HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
I have the original #11, so it might be different.

When connected to computer USB, led is red. Press the power button while connected, the led is yellow and the computer recognises the cam as a drive.

When not connected, it may take a long press (1 sec) to turn on. It turns on, yellow led, when the button released.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, CA, Morro Bay
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Thats the issue here. The cam will NOT power up either way. If the cam is not plugged into computer I get nothing when I press the power button. Nothing, no lights. Plugged into the usb post I get the solid red and press the power button it stays red, never changes to yellow and of course computer doesn't see since it won't power on.
firedude52 is offline Find More Posts by firedude52
Old May 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Dealing with hxelepro (seller ) now and they aren't much help.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Well seller isn't helping (keep pushing buttons lol?) I guess I wound up with a bricked cam. I hate buying anything from China. To return it and wait for replacement I'm looking at a month or more. I guess my in flight videos are a lost cause. Unless someone here has a magic answer I guess I'm done..... Thanks for those who answered.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Cam being sent back for replacement (per seller)
Old May 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,156 Posts
Have ya pressed the reset button yet?
Noticed you haven't mentioned doing that.
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old May 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Bill I did it all A-Z. Seller says power unit must have gone bad so returning for replacement. Hope the new one arrives from China before my Social Security lol (I'm only in my 50's)
Old May 11, 2012, 03:28 AM
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Mar 2012
65 Posts
I've just read through your last few posts. Have you tried a Class 4 Micro SD Card. Some Class 10 Cards seem not to work on these keychain cams.
clarebanner is offline Find More Posts by clarebanner
Old May 11, 2012, 03:30 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
firedude52-

If your in a hurry you could buy another camera now and when they receive the camera you sent back tell them to refund the money...that would cut the mail time in half...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old May 11, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedude52 View Post
Bill I did it all A-Z. Seller says power unit must have gone bad so returning for replacement. Hope the new one arrives from China before my Social Security lol (I'm only in my 50's)
I don't have a NEW #11, but have you tried turning it on without a card inserted? I'm just thinking that your problem could be a card issue and not a camera issue. A "blind" firmware update may also help, but I don't know if the listed firmware files works on the NEW #11....A lot of unknowns.... There is no information available for the NEW #11 which makes it Not good.... Maybe you've already sent it back in which case my reply will be too late.

If you want a replacement faster, maybe you could make an arangement to "buy" a new camera and get a refund when the seller receives your camera back. The seller is reliable. China Post is horribly slow but very cheap. I guess you can't get the best of two worlds.

[EDIT] Between writing and posting I was away for 3 hours and see that others have replied. Sorry [/EDIT]
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old May 11, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Thanks all.... Actually have tried it all, but the Class 4 card idea, but was told by the seller they do work with the Class 10 and in fact suggested it. We shall see. Seller wound up being pretty helpful. Has already checked out a replacement cam insuring it worked well, packaged it and ships today. Told me to simply return the old one back. For a seller to do that I figure I have to give it a try. That's pretty stand up I think..... I'll let ya know how that goes..........
Old May 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined May 2011
30 Posts
Hello, I've recently tried using my #11 cam (purchased about a year ago) after it was in storage for quite some time. I tried turning it on but there was no response. I let it get a full charge (red light/charging works fine), yet it still will not power up. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps in the instructions in this thread, but no response. Resetting does nothing, I've also disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and reconnected it to no avail. Any help or has my camera bricked itself by sitting??
rev0 is offline Find More Posts by rev0
Old May 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,156 Posts
Perhaps the battery has has gone bye-bye and not taking a charge.
What volts is reading?
Even better, if possible what volts under load of the camera or a 150ohm resistor with an LED ?
Old May 11, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Bill, if in fact the battery charges and has the red light could he possibly try to re-flash with firmware? I know it's a risk and depending the model and date would need the correct firmware. He could end up bricking it, but would be no worse off than he is now. I was going to try until the seller sent a new one right out to me while awaiting my defective one which was cool.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev0 View Post
Hello, I've recently tried using my #11 cam (purchased about a year ago) after it was in storage for quite some time. I tried turning it on but there was no response. I let it get a full charge (red light/charging works fine), yet it still will not power up. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps in the instructions in this thread, but no response. Resetting does nothing, I've also disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and reconnected it to no avail. Any help or has my camera bricked itself by sitting??
Given that the camera used to work, I wouldn't try installing the new firmware just yet. Assuming the battery is OK, you most probably just need patience.
I had two #11 which did exactly the same - nothing! After all sorts of button presses I left them alone for a couple of hours and then repeated. A day or two later they both magically jumped back to life! It may be that the battery is too charged (I can't say "overcharged"). A stupid theory I know, but that's how I felt at the time.....

My problems were all last year, and I've never had any issues with them since.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Iso I tried that to no avail in my situation. I only went a maximum of 24 hours though, but since seller said they were sending replacement (tested) out right away I opted for that and shipped the inop one back today. Great seller to do that without waiting for the defective cam to be returned first. Save a LOT of waiting time for new cam. For rev0 it's sure worth the try!
Old May 12, 2012, 07:59 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
This camera does hunt color sometimes, but with the HK wing lens it seems better. The red and blue in this unadjusted video are right on.

The #16 might be more user configurable, but I use the #11 as received.

E-Starter Flights (3 min 7 sec)
Old May 12, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Greet video. Was that with the 808 #11? I've compared the HK wing cam with the 808 #11 and not a lot of difference, a little and like you say the lens. The wing cam puts out AVI which is easy to convert since they are such big files, but with the 808 putting out the .MOV files it's much easier since I use MS Essentials Movie Maker. The wing cam doesn't have much of a case either which I didn't really like. I'm not out for any cinematography awards anyway, just a decent video.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
This camera does hunt color sometimes, but with the HK wing lens it seems better. The red and blue in this unadjusted video are right on.

The #16 might be more user configurable, but I use the #11 as received.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqH...e_gdata_player
I can see the color hue changing throughout your entire video, except at the beginning when the scene is stationary. To me, this ruins a video. If the #11 would just lock in on ONE color setting, it would MUCH better, since then the user can easily boost or diminish the color saturation to their liking with an editor... like the #16... with all it's user config settings (about to get even better). But, to each his own... I've got no quarrel with others if they prefer the #11... just pointing out the #16 has more to offer than just many easy user toggles.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Oh NP, great video and I'm not familiar with the newer 808's, but sounds like I need to be I'm learning lol.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Greet video. Was that with the 808 #11? I've compared the HK wing cam with the 808 #11 and not a lot of difference, a little and like you say the lens. The wing cam puts out AVI which is easy to convert since they are such big files, but with the 808 putting out the .MOV files it's much easier since I use MS Essentials Movie Maker. The wing cam doesn't have much of a case either which I didn't really like. I'm not out for any cinematography awards anyway, just a decent video.
WLMM that come with WINEssentials should be able to import and edit either AVI or MOV files. If anyone needs the AVI file container rather than MOV, they only need to run it through MP4cam2AVI utility for a lossless, fast repackaging of the video and audio streams into an AVI container. The size of a file doesn't really matter.
.. not sure what you were getting at with AVI being easier to convert because of the big files size.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
True... I forgot WE Movie maker will import the AVI's. I was thinking I had to convert the AVI for import and remember I don't. The AVI files are much larger, but the end product is basically the same. Good point. I've just been so used to working with .MOV files for so long. So far oth cams until i get the wing cam of my own shoot MOV files right now.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
Quote:
The HK wing cam uses mjpeg, and drops frames, although not so bad with a fast card in good light. It also underexposes the ground when sky is in frame, so overall not so good for av. The lens is 120aov diagonal, so its good for what I want with #11. BTW, some guys get good still pictures by frame grab, maybe mjpeg is good for that.

Tom, waiting patiently for reviews of the #16+, hope those developers come with other lens options too.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
True... I forgot WE Movie maker will import the AVI's. I was thinking I had to convert the AVI for import and remember I don't. The AVI files are much larger, but the end product is basically the same. Good point. I've just been so used to working with .MOV files for so long. So far oth cams until i get the wing cam of my own shoot MOV files right now.
The AVI file is much larger, probably close to 3 times larger, not because of the AVI format, but because the camera uses the MJPEG video codec to compress the file, not the H.264 codec used by "real" HD keychain cams. For a given quality, H.264 can produce MUCH smaller files. The AVI and MOV formats as just containers to hold the data, and both are very close to the same size if they both use the same video codec and data rate.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,186 Posts
Has this camera lost it's exposure metering ability or is it because it is way back in the fuselage, away from the windscreen? I thought it was better before. It has taken some hard licks.

Glare.mp4 (1 min 31 sec)
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old May 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
My guess is it is normal, the camera averages exposure across the frame.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined May 2012
28 Posts
Improved #16 for aircraft

The 808 #16 camera can be adapted to run off of your receiver's 5VDC. Then you can remove the battery all together making it the plane lighter and ensuring that the recording lasts the entire flight. I did it on my plane and it works great. I got the adapter cable on ebay by searching "808 #16 receiver" -- got mine from this person: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150815324522...#ht_1034wt_148
ecovato is offline Find More Posts by ecovato
Old May 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined May 2012
28 Posts
Solution to dead battery --- run off RX

The above is will also solve a dead battery.
ecovato is offline Find More Posts by ecovato
Last edited by ecovato; May 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Double post by mistake
Old May 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecovato View Post
The 808 #16 camera can be adapted to run off of your receiver's 5VDC. Then you can remove the battery all together making it the plane lighter and ensuring that the recording lasts the entire flight. I did it on my plane and it works great. I got the adapter cable on ebay by searching "808 #16 receiver" -- got mine from this person: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150815324522...#ht_1034wt_148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecovato View Post
The above is will also solve a dead battery.
And depending on the source of the receiver +5V supply, it could also cause a complete loss of control! The camera has the equivalent power consumption of a couple of micro-servos. If the plane is electric powered and RX +5V supply is taken from the motor ESC linear BEC circuit, it could easily cause the BEC circuit to overheat and shut down, depending on the size and number of any additional servos being powered from the same power source. That means no power to the RX or servos! So, it's a good idea to put any recommendations like this in the proper context.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
I connected the 808 #11 to QR Ladybird, it works almost perfect! I removed the case and battery, connected the power wires to QR Ladybird directly to share it's battery power, however the cam shutdown very soon because of voltage drop. Is there any way to disable the auto shutdown function of the cam?

QR Ladybird Flight Video (1 min 13 sec)
pauliu is offline Find More Posts by pauliu
Last edited by pauliu; May 16, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliu View Post
I connected the 808 #11 to QR Ladybird, it works almost perfect! I removed the case and battery, connected the power wires to QR Ladybird directly to share it's battery power, however the cam shutdown very soon because of voltage drop. Is there any way to disable the auto shutdown function of the cam?
No. The electronics need at least ~3.6V to run. If the cutoff was lower, the camera would likely corrupt the last clip and maybe the SD card.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Well I got the replacement for the 808 HD #11 and actually wound up with 2, Both work great. Apparently the original had a power supply issue. The seller is great to work with and not bad shipping from China at 7 days.

The cams are pretty good resolution I have to admit. Depending on lighting they sometimes have to "hunt" colors down, but for the most part they're great. Mounted on on my helicopter but had a somewhat wobbly mount so got oscillating waves in the video and changed mounts, more rigid with thin foam which solved that.

One thing I've notice and it's suppose to be a 5 mega pixel cam for still shots, but the stills are poor and not sharp and clear as they claim. I use my regular cam for stills anyway. Not too worried about it as I wanted them for the video and the video resolution is great for what I wanted them for and actually exceeded my expectations. Lens seems to be multi focused to do well at images up close as well as far away. I wound up using a Class 10 sdhc card with each and both work well and no dropped frames of course and nice smooth video.

Just not sure on the still photo resolution issue. I'll contact the seller and ask. Other than that I'm pretty happy with them thus far.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
One thing I've notice and it's suppose to be a 5 mega pixel cam for still shots, but the stills are poor and not sharp and clear as they claim.
Just not sure on the still photo resolution issue. I'll contact the seller and ask.
The still images are upsized from the native CMOS image, hence the loss of resolution. It's a bit of a stretch in advertising to call them "5 mega-pixel" still images when a majority of the image pixels are created during the upsizing process. Some other camera ads will more accurately state "5MP (interpolated)" or some such wording to tell the full story.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Thanks Tom, makes sense to me. I use my regular camera for stills anyway and satisfied with the video resolution. Still working on my mount trying to minimize the vibes. Got rid of the oscillation waves in the video, now to reduce the vibes and of course some of it is the heli anyway. We'll see what happens.......
Old May 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
It ain't fun unless you can laff at urself sometimes.

Here's my latest keyfob adventures. The plane/boat is an RC Powers F1 Hydro that I built out of Depron from his plans.

I wrapped the keyfob in Saran wrap to keep the moisture out and secured it to the bottom. It worked really well and the video is surprisily clear. Also notice how when it does get wet on the cover how quickly it just seems to "drain" and become clear again.

Sorry it's a little longer then I like to make my vids but it is really a 2 parter. The best is the crash at the start of "Day 2"

F-1 Hydro Flight and Crash (7 min 8 sec)

If you want to see what it looks like from the ground here is the vid I posted earlier taken with the same camera mounted and an eyeglass clip.

F1 HYDRO (3 min 57 sec)

Enjoy,

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; May 21, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Mar 2008
149 Posts
Myth or new HD keychain cam is out? Says it supports 1920X1080 30fps. From one of the recommended sellers at the top of this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1080...item3376591c2b
moab is offline Find More Posts by moab
Old May 21, 2012, 06:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
It ain't fun unless you can laff at urself sometimes.

Here's my latest keyfob adventures. The plane/boat is an RC Powers F1 Hydro that I built out of Depron from his plans.
Yabba
Really neat camera angle, Yabba... it almost looked like the camera was partially submerged at times... kind of a "frog's eye view" of things! I liked the part where the severed sponson (I think it was) slowly drifted through the scene. But was the rest of the plane floating upside down at that point... the video was right side up Nice water flying venue!
Old May 21, 2012, 06:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moab View Post
Myth or new HD keychain cam is out? Says it supports 1920X1080 30fps. From one of the recommended sellers at the top of this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1080...item3376591c2b
It's been out for a couple months... there'a a thread on it I started in this forum. It has some problems that are not yet resolved.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:27 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
Yabba, that's fun! Good job by the rescue boats.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:17 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Really neat camera angle, Yabba... it almost looked like the camera was partially submerged at times... kind of a "frog's eye view" of things! I liked the part where the severed sponson (I think it was) slowly drifted through the scene. But was the rest of the plane floating upside down at that point... the video was right side up Nice water flying venue!
Thx Tom,

The video was inverted so...... I rotated it 180 degrees in MovieMaker and then when it went submerged I split the clip and left the remainder un-rotated (if that makes sense).

And yes, that was a sponson floating by which really "made" the whole clip

I got all the pieces back and both sponsons severed cleanly and are already epoxied back in place and the breakaway motor mount "broke away as it was suppossed to do.

All electronics are OK (fresh water thank goodness) so the only thing it cost me was my battery. It sleeps with the fishes

Yabba
Old May 21, 2012, 09:19 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Yabba, that's fun! Good job by the rescue boats.
Thx Vic. They got mad when I said the "tugboats" had arrived

I had a fishing pole with a bobber and a filed off treble hook (with the barbs tweezed down) that also works well when they are fairly close in like that.

Take care,
Yabba

edit: anyone know what I'm doing wrong with my video link to youtube? The embedded player does't seem to be embedding

EDIT 2: Never mind, I got it.
Last edited by Yabba; May 21, 2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: figured it out
Old May 22, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Hi Got an #18 and just received my #11
All ok apart from a beeping sound every 1 second?? can this be removed?

Is there a way to Insert the time and date as I see on the first pages here that those files are only for the earlier versions
Goldpanner is offline Find More Posts by Goldpanner
Old May 22, 2012, 07:27 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
Quote:

I had a fishing pole with a bobber and a filed off treble hook (with the barbs tweezed down) that also works well when they are fairly close in like that.

Take care,
Yabba

edit: anyone know what I'm doing wrong with my video link to youtube? The embedded player does't seem to be embedding

I mentioned that I have a buddy who had a similar flying boat, well I flipped an estarter on floats and he moved in to rescue. Before I could call him off, his front mounted prop had sent little bits of foam into the breeze and across the lake. Wish I had a video...

I use a grapple made from coat hanger wire, with Styrofoam around the shaft. I can toss it over 100yd with a rod, works fine.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:30 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldpanner View Post

Is there a way to Insert the time and date as I see on the first pages here that those files are only for the earlier versions
Is the beeping due to low battery? Maybe you could post a sample vid.

Better check with the seller for the date question
Old May 22, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Is the beeping due to low battery? Maybe you could post a sample vid.

Better check with the seller for the date question
Cam seems fully charged up as the red charge light goes out though it may need a few charges before it gets to full potential. Up to now I would class the #18 as far better for sharpness and colour.
Heres a vid showing the beeping.Too much noise at first but it can be easily heard nearer the end at aroun 33 seconds

http://youtu.be/zu3AAgPyA_4
Old May 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
Quote:

Take care,
Yabba

I mentioned that I have a buddy who had a similar flying boat, well I flipped an estarter on floats and he moved in to rescue. Before I could call him off, his front mounted prop had sent little bits of foam into the breeze and across the lake. Wish I had a video...

I use a grapple made from coat hanger wire, with Styrofoam around the shaft. I can toss it over 100yd with a rod, works fine.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
GP - wow, nice car!

Yep, hear the beep, seems every second. I would ask the seller, might be inerference from the internal clock??
Old May 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
........Before I could call him off, his front mounted prop had sent little bits of foam into the breeze and across the lake. Wish I had a video...

Y.
Old May 22, 2012, 03:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:

Contact your eBay seller about firmware. The versions available here for download may still work with the newer #11. I don't have one so can't comment on this. Maybe some one who has the latest #11 camera (with the smaller 8-pin non-standard USB plug) has tried it and can comment.
Old May 23, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Thanks Tom
I did that and they ducked the question, suggesting I use VLC player which I was doing. I get the beeps on all players. The time thing isnt incredibly important as Ive got that on my #18cam now.

BTW I used to be a paraglider back in the 80's, had a nasty fold when flying from Mont Blanc and broke both legs. I lived !!
Old May 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,698 Posts
Heres some shots from my #11
I think im gonna have to jump on the #16 band wagon!

Night RC FPV FLIGHT Long range - flown with DragonLINK (7 min 2 sec)
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What does the FAA think of FPV?
Old May 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
seahorse41
Joined Jan 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Contact your eBay seller about firmware. The versions available here for download may still work with the newer #11. I don't have one so can't comment on this. Maybe some one who has the latest #11 camera (with the smaller 8-pin non-standard USB plug) has tried it and can comment.
Yes I do, and the firmware my seller sent for the new #11 is identical to the ones on page 1 for the old #11.

Quote:
Yep, hear the beep, seems every second. I would ask the seller, might be inerference from the internal clock??
The faint chirping every second seems to be normal, although it can almost disappear with a fully charged battery. If you are using an external power source, this may be of interest to any of you:
I think the audio artifacts get worse over time if the equipment is used heavily, and especially more likely when plugged into an external battery.
In my case the USB battery voltage drops not just to 4.8V for an extended period of time, as does also when plugged into computer USB power under the 400mA load, but down to 4.7V when getting empty, and this condition is apparently what is affecting my cameras (both #11 and #16).

My seller, internet-shop365, sent me this explanation:
"When plugging in an portable external battery by USB charging cable,
the buzzing/chirping sound appearing in the audio is the sound of current flows. The unstable power supply leads to this."

Stewart
seahorse41 is offline Find More Posts by seahorse41
Last edited by seahorse41; May 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: clarification
Old May 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
The suppliers (well one of them) seems to like emailing rubbish. One comment I received was. "Always sir, the first minute of video will be corrupt as the camera settles down"
I nearly fell of my chair.

The beeping I get is there on Battery power and computer power.

I ran the #11 cam in my van today for around 20 minutes on battery power, and when I got to my destination the camera was so hot you could hardly hold it.

Strangely my #18 cam is perfect, not drop outs or faults.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
The suppliers (well one of them) seems to like emailing rubbish. One comment I received was. "Always sir, the first minute of video will be corrupt as the camera settles down"
I nearly fell of my chair.
Which one? That's unacceptable. If necessary, I'll remove from the list. Can you post the email text?
Old May 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,659 Posts
I bought an AXN Cloud Fly (basically a powered glider with pusher prop) for use as an FPV platform and thought I would try it out with my #11 camera first. I wanted a view which was not obscured in any way and so just attached the camera to the nose of the plane using foam and rubber bands and (most important) a string attached tightly to the battery leads to stop the camera sliding off the front. The video was very good but I need to practise very smooth flying (and in no wind at all) before I will post anything. The motor sound is a bit irritating but the plane can glide for long distances if high enough. Aerial video sound is not that interesting anyway and is probably better replaced by music! Its a good plane and I look forward to real FPV. Takeoff and landing are by just sliding along the grass and are quite spectacular!
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old May 30, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
where can i buy the real one?
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old May 30, 2012, 02:25 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmint View Post
where can i buy the real one?
Your not going to be real popular with Tom, ISO and Prof when they read that.
Have a look a look at the name of this thread.
Then go off and read the first few posts of this thread. The answer you seek is there!!
(I Get mine mine from eletoponline...)
-B!
Old May 30, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
I just wanted to inform all, i bought another #11 cam it has this new micro usb plug and unfortunatelly a not sharp setted focus. it came with a 20min firmware without datetime stamp. i contacted the seller and ask for the latest NEW #11 Firmware with NO 20min limit. I got a FW96630A.bin = ceb85039d90d74575bdc5cd377598131 (MD5).

So you can check if this MD5 sum matches one of your firmwares if not i can submit you this firmware. He claims there is no problems saving a correct file when battery dies.
Buglat is offline Find More Posts by Buglat
Old May 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglat View Post
I just wanted to inform all, i bought another #11 cam it has this new micro usb plug and unfortunatelly a not sharp setted focus. it came with a 20min firmware without datetime stamp. i contacted the seller and ask for the latest NEW #11 Firmware with NO 20min limit. I got a FW96630A.bin = ceb85039d90d74575bdc5cd377598131 (MD5).

So you can check if this MD5 sum matches one of your firmwares if not i can submit you this firmware. He claims there is no problems saving a correct file when battery dies.
What I don't get is ...

Why buy now the #11 when #16, #18 and FullHD are out ... guess the price difference is ridiculous if not even none compared to #16

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: I'm still holding my old #11 ... not going to replace by any new one (tempted only by the Full HD, but it is much more heavier) ... but if I will have to buy now I will got for a newer model.
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old May 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,698 Posts
What is the FullHD version? I cant find any of those...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
What is the FullHD version? I cant find any of those...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566331
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old May 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Your not going to be real popular with Tom, ISO and Prof when they read that.
Have a look a look at the name of this thread.
Then go off and read the first few posts of this thread. The answer you seek is there!!
(I Get mine mine from eletoponline...)
-B!
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion .

I have quite a number of "old" #11s and I loved them in their time. It's just that I can't recommend this camera any more, except, maybe, for the price.

For me, the new 8-pin mini-USB is also a negative point, but that's just personal opinion. I know some people find them better... They are easy to break if you often have to plug and unplug in the dark or in barely accessible areas, and there are not yet any 90 plugs on the market. And of course, you will have to make your own cables or buy them from the #11 sellers because all 8-pin mini-USB cables are non-standard. Some people think they make better contact, I don't know, the "fit" does feel a bit "tighter" than the standard 5-pin plugs, but the actual pins are smaller. Most 8-pin mini-USB sockets are also gold plated - there must be a reason for that.....

I don't believe the #11 is being developed any more, hence the good price.
Last edited by Isoprop; May 30, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 04:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I don't believe the #11 is being developed any more, hence the good price.
Though I don't have positive confirmation, I think the new #11 is really the #18 circuit board with an on-board "dongle" of some sort that permits the #18 FW to recognize if it's being installed on a real #18 or the #11 (and maybe vice-versa). If the FW sees the "wrong" camera version, it will not work.

The very early #18 and #11 (with regular 5 pin mini-USB plug) were able to interchange FW. The the #11 with the 8-pin mini-USB plug appeared, also with FW interchangability. Some were buying the lower-price #11 with the intent of loading the #18 FW and then getting a video out cable so they end up with a #18 at a lower price. Some even bought a #18 and a #11, then claimed they did not get the video out cable, expecting one to be sent for free! The "dongle" was added to end the FW interchangeability. When FW could be swapped, the #18 FW in the old #11 did not have the color-hunting problem like it did with the old #11 FW. But now, I don't know and I don't have the new #11 to comment on what FW is being sent on them.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:33 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Soft field landing

My number 11 "hat cam" strikes again. This time recording my first tail dragger landing on a grass runway.

Kentmorr landing (2 min 59 sec)
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:27 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post
My number 11 "hat cam" strikes again. This time recording my first tail dragger landing on a grass runway.

https://vimeo.com/42862950
Lovely. That must be a real buzz!
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
great vid Tony! Way back when (100 years ago) when I first learned to fly all my runways were of pasture/grass type. Once I started landing on a paved runways I was in hog heaven and didn't know how to act lol.

Question for the gang on the #11. Will the iPhone care charger with the usb slot work for powering/charging the #11? I don't see much difference in that and plugging it into the computer. Just checking..... thanks...... Tony
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:40 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
I use an iPad charger, with USB connector, my phone is a Droid, and its charger works fine too!
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,698 Posts
I made a USB to servo lead cable and run mine off the Reciever. Hasn't failed me yet!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Thanks guys. I really see no difference. Should work fine in the car with the iPhone (lighter/accessory) plug with the USB plug that came with the cam. The cam like anything will only draw what it needs. Just checking. I like the USB to servo lead cable. Cool idea.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,698 Posts
Ya, I got tired of great flights that only recorded the launch and then died... So now it stays going as long as the plane does!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
64 Posts
Editing with Avidemux

Hi everyone,

I am using Avidemux 2.5 (on Windows 7) to edit my videos from #11 (but also #16 and #18). The editing I need is very simple: delete the unwanted parts and save the result.
I noticed that when I remove a segment in the middle, the resulting video has some strange frames at the point where I removed the segment. For example some frames could be noisy or the video freezes for a while and then continues.
How can I avoid that?

Is there a way to insert transitions with avidemux?

Ginetto
ginetto is offline Find More Posts by ginetto
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto View Post
Hi everyone,

I am using Avidemux 2.5 (on Windows 7) to edit my videos from #11 (but also #16 and #18). The editing I need is very simple: delete the unwanted parts and save the result.
I noticed that when I remove a segment in the middle, the resulting video has some strange frames at the point where I removed the segment. For example some frames could be noisy or the video freezes for a while and then continues.
How can I avoid that?

Is there a way to insert transitions with avidemux?

Ginetto
Avidemux doesn't have fancy transitions, but you can prevent the "broken" frames at the cut points by always making the cut a an Intra ("I") frame. If you don't want the full description of why this happens, just jump to the last paragraph!

An "I" frame is a complete picture, used as a reference for all incomplete Predicted ("P") frames that follow it. The partial frames only save the difference from the prior frame, and that's how the video H.264 codec gets such a big compression of the native video. The process repeats every 15 frames when a new "I" frame is created, so if you cut at a point between I frames, the inital "P" frames lose their point of reference from the preceding frames back to the prior "I" frame. The result is broken corrupted frames get displayed until the next "I" frame occurs. If you always make the cut at an "I" frame, you will always have the complete references for all the displayed frames, and video will start and play without the corruption at the cut points.

So how do you find the I frames? When you boot AviDemux and open the camera videos, you get the alert saying "H.264 detected" and a bunch of verbage about "B" frames. Always click on the "no" button because the cameras do not use "b" frames.

Now look in the bottom of the AviDemux window and you'll see an entry called "Frame Type:". It will normally start showing I (00), meaning it's on an I frame. Now tap the "right arrow" key and you'll see the "I" changes to a "P", meaning you are on a partial "P" frame. Keep tapping on the right arrow keyy and the frame advances one frame at a time until you hit the next "I" frame at frame #15 (shown in the "Frame:" number box in the lower left corner of the window). So always make your cut where you see you are on an "I frame".

But stepping through one frame at a time is too tedious. You can use the "up arrow" and "down arrow" keys to jump to the next or previous "I" frame!

So, to make a long story very short, stop your video near where you want to make a cut, then use the up and down arrow keys to find the best "I" frame point to make the cut, then set one end marker there. Do the same for your other end of the cut, then hit the "delete" key and you're done.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Avidemux doesn't have fancy transitions, but you can prevent the "broken" frames at the cut points by always making the cut a an Intra ("I") frame. If you don't want the full description of why this happens, just jump to the last paragraph!
So there is a reason... Good!
Thanks for the perfect explanation!
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:23 AM
The Best Laid Plans..........
Australia, VIC, Wangaratta South
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
#11 cameras rule. mine went in to a dam on a flying wing. Dried it out and all is good.
kilnj69 is offline Find More Posts by kilnj69
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Avidemux doesn't have fancy transitions...
I need a very simple editing: cut and past clips and sometimes I need to slow down the video. That is all, and Avidemux is perfect. It is simple and support the videos from the key chains.
Anyway adding fancy transitions could really improve my edited videos... Any simple program I can use instead of Avidemux?

I tried windows movie maker, adobe elements... but I had some problems editing the clips from the key chains.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:14 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto View Post
I need a very simple editing: cut and past clips and sometimes I need to slow down the video. That is all, and Avidemux is perfect. It is simple and support the videos from the key chains.
Anyway adding fancy transitions could really improve my edited videos... Any simple program I can use instead of Avidemux?

I tried windows movie maker, adobe elements... but I had some problems editing the clips from the key chains.
WMM for XP can do it if you add the codecs and convert to AVI. WMM for Vista (the best version ever!) can do it if you add the codecs. WLMM (with W7) can do it right out of the box (but it's lost many of the nice editing ability that the Vist version had.. There's another option or two. Read the editing post for more details (Post #4).
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 02, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Jun 2011
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coursemyhorse View Post
Hi guys, I have a problem with my original #11 I have been using. I decided to modify the housing slightly and since I did this I get the low battery type loud buzzing ALL THE TIME, despite having a fully charged battery. Any ideas?

I must say there is something you should know that might affect it. When I came to solder on new wires for a new larger capacity internal battery, I accidentally soldered off the entire original solder pool for the battery wire terminations. They just ripped fully off the PCB taking some of the PCB with it. They are now pretty much unusable so I have done away with an internal battery all together and there is nothing connceted to those terminals now at all. So the cam gets all its power via the USB connection using a "special" type cable I linked up to an external 1020mah Lith ion cell (with built in protection circuit of its own). This battery is same spec as the original Lipo really and is fully charged.

I should make clear that sound still works ok just with the buzz over the top all the time loudly making it hard to hear.

Would anything I have done affect getting this buzzing sound all the time? Is there anything I can do?

Thankyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorg View Post
I had the same problem some days ago. I have resoldered the cmos and microphone and managed to fix it.
Not sure if it will work also for you. Try microphone resoldering first as cmos module is a lot more tricky.

Battery's negative wire could be soldered to the usb outer metal casing. But right now I can't remember which component it's easy accessible and directly connected to the positive pin, as I don't have any teared apart camera at the moment.
Quote:
Thankyou for your reply. When you say "resolder the cmos" do you mean to resolder the entire ribbon cable (that attaches to the camera lens) back to the PCB? Surely if this was damaged or a problem, then this would affect the video recording and picture more substantially than just sound problems? I only get the buzz and picture is ok. Actually, every second the buzz comes there is like an interferance line accross the video as well.

I will have a look inside mine tonight and see how easy it is to resolder the microphone.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorg View Post
yes exactly. Try to move the ribbon cable, bend the microphone a little or touch some random components while recording to see if something change in the video.
Mine behavior was exactly as you described.. continuous buzz with synchronized video artifact at low voltage.
I cannot be sure of which part caused the issue..but it worked.

You can find a video tutorial on my blog for resoldering the cmos, but I warn you, it's a delicate procedure and it will be sad if it ends like the battery tabs

Hi all, I just got my keycam back out to try to get it back working and I still face the above issues. So basically, the cam works 100% and takes a video with sound, but I get the low battery/interferance type artifacts and noise during the whole recording.
I took it apart and fiddled with the mic, the cmos, camera, other areas of PCB during recording and nothing made a difference to the noise/artifacts. The CMOS module soldering connections all look ok to me and not damaged. I have never touched anything around there. I am not sure what to do. The battery I am using is 100% charged.

As I said above the other symptoms are that I do not get a yellow LED anymore at all, only a red one and it seems to flash very randomly. I am concerned that during my desoldering of the internal battery terminals (to remove internal battery) I have damaged something, or is this unlikely? Is it because I am now using a battery plugged in via USB only without an internal one present? Would this cause the issue? Do I need to do any other soldering to close up a connection it is expecting or anything like that from the non present internal?

I don't suppose the ebay seller would refund me given I modded the board by removing internal battery?

Advice much appreciated.

Thankyou
coursemyhorse is offline Find More Posts by coursemyhorse
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Jun 2011
58 Posts
Here is a very short example video as I mentioned above. Do not worry about the poor focus/sharpness, I can fix that as I just must have knocked the lens and twisted it slightly. This is to show the noise and artifacts/interferance.

PTDC0007.MOV (0 min 9 sec)
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:38 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
I don't suppose the ebay seller would refund me given I modded the board by removing internal battery?

Advice much appreciated.

Thankyou
Who knows what damage you might have done. The seller is not going to refund or replace a camera that has been user modified or damaged (would you if you were the seller?)!

Sorry, but the camera is likely going to remain as it is. Better versions are now available (#16 & #18) if you buy a new one.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 06, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
58 Posts
Sure. Does a keychain camera such as the #11,#16,#18 exist yet which comes out of the box with a wide angle lens / wide field of view and which can record for 2-3 hours whilst still remaining small ish?
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Sure. Does a keychain camera such as the #11,#16,#18 exist yet which comes out of the box with a wide angle lens / wide field of view and which can record for 2-3 hours whilst still remaining small ish?
Not yet on the wide angle lens option.... but very soon, I think. But 2-3 hours recording time will require a battery with about 2-3 times the capacity, so not so smallish anymore, certainly not in the "keychain" size category. Don't hold your breath on that part. It's pretty much physically impossible unless a new HD video processing IC with MUCH less power requirements suddenly appears at a low price.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Real #11 cam??

I just ordered two supposedly #11 cams from a recommended seller on ebay. I've ordered a #16 from them before with no problems.

Now I get these #11 cams and the don't look like the ones I've seen in this forum.

Is this a new version of the #11, or is it the #16? I would like to know which firmware upgrades I can use with it.

Thanks!

PS... the one difference I have noticed so far is that the #16 would have corrupted images when going from exposure extremes (bright light to dark). These "#11" cams I received don't have that problem. Also, they do save in mov format.
Spectre55x is offline Find More Posts by Spectre55x
Last edited by Spectre55x; Jun 06, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre55x View Post
I just ordered two supposedly #11 cams from a recommended seller on ebay. I've ordered a #16 from them before with no problems.

Now I get these #11 cams and the don't look like the ones I've seen in this forum.

Is this a new version of the #11, or is it the #16? I would like to know which firmware upgrades I can use with it.

Thanks!

PS... the one difference I have noticed so far is that the #16 would have corrupted images when going from exposure extremes (bright light to dark). These "#11" cams I received don't have that problem. Also, they do save in mov format.
The #16 doesn't have the exposure change file corruption problem. The #18 (an advanced #11 with video out function) DID have this bug, but new firmware released a couple days ago fixes this problem. Both the #11 and #18 have essentially the same circuit board, and both have a new proprietary 8 pin mini-USB plug. I can see your circuit board has that plug, so it's definitely not a #16. Only two eBay vendors sell the #16 (see the #16 dedicated forum for their links).

So you have either a #18 or a #11. If the former, you should have received a cable with composite video and audio RCA phone plugs on one end and the 8 pin USB plug on the other end for the composite video out function. If you did not get that cable, it's pretty safe to assume you got the new #11. It should NOT show that awful "color-shifting" the old version did when the light level changed, such as with the scene having the horizon go up and down across the center of the frame.

I should mention I don't have the new #11 can't support it in this thread any more. The firmware posted here for download is likely not the latest, so I don't know if the firmware will work in it or not, and even if it does, it is likely to have the old color-shifting problem. I noted this in the FW download page (linked in the FAQs post #3 which I assume you checked)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 06, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Thanks Tom. Now that I've checked my orders, I was comparing it to the #18 (improved #11). I guess the new ones are the new #11s. That's fine with me. The video seems solid compared to the #18. Thanks for clearing that up! And yes, I did read the first posts. I was just curious if something new had popped up in the past few weeks.
Spectre55x is offline Find More Posts by Spectre55x
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:18 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,659 Posts
I just bought a new x0.67 wide angle / macro lens from this supplier who is not listed in the beginning posts, for $6 shipped anywhere. The lens is glass, has a good image quality and comes with an extra set of metal rings so it can be used on more than one keychain camera or mobile phone. The metal ring is simply epoxied to the front of the keychain camera and the lens can be added or removed easily. I have CA'd a thread to the W/A lens to attach it to the LiPo leads, and the camera itself is similarly attached.

I have mounted the combo so far right at the nose of an AXN Clouds Fly so I don't get any nose of the aircraft in the shot, but will mount it on other aircraft and quadcopters in the future, together with FPV gear.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
502 Posts
dominance dance HD720p

Quote:
Sounds like some interesting video if you can capture it. Please post links here if you get some good encounters.
This one had great promise but the lift drifted too far downwind and I had to leave before the serious dancing began. But you can see the one leading me do a dominance circle as it becomes apparent I am leaving, about 1minute 20 sec into the video. I had 2 on-board cams but the the flying patterns could not be seen in them. Thanks again for these great threads and what they contribute to the progress of the #11 and #16 etc.

Allegro lite soars with vulture (2 min 21 sec)
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Last edited by Wid; Jun 09, 2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Oops. Aimed for #16 thread.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:09 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
This one had great promise but the lift drifted too far downwind and I had to leave before the serious dancing began. But you can see the one leading me do a dominance circle as it becomes apparent I am leaving, about 1minute 20 sec into the video. I had 2 on-board cams but the the flying patterns could not be seen in them. Thanks again for these great threads and what they contribute to the progress of the #11 and #16 etc.
Nice one, thanks, brought back old memories of an adult seagull that tucked itself under the leading edge of my Olympia, stared me in the face before sliding out and disappearing up, with a look of disdain on its face.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:15 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,397 Posts
Hi all, my trusty #11 cam is turning off after about 3 min in the air, it starts back up again next flight and again about 3 min in it shuts down, did 3 flights like this yesterday and lost all the action i thought i was filming. Is it just the battery getting old? it never seems to take long to charge and as said lights up and works for about 3 min for a few flights?

ordering a new #16 this week and if it is the battery i'll buy a new one while i'm ordering

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Hi all, my trusty #11 cam is turning off after about 3 min in the air, it starts back up again next flight and again about 3 min in it shuts down, did 3 flights like this yesterday and lost all the action i thought i was filming. Is it just the battery getting old? it never seems to take long to charge and as said lights up and works for about 3 min for a few flights?

ordering a new #16 this week and if it is the battery i'll buy a new one while i'm ordering

cheers chuck
Yep, toss in a new battery. I (and many others) have had this problem and it is simply that the battery can no longer hold it's charge. I have two of the very first #11's and both batteries crapped within a couple of weeks of weeks of each other. Bought 2 new batteries, cut the old leads and spliced on the new batteries and problem was solved.

Yabba
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
What's the charging power via USB or wall plug? Want to get a cigarette liter USB jack if I can. Been using my 5 watt iPod ac to dc converter to charge it as the straight USB port is too slow.......
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
What's the charging power via USB or wall plug? Want to get a cigarette liter USB jack if I can. Been using my 5 watt iPod ac to dc converter to charge it as the straight USB port is too slow.......
The minimum spec for USB is 500ma. Your ipod charger puts out 5w at 5v, or 1000ma. Should be ok and get max charge in 30min or less.

Here's one from Saturday, still going fine

e-Starter @ TT (2 min 43 sec)

Speaking of ipod

I was in Starbucks recently when I suddenly realized I desperately needed to fart. The music was really loud so I timed my fart with the beat of the music. After a couple of songs I started to feel better. I finished my coffee and noticed that everyone was staring at me… And suddenly I remembered - I was listening to my iPod …and how was your day?
Last edited by victapilot; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,397 Posts
thanks guys ordering a #16 and a new battery for the #11

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Hi, I ordered a #11 yesterday. I've tried to figure out how long does it take to charge it with the charging cable provided? Is there a way to speed up the charging process by purchasing a more powerful charger?
EsKeel is offline Find More Posts by EsKeel
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:43 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
No, a more powerful (more ma capacity) will not be faster. See post #3.

I charge mine in my car with the cigarette plug charger, 15-30min.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Victa, where did you get that cigarette plug charger????
-Dave
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
64 Posts
Video player on Android

Hi everyone,

do you know a good player on android that supports the tapes from the keychain (I'm using #11, #16 and #18)?

Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:05 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Victa, where did you get that cigarette plug charger????
-Dave
It came with the camera. I have used a car phone charger and gps charger also.

@ginetto, MX player works on my phone.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Hey guys,

I've got a small problem and after weeks of trying to eliminate it I'm still facing the same problem.

I've got a Keycam 808 #11 some month ago, the USB Car charger was included.

At the moment I use the "recover time 70"-firmware I got here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3531

However, the S/S/C feature doesn't work.

That's how I use the camera:
I put it in my car and start recording. When the recording started, I put in the mini-USB-cable with the car charger, both came with the camera.
After exactly 70 minutes (the charger is still enabled) the record stops. I have to disengage the charger to make a new recording start.

In the past I tried also the 20min SSC and the 50min SSC firmware, both had the same problems.

I also tried to use another SD-Card, didn't work either.

What shall I do? Is the USB-cable corrupt? Or the camera itself? How to fix?

I use it as car cam so it's very uncomfortable to check every now and then if the camera works...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Luzertof
Luzertof is offline Find More Posts by Luzertof
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:43 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Hi, guys

I receive my 808 keycam yesterday, and i have a big problem.

I was test they mode of my cam, and block it.

Now i can't connect my cam with usb, (the light is red) i can't access of the card. The cam can't turn on.

sorry for my english
jarno44 is offline Find More Posts by jarno44
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Nov 2003
217 Posts
OK guys I never had a key-chain camera, I would like to get one. What's the latest and greatest with a good video. And a link to your favorite seller If you don't mind. Thanks for your time, Jay
pecor is offline Find More Posts by pecor
Closed Thread