Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:46 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docinfrance View Post
Thanks Tom
I was kind of hoping the long ribbon would turn over as my laptop takes an age to convert video or. If I were to try and invert it too I'd end up leaving it running overnight (if it didn't crash).
Think I'll look for a less memory hungry app.
What I've been doing is mounting the #11 on top of my quad, but I want to mount it underneath, which presents the problem of accessing the buttons on the camera on a low profile quad.

I could never get my #11 to trigger video when it got sound input like I could with my old stick cam.

I might go #1080 now as I've played with video and want to try HD stills now.
Did you know the #16 can invert the image with a simple user toggle in the config file (no firmware swap need to implement the toggle... just edit a text file and load it in.

For the #18 link, just click on the "aerial photography" link in the header bar of this thread. That will back up to the Forum level, and you can simply scan down the list of threads until you see the #18 thread. It's usually on the first or second page.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
Silicon/poker/chocolate chips
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2008
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
For the #18 link, just click on the "aerial photography" link in the header bar of this thread. That will back up to the Forum level, and you can simply scan down the list of threads until you see the #18 thread. It's usually on the first or second page.
Is the thread title for the #18 this: "New FULL HD 1080p "Key Chain" Camera "

I was looking for "#18" in the title.
Chip Geek is offline Find More Posts by Chip Geek
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Geek View Post
Is the thread title for the #18 this: "New FULL HD 1080p "Key Chain" Camera "

I was looking for "#18" in the title.
Well, my apologies... that's not the thread, I can't find it either, and I thought I started it! I guess I must have done it in a dream... a sure sign these camera threads take up way too much of my time!. But I'm in the middle of testing the camera . I'll post a note in this thread as well as the ones for the #16 and #1080 announcing it.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
A short #11 video. Just my drive home form work. Not AP, sorry. Still learning how to crash helicopters at the moment.

Short Way Home (2 min 41 sec)
MikeWarren is offline Find More Posts by MikeWarren
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:45 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
588 Posts
[joke] Another reason to use a camera as Car DVR.
You can forget where you live if driving home is soooo complicated. Just watch the record when you go home.
Or you can use some GPS Navigation, you know that, but with some crossroads like that you can easy be lost so is better a video. [/joke]

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is online now Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:50 AM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Did you know the #16 can invert the image with a simple user toggle in the config file (no firmware swap need to implement the toggle... just edit a text file and load it in.

Thanks again Tom. Don't worry about the dreams, they'll go away just as soon as give up flying .

I guess I'd be interested to know if (most of) the config files for the #16 will work with the #18? Having only had the #11 I never downloaded the GUI for the #16.

I'm quite tempted by the #16 except all the listings I find show it with the old (knobbly) lens type.
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:06 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
FYI Chuck Lohr's #18 link: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C18/ As was stated before, iIt appears to be an improved #11 camera.

@ Tom
No need to apologize. You have provided great info for us all with these keyfob cams and your threads. In 5 years we will probably be on a #99, but only if you can continue to keep up with them...
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Thanks again Tom. Don't worry about the dreams, they'll go away just as soon as give up flying .

I guess I'd be interested to know if (most of) the config files for the #16 will work with the #18? Having only had the #11 I never downloaded the GUI for the #16.

I'm quite tempted by the #16 except all the listings I find show it with the old (knobbly) lens type.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:24 AM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
FYI Chuck Lohr's #18 link: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C18/ As was stated before, it appears to be an improved #11 camera.
As I understand it, the #16 is not made by the same manufacturer as makes the #11.
So the self proclaimed #18 as an update of the #11 (#11A? Being as #18 is not a Chuck Lohr designation) probably belongs in this thread.
This being the case just what are the updates?
In what way do they make the #11Mk2 (MkII)(a)(#18) a real improvement over the #11(HW and FW)?, and also relevant is how does this improved(?) #11 now compare to the #16?
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:

I'll be starting a #18 thread probably this afternoon. Neither the #11 nor the #18 can load the #16 config files... special firmware is needed for that, and neither can load and run the #16 firmware. BUT, the #11 can install the #18 firmware with a boot loader update. You won't get the AV out from the #11, but you will get the new color stability (a double edge sword) and MAYBE the loop recording. To change any feature on the #11 or #18, you need to flash in new firmware. That's one of the big advantages of the #16... functions can be made by editing a text file (either manually or with the GUI program by Isoprop), and letting the camera read the text file to set it's internal function keys.

Don't pay much attention to the #16 ad pictures... I don't think they keep the pages up to date. According to the developer, the cameras have been fitted with the newer lens since the end of Jan.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
As I understand it, the #16 is not made by the same manufacturer as makes the #11.
So the self proclaimed #18 as an update of the #11 (#11A? Being as #18 is not a Chuck Lohr designation) probably belongs in this thread.
This being the case just what are the updates?
In what way do they make the #11Mk2 (MkII)(a)(#18) a real improvement over the #11(HW and FW)?, and also relevant is how does this improved(?) #11 now compare to the #16?
I'll be starting a new thread just for the #18, probably this afternoon. There are enough differences that will generate a lot of discussion unique to the #18, i.e. the AV out function, which will spawn a LOT of discussion from the FPV RC plane crowd here.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
The lack of visible indication that the #11 camera is recording puts me off it.
The image sizes are the same as the #16, which tells me when it's doing something. So it's advantage, #16.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:43 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
I dont see any difference in video between the #16 and the #18..both have a configuration script and the recording light and time can be turned on or off if thats what people want...the #18 has the AV out which will be a bigger advantage over the #16...not just for fpv but just to watch videos directly from cam to big screen tv...its in AVI format and looks to have the wide angle lenz...mine should arrive tomarrow so I will post my findings when it arrives...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster View Post
I dont see any difference in video between the #16 and the #18..both have a configuration script and the recording light and time can be turned on or off if thats what people want...the #18 has the AV out which will be a bigger advantage over the #16...not just for fpv but just to watch videos directly from cam to big screen tv...its in AVI format and looks to have the wide angle lenz...mine should arrive tomarrow so I will post my findings when it arrives...
You've got some bad information from somewhere. I have #16 and #18. The #18 does NOT have a configuration script file... you have to flash in different firmware just to turn on/off the data stamp and recording indicator. The #18 has a narrower AOV than the #16, and not nearly as sharp as my #16, but that could be a focusing issue. I suggest people go to the #18 thread now getting populated in the AP Forum for more discussion.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
You've got some bad information from somewhere. I have #16 and #18. The #18 does NOT have a configuration script file... you have to flash in different firmware just to turn on/off the data stamp and recording indicator. The #18 has a narrower AOV than the #16, and not nearly as sharp as my #16, but that could be a focusing issue. I suggest people go to the #18 thread now getting populated in the AP Forum for more discussion.
To save you searching, here's the link.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:34 AM
Nederland, NB, Made
Joined Jan 2008
63 Posts
I think I have a number 11 cam, but not 100% sure.

It displays the date/time in te lower right corner. It makes files which are 1280x720 30fps and the audio is 512.

Can anyone try to help me I ve tried about 30 different ways of getting the right date time in the thing, but I did not have suc6.

I have changed dat/time with other 808 cams, but with this one it's just not working.

somtimes the file i make is gone, but date/time are still on 2010-01-01

I used a file timeset.txt with different formats of putting time and date, but nothing....

What did I miss ???
TT-Raptor is offline Find More Posts by TT-Raptor
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:54 AM
Nederland, NB, Made
Joined Jan 2008
63 Posts
Finally I got it to work.

Use the little file Nr11 Timeset. This program makes te file for you and puts it on the SD.

What I did next was pushing the reset button on the camera, than turned it on again, and made a movie.......and taadaaaaaa it had the correct time and date.

The file looked exactly the same as the files I had made, so I think this pushing the reset button was the trick that got it working......
TT-Raptor is offline Find More Posts by TT-Raptor
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:48 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
According to the developer, the cameras have been fitted with the newer lens since the end of Jan.
Cheers mate.
That's a useful bit of info to know.
I guess that the supplier listed in the #16 thread has such a turnover that he will be selling the latest model
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:01 AM
Michele Ardito
Italia, Puglia, Massafra
Joined Jan 2012
69 Posts
subscribed...

but I have an issue with my #11 cam.

It seems to be dead, if I plug USB connetor to pc the red led lights up to indicate charging but the cam seems to be dead because I can not access memory via USB. If I try to turn it on (connected or not to USB cable) it don't turns on (with or without memory card). I tryed to reset it via reset mini button and I changed the internal battery with new one but without having success...
Could someone help me please?
Magnetron1 is offline Find More Posts by Magnetron1
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:30 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,284 Posts
A short video of one of our junior club members showing off. He was getting some practice in before the public arrived at the SWMEE on 1st April.
Tim "One Wing" flying his beat up shockie at the 2012 SWMEE indoor hall (1 min 5 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:07 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Can't view videos!?

I just got a #11 808 cam. When I plug it in to my iMac, iPhoto opens up. iPhoto won't support AVI, so I can't view it. I also downloaded Avidemux, but I can't figure out how to open the videos in Avidemux either. Can somebody help me out here? Thanks!
jethack356 is offline Find More Posts by jethack356
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:26 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethack356 View Post
I just got a #11 808 cam. When I plug it in to my iMac, iPhoto opens up. iPhoto won't support AVI, so I can't view it. I also downloaded Avidemux, but I can't figure out how to open the videos in Avidemux either. Can somebody help me out here? Thanks!
Not an Apple person, so someone else will help you with that, but Avidemux is no different than you would open a file in just about any program (at least on Windows PCs). Click on "File" menu, then select "open" and browse to the location of the video on your PC. I'm assuming the Mac version of Avidemux has menus like this. If not, again I can't help you, but I'd think what ever it has would be typical for opening files on a Mac. The Windows version will also open a file by simply dragging and dropping the video file icon on the AviDemux window.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:30 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
#11 issue - Solid red and yellow leds on connecting to USB - unplugged from USB they both stay on until the battery dies - not possible to enter any mode other than mass storage. If an attempt is made to turn the camera off, the yellow LED extinguishes but then illuminates again after a few seconds.
Both the SOC and RAM IC's run very warm to the touch - more than 'normal'
I suspect that a LDO regulator is bad somewhere - all the S4 1N5819 diodes check out OK. The CMOS module was replaced with new to no avail.

Ascertained that the 2YL6 / 1N4054 was short circuit CHG-BATT causing the red led to remain on. Removed the 2YL6 LiPo charge controller and no red LED blazing away.

Tried reflashing the eprom with a new copy of the bootloader (swapping over the 10k programming resistors etc), but impossible to tell whether it has worked or not. Loading new firmware didn't make a jot of difference.

This is really Isoprop's territory. A long shot, but any ideas ?

Many thanks, Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
#11 issue - Solid red and yellow leds on connecting to USB - unplugged from USB they both stay on until the battery dies - not possible to enter any mode other than mass storage. If an attempt is made to turn the camera off, the yellow LED extinguishes but then illuminates again after a few seconds.
I suspect that a LDO regulator is bad somewhere - all the S4 1N5819 diodes check out OK. The CMOS module was replaced with new to no avail.

Ascertained that the 2YL6 / 1N4054 was short circuit CHG-BATT causing the red led to remain on. Removed the 2YL6 LiPo charge controller and no red LED blazing away.

Tried reflashing the eprom with a new copy of the bootloader (swapping over the 10k programming resistors etc), but impossible to tell whether it has worked or not. Loading new firmware didn't make a jot of difference.

Many thanks, Richard
Hi Richard,

I often try to resurrect seemingly dead cameras, but you've gone above and beyond the call of duty with more knowledge of electronics than I have!

I used to have a "nothing mechanical shall defy me" mentality, but after many years trying to fix the unfixable, I now factor economics and my time into the equation! At some point, it's easier to throw in the towel and get a new one. Better yet, forget the #11 and get the much more versatile #16 for the same price!

But maybe you've got the time and still enjoy solving difficult puzzles... good for the keeping the brain synapses sparking! Wish I could help... good luck!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 10, 2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: delete incorrect price (was for a #3, not #11!)
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:14 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tom - I'm close to giving up on it now. Shame, because the original problem was just a damaged ribbon cable on the original CMOS sensor.
Now have an 'eternaly blinking' yellow LED just to add further confusion to the mix. This is despite having a good micro SD card inserted, so the plot thickens...
Yes, have a #16, amongst others. Which reminds me - must get back on the #16 thread with another frankencam mod lol

Cheers, Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:31 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Thanks. I opened it by dragging it in. However, I get video, but no audio. Any Ideas?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
647 Posts
Quote:
Hi Richard,
snip...

I used to have a "nothing mechanical shall defy me" mentality, but after many years trying to fix the unfixable, I now factor economics and my time into the equation! At some point, it's easier to throw in the towel and get a new one for $8 shipped. Better yet, forget the #11 and get the much more versatile #16 for the same price!

...snip
Where can I get a #11 for $8 please. I can't find any at that price.
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I opened it by dragging it in. However, I get video, but no audio. Any Ideas?
If you are referring to audio while playing the video within the editor, it could be the audio codec missing? The Mac version and Windows version are not identical in every way. The Windows version plays the audio fine in the editor, but when outputting, the native audio codec is not compatible with some of the file formats and will give a warning. In those case I re-encode the audio using the more popular MP3 codec with no problems playing the edited video.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
Where can I get a #11 for $8 please. I can't find any at that price.
Argh! Sorry my mistake... I was in a hurry and flashed back to the #3 camera days. Yeah, the #11 are closer to $40 like the #16, but still the #16 is a much more versatile camera for the same price.

I removed the price reference from my prior post so as not to get anyone else excited.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post

Many thanks, Richard
I wish I could help, but I'm sure you've already tried everything that a normal person would try!

I find these cameras extremely hard to destroy, except for the CMOS ribbon cable which is more than fragile and has been the sole cause of all my problems.

I know you are good at soldering and electronics, so there's no point in me saying you've goofed up somewhere .

One test that I found very useful is to put the timeset file (can't remember the name offhand) onto the card and start the camera. If it disappeared after power-on the firmware is running correctly.

I also ran my camera without the CMOS module attached, just to see what it did. It did nothing spectacular! When I soldered the CMOS cable back on, I had a bit of trouble getting the firmware to run normally with one of my cameras, but a few presses of the reset button at the right time solved this issue.

I don't know if you have a programmer, but it is MUCH easier to remove the SPI for reprogramming. I can barely see those programming resistors. If you have a hot-air soldering station, removing the SPI is a piece of cake. Otherwise it's also dead easy, but a bit messy, with Chip Quik and a very, very low temperature iron. As you know, with normal solder it's all too easy to lift a track.

Anyway, I'm sure you've already tried all of these suggestions and unless you've done something silly, like shorting a component or connecting the battery the wrong way around like one reader once did, I would still think the CMOS cable is the culprit. I can tell you that I handled my cameras extremely roughly, and I always got them running again. Oh yes, I also tried using them in the freezer (not the battery) and freeze spray (which makes a foul mess!).

I did get all kinds of strange LED combinations, or none at all, and very erratic. But I never let the battery completely drain.

I take it you also use an external plug for the battery for testing. I used an extension from the board using the same plug and socket as the #16.

Maybe if you read this, one point or the other may inspire you to try again .

Like you, I hate discarding a device that may be possible to fix... I wouldn't quite give up yet...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:50 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Yes, I'm referring to playing the video within the editor. The video is fine, but not audio. I also can't figure out how to save the video, or change the video to another format. I've tried clicking on all of those options in video, audio, and format and it doesn't seem to do anything.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'm referring to playing the video within the editor. The video is fine, but not audio. I also can't figure out how to save the video, or change the video to another format. I've tried clicking on all of those options in video, audio, and format and it doesn't seem to do anything.
I can't really support Mac issues... I'm a Windows guy. You should get better help by going to the home page of AviDemux and contact help/support there.

Or maybe there's a Mac person here who can help. If so, please continue the discussion via PM.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Hi all i am reading all 808 threads you have (#3,#11,#16) long time ago and always must admit nice work you do guys . Today i seem to have bricked my beloved #11 cam. I do have my daily work bag i put everything inside there like my bread and and some tea i drink at work, and in this bag also the #11 was. unfortunatelly the tea was not well closed and got inside the bag. it seems the #11 got wet. not as wet like swimming in tea but it got wet just a little.. i leave it alone and tried to start it after 3 hours. it seems to be dead is there anything i can do to reactivate it? or is it dead? is it worth buying a #11 again or should i go #16? my friend did got very good experience with the new Jumbo Key cam with 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps. nice sharp smooth quality.
Buglat is offline Find More Posts by Buglat
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:34 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
588 Posts
You forgot the #18. But I think the best choice is #16 and you have comparisons made by the great Tom in the #18 thread.

enjoy,
Mtz
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Right i forgot the 18,

but what now? Should i go for a 18 or 16? or buy another 11? I was satisfied with my #11. How to find out if it is bricked forever? I mean it only got a "little" wet today
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglat View Post
Right i forgot the 18,

but what now? Should i go for a 18 or 16? or buy another 11? I was satisfied with my #11. How to find out if it is bricked forever? I mean it only got a "little" wet today
The "little" wet may have already shorted something, but all the same I would open the case, disconnect the battery, remove the board.
If you can't solder, then cut the red battery wire and on reassembly connect the two leads together and insulate the connection with electrical tape.
Put the board in a saucer or large cup or similar and cover the board, but not the lens or battery, with 99% alcohol for about an hour to remove the tea and absorb the water. Remove the board and let it dry overnight.
Replace the board and battery and test. With a bit of luck it will work again.

Forget the #18! The only thing it has is problems . Until new firmware is developed, it is a total waste of money and you won't be happy with it.

The #16 is the only camera worth buying, IMO. The #11 has reached it's end of life.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Hi all i am reading all 808 threads...
is it worth buying a #11 again or should i go #16? my friend did got very good experience with the new Jumbo Key cam with 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps. nice sharp smooth quality.
If you have been reading the threads, it should be very clear the problems that currently exist with the #18 AND the #1080 (it has it's own thread in this forum... look for it if you have done so yet). I'm surprised your friend finds it has "smooth quality". It is sharp if the lens is well focused, but videos have MAJOR problems with the compression making the sharpness pulsate and appear to go in and out of focus (it's not a lens problem). There are video samples in the thread showing this as well as video samples in the #18 thread showing it corrupts files when pointed at the sky.

It should be VERY easy for you to make up your mind on what to buy, including the #16 over the #11 if you just absorb the information in the threads.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 12, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I like the colors in the #11 video better than #16, blue sky fades to gray, overall cool and flat. The lens supplied with #11 is marginal, at least for mine. Had vignetting, no longer a problem with HK wing lens. Too bad the developers can't locate a decent 120deg lens as aftermarket upgrade. Could sell if below $20.

This is #11 with HK lens. Some color hunting near the end but ok for what I need.

e-Starter at TT (3 min 5 sec)
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Thanks. I got it up and running. I just kept clicking on stuff 'til it worked.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
I just got my #11 cam and the videos start off looking like the photo in the first image. Then after a couple of minutes the videos go to looking the photo in the second image and remain like that for the rest of the video. Also at the same time the video quality goes bad, the audio does also. I've taken 4 videos now and 3 of the 4 are like this. the other is OK. Any ides what might cause this?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
I just got my #11 cam and the videos start off looking like the photo in the first image. Then after a couple of minutes the videos go to looking the photo in the second image and remain like that for the rest of the video. Also at the same time the video quality goes bad, the audio does also. I've taken 4 videos now and 3 of the 4 are like this. the other is OK. Any ides what might cause this?
Please give make, size & speed of your SD card to help diagnostics. Also read the first 5 posts in this thread, which have a wealth of self help, and are kept upto date.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Thanks for the response. My SD card is a SanDisk 8GB Class 4 microSD.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response. My SD card is a SanDisk 8GB Class 4 microSD.
Before suspecting the camera, can you guarantee that the problem is not related to an under powered Mac or playback software?
I see you are using Avidemux, but I have never tried the Mac version, and I have only about a week of Mac knowledge. Also, did you first copy the file to your Mac? If you play it directly from the card, the Mac may have problems with the USB speed. As you know, the Mac was forced to support USB - it is not their product .

Please try another player, like VLC, or even better try and play the video on a PC. That way we can rule out the computer as being the problem.

The Sandisk card you are using is perfect, so that is definitely not the problem unless it is defective, which is very doubtful.
Last edited by Isoprop; Apr 13, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:10 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Another test is upload to YouTube and see how it plays. If it still has the problem its a camera issue.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
I downloaded VLC and I don't get any video. However I do get audio, and the audio is the same as when I am using Avidemux. The audio starts off fine, then gets bad in a couple of minutes. I also copied the video to the Mac with the same results in both Avidemux and VLC. Like I say, I've had a couple of videos that have played perfectly. But most start off OK, then get bad after a couple of minutes. I can guarantee that it is not a computer issue. I will try victapilot's sugestion and upload to Youtube and see what happens.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:21 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
victapilot I will try your suggestion of the upload to Youtube and see what happens.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Oh, and here is another thing I just discovered. When I play the same video in both Avidemux and VLC, the bad audio and video quality always start 1 minute and 45 seconds into the video every time. So that would definitely rule out the computer.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Oh, and here is another thing I just discovered. When I play the same video in both Avidemux and VLC, the bad audio and video quality always start 1 minute and 45 seconds into the video every time. So that would definitely rule out the computer.
I'm pretty sure the video is being corrupted. I've seen video and audio artifacts like this in corrupted video from the #16 camera when it had it's "point-at-the-sky" corruption bug. It was corrected with firmware. The new #18 camera is doing the same thing, but still needs to be fixed. The #11 uses the same video processor chip and same (I think) CMOS sensor array, but this has not plagued the #11 previously that I can recall. Does it do this when you quickly pan the camera from a ground scene to a bright sky (doesn't have to be pointing at the sun)?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
588 Posts
Why not creating a sample with MP4Cam2Avi and upload somewhere like mediafire.com or sendspace.com to let specialists look at it? You can cut the desired segment with that program.

enjoy,
Mtz
Last edited by Mtz; Apr 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
Speaking of VLC a few post back...
Is anyone having any problems with the latest version of VLC?
I downloaded and install the latest version a week ago (because it offered to do it).

I recorded a 20 min video on my #16 on Monday and found whenever I run VLC in full screen is stalls and gets all pixelized (the sound keeps going fine) and take a few seconds to clear up, but if I move the mouse the pixilizes again.
It's fine in a window, even a miximized window.

It's version 2.0.1 'Twoflower'. The last version had no problem at all.

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
It's done it in several different scenarios. It's done it of course in flying videos, but also just in a walking video when I placed the cam on my hat. The one perfect video I have had was when I placed the cam on the dashboard of my car and went driving. All the others have gone bad after a minute or two.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Speaking of VLC a few post back...
Is anyone having any problems with the latest version of VLC?
I downloaded and install the latest version a week ago (because it offered to do it).

I recorded a 20 min video on my #16 on Monday and found whenever I run VLC in full screen is stalls and gets all pixelized (the sound keeps going fine) and take a few seconds to clear up, but if I move the mouse the pixilizes again.
It's fine in a window, even a miximized window.

It's version 2.0.1 'Twoflower'. The last version had no problem at all.

B!LL!
I D/l'd that version previously, and while I can display and play full screen 720p HD content on my PC, the program throws up when I try to do a frame capture to a .JPG image, saying it can't find the decoder or some such nonsense!

I think the "Twoflower" version was tagged as "beta" if I remember right, and apparently justifiable so! I'll revert back to the prior stable version once I locate it.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
It's done it in several different scenarios. It's done it of course in flying videos, but also just in a walking video when I placed the cam on my hat. The one perfect video I have had was when I placed the cam on the dashboard of my car and went driving. All the others have gone bad after a minute or two.
I may have missed it, but have you tried a different flash memory card? I don't trust any card until it proves itself in a specific camera these days.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:39 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
My keychain HD cam #11 with Macro lens.
I love that thing.

just cruising at the shore (3 min 22 sec)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:50 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
My keychain HD cam #11 with Macro lens.
I love that thing.
Oh ! duplicate post , also in the old 5in1 thread
Mike
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
:-)) answered there
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Field of view of a #11 camera with the Kodak .67 wide angle lens..
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
someone help :( xx

hi iv just done that but now my camera dont power up it does light up when i connect to the laptop but the removable disk does not show up on my computer when i put a different card in their it still the same xx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Tom,

Hmmm, since I am using Finster's files I will let him get back on the file name renaming issue. I only know that I still have a working camera with a date stamp. If I undestand it I am to (as part of step 5) delete the file I just installed?

Below is from Finster's file download on his website:

Remove Date/Time Instructions:

Use at own risk!!! Follow steps below.

#1 Turn on camera, plug in USB.

#2 Open the camera folder and place the FW96630A NO TIME.bin file next to the DCIM folder (root of camera)
Important Note: ((Do not rename or modify the .bin files))

#3 Unplug the USB and wait for the light to go off on its own.

#4 Turn on camera and wait for the light to appear (takes few seconds)

#5 Open the camera folder again but this time delete the file FW96630A.bin from the folder. Make sure to delete the file or the cam will keep installing the .bin file each time the cam powers up.

#6 Test your cam to see if Time/Date is gone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To put time back on use the FW96630A HAVE TIME.bin, Follow same steps as above.

2KOOL4U.com
sexysam777 is offline Find More Posts by sexysam777
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysam777 View Post
hi iv just done that but now my camera dont power up it does light up when i connect to the laptop but the removable disk does not show up on my computer when i put a different card in their it still the same xx
If I understand you correctly, your camera worked before you did the update. Is that correct?

In that case, the firmware is not installed correctly. Make sure your camera is fully charged and update the firmware again following the instructions exactly as described here (Under "Update Firmware"). Since you can't connect your camera as a removable disk, use a card reader as decribed in (*1) at the bottom of the paragraph.
Once the firmware is installed, it is imperative that you delete the firmware file before you turn the camera on again. Again, use the card reader for this.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Tom Frank, I think what you are saying has merit. The video seems to go bad when it pans from the ground to the sky. However, it has also done it when walking indoors from outdoors. I have taken a couple of videos with it placed on the dash of my car while driving, and those videos were fine. So what's the firmware you are talking about?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Right i forgot the 18,

Ok here is what i did. I opened the #11 on the day it got wet and cut red and black wire from battery. let it dry over the weekend.
battery is good tested with multimeter.

#11 cam is now without battery.

connecting with normal usb cable it lights red. pushing on off button it goes to usb disk mode.

connectin with special usb cable no red light is shining (it was one of the first #11) but i can power it on. sometimes the yellow light is shining forever, and sometimes the yellow light does like it always did. (flicker one time) but i can not start a recording. it does however create dcim folder structure.

all without the battery for the moment, because i have in mind i can fully use the #11 with the special cable without battery.

ok looking at home i found i ordered another #11 this year in january, it was original closed and unoped package from singapore. ok i opened it and started charging the battery. the red light was lighting. after more than 1 hour?? it got off. i tried to start the other #11 cam but i donīt can power it on. nothing. i again tried to charge it, and instead of stop charging after 2 or 5 minutes because the battery should be full already, it once again charged for a long time (the red light until it got off). so no matter what i do i can not get on the second #11.

so i do not get lucky with my 2 #11. any idea for one of them to bring them to life?

thanks
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Ok here is what i did. I opened the #11 on the day it got wet and cut red and black wire from battery. let it dry over the weekend.
battery is good tested with multimeter.

#11 cam is now without battery.

connecting with normal usb cable it lights red. pushing on off button it goes to usb disk mode.

connectin with special usb cable no red light is shining (it was one of the first #11) but i can power it on. sometimes the yellow light is shining forever, and sometimes the yellow light does like it always did. (flicker one time) but i can not start a recording. it does however create dcim folder structure.

all without the battery for the moment, because i have in mind i can fully use the #11 with the special cable without battery.

ok looking at home i found i ordered another #11 this year in january, it was original closed and unoped package from singapore. ok i opened it and started charging the battery. the red light was lighting. after more than 1 hour?? it got off. i tried to start the other #11 cam but i donīt can power it on. nothing. i again tried to charge it, and instead of stop charging after 2 or 5 minutes because the battery should be full already, it once again charged for a long time (the red light until it got off). so no matter what i do i can not get on the second #11.

so i do not get lucky with my 2 #11. any idea for one of them to bring them to life?

thanks
I'm not quite sure which camera is which, but the symptoms of your "wet" camera are exactly as if there is a problem with the CMOS module or cable.
When my CMOS cable was cracked, the camera also created the folders and even deleted the timestamp file! So, to me it sounds as if your "wet" camera is finished unless you can solder very well and obtain a replacement lens. I don't think it's worth it.

Have you tried using the "wet" camera battery on your "new" camera? If the new battery became undercharged, for whatever reason, the control circuitry may not be able to charge it. If the battery is under about 3 volts it may be dead forever...

I expect the camera electronics need at least 3 volts to run and above 3.5 volts to record.

If you replace the battery, make sure you connect Red to + and Black to -. If you do it wrong - goodby camera!
Last edited by Isoprop; Apr 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Tom Frank, I think what you are saying has merit. The video seems to go bad when it pans from the ground to the sky. However, it has also done it when walking indoors from outdoors. I have taken a couple of videos with it placed on the dash of my car while driving, and those videos were fine. So what's the firmware you are talking about?
The latest firmware (received directly from the developer months ago) for this camera is linked in the FAQs in post #3.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:10 AM
Guam
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
Thanks. So I would use the latest 9/18/2011 firmware, is that correct?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
If this is the case you are the first person to report the problem and I wonder if your camera has some unofficial firmware installed - I hope not the #18 firmware...
It would be interesting if you could do further testing as Tom has described in the #18 thread. If you watch the video here, starting from 36 sec. you will see exactly how to do the test.

If it does indeed have unofficial firmware installed, it may not be possible to go back to an official version, or it may not help any more.

All the V2 firmware versions that Tom has listed here should work.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
If this is the case you are the first person to report the problem and I wonder if your camera has some unofficial firmware installed - I hope not the #18 firmware...
It would be interesting if you could do further testing as Tom has described in the #18 thread. If you watch the video here, starting from 36 sec. you will see exactly how to do the test.

If it does indeed have unofficial firmware installed, it may not be possible to go back to an official version, or it may not help any more.

All the V2 firmware versions that Tom has listed here should work.
The #11 cam can be made to load/run #18 firmware, but requires first installing a new boot loader, and it's not reversible. And of course there will be no video out capability since that require physical changes to the circuit board.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
Champaign, Il
Joined Apr 2007
278 Posts
I just ordered a macro lens from Deal Extreme (Part #14953) and am wondering how it attaches. Could someone send me a pic? Thanks!
-Brian
My_design is offline Find More Posts by My_design
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_design View Post
I just ordered a macro lens from Deal Extreme (Part #14953) and am wondering how it attaches. Could someone send me a pic? Thanks!
-Brian
Read the FAQs post #3 on wide angle lenses
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
-Brian
Best Buy is selling the Kodak wide angle-macro and tele lenses for $17 locally.
Other than the name on the lens, the Kodak looks like that one.
The macro feature.. meh.. The wide angle is more useful, and the tele.. no use at all for my purposes.
I glue the lens on the camera case after flattening the front of the case. The ring the magnet in the base of the lenses attaches to... It's too insecure a fit to use for anything vigorous.
I've put that ring on my MD-80 for the temporary attaching of the wide angle lens, which I attach to my shirt pocket for exciting images of takeoffs and landings.... The lens shifts around somewhat there.
.67 lens mountings...
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
-Brian
808 Key Chain Cam - How fit a wide angle lense plus lense comparison video #11 #16 #3 etc. (8 min 59 sec)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:50 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Sorry to break in to the technical......stuff

But, I'm Baaaaack.

I dusted off my patent pending, world famous clothespin clip and my original #11 with the stock firmware and no special lens and this is what I came up with.

Watch in full screen, I ain't got no super dooper zoom lens on my keyfob.

Enjoy

Waterbug (5 min 45 sec)

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:15 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,284 Posts
Welcome back Yabba. I always enjoy your videos as you seem to be having so much fun - sometimes at the expense of your FB's
Looks like a perfect spot for float flying. Perhaps you ought to build a Drongo
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369728
Never did get mine near water as now where suitable nearby
Drongo Radio Control plane (3 min 19 sec)
shot with my # 11 hatcam so at least I'm not OT
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:52 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Hi Yabba,

Lots of fun! There's a guy at our club that has a similar one that flies quite well, does circuits with the big guys. I'll get video if he has it out again.

Good video for a camera declared DEAD a few posts back LOL.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Y,
I love those HyroFoam type models! The best combo of all for air, water ground and even hovering Did you BIY, and if so what plans, motor, prop, lipo, did you use? Thanks for the video
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
Sorry to break in to the technical......stuff

But, I'm Baaaaack.

I dusted off my patent pending, world famous clothespin clip and my original #11 with the stock firmware and no special lens and this is what I came up with.

Watch in full screen, I ain't got no super dooper zoom lens on my keyfob.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcuhb...gXP6fhanFzU%3D

Yabba
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Welcome back Yabba. I always enjoy your videos as you seem to be having so much fun - sometimes at the expense of your FB's
Looks like a perfect spot for float flying. Perhaps you ought to build a Drongo

Andy
Hi again Andy,

Actually I've never been away. I read every post in this thread daily. It's just that I haven't had anything that I thought the guys would enjoy lately until this.

Wow! That Drongo scoots! The verticle was amazing with that motor/battery/prop combo.

I'm on it and just subscribed to the thread you linked so I can see what I need. Thanks.

Yep, my OFB's and I have a pretty good time most of the time. Even the "not so great" days are usually fun at someone's expense.

Real quick OT that really isn't enough for a PM but I had a really great OFB that moved back to the U.K. a couple of years ago and I *think* he moved to Bristol. Name of Hawker. Ever hear of him? He lived in US for MANY years and had dual citizenship and had to move back finally and we lost touch. One of my greastest OFB's EVER. Sad

Victapilot
Quote:
Lots of fun! There's a guy at our club that has a similar one that flies quite well, does circuits with the big guys. I'll get video if he has it out again.

Good video for a camera declared DEAD a few posts back LOL.
I tried to buy some PDF plans for a F-1 Hydrofoil that a fellow sells that flys WONDERFULLY. But he stopped selling that and went to a 150% twin version that I have no interest in.

If you can get video that would be great. Just be sure to tape it with a keyfob so we can get back OT and Tom doesn't get too mad at us.

BTW, I have 2 #11's and have seen no reason to change anything for the stuff I do. But since I've gotten into FPV (dabbing my toes) that new one with the video out may be interesting once we get a few in circulation and see how they're working.

Sorry Tom, I'll shut up now.

Yabba
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Y,
I love those HyroFoam type models! The best combo of all for air, water ground and even hovering Did you BIY, and if so what plans, motor, prop, lipo, did you use? Thanks for the video
Cheers,
Jim
Doggone it, I'm already probably in enough trouble with Tom. (won't be the first time)

Here you go,

http://www.parkjets.com/hydro

Check out the video (middle of page) to see what they're SUPPOSE to be able to do.

I'm out (still flying Quads though )

Yabba
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Thanks Yabba! SBT Tom
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Doggone it, I'm already probably in enough trouble with Tom. (won't be the first time)

Here you go,

http://www.parkjets.com/hydro

Check out the video (middle of page) to see what they're SUPPOSE to be able to do.

I'm out (still flying Quads though )

Yabba
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Victapilot

I tried to buy some PDF plans for a F-1 Hydrofoil that a fellow sells that flys WONDERFULLY. But he stopped selling that and went to a 150% twin version that I have no interest in.

If you can get video that would be great. Just be sure to tape it with a keyfob so we can get back OT and Tom doesn't get too mad at us.

BTW, I have 2 #11's and have seen no reason to change anything for the stuff I do. But since I've gotten into FPV (dabbing my toes) that new one with the video out may be interesting once we get a few in circulation and see how they're working.

Sorry Tom, I'll shut up now.

Yabba
The "new" #11 with AV out was given the unofficial #18 tag at first. I have one and started a thread on it here so discussion about it can continue there. It has file corruption problems on the recorded video, but appears to not affect the AV out.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Short Term #11 Promotion

I just got notified of this special pricing for the original #11. All these eBay sellers are supposed to have this lowered price:

hxelepro360
beetleonline
power-gps
internet-shop365
powerdigital898
eletech086

I don't know if this is a permanent price reduction (until they are all gone?) or just a short term thing.

NOTE: This is NOT the "Upgraded #11" with the AV Out function (a.k.a. #18)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 19, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
I just got notified of this special pricing for the original #11. All these eBay sellers are supposed to have this lowered price:

I don't know if this is a permanent price reduction (until they are all gone?) or just a short term thing.

NOTE: This is NOT the "Upgraded #11" with the AV Out function (a.k.a. #18)
TKU mike
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
Champaign, Il
Joined Apr 2007
278 Posts
Thanks for the help with the pic and vids!
Now I know better what I'm getting! Looks like the 67 will be a nice modification.
Going to need to test the strength of the magnetic ring. Don't want the lens popping off on a bouncy landing.
:-)
-B
My_design is offline Find More Posts by My_design
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
The magnetic strength is good if you don't use the little rings included with the cam. Much better to use a steel washer.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Sep 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
The #11 cam can be made to load/run #18 firmware, but requires first installing a new boot loader, and it's not reversible. And of course there will be no video out capability since that require physical changes to the circuit board.
Hi Tom will using the #18 firmware on my #11 help with the old colour changing etc? If so is there a procedure documented for doing this at all?

Cheers
billhally is online now Find More Posts by billhally
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally View Post
Hi Tom will using the #18 firmware on my #11 help with the old colour changing etc? If so is there a procedure documented for doing this at all?

Cheers
From my limited testing of the #18, it appears that the colors are more stable and don't shift around like the #11 does. The colors also appear to be more natural and not so over-saturated like the old #11.

Yes, there is a procedure for converting a #11 into a #18 by loading in a new camera boot loader, then loading in the #18 firmware. I have this information and have successfully done it, but I have NOT posted it for general download because the current #18 firmware is UNSTABLE, and the procedure is NOT REVERSIBLE. In short, your #11 conversion to #18 will result in a camera that might produce more natural and more stable colors, but can produce corrupted files if it is recording and pans from a ground scene to a bright sky with nothing else in the scene. The corrupted files will result in unuseable video from the point of corruption on. See the #18 thread for more info. If you REALLY want to do this and hope a new firmware will correct the file corruption issue (as it did on the similar #16 - different developer!), PM me and I can send you this information. But you have been warned!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
The batttery in my #11 is flakying out, I just ordered this one on Ebay to replace it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120898215601...84.m1439.l2649

This battery comes with a protection circuit pre-installed, anyone know if I will be able to use this type battery and not have to mess with taking the protection circuit off the old camera battery?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:27 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I would use it as it is. Could cause harm trying to transfer the old one.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge View Post
The batttery in my #11 is flakying out, I just ordered this one on Ebay to replace it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120898215601...84.m1439.l2649

This battery comes with a protection circuit pre-installed, anyone know if I will be able to use this type battery and not have to mess with taking the protection circuit off the old camera battery?

Thanks,

Bill
The advertised thickness of the battery is 5mm. The stock battery is only 4mm thick. You might have an issue with it fitting (maybe someone else can confirm if a 5mm thick cell will still fit?) But if it were me, I'd just order a replacement from your camera vendor and be done with it.. no worry about the protection circuit or the size. Might be $1 more at most, but at least you know what you are getting will work.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
64 Posts
How to protect my key chain from high temperature?

Hi people,

I just bought a key chain 808 #11... In some cases, I will use this camera in a very hot enviroment. Here, during the summer, in a sunny day the temperature can go above 40°C (do not ask me how many °F ) and I am wondering if that could damage my camera. Furthermore, I noticed that the camera became quite warm during recording. I could record for 1 hour without interruptions...
I need something to protect the camera or cool it down... Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance!!

Ginetto

PS: this is my first post!
ginetto is offline Find More Posts by ginetto
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
the cam battery does last that long wow. Placing a cam in a hot situation is not good, you must allow to operate between two temp's, according to NO GUIDELINE's in the manual a camera operating temps are around 36 degree's F-105 degree's F

Hd video requires work, that is why it gets warmer.

To give you an idea place an Iphone in a car on the dash at around 70-80 degrees you'll notice the inside is hot, and the device will overheat and warn you.

proven that a cam can take punishment in a freezing enviorement, in a freezer working. so in theory keep in the guidelines and you will have a working cam

Do not operate in a humid wet enviorement hot/cold.
do not charge after extensive use, allow rest time.

Cam will over heat, shut down, and will work

the list goes on.

my two cents
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 23, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Apr 2012
64 Posts
Thanks fishycomics for your reply.
As I thought and as you confirmed, the camera does not work well in a hot enviroment (above 40°C or 105°F). Anyway, I am thinking how to still use this camera in this kind of situation, but use some sort of protection or something to cool it down. Do you have any ideas? Anyone have?
I could use something to protect the camera from direct sunlight, but I don't know if it is sufficient... Maybe using some particular material which is able to reflect the sunlight and/or create a cooler micro enviroment where to place the camera...
I really don't know...
Please Help me...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
588 Posts
First try, then complain. Protecting from direct sun should be enough, but if will stop recording because getting hot you can try some nice small holes.

The following is offtopic so try to not continue even if this is true:
if you want to use it in the car put in the upper position possible, near the rear mirror. The small dots from the windshield will protect your camera from sun.
Also you can mount it in the most upper position from the window and will be protected also by the car roof. But I know in that place are the small dots so if you want to put it there (I consider the best position for a car DVR) you need to remove few dots to make a small clear window where to film. About removing that dots you can try on Google search but I didn't found yet some universal solution. You can test in some corner using a razor blade.

enjoy,
Mtz
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto View Post
Thanks fishycomics for your reply.
As I thought and as you confirmed, the camera does not work well in a hot enviroment (above 40°C or 105°F). Anyway, I am thinking how to still use this camera in this kind of situation, .
Please Help me...
do not want to step on Tom Frank OT you will need to add like what is on a motor those fins aluminum fins. To modify tight quarters going to be fun

Keeping OT (ontopic) the #11 or any should work be lucky the cam saves the file when shut down occurres
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
Where can I buy this camera (#11, #16, or #18) who provide international shipping?
It would be even better if it supports HD recording.
ashutoshn is offline Find More Posts by ashutoshn
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshn View Post
Where can I buy this camera (#11, #16, or #18) who provide international shipping?
It would be even better if it supports HD recording.
You may visit the first post of the threads. For that cam you want

The choice is up to you who to go with anything you do or choose you will be responsable not the group

Ask questions do research and sleep on it that is why the threads are here for to read the first five topics
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
the cam battery does last that long
I am thinking to use an external power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the cam saves the file when shut down occurres
This is true and it is a great feature, but with the model #11 I don't know when it happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz
if you want to use it in the car...
I need to put the camera on a small toy car...
I could cover the camera with something... what do you suggest me? Plastic seems to me not the best solution, but I can't think anything else..
I even thought to put some ice cube near the camera..

Any other ideas are welcome..
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto View Post
I am thinking to use an external power supply

This is true and it is a great feature, but with the model #11 I don't know when it happens...

I need to put the camera on a small toy car...
I could cover the camera with something... what do you suggest me? Plastic seems to me not the best solution, but I can't think anything else..
I even thought to put some ice cube near the camera..

Any other ideas are welcome..
To keep ontopic(OT) may we suggest to move to an Offtopic thread.

As Tom Frank will tell you this is a Ariel photo for planes......

If you are running this for rc truck then you got no problems airflow is present.

For the link the choice is your Ever trying to steer asay
Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
To keep ontopic(OT) may we suggest to move to an fftopic thread.
at least give him a fftipik thread of yours to goto where he will be OT by your definition, please
Quote:

As Tom Frank will tell you this is a Ariel phot for planes......

If you are running this for rc truck then you got no problems airflow is present
M
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Use PM!

If replies to an off topic question are made using the PM (Private Message) option (accessed by clicking on the posters name in the left hand column, then down the right hand colum to the PM link), we don't get these on-going off topic exchanges in the main thread. PLEASE use PM for this!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
To keep ontopic(OT) may we suggest to move to an Offtopic thread.

As Tom Frank will tell you this is a Ariel photo for planes......

If you are running this for rc truck then you got no problems airflow is present.
It is true that this thread is on aerial photo, but I though that the problem of high temperature could be of general interest, also for this thread.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
588 Posts
Quote:
If replies to an off topic question are made using the PM (Private Message) option (accessed by clicking on the posters name in the left hand column, then down the right hand colum to the PM link), we don't get these on-going off topic exchanges in the main thread. PLEASE use PM for this!
I saw you have many posts (I have more than you in another forum where I was moderating also, but this is not important who have more) and I am sure you helped many people also on PM.
But I consider using PM is not good for any forum because if you will provide some information and help which can be unique, all other forum members will not enjoy your work, only the luck PM receiver. Also I am sure you have some PM with the same answer, repeating, so why to type and explain again to other users the same thing you already explained? If repeating you can only post a link to that post.

The PM is not in the forum search options and is the enemy of a forum purpose. Is better to have some stupid topic with offtopic because in all that "garbage" can be hidden real values. PM can be used for some sensitive things like price, where to buy to avoid spam, or for things that really break the forum rules. Offtopic is in every forum in the world.

For example I don't like to answer only for one user (remember I posted about 20.000 posts on forums) and I consider when I add some value to a forum using my experience, this is good for all not for only one person and I consider I waste my time responding only to ginetto if I have some brilliant idea.
But sorry ginetto, I don't have a real solution regarding your problem, but you can keep in mind the holes I already described with photos or if you will want to keep forever the 808 in that car you can disassemble the camera and stick some big allu radiator over the chipset and put it in another box, but also you can put the camera in some place where the air enter in the car to cool it if using high speeds. Regarding ice, maybe you can make some special cylindrical bag with water inside (frozen) to cover all camera except the optic and mic.

Tom, the reason you made the posts 1-5 with so much work and information is just to not answer again and again to the same questions. I am sure you receive many PM regarding download old firmware versions, but this is because you choose that way to not provide old versions.

Finally, you made so such great things here, but writing that is possible to close a topic because of offtopic can put in the shadow all your nice work from this years. I know at some moment you feel is too much, but think at your all work done here and if you feel that offtopic is with good intentions, helping people, giving information, you can pass over it.

Again, PM is an enemy for every forum, bigger than offtopic.
If some user posts forever offtopic there are some moderator tools to not disturb anymore, but also to not ban the user. He can write but nobody can read, only him and moderators. This can be also done to me because of this offtopic.
Everything I posted here were only with good intentions and many times to provide help, not only to ask, even was offtopic.
Somebody told me that from the internet users, only 5% are adding real value to the internet, the other 95% just using their work. And sometimes the offtopic is in that 5 small percent.

enjoy,
Mtz
Last edited by Mtz; Apr 23, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Closed Thread