Closed Thread
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecor View Post
OK guys I never had a key-chain camera, I would like to get one. What's the latest and greatest with a good video. And a link to your favorite seller If you don't mind. Thanks for your time, Jay
We do not make recommendations here because your requirements are sure to be different from ours.
What we do have is a comprehensive, uptodate section devoted to what this particular version of the keychaincam can and cannot do.
The First 5 posts contain loads of information which will help you to decide if this is the one for you.
There are similar threads, laid out in the same way, covering the #16, #18, and 1080P versions.
If, when you have read this infromation, you have specific questions, then we are always willing to answer them, to help you decide what you want/need from a keychaincam.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzertof View Post
Hey guys,

I've got a small problem and after weeks of trying to eliminate it I'm still facing the same problem.

I've got a Keycam 808 #11 some month ago, the USB Car charger was included.

At the moment I use the "recover time 70"-firmware I got here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3531

However, the S/S/C feature doesn't work.

That's how I use the camera:
I put it in my car and start recording. When the recording started, I put in the mini-USB-cable with the car charger, both came with the camera.
After exactly 70 minutes (the charger is still enabled) the record stops. I have to disengage the charger to make a new recording start.

In the past I tried also the 20min SSC and the 50min SSC firmware, both had the same problems.

I also tried to use another SD-Card, didn't work either.

What shall I do? Is the USB-cable corrupt? Or the camera itself? How to fix?

I use it as car cam so it's very uncomfortable to check every now and then if the camera works...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Luzertof
This camera will normally record for about 40 min. on internal battery power alone. If you got a 70 min. recording with the one firmware, then the camera was getting power from the USB cable, so there's no problem with the power supply.

Based on your comments, your #11 is the older style that has the standard 5 pin mini-USB plug in the camera, so the FW linked at the beginning of this thread should work in it. If by chance your #11 is the newer style with the smaller non-standard 8 pin USB plug, the FW posted here is not compatible. I can't think of anything else to try if you've swapped flash memory cards and still get the same problem.

I suggest you contact your eBay seller for help.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
OK guys I never had a key-chain camera, I would like to get one. What's the latest and greatest with a good video. And a link to your favorite seller If you don't mind. Thanks for your time, Jay
In addition to what empeabee posted, each of the threads has links to the known good sellers in the first couple of posts.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Nov 2003
217 Posts
OK fellas, Thanks very much. Jay
pecor is offline Find More Posts by pecor
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Well, this is a #11 thread, but since you are new to these cameras it can be confusing at first. Basically, there are only 3 cameras in the keychain 808 format with a decent HD, 720p, to chose from: #11, #16 and #18. You may find one or two other cameras claiming 720p, but the #11, #16 and #18 are the three most popular 808s available.

Except for the slightly better pricing, the #11 is an old model and is no longer properly supported in the form of firmware updates. The #18 is from the same developer and is based on the #11. Video quality is good, and it has video-out. Colors are slightly more saturated (unnatural) than the #16, but some people prefer these colors. The #18 can be configured by loading different firmware versions, but there are currently only 5 versions available. If the configuration you want is available, then you're OK.

The #16 is in a completely different league. Compared to the 5 configuration possibilities of the #18 (in the form of firmware versions), the #16 currently has well over 6000 configuration possibilities!! And this doesn't include the choice of AVI or MOV video output, which requires a different firmware. The camera can be configured by using a user-friendly, free, GUI program (Windows only) which also includes an integrated instruction manual.
Colors produced by the #16 are more natural. The current #16 does not yet have video out, but the new hardware version, which is expected to be available any day now, does. A new GUI setup program will be available at the same time. Firmware for the new hardware design is backward-compatible to previous versions, but the video-out will obviously not work on earlier models.
The #16 developer monitors the #16 thread and, if possible, will implement frequently asked for parameters. There is also excellent communication between Tom and the developer.

[Edit] Didn't realize your question had been answered already. Sorry, if my post duplicates previous information. May be useful all the same, so I decided not to delete. [/Edit]
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Jun 18, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:38 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Well, this is a #11 thread, but since ..
..between Tom and the developer.[Edit] Didn't realize your question had been answered already. Sorry, if my post duplicates previous information. May be useful all the same, so I decided not to delete. [/Edit]
Isoprop. IMHO that was a super explanation, and personally would like it to be linked to all 4 threads in post #1 or #2 to help anyone who is thinking of keycaming.
Mike
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2003
217 Posts
Isoprop, Thanks! that clears things up a little bit better, And gives me a sense of direction on where to start looking. Jay
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:01 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,609 Posts
dud battery?

First, let me say "brilliant thread, thank you for all the research and explanations!".

I've had my #11 for a year or so and now the recording starts to snow-over after a couple of minutes. Early posts on this thread show the same effect as the battery voltage starts to drop. But, when I put mine on charge, the red light only persists for about 15mins, then I get the same short life again.

So, for $38 including delivery, I've sent for a #16. Did I do right? is there anything that can be done to restore the life of the #11, apart from dismantling and soldering in a new battery? It was a very sudden deterioration. up until a couple of weeks ago I didn't get the problem. Did I do something to damage the battery?

Sorry if all this has already been covered, I haven't found it.

Cheers

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
55 Posts
Hey Guys,

Had a #11 for nearly a year now, has worked a treat until now

Getting 2 videos up to 8 mins then after that they only last a min or so, Im wondering if this caused by a failing battery ??

cheers

Zutta
zutta is offline Find More Posts by zutta
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
First, let me say "brilliant thread, thank you for all the research and explanations!".

I've had my #11 for a year or so and now the recording starts to snow-over after a couple of minutes. Early posts on this thread show the same effect as the battery voltage starts to drop. But, when I put mine on charge, the red light only persists for about 15mins, then I get the same short life again.

So, for $38 including delivery, I've sent for a #16. Did I do right? is there anything that can be done to restore the life of the #11, apart from dismantling and soldering in a new battery? It was a very sudden deterioration. up until a couple of weeks ago I didn't get the problem. Did I do something to damage the battery?

Sorry if all this has already been covered, I haven't found it.

Cheers

Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zutta View Post
Hey Guys,

Had a #11 for nearly a year now, has worked a treat until now

Getting 2 videos up to 8 mins then after that they only last a min or so, Im wondering if this caused by a failing battery ??

cheers

Zutta
nickchud, IMO, you did the right thing. The #16 is a great little camera that will soon be even greater!

I have a few #11s and they all suffer from battery problems one way or the other. I imagine the original developer was too optimistic about the charging times and preferred to implement short charging times instead of trying to get a long battery life. But in those days, this was new terrain.

Battery life also depends on the number of charging cycles, but I don't think this is too relevant for the #11. IMO, I believe the main problem of the #11 is the over-optimistic designed charging circuitry

Battery life also depends on how you charge your battery, thru the standard USB cable or thru the "special" cable. I would think using the standard cable is better on the battery. The "special" cable charges the battery directly, relying solely on the protection circuitry built into the battery.

I don't know if the "new" #11 or the #18 uses different charging components, but the #16 certainly does. After over 6 months of use, my original #16 battery is still going strong. After the same time span, my #11 would have already failed.

The only way to restore your failing camera is to solder in a new battery. If you can't solder, you can get away with splicing the two cables together and using electrician's tape to insulate the bare wires. When replacing batteries, it is imperative to get the polarity correct. If you invert the black and red wires you will most probably destroy your camera.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:50 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,609 Posts
Many thanks Isoprop. T'riffic!

Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, MI, Almont
Joined Nov 2009
523 Posts
The only way to restore your failing camera is to solder in a new battery. If you can't solder, you can get away with splicing the two cables together and using electrician's tape to insulate the bare wires. When replacing batteries, it is imperative to get the polarity correct. If you invert the black and red wires you will most probably destroy your camera.[/QUOTE]

My battery in my #11 also wont hold a charge anymore. i was wondering if i made an external power supply, like the one on the first page, i could get away from opening the cam up and soldering in a new batt.?
AJ750 is offline Find More Posts by AJ750
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
KAE
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Jan 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ750 View Post
The only way to restore your failing camera is to solder in a new battery. If you can't solder, you can get away with splicing the two cables together and using electrician's tape to insulate the bare wires. When replacing batteries, it is imperative to get the polarity correct. If you invert the black and red wires you will most probably destroy your camera.

When I ordered my #16 camera I also picked up a new battery for my old #11.
I just finished performing a "heart transplant" on the camera and all went well. Patient is resting comfortably.
I spliced the wires by cutting them a little bit longer, twisting the bare wires together and then soldering them. I then used heat shrink tubing to cover the solder joint. Charged the battery and recorded some video. Good as new. (need to reset the clock however).
Cost me $4 (US) for the battery - it was well worth the cost & effort.
KAE is offline Find More Posts by KAE
Last edited by KAE; Jun 20, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAE View Post
When I ordered my #16 camera I also picked up a new battery for my old #11.
I just finished performing a "heart transplant" on the camera and all went well. Patient is resting comfortably.
I spliced the wires by cutting them a little bit longer, twisting the bare wires together and then soldering them. I then used heat shrink tubing to cover the solder joint. Charged the battery and recorded some video. Good as new. (need to reset the clock however).
Cost me $4 (US) for the battery - it was well worth the cost & effort.
To me, a "heart transplant" would be the processor . Anyway, good to hear that your #11 works again.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:11 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
To me, a "heart transplant" would be the processor . Anyway, good to hear that your #11 works again.
Isnt the processor the brain ?
(Glad the hackapendectomy worked.)
Mike Splthair ..
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Mike Splthair ..
Yup, you're right. I guess the battery is the heart after all - seems a bit too simple though
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,609 Posts
Quote:
cutting them a little bit longer,
That's a clever trick!

Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:28 PM
Fairfield County, CT
Joined Mar 2010
46 Posts
good timing

I logged on tonight to ask a question about the battery in my #11. So I find the topic is already mostly discussed. One last question;

can you provide a source for replacement batteries?
Csessa is offline Find More Posts by Csessa
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
KAE
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Jan 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Mike Splthair ..
Quote:
Yup, you're right. I guess the battery is the heart after all - seems a bit too simple though
I like " hackapendectomy" the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
That's a clever trick!

If I had been real clever I'd have remembered to put the heat shrink tube over the wire before soldering...
Real PITA to do over.
I remembered it for the second wire believe me!

I got my battery from eletoponline : http://myworld.ebay.com/eletoponline365/
Very fast shipping. Less than two weeks from China to Wisconsin!
They really are "Top online"
KAE is offline Find More Posts by KAE
Last edited by KAE; Jun 21, 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to add seller info
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:42 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAE View Post
I like " hackapendectomy" the best!
Its at least 20 years old
Quote:
If I had been real clever I'd have remembered to put the heat shrink tube over the wire before soldering...
Real PITA to do over.
I remembered it for the second wire believe me!
Welcome to the club
Quote:

I got my battery from eletoponline : http://myworld.ebay.com/eletoponline365/
Very fast shipping. Less than two weeks from China to Wisconsin!
They really are "Top online"
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:07 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
New #11 Jumbo with 120 deg. lens

I just got word the (new V2) #11 is now being sold in the Jumbo case design with a 120 deg. wide angle lens integral to the camera.

I do not have the camera, so can offer no more information other than what you can read in this eBay web page.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:40 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I just got word the (new V2) #11 is now being sold in the Jumbo case design with a 120 deg. wide angle lens integral to the camera.

I do not have the camera, so can offer no more information other than what you can read in this eBay web page.
Looks good, maybe they moved the CMOS back? Too bad not a #16 internals.

Looks a bit like mine
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
New Firmware for New V2 #11

WARNING! This firmware is ONLY usable with the new version 2 #11, easily recognized by its smaller, non-standard 8-pin miniUSB plug. Do NOT attempt to install this in the original #11 cameras! See this post for firmware for the original #11 camera.

I do not have the new V2 #11 camera so have not tested this firmware. Use it at your own risk.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Looks great! We need video, will probably get one. Is 120 degrees equal to the go pro on 60fps rate? If this new v2 #11 did 60 fps they would sell a million of them.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:14 AM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
United States, OH, Whitehouse
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Not a happy camper...
Bought 3 of the 808's....which ones? NFI

Plug in usb....not recognized. trudged through all this BS and find nothing to help.
There is no friggin red led....just yellow that blinks when plugged into usb.
Wish there was an easy to understand article that explains this POS without all the BS with mods, progs for video and photoshop...just basic info and troubleshooting. And it would be nice to find a friggin driver that win 7 likes.

thank you for listening....
boulier1 is offline Find More Posts by boulier1
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:23 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,152 Posts
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Thank you
Last edited by boulier1; Jun 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulier1 View Post
Not a happy camper...

Plug in usb....not recognized. trudged through all this BS and find nothing to help.
Wish there was an easy to understand article that explains this POS without all the BS with mods, progs for video and photoshop...just basic info and troubleshooting. And it would be nice to find a friggin driver that win 7 likes.

#3 will have yellow blinking led if no card inside.

Where did you buy it, what did it cost?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
Not a happy camper...

No special W7 driver is needed for the real #11. You may have a bad USB cable... has happened numerous times. I assume as you were trodding through all this "BS", you read the FAQ links. If you consider this thread and the information in it as "BS", why bother stay here and post!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
#3 will have yellow blinking led if no card inside.

Where did you buy it, what did it cost?
ebay from hkpowerstore price was $6.00 US
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Quote:
ebay from hkpowerstore price was $6.00 US
Then I understand you disappointment, it may be a #3 if you are lucky. Need more info, try with a card in it and try also posting on the 808 Mega thread.

Good luck!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:33 PM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
No special W7 driver is needed for the real #11. You may have a bad USB cable... has happened numerous times. I assume as you were trodding through all this "BS", you read the FAQ links. If you consider this thread and the information in it as "BS", why bother stay here and post!
As with most blogs, forums and the like, you can filter 600 pages down to 10 with pertinent information.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Then I understand you disappointment, it may be a #3 if you are lucky. Need more info, try with a card in it and try also posting on the 808 Mega thread.

Good luck!
Thank you my friend, I appreciate your time and effort....Cheers
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
As with most blogs, forums and the like, you can filter 600 pages down to 10 with pertinent information.
And why, would you think, would Tom Frank spend a lot of time and effort in distilling the information in this thread, and putting it in posts #1,#2,
3,#4 & #5, keeping it uptodate. Could it be possible that he understands that fact, and pre-distils the information for people who take the time to read the title of the thread ?? Nah, no one is that stupid surely !
Have a happy time hoping people will stand to attention and salute.
Mike
(sorry Tom, he got my goat - will remove it if you wish)
Last edited by empeabee; Jun 23, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Disfingeria :(
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
And if you had read the first three posts as this thread's title says, you would find the FAQs do just that in post #3. You'd also find in posts #1 and #2, that you do NOT have a #11HD camera and need not read any further!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:41 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,152 Posts
Hey I'm +1.
Well put. I'm with ya.
But Tom will very diplomatic about it!
-B!

EDIT: Damn he beat me!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
And why, would you think, would Tom Frank spend a lot of time and effort in distilling the information in this thread, and putting it in posts #1,#2,
3,#4 & #5, keeping it uptodate. Could it be possible that he understands that fact, and pre-distils the information for people who take the time to read the title of the thread ?? Nah, no one is that stupid surely !
Have a happy time hoping people will stand to attention and salute.
Mike
(sorry Tom, he got my goat - will remove it if you wish)
No need, I was posting similar reply myself. He blamed everything and everyone else for his own oversights. Sheesh!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:42 PM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
wah....wah...wah....

Bottom line is the ones I have do work, but not like what was dispelled here. With German instructions and no SPECIFIC information to be found anywhere and being continually told this was the place to find any and all info on all 808 cameras caused some frustration and hence my post. Sorry if I stepped on any genius's toes but for my application no information was found in the first 5 posts or the FAQ's. And so far out of all you know it all's only one actually had something constructive to say that helped instead of climbing on your high horses.
And if you read what was said, I did not imply or impune the validity of the information that was given here, merely stated I wish there was more information available of a basic nature versus all the pseudo engineering and video/photo hacking. So you can brush your ruffled feathers and go back about you business. I shall find what I need elsewhere...
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Tom, any video of the new 120 degree cam in action? Just ordered one....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
Good
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Quote:

Good luck!
My thanks to you Sir. It would appear they are #3's. The Chuck Lohr web site had the info I was looking for and confirmed it as well as identifing the charging problem one has. Replaced the A8 S4 diode and all is well... my thanks again.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
And if you read what was said, I did not imply or impune the validity of the information that was given here, merely stated I wish there was more information available of a basic nature versus all the pseudo engineering and video/photo hacking. So you can brush your ruffled feathers and go back about you business. I shall find what I need elsewhere...
We did read what you said in your initial post, and it did NOTHING but belittle the information and contributors to a thread that had absolutely NOTHING to do with your camera. You would have figured that out in the very first post had you bothered to actually read it. When you plop in and start spewing BS about the content and how it doesn't help you, did you expect a warm welcome? Sheesh! Good riddance!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Tom, any video of the new 120 degree cam in action? Just ordered one....
I don't have any video nor the camera to shoot any. Sorry...
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:39 AM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
We did read what you said in your initial post, and it did NOTHING but belittle the information and contributors to a thread that had absolutely NOTHING to do with your camera. You would have figured that out in the very first post had you bothered to actually read it. When you plop in and start spewing BS about the content and how it doesn't help you, did you expect a warm welcome? Sheesh! Good riddance!

I did read not only the first 5 posts but the first hundred pages. Nothing related specifically to #3, none of the instructions worked, there is no red led, the camera powers up in photo mode NOT video. By chance I found Chucks web site...neat, concise and to the point. Immediately I was able to ascertain I had
#3's, got info on the YELLOW led and instructions on how to operate as well as how to fix the charging problem, replaced diode and it works. And no I did not ask for nor did I expect a warm welcome. And I did thank the only one to help and understood my frustration.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:03 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
<I decided this was off topic, so I have removed it >
Mike
Last edited by empeabee; Jun 24, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: so as to not upset new readers looking for help.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:04 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,920 Posts
Quote:
I did read not only the first 5 posts but the first hundred pages. Nothing related specifically to #3, none of the instructions worked, there is no red led, the camera powers up in photo mode NOT video. By chance I found Chucks web site...neat, concise and to the point. Immediately I was able to ascertain I had
#3's, got info on the YELLOW led and instructions on how to operate as well as how to fix the charging problem, replaced diode and it works. And no I did not ask for nor did I expect a warm welcome. And I did thank the only one to help and understood my frustration.
Well done !
You turn up on a thread that has no relevance whatsoever to your camera.
Complain about all the B.S posts and then expect assistance. I guess you regard them as B.S because they don't cover your problem and why would they? The thread title states it's about the No11 camera. So it's our fault that you don't know what you bought ?

A little research would have thrown up Chuck's site but, hey, why go to the trouble of searching properly. Much easier to jump into something not related to your problem and then whinge about it.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Ok, aside from the drama.......has anyone aside from me ordered the new v2 number 11 with the 120 degree lens?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:58 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Quote:
Ok, aside from the drama.......has anyone aside from me ordered the new v2 number 11 with the 120 degree lens?
It is tempting, looks like modular lens assy could be interchangable, plug in battery. They did a nice job. I use my homemade 120 cam a lot. Please post some video and comments when you get it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8296
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:06 AM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
167 Posts
Have had my #11 for almost 9 months now still working alright [touch on wood] except for the battery that can't record more than 10 minutes now. Been posting lots of cap-brim cam footage of my flying and in-flight footage sticking the slim-down de-cased gut under the belly of my mCPx on my YouTube channel. Last weekend, one thing led to another and I stuck the de-cased gut to my friend's kid's kite to take some aerial footage. If you feel dizzy easy, don't watch...

How many engineers does it take to fly a kite? (6 min 56 sec)
Race Miata is online now Find More Posts by Race Miata
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Emergency charger

I've just got a no.11 version 2 camera. I have one of those Emergency chargers that takes an AA battery (didnít come with the camera, I already had it)and I understand if I connect it to the cam Iíll get maybe another 20 minutes if I use something like a 2500mah rechargeable. But although I have 6 different connecting cables none of them are right at the cam end of course! Anyone know where I can get a connector with a 3.5mm jack on one end and a plug for the new small 8 pin #11 v2 socket on the other? Looked on EBay to no avail (though itís hard to know whatís the best search parameter!).
Many thanks
joebigtoe is offline Find More Posts by joebigtoe
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebigtoe View Post
I've just got a no.11 version 2 camera. I have one of those Emergency chargers that takes an AA battery (didn’t come with the camera, I already had it)and I understand if I connect it to the cam I’ll get maybe another 20 minutes if I use something like a 2500mah rechargeable. But although I have 6 different connecting cables none of them are right at the cam end of course! Anyone know where I can get a connector with a 3.5mm jack on one end and a plug for the new small 8 pin #11 v2 socket on the other? Looked on EBay to no avail (though it’s hard to know what’s the best search parameter!).
Many thanks
I don't have a version 2, but the only place you could obtain such a cable is from one of the official #11 sellers - but I doubt they have one with the new 8-pin mini-USB plug. They may, however, be kind enough to make the cable for you. It doesn't hurt to ask . The problem with the (old) #11 is that it always used a "special" cable for continuous recording. I don't know if version 2 still uses this system.

FWIW, I had a few of those emergency charges, but found them totally useless and unreliable.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,430 Posts
I've watched a comparison from #11 to #16 and I figured what the heck. I've ordered the #16 and will try it out on my F45 and maybe the 9116 or S800G.
Thanks for all the postings on here!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Well, this is a #11 thread, but since you are new to these cameras it can be confusing at first. Basically, there are only 3 cameras in the keychain 808 format with a decent HD, 720p, to chose from: #11, #16 and #18. You may find one or two other cameras claiming 720p, but the #11, #16 and #18 are the three most popular 808s available.

Except for the slightly better pricing, the #11 is an old model and is no longer properly supported in the form of firmware updates. The #18 is from the same developer and is based on the #11. Video quality is good, and it video-out. Colors are slightly more saturated (unnatural) than the #16, but some people prefer these colors. The #18 can be configured by loading different firmware versions, but there are currently only 5 versions available. If the configuration you want is available, then you're OK.

The #16 is in a completely different league. Compared to the 5 configuration possibilities of the #18 (in the form of firmware versions), the #16 currently well over 6000 configuration possibilities!! And this doesn't include the choice of AVI or MOV video output, which requires a different firmware. The camera can be configured by using a user-friendly, free, GUI program (Windows only) which also includes an integrated instruction manual.
Colors produced by the #16 are more natural. The current #16 does not yet have video out, but the new hardware version, which is expected to be available any day now, does. A new GUI setup program will be available at the same time. Firmware for the new hardware design is backward-compatible to previous versions, but the video-out will obviously not work on earlier models.
The #16 developer monitors the #16 thread and, if possible, will implement frequently asked for parameters. There is also excellent communication between Tom and the developer.

[Edit] Didn't realize your question had been answered already. Sorry, if my post duplicates previous information. May be useful all the same, so I decided not to delete. [/Edit]
I thought I read that the #18 has dropped frame issues which are less of an issue with the #11 and #16.. anyone experienced this?
markm75 is offline Find More Posts by markm75
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
I don't have a version 2, but the only place you could obtain such a cable is from one of the official #11 sellers - but I doubt they have one with the new 8-pin mini-USB plug. They may, however, be kind enough to make the cable for you. It doesn't hurt to ask . The problem with the (old) #11 is that it always used a "special" cable for continuous recording. I don't know if version 2 still uses this system.

FWIW, I had a few of those emergency charges, but found them totally useless and unreliable.
Thanks for that. I did approach the seller but they want to sell me a charger which costs as much as the camera-and from what you're saying these charges aren't exactly brilliant anyway. Guess I should have gone for the Jumbo version.
Regards
joebigtoe is offline Find More Posts by joebigtoe
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I thought I read that the #18 has dropped frame issues which are less of an issue with the #11 and #16.. anyone experienced this?
A lot of issues were corrected in the latest #18. I don't have a #18 myself, so I can't compare the three cameras. My only experience with a #18 was when I upgraded my #11 to a #18, but it was awful. However, that was before the latest firmware updates. Also, I don't tend to use my cameras in the dark (bad lighting), which is the only place that dropped frames will occur.

Since all cameras use the same processor (and CMOS lens assembly?), I would expect the dropped frame issue is similar, but not necessarily the same, with all 3 cameras. In normal lighting conditions there is absolutely no problem. It's only in dark conditions that dropped frames can occur. There are reports where people say the #16 has less dropped frames in poor lighting, and then others who say the #11, or #18 are better. I guess it's anyone's guess to which camera performs better in sup-optimal conditions, and it most probably depends on the type of bad lighting condition as well. It should be noted, however, that these cameras come with a small CMOS sensor and lens and are not optimized for poor lighting conditions.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, but it would need someone to objectively compare all three cameras in the same lighting conditions at the same time. Even a test like this wouldn't tell the true story because slightly different lighting conditions may well yield different results.

There have been some pretty impressive videos of thunderstorms and night-life taken with these cameras, but since there was a lot of "light" in the scenes, I don't think the lighting conditions can be correctly described as poor.

Personally, I don't think the number of dropped frames is an issue, even cameras costing much more will struggle in bad lighting. There are many much more important factors to consider before deciding which camera is best.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
13 Posts
deleted
govt_chees is offline Find More Posts by govt_chees
Last edited by govt_chees; Jun 30, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Dec 2006
154 Posts
I flew my MQX with the #11 808 on it yesterday. I haven't used it for a while. The MQX had a hard landing from several feet up and apparently landed on the camera because there is a scuff on the cam case corner near the shutter button. There wasn't any new videos on the card so I guess I didn't turn it on properly or the battery is bad. When I plug it in now, the red light comes on but the computer doesn't recognize that the camera is plugged in and the cam on/off button doesn't turn it on at all. Do I have a bad battery or is the cam bad? I've already have a #16 and ordered another one today in case the #11 is toast.

P.S. Does anybody on here use the Hobby King wing cam?
Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:48 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Maybe the power button is not making good contact.

I have a HK wing cam, problems with color fluctuation, exposure (ground is dark when sky in view), some dupe frames. Not bad lens, now in my #11. Video can be done with editing of the bad bits. Not bad for still frames

Here's mine, see previous posts in this thread.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
154 Posts
After being plugged in a while, the red light goes out so it appears the battery is charging.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raycamaro View Post
After being plugged in a while, the red light goes out so it appears the battery is charging.
The charging circuitry is independent from the firmware, so if the charging circuitry works, it doesn't mean the camera itself works.

You didn't mention if you have an "old" or a "new" style #11. If you have the new style, perhaps the CMOS lens assembly is not making proper contact in the connector. I suggest you remove the battery and remove and reinsert the lens assembly. I don't have the new #11, but believe it has a removable CMOS lens assembly (like the #16). If not, then my reply is incorrect.

I would also check that the two crystals (those two metal "cans") have not been bent by the crash. They should not be making contact with any nearby components.

If not already done, I would definitely disconnect the battery for a few seconds and press the reset button. Swapping batteries wouldn't do any harm either.

You may also be able to evaluate if the firmware is running at all by trying to set the date and time. If the file disappears after you set the date, then the firmware is running. In my experience, a dead #11 is, in most cases, due to problems with the CMOS lens assembly. If you have an "old" #11 with the soldered assembly, then you are out of luck. I don't think you'll be able to find a suitable replacement.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Dec 2006
154 Posts
It's a couple of years old so it's probably the old version. There is only a small scuff on the corner of the camera. The MQX was undamaged and flew right after so it couldn't have been much of an impact. I pressed on everything inside of the 808 looking for loose connections. It may not have worked before the accident since there was no new video on the SD card. Oh well, new #16 is in the mail.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
My #11 arrived just today. I cannot get my PC to recognize it at all. I cannot get my PC to recognize it as a webcam either. I've taken video and stills and it makes no difference. I have a 2GB micro SD card in it now. The LED's seem to function per the instructions and vids I've watched. Suggestions?

Also I've used the reset button twice.

Edit: I put the micro sd card into another device connected to my PC and the two videos are indeed on the card, I watched them.
So, how do I get my PC to recognize the camera?
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Last edited by BD Murdock; Jul 02, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
My #11 arrived just today. I cannot get my PC to recognize it at all. I cannot get my PC to recognize it as a webcam either. I've taken video and stills and it makes no difference. I have a 2GB micro SD card in it now. The LED's seem to function per the instructions and vids I've watched. Suggestions?

Also I've used the reset button twice.

Edit: I put the micro sd card into another device connected to my PC and the two videos are indeed on the card, I watched them.
So, how do I get my PC to recognize the camera?
If neither webcam nor mass storage mode work it sounds to me as if there could be a problem with your cable. The problem is that the cable is completely proprietary so you'll need a second cable you know works in order to determine if there's a cable problem or a camera problem or a USB problem. This is one of the reasons I really dislike these mini-USB 8-pin plugs.

I hope you can at least charge your camera, and I take it you are using the correct cable, not just the charging cable! I don't have the new #11, but I believe there are still different cables for charging / recording, and PC communication (webcam and mass-storage).
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
I looked at both cables and they seemed to be the same but I will indeed try the other. I'll let you know and thanks. Odd that nothing about this would be in the instruction sheet
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:08 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
I looked at both cables and they seemed to be the same but I will indeed try the other. I'll let you know and thanks. Odd that nothing about this would be in the instruction sheet
You should have one with thin, flat 2-wire cable, which is the one for chraging and powering the camera from an external power source.

You should also have one with a small round cable, which is the full USB data cable... needed to communicate with the computer.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
You are both correct and thanks very much. I fell victim yet again to my impatience and simply didn't examine each cable closely enough.

All is well and I'm now able to access all data.

I'm impressed with the quality of the video, it's better than I expected.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Tom, got the new 808# 11 with the 120 degree angle of view and the video keeps breaking up into seperate 29-30 mb files? I have 16 seperate 30 mb files. that I have to manually stich together.......is this a firmware glitch or a setting that can be adjusted?
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
Tom, got the new 808# 11 with the 120 degree angle of view and the video keeps breaking up into seperate 29-30 mb files? I have 16 seperate 30 mb files. that I have to manually stich together.......is this a firmware glitch or a setting that can be adjusted?
It's neither, really. IF you go to the FW download page linked in the first few posts, you note the FW decides what the recording time is before it does a stop/save/continue sequence. It's not adjustable with this camera like the #16 can do... you have to load in a different FW to get different clip lengths with the #11. I don't have the new #11, nor any other FW for it other than what is already posted for download.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
thats really odd, the selling info on this camera states that its supposed to record a full 4gb before restarting. this 30mb segments is stupid and shouldnt even be allowed in the camera. Who in Gods name would want a 20 second clip?????? Please see if you can contact your connection and get them to get a FW update asap. Otherwise this was money flushed IMO and the orig. was a better choice. Sorry for the attitude here but for 50.00 I expect more.

By the way, i did check and theres just the one FW for the 808 #11 V2 and it doesnt pertain to extended recording times. Is it a bad idea to use a V1 FW? If not I advise everyone to save your money until a logical fix emerges

Lastly, this cam is saving the files in .AVI format and not MOV.
Last edited by hidaven; Jul 04, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Joe

Is your camera cutting your clips at 30MB??

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebigtoe View Post
I've just got a no.11 version 2 camera. I have one of those Emergency chargers that takes an AA battery (didnít come with the camera, I already had it)and I understand if I connect it to the cam Iíll get maybe another 20 minutes if I use something like a 2500mah rechargeable. But although I have 6 different connecting cables none of them are right at the cam end of course! Anyone know where I can get a connector with a 3.5mm jack on one end and a plug for the new small 8 pin #11 v2 socket on the other? Looked on EBay to no avail (though itís hard to know whatís the best search parameter!).
Many thanks
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
thats really odd, the selling info on this camera states that its supposed to record a full 4gb before restarting. this 30mb segments is stupid and shouldnt even be allowed in the camera. Who in Gods name would want a 20 second clip?????? Please see if you can contact your connection and get them to get a FW update asap. Otherwise this was money flushed IMO and the orig. was a better choice. Sorry for the attitude here but for 50.00 I expect more.

By the way, i did check and theres just the one FW for the 808 #11 V2 and it doesnt pertain to extended recording times. Is it a bad idea to use a V1 FW? If not I advise everyone to save your money until a logical fix emerges

Lastly, this cam is saving the files in .AVI format and not MOV.
Well first, I'm not the complaint department for this camera! I only started and try to maintain this thread as a resource for others, so if you have suggestions for the developer, the best way is to make it known to your vendor. They work very closely with the developer. Since I don't have the new camera version, I can't really support the camera or questions like this anymore.

I don't know what the FW clip length or output format should be for the one firmware that is available for the new camera. But you are right about the very brief recording time... I answered your first post while travelling and did not correlate the recording time with the file size. The FW does limit the individual clip length, but I have no idea what it is with the new camera since I don't have the new version. It could be anywhere from 5 min. to 70+ min. There is a 4GB file size limit with the FAT32 file system, but I don't know if the new camera can stop/save/continue recording if it waits until the file size limit is reached (earlier versions could not). Of course, you'd need an external power source and larger capacity memory card for that to be of any advantage, too.

And YES, using version 1 camera firmware in the version 2 camera is definitely a bad idea as I clearly stated in bolded red type in the firmware download page.

FWIW, the #18 is also made by the same developer and is essentially the same main internal circuit components as the #11 except it has implemented the GPU video-out capability. With the #18, some very short recordings similar to what you described have been reported by a few people, and it's been reported that formatting the memory card with 32k allocation blocks has resolved the problem. You may be the first to find and report a similar issue with the #11! Apparently it's only a problem with certain memory cards.

Good luck!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 04, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
hmmmmmm

dont mean to sound off on you Tom......Tried a new card and still the same nonsense. Im sure its a firmware issue, hopfully it will get resolved. Thanks

Quote:
Well first, I'm not the complaint department for this camera! I only started and try to maintain this thread as a resource for others, so if you have suggestions for the developer, the best way is to make it known to your vendor. They work very closely with the developer. Since I don't have the new camera version, I can't really support the camera or questions like this anymore.

I don't know what the FW clip length or output format should be for the one firmware that is available for the new camera. But you are right about the very brief recording time... I answered your first post while travelling and did not correlate the recording time with the file size. The FW does limit the individual clip length, but I have no idea what it is with the new camera since I don't have the new version. It could be anywhere from 5 min. to 70+ min. There is a 4GB file size limit with the FAT32 file system, but I don't know if the new camera can stop/save/continue recording if it waits until the file size limit is reached (earlier versions could not). Of course, you'd need an external power source and larger capacity memory card for that to be of any advantage, too.

And YES, using version 1 camera firmware in the version 2 camera is definitely a bad idea as I clearly stated in bolded red type in the firmware download page.

FWIW, the #18 is also made by the same developer and is essentially the same main internal circuit components as the #11 except it has implemented the GPU video-out capability. With the #18, some very short recordings similar to what you described have been reported by a few people, and it's been reported that formatting the memory card with 32k allocation blocks has resolved the problem. You may be the first to find and report a similar issue with the #11! Apparently it's only a problem with certain memory cards.

Good luck!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
dont mean to sound off on you Tom......Tried a new card and still the same nonsense. Im sure its a firmware issue, hopfully it will get resolved. Thanks
Did you confirm or try to format your card with 32k allocation block sizes? It would be good to know if this is a problem similar to and fixable with this workaround, like it's sister #18 camera. The FW has not been reported to do this from other #11 V2 users, so I think its either a card problem or something with your camera.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 04, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Happy 4th of July (Independence Day for the US crowd).

4th of July Eagle Flight (2 min 9 sec)
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Tom

Installed the one and only firmware for the V2. it seemed to have worked. it actually got better in that when the camera is running and taking video, the yellow LED flashes, I like it better that way to confirm its operation. Files are now limitless up to 4GB. One odd thing, before it was recording in AVI format, now its back to MOV. odd right???

Camera is just as good as the go pro, great winning AOV now. case could have been smaller and the bottons are WAY too easily pushed by accident. design and size goes to the V1. image, WB, wide angle and brightness control, hands down to the V2.

Quote:
Did you confirm or try to format your card with 32k allocation block sizes? It would be good to know if this is a problem similar to and fixable with this workaround, like it's sister #18 camera. The FW has not been reported to do this from other #11 V2 users, so I think its either a card problem or something with your camera.
Last edited by hidaven; Jul 04, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,182 Posts
Quote:
Installed the one and only firmware for the V2. it seemed to have worked. it actually got better in that when the camera is running and taking video, the yellow LED flashes, I like it better that way to confirm its operation. Files are now limitless up to 4GB. One odd thing, before it was recording in AVI format, now its back to MOV. odd right???
It sounds like your camera was shipped with AVI output older firmware, and the new one is MOV format, so nothing odd about that... just different firmware, and better for most users since the AVI format is not editable. Also, the LED recording indicator is mentioned in the name of the FW on the download page. So I guess I can now also mention the MOV format.

Have you been able to get a full 4GB file, with the camera then stopping, saving, and continuing to record? That should also be noted if you can confirm this actually works.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 04, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
#11V2_Time Off_LED On.zip

Quote:
It sounds like your camera was shipped with AVI output older firmware, and the new one is MOV format, so nothing odd about that... just different firmware, and better for most users since the AVI format is not editable. Also, the LED recording indicator is mentioned in the name of the FW on the download page. So I guess I can now also mention the MOV format.

Have you been able to get a full 4GB file, with the camera then stopping, saving, and continuing to record? That should also be noted if you can confirm this actually works.
Firmware: #11V2_Time Off_LED On.zip

What could have been exactly what most of us want has turned out to be totally useless!!!
The firmware outputs the video file in MOV format - GOOD
The firmware removes the timestamp - GOOD
The firmware blinks the LED while recording - GOOD
The firmware writes 4GB files (or maybe 70 min. files) - GOOD
BUT - if you let the camera continue (with a 32GB card, for example), it will DELETE the file it has just written and start overwriting it. The firmware will never start another file, so for my 32GB card 28GB will remain unused no matter how long the camera runs. This is the MOST INSANE FUNCTIONALITY I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!

So I guess I'll have to keep on waiting until the developer gives us a firmware that most people want .

What a disappointment
Last edited by Isoprop; Jul 05, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:55 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
That's a common functionality for car dvr. People want to record continuously just in case something interesting happens.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:01 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,152 Posts
But the problem I see here is that ISO is saying it actually deletes (or at least starts overwriting the index/keyframes of the) original 32 gig recorded video rendering the last XX hours of video nuked? Rather than saving in blocks of 30min, 60mins etc.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:20 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
True, smaller blocks would be better, but some see a time gap of a few sec between blocks. Hmmm..
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
That's a common functionality for car dvr. People want to record continuously just in case something interesting happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
But the problem I see here is that ISO is saying it actually deletes (or at least starts overwriting the index/keyframes of the) original 32 gig recorded video rendering the last XX hours of video nuked? Rather than saving in blocks of 30min, 60mins etc.
Fugitive_Bill, you are right, maybe my explanation wasn't clear. I've edited my original posting to try and make it more clear.
Given a 32GB card, this is what the firmware does:
It records a 4GB, or 70 min. file (not quite sure which), then it starts overwriting the SAME FILE!! So, after many hours my 32GB will only have 1 tiny 4GB file. The remaining 28GB of empty space is still empty!!!! The firmware will never, ever start a new file. It just keeps on overwriting the same 70 min. file.

So, if I record 71 minutes (assuming the clips are 70 mins. long), I will have ONE MINUTE of video!!! - on a 32GB card!!!!!!!!!

This is certainly not common functionality for car dvr - at least I hope it isn't!
Last edited by Isoprop; Jul 05, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:41 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Yes, that's clearer! Could be a problem in a car if an incident begins at say 69min, the camera would continue and erase it unless stopped before the 70min cutoff.

Not a problem for me, I never record flights over 20min. I assume a 32gb card would then be useful, each flight would be saved separately.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's clearer! Could be a problem in a car if an incident begins at say 69min, the camera would continue and erase it unless stopped before the 70min cutoff.

Not a problem for me, I never record flights over 20min. I assume a 32gb card would then be useful, each flight would be saved separately.
And I record for 6-7 hours on my 32GB card - and land up with possible only 1 minute of video. NO THANKS.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:43 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Yep, not for recording continuously.

@hidaven: any video to post yet? Seems you are ok now, I'm interested to see how is focus across the full frame. My #11 with the HK wing 120deg lens is short focussed on the edges, ok in the center.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Hey everyone, got an issue... hope someone can help. I just purchased an 808 #11 from eletech086 and charged it up. My first video i shot was clear... BUT it had a constant clear then screwed up image flashing in and out at a constant rate.
Vid here:
HD808 #11 Problem (0 min 37 sec)

Maybe its an easy fix? Maybe not... But it is not going to work for me like this haha.

EDIT: ok well it is only doing this on my computer... obviously there is nothing wrong with the video... hmmm.....
motorheadluke is offline Find More Posts by motorheadluke
Last edited by motorheadluke; Jul 05, 2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: update
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadluke View Post
Hey everyone, got an issue... hope someone can help. I just purchased an 808 #11 from eletech086 and charged it up. My first video i shot was clear... BUT it had a constant clear then screwed up image flashing in and out at a constant rate.
Vid here: http://youtu.be/RNkFDRydj2E
Maybe its an easy fix? Maybe not... But it is not going to work for me like this haha.

EDIT: ok well it is only doing this on my computer... obviously there is nothing wrong with the video... hmmm.....
Have you tried downloading the freeware VLC viewer, it uses less horsepower from your machine than many other viewers - even Microsoft (if you use windows, Apple is similare).
Mike
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Nov 2003
217 Posts
Isoprop, I would like to think the Vendor would be helpfull, At least on the card issue, Not to good for sales the way it is. I almost pulled the trigger on one, until I seen your problem. I'm sure others are keeping tabs on this cam as well. Jay
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Here you go! Excuse the glitches as those are the seams from my orig. problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKb4P...e_gdata_player
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with the cam. As stated, for RC flying etc. 70 min is an eternity.....
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:54 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Quote:
Depends on what you want to do with the cam. As stated, for RC flying etc. 70 min is an eternity.....
I would agree, a non issue for my flights. I combine several short flights into one short video like here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4099

Your cam looks good, nice focus across the frame. Mine has an issue there, also more color hunting (original v1 #11 with HK wing lens)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
yeah the orig. one was terrible at color shifting and brightness control. also vignetting on the orig. 808 #11 V1. This cam is MUCH more usable and the quality for the size and weight is fantastic. WAY better choice than the go pro heavy camera, at least for RC aerial work....
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:19 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
I did notice that vignetting is negligible if any, for your cam. Mine was greatly improved with the 120 lens.

I'd say you have a winner!!
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
What id really like is to somehow put that lens on the orig. 808# 11. It's smaller and more compact and the buttons aren't accidentally pushed as much.......
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Quote:
What id really like is to somehow put that lens on the orig. 808# 11. It's smaller and more compact and the buttons aren't accidentally pushed as much.......
I would leave it as is, but if its a 7mm lens barrel it could be a simple screw in replacement, as with mine. Mine is 18g so can go almost anywhere. The focus needs a tweak, the grass is clear at the end in this vid from yesterday.

#11 on Ace High (2 min 57 sec)
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:00 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,369 Posts
My HK A-Cam on the handlebar this a.m.
Good image all over.
Really blue sky!
I only that blue at the edges of the #16 cameras.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:59 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
My HK A-Cam on the handlebar this a.m.
Good image all over.
Really blue sky!
I only that blue at the edges of the #16 cameras.
That's the lens I'm using in my #11. It seems slightly wider AOV than the new jumbo. I'd still go wth the jumbo if I was to do over.
Last edited by victapilot; Jul 07, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:50 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,220 Posts
Hiya

I bought an #11 about a year ago and got frustrated with it so put it aside to focus on other things.
Recently I got it back out and decided to have a go fixing "the problem."

That being converting, saving, and playing back the file.

The files run fine in quicktime and WMM but when I save them they play back all pixelated and with pink blotches everywhere. Frame rate is rather stilted too.

My system is Window 7 and I have the latest update of Windows Essentials.

I have tried converting them to AVI files but get a similar result.

I'm sure there is something obvious that I am missing, but I have been through all the advice at the start of this thread and can't see where I might be going wrong.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Hi all,

has anyone ever tried to use the Action cam holder from PED-Products with an 808 #16 cam and mount additionally an Deal extreme 0,67 wide angle lens?
If you just stick the lens in front of the Action cam holder the small inner diameter of the wide angle lens will already create dark areas on your video screen.

Regards
Guenther

Quote:
This mount was briefly mentioned in a few user posts a while back, and I recently obtained one with multiple base attachments and have a few observations that are not obvious in the product web pages here:
  • First, this is no hastily concocted flimsy plastic mount! The plastic is thick and appears very durable with some nice design features.
  • There are SIX points of support for the camera case!
    • Two rubber "bumpers" at the front
    • Two soft rubber pads on the bottom (front and back)
    • One machine screw stud (rubber-clad) at the rear
    • One latch at the aft end
    In short, the camera is held VERY secure when snapped into place, and will not vibrate or move around in the mount (see photos 1 & 2).
  • The camera appears to be angled slightly and off center at the rear when latched in the mount... and it is, but apparently for good reason! The camera case has a curved front with the lens offset to one side and fitted flush (normally) with the curve of the case. This angles the lens view slightly left of where the camera case centerline is pointing. This mount locates the aft end of the camera slightly off center, via the machine screw stud, which apparently put the lens view axis back parallel with the axis of the camera mount! So when the mount is "aimed" where you want it, the camera will be also! The machine screw stud is located in a slotted hole, so it can be moved slightly to precisely align a given camera if the lens is slightly canted inside the camera case. Neat! (see photos 2 & 3)
  • The camera is located recessed back in the mount frame (see photo 3). My concern that the mount opening might obstruct the #11HD wide field of view were unfounded. The recessed lens location makes the case act as an effective lens shield, preventing unwanted light outside the field of view from striking the lens when shooting near the sun, minimizing lens flare and washout! This also allows space to adhere a small glass lens cover inside the mount frame if desired to keep dirt, water splashes, etc. from hitting the lens. And if the rest of the camera case were wrapped in a layer of plastic sandwich wrap, the whole camera would be pretty resistent to rain or other water splashes. But PED is developing a shield specifically for these purposes, so there should soon be another better solution.
  • I found the "V-bottom" axial rail built into the bottom of the main mount bracket (see photo 3) to seat very firmly on the bill of a ball cap, either on the top or the bottom, secured with a screw into the bill of the cap, making a secure CapCam mount which stays in alignment.
  • Finally, I discovered an inherent risk with some cameras if the user is not careful when inserting the camera into the mount. When my flash card is latched in my camera, the corners of the flash card slightly protrude outside the case of the camera, and the card slot is in close proximity to the mount frame when inserted (see photo 4). As I was pushing my camera into the front of the mount, I unknowingly pushed the corner of the flash card, causing it to unlatch from it's holder and interfere with the mount frame when I was trying to latch the aft end of the camera into the mount. Everything... camera, flash card, and mount are about the same black color, so I did not see the problem when the camera would not snap into position in the mount. And not knowing the first time how much force it should take to seat the camera in the mount, I pushed a bit harder. The camera then snapped into position, but I didn't like the "snap sound"... thought I had broken the mount latch. A close look confirmed the mount latch is designed to deflect sufficiently for the camera to be seated without over-stressing the plastic, so it was then I discovered what you have already guessed... I broke the flash card! (see photo 5) This was user error, not a design problem with the camera or the mount, but one that deserves an alert here if anyone uses one of these mounts.
If you have a need to move/mount this camera on different types of equipment, the multiple securement method options of this package is a good way to do it while getting the same camera alignment every time you move it.
<Edit 4/26/2012> A slip on weather cover with replaceable lens windows is now available. It covers the top and sides of the entire camera and the holder (photos 6 and 7). While this does not protect the camera if it is fully submerged in water, it is well designed to protect it from rain, splashes, etc. that could occur in above ground use.

The vendor has also announced he is now a re-seller of the #16 HD keychain camera (reportedly obtained from one of the verified Ebay sellers [eletoponline365]. This gives a North America source for the camera (with re-seller markup) if buying from China via Ebay is a concern.

A 25% discount for RC Groups members was also announced by the vendor. Enter "PED-RC" (without the quotes) in the discount code box when you check out to get the discount.
Unicross71 is offline Find More Posts by Unicross71
Last edited by Unicross71; Jul 13, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:48 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
Hiya

I bought an #11 about a year ago and got frustrated with it so put it aside to focus on other things.
Recently I got it back out and decided to have a go fixing "the problem."

That being converting, saving, and playing back the file.

The files run fine in quicktime and WMM but when I save them they play back all pixelated and with pink blotches everywhere. Frame rate is rather stilted too.

My system is Window 7 and I have the latest update of Windows Essentials.

I have tried converting them to AVI files but get a similar result.

I'm sure there is something obvious that I am missing, but I have been through all the advice at the start of this thread and can't see where I might be going wrong.
First Standard Answer is to ask you to download and try the Freeware VLC media viewer - It is known to display most files on most machines, even when the local OS provided programs don't.
let us know how this gets on with your files straight off the camera, and on the ouput of your editor(s). - short sample videos help a lot in diagnosise.
Mike
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Put an end to intermitent 'buzzing' sound and/or video artifacts on #11 cameras

Hi everyone - It's been a good while since I last posted, so I thought I'd share a mod that will eliminate the annoying 'buzzing' sound and/or video artifacts, as the battery starts to run down on your #11 camera. This issue was addressed of course with the launch of the #16, but to the best of my knowledge at the time of posting, still remains a problem with #11.

As a bonus to this relatively simple fix, your battery life should be extended by around 15% (in tests), adding 6 minutes or so to your current recording time using a good 250mAh LiPo cell
The cause of these sound and video issues centres around the stock 3.3V voltage regulator fitted on the front (USB socket side) of the PCB. The IC is a 5-pin SOT-25 device marked 4A2* - the * is the batch code and will be a letter such as B D or C etc. The regulator fitted is a TOREX XC6204332 - datasheet HERE

Technical stuff :

There are two major problems with this factory fitted regulator : 1/ It has a maximum current rating of 150ma, but typically the device has to deliver over 100ma continuously and subsequently gets hot, wasting precious power. 2/ It has a high dropout voltage of 200mv (0.2V) rising to over 300mv at 100ma - this has a marked effect on the available recording time of the camera.

The replacement, a Texas Instruments TPS73633DBVT - datasheet HERE has a rated output current of 400ma, limited at 800ma. As a result it runs cool, disipating very little power.
In contrast, the dropout voltage of the TI regulator is specified at 75mv. However in practise it's much lower than this - I measured a miniscule dropout of just 26mv with a 100ma load.
The NMOS output stage and clever high frequency 4Mhz charge-pump make it a very efficient, low noise and reliable replacement for the original regulator.

I can't recommend this modification highly enough and at a cost of around 65 pence / $1 excluding shipping, makes it a very worthwhile and satifying mod. You may even be able to get a free sample from the TI website.
Yes, the regulator can be a bit fiddly to swap out if you're not used to handling surface mount devices, but after disconnecting the battery you can wrap the whole PCB in tin foil, neatly cutting out a small square hole where the regulator is. This will prevent solder splashes getting onto the PCB, as well as acting as a perfect anti-static sheild for the board. By far the easiest way to remove the IC, is to surround it in flux paste and heat the plastic package directly until the solder on all five legs melts. It can then be gently lifted off the board with a pair of fine-tipped tweezers.

You will notice from the TOREX datasheet that pin 4 is not used - NC (no connection), while the TI device uses this pin for a noise reduction capacitor (NR).
It appears that the the camera manufacturers decided to fit a 10nf capacitor to the PCB to cover all eventualities when sourcing 'equivalent' components.
If required, the value of this capacitor, circled in yellow on the third photo, can be increased in value from 10nf to 100nf to acheive a noise level of below 30 microvolts using the TI device specified here.

Have fun - Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Last edited by timetec; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Closed Thread