HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:59 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
I tried the #11 lens on the HK cam, and couldn't focus, I think the lens tube is too short. Let us know if it works for you.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:25 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbl View Post
bought this from eletech086 and the two usbcables look exactly alike..except one is longer than the other..
Post #2692
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2692
says the thinner cable is the special cable.

If you missed reading #2692 it is a comprehensive instruction manual. I couldn't work my #11 till I read it.
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Last edited by Wid; Jan 02, 2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: reflect updated info
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
10 Posts
My vendor was very responsive and told me that the special cord was the longer thinner cord. I was not expecting such a fast response and excellent non-broken English. Really fine service indeed..
johnbl is offline Find More Posts by johnbl
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:09 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
My vendor was very responsive and told me that the special cord was the longer thinner cord. I was not expecting such a fast response and excellent non-broken English. Really fine service indeed..
This information is available here in the FAQs in post #3... you should familiarize yourself with this database of questions and answers.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:16 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Just some onboard footage from my light Stryker this afternoon.

Light Stryker - onboard video (2 min 22 sec)
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
Post #2692
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2692
says the shorter cable is the special cable.

If you missed reading #2692 it is a comprehensive instruction manual. I couldn't work my #11 till I read it.
I have slightly modified the instruction manual to reflect this information. It appears that the manufacturer has once again changed the cable supplier. These two different cables have led to a lot of confusion in the past.

Since the "special" cable only uses two wires and the standard cable uses four wires, the thinner cable will always be the "special" cable - at least that's the theory

As has been confirmed many times, the sellers of these cameras offer absolutely excellent after-sales service.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Hi guys, I need a little help. I just bought a #11 808 camera. All looks good except for one thing.

There's a blueish hue on the right side of the image. It's not horrible, but it's definitely very noticeable. What could be causing this? And can it be fixed, or do I need to get a replacement camera?
It seems to be more noticeable as the ambient lighting gets darker. So on a very cloudy day it looks quite bad.

Thanks.
xxxcellarator is online now Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Last edited by xxxcellarator; Dec 22, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
Hi guys, I need a little help. I just bought a #11 808 camera. All looks good except for one thing.

There's a blueish hue on the right side of the image. It's not horrible, but it's definitely very noticeable. What could be causing this? And can it be fixed, or do I need to get a replacement camera?
It seems to be more noticeable as the ambient lighting gets darker. So on a very cloudy day it looks quite bad.

Thanks.
Can you post a sample clip so we can see what you are talking about? There is a natural light fall-off at the left/right edges and corners from the vignetting of the lens.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:18 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Wow 554 pages lots of reading to do. I had a few quick questions.
1) Is the HobbyKing version which is considerably cheaper than the one's found on E'bay the same camera? I'm going to assume there diffrent based on the reslution alone but they look identical.
2) Anyone having issues with thiers? Are these mostly reliable other than the odd bad one here and there?
3) I dont have an ebay account can I buy direcly from the distributor in China? Wouldnt it be a little cheaper too? Anyone have a link?
4) Is a #4 SD card a minimum all mine seem to be #2 :-(
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Can you post a sample clip so we can see what you are talking about? There is a natural light fall-off at the left/right edges and corners from the vignetting of the lens.
Yeah, I'm fully aware of the vignetting issue. This is not that. The problem is a darker/blue haze on the entire 1/5 of the right side of the screen. Looks like vignetting, but its on the entire right side and obviously much larger and more pronounced than it should be. I'm thinking it's a defective camera, but then again, I'm no expert which is why I though I should ask before doing anything else.

I am going to make a sample very soon and will post it once I have it done.

Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:00 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
1) Is the HobbyKing version which is considerably cheaper than the one's found on E'bay the same camera? I'm going to assume there diffrent based on the reslution alone but they look identical.
2) Anyone having issues with thiers? Are these mostly reliable other than the odd bad one here and there?
3) I dont have an ebay account can I buy direcly from the distributor in China? Wouldnt it be a little cheaper too? Anyone have a link?
Answers:
1) Not the same. 2) Mostly reliable. 3) I'm pretty sure Ebay is the only way to buy them, but maybe someone else knows different. 4) Most use Class 6 or 10. Never tried a 2 or 4 but some say 4 works "ok".
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:25 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Here is a quick sample video of my camera:
Sample Video

It's only in 480p but the problem should still be clearly visible.
1/3 of the right side of the image is darker.

Just a NOTE: I have already contacted the seller hxelepro360 and they were VERY quick to respond. I've sent them the sample as well and will see how it goes.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:27 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Taking a better look at it, I think the left side might be ever so slightly dark too. Not nearly as noticeable as the right side though. That doesn't bother me so much, but the right side is a definite problem that needs to be fixed.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:05 AM
Northern Ireland
Joined May 2006
1,212 Posts
I am having the same problem with my /11 cam, dark areas to the left side of the picture.I have removed some of the casing of the 11, incase it was not centered properly in the housing.
I will test it today as some stage and see if there is any improvement.

Richard
richard boyd is offline Find More Posts by richard boyd
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:32 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard boyd View Post
I am having the same problem with my /11 cam, dark areas to the left side of the picture.I have removed some of the casing of the 11, incase it was not centered properly in the housing.
I will test it today as some stage and see if there is any improvement.

Richard
Unfortunately, I don't think thats the issue, at least not with my camera. I know this because I tried to run the camera with the bottom half of the casing off, which exposes a great portion of the lens and should have at least gotten rid of 1/2 the darkness.

All that did was to make the image overly bright, looked like there was too much light entering the lens, however, the dark area was still clearly there on the right side.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Answers:
1) Not the same. 2) Mostly reliable. 3) I'm pretty sure Ebay is the only way to buy them, but maybe someone else knows different. 4) Most use Class 6 or 10. Never tried a 2 or 4 but some say 4 works "ok".
Most Keychain 808 cameras look identical from the outside, it's the inners that make the big difference

If you have a PayPal account then you can certainly buy the camera, but I don't know if you can create a PayPal account without being an eBay member. You could in the good old days. Best thing is to ask the seller if you can send him money via bank transfer, but that will cost you quite a few $ extra.
You can find Eletoponline's email address, Tel. No. and Skype name here, near the bottom of the page under "Contact Information".

I use Sandisk Class 2 32GB without any problem, but that could be due to the size and/or the Sandisk quality. The Class rating doesn't tell the whole story. I have also tested old Sandisk cards without a rating, and they also worked. The rule-of-thumb is to use Class 6 and upwards, but there are exceptions if you have quality cards.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:48 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Here is the first reply from the ebay seller:

"Thank you very much for the video.
We have watched it.
It' s affacted by the right sarutation,shooting angle,weather,this phenomenon is common with the CMOS sensor.
could you possibly shoot the video in a sunny day ,with sunshine?"

Not very uselful, but nevertheless, I have sent them a 2nd sample shot in the sun. The exact same effects can be seen. The only difference is that it is harder to notice due to the different (more vibrant) colors, but still very much visible.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
#16 is online

The real Mafctr NEW #16
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
It's been available for quite a few days and some people have even received their orders!

Maybe you missed Tom's post. He created a new thread dedicated to the #16. Here's the link.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:09 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Free editor from Pinnacle

Looks good, demo videos here

http://videospin.com/redesign/tutori..._tutorials.asp
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:16 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Here is a quick sample video of my camera:
Sample Video

It's only in 480p but the problem should still be clearly visible.
1/3 of the right side of the image is darker.

Just a NOTE: I have already contacted the seller hxelepro360 and they were VERY quick to respond. I've sent them the sample as well and will see how it goes.
What I see is a big pink hotspot in the center. Mine also did that under some lighting conditions, burning out detail on the horizon. I think the lens is the issue.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:45 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
What I see is a big pink hotspot in the center. Mine also did that under some lighting conditions, burning out detail on the horizon. I think the lens is the issue.
It may seem that way, but the colors in the center are actually good. It's the colors to the edge that are darker with a blue hue.

At this point I'm convinced it's a lens issue. Only real thing to do now is to get the manufacturer to stop asking me for pointless sample videos and actually help me fix the issue (whether it requires replacing the camera or some other way).
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
It may seem that way, but the colors in the center are actually good. It's the colors to the edge that are darker with a blue hue.

At this point I'm convinced it's a lens issue. Only real thing to do now is to get the manufacturer to stop asking me for pointless sample videos and actually help me fix the issue (whether it requires replacing the camera or some other way).
The seller is only trying to see what you are seeing, like I was to determine if it's normal or not. And if you will read the FAQs, this IS normal with the #11, especially when shooting the sky. The vignetting also causes a color hue shift, not just a darker image... that's just the way the CMOS and firmware in the camera operate. It's normally pretty equal on both sides, though. There is a remote possibility your lens is not well centered in the case, but it has to be pretty far off for the case to interfere with the field of view. There's been rare instances of cross threaded lens, but then there are severe focusing problems. See the FAQs for more discussion.

The new #16 has solved much of the problem with a different lens and better firmware, which is still being refined. This, too, is discussed briefly with video samples as you scan back through the thread or do a search for #16.

I don't know what you are expecting for $40!?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:15 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
The seller is only trying to see what you are seeing, like I was to determine if it's normal or not. And if you will read the FAQs, this IS normal with the #11, especially when shooting the sky. The new #16 has solved much of the problem with a different lens. This, too, is discussed briefly with video samples as you scan back through the thread or do a search for #16. There is a remote possibility your lens is not well centered in the case, but it has to be pretty far off for the case to interfere with the field of view.

I don't know what you are expecting for $40!
Like I mentioned before, it's not a sky/weather issue nor a case blockage issue. Even filming a video in my room with the camera moving around through different light conditions and colors, the darkening on one side of the camera is very obvious at all times with no change. And I also took half of the case off just to see if that would change anything, and apart from making the image overly exposed, I could still clearly see the exact same dark patch on the right side.

I'm expecting it to at least have a consistent image and look similar to the samples I have seen. This is not a case of camera not being able to handle anything I throw at it. It's a case of a clear defect with the image being produced. And I'm not trying to put the camera down, just trying to solve my issue. Telling me it's normal will not help. Because I know for a fact it isn't.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Here is the 2nd Sample video taken in sunlight, which I sent to the seller. You can easily see the color inconsistency towards the right side of the screen. It's quite bad.

I haven't seen this in ANY of the sample videos. I'm fully aware of the known issues with these camera, which is why I'm not complaining about the buzzing noise (that was because it was -5C outside and battery was frozen).

Sample Video 2
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Looks like hotspot again to me. It's not good, but quite common with these cameras. I still get some with the HK wing lens, but not as bad. For me, the #11 lens is the main issue, but there's still a tendency with the #16. You can see it inthe sample video such as the girls with bicycles.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Looks like hotspot again to me. It's not good, but quite common with these cameras. I still get some with the HK wing lens, but not as bad. For me, the #11 lens is the main issue, but there's still a tendency with the #16. You can see it inthe sample video such as the girls with bicycles.
Yeah I see what you mean now. When looking at the video in small size (without going full screen) it looks more like a very large hot spot shifted towards the left side of the screen. Although, the hot spot produces the correct colors. The darkened areas around (and particularly to the right) are where the image is darkened.

However you look at it though, it definitely shouldn't be like this. Maybe if it was just very mild, like in some of the other sample videos you mentioned (which I haven't looked at yet). But this is an unacceptable level to me.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:48 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
The good news is that these cameras are excellent, even spectacular, some of the time. Just like the older versions, I plan for the worst, then edit out the bad bits.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Like I mentioned before, it's not a sky/weather issue nor a case blockage issue. Even filming a video in my room with the camera moving around through different light conditions and colors, the darkening on one side of the camera is very obvious at all times with no change. And I also took half of the case off just to see if that would change anything, and apart from making the image overly exposed, I could still clearly see the exact same dark patch on the right side.

I'm expecting it to at least have a consistent image and look similar to the samples I have seen. This is not a case of camera not being able to handle anything I throw at it. It's a case of a clear defect with the image being produced. And I'm not trying to put the camera down, just trying to solve my issue. Telling me it's normal will not help. Because I know for a fact it isn't.
So what do you expect us to do about it? Send it back, but you will always have darkening and discoloration left and right, sometimes equal, sometimes a little more on one side than the other. It's a fact!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:46 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
So what do you expect us to do about it? Send it back, but you will always have darkening and discoloration left and right, sometimes equal, sometimes a little more on one side than the other. It's a fact!
I wanted to see if anyone had any way of fixing this an easy way (without having to get the camera replaced).
Definitely wasn't looking to find out if this is a normal thing or not.

I don't know what your talking about because my camera is the first time I've noticed this. Sure I've seen the vignetting at the corners of the screen and was expecting that. But I wasn't expecting to see 1/3 of the screen to be darkened.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:19 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Here's the HK Wing lens on #11, I'll add some notes to my previous post Works better on sunny days!

Ace High - wing and tail views (2 min 35 sec)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Sweet! That wider lens should help a bit in low lights, too.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:43 AM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
169 Posts
One interesting use of my #11.

Air Swimmer Shark maiden flight (1 min 37 sec)

Cap-cam version:

mCPx attacked by shark (1 min 17 sec)
Race Miata is online now Find More Posts by Race Miata
Last edited by Race Miata; Dec 24, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:54 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,011 Posts
I've been using my #11 on/off for a few months, but about a month ago it started getting a 'slight' problem

I've havn't seen anyone else with a similar problem on this thread....

The pictures are taken from a typical video.
I'm using a Transcend class 6 card (I have 2 and the same thing happens on both).
The battery voltage is fine (last time was 4.19V)
I have re-set it several times.
There's nothing obviously wrong with it that I can see (taken it apart)

Its been used on a quadcopter mostly and has had a relatively easy life with no serious 'accidents' that I can recall

<edit> just to add:
the camera is about 4/5 months old and initially worked ok
seems to be no sound on video anymore
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Last edited by Mike Barton; Dec 24, 2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: additional info
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:22 AM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
I've been using my #11 on/off for a few months, but about a month ago it started getting a 'slight' problem

I've havn't seen anyone else with a similar problem on this thread....

The pictures are taken from a typical video.
I'm using a Transcend class 6 card (I have 2 and the same thing happens on both).
The battery voltage is fine (last time was 4.19V)
I have re-set it several times.
There's nothing obviously wrong with it that I can see (taken it apart)

Its been used on a quadcopter mostly and has had a relatively easy life with no serious 'accidents' that I can recall

<edit> just to add:
the camera is about 4/5 months old and initially worked ok
seems to be no sound on video anymore
Check post #8202. Sounds like a connection problem. Like the post says, touch some components around the CMOS and mic and the CMOS cable while taking a video and see if the results vary with your actions. Worked for 2 guys previously.

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:55 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Check post #8202. Sounds like a connection problem. Like the post says, touch some components around the CMOS and mic and the CMOS cable while taking a video and see if the results vary with your actions. Worked for 2 guys previously.

Ron
Ron, thanks, missed those posts...

I took the case off (top + bottom) and took some videos while touching all the components, sadly made no discenible difference
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:40 AM
Mr.
South Africa, EC, Humansdorp
Joined Dec 2011
64 Posts
@Victapilot I am new at this. I have 2x old 808 #3 cameras which work great. I would like to upgrade to half hidef (1280x720). I fly Paramotors and use the camera on my helmet. The GoPro is nice but a bit of overkill in my case (financially) and is a bit to big. The only reason I want to go with the GoPro is the wide angle. Now you have solved that too. My questions are:
1. Is the #11 the best key chain cam at the moment?
2. How did you get such a nice wide-angle picture? Did you buy the extra lens or does it come with a "special" camera version?
And finally, HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all of you !
Great forum
Gomario is offline Find More Posts by Gomario
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Wide angle options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
@Victapilot I am new at this. I have 2x old 808 #3 cameras which work great. I would like to upgrade to half hidef (1280x720). I fly Paramotors and use the camera on my helmet. The GoPro is nice but a bit of overkill in my case (financially) and is a bit to big. The only reason I want to go with the GoPro is the wide angle. Now you have solved that too. My questions are:
2. How did you get such a nice wide-angle picture? Did you buy the extra lens or does it come with a "special" camera version?
Great forum
There are a couple of options to get a wide angle view.

1) You can add on one of the fish eye or other wide lenses in this thread.
These can be added externally to the #11 case.

Or

2) You can buy a camera with neat features, including a built in wide angle lens (but with inferior video quality) found on HobbyKing.com http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...HD_Wing_Camera

Or

3) You can use the wide angle lens from the HobbyKing with a camera that has a removable internal lens (#16 camera).

We are currently petitioning the supplier to sell the lens separate of the camera just for this purpose.
The post explaining it is on the #16 Camera Forum

Here is a summary of that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcJosh View Post
There are 3 things you can do to help the cause with HobbyKing.com:
1) Post to the request thread
2) Post to the 'wish HK would sell' thread
3) email Hobbyking

Here is the UPDATE:

The request thread has collected 9 "me too" posts so far:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...=162562#162562

Thanks for everyone who has weighed in!
* * *However, since the majority of them signed up to post this request (thanks for that too!) I wonder if HK may see it as inflated.
(Most only have a single post . . . and I only have 2 there myslelf)

## If there are anyone here that are veterans on the HobbyKing.com forum we would greatly appreciate your vote!

Although, I made an effort to explained this in the "Things I wish HK would sell - 6" thread HERE: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...ID=14272&PN=60

Can everyone who has "me too" echo this in the above forum?
I think this will better get the attention of HK.

Additionally I sent an email to support and now have a ticket #
If you want to email them, I'll save you the hassle of finding the address: support@hobbyking.zendesk.com
rcJosh is offline Find More Posts by rcJosh
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:03 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Great forum
In addition to what rcjosh wrote.

The #16 is better, easier to fine tune with software, and external battery port.

I had no problem removing the #11 lens, replaced with the HK Wing 120deg lens.

Add on lenses are possible, but if the camera already has vignetting or hotspot issues, the add lens will still have it. I have tried the add on lens with a Bloggie and Kodak ZxD, and get good result.

Tom Frank is working with the suppliers to get some better wide angle lenses, that's long term.

Have a great Christmas y'all!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:59 AM
Mr.
South Africa, EC, Humansdorp
Joined Dec 2011
64 Posts
My actual 808 Cam

Hey, tx for the "Christmas Day" reply I am good at electronics and stuff. I have soldered a Nokia BL-5CA batt. on my old 808 #3 cam and it works 100% Now the rec time is only limited by the windows 4GB max file size. Unfortunately the #3 does not recognize any other mmc data format (FAT32 only) How is the #11/#16? Does it recognize any other data format? In particular NTFS (exFAT will also do)?
For what it is worth, I will add my voice to the 'request thread'.
You chaps ROCK Happy to have found you.
If you care to see a video sample (virtualdub edited/shacking fixed), go to
My Astonbay Flight 2011-12-17.mp4 (8 min 8 sec)
Gomario is offline Find More Posts by Gomario
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:19 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Hey, tx for the "Christmas Day" reply I am good at electronics and stuff. I have soldered a Nokia BL-5CA batt. on my old 808 #3 cam and it works 100% Now the rec time is only limited by the windows 4GB max file size. Unfortunately the #3 does not recognize any other mmc data format (FAT32 only) How is the #11/#16? Does it recognize any other data format? In particular NTFS (exFAT will also do)?
For what it is worth, I will add my voice to the 'request thread'.
You chaps ROCK Happy to have found you.
If you care to see a video sample (virtualdub edited/shacking fixed), go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ivuklA4W-o
I'm waiting for kids and grandkids to arrive, so no problem! You could see the close and continue firmware options for the 808hd Cams for large files.

That's a great video, I was watching for great whites in the water!

It's one of the best #3 vids, always helps to have a nice day. You will get better results with 720p though..

On a rig like that you could carry a Bloggie or Kodak 5oz camera, advantage is 60fps or 1080p, I got both, under $40 eBay etc. A #16 would be a step up.

Cheers
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
How is the #11/#16? Does it recognize any other data format? In particular NTFS (exFAT will also do)?
#11 and #16 are both FAT32, but the #16 has an in-camera formatting function that can format larger than 32GB flash cards, and they will still work, but it's still FAT32 file system with 4GB limit on any one file.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldas2112 View Post
My #11 was bricked after suffer a minor impact. Only red led and nothing else. I tried every trick, car charger, re-firmware, disconnect the battery, with no avail. As a side effect, the battery goes from fully charged to 3,2v (protection circuit) in a few hours. No visible damage. Some time wondering how a small physical impact could damage a circuit board with no movable parts and I found a suspect, the only component that aren't rigidly attached to the circuit board. The crystal oscillators...
After a rapid inspection I found the metallic case of one of then (the one toward the rear end of the camera) in contact with components beside it. I did an insulation, a full charge and VOILA, it's alive...
Fortunately the short didn't burn anything. For now on, I will put a small piece of electric tape under each crystal oscillator in my keycams or may be better put some glue to hold it in place. .
I actually had an issue where I suddenly lost most of my color bit depth, so it look like an image on a Nintendo. All of the colors were blown out and banded. After I read this I checked my oscillators and found the out one from this post shorted out!

Though that might help if anyone else had suddenly seen a change in the colors or quality after dropping their camera, or in my case, opening it up and not closing it right.
jonnyflash is offline Find More Posts by jonnyflash
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
Joined May 2001
582 Posts
How many "fish eyes" does it take to view everything below the plane? Full 360 0f horizon and earth and soaring birds below? Just ordered a fish eye lens from:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-de...eras-900139814

and am wondering if aimed straight down what will it really see. Does it view 180 both vertical and horizontal? So I would get horizon to horizon if aimed down? Everything below the plane? I have a fair grasp of geometry but not camera optics and terminology.
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Got to see the video I took yesterday with my new No. 11 camera.
Very pleased with it. I also installed SDFormatter and another Windows file recommended on the SDFormatter instructions. The card has been reformatted and is ready to go again.

I also downloaded the conversion programme that converts the .mov files to .avi.... I like it

Thank you for all the information and FAQ at the beginning of this thread.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
How many "fish eyes" does it take to view everything below the plane? Full 360 0f horizon and earth and soaring birds below? Just ordered a fish eye lens from:

and am wondering if aimed straight down what will it really see. Does it view 180 both vertical and horizontal? So I would get horizon to horizon if aimed down? Everything below the plane? I have a fair grasp of geometry but not camera optics and terminology.
Thanks in advance.
The AOV required depends on your altitude about ground level, but that lens you ordered is 180 deg. so it should be able to do it from essentially ground level, but you might not get all of any objects higher than you plane's altitude. Aut your video image will be blurry near the edges and the distortion will be pretty horrendous. But fish don't care, so maybe you won't either!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:36 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
Joined May 2001
582 Posts
Quote:
The AOV required depends on your altitude about ground level, but that lens you ordered is 180 deg. so it should be able to do it from essentially ground level, but you might not get all of any objects higher than you plane's altitude. But your video image will be blurry near the edges and the distortion will be pretty horrendous. But fish don't care, so maybe you won't either!
Thanks Tom. I do care about the blurry and distorted edges, but trying to document soaring with the vultures and their acceptance and interactions of my gliders has proved difficult. Particularly their group behavior. Even if distorted it would be nice to have video proof when faced with skeptics that call me a liar. There will be other #16s on board for some nice close up shots. Here in Northern Ca they will be starting their springtime "flocking" behavior soon and I will only get a few weeks of soaring with big groups while they are doing their dominance dances and willing to challenge all comers to aerial dances. Last year I even had one imitate my tip stall (Zagi). I had never seen that before. Yeah, dance the sky!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:37 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
A few of us on another thread got Bloggie kits that included 360 deg mirrors, and software to convert from a round image to rectangular. Works ok on a tripod, but sea sick city on a plane. Some on YouTube, search there "360 bloggie"
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,660 Posts
I've got a Bloggie with the 360 lens kit but have never tried it!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
Joined May 2001
582 Posts

Quote:
A few of us on another thread got Bloggie kits that included 360 deg mirrors, and software to convert from a round image to rectangular. Works ok on a tripod, but sea sick city on a plane. Some on YouTube, search there "360 bloggie"
Looks interesting. I checked out a couple youtube videos. One of my problems with the turkey vultures is flying slow enough, so weight is a serious challenge. They are most comfortable with smaller planes, too. Which thread are you referring to?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom. I do care about the blurry and distorted edges, but trying to document soaring with the vultures and their acceptance and interactions of my gliders has proved difficult. Particularly their group behavior. Even if distorted it would be nice to have video proof when faced with skeptics that call me a liar. There will be other #16s on board for some nice close up shots. Here in Northern Ca they will be starting their springtime "flocking" behavior soon and I will only get a few weeks of soaring with big groups while they are doing their dominance dances and willing to challenge all comers to aerial dances. Last year I even had one imitate my tip stall (Zagi). I had never seen that before. Yeah, dance the sky!
Sounds like some interesting video if you can capture it. Please post links here if you get some good encounters.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:28 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
#16 on it's way

After messing around with a #8 KC camera (works okay other than I had to do a battery mod right away because the battery goes dead even if it's off) I decided to get the latest model. I ordered from eBay Store: eletoponline365, he has sent the pdf manual already but it will be a while for the shipping to reach the USA. Looking forward to making some better flight video's.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 26, 2011, 06:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
After messing around with a #8 KC camera (works okay other than I had to do a battery mod right away because the battery goes dead even if it's off) I decided to get the latest model. I ordered from eBay Store: eletoponline365, he has sent the pdf manual already but it will be a while for the shipping to reach the USA. Looking forward to making some better flight video's.
Then you should continue with the discussion of the #16 in it's dedicated thread in this forum! Click on Aerial Photography in the heade above, and you'll se the #16 thread near the top.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:25 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Just ordered the 808 mini hd cam. Im assuming that the buttons are on top and that means the camera is right side up. it would seem that its easier to mount the velcro on the underside as there is more flat room. How can I invert the playback video so I can mount it upside down?

Also, is there a better mounting system aside from velcro?

TIA, Dave
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Just ordered the 808 mini hd cam. Im assuming that the buttons are on top and that means the camera is right side up. it would seem that its easier to mount the velcro on the underside as there is more flat room. How can I invert the playback video so I can mount it upside down?

Also, is there a better mounting system aside from velcro?

TIA, Dave
See the FAQs in post #3. Velcro by itself needs to be the very rigid "industrial" variety in most cases. The smaller/weaker hook and loop type of Velco will not keep the camera from vibrating easily. Use a wrap of tape or wide rubber band around the camera to hold it more steady to help prevent the vibration-induced "jello waves".
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:18 AM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
Joined May 2001
582 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like some interesting video if you can capture it. Please post links here if you get some good encounters.
Its only a still photo shot from the ground, but it shows some of the behavior I want to video and why 180 AOV downward might be needed:
http://awindrider.com/pages/buzzardbuddies.html
Last edited by Wid; Dec 27, 2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: update link
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Thanks, can the camera be mounted upside down then video inverted? Not a lot of area for velcro with all those buttons : (
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Thanks, can the camera be mounted upside down then video inverted? Not a lot of area for velcro with all those buttons : (
To jump in with a quick answer for you...yes, the camera can be mounted upside down but of course the video will be upside down as well. You can then "flip" the video 180 degrees using one of the editors memtioned in the FAQ's on the first page of this thread.

Even Windows Live Movie Maker will do this.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
thanks!! now we just need the 1080p version of this camera and we are all set......Acyually 60fps would be nice too ; )
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
Is it a dead dud?

A few weeks back, I purchased an 808 #11 from Ebay seller cjpcody5. I don't recall if it was somewhere in this giant thread, or on another site, but I did verify that this seller was selling genuine #11's, and after the camera arrived I did a couple of quick checks on the output files to verify that the camera was working and was a #11. Unfortunatly, I then put the camera in a drawer until yesterday when I finally pulled it out to do some real testing with it. That's when I discovered that the thing was buggy. At this point I'm probably up to 10 minutes of test filming with the camera around my house, and I have less than a minute of actual useable footage.

The camera will sometimes shoot 10-15 seconds of clear video, but more often the video will be littered with corrupt blocks and "flashes" where the entire video image is corrupted. I have already contacted the seller to hopefully initiate an exchange, but before I ship it back I thought it might be worthwhile to see if there's anything else I can try. Here are two images showing two examples of the problem. The first image shows a relatively clear shot with a small corrupt area across the middle. The second shows the entire image corrupted. Neither of these lasted for more than a half second, but these types of problems are constant:

To try and fix the problem, I've done the following.

1. Swapped SD cards, using multiple Transcend, AData, and Dane-Elec 8gb class 4 & 10 cards.
2. Formatted the cards using SDformatter and verified their proper operation using the Crystal Diskmark program.
3. Fully recharged the camera.
4. Verified that there was no lint or debris in the SD slot.
5. Power cycled and reset the camera several times.
6. Thinking that it might be a firmware issue, I flashed the camera to the Rev2 software without the timestamp. When the problem continued, I flashed it back to the original firmware with the timestamp.
7. Verified that no buttons were stuck or sticky, and that there was no physical damage to the camera.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I may just have to exchange it, but would love to be able to just fix it and save the time and trouble. I'm not sure whether there's anything else I can try though. I was planning on sticking this thing on my heli to get some aerial footage of our cities New Years celebration, and that isn't going to happen if I have to exchange it.
PeakFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PeakFlyer
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined May 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFlyer View Post
A few weeks back, I purchased an 808 #11 from Ebay seller cjpcody5. I don't recall if it was somewhere in this giant thread, or on another site, but I did verify that this seller was selling genuine #11's, and after the camera arrived I did a couple of quick checks on the output files to verify that the camera was working and was a #11. Unfortunatly, I then put the camera in a drawer until yesterday when I finally pulled it out to do some real testing with it. That's when I discovered that the thing was buggy. At this point I'm probably up to 10 minutes of test filming with the camera around my house, and I have less than a minute of actual useable footage.

The camera will sometimes shoot 10-15 seconds of clear video, but more often the video will be littered with corrupt blocks and "flashes" where the entire video image is corrupted. I have already contacted the seller to hopefully initiate an exchange, but before I ship it back I thought it might be worthwhile to see if there's anything else I can try. Here are two images showing two examples of the problem. The first image shows a relatively clear shot with a small corrupt area across the middle. The second shows the entire image corrupted. Neither of these lasted for more than a half second, but these types of problems are constant:

To try and fix the problem, I've done the following.

1. Swapped SD cards, using multiple Transcend, AData, and Dane-Elec 8gb class 4 & 10 cards.
2. Formatted the cards using SDformatter and verified their proper operation using the Crystal Diskmark program.
3. Fully recharged the camera.
4. Verified that there was no lint or debris in the SD slot.
5. Power cycled and reset the camera several times.
6. Thinking that it might be a firmware issue, I flashed the camera to the Rev2 software without the timestamp. When the problem continued, I flashed it back to the original firmware with the timestamp.
7. Verified that no buttons were stuck or sticky, and that there was no physical damage to the camera.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I may just have to exchange it, but would love to be able to just fix it and save the time and trouble. I'm not sure whether there's anything else I can try though. I was planning on sticking this thing on my heli to get some aerial footage of our cities New Years celebration, and that isn't going to happen if I have to exchange it.
look at this post #8282 ..maybe it will work also for you
Giorg is offline Find More Posts by Giorg
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
A few weeks back, I purchased an 808 #11 from Ebay seller cjpcody5. I don't recall if it was somewhere in this giant thread, or on another site, but I did verify that this seller was selling genuine #11's...
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I just checked on cjpcody5 and the seller is in the US and has only sold about 85 items. He is not a verified #11 seller (see post #2 here), and I think you were sold a used/defective camera if not an outright fake. I'd ask for a refund, but good luck with that.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 27, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:11 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Looks interesting. I checked out a couple youtube videos. One of my problems with the turkey vultures is flying slow enough, so weight is a serious challenge. They are most comfortable with smaller planes, too. Which thread are you referring to?
Sorry for late and OT reply but its here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=10

It does 360deg, but a narrow band. There's a guy doing 360 stills looking down using 5 GoPro's. PM if you need a link.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
I just checked on cjpcody5 and the seller is in the US and has only sold about 85 items. He is not a verified #11 seller (see post #2 here), and I think you were sold a used/defective camera if not an outright fake. I'd ask for a refund, but good luck with that.
I realize that the seller isn't on the RCGroups verified list, but I did find references from other satisfied buyers, and after spending quite a bit of time on ChuckLohr's site, I'm 99.5% certain that the camera is both new and a genuine #11. "Defective" is another story entirely. I haven't heard back from the seller yet, so it will be interesting to see whether or not they will stand behind the product. I'm not going to jump on the seller yet because I understand that duds do happen, and the real test will be in seeing how they respond to it.

FWIW, I actually went with this seller specifically because it and I are both California based. Should things go badly, I have a bit of experience using our small claims system to get my money back. It's impossible to do if the seller is across the country or planet, but pretty easy when they're just a few counties away. I've been burned enough via ebay to always buy with an eye towards my recovery options should things go south. I genuinely hope it doesn't come to that, of course.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:35 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
but more often the video will be littered with corrupt blocks and "flashes" where the entire video image is corrupted.
Peakflyer.... Havnt been here in a while, excuse if this is already tried. Windows media player does that on playback of mine on 3 of 5 of the laptops running 3 different versions of windows os. On all of those machines, using quicktime player plays back the same files flawlessly. Try it, if you havnt already.

While I'm certain this is a version/release issue or even a simple setting that I have tried to figure out... its just way easier to use quicktime to play for viewing. Strangley, windows live movie maker, and windows movie maker do not seem to have any problems when I use them to do quick edits.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, I actually went with this seller specifically because it and I are both California based. Should things go badly, I have a bit of experience using our small claims system to get my money back. It's impossible to do if the seller is across the country or planet, but pretty easy when they're just a few counties away. I've been burned enough via ebay to always buy with an eye towards my recovery options should things go south. I genuinely hope it doesn't come to that, of course.
I hear what you are saying, but I, and the MANY posts here, can attest that the verified eBay sellers identified at the beginning of this thread are dedicated to end user satisfaction with the product. If a product is defective, it will be replaced. Of course you do have to send the defective product back, but that can be done for less than $5. A bit late for your situation, but the validated #16 (and to be #16 camera) sellers) are top notch, and can be trusted to back up their products.

Any sellers OTHER than those eBay sellers listed in my thread are re-sellers... buying off eBay and reselling locally for a profit. I don't have a problem with that if someone feels more comfortable that way, but I'd hate to have to deal with a small claims court for a $40 item... not worth the time and effort, but that's just me. Good luck with your camera.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:16 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Peakflyer.... Havnt been here in a while, excuse if this is already tried. Windows media player does that on playback of mine on 3 of 5 of the laptops running 3 different versions of windows os. On all of those machines, using quicktime player plays back the same files flawlessly. Try it, if you havnt already.

While I'm certain this is a version/release issue or even a simple setting that I have tried to figure out... its just way easier to use quicktime to play for viewing. Strangley, windows live movie maker, and windows movie maker do not seem to have any problems when I use them to do quick edits.
Or VLC - a free windows native program that handles almost anytyhing..
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:36 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Yup VLC. No matter what camera I record a video with then no matter what program I use to edit that video, the final check is always verified to be working by running it on VLC!
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
Quote:

Wow! On one hand I feel like an idiot, but on the other I'm THRILLED that it turned out to be something so simple and stupid! I use WMP to play MOV files all the time and have never had an issue before, so I didn't even think about it being the culprit. I fed the video files into quicktime and vlc (which I DID already have installed, but don't use often) and they worked perfectly.

THANK YOU!

I also just fed the MOV file into Premiere and generated an H.264 MP4 file out of it. The resulting video was flawless, and it's hard to believe that the video came out of a keychain camera. After running a denoiser and color correction filter on it, the video actually looks better than some of the footage I've shot with my PlaySport!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:39 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Wow! On one hand I feel like an idiot, but on the other I'm THRILLED that it turned out to be something so simple
Imagine my surprise when I told my friend not to open with WMP even though he already clicked on it, on his machine, I said it won't work... .worked fine, just like quicktime, and he was like, ya what do YOU know.! Stupid,!

I have no idea why it works on 2 machines and not the other 3... doesnt make sense.

P.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Imagine my surprise when I told my friend not to open with WMP even though he already clicked on it, on his machine, I said it won't work... .worked fine, just like quicktime, and he was like, ya what do YOU know.! Stupid,!

I have no idea why it works on 2 machines and not the other 3... doesnt make sense.

P.
Assuming the program itself is not corrupted, it's often the hardware in the computer that is the culprit. H.264 video requires a lot of CPU speed, memory, good video card, etc. to decode and play smoothly in real time. And the video codecs used are not the same and don't operate with equal efficiency (VLC has them directly integrated with the program). I just came off a vacation with a small netbook, and both WMP and VLC had a hard time playing the camera's video smoothly in real time. WMP also does more error checking and will burp and throw up sometimes, whereas VLC doesn't care... it just burps and keeps on eating. And the video data rate is variable, so depending on the scene motion and detail complexity, some videos require less processing time and play OK whereas others do not.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:19 AM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined May 2011
38 Posts
And remember to always upgrade your vlc edition.
Newer VLC edition could use your GPU (graphic card) to decode a video stream. This will give smooth video even on older computers, where previously was impossible to play HD content.
The gain is astonishing. Whit only CPU I was unable to play smooth full hd movies, than I've installed windows media player home classic (totally different from WMP) and not only I was able to play it flawlessly, but it was also possible to add real time rendering improvements and filters.

Even if for newer pc with win 7 and WMP, stuff will be fine... my advice is : never use again WMP ! I deleted this program from my menu since day 1 of win xp !
Giorg is offline Find More Posts by Giorg
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:44 AM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2008
620 Posts
My experience on a XP netbook with WMP was it worked , but the sound lags...but that is only playing files from a #3 808 .WMP won't work on 720 Bloggie files either but the Quicktime will play them if the screen is small (1/2 size)

The biggest aggrevation I have with XP and (WMM) is I cannot save , nor upload HD files to YT...so I am (for now) left out of the HD loop until I do something about getting more horsepower (not what HP means on this netbook) or completely changing out the OS on this netbook to Win 7(not exciting)
gittarpikk is offline Find More Posts by gittarpikk
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
What is the best way to mount the dealextreme lens to this Camera? What type of glue?
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:50 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
How about this for your next RC aerial platform
Festo - SmartBird (1 min 48 sec)

Should be able to carry a key cam without problem
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:22 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
How about this for your next RC aerial platform
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnR8fDW3Ilo
Should be able to carry a key cam without problem
Andy
Waaaay back on the #3 keyfob thread there was a guy who strapped his keyfob to the back of a ..... falcon(?). Some kind of bird.

It was actually pretty cool.

Yabba
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:32 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Another one with the 120deg lens. Anyone hear the low voltage humming LOL

AXN Clouds Fly.mp4 (3 min 7 sec)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:49 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Another one with the 120deg lens. Anyone hear the low voltage humming LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f4rloFf1Eo
Naw, just a HIGH VOLTAGE whine

Yabba
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang
Bought a #11 from ebay seller hxelepro360
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320776449211...84.m1439.l2649
the ad states:
The latest updated file will be installed in this item :

1. It removes the time and date
2. When the battery dies, the current recording is now saved, rather than lost.
3 Rather than creating a new file every 20 mins, it now creates a new one every 4GB.
4. The video files created can be edited as normal - no transcoding required.

Anybody know if the firmware version from hxelepro360 is one of the ones from here and if so which one is it?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3531
If not should I use the one the versions from the forum?
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Connect to the car charger and record for 1:20 minutes. If the largest file is exactly 70 min. long, you have the 70 min firmware. No need to load new firmware unless you don't like the time stamp and stop/save file length.

AND, if the firmware is the 70min. version, let the camera record for a lot longer than the theoretical max. video length possible with the card. If the camera doesn't turn off when the card is full (i.e. the camera is still warm) then you have the same version that is already available here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopropyl View Post
AND, if the firmware is the 70min. version, let the camera record for a lot longer than the theoretical max. video length possible with the card. If the camera doesn't turn off when the card is full (i.e. the camera is still warm) then you have the same version that is already available here.
Set the camera to the netbook via usb cable, inserted formatted Transcend class 10 8GB SDHC card, started recording video and left it alone for 110 minutes +/- 5 min. What I got was 2 .MOV flies
first one
1:10:00 @ 3.45GB
second one
00:35:05 @1.73GB
I don't know the gap between files as I should have been videoing a stop watch and should of started and stopped the recording at a exact time.
Is this a new firmware as the recording did not go the full 4GB and is not continuous?
Thanks
flashbang is offline Find More Posts by flashbang
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang
Bought a #11 from ebay seller hxelepro360
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320776449211...84.m1439.l2649
the ad states:
The latest updated file will be installed in this item :

1. It removes the time and date
2. When the battery dies, the current recording is now saved, rather than lost.
3 Rather than creating a new file every 20 mins, it now creates a new one every 4GB.
4. The video files created can be edited as normal - no transcoding required.

Anybody know if the firmware version from hxelepro360 is one of the ones from here and if so which one is it?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3531
If not should I use the one the versions from the forum?
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Connect to the car charger and record for 1:20 minutes. If the largest file is exactly 70 min. long, you have the 70 min firmware. No need to load new firmware unless you don't like the time stamp and stop/save file length.

Set the camera to the netbook via usb cable, inserted formatted Transcend class 10 8GB SDHC card, started recording video and left it alone for 110 minutes +/- 5 min. What I got was 2 .MOV flies
first one
1:10:00 @ 3.45GB
second one
00:35:05 @1.73GB
I don't know the gap between files as I should have been videoing a stop watch and should of started and stopped the recording at a exact time.
Is this a new firmware as the recording did not go the full 4GB and is not continuous?
Thanks
The gap between clips is only a few seconds. The listings in many of the web stores still say it comes with the 4GB firmware, but that firmware has a bug and does not continue recording. So most sellers now send with the 70 min. stop/save/continue firmware, but didn't change their ads (I've brought this to their attention).

You have the 70 min. firmware. All the firmware is available for download here.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:01 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
Naw, just a HIGH VOLTAGE whine

Yabba
I'll drink to that!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
The gap between clips is only a few seconds. The listings in many of the web stores still say it comes with the 4GB firmware, but that firmware has a bug and does not continue recording. So most sellers now send with the 70 min. stop/save/continue firmware, but didn't change their ads (I've brought this to their attention).

You have the 70 min. firmware. All the firmware is available for download here.
Thank you for all you have done and the countless hours of research and information gathering on this little camera. You and Isopropyl have done what the manufacturer could not do and it does not go unnoticed.
flashbang is offline Find More Posts by flashbang
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:32 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
What is the best way to mount the dealextreme lens to this Camera? What type of glue?
Mrj3cub,

Not sure what the best is without scientific testing. But I used J.B. Weld. It's a 2 part epoxy that looks like gray clay when mixed. Most use it when steel is involved.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:03 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
New Jumbo #11 Bike Mount

I just got word that a new bike handlebar mount is available from the verified Ebay seller eletech086. It will accomodate any of the three Jumbo camera case designs, and is included in some of the camera package offerings, or can be purchased separately for about $7 US, delivered.Here's a couple of pics of the mount:
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 29, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:35 AM
Stafford. UK.
Joined Feb 2009
88 Posts
You should be able to use one of the HD plugins for XP that will allow you to save HD video and download it to youtube.

http://www.bauer-power.net/2009/04/c...vie-maker.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk View Post
My experience on a XP netbook with WMP was it worked , but the sound lags...but that is only playing files from a #3 808 .WMP won't work on 720 Bloggie files either but the Quicktime will play them if the screen is small (1/2 size)

The biggest aggrevation I have with XP and (WMM) is I cannot save , nor upload HD files to YT...so I am (for now) left out of the HD loop until I do something about getting more horsepower (not what HP means on this netbook) or completely changing out the OS on this netbook to Win 7(not exciting)
draxx is offline Find More Posts by draxx
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:02 AM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
What kind of sd card does this camera take? I just got mine and it looks like a micro sd, but I am not entirely sure.
What size card can be used?
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcigg View Post
What kind of sd card does this camera take? I just got mine and it looks like a micro sd, but I am not entirely sure.
What size card can be used?
Yes, it's a micro SDHC (I think they are all "HC" these days). These are the smallest cards (physically) in the SD range. You can use any capacity up to 32GB, depending on how much video material you want to include. As a rule-of-thumb about 70 mins. per 4GB.

If you pop over to the #16 camera thread you can download the #16 instruction manual here. This manual has nothing to do with the #11, but the physical camera and card (with dimensions) are identical which may be useful to you.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:24 AM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Yes, it's a micro SDHC (I think they are all "HC" these days). These are the smallest cards (physically) in the SD range. You can use any capacity up to 32GB, depending on how much video material you want to include. As a rule-of-thumb about 70 mins. per 4GB.

If you pop over to the #16 camera thread you can download the #16 instruction manual here. This manual has nothing to do with the #11, but the physical camera and card (with dimensions) are identical which may be useful to you.
Thank you very much. I will check it out.
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
I hear what you are saying, but I, and the MANY posts here, can attest that the verified eBay sellers identified at the beginning of this thread are dedicated to end user satisfaction with the product. If a product is defective, it will be replaced. Of course you do have to send the defective product back, but that can be done for less than $5. A bit late for your situation, but the validated #16 (and to be #16 camera) sellers) are top notch, and can be trusted to back up their products.

Any sellers OTHER than those eBay sellers listed in my thread are re-sellers... buying off eBay and reselling locally for a profit. I don't have a problem with that if someone feels more comfortable that way, but I'd hate to have to deal with a small claims court for a $40 item... not worth the time and effort, but that's just me. Good luck with your camera.
Just in case anyone else stumbles across this and is curious, it turns out that you were 100% right. The sellers response to me can be summed up as "No refunds if it's been opened...since you had to open it to find out that it's broken, I can't refund your money." The seller then suggested that I contact HIS source to see if they would help me with an exchange. What was his source? Eletech086, one of the retailers on the RCGroups approved vendors list.

It's a moot issue for me as it turned out that my camera wasn't broken at all, but it does reinforce your point...buyers really are better off just purchasing from one of the source vendors at the beginning of this thread.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:16 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,022 Posts
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Been having a lot of fun with the camera - works great with no probs so far. Here's a vid of my Cobra ridge soaring on Xmas eve.

Cobra F3B glider ridge soaring at Raglan, NZ (5 min 51 sec)
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ModelAero Polaris Ultra
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Just in case anyone else stumbles across this and is curious, it turns out that you were 100% right. The sellers response to me can be summed up as "No refunds if it's been opened...since you had to open it to find out that it's broken, I can't refund your money." The seller then suggested that I contact HIS source to see if they would help me with an exchange. What was his source? Eletech086, one of the retailers on the RCGroups approved vendors list.

It's a moot issue for me as it turned out that my camera wasn't broken at all, but it does reinforce your point...buyers really are better off just purchasing from one of the source vendors at the beginning of this thread.
Thanks for the follow-up confirmation... glad it turned out to be a non-issue for you!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Hello all, I just received my new #11 jumbo camera. It seems to be a good working unit but I am having some problems with my video. I can't seem to get the video to fill my entire screen. I am using windows movie maker.

http://vimeo.com/34357590

Thanks for your help in advance,
Bruce
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Last edited by bah7566; Dec 29, 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added video link
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:30 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I
Quote:
can't seem to get the video to fill my entire screen.
Bruce, in WMM there should be a setting when you go to save the video as a finished product, when you look at the vimeo page home screen, the lower right corner says...about this video. You have saved the resolution as less than h.d. 640x480.!

When you are saving the final project in WMM you need to select either the 720x ??? or the 1280x720 to get the H.D. resolution that vimeo will then adjust for in the full screen format.

I have probly used the wrong terms here. And will probly be corrected, but I think its the right general idea.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:39 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
I tend to agree with the above statements.
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:46 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah7566 View Post
Hello all, I just received my new #11 jumbo camera. It seems to be a good working unit but I am having some problems with my video. I can't seem to get the video to fill my entire screen. I am using windows movie maker.
Thanks for your help in advance,
Bruce
What version of Windows? What version of WMM?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:32 AM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Quote:
I

Bruce, in WMM there should be a setting when you go to save the video as a finished product, when you look at the vimeo page home screen, the lower right corner says...about this video. You have saved the resolution as less than h.d. 640x480.!

When you are saving the final project in WMM you need to select either the 720x ??? or the 1280x720 to get the H.D. resolution that vimeo will then adjust for in the full screen format.

I have probly used the wrong terms here. And will probly be corrected, but I think its the right general idea.
OK, I will give that a try. Thank you.

Quote:
What version of Windows? What version of WMM?
I am running Windows 7 with WMM Version 2011.
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,077 Posts
I think everyone here is looking for an option to the GoPro and I don't think it is just because of cost but because of size and weight. The big flat face on the GoPro is a huge source of drag for an RC plane. The weight of the mounting bracket and the hard case on a GoPro could be designed to be much more aerodynamic.

I think the market is open for the first designer that has a wide angle 150-170 degree angle lens with image stabilizing and a 60 FPM video speed.

The wide angle lens would help a lot with stabilizing the image. A built in stabilizer would quiet it even more. Don't forget to use your image stabilizer on your editing program too.

The faster speed would help to stop the smear that happens when the camera is moving. Watch how the background goes out of focus as the camera pans across the scene.

I love the size and aerodynamics of the Keychain Camera. I think even the larger version size is OK, but I don't like the buttons. They are confusing and small and could be made much more simple.

How much would I be willing to pay for such a camera. I paid $300 for a GoPro and the hardware and if this could be updated to do a better job I would like it better.

Lee

Crashtesthobby
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:13 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I think everyone here is looking for an option to the GoPro and I don't think it is just because of cost but because of size and weight. The big flat face on the GoPro is a huge source of drag for an RC plane. The weight of the mounting bracket and the hard case on a GoPro could be designed to be much more aerodynamic.

I think the market is open for the first designer that has a wide angle 150-170 degree angle lens with image stabilizing and a 60 FPM video speed.

How much would I be willing to pay for such a camera. I paid $300 for a GoPro and the hardware and if this could be updated to do a better job I would like it better.

Lee

Crashtesthobby
Hi Lee

I agree with you except that 120deg AOV is probably wide enough for me, even then there's still some barrel distortion. You can get 120 deg by using the lens from a HK Wing cam, so that's $40 for the cam plus $35 for a HK Wing.

Tom Frank is working with his contacts see if they will provide us with something like that, or maybe HK will sell the lens alone..

Anyway this goes 18 grams, ok for an Assassin!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8296
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah7566 View Post
OK, I will give that a try. Thank you.

I am running Windows 7 with WMM Version 2011.
With W7 you should be running Windows LIVE MovieMaker (WLMM), much different from earlier WMM, and part of the Windows Live Essentials package that you need to download. If that is what you meant, open it, click on the "Project" tab, and then toggle on "Widescreen (16:9)" Then the output will be in the HD 16:9 aspect ratio and your HD video will have no black borders (letterboxing).
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 30, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Closed Thread