HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:28 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,541 Posts
Hi Jack

Yes the regulator has just three connections ... one is a common ground (both input and output -ve are connected to it). The other two connections are +ve in and +ve out.

A diode is basically like a one-way valve, so in principle it can go in either cable to the camera ... provided it's connected the right way round! The band round the diode body (you can see it in my picture) shows the end that goes to -ve.

Good luck with yours!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:53 PM
No Title Provided
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Excellent, many thanks Bill. I will hopefully do this at the weekend so will let you know how I get on then.
Coralus is offline Find More Posts by Coralus
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Hello, I have an older jumbo #11 camera and the lens has slightly fogged up due to use in wet weather, can I change the lens or get into it to clean it....what is the best method?

I have a newer model(DOA) it was sold as a 11# jumbo but has the newer usb and detachable 120 lens and battery connections. Is it possible to stick the 120 lens on the old model? The old models lens looks glued on with clear hard gel.

Thanks for any advice!
jax 808 is offline Find More Posts by jax 808
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax 808 View Post
Hello, I have an older jumbo #11 camera and the lens has slightly fogged up due to use in wet weather, can I change the lens or get into it to clean it....what is the best method?

I have a newer model(DOA) it was sold as a 11# jumbo but has the newer usb and detachable 120 lens and battery connections. Is it possible to stick the 120 lens on the old model? The old models lens looks glued on with clear hard gel.

Thanks for any advice!

Oh, I see, the lens just screws off and that's the sensor underneath right?
jax 808 is offline Find More Posts by jax 808
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:58 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax 808 View Post
Oh, I see, the lens just screws off and that's the sensor underneath right?
Yes. The existing lens may have condensation internally. It might disappear if you store it in a warm, dry place for a while.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:47 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Rambouillet
Joined Dec 2008
308 Posts
PLEASE HELP

A couple of time ago, I bought a camera, maybe a #11 clone, on the ebay. It looks like in the attached file. At the begining a very well working for about 45 min recording time during some mounths. Afterwards time recording time progressively reduced. Now I suceed to record for about 5 min. The ".avi" file could not be read.
I should be very indebted to you if you could let me know if there is a means to repaire it. If not, I will through it.

Yours sincerely,
Georges
Georges41 is offline Find More Posts by Georges41
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:14 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges41 View Post
PLEASE HELP

A couple of time ago, I bought a camera, maybe a #11 clone, on the ebay. It looks like in the attached file. At the begining a very well working for about 45 min recording time during some mounths. Afterwards time recording time progressively reduced. Now I suceed to record for about 5 min. The ".avi" file could not be read.
I should be very indebted to you if you could let me know if there is a means to repaire it. If not, I will through it.

Yours sincerely,
Georges
That sounds like a dead battery - they don't last for ever.
The 'official' sellers - listed in Posting #2(I think) will sell you a new one for a small sum - 3 or 4 dollars.
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges41 View Post
PLEASE HELP

Yours sincerely,
Georges
Your picture shows a completely different camera than the #11. Judging from the wide tracks, most probably a very, very inferior camera that cost about $7-$9. You may be able to identify it from Chuck Lohr's site.

This site only handles questions about the #11. You may have more luck in the Mega keyfob thread, but I would think it's high time to buy a real 720P 808
#11, #18 and #16 are by far the most popular. The difference compared to your camera in video quality and camera functionality is gigantic

These cheap batteries don't last forever, and some are better than others.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
hi everyone...
i bought the #11 key cam (in the #18 case) and i had a problem.
This is my experience:
- I turn on the camera and I record a 30 minute video... everything was ok! (the video is inside the memory card and the quality was good).
- I deleted the video and turned off the camera.
- I plugged the usb and let the key cam in charge for 1 hour until red light turn off.
- I turn on the camera and I start to record untill the battery run out (it took about 1 hour)
[and this is the only thing i need. I don't mind if video is splitted or entire. I don't mind if i see time stamps... i only need a camera that records and saves video until the battery run out ]
- I plug the camera to usb again and the red light goes on...
- I try to turn on the camera for see the result (yellow light) but nothing happens... The camera seems to charge but I can't turn it on (with or without an sd card, with or without usb plugged)...

My key cam is died?
what happens?

I'm pretty sure the model is the V2 (is the same of this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9720)

I would like to try to load a new firmware... (I didn't do yet) but in this case should I use this (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...stcount=9323)?

Hope you can help me my friends...
macaseno is offline Find More Posts by macaseno
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaseno View Post
hi everyone...
i bought the #11 key cam (in the #18 case) and i had a problem.
This is my experience:
- I turn on the camera and I record a 30 minute video... everything was ok! (the video is inside the memory card and the quality was good).
- I deleted the video and turned off the camera.
- I plugged the usb and let the key cam in charge for 1 hour until red light turn off.
- I turn on the camera and I start to record untill the battery run out (it took about 1 hour)
[and this is the only thing i need. I don't mind if video is splitted or entire. I don't mind if i see time stamps... i only need a camera that records and saves video until the battery run out ]
- I plug the camera to usb again and the red light goes on...
- I try to turn on the camera for see the result (yellow light) but nothing happens... The camera seems to charge but I can't turn it on (with or without an sd card, with or without usb plugged)...

My key cam is died?
what happens?

I'm pretty sure the model is the V2 (is the same of this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9720)

I would like to try to load a new firmware... (I didn't do yet) but in this case should I use this (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...stcount=9323)?

Hope you can help me my friends...
I have recently had the same problem, albeit with a very old #11 running the latest firmware. First the camera destroyed my card when the battery ran low and the camera turned off. The card is no longer recognized, even when using an external reader. Then, like you, I had problems turning on the camera. However, I managed about two or three times to get the camera running again by pressing the reset button, but now it is completely dead. Replacing the battery with a known good and fully charged battery didn't help.

I don't know if our two problems are related but I have a feeling there is a link between the battery running low and the latest firmware.

I suggest you disconnect/reconnect the battery and use a new card. If you think you can manage, try removing and re-inserting your lens. I couldn't do this since my lens is soldered to the board.

If everything fails, I would contact your seller for a replacement
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I have recently had the same problem, albeit with a very old #11 running the latest firmware.
At last I think the problem is the opposite... Old firmware with new hardware (my key cam is this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9720)

Quote:
If everything fails, I would contact your seller for a replacement
[would you contact the seller for me? in this case the seller is http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53...uk/eletech086]

This is the second key cam that seller sent me after the first one that had the same problem in january... and I just received it yesterday!

Its very sad... I have to send it back again? It took 2 month last time...
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:07 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Rambouillet
Joined Dec 2008
308 Posts
Hi empeabee and Isoprop,

Thank you for the answer. I will buy a #16. It is prety that there is not a simple and robust possibility to debug this type of camera.

Yours,
Georges
Georges41 is offline Find More Posts by Georges41
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:15 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,541 Posts
Hi Georges

The #16 is a big improvement - much nicer to use. I still have a #11 but I consider it 'disposable' now!

As an aside there are new versions of the keyfob coming along very shortly that are slightly larger/heavier but will give higher quality ... including the option of 60 fps. E.g.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C26/index.html

So you might want to wait a couple of weeks for one of them (depending on cost etc.). They say the #16 will remain in production though.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:47 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Hi Georges

The #16 is a big improvement - much nicer to use. I still have a #11 but I consider it 'disposable' now!

As an aside there are new versions of the keyfob coming along very shortly that are slightly larger/heavier but will give higher quality ... including the option of 60 fps. E.g.

So you might want to wait a couple of weeks for one of them (depending on cost etc.). They say the #16 will remain in production though.
No information about if it will come with AV out ... but it is looking interesting

I see #18 prices are dropping already ...
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
At last I think the problem is the opposite... Old firmware with new hardware (my key cam is this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9720)

[would you contact the seller for me? in this case the seller is http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53...uk/eletech086]

This is the second key cam that seller sent me after the first one that had the same problem in january... and I just received it yesterday!

Its very sad... I have to send it back again? It took 2 month last time...
Quote:
Hi Georges

I'm sorry, but I have no relationship with your supplier so can't possibly contact him on your behalf .

I think the problem could be with the new GUI firmware versions. I never had problems with the old, non GUI versions and regret I updated all my old #11s. The new firmware is much better configuration-wise, but pretty useless if it destroys cards and bricks itself.

I know it's no help, but it seems a good number of others have also had problems with this camera so, in the long-run, have to agree with Bill Glover until these problems are fixed.

Tom has mentioned the #16 developer also has a new 1080p in the pipeline, so it may be a better choice than the #26. We'll see when these new generation cameras vaporise. There's no point in speculating.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:02 AM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,324 Posts
please excuse if this is not the perfect place to post this
but I just want a good 720 for basic movies off my small plane
audio is not required (if I have a choice )
I like the look of this on and it is from an ""approved"" vendor (post #2)
but beyond that ? i am lost
please inform me as to performance if you can
yes I know the betterones are coming but I just wanted a cheap good
camera for small plane...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-Car-Key...item25699062be

or is this one lots better ?
http://www.sourcingplaza.com/808-car...py-camera.html
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by K9000wner; Mar 30, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:20 AM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
I think the problem could be with the new GUI firmware versions. I never had problems with the old, non GUI versions and regret I updated all my old #11s. The new firmware is much better configuration-wise, but pretty useless if it destroys cards and bricks itself.
Thanks Isoprop... but at last i didn't know (and I still don't know) which firware is istalled. The key cam broke when i tested just out of the box, it was brand new.... and i can't istall another fimware because the key cam is completely died... however... :-)

I contacted the seller saying him if i can change the key cam with another model (number #18 seems to have much solid firmware)... do you think i'm doing the right choice? what do you recommend? I bought from eletech086 and him have more products... i can pay the difference. i would to know which key cam do what i want:
-record in 720p (minimum) [1080p it would be interesting but not required]
-the same dimension and forms of model #11
-and it's very important can save the whole video when battery run out (don't mind if splitted or entire)

and of course don't broke just when i try it... :-)

thanks a lot
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Isoprop... but at last i didn't know (and I still don't know) which firware is istalled. The key cam broke when i tested just out of the box, it was brand new.... and i can't istall another fimware because the key cam is completely died... however... :-)

I contacted the seller saying him if i can change the key cam with another model (number #18 seems to have much solid firmware)... do you think i'm doing the right choice? what do you recommend? I bought from eletech086 and him have more products... i can pay the difference. i would to know which key cam do what i want:
-record in 720p (minimum) [1080p it would be interesting but not required]
-the same dimension and forms of model #11
-and it's very important can save the whole video when battery run out (don't mind if splitted or entire)

and of course don't broke just when i try it... :-)

thanks a lot
The #18 is identical to the #11! I can only recommend the #16 until the low-battery bug is solved. Unfortunately your seller doesn't stock the #16 because it's from his competitor. Maybe ask your seller to fully test your camera when the battery dies before he sends it to you. I'm afraid I don't have any other advice, it's just a very unsatisfactory situation.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:27 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
My #11 today just decided on his own to shut down after 4m10s of video

Battery should not be that low .. and it was not that cold outside, (+3 deg, so above the freezing) ... any idea?

At least it was not a total fail, but I lost over 50% of my test video
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
My #11 today just decided on his own to shut down after 4m10s of video

Battery should not be that low .. and it was not that cold outside, (+3 deg, so above the freezing) ... any idea?

At least it was not a total fail, but I lost over 50% of my test video
That's still too cold for a normal duration from a lipo cell. Your battery may also be wearing out. It may charge to essentially full voltage, but cannot maintain voltage as well as it delivers current due to internal cell plating which increase internal resistance.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:13 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9000wner View Post
please excuse if this is not the perfect place to post this
but I just want a good 720 for basic movies off my small plane
audio is not required (if I have a choice )
I like the look of this on and it is from an ""approved"" vendor (post #2)
but beyond that ? i am lost
please inform me as to performance if you can
yes I know the betterones are coming but I just wanted a cheap good
camera for small plane...

or is this one lots better ?
http://www.sourcingplaza.com/808-car...py-camera.html
Neither of the two cameras you've linked to are 720p, they are lower resolution.

There are several genuine 720p models available, but they are more money than the two SD cameras you've listed, so have a look at Chuck Lohr's website where he lists your options.

I personally like the #16.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:36 PM
Canada, ON, Lakeshore
Joined Nov 2007
139 Posts
Lighter weight camera?

I've got the key chain camera and weight is about 16g. I'm looking for something about 8g to put on a Hubsan X4. I was hoping someone here might know of something.

Thanks,
Fred
fredle is offline Find More Posts by fredle
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:58 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredle View Post
I've got the key chain camera and weight is about 16g. I'm looking for something about 8g to put on a Hubsan X4. I was hoping someone here might know of something.

Thanks,
Fred
Just look the previous pages of this thread, and you will see how to light up the #11 on a X4

Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:08 PM
Canada, ON, Lakeshore
Joined Nov 2007
139 Posts
Oh - cool!

Thanks,
Fred
fredle is offline Find More Posts by fredle
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:47 AM
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,324 Posts
thanks airmob

still confused as I thought ...
Video Format : AVI
Video Encode : M-JPEG
Video Resolution: 720*480. ****************

Video Frame Rate: 30 fps

that was what I was looking for...
didnt want to spend 40-50$ on #16 / #16v2
perhaps someone wants to tradeup ...let a good #3/#11 go?

just for kicks can anyone Identify ....

Thanks for you r help
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:46 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
thanks airmob

Thanks for you r help
#18 cost 29.9$

Walkeria Dv04 , cost 27$ shipped ..

This 15$ cam is look a very bad pick up from ebay ... I got a similar one years ago for much lesa, before HD key cam arrived on market

Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:
thanks airmob

Thanks for you r help
Cameras like you are looking for are discussed in the "mega keyfob camera" thread. There's about a dozen of them now, and you might get more input in that thread. I still have a couple of the original #3 cameras in good working condition, but for what they are worth used, it's not worth parting with them.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 02, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:59 AM
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,324 Posts
Ok thanks for the help

over n out
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2013, 10:59 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Well my #11 has served me well. I was wondering, don't remember reading, can you record and output at the same time with the #11? For micro FPV?
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Old Apr 08, 2013, 06:06 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,541 Posts
Only with the #16 V2, AFAIK.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 06:28 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Only with the #16 V2, AFAIK.
#18 too

Walkera DV04 also (the cheapest of all in HD, only 27$ shipped)

Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:42 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
Hi everyone - It's been a good while since I last posted, so I thought I'd share a mod that will eliminate the annoying 'buzzing' sound and/or video artifacts, as the battery starts to run down on your #11 camera. This issue was addressed of course with the launch of the #16, but to the best of my knowledge at the time of posting, still remains a problem with #11.

As a bonus to this relatively simple fix, your battery life should be extended by around 15% (in tests), adding 6 minutes or so to your current recording time using a good 250mAh LiPo cell
The cause of these sound and video issues centres around the stock 3.3V voltage regulator fitted on the front (USB socket side) of the PCB. The IC is a 5-pin SOT-25 device marked 4A2* - the * is the batch code and will be a letter such as B D or C etc. The regulator fitted is a TOREX XC6204332 - datasheet HERE

Technical stuff :

There are two major problems with this factory fitted regulator : 1/ It has a maximum current rating of 150ma, but typically the device has to deliver over 100ma continuously and subsequently gets hot, wasting precious power. 2/ It has a high dropout voltage of 200mv (0.2V) rising to over 300mv at 100ma - this has a marked effect on the available recording time of the camera.

The replacement, a Texas Instruments TPS73633DBVT - datasheet HERE has a rated output current of 400ma, limited at 800ma. As a result it runs cool, disipating very little power.
In contrast, the dropout voltage of the TI regulator is specified at 75mv. However in practise it's much lower than this - I measured a miniscule dropout of just 26mv with a 100ma load.
The NMOS output stage and clever high frequency 4Mhz charge-pump make it a very efficient, low noise and reliable replacement for the original regulator.

I can't recommend this modification highly enough and at a cost of around 65 pence / $1 excluding shipping, makes it a very worthwhile and satifying mod. You may even be able to get a free sample from the TI website.
Yes, the regulator can be a bit fiddly to swap out if you're not used to handling surface mount devices, but after disconnecting the battery you can wrap the whole PCB in tin foil, neatly cutting out a small square hole where the regulator is. This will prevent solder splashes getting onto the PCB, as well as acting as a perfect anti-static sheild for the board. By far the easiest way to remove the IC, is to surround it in flux paste and heat the plastic package directly until the solder on all five legs melts. It can then be gently lifted off the board with a pair of fine-tipped tweezers.

You will notice from the TOREX datasheet that pin 4 is not used - NC (no connection), while the TI device uses this pin for a noise reduction capacitor (NR).
It appears that the the camera manufacturers decided to fit a 10nf capacitor to the PCB to cover all eventualities when sourcing 'equivalent' components.
If required, the value of this capacitor, circled in yellow on the third photo, can be increased in value from 10nf to 100nf to acheive a noise level of below 30 microvolts using the TI device specified here.

Have fun - Richard
Hello,

I made this mod to my second gen #11, the one after the initial batch, which allows you to install no timestamp firmware. A quite early batch.
The PCB differs a little though to the photos that have been uploaded.
It does not have a capacitor or diode above and to the left of the voltage regulator. Here is the PCB with the LDO removed.
Name: DSCN1841.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 197.1 KB
Description:

However the mod fixed the low voltage buzzing in sound the battery life got shorter instead of better.
Before the mod the battery lasted for 37mins recording @10.8K bitrate @4K cluster size formatted card @ Rel 1 firmware.
After 29mins 30 sec the buzzing was present to the video.

After the mod the battery lasts for 29mins 50sec. Exactlly as it is with the stock voltage regulator with no buzzing.
So I lost 7mins of recording time actually.
Hopefully the video is still saved if the battery gets exhausted.

By the way. I found easier to cut the chip`s legs with a sharp surgical blade, just being careful not to cut any traces on the PCB.
Then it was very easy to unsolder the remaining individual legs and solder back a fresh TI TPS73633DBVT with the help of a pen soldering iron and a ERSA 0832UD/SB tip. Using this tip I could even desolder and solder back a 0402 resistor.

Ohh, for anyone insterested the capacitor size is 0402, as it is with almost the majority of the SMD components there.

A good mod but unfortunately is not good for my version of PCB as it seems.

Modifications to reduce audio interference

This mod, the resistor and the capacitor, did not worked either. One camera has white noise if ambient audio level is low or it is quite/noone speaks, etc. If it is then the camera starts increasing the white noise level but if there is a sufficient audio level then it keeps the white noise level low.
Like it is trying to maintain a sound level to a given value or something, either with actual sound or white noise.

PS. I am very happy with both of my early #11`s. Both running Release 1 "exposure control" firmware, capturing at 10.7K bitrate with very sharp image and no focusing problems either if it is a close or distant capture.
And I DO like the colors as mostly I shoot personal videos (my kid) and vacation stuff.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:55 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Just to add, from what I believe the TPS73633DBVT voltage regulator changed the following:
It did not helped at all with its lower dropout voltage as it shuts down by the low voltage triggering (Enable pin of the LDO) when battery gets low.
So if I needed to extend the battery life I would had to mod the output of the "enable" output - I think.
As soon as the "enable" voltage gets low and the Torex LDO would start giving buzzing the TI LDO now shuts down.

So, it is far easier, safer and cost efficient to just replace the cover of the camera to a new bigger type and the battery to a 502030 (which fits with the help of the bigger case) or 602035 (which I wait to see if it fits).
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Looks like the 808 #26 is going to be a bit bigger. I have the 720p version that does the 120 degree angle of view. What AOV does the new 26 have? Looks more narrow. Will they do a 120 degree version?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Looks like the 808 #26 is going to be a bit bigger. I have the 720p version that does the 120 degree angle of view. What AOV does the new 26 have? Looks more narrow. Will they do a 120 degree version?
Any information that is currently available, is in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867332
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:37 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
I don't have this camera for evaluation yet, but most likely the 1280x720 video is a sub-sampled smaller area of the bigger 1080p imager. This smaller portion of the imager reduces the apparent AOV of the recorded image proportionally. It's probable the lens has an AOV close to 120 deg. to fully cover the 1920x1080 imager pixel array with enough over-coverage to eliminate much of the vignetting that occurs naturally at the extreme edges of the lens.

Once someone can get a sample camera in hand to do some testing, this is all speculation, however.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Blackburn
Joined May 2013
10 Posts
Optimum Settings

All.

Please could the good folk on here suggest to me the optimum settings for the 808 #16 V2 camera that would give me maximum recording time on a 32GB class 4 micro SD card.

My only Two requirements are best quality (HD) video and date / time stamp.

What would be the approximate maximum recording time I could expect from the suggested settings using the aforementioned 32GB card ?

The camera would be used in my truck and would be permenently connected to a power supply.

Regards, The Soulman.
The Soulman is offline Find More Posts by The Soulman
Old May 23, 2013, 05:11 AM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soulman View Post
All.

Please could the good folk on here suggest to me the optimum settings for the 808 #16 V2 camera that would give me maximum recording time on a 32GB class 4 micro SD card.

What would be the approximate maximum recording time I could expect from the suggested settings using the aforementioned 32GB card ?

The camera would be used in my truck and would be permenently connected to a power supply.

Regards, The Soulman.
You've accidentally posted in the wrong thread, you want the #16 thread that you've previously posted in.
Old May 23, 2013, 08:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soulman View Post
All.

Regards, The Soulman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
You've accidentally posted in the wrong thread, you want the #16 thread that you've previously posted in.
Besides being in the wrong thread, the max. recording times have been posted a few times in both this thread and the #16 thread. The recording times of the #16 are the same as the #11 which is approx. 10 hours for a 32GB card. The times vary with movement and lighting. I only use 7mb/s data rate because I see no difference between the 7mb/s and the 10mb/s settings. If you use 10mb/s I expect you'll get considerably less recording time.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:37 PM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Just received this camera from this guy. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1910359

and really the video quality is really crappy. is this real #11?

lightfighter363 is offline Find More Posts by lightfighter363
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:56 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter363 View Post
Just received this camera from this guy. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1910359

No .. you got a fake #11 cam ...

See post #1 for where to source and how is looking the real cam

Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:

No.

You can see what a #11 looks like inside here.

I think you've got a #9.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
That's what i thought.

he is selling another one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913462
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Yeh he's Bad bad guy DONT BUY IT PLEASE !!! OMG I posted the video for you to look at and you did not do it !!! And for the 100 th time send it back in working order like it was sent to u and get the $ back . OMG I'VE NEVER SEEN SOMEONE POST ON EVERY THREAD AND START A NEW THREAD ABOUT A $24 can that you didn't take 5min to learn about . I based my post and threads on the video I POSTED WHEN I SOLD IT AND I BOUGHT IT FROM THE SAME SELLER THAT THE GUY IN VIDEO BOUGHT HIS FROM !! Don't you think your getting a little shall we say well let's just leave it there . For the last time PM SAYS 10 TIMES SEND IT BACK K?
Gavinxman is offline Find More Posts by Gavinxman
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:26 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
That's what i thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinxman View Post
Yeh he's Bad bad guy DONT BUY IT PLEASE !!! OMG I posted the video for you to look at and you did not do it !!! And for the 100 th time send it back in working order like it was sent to u and get the $ back . OMG I'VE NEVER SEEN SOMEONE POST ON EVERY THREAD AND START A NEW THREAD ABOUT A $24 can that you didn't take 5min to learn about . I based my post and threads on the video I POSTED WHEN I SOLD IT AND I BOUGHT IT FROM THE SAME SELLER THAT THE GUY IN VIDEO BOUGHT HIS FROM !! Don't you think your getting a little shall we say well let's just leave it there . For the last time PM SAYS 10 TIMES SEND IT BACK K?
What a hack is this

Actually ... at second though ... there is nothing to smile about it.

#11 is #11 ... and the picture that I see before, that somebody sold as #11 ... was clearly a bad bad cheating ...

#11 is #11 ... Cristal clear to detect from the jungle of keycam ... it is the oldest , and the first good 720p ... in these days the best is #16 ... followed by a little by #18 and #11 ... original #18 that is better then #11 .. cost 29$ shipped ...
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Quote:
That's what i thought.

WHAT'S THIS SAY
NOTE: POSTS #1-#5 ARE NO LONGER BEING UPDATED BY YOURS TRULY AS OF 05/07/2012. THE ORIGINAL #11 WAS A LATE 2010 VINTAGE CAMERA AND HAS NOW BEEN TOTALLY RE-DESIGNED WITH A DIFFERENT CIRCUIT BOARD (EASILY DIFFERENTIATED BY THE THINNER 8-WIRE MINI-USB PLUG), DIFFERENT CABLES, A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT (THICKER) CASE, AND MOST IMPORTANT, DIFFERENT FIRMWARE! AS SUCH, MUCH OF THIS EARLY INFORMATION, ESPECIALLY THE FIRMWARE, IS NO LONGER APPLICABLE TO THE LATEST DESIGN! ALSO, THE DEVELOPER HAS RELEASED A MORE CAPABLE VERSION (THE #18), BUT THIS THREAD IS BEING KEPT OPEN FOR ON-GOING DISCUSSION AND WILL BE SUPPORTED MOSTLY BY OTHER MEMBERS HERE WHO FREQUENT THIS THREAD AND ARE STILL USING THE #11 CAMERA. ENJOY!

DID YOU EVEN READ THE 1st page of this thread ??? DO YOU READ OR WATCH ANY HELPFUL VIDEOS OR THREADS BEFORE YOU BASH SOMEONE WITH + feedback AND WHO HAS TOLD YOU 10 times to send it back NOT BROKEN and ill refund your $ in like 10 Pms??? No you started threads , posted in 4 and sent me 5 pm lolo OMG READ AND WATCH VIDS !! Before you buy anything just like that disco you didn't buy but I will . Great ? Look no hard feelings but THIS IS NOT HOW IT WORKS !! All you had to do was send me 1pm and let me see what your not happy with and LIKE I SAID I WOULD HAVE SAID JUST KEEP IT AND ID SEND YOUR $ BACK JUST TO MAKW YOU HAPPY SINCE ALL THIS ID ASK YOU TO PLEASE SEND BAVK THE WORKING Cam and ill refund your $$ no need to trash me in 100 threads just 1 pm would have been fine . Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:34 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
WHAT'S THIS SAY
NOTE: POSTS #1-#5 ARE NO LONGER BEING UPDATED BY YOURS TRULY AS OF 05/07/2012. THE ORIGINAL #11 WAS A LATE 2010 VINTAGE CAMERA AND HAS NOW BEEN TOTALLY RE-DESIGNED WITH A DIFFERENT CIRCUIT BOARD (EASILY DIFFERENTIATED BY THE THINNER 8-WIRE MINI-USB PLUG), DIFFERENT CABLES, A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT (THICKER) CASE, AND MOST IMPORTANT, DIFFERENT FIRMWARE! AS SUCH, MUCH OF THIS EARLY INFORMATION, ESPECIALLY THE FIRMWARE, IS NO LONGER APPLICABLE TO THE LATEST DESIGN! ALSO, THE DEVELOPER HAS RELEASED A MORE CAPABLE VERSION (THE #18), BUT THIS THREAD IS BEING KEPT OPEN FOR ON-GOING DISCUSSION AND WILL BE SUPPORTED MOSTLY BY OTHER MEMBERS HERE WHO FREQUENT THIS THREAD AND ARE STILL USING THE #11 CAMERA. ENJOY!

DID YOU EVEN READ THE 1st page of this thread ??? DO YOU READ OR WATCH ANY HELPFUL VIDEOS OR THREADS BEFORE YOU BASH SOMEONE WITH + feedback AND WHO HAS TOLD YOU 10 times to send it back NOT BROKEN and ill refund your $ in like 10 Pms??? No you started threads , posted in 4 and sent me 5 pm lolo OMG READ AND WATCH VIDS !! Before you buy anything just like that disco you didn't buy but I will . Great ? Look no hard feelings but THIS IS NOT HOW IT WORKS !! All you had to do was send me 1pm and let me see what your not happy with and LIKE I SAID I WOULD HAVE SAID JUST KEEP IT AND ID SEND YOUR $ BACK JUST TO MAKW YOU HAPPY SINCE ALL THIS ID ASK YOU TO PLEASE SEND BAVK THE WORKING Cam and ill refund your $$ no need to trash me in 100 threads just 1 pm would have been fine . Thanks
If you sold for #11 the camera visible on picture above ... you should hide yourself ... and stop trolling here.

The photo posted above are not a #11 or any version of it, ANY.

All #11 camera, even first release all have the Novatek chip.

The photo posted above clearly have nothing to do with #11 and there is no sign of it in the pictures ... The Novatek chip is the stuff that make the difference for this little cam in real 720p HD

Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
What's wrong with him asking for help identifying a camera?

A true #11 camera is 720p HD, the camera shown is lower resolution of which can be bought new on eBay for about $6.

Before selling any more, please check which models you have by referring to Chuck Lohr's website.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
What's wrong with him asking for help identifying a camera?

A true #11 camera is 720p HD, the camera shown is lower resolution of which can be bought new on eBay for about $6.

Before selling any more, please check which models you have by referring to Chuck Lohr's website.
Thanks I gave the other one away for free and I checked it with pic of the #11 and it looks just like it and the cam I sent that guy doesn't look like the one he's posting ALL OVER RCG !!!! I also shot a short vid with it and it was great !! almost as nice as my iphone5 ! So what's to say it is the one I sent and he says 2 clips r broke BS!!!! I can only wait for it to come back . And to the other guy DONT CALK ME A TROLL KEY BOARD WORRIER (;-) I got just as much right to post and sale and read and look as ANYONE !!!! K ? K when the guy send it back LIKE I TOLD HIM 4 times and its the one I sent him ( and ill know ) ill gladly refund his $ and if he would LIKE I SAID 3 times just sent a pm and said he wasn't happy I would have said just keep and I would have sent his $24.17 back in 3 clicks !!! This is stupid and would this happen IF WE WERE ALL GROWN MEN ON HERE AND NOT JUDT IN PERSON !?? I think not people say more with a key board than with there mouth that's why I hardly ever sale anything !!! Thanks guys for your help
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
That's the link I posted in my for sale thread but he did not catch that flick http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Quote:
No .. you got a fake #11 cam ...

See post #1 for where to source and how is looking the real cam

That's not the cam I sent him !!!! We will see if and when it comes back . And FYI if I was a "WORKING ENGINEER" I'd buy new !!! I'm done till I get my cam back . But all he had to do was say " I'm not happy " and in 3 clicks I would have sent $ back and said just keep it and that would have been the end of it . $24.17 and 3 hours of my time reading posting and shipping now this !!! Idts that's why I don't sale anything but son wanted a gopro for his new TBS DISCO !! And so now this BS !! Lolo oh well have a gear day and thanks to the guys that tried to actually help and not JUDGE but there's a lot of judges on the Rc site for sure . To many great and powerful wizards lololo geeks !! Thanks RCG
Last edited by Gavinxman; Jun 17, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Quote:
That's not the cam I sent him !!!!

are you freaking kidding me? you think i am going to make this up? i did this because i want to make sure that you sent me a real #11. you are unbelievable. you need to stop the lying part and get straight and be honest. what a shamed to fool a person for $25. i told you, i don't mind paying but make sure you give me the right item.

oh yes, he gave the second camera for free. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913462. really? or you closed the thread because you got busted?

here is the picture that he sold me

now this is the second camera that he said he gave it away.

Now this is the one that he sent me.

Same scratch mark.
Last edited by lightfighter363; Jun 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:36 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Guys ... get lost from here ... make you senseless war somewhere else

I do not care who is telling the true and who is not ...

Only thing for sure it is that the camera on the photo it is not the #11

Also Mr GavinXman ... don't send me PM with insults ... telling me that that I have no Life since I have 3k post on RCG.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:20 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:
Guys ... get lost from here ... make you senseless war somewhere else
I fully agree. If any more posts from these guys show up here, I will closed down the thread to further posts. It's pretty much served it's purpose anyway...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:51 AM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
I apologize for this messed. just want to clear something. niway thanks guys.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:03 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Is it possible to run a #3, #11 or #16 without the PCB that has the charging monitor chips (that is normally mounted between the battery and the main board, IF I pay attention to charging times?

I have 2x#11's, 2x#16's and 2x#3 but somehow ages ago I lost the PCB from one the #11 when changing batteries, I can only think I got distracted and it went missing.

EG: Maybe if I only let it charge for 45mins via USB
Or use a REAL LIPO charger set to 1S and 1C at 100mA.

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Is it possible to run a #3, #11 or #16 without the PCB that has the charging monitor chips (that is normally mounted between the battery and the main board, IF I pay attention to charging times?

I have 2x#11's, 2x#16's and 2x#3 but somehow ages ago I lost the PCB from one the #11 when changing batteries, I can only think I got distracted and it went missing.

B!LL!
Speaking for the #11, I don't think it would work if you use the special cable. The special cable relies on the battery protection IC, so most likely you would blow something if you use the cable. I would think the #16 is much safer, and as far the #3's are concerned, well, it's been ages since I played with them!

Sorry, I'm too scared to try this out.

Remember the protection IC also protects the battery from undercharging, so if you let the battery die I'm not sure what would happen. Most likely not much immediately.

To be on the safe side, I would never connect USB power and always charge the batteries with your dedicated charger. Of course you would lose the date and time if you do it this way.

You most likely expected a more precise answer. Sorry, I can't give you one.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a few spare batteries and have the peace of mind that everything will work correctly?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:11 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:

B!LL!
The batteries used in these cameras have a dedicated lipo charging IC ON the main circuit board, or at least the #16 cameras do (I forget if the #3 had one). That should normally safely charge the single lipo cell without any added protection. But I think you are referring to the small circuit board soldered to the battery tabs, which protects the battery from not only low and high voltage, but also excessive charge/discharge rates. All the camera batteries had that protection. About the only way for one of these to come off and get lost is to un-wrap the tape on the battery end with wires and cut or unsoldered that small circuit board from the cell. Any way, if you have a cell without that extra circuit board and also have one of these cells that is dead, you can unsolder the circuit board from that one and solder it to the good cell that has none. Just be careful to get the wire polarity the same when you solder it on.

You can also charge the cell with a dedicated external lipo charger as you stated, but that's basically what the charging IC on the main camera circuit board of the #16 already does.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 18, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Speaking for the #11, I don't think it would work if you use the special cable. The special cable relies on the battery protection IC, so most likely you would blow something if you use the cable. I would think the #16 is much safer, and as far the #3's are concerned, well, it's been ages since I played with them!

Sorry, I'm too scared to try this out.

Remember the protection IC also protects the battery from undercharging, so if you let the battery die I'm not sure what would happen. Most likely not much immediately.

To be on the safe side, I would never connect USB power and always charge the batteries with your dedicated charger. Of course you would lose the date and time if you do it this way.

You most likely expected a more precise answer. Sorry, I can't give you one.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a few spare batteries and have the peace of mind that everything will work correctly?
Some pages ago a smart guy hacked is #11, removed the LiPo, use a 5v step up + 1 diode (5v-0.7diode = 4.3v ... just fine) ... and this was for power the #11 without battery and reuse the 1S LiPo from his quad ... the result was outstanding.

He did not report to have burn his #11 , but he did show us some nice videos ... anyhow ... it is something that I would suggest to do only for skilled guys.

Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:41 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions/ideas/advice guys.
I gunna go ahead and wire the battery directly to main PCB
(When I get time, I'm one of those guys who have 5+ projects going at once)

I don't really care if I kill the camera as going buy 2 x Miobus Cameras anyway!
However I will let you know the results for everyone's future reference.

B!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:00 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Some pages ago a smart guy hacked is #11, removed the LiPo, use a 5v step up + 1 diode (5v-0.7diode = 4.3v ... just fine) ... and this was for power the #11 without battery and reuse the 1S LiPo from his quad ... the result was outstanding.

He did not report to have burn his #11 , but he did show us some nice videos ... anyhow ... it is something that I would suggest to do only for skilled guys.

Yes, this will obviously work without issues. He used a diode, so the LiPo is much better protected than a LiPo without any protection whatsoever. Anyway, this isn't the problem. The problem is with the original battery and the special cable. The battery would most likely be under 5V if there is no protection chip to limit the current/voltage. The voltage/current from the special cable does not go thru the regulating IC on the board but relies on the IC built into the battery - which the original poster had removed. This is the point I was trying to make.

As you may know, the special cable for the #11 is an appendix, a cludge if you want, and relies solely on the IC built into the battery.

Like I previously posted, as long as you don't connect any cables, there shouldn't be any problem aside from the battery discharging below it's limit. I did some power tests about two years ago by replacing the battery with a variable voltage/current regulator in order to evaluate the cut-off voltage and minimum current required. I posted this picture in the #16 thread. In the picture I was evaluating the USB values, but I did the same for the battery connection.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
DONT CLOSE IT YET THERES ALMOST 10,000 POST ABOUT A $35 MINI CAM LMAO, everything you need to know is in the 1st post as its updated and Mr Chucks video that I posted the link to in my fs thread pretty much says it all BUT MOST DONT READ NOR WATCH . THANKS THATS THE LAST OF IT FROM ME
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:14 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Whew, for a second there, I thought this thread jumped the shark!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Jun 2013
1 Posts
Hey guys- I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my #11. It seems like sometimes it randomly only will record for like 15-20 seconds, then the orange light turns back on for a second and it shuts off. This started happening today after only a few recordings totallying about 14 min, so I don't think it should be the battery as it was fully charged before that. Also, when I turn it back on again, I can do that 15-20 sec recording a bunch more times (it still is letting me do it now; if it was the battery wouldn't it eventually stop recording at all after a few times of that happening??). the card is 16gb and only a little more than half a gb has been used. It has the firmware that does continuous recording and no date.

I've been able to do long recording sessions in the past (Like from fresh charge to battery dying- I can tell because of that blue haze that starts in the left side of the frame + grainyness. It seems kind of sporadic, but I have seen this before where I go to turn it off after recording and realize it's already off and I didn't get much footage. Are there some common causes of this? Can the battery be overcharged? I've had it for a bout a year but I don't use it that often, maybe 5-10 weekends of decent use since I got it.\

EDIT: hmm, I checked it again and now it is turning off quickly...so I guess it is battery related. But I'm wondering why it happened so fast after only 15 min of recording this time where other times I could go for a full 40 min or so until the battery died. And why it would turn off but keep letting me record again for hte same 15-20 sec so many times..if it could do that then why wouldn't it record longer the first time!...
cubbins is offline Find More Posts by cubbins
Last edited by cubbins; Jul 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbins View Post
Hey guys- I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my #11. It seems like sometimes it randomly only will record for like 15-20 seconds, then the orange light turns back on for a second and it shuts off. This started happening today after only a few recordings totallying about 14 min, so I don't think it should be the battery as it was fully charged before that. Also, when I turn it back on again, I can do that 15-20 sec recording a bunch more times (it still is letting me do it now; if it was the battery wouldn't it eventually stop recording at all after a few times of that happening??). the card is 16gb and only a little more than half a gb has been used. It has the firmware that does continuous recording and no date.

I've been able to do long recording sessions in the past (Like from fresh charge to battery dying- I can tell because of that blue haze that starts in the left side of the frame + grainyness. It seems kind of sporadic, but I have seen this before where I go to turn it off after recording and realize it's already off and I didn't get much footage. Are there some common causes of this? Can the battery be overcharged? I've had it for a bout a year but I don't use it that often, maybe 5-10 weekends of decent use since I got it.\

EDIT: hmm, I checked it again and now it is turning off quickly...so I guess it is battery related. But I'm wondering why it happened so fast after only 15 min of recording this time where other times I could go for a full 40 min or so until the battery died. And why it would turn off but keep letting me record again for hte same 15-20 sec so many times..if it could do that then why wouldn't it record longer the first time!...
Your battery is old! These are the exact symptoms you can expect from an almost discharged battery or a battery that no longer holds it's charge.
If you have an "old" #11, make sure you order the correct battery. The #18s all have a larger battery which won't fit into your case.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:17 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Comments in blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbins View Post
EDIT: hmm, I checked it again and now it is turning off quickly...so I guess it is battery related. But I'm wondering why it happened so fast after only 15 min of recording this time where other times I could go for a full 40 min or so until the battery died.
A lipo battery will develop deposits on it's internal plates as it ages. This adds resistance to the current and cause the voltage to drop under load. When the voltage to the camera drops below 3.6V the camera will stop recording. When near death, the deposits can even bridge between plates causing an internal short and the battery will not even hold a charge for very long.
And why it would turn off but keep letting me record again for hte same 15-20 sec so many times..if it could do that then why wouldn't it record longer the first time!...The lipo cell voltage will rise after any discharge. In the above scenario, it can go back above the 3.6 cutoff threshold and start powering the camera again when it is turn back on, but then cuts off again as soon as the voltage under load decreases again. The cell can still have a lot of charge capacity left... it just can't deliver the current the camera demands while keeping the voltage high enough, so it just goes through a short recording cycle every time it's turned on until the change is depleted to the point where it will no long turn on at all.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:21 AM
Serge
Россия, Калужская область, город Калуга
Joined Jun 2011
654 Posts
Got a problem. Within updating process of the firmware the power cut off. The camera is bricked. I did load the boot file directly to the chip as it was described in this thread but camera would still not switch on as if it does not know that it should read the file. A friend said that there should be some line in the BIN file that would direct the camera to read the firmware. Any suggestions how to fix this?
ua3xds is offline Find More Posts by ua3xds
Last edited by ua3xds; Jul 17, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:58 AM
Padova, Italy
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
underwater case

My #11 is 2 years old, but works perfectly.
I made an underwater case with mentos pack, and with it I made a short video of Stintino, Sardegna (Italy).
I love this cam !
Underwater video with micro cam # 11 (4 min 22 sec)
bulbsrtw is online now Find More Posts by bulbsrtw
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
Beautiful video.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined Aug 2013
1 Posts
Hi
I'm so happy to find this forum with so much information about Key Cams.
I bought a #11 camera that should be a *real* HD, but I'm not convinced, and I need your knowledge and opinion.
One thing that I'm happy about, is that I found the seller name (eletech086) on post #2, but there is mismatch between what appears on the sales page and the item I got.
Here is the sales page:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...d=957289070006
In the attached image you can see that I got Item that is different (AV-out) from the one listed on sale page.
Another mismatch points:
- It creates .AVI files and not .MOV files.
- It creates a new file every 15 minutes (~625MB) and not every 4GB as stated.

Here is the information for a video I took:
General
Complete name : F:\DCIM\100MEDIA\PTDC0001.AVI
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 626 MiB
Duration : 15mn 1s
Overall bit rate : 5 830 Kbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L5.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
Codec ID : H264
Bit rate : 4 916 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.178
Stream size : 528 MiB (84%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 512 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 32.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 55.0 MiB (9%)
Interleave, duration : 1000 ms (30.00 video frames)

Can one please confirm if I have a REAL HD cam or not?

In addition, if it is a real HD cam, is there a firmware to restore the date/time stamp for this version of camera?

EDIT - 13/8/2013
Finally, after the weekend vacation, the seller sent me an e-mail and inform me that I got the advanced version, the #18. He attached an instruction file + FW (mov/avi) + setup utility. The FW & setup utility I got, is the same version as available on the #18 thread, post #3.
I've played with it and I'm very satisfied.

Thank you
shmilw is offline Find More Posts by shmilw
Last edited by shmilw; Aug 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:47 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Sounds like it is hd.

I have a question, is anyone using this as a camera for fpv? How to I wire it to the transmitter? Using a fpv905 900mz from hobbywireless.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:34 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
Sounds like it is hd.

I have a question, is anyone using this as a camera for fpv? How to I wire it to the transmitter? Using a fpv905 900mz from hobbywireless.
#11 is 720p so HD "ready"

But real #11 has no AV-out , so no FPV

#18 the new version from #11 producer (I don't expect #11 is still produced), this has AV-out. so FPV ready .. but for this there is a dedicated thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:39 AM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
I have two questions for everyone..

I have the 808 #11, I believe it has a specialized 8 pin micro usb port for charging.. however, I lost the cable to charge it.. does anyone know if a regular 8 pin micro will work without harm or where to get a replacement short of buying a new keychain camera?

Second.. I was considering upgrading beyond this camera, though it does a fine job.. what would be the next version up worth getting? I've read the #18 drops frames.. would a #16 or #26 produce much better video.. the #11 does "ok" as far as I can see.. though it would be nice if it had video input, but I know thats dreaming and much bigger camera setup. The 26 is 1080p as far as I can see, but pretty pricey comparatively, although its 720p at 60fps could be useful for jittery flights.
markm75 is offline Find More Posts by markm75
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I have two questions for everyone..

I have the 808 #11, I believe it has a specialized 8 pin micro usb port for charging.. however, I lost the cable to charge it.. does anyone know if a regular 8 pin micro will work without harm or where to get a replacement short of buying a new keychain camera?

Second.. I was considering upgrading beyond this camera, though it does a fine job.. what would be the next version up worth getting? I've read the #18 drops frames.. would a #16 or #26 produce much better video.. the #11 does "ok" as far as I can see.. though it would be nice if it had video input, but I know thats dreaming and much bigger camera setup. The 26 is 1080p as far as I can see, but pretty pricey comparatively, although its 720p at 60fps could be useful for jittery flights.
You have the #18, not the #11! The original #11 had a 5-pin mini USB socket. Then there was a lot of confusion and the #18 was sold as a #11!
Both cameras run the same firmware (well sort-of), but the #18 has a non-standard mini 8-pin USB socket. Don't use any cable that was not designed specifically for the #18 or you risk destroying your camera
You can make your own cable. Click here for the schema or you could contact one of the #18 sellers and ask for a quotation for just the cable. Note that there are various cables!

The #26 is from the same developer as the #11 and #18. Firmware updates are rare to non-existent. Many people report the firmware is buggy. And, as you have found out, the #26 is overpriced. If you want to use the camera for spy purposes and you want 1080p, then you don't have much choice. The #26 is most likely the best you'll find.

However, for all other uses, I would definitely consider the Mobius. The weight and size is about the same as the #26, but the shape is different. The lens is much larger and produces superior videos without any vignetting whatsoever. It also takes photos, which the #26 does not. Support for the Mobius is also excellent and new firmware with new functionality is being released frequently.
If you are interested, you can read all about the Mobius by clicking here.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:13 PM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
You have the #18, not the #11! The original #11 had a 5-pin mini USB socket. Then there was a lot of confusion and the #18 was sold as a #11!
Both cameras run the same firmware (well sort-of), but the #18 has a non-standard mini 8-pin USB socket. Don't use any cable that was not designed specifically for the #18 or you risk destroying your camera
You can make your own cable. Click here for the schema or you could contact one of the #18 sellers and ask for a quotation for just the cable. Note that there are various cables!

The #26 is from the same developer as the #11 and #18. Firmware updates are rare to non-existent. Many people report the firmware is buggy. And, as you have found out, the #26 is overpriced. If you want to use the camera for spy purposes and you want 1080p, then you don't have much choice. The #26 is most likely the best you'll find.

However, for all other uses, I would definitely consider the Mobius. The weight and size is about the same as the #26, but the shape is different. The lens is much larger and produces superior videos without any vignetting whatsoever. It also takes photos, which the #26 does not. Support for the Mobius is also excellent and new firmware with new functionality is being released frequently.
If you are interested, you can read all about the Mobius by clicking here.
I found my cable by luck Its definitely 8 pin micro usb.. so its technically the #18 keychain 808? I had no idea it was the 18 with video out, as it didnt come with a video out cable, which ill have to track down if i want to later send remote video with altitude overlay to the ground Thanks for that info. EDIT: actually, how do i know its not the "#11 updated" vs #18 pure.. would the #11 updated still have the 5 pin socket.. I guess since its 8 pin its definitely the 18, cracking open should reveal the video out.

*update: puzzled, i look back at my ebay receipt from 2012, i see it listed as #11 keychain, not #11 updated or #18. Unless they simply mislabeled and as you said sold the #18 as a #11
markm75 is offline Find More Posts by markm75
Last edited by markm75; Aug 14, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I found my cable by luck Its definitely 8 pin micro usb.. so its technically the #18 keychain 808? I had no idea it was the 18 with video out, as it didnt come with a video out cable, which ill have to track down if i want to later send remote video with altitude overlay to the ground Thanks for that info. EDIT: actually, how do i know its not the "#11 updated" vs #18 pure.. would the #11 updated still have the 5 pin socket.. I guess since its 8 pin its definitely the 18, cracking open should reveal the video out.

*update: puzzled, i look back at my ebay receipt from 2012, i see it listed as #11 keychain, not #11 updated or #18. Unless they simply mislabeled and as you said sold the #18 as a #11
In my previous post I mentioned there was a certain "confusion" time. Both cameras are firmware-speaking identical. The only difference is a completely different hardware design. The developer prevents updating the #11 with #18 firmware and vice versa by installing a different bootloader. The bootloaders are not available on the internet. Once a #18 bootloader is installed it's no longer possible to install a #11 bootloader unless you program the SPI chip with a programmer. All very technical. I have converted a 5-pin #11 to an 8-pin #18 and vice versa numerous times by directly programming the SPI. The original #11 firmware was pretty stable. The "new" #18 firmware has always had numerous serious bugs. The #18 firmware has configuration parameters, the original #18 does not. You can install the "incorrect" firmware simply by renaming the firmware bin file, but you do so at your own risk and I can only advise against installing #18 firmware.
If you have #18 firmware installed, always make sure your battery never runs down or you risk bricking your camera. The #18 is also very fussy about which SD cards you use and can also destroy the card if you let it completely fill up or the battery dies. Some cards won't work or you can only record short clips. Depending on the card, the camera may just stop recording! The LED recording light will often blink while the camera is in standby!
The #11 firmware does not have any of these problems.

These bugs have been posted many times but the developer apparently has no interest in correcting them.

You have a #18, sold as a #11 and most likely with the #11 (no parameter setting) firmware. If this is the case, you are lucky to have firmware that is stable. The video will have a little more color-hunting than the #18, but otherwise the video quality will be fine. I loved my old #11s, the #18 is a disaster.

Most likely the #18s were sold as #11s because of the good reputation the #11 had at that time. If I remember correctly they were sold without the video-out cable.

In a nutshell, the only way to find out if you have a #11 or a #18 is to attempt to install the original firmware file and see if it works. I can't remember if the firmware file gets automatically deleted or not. I no longer use my #11s/#18s because of the above mentioned bugs and now exclusively use #16s and the Mobius for 1080p. Looking back, the #11 was fine but the #18 was a nightmare. I have lost numerous cards and 2 cameras because of the #18 bugs and have lost complete confidence in any products designed by the #18/#26 developer.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Aug 2013
4 Posts
808 keychain camera bricked

usb not recognized by pc dose it need usb driver ? ps the reset dose not make any differance just get the pc pop up saying usb not recognized. anyone help
tamper is offline Find More Posts by tamper
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:18 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2002
250 Posts
Sorry, wrong camera thread.
Tatty is offline Find More Posts by Tatty
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:45 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamper View Post

usb not recognized by pc dose it need usb driver ? ps the reset dose not make any differance just get the pc pop up saying usb not recognized. anyone help
There are dozens of different 808 cameras
Which model do you have? This thread is only about the #11.

If you want help for any other type of 808 your best bet is to first identify you camera by visiting Chuck Lohr's site. Once you know which version you have, the MEGA Keyfob thread is most likely the best place to get your questions answered.

If you have an original #11 then try another USB cable. If you have a #11 with the 8-pin USB connector (aka #18) then you will either have to make a new cable yourself following the schema published in the #18 thread or buy a new cable from one of the official sellers.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:30 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Dang. Did this thread die?
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:50 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
LOL

#11 has been replaced by #18

But mainly .... most people did move from 720p to 1080p

The one still on 720p ... mainly prefer #16

Anyhow ... there is not much to discuss over this little cam ... it had its glorious days

I still keep it as back up camera

Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:41 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,541 Posts
Yup I went on to #16 then Mobius. Sold one #11 and stripped the other down to use on my micro quad.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:42 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
I also still have mine, and a #16.

Hadn't used either for 6 months, the #11 still turned on, the #16 would not. Both work after charging.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:26 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Hmmm, I still #3x3 (very rarely) , #11x1, #16x2. and a 'real' video' (x2) if I'm going for multi-angles.

3 or 4 of types on the plane, a #16 as Cap-cam and friend with video camera - for the zoom.

Really need to get a #18, an email from BangGood listed it recently,
I thought about getting one, but my wishlist already had about $2 grand of stuff in it.

-B!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:53 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,541 Posts
Quote:
Really need to get a #18, an email from BangGood listed it recently,
I thought about getting one, but my wishlist already had about $2 grand of stuff in it.
I can really recommend the Mobius (effectively the successor to the #16v2). Great camera.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:06 AM
United Kingdom, Gerrards Cross
Joined Mar 2013
22 Posts
Hi guys,

I have had a look at the thread and I have probably missed it (a million apologies if I have ), but has anyone ever done a GUI version of the setup for this camera?
Flyboy152 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy152
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:28 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy152 View Post
Hi guys,

I have had a look at the thread and I have probably missed it (a million apologies if I have ), but has anyone ever done a GUI version of the setup for this camera?
A GUI wouldn't help - if you have an original #11 then there's NOTHING that can be configured
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:48 AM
United Kingdom, Gerrards Cross
Joined Mar 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
A GUI wouldn't help - if you have an original #11 then there's NOTHING that can be configured
I don't understand the "rolleyes;" not very friendly. I thought I was asking a perfectly legititmate question and a simple "yes" or "no" answer would have been better than a rude and patronising one. I am not very tech savvy, most of this stuff passes right over me and I appreciate it when people are polite, courteous and respectful.

I was more inetersted in adjusting the time date stamp and if there was any new firmware that had been developed for it and whether it needs to be updated or not; I guess I was wrong.
Flyboy152 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy152
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:16 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand the "rolleyes;" not very friendly. I thought I was asking a perfectly legititmate question and a simple "yes" or "no" answer would have been better than a rude and patronising one. I am not very tech savvy, most of this stuff passes right over me and I appreciate it when people are polite, courteous and respectful.

I was more inetersted in adjusting the time date stamp and if there was any new firmware that had been developed for it and whether it needs to be updated or not; I guess I was wrong.
I see people have different understanding of the few faces available on this forum

They are just esthetic stuff .. don't have any special 2nd meaning

Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:52 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,369 Posts
There's nothing much to configure with #11, but editing a text file is easy, even for #16.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:

I'm sorry if you misunderstood the smiley. There was certainly no insult implied. Smileys aren't intended to insult people anyway.

Nowhere in this entire thread has there ever been any mention of a configuration method for the #11, hence the sarcasm - which applies equally (more) to the developer, who never deemed it necessary to support #11 users once he "renamed" his camera #18 (for the developer!).

Click here and you'll notice there are different firmware files for the #11 - but note that some have bugs. The #11 has never ever had a configuration file of any sort.

If all you want to do is accurately set the date and time then you have two choices:
A simple version
A more complex version

The two time setting programs also work perfectly for the #18.

If you are not 'very tech savvy', as you put it, are you sure you have a #11 and not a #18? There is enormous confusion here, but I believe all new #11s are, indeed, #18s. If you have an original #11, consider yourself lucky. The #18 firmware, although configurable to a certain extent, has never been reliable .
Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:34 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,468 Posts
edit
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Last edited by Razors edge 29; Oct 22, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
hello sir my name is rahil and i need this key chain ring for lecturer i am from pakistan i am a student at university sir plz give me a advice which version i purchase of 808 and from which seller through ebay i need this keychain ring for lecturer thank you
humrahi is offline Find More Posts by humrahi
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,682 Posts
Read first post.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humrahi View Post
hello sir my name is rahil and i need this key chain ring for lecturer i am from pakistan i am a student at university sir plz give me a advice which version i purchase of 808 and from which seller through ebay i need this keychain ring for lecturer thank you
Until the developer corrects the bugs in the firmware, I can't recommend buying this camera.
You would be much better off buying a #16. Click here for a link to the #16 thread. Only buy from one of the recommended sellers listed in post #2.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 01:05 PM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
Hello all,

9895 posts is too much to read, so allow me to ask a simple question: Is it possible to buy a #11 or #16 somewere else than ebay?

I do not have (and I will never have) a paypal account. And if I pay by creditcard via paypal, they charge pretty some extra money for that.

Does anybody know whether it is possible to buy outside ebay and pay by bank-transfer?
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2013, 01:11 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs View Post
Hello all,

9895 posts is too much to read, so allow me to ask a simple question: Is it possible to buy a #11 or #16 somewere else than ebay?

I do not have (and I will never have) a paypal account. And if I pay by creditcard via paypal, they charge pretty some extra money for that.

Does anybody know whether it is possible to buy outside ebay and pay by bank-transfer?
Paypal does not charge extra

There is nothing better then PayPal for payment ...

ps: #11 and #16 are old cams ... you should look for something better like a mobius
Old Nov 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:
Hello all,

You don't need to read all the posts, just the first few like the thread title says! I'd forget the #11... it's truly obsolete. But the #16 is still alive and much more user adaptable. See it's support thread here for verified vendors.

There are other re-sellers for the #16, but they will cost you more. You'll need to contact each verified vendor (listed in the second or third post in the support thread for the #16) to see if they can accept other payment (even the China direct sellers)!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 03:08 PM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
Quote:
Paypal does not charge extra
They do. First of all, the exchange rate from Euro to Dollar is, well, 'paypal friendly', and secondly they charge an extra fee for foreign currency translation.

Quote:
There is nothing better then PayPal for payment ...
Aha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
You don't need to read all the posts, just the first few like the thread title says!
Maybe I've overseen something, but that's exactly what I did - and found only eBay-references and this note "NOTE: POSTS #1-#5 ARE NO LONGER BEING UPDATED ..." which rendered the titles invitation somewhat obsolete.

Quote:
There are other re-sellers for the #16, but they will cost you more. You'll need to contact each verified vendor (listed in the second or third post in the support thread for the #16) to see if they can accept other payment (even the China direct sellers)!
Thank you, I will try this. I'm not afraid of paying a few bucks more. Instead, I'm afraid of any kind of eBay-services:I have never experienced a worse customer-care than there. But thats a personal view and thus not worth a discussion.

I will go for the #16, and to be honest: When I wrote my posting I was mistaken as I assumed to be in the #16 thread (due to a misleading link).

Thank you anyway!
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2013, 03:41 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,437 Posts
Quote:
They do. First of all, the exchange rate from Euro to Dollar is, well, 'paypal friendly', and secondly they charge an extra fee for foreign currency translation.

Aha.

You are free to pay as you like.

Just remember ... unless you send money transfer to a 3rd party ... you have no insurance that you will get anything after your payment ... with PayPal the money goes to PayPal, and then to the seller, in case of problem the seller may not see any money and you get full refund.

Paying by credit card directly on the net , it is risky ... your credit card data can land in wrong hands, and you can have big troubles ...

Exchange rate is not for free anywhere in the universe ... so either you pay PayPal for exchange or to your credit card company

I'm using PayPal since 2001 ... never ever had a single issue with it.

Just recently one of my credit card data have been leaked (possibly some bad physical shop, since I only use in person not online), and only since it is an AMEX, I had not trouble, the fraud transaction (an online one) has been block automatically by AMEX and short after my card got fully blocked ... so .. annoying but not a single cent lost ... but I know people with different credit card provider that has not been so lucky like me.

So ... for me there is no better way to take the #16 from the source on eBay on the vendors verified on this thread ... also remember ... there are a lot of bad clones of these little cameras, some are even fake HD ... so ... you just take a risk, on your money and on what you may got ... without any advantage ... only because for some reason (possibly wrong) you don't like payPal or eBay

ps: Mobius is not much more expensive then #16 ... for me it make not much sense to go for #16 in these days ...
Closed Thread