Subscribed
OTTOFLYS is offline Find More Posts by OTTOFLYS
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:41 PM
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Hello,
I have a #11 that I planned to mount to a bike helmet for mountain biking but the camera began to act up after only a few days of use. The camera won't turn off and doesn't appear to be charging properly. I can charge the camera using the thin USB power cable and see both the red and yellow LEDs but even after a day on the cable the camera will die within the first few minutes of recording. The video that is captured has the typical audio and video noise. Holding the power button down does not turn the camera off but quick pressing the button does change modes. I flashed the firmware to see if that was the problem but the symptoms remain.

Has anyone else run into a similar set of symptoms? I've been emailing the eBay seller (xiongyan986) but so far all I've gotten in reply is that I need to allow the battery to charge fully...duh.

Mike
mcoomer is offline Find More Posts by mcoomer
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:00 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoomer View Post
Hello,
I have a #11 that I planned to mount to a bike helmet for mountain biking but the camera began to act up after only a few days of use. The camera won't turn off and doesn't appear to be charging properly. I can charge the camera using the thin USB power cable and see both the red and yellow LEDs but even after a day on the cable the camera will die within the first few minutes of recording. The video that is captured has the typical audio and video noise. Holding the power button down does not turn the camera off but quick pressing the button does change modes. I flashed the firmware to see if that was the problem but the symptoms remain.

Has anyone else run into a similar set of symptoms? I've been emailing the eBay seller (xiongyan986) but so far all I've gotten in reply is that I need to allow the battery to charge fully...duh.

Mike
Sounds like a battery problem to me.. Have you tried using a regular USB cable to charge it?? I'm not sure if the SPEICAL #11 cable is for charging or just as a EXT power supply. I have never used mine. Does the camera make a video with it attached??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

Mike
Did you try pushing the reset button? Which of the 12 eBay stores listed on post #2 did you buy the camera from?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Sounds like a battery problem to me.. Have you tried using a regular USB cable to charge it?? I'm not sure if the SPEICAL #11 cable is for charging or just as a EXT power supply. I have never used mine. Does the camera make a video with it attached??
I've tried the regular data cable and the thin power cable with the same results. I can't get the camera to take video when connected with the data cable. When I push the button to changes modes to movie it simply connects or disconnects the USB connection to the PC. When I try it with the thin cable attached I still get noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Did you try pushing the reset button? Which of the 12 eBay stores listed on post #2 did you buy the camera from?
I have tried the reset button a number of times. I bought my camera from xiongyan986. They have a 99.3 rating on 600+ transactions, including recent positive feedback for the #11 camera. Unfortunately, at the time I decided to buy I hadn't heard of this site or thread so I didn't know about the 12 vendors in your list. BTW...what are the chances in bumping into another person from Sammamish?

One thing I did do was open up the camera and look for obvious defects. I found some info in the thread and check for shorted components, checked and reflowed the flex print to the lens, and reflowed two pads on the power switch that didn't have enough solder to have a good fillet. No joy. I'm leaving for a business trip in a few days so I don't have time to deal with this now but I'm going to contact the seller again and try to resolve this.

Mike
mcoomer is offline Find More Posts by mcoomer
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:14 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
I've tried the regular data cable and the thin power cable with the same results. I can't get the camera to take video when connected with the data cable. When I push the button to changes modes to movie it simply connects or disconnects the USB connection to the PC. When I try it with the thin cable attached I still get noise.

I have tried the reset button a number of times. I bought my camera from xiongyan986. They have a 99.3 rating on 600+ transactions, including recent positive feedback for the #11 camera. Unfortunately, at the time I decided to buy I hadn't heard of this site or thread so I didn't know about the 12 vendors in your list. BTW...what are the chances in bumping into another person from Sammamish?

One thing I did do was open up the camera and look for obvious defects. I found some info in the thread and check for shorted components, checked and reflowed the flex print to the lens, and reflowed two pads on the power switch that didn't have enough solder to have a good fillet. No joy. I'm leaving for a business trip in a few days so I don't have time to deal with this now but I'm going to contact the seller again and try to resolve this.

Mike
Yeah, small world!

The reason I asked about your seller is that I don't recognize them as one of the confirmed sellers of the real #11 camera. I'm in close communication with the developer, and listed all the stores he has confirmed as selling his #16 camera. It's possible he has expanded the sellers, but I have heard anything. A confirmed seller would likely offer to replace the camera. Do you have a link to the store where you bought the camera? I can check if it's legit.

Other than trying a different battery and/or a different flash card, I can't think of anything else you might try. The noise artifacts you describe sounds like it might be low battery sounds, but without a sample, it's hard to tell. But I can tell you that the Special Cable should power the camera, and you said it doesn't, so I'd say the camera is defective.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Hi there, first, I havent read the whole topic, because it is 90 pages and that is a lot. I have my 808 #11 cam and I need longer battery life. I have a one cell 1800Mah lipo. Can I use it, if I solder that little board from the original battery to it? Would it be possible to charge that battery throught the computer?

PS: sorry for my bad english, I am from Czech Republic...
Screpheep is offline Find More Posts by Screpheep
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screpheep View Post
Hi there, first, I havent read the whole topic, because it is 90 pages and that is a lot. I have my 808 #11 cam and I need longer battery life. I have a one cell 1800Mah lipo. Can I use it, if I solder that little board from the original battery to it? Would it be possible to charge that battery throught the computer?

PS: sorry for my bad english, I am from Czech Republic...
If you are asking if you could plug the camera into the computer USB port and use the camera's charge ciruit to recharge that big lipo, the answer is yes, you could, but I doubt you would want to because the camera's charge current is controlled to safely charge the 250 mAH stock battery in the camera. Your 1800 mAH battery has over 7 times more capacity, so it would take proportionally longer to recharge (approx. 11 hours for a fully depleted cell). This is not good for the camera's small charging circuit. But you could use an external plug for the big cell and charge it with a dedicated lipo charger in about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

FWIW, take note of the thread title and read the first 5 posts. Stop on post 3 and read the link to external power.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
I do not have any charger that could charge a 1S lipo, mine can charge only 2s or 3s. So if I wanted my battery to charge throught the USB-camera, do I need to solder that little circuit board that is soldered to that old battery? Or is it okay to solder the wires directly?
Screpheep is offline Find More Posts by Screpheep
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screpheep View Post
I do not have any charger that could charge a 1S lipo, mine can charge only 2s or 3s. So if I wanted my battery to charge throught the USB-camera, do I need to solder that little circuit board that is soldered to that old battery? Or is it okay to solder the wires directly?
That small circuit board has high/low voltage and high charge current protection for the cell. Use it for more complete cell protection. The camera will continue to draw a small current when turned off, and can drain the battery too low, damaging it. But even with that circuit board, the low voltage cutoff point is only 2.4V, well below the normal 3V cutoff that's deemed proper for a high C lipo as your most probably is.

Having said that, the best alternative for external power is a dedicated external USB power pack that can be charge much faster and not risk damage to the cell from very low voltage or to the camera's charge circuit from excessively long charge cycles.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
Happy when flying!
France, Aquitaine
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
@ GGTronic:
Thanks for the advise! but I like full flights

Anyway I try to do shorter flights now!

The quality of your video is incredible for an #11, it as no color hunting

Salutations francophones

Here is my latest video:

Flight over the crater (FPV 808#16) (5 min 19 sec)
kjrell is offline Find More Posts by kjrell
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
First testflight

Sunday afternoon was spent on a cold, windy and muddy field.
We tested a No. 11 Key Ring Camera on a model airplane. A first for me and my camera but we will do it again, on a much calmer day and with a bigger airplane.

Unfortunately the camera seems to be having a flaw, the right side of the picture is a little bit out of focus,

Here is a video report, filmed both from the ground and from the air
Aerial Photo With A Mini HD Video Camera. Modellflyg med mini HD Videokamera (4 min 49 sec)
PhotoWriter is offline Find More Posts by PhotoWriter
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoWriter View Post
We tested a No. 11 Key Ring Camera on a model airplane. A first for me and my camera but we will do it again, on a much calmer day and with a bigger airplane.

Unfortunately the camera seems to be having a flaw, the right side of the picture is a little bit out of focus,

Here is a video report, filmed both from the ground and from the air http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9T7rcBAWE

I started to watch it but I don't care for music in airplane videos..
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I started to watch it but I don't care for music in airplane videos..
Turn off the sound.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:34 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Turn off the sound.
Then I can't hear the motor or the wind noise.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Other than the airplane itself, which is too close to the camera to be in focus, more distant objects looked in focus to me. There is some natural color darkening (vignetting) at the video frame edges and corners with this camera, which is normal with the small lens it uses.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Other than the airplane itself, which is too close to the camera to be in focus, more distant objects looked in focus to me. There is some natural color darkening (vignetting) at the video frame edges and corners with this camera, which is normal with the small lens it uses.
Thanks Tom! I have taken som still shots using one of the test forms I have for "normal" camera testing and it shows a slight heavier vignetting on the right hand side. During our next flights I will be using a #16 camera though.

And to those who do not like the music, viewing as well as listening is not something I´m forcing you to do :-)!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom! I have taken som still shots using one of the test forms I have for "normal" camera testing and it shows a slight heavier vignetting on the right hand side. During our next flights I will be using a #16 camera though.

And to those who do not like the music, viewing as well as listening is not something I´m forcing you to do :-)!
Which is why I stopped watching it..
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:

The #16 should look MUCH better! You might want to look closely at how well your lens is centered on the camera case hole. The lens module does not have a positive centering method in the case, and often it's just held in place with a dab of hot melt glue. It could be the case is causing some of the right side added vignetting?

Personally I don't mind music, as long as it's not acid rock, rap, Gregorian chant, or other utterances that don't fit my definition of music! It's much better than a blaring motor noise that suddenly blows the cones out of my speakers!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 13, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:38 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
Quote:

Here is a video report, filmed both from the ground and from the air http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9T7rcBAWE
Sorry and all that, but if you add music to a video it should enhance what you are you watching, but in this case I found it a distraction.

Anyhow, FWIW liked the video and the quality looks pretty good to me for an 11# cam. And the model looks like fun.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:20 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:

Here is a video report, filmed both from the ground and from the air
That was a nice family outing for late winter.
The poor old SlowStick was being blown about quite a lot, but you managed to keep it in one piece.
If you could move the camera out of the prop arc, and angle it down a little more, it would be better.
For a first attempt I liked it, though the music would not be my first choice, at least you floated some motor sound in underneath.
I did not find the vignetting too distracting, after all is is not a 75mm Panavision camera is it
Thank you.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:39 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom! And to those who do not like the music, viewing as well as listening is not something I´m forcing you to do :-)!
i 'm ashamed how they welcome you to RCG and this camera thread

i say welcome and wish you lots of fun with this nice Slow Stick

finding a plane that offer nice front view (no prop) and easy flying
characteristic is not easy !
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
[QUOTE=ggtronic;21027010]i 'm ashamed how they welcome you to RCG and this camera thread

QUOTE]

Thank you for the kind words, appreciated! I will refrain from posting any more videos.

I will only comment my "reception" with the remark that it always amazes me that small minded people can use big words !
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
[QUOTE=PhotoWriter;21030946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
i 'm ashamed how they welcome you to RCG and this camera thread

QUOTE]

Thank you for the kind words, appreciated! I will refrain from posting any more videos.

I will only comment my "reception" with the remark that it always amazes me that small minded people can use big words !
I did say I enjoyed the video mate. Don't be over sensitive!

It was pointed out to video posters on a paragliding forum I subscribe to that if you post a video for review purposes or on a forum you shouldn't be surprised if viewers comment on it? Or did you just want everyone to say 'that was really great'?

For some reason some people editing paragliding videos seem to think they need heavy music behind them. I turn it off.

I've been putting together vids for a few years now (mostly paragliding) and when I look back at some of the early ones I posted to YouTube I cringe. Too long, too boring. I still cringe when I see the most recent, but I cringe a bit less! (Yours was good.)

We can all learn and improve through other peoples observations can we not?
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Last edited by bobflyman; Mar 14, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
I've been putting together vids for a few years now (mostly paragliding) and when I look back at some of the early ones I posted to YouTube I cringe. Too long, too boring. I still cringe when I see the most recent, but I cringe a bit less! (Yours was good.)We can all learn and improve through other peoples observations can we not?
GOOD point ... i also like short clip wich go directly to the action and cringe about my beginer video
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Regarding posting videos here...

This thread is dedicated to showing what the camera can do, more so than showcasing video editing skills or preferences. Ditto for my #16 camera thread.

Having said that, many record video for their personal use, and link to them here. As such, they contain a lot of things that aren't conducive to viewing enjoyment here, such as this. And now music has been identified as a big negative to some viewers liking.

I will say that if the linked tips are followed, the video will be MUCH more enjoyable to watch here. If there is music included or loud wind/motor noise that you don't like but are wanting to see more of the video, MUTE THE SOUND, but don't make a big deal out of it! If you don't like it, skip the video. No need to rag on those who take the time to post.

I like to see interesting video from the camera, and I hope people who post will take the time to do some editing according to the above tips, and people who watch will give the poster some leeway if their editing doesn't meet your own personal preferences.

There is NOTHING worse than a 15 min. video, showing a couple minutes of getting a camera ready to record, then scenes showing things of little interest, then countless repetitions of the same scenes, and then another couple of minutes of retrieving the camera, and turning it off, etc. Sound or no sound!

Enough said.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Tom ! i really like your video guide:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5153

noted...i will refer to this post often and trully agree with all your suggestion
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,559 Posts
Quote:
Tom ! i really like your video guide:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5153

noted...i will refer to this post often and trully agree with all your suggestion
If you post to Youtube they have a rudimentary video editor you can use after uploading.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Here is a video from today. First time flying FPV with Fatshark Goggles. I had the keychain camera on the plane for recording.

E-Flite Apprentice chasing Sig Kadet (1 min 9 sec)
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:24 AM
France, Centre, Bourges
Joined Aug 2009
4 Posts
Hello Tom! Yesterday i've seen a new camera on Ebay called #18 and showed by his seller "beetleonline" as an upgrade of the 808 #11 with A/V output, see here:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=120878345118

My question to Beetleonline:
Dear beetleonline,

Hello, Can you say the differences between your unknown #18 AVI files version and the 808 #11 or 808 #16 MOV files versions because your #18 is not on any revue (if you've some links?) and not on the www.ChuckLohr.com ?
On your demo file, i find that the picture has lower definition that the new #16 version.
Best regards.

His answer:
Dear,

The difference as below :

#11 and #16:
1? same Digital Signal Processor IC NT96632 NOVATEK
2: same Image sensor 1/4" CMOS 1.0 Magapixe HD sensor
3: capacity ,# 11 high 70 mA than # 16 battery ,
#11 battery really 250mA AM-502030P battery
#16 battery really 180mA AM-402030P battery
# 11 can external back-up battery, the side charging edge video function. # 16 no this function!

#11 and the new updated version(i'm not sure if we can named it #18):
the video quality are same.
the #18 add the TV-OUT and the looping recording.AV out function work while the camera is recording.

Hope you like it.

Any questions,just e-mail to us.

What do you think of the features of this "#18 new AVI camera" and his seller, Tom?
Have a nice day!
Bonne journée à tous les francophones!
jmb18110 is offline Find More Posts by jmb18110
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:41 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
nice find JMB !

video out while recording = FPV
waiting for the first report about video lag
& safe FPV feature

maybe its a #16 and we just now learn that it can do
video out ?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
#18 ?

Should I recognize this "#18" enumeration? I did not assign #18 to this camera. Should I continue to enumerate the 808 cameras?

Many of the sellers of the 808 versions have been very successful at creating misinformation and missing information about the 808 cameras. The #16 sellers have been much more honest about their camera.

The consumers and reviewers (me, Tom Frank, Isoprop, ...) have been very successful at enumerating the versions, honestly documenting the metrics, providing consumer help and keeping the information truthful.

As an 808 consumer I created the 808 enumerations (#1 - #16) at my review website.

The manufacturer / sellers of this "#18" camera (hxelepro360 , beetleonline) have been in email contact with me. They claim it to be the "808#11 successor" or "upgrades #11" and are calling it the #18.

Here it is called the #18 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=110843274890

Here is is not called the #18 http://www.ebay.com/itm/320863596032

I have provided a summary review of a sample video from this "#18" camera
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C18

-- Chuck at www.chucklohr.com/808
Normandy5 is offline Find More Posts by Normandy5
Last edited by Normandy5; Mar 22, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
thanks again for all your R&D Normandy

so maybe we can test video out from pin # 4
of our #16 camera
http://www.smallformfactors.com/depa...als/2005/fall/

What is our USB connector type exact name ? mini A or B

wich pin could provide video out ?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
France, Centre, Bourges
Joined Aug 2009
4 Posts
Thanks Chuck!

I'm a bit despited because i was searching a 808 camera with A/V output...
Do you think that will be possible with the #16 in the future?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,744 Posts
I have been looking over this thread and trying to find this answer, since I am sure it has been asked, but I would like to add a cable to my #11 to make it where it can run off of the 5v pulled from the BEC. That way I never have to charge the internal battery, or even better have it where it can operate either way... The problem is that is seems that the #11 doesn't operate when plugged into 5v via the USB.

If anyone has an answer that would be awesome...?
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
I have been looking over this thread and trying to find this answer, since I am sure it has been asked, but I would like to add a cable to my #11 to make it where it can run off of the 5v pulled from the BEC. That way I never have to charge the internal battery, or even better have it where it can operate either way... The problem is that is seems that the #11 doesn't operate when plugged into 5v via the USB.

If anyone has an answer that would be awesome...?
Please read all of the 1st 5 posts of this thread, it will answer your questions, and stop us having to copy it all out again.
Mike
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb18110 View Post
Hello Tom! Yesterday i've seen a new camera on Ebay called #18 and showed by his seller "beetleonline" as an upgrade of the 808 #11 with A/V output, see here:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=120878345118

My question to Beetleonline:
Dear beetleonline,

Hello, Can you say the differences between your unknown #18 AVI files version and the 808 #11 or 808 #16 MOV files versions because your #18 is not on any revue (if you've some links?) and not on the www.ChuckLohr.com ?
On your demo file, i find that the picture has lower definition that the new #16 version.
Best regards.

His answer:
Dear,

The difference as below :

#11 and #16:
1? same Digital Signal Processor IC NT96632 NOVATEK
2: same Image sensor 1/4" CMOS 1.0 Magapixe HD sensor
3: capacity ,# 11 high 70 mA than # 16 battery ,
#11 battery really 250mA AM-502030P battery
#16 battery really 180mA AM-402030P battery
# 11 can external back-up battery, the side charging edge video function. # 16 no this function!

#11 and the new updated version(i'm not sure if we can named it #18):
the video quality are same.
the #18 add the TV-OUT and the looping recording.AV out function work while the camera is recording.

Hope you like it.

Any questions,just e-mail to us.

What do you think of the features of this "#18 new AVI camera" and his seller, Tom?
Have a nice day!
Bonne journée à tous les francophones!
Thank you for posting this valuable information.

The existence of the ((#18)) has been known for a few days, but I know Tom does not want it discussed on his #16 thread. The ideal situation would be for someone who intends to buy, or already has bought, this camera creates a thread dedicated to the ((#18)).

The sellers definitely made a mistake by not contacting Chuck about their new model #. That was a mistake, that maybe they didn't realize at the time. Mistakes can happen. Most probably Chuck will be forced to accept the terminology in order to avoid total confusion. I would do so, but there's a bad after-taste. It would be a nice gesture of goodwill if the sellers would send Chuck a free sample for evaluation.

The developer of the #16 belonged to the group of #11 sellers but does not belong to the group of the ((#18)) sellers. These two groups are now competitors!

I agree that the TV-OUT is something RC users have wanted for a long time and this function could well be it's strongest and only selling point. Time will tell, but I find it hard to imagine that the ((#18)) developer(s) will invest so much time and care (dare I say love) in their camera as the #16 developer. Support for the #16 can't be matched. Proof is the latest S/S/C bug which was corrected within a week of it being found. The colors recorded by the #16 are absolutely perfect, and the color shifting problem recorded by the #11 have gone. How the colors are handled on the ((#18)) is yet unknown.

As far as flexibility goes, the #16 is way ahead. The ((#18)) uses the primitive and prone-to-errors method of using different firmware versions. This is certainly not a professional approach and indicates development was rushed.

I can't quite follow the battery capacity mentioned in the email you received. If the #11 battery is larger, then why doesn't it last longer than the battery in the #16, and why is it's life-expectancy so short? I also don't understand what the seller is trying to say about the external battery. Both the #11 and #16 can be powered by an external battery, but the #11 is badly designed and relies on a "special" cable. The #16 can use an external battery using a standard USB cable.

From what I can gather from the advertisement, it isn't even possible to remove the timestamp from the video - an age-old problem from the #3 days...
I, for one, do not want the timestamp on my video, even if it is tiny. On the #16 I switch the timestamp on for testing and find the possibility of being able to quickly switch the timestamp on or off very convenient. For me, together with recording S/S/C clips of 70 minutes length are a "must".

Tom, I'm sorry this is totally off-topic in your thread, but I really do hope someone (certainly not me) will start a thread dedicated to the ((#18)) so we can keep discussions on this camera there.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Mar 18, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:03 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandy5 View Post
Should I recognize this "#18" enumeration? I did not assign #18 to this camera. Should I continue to enumerate the 808 cameras?

Many of the sellers of the 808 versions have been very successful at creating misinformation and missing information about the 808 cameras. The #16 sellers have been much more honest about their camera.

The consumers and reviewers (me, Tom Frank, Isoprop, ...) have been very successful at enumerating the versions, honestly documenting the metrics, providing consumer help and keeping the information

#18 would be fine, no conflict with any other name.

Worth a new thread, maybe in the FPV forum
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
France, Centre, Bourges
Joined Aug 2009
4 Posts
Dear Isoprop, excuse me to disturb you and your love for the #16 for the eternity...or 70mn of happy...!
The #18 cam is may be a bad product, but the A/V output is a very important for many FPV users and, sometime we can look at others products that your precious #16..
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Dear Isoprop, excuse me to disturb you and your love for the #16 for the eternity...or 70mn of happy...!
The #18 cam is may be a bad product, but the A/V output is a very important for many FPV users and, sometime we can look at others products that your precious #16..
That's why I said what I said. If the A/V is needed, the ((#18)) is the only choice for the time being. The user will have to live with the limited quality? and configuration possibilities.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
I'm sure Isoprop and Tom are NOT against the "18", but they rightly do not want to splinter THIS thread, it would loose its focus and thus die.
Please feel free to start you own #18 thread, and post a link here so those of us who are interested can join in the fun there as well as here.
Mike
Last edited by empeabee; Mar 18, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts

I hope all this works itself out. I may have a sample #18 being sent, so it would be feasible to answer some basic questions about the camera operation, but I do not fly FPV, so would be worthless for those kinds of questions. I could start a thread, but I suspect most of the questions would be FPV related, and would need some dedicate FPV flyer(s) to support the thread discussion. I guess it would live on it's own, but so many threads evolve into something completely alien from the original subject if users turn it into a random blog.

I have receive a new video from the camera shot outdoors on a sunny day. there are no dropped frames, and the colors are vivid... maybe slightly on the high saturation side, but not so much that it's objectionable. The Kodachrome crowd will like it, I'm sure! Also, the exposure and color stability looks good in the short sample clip, and the vignetting is very minimal... on par with the #16, I think. Perhaps a very slight focusing improvment might be possible, but overall the sample clip is very good.
You can download it here. You might need to cancel out the ad web page that pops up when you click on the small "Download from Sendspace" button in the center of the screen, and you can then play or download from the pop-up at the screen bottom [based on Windows 7].

The one disadvantage is the non-standard AVI format, making editing impossible with most editors unless you first re-encode the clip. I suspect the AVI format was used to make encoding faster/easier to facilitate the simultaneous Video Out and recording functions. It remains to be seen what other issues may become important like wider angle lenses, date stamp removal, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
France, Centre, Bourges
Joined Aug 2009
4 Posts
Many thanks Tom for your understanding!
Do you think that it's possible that the firmware of the #18 will be can updated with MOV files and with all the video features, setup software and firmware of the #16?
But may be it's not the same processor, i don't know..
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Many thanks Tom for your understanding!
Do you think that it's possible that the firmware of the #18 will be can updated with MOV files and with all the video features, setup software and firmware of the #16?
But maybe it's not the same processor, i don't know..
I've already inquired about a MOV firmware option for those who need to edit. MOV can be converted to AVI with NO re-encoding using the MP4cam2AVI utility if AVI is needed for other reason.

The camera has the same CMOS and GPU, but different developers. A LOT of work went into the #16 method of user configuration, so I doubt you will see anything like this for the #18... it would require completely re-written firmware. What's more likely, is an upgraded version of the #16 with video out! Or maybe 720p at 60 fps with no dropped frames, like I want!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
thanks again for all your R&D Normandy

so maybe we can test video out from pin # 4
of our #16 camera
http://www.smallformfactors.com/depa...als/2005/fall/

What is our USB connector type exact name ? mini A or B

wich pin could provide video out ?
Although the #16 GPU chip can be configured to output composite video (same video GPU as the #18), it would take a revamp of the circuit board and firmware... in others, a new camera design. The #16 can't be hacked to do this.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
8 Posts
keychain HK cx911

Hi

I recently bought my camera in Hobbyking.
640x480 30fps avi anyka
chip ak3751B and version cx911
someone could tell me if there is update????
Date time is lower right corner cyan blue color

I really liked this camera, the video is very good.
hpeterg is offline Find More Posts by hpeterg
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:53 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
The #18 video looks good to me. Edited fine with MediaImpression, here in YouTube. I'll take it down in a week or so.

#18 Demo (0 min 42 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeterg View Post
Hi

640x480 30fps avi anyka

This Thread is very like the #16 thread where you just asked the same question in.
It deals with one specific camera.
You need a General thread - use the search tool.
Sorry
Mike
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
The #18 video looks good to me. Edited fine with MediaImpression, here in YouTube. I'll take it down in a week or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMD5PGc2vzo
Some commercial editors can handle it, but the freebies, like Virtual Dub, WMM, WLMM, etc. either choke or throw up when the video is cut. It like the old JAZZ HDV178 HD camera in that regard. Isolate any part of the video from the first frame header info, and it becomes up decodable. I think some commercial editors retain a full copy in the background and can access that first frame info when the play the trimmed clips. In any event, a MOV, or better yet MP4 format would be much better for the masses if a normal AVI file cannot be output.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeterg View Post
Hi

640x480 30fps avi anyka

Hi

Your camera is NOT the version 16 nor 11. From your description, it might be version 9 or lower. You can check your version here. http://www.chucklohr.com/808/ Btw, it's hardware version.

My advice is, go to the mega keyfob thread.
TrafalgarLaw is offline Find More Posts by TrafalgarLaw
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
damnnnnnnnnnnnn

i love this camera, but is too damn fragile

My old one died after i drop it in the table (25cm)

Now my new one arrived dead

DAMN BL
l4l4u is offline Find More Posts by l4l4u
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:06 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4l4u View Post
i love this camera, but is too damn fragile

My old one died after i drop it in the table (25cm)

Now my new one arrived dead

DAMN BL(&fizzit)
Grief, you are unlucky, 'cos these cameras have been known to fall from great heights, be submerged in water, and other miserable things, and continue working.
4U
Mike
P.S. does the 'new' one do ANYTHING? (charge, switch on .... ?)
Last edited by empeabee; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Mar 2010
187 Posts
Can anyone tell me about this 808? It claims 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps. It doesn't say if it is a #16 or anything like that though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1080...item3373665dd1
tarheal63 is offline Find More Posts by tarheal63
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
Can anyone tell me about this 808? It claims 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps. It doesn't say if it is a #16 or anything like that though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1080...item3373665dd1
It has it's own thread here, and still has some significant issues with video that are being worked on as you can read there.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Mar 2010
187 Posts
Thank you. I have the old #3, and don't really want to spring for a gopro, so I am looking for something that might suit my needs. Appreciate the heads up.
tarheal63 is offline Find More Posts by tarheal63
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Grief, you are unlucky, 'cos these cameras have been known to fall from great heights, be submerged in water, and other miserable things, and continue working.
4U
Mike
P.S. does the 'new' one do ANYTHING? (charge, switch on .... ?)
Only when plug to usb the light goes on(charging)
Everything else dosent work
I try everything
l4l4u is offline Find More Posts by l4l4u
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:37 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4l4u View Post
Only when plug to usb the light goes on(charging)
Everything else dosent work
I try everything
The usual reset button ?
- thats the limit of my direct knowledge - I assume you've been through the Fixit bit in Posts 2 -> 4.
Maybe one of the real experts can help you.
Mike
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,337 Posts
Hey guys, my #16 just arrived today and I'm not sure where to even begin in a 600 page thread so I have to ask...Is there a simple step-by-step to operate the darn thing? I see 4 buttons, a USB port and the memory card slot. The 4 buttons are not labeled so I don't know what does what and if there's a certain sequence of buttons to push for what operation? I really appreciate it.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:45 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Hey guys, my #16 just arrived today and I'm not sure where to even begin in a 600 page thread so I have to ask...Is there a simple step-by-step to operate the darn thing? I see 4 buttons, a USB port and the memory card slot. The 4 buttons are not labeled so I don't know what does what and if there's a certain sequence of buttons to push for what operation? I really appreciate it.
The New #16 HD Key Cam (READ Posts#1-#5 BEFORE posting questions)

Start by going to the #16 thread and reading the first few posts..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1556994&pp=100

Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,337 Posts
Ah geez, wrong thread. Sorry about that. Thanks for the help!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Is strange that your sample clip have different properties than the actual one from the Chuck site. His clip is available here and every 5-th frame is duplicate. So we have 5 different frames and the 6-th is the same frame as 5-th. Which means for me the camera recorded at 25fps but software added a frame to obtain 30fps.
But in your sample are no duplicate frames which is OK.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Is strange that your sample clip have different properties than the actual one from the Chuck site. His clip is available here and every 5-th frame is duplicate. So we have 5 different frames and the 6-th is the same frame as 5-th. Which means for me the camera recorded at 25fps but software added a frame to obtain 30fps.
But in your sample are no duplicate frames which is OK.

enjoy,
Mtz
The clip from Chuck's site was shot in low light, and the camera has a slow shutter speed in low light, so it doesn't have enough time to capture all the frames. So about every 6th frame the camera runs out of time and the 6th frame is not able to be captured. The sixth frame is not deleted from the video stream, however, but rather the last good full frame is duplicated rather than having a partial frame.

In the link I provided, the light is brighter and the shutter speed is faster, so the camera can capture all of them and there are no duplicates! This is not an uncommon occurrence with many of these small HD key chain cameras.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:05 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
You are right, but maybe a better implementation would be directly recording at 25 fps without any duplicate frame. Anyway, not big deal.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:16 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
You are right, but maybe a better implementation would be directly recording at 25 fps without any duplicate frame. Anyway, not big deal.
I'd much rather have the full 30 fps in normal outdoor light (spoken by someone used to a nominal 30 fps on TV, however!)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:23 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
You are right again, my message wasn't too clear. I want to say 25fps in low light conditions.
I am sure for your tastes better is 60fps but also we must think that the camera is not recording in very good quality compared with some big camera, with big lens which is recording 720p.
I have Sanyo VPC CG-10 with 720p recording and when my 808 will arrive I can shoot with both camera same time to show the differences.
720p is not always High Definition, can be just a resolution like we see at some upscaling models.

I didn't read too much the topics about 808's but maybe somebody said that is possible to make 3D videos using 2 x808 at the same time.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Where can I buy one of these cams with everything already done tweaked an ready to record some video strait out of the box?...
schusterjo is offline Find More Posts by schusterjo
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:23 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schusterjo View Post
Where can I buy one of these cams with everything already done tweaked an ready to record some video strait out of the box?...
Read through the First 5 or so posts to get an Idea of exactly what you want.
Choose one of the 'approved' (by the makers) ebay sellers listed there in. (they do combos with sd card etc).
Email them to ask them to flash the latest firmware.
Pay & wait for post.
All the listed sellers have proved to provide super service, and are willing to talk to you.
Mike
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Read through the First 5 or so posts to get an Idea of exactly what you want.
Choose one of the 'approved' (by the makers) ebay sellers listed there in. (they do combos with sd card etc).
Email them to ask them to flash the latest firmware.
Pay & wait for post.
All the listed sellers have proved to provide super service, and are willing to talk to you.
Mike
Thanks...
schusterjo is offline Find More Posts by schusterjo
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2009
433 Posts
Video shot with my #11 camera this morning in North East England. It was early on and the wind was minimal. Video was edited for upload with Videostudio Pro x4.

http://youtu.be/l8z-bLIiBUI?hd=1
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Nice video!

Looks like you were wearing a tracking 808 cam on your hat?
rcJosh is offline Find More Posts by rcJosh
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Audio Enhancement

I have re-posted my reply to mrudin's audio enhancement post.
(original post was in the #16 cam thread, but contains parts that relate to both cameras.)

I haven't heard of anyone else attempting this, please leave you feedback if you have tried it, or understand the Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcJosh View Post
Thanks for the post mrudin!

Has anyone tried this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrudin View Post
Hello everyone, here's my first post.
I have a #11 and #16, and they're great of course, but I noticed low-level noise on the audio recordings, so decided to do something about it. To investigate it, I listened to the audio at source, on headphones via an amplifier temporarily connected to the mic pins.

Here are two things which you can improve with some hardware modifications.

1. Microphone hum pick-up requires shielding.

The microphone capsule is quite sensitive to external electric fields, e.g. allowing it to pick up hum from mains wiring, and possibly other electrical noise such as from car ignition. Also if powered from an ungrounded wall-wart, the whole camera floats at a fairly high ac voltage wrt ground, so the mic sees an ac field from any grounded material nearby.

The sensitivity is due to the electret diaphragm being exposed through a fairly large hole (hidden behind a felt disc). The cure is to add an electrostatic shield over the hole. I fixed a small piece of wire mesh over the felt disc, electrically connected to the capsule's negative terminal (which is connected to the capsule's aluminium case). Note this is not connected to the camera 'ground'; it is biassed at a small positive voltage.
By the way, this is probably a more localised equivalent of the 'wrapping in foil' described on 11/11/11 in post #7677.

Here are photos of the fix using a bundle of wires from the braid of a coax cable:
Attachment 4659640

2. Digital noise on audio requires component changes.

On the #11, the mic bias filter is very ineffective, allowing noise from the mic bias voltage source (in the NT96632 chip) to get into the mic inputs. This noise includes wideband white noise, plus beeps and clicks. People have mentioned "audio buzzing" on the #11 especially when the battery is low, but it is still there at a low level even when the battery is full.
On the #16, there is less bias source noise, and it doesn't get louder at low battery, but there is still a digital chirping noise audible with the playback volume turned up full (e.g. see post #2697).

Tracing out the mic circuitry, I can see that the mic bias arrangements are approximately as shown here:
Attachment 4659639

There's a direct connection from the NT96632 via a 0R link to the decoupling capacitor, so there's very limited filtering. To reduce the noise, replace the series resistor (0R) with about 1k (I used 1k2). This is an 0402 size, so quite fiddly to replace.

Attachment 4659638Attachment 4659637

I've found that the resistor change gives enough improvement on the #16, but on the #11 it is possible to improve it further by replacing the 8.2uF capacitor (which is on the other side of the board from the photos), or adding in parallel, as big a capacitor as will fit. I added a 100uF (4V) X5R ceramic.

I have to wonder why the hardware developers put in 0R at R36, when it can be used for filtering? It might be due to some advice in the (unavailable) NT96632 datasheet or app notes, but even so in practice about 1k here does improve things a lot.

Hope that helps someone!
Mike

I tried my hand at the shielding to see if I could reduce interference.

I didn't have any success with the filter screen Mod.
In fact, I used too much heat with my soldering iron and I think I weakened the mic, so it had a low gain when I was thru, but no noticeable improvement in signal / noise ratio

However, instead of the Coax braiding, I simply used stranded wire . . .
Would the braiding make a difference here? (aluminum vs. copper?)

I'm interested in trying your "Digital noise" solution

Thanks for the Pic that identifies the tiny resistor, but can you provide an ID for the capacitor?

Anyone who has an idea, or who has experienced the same issue, I'd love to hear your advice, (although this is a #11 so I could also move over to that thread for this . . .)

Concerning the sound Mod:

Wouldn't a smaller diameter electret mic provide the same advantages as shielding?
(are the smaller ones lower quality?)

Can you help me ID the correct Capacitor to upgrade?
(mrudin or anyone who has tried it)

Thanks!
rcJosh is offline Find More Posts by rcJosh
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcJosh View Post
Nice video!

Looks like you were wearing a tracking 808 cam on your hat?
Yep mounted on the peak with some velcro seems to work a treat.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Sep 2009
433 Posts
Might be slightly off topic here but I will heading to central Florida soon for a few weeks from England. Are there any of you RC aerial video guys around the Kissimmee (Osceola) area as it would be really nice to hook up with like minded peeps during my visit there?

Bill
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
I just received two #11s that I purchased 29 days ago from hxelepro360. As an electronics engineer I'm pleased with the quality of manufacture.

I notice they are now gluing down the crystals to stop them moving and shorting on adjacent components.
MikeWarren is offline Find More Posts by MikeWarren
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,713 Posts
Did you guys know you can use two cams about eye distance apart and make 3D flight videos ? They can be viewed with 3D glasses or the cross eye trick. There are links on the web for learning how to do 3D imaging, it's easy.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Did you guys know you can use two cams about eye distance apart and make 3D flight videos ? They can be viewed with 3D glasses or the cross eye trick. There are links on the web for learning how to do 3D imaging, it's easy.
And it's already been demonstrated here... I've done it, but thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
And it's already been demonstrated here, I think... I've done it, but thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,713 Posts
I'll look around for 'em then.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:22 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
I'll look around for 'em then.
I might have posted the (unintentional) steroe pairs doing test with the #16 camera, so the side by side videos might be in that thread. I have too many threads going... I forget which is which.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:28 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts

Distinction between Managers and Engineers :-
Engineers learn more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.
Managers learn less and less about more and more until they know nothing about everything.
Mike
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,713 Posts
There is a still aerial photo of an amusement park on the funny pictures forum, and it looks great, thought a video would be spectacular. You need to click on the parl thumbnail thenclick on the first expansion to get it full screen then CTRL + 2 times to expand the smaller than optimim photo. It's a cross eye 3d, no glasses needed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...36178&page=386
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:17 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
This Thai seller of micro cameras (gadgets2u.net) sent me this information about the #11. I think he is saying that new #11 cameras will come with the micro USB connector instead of the mini USB connector. FYI, the micro USB connector has become the world standard way of charging cell phones and is now a European requirement. http://engt.co/gsOkOH
Quote:
... one more adding detail OF #11. For #11 808 has been changed mini usb port to smaller (same size as #18). But Jumbo #11 did not change (still use old one)
Normandy5 is offline Find More Posts by Normandy5
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandy5 View Post
This Thai seller of micro cameras (gadgets2u.net) sent me this information about the #11. I think he is saying that new #11 cameras will come with the micro USB connector instead of the mini USB connector. FYI, the micro USB connector has become the world standard way of charging cell phones and is now a European requirement. http://engt.co/gsOkOH

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the update. For me, this falls into the "change for the sake of change" category as far as the cameras are concerned. The mini USB works just fine and is not so oversized that it needs to change to the micro version, even in the tiny 808 case. I have a #18 on the way... didn't know it comes with a micro plug, though. I hope they send the charge cable with it! I have some micro-USB cell phone chargers, but many of them have internal connections making them for proprietary use (i.e. must use phone manufacturer's cable with their phone).
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:00 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Help with camera issue

I've searched high and low, spending hours trying to find out what the problem is with my keychain cam's videos. Let me try to explain:

I made an aerial video, but when I open up the mov. file to play the movie, the video has a mess of colored lines and pixels pulsing and making it unwatchable.

When I open it in Windows Live Movie Maker for editing, it plays just fine and looks great. As soon as it's saved as a wmv. file, the psychadelic lines and pixels are back again. Anyone know why this is happening?

This is making it impossible to upload a good video to Vimeo. I'm only able to enjoy the video by watching it in Movie Maker. Thanks.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:20 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchank View Post
I've searched high and low, spending hours trying to find out what the problem is with my keychain cam's videos. Let me try to explain:

I made an aerial video, but when I open up the mov. file to play the movie, the video has a mess of colored lines and pixels pulsing and making it unwatchable.

When I open it in Windows Live Movie Maker for editing, it plays just fine and looks great. As soon as it's saved as a wmv. file, the psychadelic lines and pixels are back again. Anyone know why this is happening?

This is making it impossible to upload a good video to Vimeo. I'm only able to enjoy the video by watching it in Movie Maker. Thanks.
WLMM will "dumb down" some HD video by first doing an internal re-encoding using a much reduced bit rate. This makes the video play smoother in the editor, though the quality suffers. The normal bit rate is restored when the file is output, however.

What program are you using to view the video? Sounds like your PC resources are being over-taxed. Have you tried playing it with the VLC player... it often plays OK when others don't. Have you actually uploaded a file to see how it looks on Vimeo?
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:17 AM
I used to like trees
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
WLMM will "dumb down" some HD video by first doing an internal re-encoding using a much reduced bit rate. This makes the video play smoother in the editor, though the quality suffers. The normal bit rate is restored when the file is output, however.

What program are you using to view the video? Sounds like your PC resources are being over-taxed. Have you tried playing it with the VLC player... it often plays OK when others don't. Have you actually uploaded a file to see how it looks on Vimeo?
Tom, Thank you for the response. I haven't uploaded to Vimeo to see how it looks yet. I just assumed it would look as bad as the wmv. does on my computer. I'll try it tonight. I have probably the slowest DSL connection on the planet so I thought I would see if I was missing something else before I did an upload. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Can this cam be used for FPV using the AV out?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Newest-...ht_5588wt_1156

Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Can this cam be used for FPV using the AV out?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Newest-...ht_5588wt_1156

Jim
The developer claims it can output composite video while it is also recording 720p video. I should have a #18 in my hands tomorrow or the next day to confirm. There is a separate thread I started when this camera was first announced, but I may start a new one on it to reserve some up-front posts for key information, FAQs, etc. where it can be easily found. But since I do not fly FPV, others who do will need to answers those questions.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:51 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,582 Posts
Tom,
Wow this is big news! You will be flying FPV soon with your FF multicopter Any idea if this is a hardware (besides the USB video out cable) or firmware change to the #11 or #16, or is this really a different #18 with a confusing EBay title??
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
The developer claims it can output composite video while it is also recording 720p video. I should have a #18 in my hands tomorrow or the next day to confirm. There is a separate thread I started when this camera was first announced, but I may start a new one on it to reserve some up-front posts for key information, FAQs, etc. where it can be easily found. But since I do not fly FPV, others who do will need to answers those questions.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Tom,
Wow this is big news! You will be flying FPV soon with your FF multicopter Any idea if this is a hardware (besides the USB video out cable) or firmware change to the #11 or #16, or is this really a different #18 with a confusing EBay title??
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
It's both hardware and FW change to the #11, NOT the #16. It is supposed to have plugs for the battery and CMOS cable, but the USB plug is supposed to be a micro, not a mini. The video GPU has to be the same since both the #11 and #18 reportedly can run the same firmware, but you first must upload new boot code into the #11 (done by simply copying the file onto the flash card and turning it on). Then load in the #18 FW by the same method. This might get you the loop recording mode the #18 has (don't know yet) and any color changes (maybe no more shifting colors?), but certainly not the video out, which requires hardware changes. I serious doubt the #11 can be upgraded in that respect (someone will surely ask).

Mine should arrive tomorrow according to the tracking info. Moe can be confirmed then.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:53 PM
I used to like trees
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Tom, Thank you for the response. I haven't uploaded to Vimeo to see how it looks yet. I just assumed it would look as bad as the wmv. does on my computer. I'll try it tonight. I have probably the slowest DSL connection on the planet so I thought I would see if I was missing something else before I did an upload. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Well I uploaded the video to Vimeo and sure enough it looks like crap Colored lines, pixels and flashes make it unwatchable. Maybe something on the plane caused the video to turn out like this.(ESC?) I'll try the camera on a different plane when I get a chance.

I tested the camera on the ground when I first got it and it worked just fine.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Well I uploaded the video to Vimeo and sure enough it looks like crap Colored lines, pixels and flashes make it unwatchable. Maybe something on the plane caused the video to turn out like this.(ESC?) I'll try the camera on a different plane when I get a chance.

I tested the camera on the ground when I first got it and it worked just fine.
You said you could view the video in the WLMM editor and it looked fine, so the native video is not corrupted. Or is it now? Have you tried using a different editor to test this, like AviDemux (free download). Does the native video play OK with the VLC player? Do you have a link to the video you just uploaded to Vimeo?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:41 PM
I used to like trees
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
You said you could view the video in the WLMM editor and it looked fine, so the native video is not corrupted. Or is it now? Have you tried using a different editor to test this, like AviDemux (free download). Does the native video play OK with the VLC player? Do you have a link to the video you just uploaded to Vimeo?
Native video from #11 camera (mov.) was bad. Haven't used AviDemux or played video with VLC player. Video below:

https://vimeo.com/39604292
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Native video from #11 camera (mov.) was bad. Haven't used AviDemux or played video with VLC player. Video below:

https://vimeo.com/39604292
This prior post of yours says it plays fine in the WLMM editor, but not when played externally. This tells me thet native video is not corrupted, at least the one involved during that trial. WLMM can't make a corrupted video look better. What COULD explain it is your hardware is having a problem with the camera's bit rate or codec (h.264) when playing the native file. As I said, WLMM will often re-encode internally while editing to lower the bit rate for faster processing of edits, but then jack it back up in the final output.

Vimeo seems to be down right now, so I can't download the one you uploaded. I'd like to see a native file directly off your camera with no editing.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 02, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:05 PM
I used to like trees
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
This prior post of yours says it plays fine in the WLMM editor, but not when played externally. This tells me thet native video is not corrupted, at least the one involved during that trial. WLMM can't make a corrupted video look better. What COULD explain it is your hardware is having a problem with the camera's bit rate or codec (h.264) when playing the native file. As I said, WLMM will often re-encode internally while editing to lower the bit rate for faster processing of edits, but then jack it back up in the final output.

Vimeo seems to be down right now, so I can't download the one you uploaded. I'd like to see a native file directly off your camera with no editing.
I sure appreciate your help. That explanation makes sense. I'll be out of town for awhile and won't be able to get this sorted out until I get back. Thanks again.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
Mine should arrive tomorrow according to the tracking info. Moe can be confirmed then.
Is the priest OK with you putting off Moe's confirmation until then?

Actually I'm really looking forward to you getting your mitts on an #18 Tom, as your opinion on it is the one that counts on this forum.
I burned my #11 and I've been waiting to hear about the "#1080" and the #18 as a possible replacement.
I favour those because of the demountable battery, which should allow me to experiment with powering the unit from the model.

Also I like the long ribboned (demountable) lens. I'm looking at the possibility of swinging it round and mounting it to point backwards (upside down) over the top of the case. This would allow me to mount the camera itself upside down on the bottom of my quad and have access to the controls, while the image would be right side up.

BTW do you know if the #1080 and/or the #18 allow taking stills in a timed sequence (5 seconds)?

PS. If you give any more feedback/suggestions to the manufacturers, an upside down lens option would make life easier.
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Last edited by docinfrance; Apr 03, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: PS'ed
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docinfrance View Post
Is the priest OK with you putting off Moe's confirmation until then?

Actually I'm really looking forward to you getting your mitts on an #18 Tom, as your opinion on it is the one that counts on this forum.
I burned my #11 and I've been waiting to hear about the "#1080" and the #18 as a possible replacement.
I favour those because of the demountable battery, which should allow me to experiment with powering the unit from the model.

Also I like the long ribboned (demountable) lens. I'm looking at the possibility of swinging it round and mounting it to point backwards (upside down) over the top of the case. This would allow me to mount the camera itself upside down on the bottom of my quad and have access to the controls, while the image would be right side up.

BTW do you know if the #1080 and/or the #18 allow taking stills in a timed sequence (5 seconds)?

PS. If you give any more feedback/suggestions to the manufacturers, an upside down lens option would make life easier.
I just received the #18 yesterday and am still testing, but I'll not comment in the #11 thread. There's a #18 thread I started, but I will probably shut it down now that I have the camera, and start a new thread with some posts up front reserved for key info like my other threads on the other cameras.

FWIW, any of these cameras can be easily modded with a plug for the battery, of course. The plugged CMOS module is certainly not, though! I don't act as a conduit for user suggestions to the developer, though... I rely on them to monitor the threads for user feedback.

Rotating the recorded image can be easily done in firmware, but would need user toggles like the #16 or separate firmware like the #11 (the #18 is like the latetr, and the ribbon cable is too short to physically rotate the CMOS module for inverted image recording.

These small 808 style cameras take pretty poor still images, so I think an auto sequence for recording them would be a waste of effort. better to just shoot video and save individual frames afterward... they are much sharper. The #1080 is a different story, and takes great stills, but right now that's all it does. The video has some major issues that have not been corrected.

Why have you not considered the #16 as a possible replacement? It's much more versatile than the #11, and the same price.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:40 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
I just received the #18 yesterday and am still testing, but I'll not comment in the #11 thread. There's a #18 thread I started, but I will probably shut it down now that I have the camera, and start a new thread
Soon as you get that thread running could you post/pm me a link please?

Quote:
Why have you not considered the #16 as a possible replacement? It's much more versatile than the #11, and the same price.
My #11 died just as the #18 came to my attention, so I want to check that out first.

Do you think the camera ribbon might turn over if I got rid of the case on the #18?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docinfrance View Post
Soon as you get that thread running could you post/pm me a link please?

My #11 died just as the #18 came to my attention, so I want to check that out first.

Do you think the camera ribbon might turn over if I got rid of the case on the #18?
I'll post in the existing #18 thread. Subscribe to that one with auto-email option in your user setup options, and you'll get an email when anything new is posted.

No the ribbon cable is way too short to rotate the lens 180 deg. But you could make a male to female ribbon cable with compatible plugs and simply invert the plug on one end to reverse all the wires to invert the recorded image, but I doubt it will fit in the existing case then. Why not just invert the video with an editor after recording? Or, invert the camera when the video is being recorded?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:13 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
I'll post in the existing #18 thread. Subscribe to that one with auto-email option in your user setup options, and you'll get an email when anything new is posted.

No the ribbon cable is way too short to rotate the lens 180 deg. But you could make a male to female ribbon cable with compatible plugs and simply invert the plug on one end to reverse all the wires to invert the recorded image, but I doubt it will fit in the existing case then. Why not just invert the video with an editor after recording? Or, invert the camera when the video is being recorded?
Thanks Tom
I was kind of hoping the long ribbon would turn over as my laptop takes an age to convert video or. If I were to try and invert it too I'd end up leaving it running overnight (if it didn't crash).
Think I'll look for a less memory hungry app.
What I've been doing is mounting the #11 on top of my quad, but I want to mount it underneath, which presents the problem of accessing the buttons on the camera on a low profile quad.

I could never get my #11 to trigger video when it got sound input like I could with my old stick cam.

I might go #1080 now as I've played with video and want to try HD stills now.
Closed Thread