between the valves and the cannons, for an awesome visual display."

Do you recognize this setup?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:24 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,575 Posts
It poofs talcum powder from an aerosol can - no bang. It's the bang that makes it a "salute."
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Oct 2006
832 Posts
hmmm....maybe this is silly, but what about a recorded bang.....on flying models, one can have a recording of the actual engine sound installed in the aircraft..it's very effective.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 12, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Dec 2006
147 Posts
That looks like the standard firing mechanism for RC combat warships. In Fast Gun, the MAV valves charge up the guns until they reach firing pressure, and then the guns fire. In Big Gun, the MAV valves send air to the actuator on a much larger buna-ball poppet valve, which in turn dumps a large accumulator of air into the main cannon mechanism to fire it.

I'm a little surprised it doesn't make a bang, but not too much. To get a bang, you need a sudden change in pressure. a MAV-2 valve, when pressed, simply makes a hissing sound. Put a barrel on it and put a bb in that barrel, and it makes a pretty little bang. The ball slows down the air a little, allowing it to build up the pressure necessary to get a bang.

I'll try to run some experiments on Thursday or Friday. MAV-2's are pretty weak, but the larger MJV-2 valves and JEV-3 valves make a more distinctive pop when done right, maybe comparable to bursting a small balloon. Hopefully a tube of flour will be enough to get a good sound and flash.
kotori87 is offline Find More Posts by kotori87
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Cool Kotori. I'll be looking forward to your results.