Closed Thread
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I guess you were able to keep the plane visible... sure looked like it disappeared into the fog bank several times!

I'm finding with two different lenses (one stock and one just a tick wider AOV (70 deg.) on the #16 camera that the IR coating on the lens must also be a big factor. Identical firmware in identical #16 cameras renders the color very noticeably different with the two lenses. And it changes as the light intensity changes.
Sometimes it was barely visible to my eyes, like a shadow, and at those times the camera could not resolve any detail. I kept it as close as possible, just to check it out.

Yeah, maybe the coatings have an effect, possibly not uniform across the frame.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
The pink spot in the video above may be a creation of YouTube for the video thumbnail. I find nothing like that in any of the individual frames. I'll upload to Vimeo to see how that looks.
Last edited by victapilot; Jan 11, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Im noticing that the extreme edges on both sides of the frame have light falloff and are a little less sharp.....is that normal
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Im noticing that the extreme edges on both sides of the frame have light falloff and are a little less sharp.....is that normal
The light falloff (a.k.a. vignetting) is normal. The focus usually is very slightly less defined there as well, but if the lens is properly focused, it should be pretty good at the edges, too.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:21 AM
808 lover
Espaņa, CT, Barcelona
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Here's another video #11 cam with HK Wing lens.

Hot spot (pink) must be cmos (or not!), did not have that with the Wing cam, but no vignetting compared to #11 original lens.
BTW the hotspot is less visible when the video is played, don't know why. After looking at the video frame by frame, I see no frames with pink spot. It seems that it was created by YouTube for the title frame. (thumbnail)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx96...e_gdata_player

Here's Vimeo, not so pink

http://vimeo.com/34933521
I know why it's that.

It's because if youtube find that the miniature picture on the video is too dark and not much visible, it will automatically increase the brightness and maybe the saturation too.

Try to upload a dark video and you will see that the thumbnail is way brighter than the real video.
kasuno is offline Find More Posts by kasuno
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Jan 2008
5 Posts
I'm using this camera for class at school - to record lectures (with permission, of course) given by professors who cover more material than I can capture by pen & paper.

Today, I did a side-by-side comparison of the end of one clip, and the beginning of the next, to see how much gap there is... about 3 seconds. That's more than acceptable, especially given the 50 min between-gaps interval. But, what really stumped me is the different field of view.

The camera was attached to the desk behind me with velcro. It most certainly DID NOT move. Yet, the endpoint of the left video shows the camera pointed more to the left. The beginning of the next segment (right image) looks like the camera was moved to the right. Notice the chair in the foreground, or the girl/podium on the left...

The video properties for both clips are identical (I can provide a screen grab if requested as well).

Does anyone know what would cause a shift like this? It's not critical, but, lining up a descent shot is hard enough without 'electronic' shifting of the video center mid-recording...
erkme73 is offline Find More Posts by erkme73
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
I would check the last frame of the first clip with first frame of the second clip. Velcro slowly releases some of the hooks, I can hear that when I use the cam on my cap, so maybe the camera crept slowly sideways??
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2008
5 Posts
Victapilot - the screen grab is just that. The last frame of the first clip is on the left, the first frame of the second clip is on the right. There was zero movement for the entire duration of both clips - so the odds that it moved in the short 3-second window where wasn't recording, is rather unlikely, IMHO. Although, I can't come up with any other explanation...

What I'm thinking is if the sensor on the camera is actually 1400 x 800 (hypothetically), but due to quality control (say the outside margins of the sensor are imperfect), cropping, and software limitations, the recorded image only utilizes 1280x720, then there is data that is normally 'disposed'. If something happens that causes the 'center point' of that cropped image to move slightly each time a recording is stopped/started, the the field of view would change marginally. I'm grasping at straws...

[edited to add] I just check several other lectures where there were multiple segments, and none of them had any shift between the end of one clip and the beginning of the other. So, perhaps you're right. The odds of that movement to occur precisely during those three seconds just seems unbelievable. Perhaps I should play the lottery tonight...
erkme73 is offline Find More Posts by erkme73
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Sorry, I realized that you already did do what I suggested, but I had already hit the send button.

It looks to me that the second image is zoomed in a bit, look at the left edge of the whiteboard and the size of the speaker box. I'll try to duplicate with mine.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Is there a way to adjust the focus or is it set in stone? : )
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Quote:
See my note here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8296

I picked out the glue with a #11 hobby knife and then twisted it anticlockwise while gripping the receptacle. Some people have ruined the camera doing this, but mine came out ok. Then just adjust focus by rotating
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
[edited to add] I just check several other lectures where there were multiple segments, and none of them had any shift between the end of one clip and the beginning of the other. So, perhaps you're right. The odds of that movement to occur precisely during those three seconds just seems unbelievable. Perhaps I should play the lottery tonight...

I tested mine, taped to a vice on my workbench, rock solid between clips too. I did like your technical explanation though

I was hoping you had discovered a new and hidden feature that we could use!!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
What I'm thinking is if the sensor on the camera is actually 1400 x 800 (hypothetically), but due to quality control (say the outside margins of the sensor are imperfect), cropping, and software limitations, the recorded image only utilizes 1280x720, then there is data that is normally 'disposed'. If something happens that causes the 'center point' of that cropped image to move slightly each time a recording is stopped/started, the the field of view would change marginally. I'm grasping at straws...

The CMOS has 1280x800 visible recorded area... no way for any over-scan. Was there anyone sitting behind you that might have bumped the camera? It has to have moved, somehow.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Yes there is... did you read the FAQs?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:02 PM
Nelson B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2003
213 Posts
Disable auto shut down, photo mode?

Hi!

I would like to use this #11 cam to take photos I was thinking of using a servo to trigger the shutter. The problem is in photo mode the auto shut down is active. This is my camera from Toms post #2

1 - Is there any way to disable the auto shut down? pic, hardwire, software, walkaround.

2 - Could you use a pic to trigger a servo say every xx seconds and still be able to be triggered by Tx?

I found this thread helpfull, but not quit sure how to apply to this camera, thats why I thought of a servo.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144896

All help appreciated. Thanks Mike
flyboy1001e is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1001e
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Comments in your post below in bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1001e View Post
Hi!

I would like to use this #11 cam to take photos I was thinking of using a servo to trigger the shutter. The problem is in photo mode the auto shut down is active. This is my camera from Toms post #2

1 - Is there any way to disable the auto shut down? pic, hardwire, software, walkaround.
There's no way I know of other than a firmware modifcation, but the developer's focus now is on their #16 camera, which evolved from the #11 and has MANY user toggles available without changing the firmware, with four choices for the timed auto-shutoff function, one of which is to disable it!

2 - Could you use a pic to trigger a servo say every xx seconds and still be able to be triggered by Tx?
Probably, but it's easier to get a ready-made remote activated switch, triggered by a spare RX channel, that is wired across the two legs of the switch that close when the shutter button is activated. There are pics of the switch contacts posted in this thread... you may need to search on some key words to find them... not sure if I put a link in the FAQs for this. But if you want timed photos, then some additional device would be needed to handle the regular interval timing. But having said all that, the photo mode of the #11 is NOT good... it's a large upscaled image from the native resolution (1200x800 pixel) CMOS sensor, so there is very obvious blurring of the image. I've found it much better to just shoot the normal video, then play it back and go through frame by frame in the portions that have the subject you want to find the sharpest image, and just do a frame capture of that into a bmp, jpg, or whatever format you choose.

FWIW, the #16 still photos are captured at 1280 x 960 resolution, so it's a very slightly enlarged native resolution image to fill the vertical height from 800 to 960 pixels without stretching the image vertically out of proper aspect ratio. MUCH better still photos than the #11! AND, you can also snap frame captures WHILE RECORDING as well (requires brief contact of both power and shutter buttons, though, so not that easily implemented remotely)

I found this thread helpfull, but not quit sure how to apply to this camera, thats why I thought of a servo.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144896

All help appreciated. Thanks Mike
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 12, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I've been using Virtual Dub.
I find it takes the 364Mb .avi file from the 808 camera and makes it over 3.99 Gb as an .avi file.
And it's truncated at 4.1 Gb.. and it's 94 seconds shorter.
Why is this?
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I've been using Virtual Dub.
I find it takes the 364Mb .avi file from the 808 camera and makes it over 3.99 Gb as an .avi file.
And it's truncated at 4.1 Gb.. and it's 94 seconds shorter.
Why is this?
I assume (hope) you are talking about the #11HD camera video since that is all we discuss here... there are about 15 different cameras with the "808" key chain style, so that doesn't tell me much. There is a thread (The "mega key chain camera" thread where all the low res 808 cameras are discussed. And since the #11 does not record in AVI format, so you must be referring to a different camera or are using a video already re-encoded in AVI format.

You probably have the video compression set to "uncompressed", so it takes each highly compressed frame from the native video, decodes it to a full (and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH larger) uncompressed .bmp image, then outputs the video in that format. Huge files are the result. You need to select a codec for re-encoding to a new compressed video. H.264 produces the smallest files, but you need to get access to it. See the FAQ editing tips for details.

I don't understand your comment about truncating it at 4.1GB Unless you trimmed off some of the original, you should not lose any video. And if you did not change the frame rate, it should play back in the same amount of time.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 12, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
Nelson B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2003
213 Posts
Disable the auto shut down

Thanks Tom

I'll use your suggestion of running in video mode and capture pic from video. I have a #16 coming I hope the new camera will support continuous recording in photo mode. It would be nice to have a tiny still camera,but if it does'nt will use the above method.

Mike

Quote:
Comments in your post below in bold.
flyboy1001e is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1001e
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:15 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
I assume (hope) you are talking about the #11HD camera video since that is all we discuss here... there are about 15 different cameras with the "808" key chain style, so that doesn't tell me much. There is a thread (The "mega key chain camera" thread where all the low res 808 cameras are discussed. And since the #11 does not record in AVI format, so you must be referring to a different camera or are using a video already re-encoded in AVI format.

You probably have the video compression set to "uncompressed", so it takes each highly compressed frame from the native video, decodes it to a full (and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH larger) uncompressed .bmp image, then outputs the video in that format. Huge files are the result. You need to select a codec for re-encoding to a new compressed video. H.264 produces the smallest files, but you need to get access to it. See the FAQ editing tips for details.

I don't understand your comment about truncating it at 4.1GB Unless you trimmed off some of the original, you should not lose any video. And if you did not change the frame rate, it should play back in the same amount of time.
The inflated file in Virtual dub is over 4Gigabytes.. like 6 or so. VD won't put out a 6Gb file; stops it at 4Gb for a single file. FAT32 limit.
Selecting the "segmented AVI" output results in 2 (or more) 2 Gb files, labeled xxxx.o1.avi, xxx.02.avi.... etc... see the VD-RAW files in the image.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1001e View Post
Thanks Tom

I'll use your suggestion of running in video mode and capture pic from video. I have a #16 coming I hope the new camera will support continuous recording in photo mode. It would be nice to have a tiny still camera,but if it does'nt will use the above method.

Mike
The #16 does not support continuous photo shooting. It is, after all, first a tiny HD camcorder. The still photo mode is a side benefit, and there are better cameras available for shooting still photos.

It seems the small size and good HD ability (which is soon to get even better!), has attracted a huge following, and many uses do not coincide with the camera's built in features. There is no one camera that has everything, and neither will this one, but for shooting aerial video, this is the best HD camera that can be flown on just about any RC plane that flies. No other camera has that ability!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:10 AM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
Haven't had much onboard view recording for some time while I've been busy on my brushless upgrade and practice flipping. Yesterday came across the kite-flying guy from last time so I stickied-taped my #11 to the underside of the canopy for some onboard footage. The bird had a dreaded wobble which I kind of fixed today. Made some more high-flying and surprised to see that my little bird can even flip and hover inverted with the #11 cam weighing almost a quarter of its weight!

mCPx High Flying and Flip with onboard 808 #11 HD keychain cam (5 min 21 sec)

IMO, youtube has gone much further since this thread first started. It can do 720p and 1080p videos and even post-process video with image stabilization. I'm usually not a fan of video/photo post-processing but this stabilization feature seems interesting. See if you like the stabilized version of above clip below. I find it cool at first but then it seems like by interpolating frames it takes out quite some details in the image. Let us know what you think!

mCPx High Flying and Flip with onboard cam [stabilized ver] (5 min 21 sec)
Race Miata is offline Find More Posts by Race Miata
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:23 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Miata View Post
See if you like the stabilized version of above clip below. I find it cool at first but then it seems like by interpolating frames it takes out quite some details in the image. Let us know what you think!
I can't see any noticeable difference! With that much wild motion, stabilization can't tell when to try and stabilize and when not to. It's more suitable for smoothing out very small motion, like minor shakes and movement by a handheld camera. Wild aerial videos are beyond help...the artifacts introduced by stabilization can be just as visually detracting or annoying as the unstabilized video to my eye.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:11 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
The YouTube stabilizer has settings from 1 (mild) to 10 (max).
The second half of this is at 10. Seems to work, but zooms in to hide the edge shake, and is more blurred.

The free YouTube editor is worth trying for folks that don't want to invest in high end computers

Heli view "stabilized" Youtube editor (0 min 23 sec)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:39 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
The second half of this is at 10. Seems to work, but zooms in to hide the edge shake, and is more blurred.

The free YouTube editor is worth trying for folks that don't want to invest in high end computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcW...e_gdata_player
Aha... maybe that's why I didn't see any change in the other video?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: rephrased for different video clip
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Haven't had much onboard view recording for some time while I've been busy on my brushless upgrade and practice flipping. Yesterday came across the kite-flying guy from last time so I stickied-taped my #11 to the underside of the canopy for some onboard footage. The bird had a dreaded wobble which I kind of fixed today. Made some more high-flying and surprised to see that my little bird can even flip and hover inverted with the #11 cam weighing almost a quarter of its weight!

Couldja post an image of your installation?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:

Just tried that Youtube enhancer on one of my heli videos.. appears to improve the color also.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
The YouTube stabilizer has settings from 1 (mild) to 10 (max)
Hmmm... where do you get the 1-10 settings? I don't see it. I do the stabilization on the page triggered by "Edit Video" button on the video page.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
Couldja post an image of your installation?
Sorry I have the cam removed from the heli at the moment. Installation is straightforward. I have the keychain covers removed as always. Sticky-taped the battery to the cam's PCB, whether I use it as onboard cam or cap-brim cam. For onboard cam, I just sticky-taped it to the underside of the canopy with a piece of foam sandwiched between.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Just tried that Youtube enhancer on one of my heli videos.. appears to improve the color also.
But it also zooms in, blurring it and losing part of your scene with the decreased field of view.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
I can't see any noticeable difference!
If you refer to my clips, try watching the stabilized version a bit before going back to the original version and you'll probably notice that you get to see more details in the original version.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
But it also zooms in, blurring it and losing part of your scene with the decreased field of view.
Yeah, I think that's the main reason causing the loss of details.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm... where do you get the 1-10 settings? I don't see it. I do the stabilization on the page triggered by "Edit Video" button on the video page.
Access the editor by typing YouTube.com/editor
You may need to sign in
You will then be at the timeline page
Select a clip and click on the top right to add it to the timeline
Put the arrow or hand on the clip to pop up some editing options
Click on the magic wand
Then you get the screen shown below with sliders for options including stabilize.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
Ah, I've never initiated editor that way. Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Ah, I've never initiated editor that way. Thanks!
Yeah, not easy to access, but its free!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:40 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Landing at Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport (KCHO)

The #11 hat cam:

XC Landing at Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport (KCHO) (4 min 1 sec)
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:27 AM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
One last dry day for flying before the cold/rain/snow come. Cleaned the servos so no more wobble.

Original clip
mCPx More High-Flying and Flipping (5 min 24 sec)

Still trying out youtube's "stabilize" feature. I think it loses too much details and I probably won't use it from now on. Convince me otherwise.
mCPx More High-Flying and Flipping [stabilized version] (5 min 24 sec)

Was having so much fun with the onboard cam I decided to use the roll of trees on the sidewalk as a slalom course. I started off slow but figured it would be more fun if I flew faster and tighter thru' the course. I was planning to walk alongside but by the 2nd tree I couldn't keep up and misjudged distance. I thought I cleared the tree and started banking. Bam! It hit right on, blade vs tree! Canopy (with onboard cam sticky-taped to the bottom) totally ejected and flew 3 ft away. One blade was broken in halves. Everything else damaged bent back in place.
mCPx Blade Vs Tree (0 min 50 sec)
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:57 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,360 Posts
Oops! We've all been there. I recently sheared off the top wing of my biplane thinking I was past a hanging power line when, in fact, I wasn't.

Here's a short video of my Radian with onboard #11 and wide angle lens.

Radian Onboard Video - Sunday Afternoon at the Flying Field (2 min 15 sec)
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:52 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Nice video Mclarkson! Very clear.

@race miata, the stabilzation might work from a hover, but will have a hard time while both shaking and panning. Some of the high end deshakers allow you to identify key features to stabilize, such as the goal posts in a football game, the highlights will then be kept steady even if the camera shakes.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Still trying out youtube's "stabilize" feature. I think it loses too much details and I probably won't use it from now on. Convince me otherwise.
I agree with you so won't try to convince you otherwise. And as your video shows, stabilization does not work to fix the vibration-induced "jello" waves. It cannot work, because it only shifts around and zooms entire frames to try and keep portions in one spot. The vibration waves are built into each frame image by the camera's rolling shutter, and are constantly moving as well. They can't be removed by the deshaking frame shifting magic.

p.s. I loved the slalom video!

p.p.s. Your weather is now reaching
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:15 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Blue skies at Triple Tree today for the Frosty Dog fly-in! #11 cam with 120deg HK lens

Frosty Dog - Shrike Ride (3 min 7 sec)
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
Flying over white stuff

After a night of mild light snow, the sun came out today! Couldn't pass up this flying opportunity over the white stuff. Said to myself "don't land on the white stuff". Turned out it was quite windy (32km/h wind) and it blew my bird out of orientation and crashed. Ironically, it was the white stuff that cushioned the fall. Time to dismantle and clean up my bird.

Video is still uploading but don't get too excited. Image is quite wavy. Unfortunately, the attached screenshots might be more pleasant to watch.

EDIT: Video ready.

mCPx Flying Over White Stuff Blown Out by Gust (4 min 23 sec)
Last edited by Race Miata; Jan 14, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I put one of mine on the S032. Lifts it nicely. Took it outside, but a low battery plummet from 50' broke the camera. Sob!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Nice video Mclarkson! Very clear.

@race miata, the stabilzation might work from a hover, but will have a hard time while both shaking and panning. Some of the high end deshakers allow you to identify key features to stabilize, such as the goal posts in a football game, the highlights will then be kept steady even if the camera shakes.
CMOS scanning is the culprit. Line by line, starting at the top of the image.
Each line could be readjusted to eliminate the waves........ I crack me up!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:33 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Blue skies at Triple Tree today for the Frosty Dog fly-in! #11 cam with 120deg HK lens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRW_Stqt2jc
I'd buy that camera. The 30° field of view of the standard lens just sucks!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I flattened the lower case on the 808 to get a nice base for it to rest on, instead of building a support to position it. (belt sander)
And found using the flattened base only was good for keeping the lens stable, when the top of the camera was removed for weight purposes.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
HK 120 Lens??

Where do you get this lens and how difficult is it to install? This 30 degrees is nonsense. My last cam was 46 degrees and that was even a little small.

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRW_Stqt2jc
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Where do you get this lens and how difficult is it to install? This 30 degrees is nonsense. My last cam was 46 degrees and that was even a little small.
What camera has a 30 deg. lens?.... not the #11. It is close to 60 deg.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:55 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Quote:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8296
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:03 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
What camera has a 30 deg. lens?.... not the #11. It is close to 60 deg.
No it ain't!
The horizontal field of view is just 30°.
Laid out a fan 20 degrees on each side, placed at 10" from the camera.
The three cameras I checked all have a 30° field of view.
The opposite corner thing which leads to a higher value is only useful for selling tvs.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
No it ain't!
The horizontal field of view is just 30°.
Laid out a fan 20 degrees on each side, placed at 10" from the camera.
The three cameras I checked all have a 30° field of view.
The opposite corner thing which leads to a higher value is only useful for selling tvs.
OK... you're referring to the horizontal field of view.... I'm referring to the AOV of the lens, which very definitely IS important, unless you don't want to see any video image in the corners of your field of view!

The AOV was tested very early on for the #11 with photo images of the tests posted. If you are so unhappy with the #11, why don't you just get the HK camera?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
I believe the lens I'm using is 120deg on the diagonal, same for the 180 deg fish eye add on from Dealextreme
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Wing lens at HK

Anyone have the link to HK for this lens? Also can I buy just the lens?

QUOTE=victapilot;20198038]The HK Wing (720p) lens has same dia and thread as the #11. I removed the lens of my #11, it was quite easy, seems to be locked with a dab of clear green Glyptal type solvent based sealer. I unscrewed it carefully, removing all traces of sealer and dirt before final removal.

The CMOS looks about the same size as the one in the HK Wing camera, so that's good. Focus is still rough, about two turns out from full in.

I hope this will have the benefits of both cams - #11 light weight (18.1g with new lens), great video processor and format, the HK lens has 120deg aov and less vignetting.

Video - still work to do, but vignetting minimal

I'm not completely done, there's a better video about 2 pages ahead. I see good focus on the right 2/3 of frame, the focus on the left 1/3 is closer. So I put near objects on the left. The reason is, I believe, that the lens receptacle is not true to the cmos, or the cmos is not flat. To fix would be risky, maybe heat the cmos receptacle with a heat gun and straighten...

#11 HK lens on E-starter (3 min 29 sec)

A better video (blue sky!) here[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
I'm not completely done, there's a better video about 2 pages ahead. I see good focus on the right 2/3 of frame, the focus on the left 1/3 is closer. So I put near objects on the left. The reason is, I believe, that the lens receptacle is not true to the cmos, or the cmos is not flat. To fix would be risky, maybe heat the cmos receptacle with a heat gun and straighten
Maybe the HK lens does not fit real snug in the CMOS base module? Can you wobble it in the holder? It wouldn't take much at all to produce the varying focus across the field of view.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
No wobble, I tweaked it a bit more since I wrote that and can live with it now!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Lens geometry

The basic lens on some 808 cameras has a 30° FOV horizontally, and all of 35° diagonally.
A 120° lens (diagonal measurement) should take in a field width of 36 " on the diagonal at 10".
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
The basic lens on some 808 cameras has a 30° FOV horizontally, and all of 35° diagonally.
A 120° lens (diagonal measurement) should take in a field width of 36 " on the diagonal at 10".
Here we are only talking about the #11 808HD camera. And this is where the lens AOV was determined.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Here we are only talking about the #11 808HD camera. And this is where the lens AOV was determined.
LORDY!
What is the difference in the lens fields of view in any of these!
GEEZ!
With the wild claims of this and that camera from all those vendors, many selling junk....
What is unique about an #11 that makes it immune to the principles illustrated?
Or the #3, the #4, the # any number at all!!!!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
LORDY!
What is the difference in the lens fields of view in any of these!
GEEZ!
With the wild claims of this and that camera from all those vendors, many selling junk....
Well that's why I'm only trying to focus on the #11 camera here. I'm testing a new 70 deg. AOV lens sent to me by the developer of the #11 (and #16 and new 1080p) camera, and I can just barely see a bit more field of view from it compared to the standard #11 lens.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Tom, can you ask the developer to use 100 degree AOV lens or something similar to the HK wing cam? Cant be too hard if HK is using them.....
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
838 Posts
All of the sudden, the video off my hd keychain cam is more pixelated than it used to be.

Is there a way to refresh the software, if that's the cause.
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Tom, can you ask the developer to use 100 degree AOV lens or something similar to the HK wing cam? Cant be too hard if HK is using them.....
Many people like the #11 just the way it is. You should consider the #16 camera, which is being tested with 90 and 120 deg. lenses in addition to the standard lens which is close to 70 deg. The #16 has evolved from the #11 with many user configurable features, along with possible lens options.

FWIW, the firmware color control can react very differently with different lenses, so it's not necessarily a plug and play option as far as image color is concerned.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
where do you get the 90 and 120 lens for the #16??
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
where do you get the 90 and 120 lens for the #16??
They are not available yet! The #16 developer is working with a lens manufacturer, so these are not lenses you can buy somewhere yet. I mentioned they are being tested. The developer will not sell junk, so they have to be tested for their visual quality and how they work with the firmware. And we know that different lenses can produce different color results with the same firmware. And the firmware for the #16 has an updated version with better color control in BETA testing right now being finalized for release. So first things first.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 16, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,631 Posts
I'm sure that the answer is somewhere in the 570+ pages of this thread, so a link will be considered as a great help!!!

I've had my #11 keycam for about four months, and then a couple of weeks ago it suddenly started 'burning out' in multiple colours on the brighter areas. It does it on two computers, and two different media players.

Anyone any idea what's causing this, or is it just b@ggered???
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:10 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I've got three more of those aggravating things coming....
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:22 PM
USA, OH, Marysville
Joined May 2010
373 Posts
I hope they will keep the firmware updated on the #11 camera. I haven't got the #16 yet but the video looks great what I have seen so far. My birthday is in February maybe I'll get a #16.
jmdlcar is offline Find More Posts by jmdlcar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Binding VLToys V212 Quadcopter
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:18 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I'm sure that the answer is somewhere in the 570+ pages of this thread, so a link will be considered as a great help!!!

I've had my #11 keycam for about four months, and then a couple of weeks ago it suddenly started 'burning out' in multiple colours on the brighter areas. It does it on two computers, and two different media players.

Anyone any idea what's causing this, or is it just b@ggered???
I get the same as you : see here

Tried all solutions - still the same

I can only think a firmware upgrade can *maybe* fix this

Won't be investing in another 808 ...
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:38 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,495 Posts
Whats the difference between #11 and #16 ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Whats the difference between #11 and #16 ?
This question has already been posted and answered, but since there was a typo in the original posting you wouldn't easily find it

I answered the question here and Giorg has a comparison chart here. Scroll down to 17. December.

You cannot set the parameters in the #11, but there are different firmware versions for the clip lengths and the timestamp being shown / not shown on the video.

The #16 parameters can be easily set with a Windows software tool, so you only need very basic computer knowledge to set the parameters.

Giorg's excellent blog should tell you everything else you want to know.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Jan 18, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Hello mates, I am writing from Spain,
# 11 has a camera like yours but I have a problem friends.
my camera is not charging the battery, the LED indicator stays red and does not go out as before.
turns on and works between and records but at 10 seconds for
the recording. olle is also a beep 'piiiiiiiiiiiiiii' when I put the charger.
you know the problem?
I come to you with something?

thanks guys.
k.taser is offline Find More Posts by k.taser
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:59 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
thanks
k.taser is offline Find More Posts by k.taser
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:29 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.taser View Post
my camera is not charging the battery, the LED indicator stays red and does not go out as before.
you know the problem?

thanks guys.
Battery is probably dead. You need to order a new one and install it. You need soldering skills.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:00 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,631 Posts
Quote:
I've had my #11 keycam for about four months, and then a couple of weeks ago it suddenly started 'burning out' in multiple colours on the brighter areas. It does it on two computers, and two different media players. Anyone any idea what's causing this, or is it just b@ggered???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
I get the same as you. Tried all solutions - still the same I can only think a firmware upgrade can *maybe* fix this Won't be investing in another 808 ...
Dont know if it'll help anyone, but I contacted the seller, and they said: "I think the problem is with the connection between the camera module and the PCB board. It might get damaged somehow. One or two soldering joints of sensor FPC might get broken". I have returned it for a replacement - but with it being Chinese new year, I won't be expecting another for a few weeks yet!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:51 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Dont know if it'll help anyone, but I contacted the seller, and they said: "I think the problem is with the connection between the camera module and the PCB board. It might get damaged somehow. One or two soldering joints of sensor FPC might get broken". I have returned it for a replacement - but with it being Chinese new year, I won't be expecting another for a few weeks yet!!
These guys are great. I got a replacement from my vendor (eletoponline) when he determined mine was bad. It wouldn't charge the battery. I ordered 2 new extra batteries and it did the same thing on both. I sent it back for $2.50 postage and received a new one in return. Their communications are excellent via email and reply very fast.

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,552 Posts
Quote:
you know the problem?

thanks guys.
Could be the battery, but the beep is strange...
First step is to check if the camera will record using the special cable.
There have been many posts, but not with the beep. Here are two recents links that may help you:
Link1, Link2, Special cable link.

If you still can't record using the "special" cable, then the camera may be defective.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
you know the problem?

thanks guys.
This beep sound concerns me. Is it coming from INSIDE the camera? There is nothing in there that could make a sound when connected for charging unless something is VERY wrong in the charging circuit, or the battery has a catastrophic failure and its foil pouch has split open and is hissing as it relieves internal pressure when charging. I suggest you open the case and have a look inside before doing any more charging attempts or powering the camera from an external source (the external power connects to the battery in parallel and will also try to charge it) .
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,384 Posts
I'm jumping in this very long thread to ask who the current best vendor(s) are for the #11.

Thanks in advance.

GW
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:36 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
I'm jumping in this very long thread to ask who the current best vendor(s) are for the #11.

Thanks in advance.

GW
Go to the first three posts and look for the list of vendors. These posts are kept current by Tom Frank, thread boss.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:30 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,384 Posts
Thanks prof. Wasn't sure that they were current.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:

I would tell you to go over to the #16 camera thread and read there first,, as I find the #16 a much better camera and a lot easier to use..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:22 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Thanks again Tom , wonderfull info here... and i'm
ordering the #16 thanks to your tips !

comic video with the # 11 (sorry comment are in French)

CL 415 au lac Brompton (5 min 43 sec)
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I would tell you to go over to the #16 camera thread and read there first,, as I find the #16 a much better camera and a lot easier to use..
Do you have a link to the #16 thread?

Thanks,
GW
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,166 Posts
Here you go
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1556994&pp=50
32 pages in just over a month!!
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,384 Posts
Thanks Andy
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
12 Posts
#11 + lgp500

Hi!

I am taking videos with my carchain #11, then I took microSD card out of the camera and put it in my LG500 cell phone and chek videos. But it is complicated when you're in action so I wonder is there some cable aviable to connect #11 camera with LGP500 phone to check video directly, without taking out microSD card from #11?

Thanks for answers!
MarlboroCowboy is offline Find More Posts by MarlboroCowboy
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroCowboy View Post
Hi!

I am taking videos with my carchain #11, then I took microSD card out of the camera and put it in my LG500 cell phone and chek videos. But it is complicated when you're in action so I wonder is there some cable aviable to connect #11 camera with LGP500 phone to check video directly, without taking out microSD card from #11?

Thanks for answers!
No.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,023 Posts
Quote:
er er each of the 1st 4 posts have edit dates liberally scattered around.....
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:07 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
Thanks again Tom , wonderfull info here... and i'm
ordering the #16 thanks to your tips !

comic video with the # 11 (sorry comment are in French)
That was a well put together video, & the general feeling didn't need language.
Thank you.
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Problems recording! Went out twice todat and did a 30 min recording came back, nothing on the card! Ok, went out again for a 15 min recording, AGAIN, nothing on the card. Now when im home and do short 1-2 min tests, all works fine! How can there be nothing on the card with the longer flights??? I hit the power button for a few seconds until i get the solid yellow light, then short press the front button and get the 3 flashes and then the led goes dark. I dont get it????
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Problems recording! Went out twice todat and did a 30 min recording came back, nothing on the card! Ok, went out again for a 15 min recording, AGAIN, nothing on the card. Now when im home and do short 1-2 min tests, all works fine! How can there be nothing on the card with the longer flights??? I hit the power button for a few seconds until i get the solid yellow light, then short press the front button and get the 3 flashes and then the led goes dark. I dont get it????
Maybe it's cold out.. And the battery voltage is dropping so low from the cold that it's shutting the camera off without saving the video first??
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Im in Fla. its 75 degrees...lol Unit did feel warm when I got it off the plane but wheres the video? Does it erase it all if theres a shutdown??
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
see below
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Im in Fla. its 75 degrees...lol Unit did feel warm when I got it off the plane but wheres the video? Does it erase it all if theres a shutdown??

Your name says NJ..... I think there was a problem with them doing this.. what firmware are you using? Have you read all the Q&A to see if it's in there? On my #11 as the battery got lower it would start recording a noise but I never ran it till the battery was dead.. On my #16 I have and it will stop and save before shutting down.. And it has the flashing light to tell me it's recording.. One thing that I hate about the #3 and #11 was never knowing if I had turned off the camera or if it was recording or if it had died from dead battery..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=638
Last edited by livonia bob; Jan 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Actually I'm on vacation. I need someone to explain how this camera functions when it runs out of battery or over heats. The video should be saving up to the error point
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:59 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
... One thing that I hate about the #3 and #11 was never knowing if I had turned off the camera or if it was recording..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=638
The three I have of various #'s are also the same way. Is it off or still on?
And two of them put the still photos in the same directory as the videos, instead of media and photo.
One won't take photos at all.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:28 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Actually I'm on vacation. I need someone to explain how this camera functions when it runs out of battery or over heats. The video should be saving up to the error point
Not necessarily. The cam might only write a header etc to create a video file when closed normally. If the cam runs out of power while recording there is a risk of losing everything, or get zero length or corrupted files.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Not necessarily. The cam might only write a header etc to create a video file when closed normally. If the cam runs out of power while recording there is a risk of losing everything, or get zero length or corrupted files.
The Rel 2 firmware should be saving files on low battery power. Some Rel 1 firmware did not.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 22, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Tom, I just bought this a month ago. Im pretty sure it has rel 2 on it as it will record past 20 mon without creating a new file and also theres no time stamp on it. I just did a full charge and let the cam sit and it did record for 23 min. So what could be going on here? its possible that it did run out of power and shut itself down on the previous flights, could I have rel 1 on this camera even though its so new??
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
Tom, I just bought this a month ago. Im pretty sure it has rel 2 on it as it will record past 20 mon without creating a new file and also theres no time stamp on it. I just did a full charge and let the cam sit and it did record for 23 min. So what could be going on here? its possible that it did run out of power and shut itself down on the previous flights, could I have rel 1 on this camera even though its so new??
Is it possible? Sure! Not probable, but possible. And (I think) one of the REL1 firmware that had no date stamp recorded longer than 20 min. (it's been a while.. not sure anymore). You can always download and install the REL2 firmware posted in the thread link here to be sure.
Closed Thread