Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:11 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Ok, I'll go away now!
Be sure to come back... with your HD key cam vids!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:24 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Tom I misspoke, I ment to say wmv, the kb's are less.
Also I get the same static just wearing the hat cam while driving.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
What's not to like on this HD camera? It's small, lightweight and HD video. I don't give a hoot about the vignetting or the focus. I go back to the little edvr (l think that's what is called) I bought and tucked away who knows where when I bought a V3 key cam. Now, with this camera I am satisfied using it on a plane or as a hat cam. I bought a couple of emergency chargers (on the way) so I can rig it up with my hat cam and take videos all day long at the flying field. With all the freeware and other inexpensive video editing programs I now have (Video Pad & AVI Demux) I can quickly edit and annotate my videos. I don't even think of using Adobe Premiere Element or Windows Moviemaker are off the table for me.

Comparing this to the two Jazz HDV 178 camcorders I have it feels like an overweight relic when I compare the key cam to the Jazz.

All in all, what a hoot!

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:46 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
I really didn't mean to be critical of the HD808. For what it is - it's great. A miracle in fact. I just can't find a fit for my needs at present. Have fun, that's what this is all about. Got to admit the ZxD would look silly on my hat
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Also I get the same static just wearing the hat cam while driving.
AH... thank you for that info. That seems to confirm the camera is just picking up RFI noise from the ignition, with perhaps no way to suppress it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
I really didn't mean to be critical of the HD808. For what it is - it's great. A miracle in fact. I just can't find a fit for my needs at present. Have fun, that's what this is all about. Got to admit the ZxD would look silly on my hat
For $40 it is technological miracle. When I bought the Jazz HDV 178 for a $100 a few years ago I thought I found what I needed even though it was 5 ounces with battery. I found the V3 keycams and was amazed by the quality and lightweight package. And now the HD version. Best of all, I can velcro it to a plane or to my hat.

In another few years we will have that 60 FPS key cam with no vignetting. And, it will only cost $15. It's only a matter of time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:52 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Here's a video I took skiing today. Don't blame the 808HD for the pauses in the vid in a couple of places, the original files are smooth with no pauses. I blame myself for doing too many clips and removals from the original clips and also using Win Live Movie Maker on an ancient (3 years old) computer.

You can really notice the vignetting on this one because of the white snow.

Keyfob Bob Skiing (7 min 9 sec)

Yabba

Oh, btw, no banjo music but the YT music copyright police got me anyway
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:15 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Nice, Yabba.

You sure do get a lot of nice sunny winter days there. What's the temp like?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:26 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Yabba,

Very good. The snow covered your beautiful soccer field. How long before it melts?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:33 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post

Oh, btw, no banjo music but the YT music copyright police got me anyway
Actually, there are some good banjo versions of Wipeout floating around! You might also like the one by Bobby Badfingers. Or in my case Danny Dumbthumbs? LOL

Touch and goes on snow look easy, but it ain't so! Nice job!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:56 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Well Tom it didn't work. I added the on file next to the dcim on the root. Powered off then back on. It hesitated for a few then activated. I took a still and a short vid and got no date so, I added the file again and it must have bricked the cam because it just sits there. When I connect the usb the red light glows for a couple then turns off but trying to press the on/off button nothing happens. So now what should I do?
Tom J.
I should ad that I got Diana to remove the time stamp when I ordered the cam so I don't know if I did something wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Jan 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Actually, there are some good banjo versions of Wipeout floating around! You might also like the one by Bobby Badfingers. Or in my case Danny Dumbthumbs? LOL

Touch and goes on snow look easy, but it ain't so! Nice job!
LOL, Thanks Victa, I'll check it out

Tom and Bill, actually, I waited to long to go skiing, the temps have been in the low 50's the last couple of days and the snow (as you can see from the foot tracks) is going fast and was really too mushy for good skiing. Had fun though. It's suppose to be warm all this week so looks like we're headed back to the skool.

I hadn't flown at that place before and I really didn't like it. Too close to a main highway and the guy in charge says we can fly there but not to fly over the highway. So that means going to the south into the low sun. Plus there's a wicked rotor or something just as you are trying to get down after the little rise on the final approach from the east. Really kicks you around.

Yabba
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
I see Hobby-Lobby now has a HD version of the FlyCamOne, with more options of course, but you still can't beat this 808HD for the size and money!!!
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Well Tom it didn't work. I added the on file next to the dcim on the root. Powered off then back on. It hesitated for a few then activated. I took a still and a short vid and got no date so, I added the file again and it must have bricked the cam because it just sits there. When I connect the usb the red light glows for a couple then turns off but trying to press the on/off button nothing happens. So now what should I do?
Tom J.
I should ad that I got Diana to remove the time stamp when I ordered the cam so I don't know if I did something wrong.
Are you doing this with the USB cord connected to the camera? The camera must be disconnected from the PC USB port when doing this.

You shouldn't have to add the "ON" file again either, since it should still be there... it doesn't get automatically erased... you have to manually delete it or it will load the firmware eveytime you turn on the camera.

Might be worth going back to read the step by step instuctions I linked in post #3, and make sure you followed them exactly.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
I see Hobby-Lobby now has a HD version of the FlyCamOne, with more options of course, but you still can't beat this 808HD for the size and money!!!
Yeah... 4 times the cost... 3-1/2 times the weight... same video quality. But people will flock to it like they did they old one, because they see the ads for it, not knowing the HD key cam exists.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:17 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
857 Posts
I'm comparing the keychain and the Flycamone HD. The only thing the flycam might have is a remote shutter. I kinda want to to be able to control pics/videos in flight. Is there a remote shutter option for the keychain camera? Beyond that, its hard to justify an extra $110 for the same video quality.

Thanks!
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savall21 View Post
I'm comparing the keychain and the Flycamone HD. The only thing the flycam might have is a remote shutter. I kinda want to to be able to control pics/videos in flight. Is there a remote shutter option for the keychain camera? Beyond that, its hard to justify an extra $110 for the same video quality.

Thanks!
I know of no remote shutter option for the HD keycam. You are going to have to decide what's most important to you. Decisions, decisions.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
About Battery!

Hello guys.
I have a question about battery on new #11 camcorder version.

Early i was bought keychain ver #3 but i did not know about time charging of device and my camcorder not turn on - led not bright and when i put usb cable also nothing. Device Not i am afraid

Now i want to bought again keychain camcorder new version HD #11 on e-bay at 40$, but have a question about charging time.

Please reply if on new #11 version problem with battery and time charging about 1 hour is present? or i can plug device to USB or more time then one hour.

Big Thanks for reply my dear friends..

Sorry for my english...
alivestone is offline Find More Posts by alivestone
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:26 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
I really dont think a remote shutter option on the 808 camera would be very useful. The still pictures just plain suck!

Now if they can give us live composite video out while it records... Might be useful for FPV!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:46 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
857 Posts
That makes sense! I guess I will have to see if the Flycamone HD takes decent photos. At this point though I will probably still get the keychain cam.
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savall21 View Post

Thanks!
No plug and play shutter for the HD version (yet?) There was a hack done for the older 808 key chain camera by a user in Holland. It allowed emulating button clicks with a TX channel, and he was selling the parts for a DIY conversion, or the camera with the hack already installed. The price was very nominal, I thought. You search in "The MEGA key chain camera" thread and see if one could be devise for the HD version. The conversion was quite simple if you can solder on some small IC pins.

The HD key cam still pics appear to be upconverted about 2:1 from it's native CMOS pixel array, so they aren't as sharp as a more dedicated still picture camera, or even as good as some captured still frames from the video IMHO. The big question with the FCO HD is whether it REALLY has a 5 MP CMOS sensor like the specs say, or whether they are referring to it's still picture apparent pixel count, like the HD key cam does. This threw me at first, since the still pictures from the HD key cam have 5MP still photos after the up-conversion.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 15, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alivestone View Post
Hello guys.
I have a question about battery on new #11 camcorder version.

Early i was bought keychain ver #3 but i did not know about time charging of device and my camcorder not turn on - led not bright and when i put usb cable also nothing. Device Not i am afraid

Now i want to bought again keychain camcorder new version HD #11 on e-bay at 40$, but have a question about charging time.

Please reply if on new #11 version problem with battery and time charging about 1 hour is present? or i can plug device to USB or more time then one hour.

Big Thanks for reply my dear friends..

Sorry for my english...
The charge time is about one hour... depends on how far down you run the battery, of course! But the good thing is the LED indicator works like it should when connected to a standard USB plug charger or the computers USB port... the red LED stays lit to show the battery is charging, and then goes out when it is charged. HOWEVER, this is NOT the case with the car charger cable that comes with it. It will NOT light the red LED at all, but it WILL charge the battery AND also allow the camera to go into the video record mode while it is charging, i.e. the car charger power supply is in series with the camera's internal battery for unlimited recording time, up to the capacity of your flash card. It does this by supplying +5V on pin #4 of it's USB plug instead of the normal pin#1, according to our thread circuit sleuths!

A normal generic charger WILL charge the battery but will not allow the camera to toggle into the record mode while it's connected. BUT, if you start a recording with the camera's internal battery power FIRST, and THEN connect the camera to the generic charger, it WILL continue to power the camera until the recording process is stopped. If the camera stops recording momentarily due to the 20 min. stop/save/continue recording function, it will NOT resume recording if using a generic USB power supply. The special USB power plug as described above is needed for recording to resume. BUt if you have flashed in the continuous recording firmware, this procedure using a generic USB power supply will power the camera until the flash memory card is full.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 03, 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: updated info on generic chargers
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The charge time is about one hour... depends on how far down you run the battery, of course! But the good thing is the LED indicator works like it should when connected to a standard USB plug charger or the computers USB port... the red LED stays lit to show the battery is charging, and then goes out when it is charged. HOWEVER, this is NOT the case with the car charger cable that comes with it. It will NOT light the red LED at all, but it WILL charge the battery AND also allow the camera to go into the video record mode while it is charging, i.e. the car charger power supply is in series with the camera's internal battery for unlimited recording time, up to the capacity of your flash card. It does this by supplying +5V on pin #4 of it's USB plug instead of the normal pin#1, according to our thread circuit sleuths!
Thanks for reply.

I just want to know if i do charging my camcorder #11 with USB longer then 1 hour - battery is not die on new version recorder? like as #3 ver.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
I can't say that it wont kill it eventually, but I have left mine plugged in charging overnight, forgot about it... Still works fine! The red LED cuts off when it's done charging. Maybe there's a circuit inside that protects the battery... Pure speculation on my part though...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
The vendor circuit board picture shown in Post #2 identifies a small IC on the circuit board that reportedly manages the battery charging. It is unknown how it functions, but this is different from the old 808 cameras, which have a small circuit board packaged with the battery that was reported to merely bracket the camera voltage, i.e. shut off camera power when battery dropped below a minimum level, and shut off the charger when the voltage to the battery exceeded a maximum value. So the charge cycle may not have been optimal for that camera... i.e. no controlled CC/CV stages.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Quote:
Are you doing this with the USB cord connected to the camera? The camera must be disconnected from the PC USB port when doing this.

You shouldn't have to add the "ON" file again either, since it should still be there... it doesn't get automatically erased... you have to manually delete it or it will load the firmware eveytime you turn on the camera.

Might be worth going back to read the step by step instuctions I linked in post #3, and make sure you followed them exactly.
Yes I believe I followed them step by step. The first time I turned it on it took s moment for the yellow light to come on as expected. I took two still picks and a short movie, checked in my computer to view the files and no time mark on the images or vid. I hooked it up again and attempted to go at it again and it won't turn on at all. So I guess its start over or get a chip?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Yes I believe I followed them step by step. The first time I turned it on it took s moment for the yellow light to come on as expected. I took two still picks and a short movie, checked in my computer to view the files and no time mark on the images or vid. I hooked it up again and attempted to go at it again and it won't turn on at all. So I guess its start over or get a chip?
Not sure what to tell you, assuming you started with the correct firmware file, made SURE the battery was well charged (so it doesn't lose power while it's flashing in new firmwareI. If you took some shots after flashing the memory, then that process didn't brick it, assuming the video files you looked at on the card afterwards were not old ones put there before you did the firmware update.

If you pushed the reset button and get no activity of any kind when hooked to the PC USB, the only thing left to try is to unsolder one battery lead, wait a few minutes, then solder it back and see if the camera will respond/charge, etc. That has worked with some cams.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Quote:
the only thing left to try is to unsolder one battery lead, wait a few minutes, then solder it back and see if the camera will respond/charge, etc. That has worked with some cams.
I was wondering if total dissconnect would help. I still think I toasted it but I just clipped the neg wire. I may have hit the vid button at the same time I tried to power it up when this happened. fat fingers. How long about ten min or so?

EDIT: gave it 10 min and reconnected, no luck. Airchime I must have gotten the older version that bricks when using the on/off file. I'm quessing that brick means the firmware got corrupted?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Jan 15, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:42 PM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
Time/date removal on the 2 I just received worked like a charm! LOVING IT!
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:33 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Subscribed (I know... i'm late to the party).

Just found out about these today... can't wait to order a few.

Now onto reading the first 48 pages of this thread.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer View Post
Subscribed (I know... i'm late to the party).

Just found out about these today... can't wait to order a few.

Now onto reading the first 48 pages of this thread.
The first page and the first few posts has some key, summary information. The rest are video samples, frustration people have with bricking the camera when they remove the time stamp or trying to re-focus for longer distances. And, of course, there are some really bright people who post about the electronics of the the little camera. Enjoy, and welcome to the thread.

The most helpful person is the thread starter, Tom Frank.

In addition, you should bookmark Chucklohr.com. It is a blog of all the different types of keychain cameras. I believe this HD version is # 11.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 15, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
I was wondering if total dissconnect would help. I still think I toasted it but I just clipped the neg wire. I may have hit the vid button at the same time I tried to power it up when this happened. fat fingers. How long about ten min or so?

EDIT: gave it 10 min and reconnected, no luck. Airchime I must have gotten the older version that bricks when using the on/off file. I'm quessing that brick means the firmware got corrupted?
The only two people who said theirs bricked also said the camera did not come back on after the firmware flash procedure. Again, you said you took some pics and vids AFTER you flashed the firmware, and that worked except the date was still there. You said you were trying to turn ON the date/time stamp? Did yours come with it already turned off? They normally come with the date stamp already on. So, something else is going on with yours that is different.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:37 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:

It is possible to brick these cameras if you open the case and handle the BARE circuit board with BARE hands. Did you do that by any chance (before you disconnected the battery)?

Anyway, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work... could be infancy electrical failure of some kind. I'd try to get a replacement rather than solder in a new IC if it were me... too many strange things with yours that doesn't follow the norm. Good luck!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
It is possible to brick these cameras if you open the case and handle the BARE circuit board with BARE hands. Did you do that by any chance (before you disconnected the battery)?

Anyway, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work... could be infancy electrical failure of some kind. I'd try to get a replacement rather than solder in a new IC if it were me... too many strange things with yours that doesn't follow the norm. Good luck!
I am lucky with how I handled my HD key cam when I opened it to adjust the focus. Geeze, the electronic guts fell right out and I handled it like a pickle that fell off my hamburger bun. I just bare fingered it and stuffed it back in place. No, I did not ground myself, but I don't live in dry climate.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I am lucky with how I handled my HD key cam when I opened it to adjust the focus. Geeze, the electronic guts fell right out and I handled it like pickle that fell off my hamburger bun. I just bare fingered it and stuffed it back in place. No, I did not ground myself, but I don't live in dry climate.

Bill
It's not dry here either... certainly not this time of year. I'm not convinced it was static that did two of my old 808's in, but rather handling with the camera turned on trying to focus it with a webcam hook up. I wrap the circuitboard with tape now when doing anything with it open... seems to do the job.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Photo mode

When i can view what quality of photos make this #11 device version? interesting non video screens.

Please do some photos in indoor and outdoor samples in photo mode.

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:44 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Photos

Here you go.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Ordered mine. Can't wait.

Tom Frank, any luck with removing the 20 minute limit?
anemene is offline Find More Posts by anemene
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:46 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anemene View Post
Ordered mine. Can't wait.

Tom Frank, any luck with removing the 20 minute limit?
Not yet. I was told they could do it if there was enough demand. They seem to feel 20 min. stop/save function is preferred by most users. I'm not one of them as long as I have plenty of battery life, and now that the external "emergency charger" is available, the recording time can be boosted to about 5 hours +- an hour with a single 2000 mAh AA cell.

The more people that ask for this, the better then chances of a new firmware for this, but i'd want to still be able to keep the date stamp turned off along with it.

I'll ask My Camera Guy one more time.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:53 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Not yet. I was told they could do it if there was enough demand. They seem to feel 20 min. stop/save function is preferred by most users. I'm not one of them as long as I have plenty of battery life, and now that the external "emergency charger" is available, the recording time can be boosted to about 5 hours +- an hour with a single 2000 mAh AA cell.

The more people that ask for this, the better then chances of a new firmware for this, but i'd want to still be able to keep the date stamp turned off along with it.

Hi Tom,

I would prefer no save and continue function so long as the camera can reliably save the file when a low battery is detected.

As for the recording time on a single AA cell; Unless you have determined it yourself I would expect the up time to be much less than that. These things can be hopelessly inefficient as the voltage is stepped up in the emergency charger and stepped down in the camera charge circuit. I would not be too surprised if it was only about 60 to 90 mins. I hope I'm wrong!

Simon
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:16 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Yes, I think the same. Assume you take a 2000 mAh AA battery at 1.3 V or so. Needs to be stepped up 4x to get 5V. So it would need 4x the current. So you end up with an equivalent 500 mAh 5 V battery, IF conversion is at 100% efficiency... Then it needs to go through the charger circuit (I assume it charges the internal battery, like the car adaptor). So in the end, so I would be curious to see if 5 hrs recording time is really achieveable...

But for sure it will be longer than standard .
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:32 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Tom.
There is a problem with the 'normal' FAT32 format used on Flash cards - a limit of 4 gigabyte file size.
the 20min save and re-open yealds a file less than 2 Gigabytes long, & Looking at the numbers, that is probably a safe value, as 2gig is the max if the 32bit number used to store file length is used as a Signed Integer, 4 gig if it is used as an Unsigned Integer - a common GotchYa for programmers.
So - removing the 20min close/opennew restrictiion will rusult in a quiet phffut as the fileing system retires hurt, or at least garbages the file....
Mike
See link http://www.buzzle.com/articles/fat32...ize-limit.html

Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:47 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Earlier there was mention of a dedicated battery charger chip on the camera board.
There are such chips available, and implement the 'normal' Lipo charge cyclye :-
Charge at Constant Current ( usually 1C e.g. 240mA for a 240 mAh cell) until the cell voltage is 4.2vots.
Then charge at Constant Voltage until the current drops to (typically) less than 10% of the CC rate.
The battery is now fully charged.
This accounts for the brief red flash when a fully charged camera is plugged into USB - the charger chip goes through all phases very quickly.
Mike
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:14 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Yes, I think the same. Assume you take a 2000 mAh AA battery at 1.3 V or so. Needs to be stepped up 4x to get 5V. So it would need 4x the current. So you end up with an equivalent 500 mAh 5 V battery, IF conversion is at 100% efficiency... Then it needs to go through the charger circuit (I assume it charges the internal battery, like the car adaptor). So in the end, so I would be curious to see if 5 hrs recording time is really achieveable...

with a bit of a hackapendectomy you could fit at 5000 mAh NMIH cell e.g. http://www.overlander.co.uk/batterie...?prop_size=197
Which could give you apx 3 hrs...
Mike
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:25 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
On my #7, I just removed the battery and added a servo connector. Can run off the balance tap of a big lipo, or the original lipo externally

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6684
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:41 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
But the internal clock will stop without battery, so will have to be reset each time you power up.
Mike
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:45 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
But the internal clock will stop without battery, so will have to be reset each time you power up.
Mike
With the #7, you lose the date/time setting but not the user configured firmware. Since most of you remove the date/time, it's probably not a problem. But please don't brick your camera to prove me wrong!!

PS - disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting acts like a hard reset, the cam is ready to use
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
The first page and the first few posts has some key, summary information. The rest are video samples, frustration people have with bricking the camera when they remove the time stamp or trying to re-focus for longer distances. And, of course, there are some really bright people who post about the electronics of the the little camera. Enjoy, and welcome to the thread.

The most helpful person is the thread starter, Tom Frank.

In addition, you should bookmark Chucklohr.com. It is a blog of all the different types of keychain cameras. I believe this HD version is # 11.
Thanks for the info (and saving me a lot of time reading through the whole thread).

Tom Frank sure did an excellent job keeping everything organized.

I plan on ordering one or two of these HD key chain cams in the next few weeks... can't wait!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
Hi Wattage Electrics - Cool
Jordan, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
620 Posts
Wow great thread. I stumbled upon this just in time, I was about the order the new FlycamoneHD cams but order one of these instead

Cheap enough to put on a floatplane and get a little crazy.

Wayne
Rad Racer is offline Find More Posts by Rad Racer
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Racer View Post
Wow great thread. I stumbled upon this just in time, I was about the order the new FlycamoneHD cams but order one of these instead

Cheap enough to put on a floatplane and get a little crazy.

Wayne
Wayne,

It is just very practical solution to those who want to take on board videos. You can simply just use it or go through improving it by removing the time stamp or refocusing it. If you want simple, just charge it, slap on a piece of good velcro (fuzzy side on the camera and hook on the plane). To aid adhesion I use Uhu Creativ contact cement for foam to really bond the velcro.

Enjoy.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:16 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer View Post
Thanks for the info (and saving me a lot of time reading through the whole thread).

Tom Frank sure did an excellent job keeping everything organized.

I plan on ordering one or two of these HD key chain cams in the next few weeks... can't wait!
BD,

Thanking Tom Frank is a great idea. He devotes a lot of time and energy to this topic. It's most appreciated.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Quote:
The only two people who said theirs bricked also said the camera did not come back on after the firmware flash procedure. Again, you said you took some pics and vids AFTER you flashed the firmware, and that worked except the date was still there. You said you were trying to turn ON the date/time stamp? Did yours come with it already turned off? They normally come with the date stamp already on. So, something else is going on with yours that is different.
I got Diana to remove the time stamp for me before it was shipped. And I was trying to ad the time ON file for todays speed runs but it didn't work. I thought the first go round didn't take thats why I added it the second time then blank.
After correspondence with Diana it will be resolved but not today
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Hi Tom,

I would prefer no save and continue function so long as the camera can reliably save the file when a low battery is detected.

As for the recording time on a single AA cell; Unless you have determined it yourself I would expect the up time to be much less than that. These things can be hopelessly inefficient as the voltage is stepped up in the emergency charger and stepped down in the camera charge circuit. I would not be too surprised if it was only about 60 to 90 mins. I hope I'm wrong!

Simon
Good points guys... I have not tested the external emergency charger, and I did not consider efficiency losses. The 5 hours was an off the cuff WAG, without much thinking involved!

I don't know if I mentioned, though, that My Camera Guy has told me they are developing a new version that can record for about 4 hours. I don't have any details, though. He was asking what users prefer on the stop/record/continue function. There's no one answer for that obviously. I have another HD camera that records continuously, and will stop/save a the file if battery condition gets too low, so that's my preference. I gave feed back they need to add that function as a minimum. The existing HD key cam does not save a file when the battery gets low, so the segmented recordings are probably a good idea for it if you can't afford to lose a clip.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
I got Diana to remove the time stamp for me before it was shipped. And I was trying to ad the time ON file for todays speed runs but it didn't work. I thought the first go round didn't take thats why I added it the second time then blank.
After correspondence with Diana it will be resolved but not today
ApexAero,

Glad to read this will be resolved.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Tom.
There is a problem with the 'normal' FAT32 format used on Flash cards - a limit of 4 gigabyte file size.
the 20min save and re-open yealds a file less than 2 Gigabytes long, & Looking at the numbers, that is probably a safe value, as 2gig is the max if the 32bit number used to store file length is used as a Signed Integer, 4 gig if it is used as an Unsigned Integer - a common GotchYa for programmers.
So - removing the 20min close/opennew restrictiion will rusult in a quiet phffut as the fileing system retires hurt, or at least garbages the file....
Mike
See link http://www.buzzle.com/articles/fat32...ize-limit.html

Mike
Yes, I knew about file size limits, but have never tested to see what happens when its exceeded... i.e. does the whole file get trashed, or does the file get closed with the end truncated? My HD key cam always seems to average right around 7Mbps data rate, and my 20 min. files are about 1.05 GB in size. I know some people are reporting AVERAGE data rates up to 10Mbps, but I haven't seen it on mine... don't know why the big differences.

My JAZZ HD camera shoots very good 1280x720 @ 30 fps video (a little better than the HD key cam due to it's better lens and real 5MP sensor) with an average data rate of only about 4.2Mbps, so I think the the HD key cam could actually benefit (given the lower quality optics) by reducing the data rate a bit and the file sizes along with it. But I digress...

My main gripe with the stop/save/continue (S/S/C) on this camera is I fly up to 30 min. with some planes, and would like uninterrupted video. I think they could double it to 40 min., and still easily contain the video on a 4 GB flash card if the battery would last that long, which mine does for now while its new and healthy

I've confirmed the file is saved when the card fills up, and the file is not saved when the battery gets low, so the big issue is battery life with the S/S/C function. If it were 30 min. instead of 20 min., I probably would not care as much.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Earlier there was mention of a dedicated battery charger chip on the camera board.
There are such chips available, and implement the 'normal' Lipo charge cyclye :-
Charge at Constant Current ( usually 1C e.g. 240mA for a 240 mAh cell) until the cell voltage is 4.2vots.
Then charge at Constant Voltage until the current drops to (typically) less than 10% of the CC rate.
The battery is now fully charged.
This accounts for the brief red flash when a fully charged camera is plugged into USB - the charger chip goes through all phases very quickly.
Mike
Makes sense... thanks for the info.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Update on external charger and Stop/Save/Continue function

Quote:
They seem to feel 20 min. stop/save function is preferred by most users. I'm not one of them as long as I have plenty of battery life, and now that the external "emergency charger" is available, the recording time can be boosted to about 5 hours +- an hour with a single 2000 mAh AA cell.

I'll reply to myself to update this.

My Camera Guy said they WILL be doing a firmware mod to allow continuous recording. But it won't be done until sometime after the Chinese New Years holiday, which lasts about 2 weeks or so as I recall. So sit tight, and maybe well have a fix soon. I've requested that the date stamp removal be retained with this additional mod.

Also, they have decided to STOP selling the external "emergency charger" as a separate item on eBay... probably because it's going to be included as an accessory with the camera. But if you want one, My Camera Guy said you could email him directly and he could sell one separately off eBay. Also, now that we know how the car charger works by moving the USB +5V from pin #1 to pin #4, you could also buy one of the similar chargers for cell phones, and modify it for use with the camera.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
BD,

Thanking Tom Frank is a great idea. He devotes a lot of time and energy to this topic. It's most appreciated.

Bill
Bill, et. al.

Thanks for the kudos on the thread... they have not gone unnoticed and are appreciated!

I'll admit more time has gone into this than I thought when I started this... I guess I underestimated how fast the HD key cam following would grow. BUT, as more things are discovered and questions get asked, answered, and documented with links in the FAQ Post #3, it will save a lot of time and posting for every one later. When some one asks a question you know is answered in the FAQ, you can just refer them to Post #3!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:46 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:

Also, they have decided to STOP selling the external "emergency charger" as a separate item on eBay... probably because it's going to be included as an accessory with the camera. But if you want one, My Camera Guy said you could email him directly and he could sell one separately off eBay. Also, now that we know how the car charger works by moving the USB +5V from pin #1 to pin #4, you could also buy one of the similar chargers for cell phones, and modify it for use with the camera.
I bought two of them on ebay. They are on the way.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,404 Posts
Slightly off-topic, I apologize. But is there a non-HD key chain cam thread? I have a ton of trouble with mine, and would love to get some input.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Slightly off-topic, I apologize. But is there a non-HD key chain cam thread? I have a ton of trouble with mine, and would love to get some input.
See "The MEGA Keyfob Camera thread in this same forum".
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 16, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:03 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Join the club at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115052

Iam also having troubles. You can see it in one of my last posts there.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:15 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I knew about file size limits, but have never tested to see what happens when its exceeded... i.e. does the whole file get trashed, or does the file get closed with the end truncated? My HD key cam always seems to average right around 7Mbps data rate, and my 20 min. files are about 1.05 GB in size. I know some people are reporting AVERAGE data rates up to 10Mbps, but I haven't seen it on mine... don't know why the big differences.

My JAZZ HD camera shoots very good 1280x720 @ 30 fps video (a little better than the HD key cam due to it's better lens and real 5MP sensor) with an average data rate of only about 4.2Mbps, so I think the the HD key cam could actually benefit (given the lower quality optics) by reducing the data rate a bit and the file sizes along with it. But I digress...

My main gripe with the stop/save/continue (S/S/C) on this camera is I fly up to 30 min. with some planes, and would like uninterrupted video. I think they could double it to 40 min., and still easily contain the video on a 4 GB flash card if the battery would last that long, which mine does for now while its new and healthy

I've confirmed the file is saved when the card fills up, and the file is not saved when the battery gets low, so the big issue is battery life with the S/S/C function. If it were 30 min. instead of 20 min., I probably would not care as much.
Yes I agree there, a less conservative close/Opennew of 40 mins sounds safe, 60mins if the programmer likes running the tube
Lets C what the Cnewyear brings..
Mike
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
My Camera Guy said they WILL be doing a firmware mod to allow continuous recording. But it won't be done until sometime after the Chinese New Years holiday, which lasts about 2 weeks or so as I recall. So sit tight, and maybe well have a fix soon. I've requested that the date stamp removal be retained with this additional mod.
Uhoh, you guys better sit back and pop a couple of cold ones. Might be little while.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/chinesenewyear1.html

Looks like a month out (to the end)

Yabba
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:17 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
I just got my camera from eletoponline365 but I can't seem to get it to work.

If I push the power button (the bigger of the two buttons) the yellow led starts flashing: on about a second, off about 1/2 sec and just continues to do that over and over again.

Pushing the "shutter" button (at least that is what the instructions called it, the smaller of the two buttons) doesn't have any effect at all, led just keeps flashing yellow as above.

Pusthing the power button again once it is flashing as above will cause the yellow led to flash once quickly and then it returns to the 1 second on:1/2 off yellow flashing.

Eventually after a couple minutes of not pushing any buttons and the unit turns itself off again.

Plugging in the usb cable and the red charging light comes on and stays on (until charged up and it turns off).

Pushing the power button when the usb is connected causes it to alternate between red and yellow led flashing and I get a "Removable Diske E:" on my computer which if I open I get "DCIM" and in that folder I get "100MEDIA". Sounds promising, but I never get anything inside 100MEDIA no matter what series of buttons I push to try to get it into either video or still picture mode (with or without the usb cable attached). If I right click on E: it tells me it is FAT with 8,192 bytes used and 970,752 bytes free (that seems might small - isn't this thing supposed to have an internal 512Mbyte memory?).

The only recording mode I've ever gotten it into is as a usb camera (those instructions - post 427 - are the only ones that seem to work).

Am I just incredibly dense/stupid when it comes to trying to follow simple instructions or is something wrong with my camera?

Thanks
Tim
Tim Cullip is offline Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,404 Posts
Quote:
See "The MEGA Keyfob Camera thread in this same forum".
Thannks, Sir!
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:22 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullip View Post
I just got my camera from eletoponline365 but I can't seem to get it to work.

If I push the power button (the bigger of the two buttons) the yellow led starts flashing: on about a second, off about 1/2 sec and just continues to do that over and over again.

Pushing the "shutter" button (at least that is what the instructions called it, the smaller of the two buttons) doesn't have any effect at all, led just keeps flashing yellow as above.

Pusthing the power button again once it is flashing as above will cause the yellow led to flash once quickly and then it returns to the 1 second on:1/2 off yellow flashing.

Eventually after a couple minutes of not pushing any buttons and the unit turns itself off again.

Plugging in the usb cable and the red charging light comes on and stays on (until charged up and it turns off).

Pushing the power button when the usb is connected causes it to alternate between red and yellow led flashing and I get a "Removable Diske E:" on my computer which if I open I get "DCIM" and in that folder I get "100MEDIA". Sounds promising, but I never get anything inside 100MEDIA no matter what series of buttons I push to try to get it into either video or still picture mode (with or without the usb cable attached). If I right click on E: it tells me it is FAT with 8,192 bytes used and 970,752 bytes free (that seems might small - isn't this thing supposed to have an internal 512Mbyte memory?).

The only recording mode I've ever gotten it into is as a usb camera (those instructions - post 427 - are the only ones that seem to work).

Am I just incredibly dense/stupid when it comes to trying to follow simple instructions or is something wrong with my camera?

Thanks
Tim
Tim,

Did you install a micro card?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
There's no internal memory used for storage, that 512MB Hynix chip is only used as a buffer for the camera. You HAVE to have a memory card in it to use it. With no memory card, the camera will turn on, blink exactly as you describe, then turn off.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
BD,

Bill
Yup, Tom Frank is an awesome member of this forum. I remember I had problems with a few of my micro cameras (FlyCamOne 2, key chain cam, gum cam, etc.) last year. I couldn't get the video to show up on my computer. So I posted my question on another thread about the key chain cameras and sure enough Tom Frank sent me a PM and helped me get all of the cameras working. He saved me a lot of time and money (I probably would have through the cameras out).

So a big thanks to Tom Frank. We would be nowhere with these key chain cameras without him.

Bill
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:38 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
There's no internal memory used for storage, that 512MB Hynix chip is only used as a buffer for the camera. You HAVE to have a memory card in it to use it. With no memory card, the camera will turn on, blink exactly as you describe, then turn off.
Thanks for the response.

Okay, I guess I am incredibly stupid No I didn't install an external memory card - thought the internal one would be used if no external one was iinstalled. Managed to get through 32 pages of posts without anyone else posting about that (guess no one else is quite as ignorant as I am ).

Any particular things to look for when I go shopping for an external card?

Thanks,
Tim
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Okay, I guess I am incredibly stupid No I didn't install an external memory card - thought the internal one would be used if no external one was iinstalled. Managed to get through 32 pages of posts without anyone else posting about that (guess no one else is quite as ignorant as I am ).

Thanks,
Tim
Tim,

You want a fast read / write card. I have bought Kingston Class 4 cards (4GB and 8 GB) from Amazon.com. Some cards (class 2) or what's on sale no name micro cards are not very good capturing video with these camaeras. Their slowness results in video that hangs and stutters.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
Just make sure you get one fast enough for the camera... The seller's say to get at least a class 4, but the "class" rating doesn't tell all. So far it seems these HD cameras are less picky about which cards they'll work with than the old cameras. Personally I've used a Patriot class 10, and a Sandisk class 4. Others say the Transcend cards are good. Cards are cheap though, and if you have another device that uses them like a phone, then even one too slow for the camera won't be a total loss... Look through the thread and see what others are using and try to find one cheap, and you're sure to come out good!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Just make sure you get one fast enough for the camera... The seller's say to get at least a class 4, but the "class" rating doesn't tell all. So far it seems these HD cameras are less picky about which cards they'll work with than the old cameras. Personally I've used a Patriot class 10, and a Sandisk class 4. Others say the Transcend cards are good. Cards are cheap though, and if you have another device that uses them like a phone, then even one too slow for the camera won't be a total loss... Look through the thread and see what others are using and try to find one cheap, and you're sure to come out good!
The Kingston Class 4 works well but choosing it was luck.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim,
Did you get a small folded slip of instructions with your camera? If not, that is where your problems started. If you did get it and were so excited with the camera that you didn't take time to read the function description, then THAT would be where your problems started!

The instructions are written in broken English, admittedly, but the symptoms your camera showed is described in item No. 3 in the "Function description" paragraph.

Another person is consolidating camera instructions written in more correct English soon, and I will be adding the link to the FAQs in Post #3. Sorry you had so much trouble.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:12 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tim,
Did you get a small folded slip of instructions with your camera? If not, that is where your problems started. If you did get it and were so excited with the camera that you didn't take time to read the function description, then THAT would be where your problems started!

The instructions are written in broken English, admittedly, but the symptoms your camera showed is described in item No. 3 in the "Function description" paragraph.

Another person is consolidating camera instructions written in more correct English soon, and I will be adding the link to the FAQs in Post #3. Sorry you had so much trouble.
Yes I did get the instruction sheet and "broken english" is an understatement. But now that it has been explained that an external memory card is necessary I went back and reread those instructions more carefully and #3 does say:

"3. Turn on camera without card, machine turn off after light slow flash 30 seconds."

Had so much trouble trying to understand the other instructions, guess I skipped over #3. Fairly well describes my symptoms. Simple case of RT*M.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Yes I did get the instruction sheet and "broken english" is an understatement. But now that it has been explained that an external memory card is necessary I went back and reread those instructions more carefully and #3 does say:

"3. Turn on camera without card, machine turn off after light slow flash 30 seconds."

Had so much trouble trying to understand the other instructions, guess I skipped over #3. Fairly well describes my symptoms. Simple case of RT*M.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim,

Don't feel bad. It is the male gene that inhibits studying instructions or asking for directions when driving.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Feb 2010
55 Posts
Quote:

The problem may be that in any existing charger, it's unlikely pin 4 of the mini-USB connector will be connected to anything, unless it is grounded inside the connector. So you would be looking at having to either cut into the connector to rearrange things, or buy a new connector.
wayback is offline Find More Posts by wayback
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Tim
I forgot... I prefer Transcend Class 6 cards... fastest card over all for the money IMHO. And this place has the best prices I've found... $10.60 with free delivery in the US. You can sometimes also get good deals at Amazon.com and NewEgg.com for online shopping. A 4GB card will store a little under 80 minutes of video, but the camera battery only lasts about half that long on a charge.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayback View Post
The problem may be that in any existing charger, it's unlikely pin 4 of the mini-USB connector will be connected to anything, unless it is grounded inside the connector. So you would be looking at having to either cut into the connector to rearrange things, or buy a new connector.
Yes... that's what I meant when I said you could modify a generic charger, like we were discussing back in this post.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:52 AM
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2009
220 Posts
Hey guys,
could anyone give me info about how much capturing time you get from 2gb, 4gb, 8gb memory cards?
Thank you :
DerClown is offline Find More Posts by DerClown
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:53 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerClown View Post
Hey guys,
could anyone give me info about how much capturing time you get from 2gb, 4gb, 8gb memory cards?
Thank you :
look 2 posts back at #778 and then do a little maths.
Mike
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:22 AM
HBZ Champ Bush Edition + DX6i
Espoo, Finland
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Any photos of barebone installations of this cam - I am planning to use this with HBZ Champ, and hence need to shave all excess weight, including the case (not sure about the battery - could draw power from the flight battery, but not sure if I want to cut down the flight time).

I would assume a shrinkwrap could do the trick (just remove the case and wrap the whole thing, incl. battery, and cut a hole for USB charge port)?
feath3r is offline Find More Posts by feath3r
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:25 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feath3r View Post
Any photos of barebone installations of this cam - I am planning to use this with HBZ Champ, and hence need to shave all excess weight, including the case (not sure about the battery - could draw power from the flight battery, but not sure if I want to cut down the flight time).

I would assume a shrinkwrap could do the trick (just remove the case and wrap the whole thing, incl. battery, and cut a hole for USB charge port)?
The camera only weighs 15 grams or about .5 ounce.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:40 AM
HBZ Champ Bush Edition + DX6i
Espoo, Finland
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
The camera only weighs 15 grams or about .5 ounce.
Yes, that's correct, and saw some photos of a barebone (without a case) weighting 9.7 grams, so around 30 percent weight loss is possible. On a 37 g plane 5 g makes a difference already Not sure though if the operation of the camera will become a burden without the proper buttons (mine's still in the mail)
feath3r is offline Find More Posts by feath3r
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:16 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's correct, and saw some photos of a barebone (without a case) weighting 9.7 grams, so around 30 percent weight loss is possible. On a 37 g plane 5 g makes a difference already Not sure though if the operation of the camera will become a burden without the proper buttons (mine's still in the mail)
Did you see Yabba's answer to your original question? (post 662 here)
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Quote:

I have mounted the regular SD 808 on the bottom of a Champ, and it flew fine with no modification to the camera. I don't know what your experience with electronics is, but these little things are fragile. My own recommendation would be to leave it in the case; I ruined one last week just by trying to focus it. Although I thought I was being careful, I shorted something and POOF, the camera was dead. I would assume the HD model is just as fragile as the SD model.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
Ithaca, NY
Joined Jan 2011
70 Posts
Hey guys, stepped up from lurking.
I have experience with two previous models of the gumstick cam. One shoots 640x480, the other has a "fake" HD of 1280x720, but it really just upconverted 640x480. I went looking to see if they had a true HD version out yet, and stumbled upon Chucklor's site referencing the 808 cameras. I saw there was a new #11 HD version, and was linked over to this thread. I read a little of the first page, and ordered one from eletoponline.

My first question was going to be recommended SD card. I've got a 4GB SDHC class 4 PNY card, so I think that will be fast enough (I hope). Recent posts say that will record about 80 minutes of video. But I'm surprised that it only gives about 40 minutes of recording on a battery charge? My other two cams run almost 2 hours, so I'll have to get used to this limitation. Still, I'm really looking forward to h264 over mjpeg and true HD.

Also, I'm not following this 'new firmware' with continuous shooting that may come out after the Chinese New Year. On my other two cameras the movie was always saved continuously, so even if you run it to dead battery, the movie is saved. Is that not the case with this current firmware? Will I need to recover the camera before the battery dies and push the shutter button?
Fred79 is offline Find More Posts by Fred79
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
Thanks to all for pointing out that I needed a memory card. Went out and bought one and now the camera works fine. Amazing video quality for such a small camera. Looking forward to using this alot, both as an inflight camera and as a hands-free flight video recorder (attached to a ballcap or to my glasses).

Tim
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to all for pointing out that I needed a memory card. Went out and bought one and now the camera works fine. Amazing video quality for such a small camera. Looking forward to using this alot, both as an inflight camera and as a hands-free flight video recorder (attached to a ballcap or to my glasses).

Tim
Tim,

All is good. Congratulations.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Without the case, the lens module will just dangle from it's ribbon cable... VIBRATION! Poor video and stress the cable. As a minimum, put heat shrink over the whole circuit board to stabilize the lens and prevent shorting the board and bricking it (VERY easy to do with bare hand handling).

People have flown the camera on these tiny planes WITH the case.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 17, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:43 PM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
Quote:

I decased one of my SD #3's right after I got it. The buttons are easy to press on the bare board. I didn't shrinkwrap it or anything, just velcro or tape it to a different plane every day. It has survived a 200 ft fall from a plane (it just fell off the plane onto concrete, bad tape job). They really are fragile, but only when you mess with the little connections inside; lens adjustment, battery replacement, etc.
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:54 PM
Ithaca, NY
Joined Jan 2011
70 Posts
What kind of battery upgrade could be done to extend the battery life?
Fred79 is offline Find More Posts by Fred79
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred79 View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=569
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
I bought two of them on ebay. They are on the way.

Bill
Bill,

I think you were the first (and maybe the last) to order one of these external chargers on Ebay before they pulled the ad. When you get your external charger, can you do a test to see how much longer the recording time is with a given size (mAh) AA cell? I'd also like to know what the output voltage is from the charger. I've got some old lipos that still have capacity, but drop the voltage too much for powering a motor. Might work just fine for powering the camera with proper voltage regulation.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 17, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:47 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
946 Posts
Does anyone have trouble copying the files directly from the camera hooked up to the computer? I can't seem to get it to work in U Disk mode. It charges fine with USB, but when I turn it on, the computer still doesn't recognize it. I'm using Win7x64 and it recognizes all of the other memory cards I have just fine. I have to take the memory card out and stick it in a micro memory card reader and that works. It would be nice if I could just copy/move directly from the camera.
Kerbob is online now Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:52 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Bill,

I think you were the first (and maybe the last) to order one of these external chargers on Ebay before they pulled the ad. When you get your external charger, can you do a test to see how much longer the recording time is with a given size (mAh) AA cell?
I will test it with a 2000 mah Eneloop NiMh AA cell. I suspect it will run longer than I have micro cards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred79 View Post
I recalled that someone on the main 808 Keyfob thread had tried installing a new lipo cell in the cam. A quick search turned-up the post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2928

Bottom-line was that a single 240mah cell did not fit well in the case. My guess is that the 808HD is not going to have substantially more space in there.

There are lots of other posts in that thread about adding a port to the side of the case to run it off an external battery. My sense with the 808HD, though, is that it'd be way easier to either use the accessory AA power thing or build your own JST to USB adapter (with + on Pin4 per the research in this thread) to use an external pack on the cam's existing port.
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
Does anyone have trouble copying the files directly from the camera hooked up to the computer? I can't seem to get it to work in U Disk mode. It charges fine with USB, but when I turn it on, the computer still doesn't recognize it. I'm using Win7x64 and it recognizes all of the other memory cards I have just fine. I have to take the memory card out and stick it in a micro memory card reader and that works. It would be nice if I could just copy/move directly from the camera.
No one has reported this yet. I assume you are pushing the power button after you get the red LED when you first plug it in to toggle on the flash drive mode (with yellow LED lit), right? Does the yellow LED light? It should flash once, with USB recognition tone immediately after.

W7 (64) is not the problem (I have the same).
Try a different USB port, and/or a different USB cable.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:26 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
946 Posts
I connect to my PC and get a red light. I press the power button and the yellow light comes one but its not recognized by the computer. I've tried on two seperate Win7x64 boxes and no luck. I even tried turning it on before connecting to the compy. I've even tried different micro USB cables. As long as it performs in the other areas, I'm OK with the status as is.

I just recently bought an HD Gopro 1080p and will post up a direct comparison soon. I know the Gopro will win, but will it win by $200?

Quote:
No one has reported this yet. I assume you are pushing the power button after you get the red LED when you first plug it in to toggle on the flash drive mode (with yellow LED lit), right? Does the yellow LED light? It should flash once, with USB recognition tone immediately after.

W7 (64) is not the problem (I have the same).
Try a different USB port, and/or a different USB cable.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:30 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
946 Posts
JUST got it to work!! Apparently, I have to push the micro USB plug into the camera FIRMLY. And now it goes.. Must be a micro connection that's a back a bit.
Closed Thread