Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Tie a big light yellow ribbon to it - then it will fall slowly and be findable
Mike
Lol... My plane already has too much drag on it, although I admit that streamers would be pretty slick. :-D

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:35 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
I just got a 808 #11 and a wide angle lens. what is the best way to connect my lens to the cam? are there any detailed pictures?
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:17 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
In follow-up to this, I had some feedback via the camera developer from the eBay vendor who sold the camera and tested the returned camera and flash memory card. The card WAS the problem... not the camera. And the card worked perfectly after it was reformatted using the SDFormatter utility.

So here is one documented case where a "faulty" camera was returned needlessly, and where reformatting the card using the SDformatter utility made a difference.

I've always recommended formatting using the SDformatter... it's designed specifically for SD cards and in some cases can make a difference as compared with formatting using the native PC OS formetting routine. See the FAQs in Post #3 for a download link for that utility program.
There are a couple of caveats to this scenario though...

1. an 808 #11 turning itself off after more than 1 minute and failing to write the current video file isn't described anywhere as a known fault...

2. the vendor himself after an hour of online problem solving couldn't identify a solution either and specifically requested the camera be returned COMPLETE WITH MEMORY CARD so he could investigate it properly.

In light of those facts plus the fact that;
My camera starts to record, then shuts down prematurely in less than a minute.
in the post 3 FAQ can now safely be changed to a far more useful;
My camera starts to record, then shuts down prematurely within a few minutes.

I think it's pushing it a bit to describe it as having been returned needlessly.
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post
I just got a 808 #11 and a wide angle lens. what is the best way to connect my lens to the cam? are there any detailed pictures?

see my post here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6658
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalneyCol View Post
There are a couple of caveats to this scenario though...

1. an 808 #11 turning itself off after more than 1 minute and failing to write the current video file isn't described anywhere as a known fault...

2. the vendor himself after an hour of online problem solving couldn't identify a solution either and specifically requested the camera be returned COMPLETE WITH MEMORY CARD so he could investigate it properly.

In light of those facts plus the fact that;
My camera starts to record, then shuts down prematurely in less than a minute.
in the post 3 FAQ can now safely be changed to a far more useful;
My camera starts to record, then shuts down prematurely within a few minutes.

I think it's pushing it a bit to describe it as having been returned needlessly.
Did you format the card first with SDFormatter, test the card integrity with h2testw utility and speed with CrystalDiskMark utility BEFORE deciding the camera was faulty? These are part of protocol recommended in the FAQs for flash memory cards, and is explicitly mentioned in the "less than one minute" FAQ you say is worded so poorly that you ignored the following advice it states:

"Yours may not show all these same symptoms, but first confirm the flash memory card is not the issue. You can format it with the SDformatter utility and test it with the CrystalDiskMark utility (see FAQs for more info)."

It shouldn't take a lot of creative thinking to come to the conclusion that just MAYBE a premature shutdown "after a few minutes" is so similar to the one reported to have occurred in "less than a minute" that they could have the same cause! You are expecting too much from the FAQs if the simple wording change you suggest led you to NOT properly format and test your memory card! If you did not fully check out the memory card after reading these things (which should have resolved the problem as the vendor found), then in my view the camera was returned needlessly.

The issue and problem was premature shut down, whether in "less than a minute" or "within a few minutes", or some other short time frame, it's still premature shutdown. It's impossible to give exact time frames as you suggest that will rule in or out a failure like this. The FAQs are there to help lead your thought process to resolve your own questions and problems, not give exact time frames to define whether a problem exists or not in a failure like this!

I'll make the minor wording change you suggested, but it's a moot point in my opinion. Thanks for the input... at least you went to the FAQ's for help, which is more than many do before asking questions
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 22, 2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: more info and clarification
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:30 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
I've gota say I agree with Tom. I had a camera that suddenly started shutting off after 5-30 seconds of recording, and needed the reset button pressed to for it even boot up again. I kept thinking it was dud camera or battery. Bought even bought 4 spare batteries and replaced the batteries in two cameras when most likely didn't need to!

Turned out it was SDCard because it made my other cameras do the same thing. The card must have had 'issues' that made the camera 'give up' and shut down. Aftrer I swapped cards it was fine. Then once I had run SDFormatter on the card the problem went away. (That's my theory away)
B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:36 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
thanks! I got the same lens. got a picture?
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:49 PM
Philippines, Central Visayas, Dumaguete City
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Very strange issue... a video sample would be interesting to see. But I tend to agree it might be a thermal instability, possibly in the CMOS module. You could test to see if cooling might prevent it by simply removing the upper half of the case and shooting some video as a temporay measure.

If you need a replacement quickly, one option is to contact your eBay seller and see if you can purchase a replacement and get it shipped now, then have your Paypal account credited back the price when they receive your returned camera. This has been done before.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot Tom, I tried removing the case completely, I just gained couple of minutes before the stuck pixels kick in, which is another proof that it is somewhat heat oriented. I have also noticed that the stuck pixels are always at the same place which points to a flawed CMOS module...

I took your advice (another big "thank you" for that) and contacted the vendor with the paypal refund proposal. They have accepted it which means I'll be getting my replacement before Christmas

Great forum, great community...
CemAygun is offline Find More Posts by CemAygun
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CemAygun View Post
Thanks a lot Tom, I tried removing the case completely, I just gained couple of minutes before the stuck pixels kick in, which is another proof that it is somewhat heat oriented. I have also noticed that the stuck pixels are always at the same place which points to a flawed CMOS module...

I took your advice (another big "thank you" for that) and contacted the vendor with the paypal refund proposal. They have accepted it which means I'll be getting my replacement before Christmas

Great forum, great community...
I agree with your conclusions.

The eBay sellers have always been great to do business with. Glad this is still the case for you! Which vendor was it... might as well give them some favorable feedback here.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:28 AM
Seafax ROV
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
I'll make the minor wording change you suggested, but it's a moot point in my opinion. Thanks for the input... at least you went to the FAQ's for help, which is more than many do before asking questions
I also described the camera's sypmtoms here over several posts and not one person suggested that using SDFormatter might make a difference so it's not like it was a blindingly obvious solution. For most people (definitely me) the keychain cam probably represents only a very small percentage of their overall hobby interest, and (devotees and vendors aside) there's only so much effort a person is willing to put into researching a product's strange behaviour before they give up and throw it in the bin.

And also yes, the new wording in post 3 would almost certainly have been enough to persuade me to investigate that solution before I asked the experts... a definiative sounding "less than 1 minute" to "regularly around 5" look significantly different to me.

In any case the vendor obviously thought it was worth buying the memory card off me in order to determine the root cause of a previously unheard of occourance and to my mind that alone justifies reurning it. He may well be slapping his head NOW thinking "why the h*** didn't I get him to try SDFormatter before I told him to return it!" but that's not my problem is it... that's why you ask the experts in the first place, because they're supposed to know more about the product than those with only a passing interest.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
In any case the vendor obviously thought it was worth buying the memory card off me in order to determine the root cause of a previously unheard of occourance and to my mind that alone justifies reurning it. He may well be slapping his head NOW thinking "why the h*** didn't I get him to try SDFormatter before I told him to return it!" but that's not my problem is it... that's why you ask the experts in the first place, because they're supposed to know more about the product than those with only a passing interest.
Since you insist on perpetuating this and being critical here of the vendors and this thread for not being able to resolve your issue in terms that precisely matched your symptoms, I'll take the time for one last retort giving the full picture (too bad you didn't take this much time to resolve your problem in the first place!).

Each flash card has it's own, proprietary on-board controller, so they don't all function the same in a given device. The ability of the SDformatter to solve your problem (and others, like unexplainable file corruption while recording) is just now coming to light with the camera developer, and for me as well. Just a week or so ago I got their request for tools they might use for formatting and testing SD cards. I referred them to the FAQ in post #3 about memory card usage and integrity testing where the SDformatter is recommended, the same post that was there for you to read and heed if you had the time. They found that SOME memory cards cause problems where others don't, and the SDformatter has shown to resolve some of those issues. The next generation of their camera will have formatting routine integrated into the camera to hopefully prevent these kinds of problems. And it will not surprise me if the eBay vendors start recommending using SDformatter if not using it to pre-format and cards they sell. The eBay sellers are further removed from the technical issues, so there is no way they would have known about this when you first reported your problem. In fact, their willingness to pay to get your card to try to figure out the problem is part of the reason this is now known. There is no "head slapping" going on or warranted on their end.

It was their feedback to me about this that prompted my post reflecting back on your problem and how the information presented in the FAQs could have found the problem explicitly before return the camera to the vendor. I then quoted my own post in my follow-up, not your original one, nor did I link back to your post (intentionally) so as not to specifically point to you to give one generic example where information available in the FAQs could have eliminated the need to return the product. But from your recent posts it's looking like you must have taken this as personal criticism, and if so, I'm sorry you read it as such, that was not the intent.

That said, this thread is structured to be a self-help thread, boldly inferred in the thread title. Using the SD formatter to format SD cards has been recommended from day one in this thread in the FAQs for memory cards and in the unexplained premature shutdown FAQ. There is no way I could say it would solve your problem for sure (let alone predict at what precise time frame your problem would occur), but it has always been the best advice presented here. If you didn't have or want to take the time to try and use this information to solve your issue... well that is your problem and no one elses.

Enough said on this!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:50 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
SD formatter works fine, and is mentioned also on Chuck's site and on the Mega808 thread. Just be careful to reformat the correct card! My netbook has a D drive that is a SD card, the card reader is seen as E. Guess which one I erased?!

It is safer to reformat the card in a digital cam or similar. This can sometimes restore a card which is corrupted and invisible to Windows.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Nov 23, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:02 PM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
That said, this thread is structured to be a self-help thread, boldly inferred in the thread title. Using the SD formatter to format SD cards has been recommended from day one in this thread in the FAQs for memory cards and in the unexplained premature shutdown FAQ. There is no way I could say it would solve your problem for sure (let alone predict at what precise time frame your problem would occur), but it has always been the best advice presented here. If you didn't have or want to take the time to try and use this information to solve your issue... well that is your problem and no one elses.

Enough said on this!
Frank, I fully agree!! (well said, clapping hands)

/Jan
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
I agree with your conclusions.

The eBay sellers have always been great to do business with. Glad this is still the case for you! Which vendor was it... might as well give them some favorable feedback here.
That was "eletech086", I believe they are already among the recommended ones...

As a side note; I don't know if it was just me (never had the opportunity to do proper comparison tests) but it looks like Jumbo has better image quality but worse audio... My first #11 is quite old, so the lens might have changed (maybe only in jumbos, or both, I really don't know), this might be the reason for better image quality. The jumbo has almost no vignetting apart from other improvements. Although I had enlarged the lens hole in the casing for small #11, it still shows significant darkness around the edges. So I assume there is a lens difference.

Audio difference is quite understandable as small #11's microphone points outward with a hole for it, where as Jumbo's is buried deep inside, part of it being covered by the battery...
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
SD formatter works fine, and is mentioned also on Chuck's site and on the Mega808 thread. Just be careful to reformat the correct card! My netbook has a D drive that is a SD card, the card reader is seen as E. Guess which one I erased?!

It is safer to reformat the card in a digital cam or similar. This can sometimes restore a card which is corrupted and invisible to Windows.
I think when the next generation of #11 is out (reportedly with a built-in formatting tool), you will be right on target. Formatting in a different camera certainly eliminates a user error issue of clicking on the wrong drive number, but it may format the card with a structure that works well for THAT camera, but not the #11. That may be one of the causes we are seeing with some cards working well in the #11 and some not, even when they pass the h2testw tool integrity check and give good CrystalDiskMark speed results.

You might recall with the #11 Release 1 firmware for the #11, some users were formatting cards on their PCs with smaller than normal block sizes, and were getting higher data rates with them in their #11. I tried this with my flash cards and did not get that change in performance. So I now recognize that not all flash cards are the same... in fact, I don't believe that ANY two flash cards (from different manufacturers) are the same when they have different internal proprietary controllers on-board. I only use name brands (hoping they follow the SD Association standards for function and performance) and only format them using the SD formatter.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:55 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
These new #11's will be really interesting!!

I usually use a Casio Exilim to do reformat and it does not create directories or files until it takes the first picture. The #11 files are located as per usual.

The Sony Bloggie creates a directory named "Private" but then works as above

My Kodak ZxD is a bit different again, it creates a Kodak files directory, but the weird thing is that when I record a video with #11 it creates a 149Media folder, unlike every other method where the cam puts the files into a 100Media folder.

Bottom line is all three cams tested for formatting can then be used for the #11.

I did not check card capacity after format, or try to find any files or directories either hidden or invisible to Windows.
Last edited by victapilot; Nov 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:11 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
That was "eletech086", I believe they are already among the recommended ones...

As a side note; I don't know if it was just me (never had the opportunity to do proper comparison tests) but it looks like Jumbo has better image quality but worse audio... My first #11 is quite old, so the lens might have changed (maybe only in jumbos, or both, I really don't know), this might be the reason for better image quality. The jumbo has almost no vignetting apart from other improvements. Although I had enlarged the lens hole in the casing for small #11, it still shows significant darkness around the edges. So I assume there is a lens difference.

Audio difference is quite understandable as small #11's microphone points outward with a hole for it, where as Jumbo's is buried deep inside, part of it being covered by the battery...
My Jumbo seems to have a pretty identical video quality to my smaller #11 in side by side video testing. Any difference in quality could be explained by slight difference in lens focus or the light angle change the colors that we all love to hate. But help is on the way... hang tight!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:58 AM
Seafax ROV
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Since you insist on perpetuating this and being critical here of the vendors and this thread for not being able to resolve your issue in terms that precisely matched your symptoms, I'll take the time for one last retort giving the full picture (too bad you didn't take this much time to resolve your problem in the first place!).

Each flash card has it's own, proprietary on-board controller, so they don't all function the same in a given device. The ability of the SDformatter to solve your problem (and others, like unexplainable file corruption while recording) is just now coming to light with the camera developer, and for me as well. Just a week or so ago I got their request for tools they might use for formatting and testing SD cards. I referred them to the FAQ in post #3 about memory card usage and integrity testing where the SDformatter is recommended, the same post that was there for you to read and heed if you had the time. They found that SOME memory cards cause problems where others don't, and the SDformatter has shown to resolve some of those issues. The next generation of their camera will have formatting routine integrated into the camera to hopefully prevent these kinds of problems. And it will not surprise me if the eBay vendors start recommending using SDformatter if not using it to pre-format and cards they sell. The eBay sellers are further removed from the technical issues, so there is no way they would have known about this when you first reported your problem. In fact, their willingness to pay to get your card to try to figure out the problem is part of the reason this is now known. There is no "head slapping" going on or warranted on their end.

It was their feedback to me about this that prompted my post reflecting back on your problem and how the information presented in the FAQs could have found the problem explicitly before return the camera to the vendor. I then quoted my own post in my follow-up, not your original one, nor did I link back to your post (intentionally) so as not to specifically point to you to give one generic example where information available in the FAQs could have eliminated the need to return the product. But from your recent posts it's looking like you must have taken this as personal criticism, and if so, I'm sorry you read it as such, that was not the intent.

Enough said on this!
Why are you getting so upset about about perfectly good natured and valid criticism Frank? I have no beef with the vendor whatsoever but by making it all my fault that I'm not as savvy about SD cards as you'd like me to be you're acting like a 24 carrat plonker.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Why are you getting so upset about about perfectly good natured and valid criticism Frank? I have no beef with the vendor whatsoever but by making it all my fault that I'm not as savvy about SD cards as you'd like me to be you're acting like a 24 carrat plonker.
I would suggest that you look in the mirror to see the "24 carrat plonker."
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:49 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Just an addendum to my previous post #7816, I checked the bitrates of files produced after formatting in cameras. No significant difference so far, I was hoping that maybe format in Kodak environment might improve bitrate. Here's a sample from a Kodak format taken with a #11 panning and pausing. The high bitrate is during panning - up to 18MPS, average is 8.7

It's Turkey Day so over and out for now - have a good one
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:16 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, but you're wrong. He didn't say it was your fault because you lacked knowledge of SD cards, he said it was your fault because you failed to use the knowledge that was given to you. I agree.
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
8gb class 10 on sale $5.00
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Fishy, you forgot to post a link! But at that price I suspect it's a no-name, risky purchase at best.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
and they giving away GoPro cams

Links are always helpful :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
no, I did not forget, If I was asked I shall give, not like others .

go to newegg.com good luck if you choose that route. Prefrence is the key word today

gobble gobble
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:23 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
HAPPY TURKEY to all who celebrate :-)

Tom,
any reason all of a sudden my HD cam turns off , one clip at 2min 32 sec. and consecutive clip at 1 min 27 sec???
Never had that issue before.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
My Jumbo seems to have a pretty identical video quality to my smaller #11 in side by side video testing. Any difference in quality could be explained by slight difference in lens focus or the light angle change the colors that we all love to hate. But help is on the way... hang tight!
I am already excited about the new version I just wish it comes out early so that we can buy & receive it before Christmas, although there is only a small window left for that possibility...
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
So am I correct in thinking that the #11 will not work as a stand-alone webcam and you need a webcam utility to get it working. Can anyone suggest a webcam utility.

Quote:
Sorry, but the current version of the #11 has no "video out" that can be used for FPV transmission. The webcam mode only works when tethered to a PC via a USB cable, with a web cam utility running on the PC to capture the video into a file on the computer. A "composite video out" function may be implemented down the road, though. The video processor chip has the capability.
Jenny Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Jenny Taylor
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Just learned some details about the upcoming camera. Sounds too good to be true. And it is bound to be out before Christmas, although I don't know how early. Normally we need some extra shipping time during Christmas, and I hope it will be out early enough. If not and this camera is what they say it is, I might pay for EMS just to get it on time
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Just learned some details about the upcoming camera. Sounds too good to be true. And it is bound to be out before Christmas, although I don't know how early. Normally we need some extra shipping time during Christmas, and I hope it will be out early enough. If not and this camera is what they say it is, I might pay for EMS just to get it on time
And what do "they" say it is? Care to say who "they" is? I have a prototype I'm testing right now. The hardware is ready, but the firmware is not ready for prime time.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 24, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Taylor View Post
So am I correct in thinking that the #11 will not work as a stand-alone webcam and you need a webcam utility to get it working. Can anyone suggest a webcam utility.
NO, it will work as a web cam, but you DO have to have some program running to display the data, like AMCAP, most video editors, Instant Messenger, Windows LIve Messenger, Skype, etc. etc. etc. If you are using a web cam now, you should be able to use this as Cam as well.

It does display in HD (1280x720) in webcam mode, BUT, the data rate is too hign for most computers to display without skipping or totally locking up the display. Decrease the settings to 640x480, and the hardware can usually handle it
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
HAPPY TURKEY to all who celebrate :-)

Tom,
any reason all of a sudden my HD cam turns off , one clip at 2min 32 sec. and consecutive clip at 1 min 27 sec???
Never had that issue before.
We just had a discussion about premature shutdown, and the FAQs cover it. First format your memory card with SDFormatter, and see if it still does this. If that doesn't make things better, your battery could be on its last legs... can't deliver the current necessary to power the camera AND keep the voltage above the LVC at the same time.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 24, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
no, I did not forget, If I was asked I shall give, not like others .

go to newegg.com good luck if you choose that route. Prefrence is the key word today

gobble gobble
Not like what others? Why beat around the bush!? I went to newegg. but saw nothing like you say. Where is keyword applicable? If you have a link, post it! Otherwise the information is worthless.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 24, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
Quote:
What's with the suspence and what is the "Sounds too good to be true."??
Who's the vendor, if ebay, I'll be putting his new items on my watch list.
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:31 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
This could be the $5 memory card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220493
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:54 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Camera Won't Stay On

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabiboi View Post
Hey, wondering if anyone could help me here. I bought the #11 and the first video I recorded was a nice 21 minute video. But after that, when I try to record a video, the video usually dies under 10 seconds. Some times it can maybe get up to 20 seconds, but that's it. ... The camera functions fine, but when you hit record, in a few seconds the yellow light comes back on and stays lit for a couple of seconds and turns off.
For the moment I will figure you can tell if you are taking snap shots, or video. I will also assume you haven't taken the camera apart to check if the battery connectors are properly soldered, or not. I had one with bad/weak solder joints and as soon as I got the cover off to get the flash card out (didn't go in right), one battery lead came loose. The leads are so small I didn't bother to try and solder them on again. Instead, I got on ebay (also known as fee-bay by sellers) and ordered two more from different suppliers, and two more of other types of DVR (spy/key chain size) that were suppose to be better (720). I do the bid thing to see if I can get them for less than $12 with shipping. Not so easy most of the time, but hey, I can be stubborn and cheap. I figure if I don't spend a lot, I can buy more stuff and try more stuff. It won't hurt as bad when I discover the LiPo battery inside doesn't last very long in service. I do realize I will have to come up with a fix sooner or later.

My plan at the moment is to find a source for the single cell battery connectors, like the one on the micro indoor fliers. Once I have a half dozen of the connectors, I will start using my batteries for the micro indoor fliers, once I get the battery connector soldered in place. My eyes don't see the small stuff all that good these days and you have to be really careful with the hot iron, or other stuff gets messed up/over-heated. Then when I need a fresh, fully charged up LiPo battery, I just swap out as if I was flying one of the indoor fliers. Since those batteries only cost $1 on sale and have a neat little connector on them that fits into a dependable socket, I will run the wires for the battery connector on the outside of the camera casing. Not a big deal, but oh so convenient! In the mean time, I need to keep working on the delta wings with the cheap Readi-Board foam core and other foam board. It don't make sense to me to spend $100+ for a fancy camera carrier if I can build my own for much less and have good results. After all, most folks get bored with video of country side unless they get to see some stuff collide and break apart in mid-air, or worse.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
I've just upgraded from a type #8 808 key-cam to a near identical looking #11, which was around £26 from Eletoponline.
It's so much better! The 720 HD resolution is a lot clearer, and the frame rate is a consistant 30fps with no dropped frames or jerkiness.

I did my measuring tape trick to see how wide the lens is - compared to the #8 getting just 8.8cm of tape from 20cm (80mm lens, approx 35mm equiv) this one gets around 19cm, working out at about 51 degrees horizontal field of view, or a pleasantly wide 38mm in 35mm equiv. terms. It's actually practical to walk around with this camera hand-held, and get usable covert footage. Much much better!

Turning it off is slightly different, a long press doesn't appear to do anything until the keypress is actually released. And, plugging it into the PC (USB cable) it doesn't appear to the PC unless you turn it on - if I remember correctly the #8 just appeared by magic with no switch-on required, like a USB memory stick.

The movie clip files appear in \DCIM\100MEDIA\ as PTDC0001.MOV etc, containing 32k 16bit mono audio and 720p30 avc1 H.264 video.
These wouldn't load into VirtualDub directly for me, but on my Win XP PC (I've lost track of how much is installed on that one, I think it has the K-Lite codec pack) a test.avs file containing DirectShowSource("PTDC0001.MOV") did the trick.

However, on a Windows 7 PC this didn't work. I already had ffdshow, but GSpot wouldn't play with either of the [1] buttons. I installed the Haali splitter and then Gspot's MS [1] and [2] buttons worked. But I still had trouble with DirectShowSource.
The vdub add-on virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.5.zip didn't help either.
In the end I tried http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/ and avs files like this :
Quote:
LoadCPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll")
FFMpegSource2("PTDC0001.MOV",atrack=-1)
DelayAudio(1.0) # to compensate for 30 frame delay from DeShake
# scales a [0,255] clip to [16,235]:
Levels(0, 1, 255, 16, 235, coring=false) # this is the same as ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
- and finally, it loads the clips happily for trimming, DeShaking, and LogoAway, etc. - although it seems a lot slower to DeShake and save on the Win 7 PC than the DirectShowSource version on XP.

Just like the #8 key's video, the deepest blacks are crushed for me, and brightest whites clipped. Whether this is specific to individual PCs I don't know, but the "Levels" line in the avs file sorts it out for me, reducing the apparent contrast to more correct looking levels - returning bright and dark details that would otherwise go missing.

My LogoAway settings are :
Logo Border X,Y : 735, 631
Logo Size W,H : 492, 46
Type : "UGLARM" (use preview to determine your required "Exponent Power")

A 150MB 3 minute clip rose to 370MB by the time I'd applied DeShake/LogoAway and saved to AVI (took 48mins!) using ffdshow (MP4V), but that's something I'll ignore for now

I'm hoping to get a lot of use out of this one!
Type8 is offline Find More Posts by Type8
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type8 View Post
I've just upgraded from a type #8 808 key-cam to a near identical looking #11, which was around £26 from Eletoponline.
It's so much better! The 720 HD resolution is a lot clearer, and the frame rate is a consistant 30fps with no dropped frames or jerkiness.
Hello Type8,

Welcome to the thread and for taking the time to post all your findings. But you are preaching to the choir! There's a ton of information available addressing what you found, and lots more. Start by noting the reference to the first three Posts in this thread title. If you read those, you will find other solutions to your problems (like the date can be turned off by flashing in different firmware, AviDemux is a capable replacement for Vdub and will import .mov files, etc. etc.). The FAQs in post #3 will answer or offer possible solutions to most all of your questions. Always check back there first when a problem arises. The first three posts are kept updated as new information is found.

Have fun!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 25, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:19 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Hello Tom and all,
I suppose its still better to rotate the whole cam rather than worry about firmware to rotate the view pan? I need more vertical than horizontal to keep a plane in view as a hat cam velcro'd on the bill. I have the freemaker to edit the vid ofcourse.
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Hello Tom and all,
I suppose its still better to rotate the whole cam rather than worry about firmware to rotate the view pan? I need more vertical than horizontal to keep a plane in view as a hat cam velcro'd on the bill. I have the freemaker to edit the vid ofcourse.
Tom
Yes, easier to stick the cam vertically in a block of foam and stick that on the cap. You can rotate later with Freemake, or Avidemux (and other editors). AviDemux has the feature of keeping the full 1280x720 frame size, and rotating the whole frame vertically giving a full size image. Freemake will keep the long dimension horizontal, then rotate and shrink the image to fit the 720 pixel height with black borders on each side.

Besides, I don't know if there will be any more firmware improvements to the existing #11 cams with a totally new version just around the corner. The firmware is not compatible. If there are any tweaks to the existing camera firmware, I think it should be to stabilize the color switching that we now see. That will be my recommendation to the developer.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
What's with the suspence and what is the "Sounds too good to be true."??
Who's the vendor, if ebay, I'll be putting his new items on my watch list.
-B!
Well, it's from eletech086. I told them I would like to pre-order one and they told me they might be able to ship it as soon as next week. I believe the ebay item is not online yet, but I'll ask them to open one for pre-orders, if possible...

Well, "suspense" is totally my fault, as I assume this is no non-disclosure information. They claim the new version can do 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60 fps
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Well, it's from eletech086. I told them I would like to pre-order one and they told me they might be able to ship it as soon as next week. I believe the ebay item is not online yet, but I'll ask them to open one for pre-orders, if possible...

Well, "suspense" is totally my fault, as I assume this is no non-disclosure information. They claim the new version can do 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60 fps
Well that's VERY different from the prototype camera version I have been testing and am holding in my hand right now. I expect to be testing (hopefully) final firmware by next Monday, and can then give details of the new camera. It's not a 1080p camera.

I am aware a full HD version (1080p) was also being developed, but unless it has been somehow expedited and tested in-house, my impression was that it was on a back burner... could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 25, 2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Well that's VERY different from the prototype camera version I have been testing and am holding in my hand right now. I expect to be testing (hopefully) final firmware by next Monday, and can then give details of the new camera. It's not a 1080p camera.

I am aware a full HD version (1080p) was also being developed, but unless it has been somehow expedited and tested in-house, my impression was that it was on a back burner... could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Well this is why I wanted to share it with the forum Tom. I know from your previous posts that you already have the real prototype. I hope they are not talking about #13, which is pretty useless IMHO... You need a 2 MP sensor to get 1080p anyways, unless of course you upscale, which is a crime.

I was under the impression that this might be a 1 MP camera that can do 720p at 60 fps and also has the option to upscale it to 1080p via firmware change (albeit that being useless in my opinion)

As I said before, it sounds just "too good to be true", but I am just curious. And I know "curiosity generally kills the cat"

I believe we would all be waiting for your review Tom, and then we'll know for sure...
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
And for one thing, I don't think the lenses we have on these cameras can actually resolve 1080p. Might be a bit off-topic but just a nice read for the curious:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Well this is why I wanted to share it with the forum Tom. I know from your previous posts that you already have the real prototype. I hope they are not talking about #13, which is pretty useless IMHO... You need a 2 MP sensor to get 1080p anyways, unless of course you upscale, which is a crime.

I was under the impression that this might be a 1 MP camera that can do 720p at 60 fps and also has the option to upscale it to 1080p via firmware change (albeit that being useless in my opinion)

As I said before, it sounds just "too good to be true", but I am just curious. And I know "curiosity generally kills the cat"

I believe we would all be waiting for your review Tom, and then we'll know for sure...
It's neither of the alternatives you mentioned. 1280x720 @ 60 fps would definitely require a different CMOS. I think the new camera has a similar if not the same CMOS as the current #11, whose specs only go to 640x480 @ 60 fps. We tried pushing the prototype to 848x640 16:9 aspect ratio and got 50% dropped frames in bright light... so it displayed just like it was running at 30 fps. But that might still be better for low light situations than 1280x720 @ 30 fps, where my old #11's drop a frame every 5-6 frames.

This is why I have avoided giving more advance information than I have been able to confirm. Some things being tested never pan out.

I hope to have more definitive information early next week.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
And for one thing, I don't think the lenses we have on these cameras can actually resolve 1080p. Might be a bit off-topic but just a nice read for the curious:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm
You are absolutely right about that... same comments I gave the developer some time ago. Until the lens/CMOS can resolve that level of detail, with fairly uniform brightness (minimal vignetting) and consistent, stable, natural looking colors across the entire frame, a 1080p camera isn't going to excite a critical user.

And non-critical users need to stop and think about the usefulness of 1080p. I have a 23 in. diagonal 16:9 widescreen monitor, and it just barely has enough pixels to display the 1920x1080 HD display full size with 1:1 pixel ratio). If a monitor is not that big, a reduced image will be displayed with compromised resolution.

The 1080p display has 2.25 times more data than a 1280p display does. So data rates will need to be that much faster at the same frame rate for equal quality, and computers that struggle with current 1280p playing or editing may choke on 1080p. At 60fps, it's doubly demanding compared to 30 fps. An HD TV might be needed for smooth playback, and more capable PC hardware may be needed for editing.

File sizes will be 2.25 times larger at 30 fps and double that at 60 fps if data rates are set for equal quality, so much larger flash memory cards are needed for equivalent recording times, and the camera CPU has to crunch all that data, consuming much more power, requiring larger batteries for equal recording time.

I think this paints enough of a picture... 1080p is not the panacea for home-shot video it appears to be when you look at the consequences. Maybe OK if you just want to playback on a large-screen HDTV and have a way to get the video into it.

For me 1280x720 is more than enough for PC processing/viewing... 60 fps nice for fast moving scenes like a lot of aerial video, but 30 fps is more than adequate for lesser scenes.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 25, 2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: clarifications
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
It's neither of the alternatives you mentioned. 1280x720 @ 60 fps would definitely require a different CMOS. I think the new camera has a similar if not the same CMOS as the current #11, whose specs only go to 640x480 @ 60 fps. We tried pushing the prototype to 848x640 16:9 aspect ratio and got 50% dropped frames in bright light... so it displayed just like it was running at 30 fps. But that might still be better for low light situations than 1280x720 @ 30 fps, where my old #11's drop a frame every 5-6 frames.

This is why I have avoided giving more advance information than I have been able to confirm. Some things being tested never pan out.

I hope to have more definitive information early next week.
Thanks again Tom, we'll be waiting eagerly for your review. I hope I didn't cause any misunderstandings or false expectations by sharing here what the vendor told me. In the end you are the only one with the actual camera so your word is what counts...
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
You are absolutely right about that... same comments I gave the developer some time ago. Until the lens/CMOS can resolve that level of detail, with fairly uniform brightness (minimal vignetting) and consistent, stable, natural looking colors across the entire frame, a 1080p camera isn't going to excite a critical user.

And non-critical users need to stop and think about the usefulness of 1080p. I have a 23 in. diagonal 16:9 widescreen monitor, and it just barely has enough pixels to display the 1920x1080 HD display full size with 1:1 pixel ratio). If a monitor is not that big, a reduced image will be displayed with compromised resolution.

The 1080p display has 2.25 times more data than a 1280p display does. So data rates will need to be that much faster at 30 fps for equal quality, and computers that struggle with current 1280p playing or editing may choke on 1080p. At 60fps, it's doubly demanding. An HD TV might be needed for smooth playback, and more capable PC hardware may be needed for editing.

File sizes will be 2.25 times larger at 30 fps, double that at 60 fps, so much larger flash memory cards are need for equivalent recording times, and the camera CPU has to crunch all that data, consuming much more power, requiring larger batteries for equal recording time.

I think this paints enough of a picture... 1080p is not the panacea for home-shot video it appears to be when you look at the consequences. Maybe OK if you just want to playback on a large-screen HDTV and have a way to get the video into it.

For me 1280x720 is more than enough for PC processing/viewing... 60 fps nice for fast moving scenes like a lot of aerial video, but 30 fps is more than adequate for lesser scenes.
We are totally on the same page here. 720p is definitely the sweet spot for the time being. It has enough detail, yet it still is manageable when it comes to file sizes and processing times. I own a camera that can really do 1080p at 60 fps (actual "frames", not fields) but I cannot remember the last time I really needed/used that. Too much of a hassle when it comes to storing and editing...

My concern, and also the reason for posting the link was that unfortunately "numbers sell". It has been a dirty time in the digital photography/videography world with consumers being inclined to purchase the products with bigger "numbers". So the producers try to boost those numbers by all means, at the cost of sacrificing convenience and quality. This is why you see all those 16 MP point-and-shoot cameras around. I hope the developers will listen to you and lean towards increasing the quality, not marketability...
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
We are totally on the same page here. 720p is definitely the sweet spot for the time being. It has enough detail, yet it still is manageable when it comes to file sizes and processing times. I own a camera that can really do 1080p at 60 fps (actual "frames", not fields) but I cannot remember the last time I really needed/used that. Too much of a hassle when it comes to storing and editing...

My concern, and also the reason for posting the link was that unfortunately "numbers sell". It has been a dirty time in the digital photography/videography world with consumers being inclined to purchase the products with bigger "numbers". So the producers try to boost those numbers by all means, at the cost of sacrificing convenience and quality. This is why you see all those 16 MP point-and-shoot cameras around. I hope the developers will listen to you and lean towards increasing the quality, not marketability...
It's good to get this information in the forefront again for the reasons you mentioned. So when the new camera features are listed, there aren't many comments of "is that all there is!?". I think there are a LOT of useable enhancements in the new camera... something in it for just about everyone.

The camera developer was on working on the 1080p camera a number of months ago and asked for my comments. I gave him feedback similar to what I just posted. I was mainly interested in getting stable colors in the video and less vignetting in the existing #11. I think he was listening... not only to my input, but many of the user requests posted here, because I later got the word that a new #11 was being worked on. And now it's almost ready.

The improvements are pretty much pushing the hardware to the limits of it's capability. I've got my fingers crossed the next firmware will seal the deal so this camera could be marketed in time for Christmas.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:02 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
I can now play mov HD on my Android phone with the free MX player app
Which Android do you have?

I had before a cheap Z180 v2, and it was natively playing HD video directly from the microSD card ... not 100% smooth but pretty decent.

I got now a Asus EEE Pad, and I was believing it would have been miles better with Tegra 2 and Android 3

But, playing video SUCKS

I installed MX Player (the best one possibly), since native player could not play my HD video ... anyhow ... since video decoding is SW and not HW, it sucks, I need to enable fast mode, and quality is quite bad.

I'm trying to find a proper encoder for this device ... but is looking hard mission.

MPEG4 is not working
H.264, need a special H.264 that is almost impossible to reproduce ...

It would be nice if there is some magic setting from AviDemux, or from VLC (using conversion) .. that will make the job.

Ideally an apps on the phone will be much better ... decode the video, and use onboard HW encoder for re-code ... without using an external PC ...

My bet is that commercial products just sucks money and provide bad quality ... but free - open source one ... need to be known and hacked properly ...

So anybody with Android Tablet or Tegra 2 stuffs on the board ?

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:15 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Hello Type8,

Welcome to the thread and for taking the time to post all your findings. But you are preaching to the choir! There's a ton of information available addressing what you found, and lots more. Start by noting the reference to the first three Posts in this thread title. If you read those, you will find other solutions to your problems (like the date can be turned off by flashing in different firmware, AviDemux is a capable replacement for Vdub and will import .mov files, etc. etc.). The FAQs in post #3 will answer or offer possible solutions to most all of your questions. Always check back there first when a problem arises. The first three posts are kept updated as new information is found.

Have fun!
Thanks for the welcome.
a) I'm too scared to risk blowing £26 with the firmware flash, LogoAway isn't too noticeable for my purposes when DeShaker throws the blurred region all over the place
b) I looked at AviDemux, didn't like it compared to VirtualDub that I'm used to, and there didn't appear to be a way to use DeShaker
c) FAQs are good. but I couldn't find any reference to a measured 38mm equiv lens width, or ffmpegsource as an opening method for the MOV files with AviSynth. No-one is likely to read 500+ pages of a thread, so if it's not in the first page of helpful stuff there's no harm sharing findings in the most recent pages where newcomers are more likely to find it.
Cheers
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:44 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
@Tchuss

My phone is HTC Inspire, 8mp cam that does 720p video. The included Gallery player would not locate mov files, no problem with MP4. So I use MX player which does both smoothly. The card in the phone is 8gb sandisk. #11 files located on the root of the card are fine.

I can upload directly to YouTube and edit there. An example here, still waiting for someone to make a keyfob cam this good!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3702

Also here - no vignetting

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1702
Last edited by victapilot; Nov 26, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:06 AM
Joined May 2011
4 Posts
Quote:

I did my measuring tape trick to see how wide the lens is - compared to the #8 getting just 8.8cm of tape from 20cm (80mm lens, approx 35mm equiv) this one gets around 19cm, working out at about 51 degrees horizontal field of view, or a pleasantly wide 38mm in 35mm equiv. terms. It's actually practical to walk around with this camera hand-held, and get usable covert footage. Much much better!

Turning it off is slightly different, a long press doesn't appear to do anything until the keypress is actually released. And, plugging it into the PC (USB cable) it doesn't appear to the PC unless you turn it on - if I remember correctly the #8 just appeared by magic with no switch-on required, like a USB memory stick.

The movie clip files appear in \DCIM\100MEDIA\ as PTDC0001.MOV etc, containing 32k 16bit mono audio and 720p30 avc1 H.264 video.
These wouldn't load into VirtualDub directly for me, but on my Win XP PC (I've lost track of how much is installed on that one, I think it has the K-Lite codec pack) a test.avs file containing DirectShowSource("PTDC0001.MOV") did the trick.

However, on a Windows 7 PC this didn't work. I already had ffdshow, but GSpot wouldn't play with either of the [1] buttons. I installed the Haali splitter and then Gspot's MS [1] and [2] buttons worked. But I still had trouble with DirectShowSource.
The vdub add-on virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.5.zip didn't help either.
In the end I tried http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/ and avs files like this :

- and finally, it loads the clips happily for trimming, DeShaking, and LogoAway, etc. - although it seems a lot slower to DeShake and save on the Win 7 PC than the DirectShowSource version on XP.

Just like the #8 key's video, the deepest blacks are crushed for me, and brightest whites clipped. Whether this is specific to individual PCs I don't know, but the "Levels" line in the avs file sorts it out for me, reducing the apparent contrast to more correct looking levels - returning bright and dark details that would otherwise go missing.

My LogoAway settings are :
Logo Border X,Y : 735, 631
Logo Size W,H : 492, 46
Type : "UGLARM" (use preview to determine your required "Exponent Power")

A 150MB 3 minute clip rose to 370MB by the time I'd applied DeShake/LogoAway and saved to AVI (took 48mins!) using ffdshow (MP4V), but that's something I'll ignore for now

Hi Type8,

I also decided to deshake some vids using VirtualDub but they won't open. I ended up with this solution (Win7 32bit):

I downloaded this Quicktime Import Filter Plugin:
http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.p...t=14639&st=171
and used the following settings in the Quicktime.ini:

[Settings]
color=1
Mode=3
audio=1
quality=100
vtrack=1
atrack=1
gamma=
fourcc=

Now I can load all my files directly into VirtualDub and the editing/deshaking speed seems to be the same as editing equivalent avi files.

greetings
Hd808Fan
Hd808Fan is offline Find More Posts by Hd808Fan
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:19 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Another way to deshake is within YouTube editor, after uploading. Those of us that have tested it find it works, but slightly zooms in, and degraded focus a bit.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
It's good to get this information in the forefront again for the reasons you mentioned. So when the new camera features are listed, there aren't many comments of "is that all there is!?". I think there are a LOT of useable enhancements in the new camera... something in it for just about everyone.

The camera developer was on working on the 1080p camera a number of months ago and asked for my comments. I gave him feedback similar to what I just posted. I was mainly interested in getting stable colors in the video and less vignetting in the existing #11. I think he was listening... not only to my input, but many of the user requests posted here, because I later got the word that a new #11 was being worked on. And now it's almost ready.

The improvements are pretty much pushing the hardware to the limits of it's capability. I've got my fingers crossed the next firmware will seal the deal so this camera could be marketed in time for Christmas.
Good news to hear

PS. I did emailed the camera developer, asked him to pay big attention to this thread as well.
TrafalgarLaw is offline Find More Posts by TrafalgarLaw
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hd808Fan View Post
Hi Type8,

I also decided to deshake some vids using VirtualDub but they won't open. I ended up with this solution (Win7 32bit):

I downloaded this Quicktime Import Filter Plugin:
http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.p...t=14639&st=171
and used the following settings in the Quicktime.ini:

[Settings]
color=1
Mode=3
audio=1
quality=100
vtrack=1
atrack=1
gamma=
fourcc=

Now I can load all my files directly into VirtualDub and the editing/deshaking speed seems to be the same as editing equivalent avi files.

greetings
Hd808Fan
Doesn't simply processing the native .mov files with the MP4cam2AVI utility (download link in the FAQs) work for you? It simply repackages native audio and video into an .avi container... no re-encoding, no quality loss... very fast... a matter of seconds or maybe a minute or so with VERY large files. The resultant .AVI files have worked fine with Vdub and every other editor I've used with them.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
@Tchuss

My phone is HTC Inspire, 8mp cam that does 720p video. The included Gallery player would not locate mov files, no problem with MP4. So I use MX player which does both smoothly. The card in the phone is 8gb sandisk. #11 files located on the root of the card are fine.

I can upload directly to YouTube and edit there. An example here, still waiting for someone to make a keyfob cam this good!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3702

Also here - no vignetting

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1702
Your htc has a snapdragon processor, not a tegra 2
As well you play video on 800x480 display, vs 1280x720

I'm looking for "unlucky" tegra android

Thanks

e_lm_70
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined May 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't simply processing the native .mov files with the MP4cam2AVI utility (download link in the FAQs) work for you? It simply repackages native audio and video into an .avi container... no re-encoding, no quality loss... very fast... a matter of seconds or maybe a minute or so with VERY large files. The resultant .AVI files have worked fine with Vdub and every other editor I've used with them.
Thanks for that info, I had already forgotten MP4cam2AVI.
Will try this out...
Hd808Fan is offline Find More Posts by Hd808Fan
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:47 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post

Thanks

e_lm_70
That's true, a little better than NTSC DVD, but it does play the HD files ok. There is a codec download for MX player for Tegra, you probably tried it.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
.mov to mp4

Not sure if its already been said but when .mov files wont play for example on TV via USB stick I simply rename the file .mp4 and they work fine.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:

Thanks

e_lm_70
Quote:
That's true, a little better than NTSC DVD, but it does play the HD files ok. There is a codec download for MX player for Tegra, you probably tried it.
Can you please take the discussion about cell phone issues to PM or a different thread? Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Not sure if its already been said but when .mov files wont play for example on TV via USB stick I simply rename the file .mp4 and they work fine.
It hasn't been said very often, but worth repeating. .MP4 is an improved version of the .MOV format that Apple invented, but won't abandon in lieu of the .MP4 format, which is now the format of choice for just about everyone else. The file extension switch allows players that won't accept a .MOV file tag to play the video because of their similar file structure.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:24 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
Can you please take the discussion about cell phone issues to PM or a different thread? Thanks, guys.

It hasn't been said very often, but worth repeating. .MP4 is an improved version of the .MOV format that Apple invented, but won't abandon in lieu of the .MP4 format, which is now the format of choice for just about everyone else. The file extension switch allows players that won't accept a .MOV file tag to play the video because of their similar file structure.
Actually I would like to see the Video done over the #11 keycam over Android Tegra 2 tablet ... and I was hoping somebody could share how he manage it ...

So, it is not really totally off topic

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I'll respect Tom's request, but my first post was intended to show that the #11 files could be previewed on a Droid. So many posts here from folks frustrated with HD on older PC's, the answer might just be in their pocket.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
I'll respect Tom's request, but my first post was intended to show that the #11 files could be previewed on a Droid. So many posts here from folks frustrated with HD on older PC's, the answer might just be in their pocket.
Quote:
Actually I would like to see the Video done over the #11 keycam over Android Tegra 2 tablet ... and I was hoping somebody could share how he manage it ...

So, it is not really totally off topic

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Not totally off topic initially. But with SO many different handheld devices that can be used for video viewing now, I didn't want posts in the thread to branch into all the different brands, what kind of processors & firmware in them, etc. etc. needed to play a .MOV (or other format file). Specifics like that can be handled best by PM between parties to keep the focus on the #11 camera.

Similar situation a while back with FPV hardware discussion that evolved from a post saying a #11 camera was shooting the on-board video. The thread cop turned on the flashing red light then, too! Not trying to be a PITA... just want to have users find mostly #11 discussion here.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:32 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2008
625 Posts
micro plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post

My plan at the moment is to find a source for the single cell battery connectors, like the one on the micro indoor fliers. Once I have a half dozen of the connectors, I will start using my batteries for the micro indoor fliers, once I get the battery connector soldered in place. My eyes don't see the small stuff all that good these days and you have to be really careful with the hot iron, or other stuff gets messed up/over-heated. Then when I need a fresh, fully charged up LiPo battery, I just swap out as if I was flying one of the indoor fliers. Since those batteries only cost $1 on sale and have a neat little connector on them that fits into a dependable socket, I will run the wires for the battery connector on the outside of the camera casing. Not a big deal, but oh so convenient!
Hi Tsvah

Ball CZAR sez...

you can find those here

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9727

I have several #7 and #3 keyfobs with the female end of this jumper sticking out... works lika charm Got tired of the charging ritual... and the internal lipo being depleted in only a few mins of video. I am sure this can be used on the #11 as well.
gittarpikk is offline Find More Posts by gittarpikk
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:46 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Not totally off topic initially. But with SO many different handheld devices that can be used for video viewing now, I didn't want posts in the thread to branch into all the different brands, what kind of processors & firmware in them, etc. etc. needed to play a .MOV (or other format file). Specifics like that can be handled best by PM between parties to keep the focus on the #11 camera.

Similar situation a while back with FPV hardware discussion that evolved from a post saying a #11 camera was shooting the on-board video. The thread cop turned on the flashing red light then, too! Not trying to be a PITA... just want to have users find mostly #11 discussion here.
Tom,

Without trying to sing your praises to the point of being a sycophant your flashing red light as thread cop keeps this thread on topic. Thank you.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
I just buy this cam,

Can anyone verify that this is the real thing? And not the fake one!
Thanks !
Greetings from A norwegian viking!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Key-Chain...-/150699077717

Come on people! Yeah!
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Last edited by Mrj3cub; Nov 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Question for anyone who knows.
My #11 v.2 has finally lost all of its battery capacity, I maybe get about 20 seconds on a charge before it kicks off. I'm thinking of making a little project out of it.

I'm not sure if OP found a battery that has both the capacity and size of the original battery, if so, I'd love to buy one, if not, I might just take it apart and make something new with a bigger battery. If the stock battery is 4.2V, what is the max power the board will take? I'm thinking of adding a 5V regulator and running off of whatever I can find.
Ninety9 is offline Find More Posts by Ninety9
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:03 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub View Post
I just buy this cam,

Thanks !

Come on people! Yeah!
Real thing.
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub View Post
I just buy this cam,

Thanks !

Come on people! Yeah!
Please read post #1-#3... will answer this question plus most of the ones you might soon have.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety9 View Post
Question for anyone who knows.
My #11 v.2 has finally lost all of its battery capacity, I maybe get about 20 seconds on a charge before it kicks off. I'm thinking of making a little project out of it.

I'm not sure if OP found a battery that has both the capacity and size of the original battery, if so, I'd love to buy one, if not, I might just take it apart and make something new with a bigger battery. If the stock battery is 4.2V, what is the max power the board will take? I'm thinking of adding a 5V regulator and running off of whatever I can find.
Replacement batteries available from any of the vendors in post #2. See Post #3 FAQs for link to thorough discussion of external power.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk View Post
Hi Tsvah

Ball CZAR sez...

you can find those here

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9727

I have several #7 and #3 keyfobs with the female end of this jumper sticking out... works lika charm Got tired of the charging ritual... and the internal lipo being depleted in only a few mins of video. I am sure this can be used on the #11 as well.
Can you measure the plug... any dimension(s) that can be made clear from the picture in your HK link)?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 27, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
bit rates v image quality

My 1 week old #11 appears to record at just under 7mb/s.
Without checking what the original firm was, I flashed with the 'Rel2 - Recover time - 70 min.zip'
I read on this post that there are 2 record rates, either 7mb/s or 10mb/s and that the 10mb/s gives a slightly better image.
I would also like to know if the 'Rel2 - Recover time - 50 min.zip' records at 10mb/s and if it has the edge on image quality.

Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Tom,
what could be going on I recorded video on one total flight then flew again and the cam just shot off after few min.
I got home turned it on again and recorded another 15 min non stop.
What could be the reason for it to shot down sporadically??
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Replacement batteries available from any of the vendors in post #2. See Post #3 FAQs for link to thorough discussion of external power.
Well, I decided to use this as an excuse to try the jumbo 11, so I just bought one from one of the approved vendors. I figured I could get a replacement battery from a vendor, but I'm considering trying to fit the board directly in a new shell and retrofit a bigger battery to the board.

If I go that route, what voltage range should I look into with a battery? Am I stuck with lithium, if i want to recharge? Anyone done this?

Oh, as far as external batteries, I do have one and I love it. It's a digi power js-flip 3300mAh. Made custom cables for the 808, but i use it with my cell phone, too.
Ninety9 is offline Find More Posts by Ninety9
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
My 1 week old #11 appears to record at just under 7mb/s.
Without checking what the original firm was, I flashed with the 'Rel2 - Recover time - 70 min.zip'
I read on this post that there are 2 record rates, either 7mb/s or 10mb/s and that the 10mb/s gives a slightly better image.
I would also like to know if the 'Rel2 - Recover time - 50 min.zip' records at 10mb/s and if it has the edge on image quality..
There is no way for the user to adjust the data rates reliably with the current #11 camera. The Rel 1 firmware would SOMETIMES record at 10Mbps (ave.) with SOME flash cards if they were reformatted with smaller than default block sizes. That never worked on mine. The Rel 2 firmware seems to have eliminated that ability altogether... it never was a planned or reliable toggle.

For me, going to 10Mbps accomplishes two things... it makes video files about 40% larger files so less recorded video on a given flash card, and it uses more battery power, so less recording time on a given battery. Beyond that, I have not seen any difference in quality of the respective videos while playing, so for me, it's not worth it even if you have it. The optics in the #11 are not sharp enough to resolve detail fine enough for the higher data rate to make a visible difference. Some claim they can see a difference, but not me... at least not anything worth the big penalty of the consequences. Also, the data rate will rise and fall as the motion and detail in a given frame increases. It's possible to get over 10Mbps when it matters even when the video average data rate show only 7 Mbps.

For better looking video, add a small amount of "sharpness" with a video editor... THAT can make a big different in crispness of detail if done carefully.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Tom,
what could be going on I recorded video on one total flight then flew again and the cam just shot off after few min.
I got home turned it on again and recorded another 15 min non stop.
What could be the reason for it to shot down sporadically??
A poorly formatted flash or corrupted flash memory can can do this.

Format with the SDformatter utility.

Test with h2testw utility.

Test data rates with CrystalDiskMark utility.

I advised you to at least do the first reformatting in this recent post. Did you do it?

This is a self help thread.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 27, 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety9 View Post
Well, I decided to use this as an excuse to try the jumbo 11, so I just bought one from one of the approved vendors. I figured I could get a replacement battery from a vendor, but I'm considering trying to fit the board directly in a new shell and retrofit a bigger battery to the board.

If I go that route, what voltage range should I look into with a battery? Am I stuck with lithium, if i want to recharge? Anyone done this?

Oh, as far as external batteries, I do have one and I love it. It's a digi power js-flip 3300mAh. Made custom cables for the 808, but i use it with my cell phone, too.
I advised you just 3 posts prior to this to refer to the BIG discussion link in the FAQ's on using external power. Did you do it?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:07 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
If anyone is interested in the obivious, Diana (hxelepro@gmail.com) just sold me 2 batteries about an hour ago for my 2 original #11's that died within days of each other a few weeks ago.

$7.00 for 2 (YMMV but should be pretty close to this price)

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
If anyone is interested in the obivious, Diana (hxelepro@gmail.com) just sold me 2 batteries about an hour ago for my 2 original #11's that died within days of each other a few weeks ago.

$7.00 for 2 (YMMV but should be pretty close to this price)

Yabba
Was that the shipped price, Yabba?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:25 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Was that the shipped price, Yabba?
Hi Tom, Yeah, if I understood Diana correctly (she said thank you at least so I guess the deal went thru )

If I don't get them in a couple of weeks I'll guess it DIDN'T include shipping

Take care,
Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:03 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Thank you - that is indeed very fast to run, and the VideoOut.AVI file loads directly into VirtualDub now, or if I want to DeShake and fiddle with the levels, I can bypass the ffmpegsource loading method in AviSynth and go back to DirectShowSource :

Code:
DirectShowSource("VideoOut.avi")
DelayAudio(1.0)   # compensate for deshaking
Levels(0, 1, 255, 16, 235, coring=false)
 # this is the same as ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
Cheers
Last edited by Type8; Nov 28, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:31 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Thank you - that is indeed very fast to run, and the VideoOut.AVI file loads directly into VirtualDub now, or if I want to DeShake and fiddle with the levels, I can bypass the ffmpegsource loading method in AviSynth and go back to DirectShowSource :

Code:
DirectShowSource("PTDC0014.MOV")
DelayAudio(1.0)   # compensate for deshaking
Levels(0, 1, 255, 16, 235, coring=false)
 # this is the same as ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
Cheers

I've been trying avi synth with virtual dib and avidemux for some time lapse experiments, though don't really understand how to write my own code. I just lifted some time lapse code someone else wrote. (It works well by the way.) Out of curiosity I copied this code, edited as necessary to pick up a mov file from my pc, and tried it. As I understand it it allows import of mov into virtual dub with converting? It imported ok but with no audio? Was it my problem or is the script written that way please?

PS Do you know where I can find a good tutorial on writing scripts?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Sorry for confusion, I have edited my previous post - meant to have VideoOut.avi (created from mp4cam2avi's conversion), not the original MOV file. However, the MOV files now work on my Win 7 PC with DirectShowSource in the avs file - Lord Knows why or how, I've lost track of how many things I've fiddled with

I've now discovered you can also use AVISource with the VideoOut.avi (but not with the original MOV)
Quote:
AVISource("videoout.avi")
Last edited by Type8; Nov 28, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
.. with no audio? Was it my problem or is the script written that way please?

No idea about audio on your setup, sorry

AviSynth guides - try -
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/synth-vdub.htm
http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley...-tutorial.html
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:57 AM
Norge, Sør-Trøndelag, Viggja
Joined Aug 2011
39 Posts
So finally I got the chance to use the camera mounted on my Grim Reaper wing. The lens got a bit dirty after the first unsuccessful launch, and I couldn't get it cleaned properly, so the quality of the video could be better. I have mounted the 0,67 wide angle lens on the camera to get a little wider fov.
Grim Reaper testflight 22.11.11. Flown with Dragonlink (3 min 54 sec)
Svenna70 is offline Find More Posts by Svenna70
Last edited by Svenna70; Nov 28, 2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:14 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenna70 View Post
So finally I got the chance to use the camera mounted on my Grim Reaper wing. The lens got a bit dirty after the first unsuccessful launch, and I couldn't get it cleaned properly, so the quality of the video could be better. I have mounted the 0,67 wide angle lens on the camera to get a little wider fov.
Testflight Grim Reaper with 808 HD cam
I think you would have to pay quite a lot of $$s for special effects lens that produced the sparkly halo effect at the end of your flight into the sun, and you got if for free.
Mike
Nice video.
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:25 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the links.

The code worked when I opened an avi so maybe it (or my pc) didn't like it with a mov?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:19 AM
Norge, Sør-Trøndelag, Viggja
Joined Aug 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
I think you would have to pay quite a lot of $$s for special effects lens that produced the sparkly halo effect at the end of your flight into the sun, and you got if for free.
Mike
Nice video.
Haha, good point!
Svenna70 is offline Find More Posts by Svenna70
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:40 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
I've been trying avi synth with virtual dib and avidemux for some time lapse experiments, though don't really understand how to write my own code. I just lifted some time lapse code someone else wrote. (It works well by the way.) Out of curiosity I copied this code, edited as necessary to pick up a mov file from my pc, and tried it. As I understand it it allows import of mov into virtual dub with converting? It imported ok but with no audio? Was it my problem or is the script written that way please?

I've not had consistent handling of .MOV files in Vdub with that loading method. Avidemux can also repackage audio and video from .mov to .avi (direct copy with no re-encoding), but it loses the audio in the process, too. Use MP2cam2avi utility to convert them to .AVI files first, and they work, but I usually do re-encode just the audio to mp3 in the process. The audio re-encodes pretty fast... doesn't slow down the repackaging of the video by very much.

Google for "avisynth tutorial" and you'll get many hits.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2011
10 Posts
i have an older first generation 808#11..i have an external 5500ma 5volt battery i want to connect to the 808 ...with a 32 gig card and a standard usb cord from the external battery to cam it wont record very long..I need a differently pinned usb cord right??where do I get it?/ id rather not solder one.thanks j
johnbl is offline Find More Posts by johnbl
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
10 Posts
808 #11 charge and record at same time for 5-10 hrs

if i buy a newer generation 808#11...will the miniusb-usb connector be pinned so I can record 5-10 hrs with my external battery and 32 gig card?? If so..what vendor sells this I know the list of good vendors but unfortunately their sites dont specify whether it is a "special usb cord " supplied that allows external charge/record for 5-10hrs. simultaneoulsy..thanks j
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
I'd like to thank you for convincing me to flash my #11 to remove the annoying date/timestamp. It was reassuring that the FAQ says it's fairly safe, and the fact that the .bin files are hosted on this forum itself is a good sign. And it worked!

Using LogoAway was really slowing down my DeShakes - I was getting about 1.8fps, which was an hour or so per 3-4mins clip I've been experimenting with. Without having to use LogoAway it has now shot up to 7 or 8fps, and 10-15mins per pass is a lot better!

Cheers
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:17 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbl View Post
i have an older first generation 808#11..i have an external 5500ma 5volt battery i want to connect to the 808 ...with a 32 gig card and a standard usb cord from the external battery to cam it wont record very long..I need a differently pinned usb cord right??where do I get it?/ id rather not solder one.thanks j
The cord that came with your car charge IS the special cord. The FAQ in post #3 on external power shows a lot of detail about this as well as the new model.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:23 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbl View Post
if i buy a newer generation 808#11...will the miniusb-usb connector be pinned so I can record 5-10 hrs with my external battery and 32 gig card?? If so..what vendor sells this I know the list of good vendors but unfortunately their sites dont specify whether it is a "special usb cord " supplied that allows external charge/record for 5-10hrs. simultaneoulsy..thanks j
Yes, the FAQ shows pictures of the special cable with description! The vendors don't call it special because it comes with the camera. We call it special here so others don't try a USB cable that came with their cell phone, and wonder why it doesn't work. Of course, many do anyway because they don't read the FAQs.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:30 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
The picture in isoprop's excellent review calls the special cable a "charging" cable, the other cable a "USB" cable. Actually both cables can charge the camera, but only the 2 conductor special charging cable can be used for long term recording while charging.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
10 Posts
i read the faq..i thought the special cord is the miniusb-usb cable that is wired with the voltage and ground differently than a "standard"miniusb-usb cable
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
10 Posts
thanks for explanation..

Quote:
The picture in isoprop's excellent review calls the special cable a "charging" cable, the other cable a "USB" cable. Actually both cables can charge the camera, but only the 2 conductor special charging cable can be used for long term recording while charging.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:57 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
610 Posts
Quick question about propeller distortion. Just tried a #11 camera on my OV-10 Bronco. Thought that since it was a twin-motor, the camera would not be looking thru the prop, so I would not get distortion from the prop. Was bummed to see that I still get wavy distortion, correlated with motor RPM, even tho props are not in view. (Goes away on ground when motors shut down.) I have read about vibration problems, but these are well-balanced 3-blade props on new motors. Could it still be due to vibration? The cam is velcroed directly to a solid styrofoam dummy canopy (replacing scale clear canopy & cockpit). What kind/how much foam rubber is usually used to dampen vibration? (Sorry if this has been discussed on the thread somewhere, I tried some searches and did not get any useful hits.)

Thanks,

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:16 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
DaveA - search this thread for jello. It seems like vibration is causing your problem.
Closed Thread