HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:42 AM
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,337 Posts
So my #11 (currently powered by my heli's flight battery) switched into 15fps-like recording mode halfway during my last 5 minute flight. It was during a straight level portion of the flight (no rolling, flipping, or high-pitch high-strain on motor/battery/ESC when it happened). I re-tested it later in the evening and it was back to 30fps. Not sure what's up - I'll have to look into this ...

Could be the cam picking up ESC/motor noise I suppose ...

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Aug 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:30 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSLow2Care View Post
Kev, & tmsn,
here are some images of my camera and mount on my FMS P-51 mustang, along with my dental floss safety lanyard care of Yabba (thanks for the idea) the black line on the top of the cam is there for alignment. I put the cam into webcam mode, and took a straight edge to it. when the straight edge was lined up with the center of the frame, i drew a line with a sharpie marker. this way i know where my cam is pointed.
Clever way to get the camera aligned and camoflaging the mount on such a nicely detail plane with the black stripe and line!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:34 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
So my #11 (currently powered by my heli's flight battery) switched into 15fps-like recording mode halfway during my last 5 minute flight. It was during a straight level portion of the flight (no rolling, flipping, or high-pitch high-strain on motor/battery/ESC when it happened). I re-tested it later in the evening and it was back to 30fps. Not sure what's up - I'll have to look into this ...

Could be the cam picking up ESC/motor noise I suppose ...

-John
Have you tested your flash card with h2testw.exe? Sounds like maybe you were dropping frames, which this camera does not do in decent light. If it were outside noise, it would have affected the entire flight video.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Have you tested your flash card with h2testw.exe? Sounds like maybe you were dropping frames, which this camera does not do in decent light. If it were outside noise, it would have affected the entire flight video.
also, what speed / class is your card? I apologize if I missed that if you've stated it already. You may be choking the camera with an insufficient write speed to the card it's self.

Brian

Thanks Tom!! i think i'll put my 120deg lense back on and get some more video from the wingtip looking at the whole plane.
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:48 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorg View Post
any other rumors regarding a fixed WB firmware?
No... the current firmware being worked on is to extend the recording time to (hopefully) the 4GB file size limit, with the ability to continue recording. We had that once... not sure why it can't be easily and quickly fixed. I wonder if its possible to just get the camera to work with the exFAT file format, and eliminate the 4GB issue at the source. The "sunglasses" HD camera will work with exFAT, but the #11 will not (I tried it).

But my focus after this will be to get the white balance under control so it doesn't suddenly shift between yellow/blue hue as intensity changes.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:28 PM
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,337 Posts
Thanks guys - I'll have to check my card, it's a Class 6 8G I believe.

I've gotten a few dozen recordings so far and this is the first time it happened. Card wasn't full either - only one other 300M video on it. I've had 4-6 on it before without this happening. I realize card's performance can degrade over time though ...

-John

UPDATE: It's actually a class 4 card. According to H2testw:

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 10.3 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.4 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Aug 17, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Original message:

Hi there,

New to the forum and looking for some help with the Jumbo 808#11

I have read the posts on page 1,2 and 3 however this is regarding recording files and they are unplayable. I have tried numerous players. However the programme to recover broken files as on page 2 no longer works.

So am turning to the users \o/

Has anyone had this issue and found a permanent fix? It seems if I record say 1 gig of footage I can play back the file. When I record 3gb + say the files become corrupt. I really want continious footage as it will be recording while I ride etc.

Anyway over to you guys and thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
This is almost always caused by cheap and faulty micro SD cards. I had the same problem with a generic micro SD i got off eBay.. Was usually ok with small files but larger files were almost always corrupt.

I went with a Trenscend class 10 micro SD as recommended in the thread and it's never made a bad video since.

You can test your card with h2testw
This is confirmed by me also just bought a Kingston class 10 8gb card off amazon I now have no problems with the camera. Might be worth linking to page 1,2,3 for future users of the device

My Thanks

Cruel
Cruel is offline Find More Posts by Cruel
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,105 Posts
Tooslow, how come that your camera does not have the prop effect which turns props into black smears ?

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
I'm really wondering if modifying a .67x lens to sit even closer to the camera lens will do anything to improve the edge blurring? I was thinking perhaps its possible to take a dremel and shave off the back part. (like remove the magnetic ring, and shave down the lip around it) I figure you could get the lens 1-2 mm closer this way.

Anyone more familiar with optics know if this would work before I go destroying stuff?
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel View Post
Original message:

Hi there,

New to the forum and looking for some help with the Jumbo 808#11

I have read the posts on page 1,2 and 3 however this is regarding recording files and they are unplayable. I have tried numerous players. However the programme to recover broken files as on page 2 no longer works.

So am turning to the users \o/

Has anyone had this issue and found a permanent fix? It seems if I record say 1 gig of footage I can play back the file. When I record 3gb + say the files become corrupt. I really want continious footage as it will be recording while I ride etc.

Anyway over to you guys and thanks for reading.

This is confirmed by me also just bought a Kingston class 10 8gb card off amazon I now have no problems with the camera. Might be worth linking to page 1,2,3 for future users of the device

My Thanks

Cruel
Hi Cruel, Did you ever test the card that was giving you problems with the h2testw.exe utility? I added info in the flash memory link in the FAQs to always test your flash card, and gave download links to the two most recommended utilities, the h2testw utility to verify the cards capacity, and the CrystalDiskMark utility to test the card speed.

If the memory verification test shows no errors, then it becomes a matter of the write speed, and it's the random write speed that has the biggest impact. The official "Class" designation, e.g. CL4, CL6, CL10, etc. only measures the sequential write speed. And speed testing the card using the Crystal DiskMark utility will tell the tale on that. We've documented tests of some CL4 cards (Sandisk) being faster than some name brand CL6 and even CL10 cards.\ in the random write tests, so Class designation alone is only a partial indicator.

If everyone did these test when experiencing problems, I think the deficiency would show. FWIW, this is discussed in the FAQ link on what kind of memory card is good.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
I'm really wondering if modifying a .67x lens to sit even closer to the camera lens will do anything to improve the edge blurring? I was thinking perhaps its possible to take a dremel and shave off the back part. (like remove the magnetic ring, and shave down the lip around it) I figure you could get the lens 1-2 mm closer this way.

Anyone more familiar with optics know if this would work before I go destroying stuff?
If you don't mind opening the camera case and removing the tiny screw(s) that hold the circuit board to the case bottom, you can lift the circuit board out and test the effect of the separation distance between the add-on lens and the stock one. The separation distance always affects the focal plane image, but it may not change the out of focus issue. Best to put tape over the bare cricuit board components while handling.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
Tooslow, how come that your camera does not have the prop effect which turns props into black smears ?

KM
I hadn't paid any attention to that when I first watched the video, but I replayed. I think the biggest factor is the low light level at dusk, causing a longer exposure time for each video frame. So the spinning blade moves further during each exposure and looks more blurry. Add to that the 4-bladed prop, so you have twice as many blurred blades as normal. The motor rpm also comes into play. But the net effect looks more like a CCD video than one shot with CMOS sensor. Nice!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 17, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:03 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
Tom, you're right on. Carl, you can test placing the lens closer to the sensor and lens on the actual camera, but paying $13 for a lens means that it's really not top quality. i notice some ver bed vignetting on my 120deg wide angle lens. you may not need to dremel anything, you can start by simply prying out the magnetic ring & just go from there.

KM, I have no idea why i don't have the dreaded venetian blinds that my older #3 keychain cams see. when i mount this camera to my helicopter i see the wavy ripple effect from vibration, but i was pleasantly surprised when i didn't see my black line-prop.
Anyone think there is a CCD sensor instead of the CMOS-rolling shutter type? or am i just lucky with prop rpm vs frame rate on this cam? (that's your cue Tom )... never mind beat me to it...
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Last edited by TooSLow2Care; Aug 17, 2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Tom's too fast
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:07 PM
Airspeed, altitude, and brains
Wolverine MI Northern Lower Peninsula
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Here is a portion of a video I shot with the jumbo #11 this past weekend, using the latest long play firmware in very low light conditions, at sunset. There was a partial rainbow (1:35 and 2:36) which the camera picked up very well. I doubt that any autonomous camera can do much better with constant changes in lighting condition found in an RC flight. I have no complaints whatsoever.

http://www.vimeo.com/27733799

I had to clip out a 3 minute segment for posting to Vimeo due to their size limit, but the full videos, including some really nice sunset shots may be found here on my blog, posted to youtube due to large file sizes.
WOW!!! That is some kinda marsh! I'm assuming Mississippi River delta? Looks like a duck hunting haven! Here is my little duck hunting marsh...also taken with the 808 #11.

Flyin' the Spreads 1 (4 min 44 sec)

-Craig-
flightphotog is offline Find More Posts by flightphotog
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:08 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Yes, it's Mississippi Delta.

Very fine looking Duck haven you have there flightphotog!
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:14 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,086 Posts
[QUOTE=TooSLow2Care;19069271]Kev, & tmsn,
here are some images of my camera and mount on my FMS P-51 mustang, along with my dental floss safety lanyard care of Yabba (thanks for the idea) the black line on the top of the cam is there for alignment. I put the cam into webcam mode, and took a straight edge to it. when the straight edge was lined up with the center of the frame, i drew a line with a sharpie marker. this way i know where my cam is pointed.

Tom, you are a great help and source of good information about these cams. thank you again for all you do!!

Thanks TooSlow. Great pics.

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:13 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,317 Posts
Any word on the 72 degree version of the #11? Anyone get this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-11-Camera-Car...item336a0211a8
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:25 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
I paid for on of those from that seller on the 12th on eBay, if I look at that it says that "Estimated delivery: Aug-31-11 to Sep-14-11" or sometime in the next three weeks. I don't think it will be that slow though.

They have a tracking link that says it was "Processed Through Sort Facility, Aug-15-11, 09:33 AM, SHENZHEN" so it only took them about two days to get it to the post office.

Sometimes buying things from China is almost as exciting as watching grass grow. But when I shows up you've long forgotten about it so it like getting a surprise present!

I'll follow up here with a sample video when I get it though.

Tom,

Is there a suggested image to shoot and/or technique to use for for measuring the look angle on these? Like shooting an object of a known size from a measured distance or something?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Just got word on this... the 72 deg. AOV is specification for the lens from the manufacturer... the same lens as always according to one of the eBay vendors... just put the specs in the ad title. I advised this is confusing, and to keep the ad titles the same... just ad the specs in the camera features list.

I also got word they are trying out a 170 deg. angle lens. If it works out, it would cost a little more though. I also suggested a very slghtly wider AOV lens, just enough to give more even light level across the CMOS sensor (less vignetting), but with no significant linear distortion.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
@Tom Frank do you think that they will sell just "lens" so I can replace my #11 to 72-170 deg, without "external" lens(wide,fish eye, like I now have it).

thanks
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:52 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
Tom,

Is there a suggested image to shoot and/or technique to use for for measuring the look angle on these? Like shooting an object of a known size from a measured distance or something?

Jack
That was done with the current camera... 58.2 deg. angle required just to capture the image seen in the video... see the FAQs link for more info. You can use any flat object...just measure the exact distance it is from the camera, and the exact width of the object that is capture in the video frame (NOT still photos). With that info the rest can be calculated. But that does not give the real AOV of the lens, which will be greater so that it can illuminate the sensor with less light drop off at the edges.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 18, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
@Tom Frank do you think that they will sell just "lens" so I can replace my #11 to 72-170 deg, without "external" lens(wide,fish eye, like I now have it).

thanks
I don't know. It might even be a totally different CMOS/lens module, in which case the different lens may not work properly by simply screwing it into the existing CMOS mount (even if the threads are the same). And if that is the case, the ribbon cable pinouts may be different, requiring a different circuit board layout. We just have to wait and see what appears.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of vibration, I was getting a horrible buzzing sound on my jumbo cameras. I thought my motor was giving out on me, but could never hear anything in static tests.

Upon giving the keycams a shake test the answer was revealed. There is a little chrome button and a chrome colored fake key on the case which is loosely mounted. The buttons also vibrate.

Initially I considered using CA, but decided not to out of fear that it might wick inside and affect something sensitive. I opted for a liberal application of blue painters masking tape to the ornery parts. One piece of tape covers the three buttons but still allows them to be depressed. Happy to report that my plane now hums like a bee again. A low tech but effective solution.

More about sound. I like to reduce the volume with Vdub, but I leave 5% of the audio in so I can gauge airspeed. After watching many hours of these videos I can even tell when the plane is slipping or skidding by variations in the tone of the "airspeed indicator".
Has anyone tried taking the cam apart to see if the fake key can be removed? I suppose that wouldn't help with the other buttons vibrating.

I just picked one of these up last week. I'm recovering from gallbladder surgery or I'd have it in the air already. Come on immune system - heal me!
EdmundGerber is offline Find More Posts by EdmundGerber
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:26 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,892 Posts
Edit>>Sorry, somehow didn't notice this question had already come up!<<

Videos look much better when they have no weird propellor artifacts. Perhaps the low light is playing a part in this? I'd love to shoot through the prop and have a video turn out like this!

tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSLow2Care View Post
so... back on topic, here's a video with my stock focused #11 ( i think it could be better if slightly biased towards infinity ) and the 0.67 aluminum wide angle lens on my FMS 1.4M P-51.

i shot this earlier this evening just at sunset.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCpi6kPCGg4
Cheers,
Brian
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Aug 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Oops
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:32 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post
Has anyone tried taking the cam apart to see if the fake key can be removed? I suppose that wouldn't help with the other buttons vibrating.

I just picked one of these up last week. I'm recovering from gallbladder surgery or I'd have it in the air already. Come on immune system - heal me!
I put blue masking tape on the fake key, and a strip across all three buttons. No more vibration.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
I put blue masking tape on the fake key, and a strip across all three buttons. No more vibration.
So this fake key causes vibration? I don't think so
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:47 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,105 Posts
That is not so far fetched. Wind speed could indeed move the buttons and cause them to tapple against the cam board.

If it removes the wobbling I dont know but I will try it definetely.

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,421 Posts
Okay, help! I just got one of the jumbo #11 cameras, and it worked fine. But then I made the mistake of using it in webcam mode with my laptop, and now it's stuck only recording 320x240 video. I've tried turning it off and back on, using the reset button, and flashing different versions of the firmware. Nothing will make it go back to recording in HD. I got a fine test HD recording before I tried webcam mode, so I know it does record in HD. How the heck do I get it to record in HD again??

EDIT: Nevermind. It was an issue with the memory card. I tried a different card and it recording properly in HD. Then I switched back to the first card and it only recorded in 320x240. I then formatted the first card, and it worked in HD again. So if you see this problem, format your memory card.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Last edited by prelator; Aug 18, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:49 PM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Edit>>Sorry, somehow didn't notice this question had already come up!<<

Videos look much better when they have no weird propellor artifacts. Perhaps the low light is playing a part in this? I'd love to shoot through the prop and have a video turn out like this!

tn
I have a 3CCD camera that has manual settings and I have played around with this - it's disconcerting to see the prop going one way, then hesitate, and then go backwards. This can happen in bright light with fast exposure settings. It can be eliminated with lower speeds, then you get a disc more like what the eye sees.

With a simple cam in bright light it is possible to trick the camera by using a neutral filter or a Polarizing filter. It then uses slower exposure.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
An 11 in 11 days shipping from eletoponline365

Hey all,

Got my #11 today. Just 11 days shipping to Kentucky, great...

Works fine out of the package, pretty amazing video for this tiny device.

Now on to a hat and some videos of me flying.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:

On the BMW Jumbo, the fake key, the silver loop at the butt end, and fake button can all be removed (In fact they can fall out when the case is opened). But that leaves a bunch of holes in the case where dirt, moisture, etc. can enter, but might give better cooling for the video chips. All these extra silver colored pieces on mine aren't loose enough to rattle with the case screwed together. I chose to leave then in place... they weigh only 1GM combined.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined Jul 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
On the BMW Jumbo, the fake key, the silver loop at the butt end, and fake button can all be removed (In fact they can fall out when the case is opened). But that leaves a bunch of holes in the case where dirt, moisture, etc. can enter, but might give better cooling for the video chips. All these extra silver colored pieces on mine aren't loose enough to rattle with the case screwed together. I chose to leave then in place... they weigh only 1GM combined.
Thanks, Tom. Only a gram? May as well leave them and tape them in place, then. Mine are quite loose....

Leave it to Tom to have the answer. Thanks for all your efforts in this and other subjects
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Tom. Only a gram? May as well leave them and tape them in place, then. Mine are quite loose....

Leave it to Tom to have the answer. Thanks for all your efforts in this and other subjects
A touch of silicone adhesive on the inside would keep them from rattling. yet can be easily scraped free if you ever want to remove them. I'd have preferred a simple smooth case without the key fob camo though.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Jul 2010
189 Posts
I have a tube of that in the shop as well. Good idea...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:16 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
So this fake key causes vibration? I don't think so
The key and buttons do not cause vibration, they vibrate against the case when the motor is running, or sometimes just from the wind. The mic is very sensitive and picks up the vibration. Sounds like the motor is throwing a bearing or something.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:59 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
I just did the firm upgd on my two hd's

So far, they both work great now ... no time stamp. I could have lived with it on, but I'm so glad it's off now. What a great little camera! Now if I can figure out some way to mount that slippery case!

I plan to remove the internal 1S battery and re-connect it thru a jst conn. I have several 1S packs, that I'll velcro to the frame near the camera. I'll have several charged up, ready for use.

Kenny
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman007 View Post
So far, they both work great now ... no time stamp. I could have lived with it on, but I'm so glad it's off now. What a great little camera! Now if I can figure out some way to mount that slippery case!

I plan to remove the internal 1S battery and re-connect it thru a jst conn. I have several 1S packs, that I'll velcro to the frame near the camera. I'll have several charged up, ready for use.

Kenny
You need to remember that the stock battery comes with a small protection circuit board soldered to the battery to protect against both high and low voltage. If your other batteries do not have this, you could overdischarge the cell, and should not connect the camera to the car charger if the external battery (with no protection circuit board) is connected to the camera.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:11 AM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,421 Posts
One question about the jumbo #11's. Does the charge light work the same way? Every time I plug mine in, the red light flashes for an instant and then goes out. Right now I'm assuming that just means the battery is currently fully charged, and I haven't used it enough yet to discharge it. I'll have to try recording for a while to see if then it will charge, but my last regular #11 keychain cam would always have the charge light come on as soon as you plugged it in. I'm wondering if the charge light doesn't actually come on on these when it's charging.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:34 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Just got my 808 #11 camera today.

A few questions:

The video recording quality doesn't look up to snuff as some of the other youtube videos I have seen. I have verified that it is recording in 720p resolution, but it looks very grainy overall. It is nighttime right now so I do understand there were be some quality loss with low light situations.

Any ideas or do all the 808's work like this in low light or house light situations?

Lastly, I do not have a time/date on my .MOV files when recorded. Not complaining because I don't really want it there, but thought it was weird not to have it since all the other youtube videos show the time/date.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:40 AM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,421 Posts
The latest cameras are shipping with the updated firmware that removes the date stamp and allows recording longer than 20 minutes. And it's probably just grainy because of the low light. They don't handle low light very well.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:42 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
The latest cameras are shipping with the updated firmware that removes the date stamp and allows recording longer than 20 minutes. And it's probably just grainy because of the low light. They don't handle low light very well.
Thank you for your quick reply sir.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:40 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
743 Posts
Another HD user here! I ordered mine and it was sent the 17th.....I already had the #8 cam but this one is a better one, so I couldn't resist for $37,95 incl shipping. Also got a 32 Gb micro sd and a fisheye......
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:33 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
The key and buttons do not cause vibration, they vibrate against the case when the motor is running, or sometimes just from the wind. The mic is very sensitive and picks up the vibration. Sounds like the motor is throwing a bearing or something.
So you recommend to tape this "fake" button?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
I just received the #11 camera.
My audio is terrible, loud beeping noise about every 3 seconds along with a buzz sound. I'm using a 8g class 10 card. I charged the camera with usb for a least 3 hrs. I'm hoping I can fix this.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
mikecup is offline Find More Posts by mikecup
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:30 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecup View Post
My audio is terrible, loud beeping noise about every 3 seconds along with a buzz sound. I'm using a 8g class 10 card. I charged the camera with usb for a least 3 hrs. I'm hoping I can fix this.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

I have bad noise if I look at my video with VLC.
It is looking more a player issue then a fault on the key cam

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
One question about the jumbo #11's. Does the charge light work the same way? Every time I plug mine in, the red light flashes for an instant and then goes out. Right now I'm assuming that just means the battery is currently fully charged, and I haven't used it enough yet to discharge it. I'll have to try recording for a while to see if then it will charge, but my last regular #11 keychain cam would always have the charge light come on as soon as you plugged it in. I'm wondering if the charge light doesn't actually come on on these when it's charging.
Your assumption is correct... do your test to confirm.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
Quote:
You need to remember that the stock battery comes with a small protection circuit board soldered to the battery to protect against both high and low voltage. If your other batteries do not have this, you could overdischarge the cell, and should not connect the camera to the car charger if the external battery (with no protection circuit board) is connected to the camera.
My intent is to use my Hitec X4 to charge the batteries. I won't be using the cam in my car. Just want it for flight video. I'm only going to mod one of the cams I have, to start with.

Thanks for the warning about the battery protection circuit. Sounds like a good idea.

Kenny
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:42 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Just got my 808 #11 camera today.

A few questions:

The video recording quality doesn't look up to snuff as some of the other youtube videos I have seen. I have verified that it is recording in 720p resolution, but it looks very grainy overall. It is nighttime right now so I do understand there were be some quality loss with low light situations.

Any ideas or do all the 808's work like this in low light or house light situations?

Lastly, I do not have a time/date on my .MOV files when recorded. Not complaining because I don't really want it there, but thought it was weird not to have it since all the other youtube videos show the time/date.
All inexpensive CMOS cameras get grainy in low light. Compare yours in good light like the videos you've seen. Also, some vendors install the firmware that has the date stamp turned off... you got one of those.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
My intent is to use my Hitec X4 to charge the batteries. I won't be using the cam in my car. Just want it for flight video. I'm only going to mod one of the cams I have, to start with.

Thanks for the warning about the battery protection circuit. Sounds like a good idea.

Kenny
The camera will actually stop taking video long before the battery could get drained too low by the internal clock, which is still powered even when the camera is turned off. So over-discharging could only occur if you left the camera unused and uncharged for quite a long time with a battery plugged in. I don't know how long that would take (weeks or months), but to be safe, I'd unplug the battery for long term storage. If you need an accurate time stamp on your videos, get the neat time setting utility program that Isoprop authored... a link is in the FAQs in post#3.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
Quote:
The camera will actually stop taking video long before the battery could get drained too low by the internal clock, which is still powered even when the camera is turned off. So over-discharging could only occur if you left the camera unused and uncharged for quite a long time with a battery plugged in. I don't know how long that would take (weeks or months), but to be safe, I'd unplug the battery for long term storage. If you need an accurate time stamp on your videos, get the neat time setting utility program that Isoprop authored... a link is in the FAQs in post#3.
I have that utility, though I haven't used it yet. Now my problem is trying to mount the slippery keychain package to my quad. Any suggestions? I've ordered a 12"X12"X1/4" sheet of the clear gel from McMaster. It shipped today.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:04 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Any help would be great.
Thanks
The loud beeping noise is not normal... posting a sound sample might help understand what you are hearing. There is an interrmittant buzz at 1 sec. intervals that normally starts when the battery voltage begins to get low. On my small #11, this becomes audible about 10 min. before the battery stops recording, and gets louder as the battery getts weaker. But on my new Jumbo, I can hear it very faintly even with a freshly charged battery! It's pretty annoying if sound in your video is important (it's not on my aerial video which is blasted with prop and air noise anyway). So some cameras seem to have this issue worse than others, and there is no fix I know of.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
I've only made it to page 26 of this thread so far ...

Tom, you've done a great job of fielding questions and offering suggestions. I've only made it to page 26 of this thread, so far, but I plan to continue thru to the end. Thanks again!

Kenny
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:18 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
So you recommend to tape this "fake" button?
I found that the key, the chrome button and the real buttons all will vibrate and make noise. I ran a strip of tape across the top of all three of the real buttons, and can still depress them normally. I also taped the key and the chrome button on top. Along the way I shook the camera to listen for moving parts. Just keep taping until there is no more rattle. Just don't cover the lens or the LED.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
I have that utility, though I haven't used it yet. Now my problem is trying to mount the slippery keychain package to my quad. Any suggestions? I've ordered a 12"X12"X1/4" sheet of the clear gel from McMaster. It shipped today.
The industrial self-stick velcro sticks to my small #11 case very well, but it may not isolate vibration, especially on multi-prop and conventional heli platforms.

On my planes, I don't rely on velcro, though, opting to wrap tape around the plane and camera, with a sheet of small bubble-wrap between the camera and plane for vibration isolation. Works well on most of my planes, but I have the option of using a wide variety of motor rpm while shooting video, which you don't with a quad or heli.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
The loud beeping noise is not normal... posting a sound sample might help understand what you are hearing. There is an interrmittant buzz at 1 sec. intervals that normally starts when the battery voltage begins to get low. On my small #11, this becomes audible about 10 min. before the battery stops recording, and gets louder as the battery getts weaker. But on my new Jumbo, I can hear it very faintly even with a freshly charged battery! It's pretty annoying if sound in your video is important (it's not on my aerial video which is blasted with prop and air noise anyway). So some cameras seem to have this issue worse than others, and there is no fix I know of.
Well I'm hoping its not charged completely. I'm going to let it charge for a good 10hrs.
I plug it in in to the usb and the red light comes on for about 5 sec then goes off. Like was mentioned before, I'm hoping its still charging with the light off. Or I have a defective one, the outside video very clear.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Well I'm hoping its not charged completely. I'm going to let it charge for a good 10hrs.
I plug it in in to the usb and the red light comes on for about 5 sec then goes off. Like was mentioned before, I'm hoping its still charging with the light off. Or I have a defective one, the outside video very clear.
The RED is likely going off because the battery it fully charged, or at least as much as it's going to be using the camera's built in charge circuit.

Try testing the battery voltage after the red LED goes off and the camera has sat turn off and disconnected for about 20 minutes. This will tell the state of charge based on the resting voltage of the cell. Keeping it connected any longer will not accomplish any further charging of the cell if the circuitry is functioning normally. You should measure between 4.1V to 4.2V on the cell.

Is your #11 a small one or a Jumbo? I'd be interested in hearing the sounds youe mention. Can you post a video link here so we can hear it?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
The RED is likely going off because the battery it fully charged, or at least as much as it's going to be using the camera's built in charge circuit.

Try testing the battery voltage after the red LED goes off and the camera has sat turn off and disconnected for about 20 minutes. This will tell the state of charge based on the resting voltage of the cell. Keeping it connected any longer will not accomplish any further charging of the cell if the circuitry is functioning normally. You should measure between 4.1V to 4.2V on the cell.

Is your #11 a small one or a Jumbo? I'd be interested in hearing the sounds youe mention. Can you post a video link here so we can hear it?
I'm trying to figure out how to get a link on here, give me a few min and I'll figure it out.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how to get a link on here, give me a few min and I'll figure it out.
Just copy the URL address from the browser address bar when you have the video site loaded, then paste the address into your post here.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:17 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
I attach the cameras to the plane with a good long strip of velcro on the back side, and that's it. My cams are about half embedded in a recess in each wing, so that probably helps hold them. Also it's a sailplane so there is not so much speed to knock the camera off. Never had one appear loose yet after landing.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Just copy the URL address from the browser address bar when you have the video site loaded, then paste the address into your post here.
maybe I'm doing something wrong.
The only way to view my movies (.mov) from the camera is to use quicktime movie.
Unless there is another way, the movie file is 52.9 mb,and its short , its taking forever to load to youtube.
How does one view the movies from the camera?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
The only way to view my movies (.mov) from the camera is to use quicktime movie.
Unless there is another way, the movie file is 52.9 mb,and its short , its taking forever to load to youtube.
What PC operating system do you have?
What other video players have you tried?
Do you have cable internet or dialup?
Does you computer have a card reader?

More info needed to help.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
What PC operating system do you have?
What other video players have you tried?
Do you have cable internet or dialup?
Does you computer have a card reader?

More info needed to help.
Windows Vista, Windstream broadband internet(fastest they offer) ,
I haven't tried any other video players, I had to download the quicktime movie to be able to watch the videos, nothing else that I had on my computer would play .mov files. I don't have a card reader, thought you could just use the camera for that. I may have one somewhere around the house. Do you think the memory card could be causing my problem, its brand new, 8g class 10.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
You are probably missing the H.264 codec, or the .mov file is being rejected by you system software. Download the free VLC player... it has the codec integrated with it. For simple editing, download the free AviDemux editor. It will import the .mov file and output in a variety of formats. No fancy transitions or titles, though... just trimming, with some filters for tweaking colors, etc. if you are so inclined.

It's probably time to consider upgrading Vista to W7 if your PC has the necessary resources for it. Then you can download and use the free Windows Live Movie Maker for editing and Windows Media Player for just playing. The codecs will be included and both will import the native .mov files.

The camera can be used to play the files, but the USB connection can be a bottle neck for playing and/or uploading. Some microSD flash cards come with simple USB card readers which are usually faster, but for top speed, you really should copy the file to your computer first. That can be done right off the camera, of course. Then play/upload the files from your hard drive, not the camera.

You should test the card for memory integrity and speed. See the FAQs in post #3 for details. This will confirm your card is not the problem, but it could be a bad apple, too. Until you test it you just don't know.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:12 AM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
Keychain Camera 808 #11 Audio Problem (0 min 40 sec)

Here is the audio noise I'm getting.

Sry for the shaking.
Last edited by mikecup; Aug 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:27 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:

Here is the audio noise I'm getting.
Sry for the shaking.
That must be some electromagnetic inteference. I have the same near my car (even when it's shut-off).

Sounds loud, but the audio automatic gain is at it's max because of low ambient noise.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:33 AM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
I think I may have a defective camera.
I'm wondering if the seller (eletoponline365) would let me retun it.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:14 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
I am not sure if it is the camera only. Probably there is somebody in your living area with a high power radio broadcast or something.... So I would also test it in the fields outside the city.

It's known that this cam is not shielded so well (understatement, there is no shielding at all).
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:10 AM
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Aug 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
I am not sure if it is the camera only. Probably there is somebody in your living area with a high power radio broadcast or something.... So I would also test it in the fields outside the city.

It's known that this cam is not shielded so well (understatement, there is no shielding at all).
No, that is exactly the noise you get when the battery is running down. I have a video where just about two minutes before the camera shut down that exact same noise got louder and louder. I would send it back.

Link to video:-
Blackpool / St.Annes Sandhills (2 min 1 sec)

(Training on the sandhills Blackpool to St.Annes, camera held in my left hand)
modea2 is offline Find More Posts by modea2
Last edited by modea2; Aug 20, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
I think that sound is the clock itself

I think you're hearing it's "heartbeat". I have my hd flashed for no timestamp and no recording limit. I started it up last night just to see what would happen when the battery ran out. It made a file a little over 2GB and 40 min. The file played fine but there was a noise on the audio every second exactly. I can only guess that it's timekeeping routine is generating noise as it runs, especially when the ambient noise is so low that the AGC is cranked up all the way, amplifying the sound even more.

It's not an issue for me, since I'll be replacing the sound track with something more soothing in post production

Kenny
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
I tried the car charger, thinking maybe the usb charger was not working.
But same result, I emailed the ebay seller (eletoponline365), stating my problem and that I would like a replacement, no answer yet.
Last edited by mikecup; Aug 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
Brian, very nice, post # 6195. Just add the pilot.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Aug 20, 2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: 6195
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:10 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,421 Posts
Hmm, so I think I'll be returning my jumbo #11. Just did my first flight test with it today, and not only did it turn out to be way too big to mount on the wing of my Dynam Hawk Sky (caused a ton of drag and made the plan really sluggish to turn), but the video quality was also vastly inferior to the regular #11. The footage wasn't nearly as smooth as past cameras, and the video also seemed to skew weirdly every time the blank banked. It was like the pixels on the top half of the frame came off alignment with the pixels on the bottom half of the frame, so the whole picture looked twisted. The aspect ratio also looked off, as the picture seemed slightly squished vertically the whole time.

Just contacted the ebay seller to arrange to return it, after which I'll buy another regular #11 instead. In the end, I don't think the nearly doubled size is worth the longer battery life to justify it.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:33 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Thanks guys for helping me find my #11.

Got my new #11 and here's the first video from my Super Cub today. hope you enjoy!

MAKE sure to select 720p HD

SuperCub LP Flight August 20 (7 min 21 sec)
Old Aug 20, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
776 Posts
Folks, I've tried to find the answer to my question, and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere here in this thread, but all that I've found is somehow mixed with some technical information. Just to go straight to the point:

Can I plug a 2S battery to supply my camera through the USB port? Yes/no

I have some pretty ligth weight batteries that I use on my E-Sky Lama V4. I've cut the car charger and adapted the plug to directly attach to the battery (without *ANY* BEC). It seems to be working fine since the led indicates the camera is charging but I'm afraid to be overcharging the circuit since it's 5v and 2s are 7.4v.

Here is my battery: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9276
rnelias is online now Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, so I think I'll be returning my jumbo #11. Just did my first flight test with it today, and not only did it turn out to be way too big to mount on the wing of my Dynam Hawk Sky (caused a ton of drag and made the plan really sluggish to turn), but the video quality was also vastly inferior to the regular #11. The footage wasn't nearly as smooth as past cameras, and the video also seemed to skew weirdly every time the blank banked. It was like the pixels on the top half of the frame came off alignment with the pixels on the bottom half of the frame, so the whole picture looked twisted. The aspect ratio also looked off, as the picture seemed slightly squished vertically the whole time.

Just contacted the ebay seller to arrange to return it, after which I'll buy another regular #11 instead. In the end, I don't think the nearly doubled size is worth the longer battery life to justify it.
Did you test your flash memory card?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
Folks, I've tried to find the answer to my question, and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere here in this thread, but all that I've found is somehow mixed with some technical information. Just to go straight to the point:

Can I plug a 2S battery to supply my camera through the USB port? Yes/no

I have some pretty ligth weight batteries that I use on my E-Sky Lama V4. I've cut the car charger and adapted the plug to directly attach to the battery (without *ANY* BEC). It seems to be working fine since the led indicates the camera is charging but I'm afraid to be overcharging the circuit since it's 5v and 2s are 7.4v.

Here is my battery: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9276
That's too much voltage! 5V is max. allowed per the developer.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
Airspeed, altitude, and brains
Wolverine MI Northern Lower Peninsula
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it's Mississippi Delta.

Very fine looking Duck haven you have there flightphotog!
Thanks...yeah, I have fun there. Not alot of birds, but not alot of hunters either, so I can let the birds work the decoy spread. I have as much fun watching them work the spread as I do actually shooting at them.

-Craig-
flightphotog is offline Find More Posts by flightphotog
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Did you test your flash memory card?
Not sure what you mean. I had just recently formatted the memory card, so it should have been fine. I doubt that would produce the weird skewing of the video either. The main issue though is that the thing is just too darn big to have on my wing, which is the only place I can put it. I'm going to have enough drag to deal with from my new FPV system, and don't want that huge thing on the wing. I should have just stuck with the regular #11s, so that's what I'll be getting now.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:21 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what you mean. I had just recently formatted the memory card, so it should have been fine. I doubt that would produce the weird skewing of the video either. The main issue though is that the thing is just too darn big to have on my wing, which is the only place I can put it. I'm going to have enough drag to deal with from my new FPV system, and don't want that huge thing on the wing. I should have just stuck with the regular #11s, so that's what I'll be getting now.
Testing methods are outlined in the FAQs on post#3. Formatting a card that has memory errors doesn't make it a good card. Your card may be OK, but I'd certainly test it unless you know it has worked properly in a different camera.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 04:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here.

I've got a number 11 (not a jumbo) and I'm trying to find out how I can get one of these cameras to last a whole day of recording (ideally 5 hours) without needing to recharge. I want to take it out with me and won't be anywhere near a mains supply and won't have time to re-charge it.

There is a lot of information on this thread but I feel a bit overwhelmed and confused. I read one post that seems to show 88 minutes as being the maximum recording time, but I read another post that seems to claim that an external battery pack will last over 10 hours.

Could anyone please clarify: is it really possible to record for over 5 hours? How big an SD card would be needed and what is the maximum size card the camera will take? And is there an external battery pack that will last about 5 hours? There seems to be one that will last 10 hours but maybe there's something half the size that will do me and be more portable?

Also, I really know nothing about soldering. Could anyone give me a brief explanation of what I would need to do to get this working? I've bought a soldering iron (still in the packaging) but do I need any other tools?

Thanks if anyone can advise me.
Bobby Ball is offline Find More Posts by Bobby Ball
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:16 AM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Testing methods are outlined in the FAQs on post#3. Formatting a card that has memory errors doesn't make it a good card. Your card may be OK, but I'd certainly test it unless you know it has worked properly in a different camera.
Ah okay. Well I actually just misplaced the memory card so when I find it I'll have to try that, though I'll probably wait until I get the new camera since I'm still returning this one because of size.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ball View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here.

I've got a number 11 (not a jumbo) and I'm trying to find out how I can get one of these cameras to last a whole day of recording (ideally 5 hours) without needing to recharge. I want to take it out with me and won't be anywhere near a mains supply and won't have time to re-charge it.

There is a lot of information on this thread but I feel a bit overwhelmed and confused. I read one post that seems to show 88 minutes as being the maximum recording time, but I read another post that seems to claim that an external battery pack will last over 10 hours.

Could anyone please clarify: is it really possible to record for over 5 hours? How big an SD card would be needed and what is the maximum size card the camera will take? And is there an external battery pack that will last about 5 hours? There seems to be one that will last 10 hours but maybe there's something half the size that will do me and be more portable?

Also, I really know nothing about soldering. Could anyone give me a brief explanation of what I would need to do to get this working? I've bought a soldering iron (still in the packaging) but do I need any other tools?

Did you read the post linked in the FAQs (Post#3) about recording time and external power? ALWAYS go to the FAQs first to get your questions answered. Most of your questions will be answered there.

The largest flash memory card the #11 will take is 32 GB, which will hold about 10 hours of video, so a 16 MB card should meet your needs and save quite a bit on cost.

If you don't have soldering skills, I would NOT recommend you develop them trying to modify this camera. Just get one of the external power supplies and use the USB port on the camera. If your camera came with the newer style car charger that is just a small separate plug with a standard size USB plug in it (See the pic in the FAQs link), you can use the special (thin, 2 wire) cord that came with the charger with ANY standard external USB power pack that accepts a standard size USB plug. The camera vendors have an external power supply that can be ordered with the camera that will last about 4 hours. If you need 5 hours, the external USB pack would need to have an output rating of about 1700 mAH at 5V.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 07:19 PM
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
I used virtual dub to edit a video down in size that I took with my Key camera. It was a 699mb avi file. When I cut out the video I did not want somehow I ended up with a 47GB file. What am I doing wrong?
dmoshiloh is offline Find More Posts by dmoshiloh
Old Aug 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined May 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Thanks guys for helping me find my #11.

Got my new #11 and here's the first video from my Super Cub today. hope you enjoy!

MAKE sure to select 720p HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVyFjMhhr38&hd=1
How do you select things on a #11? All I see is how to change from photo to video and start and stop, or take a pic.
Big Plane dude is offline Find More Posts by Big Plane dude
Old Aug 21, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoshiloh View Post
I used virtual dub to edit a video down in size that I took with my Key camera. It was a 699mb avi file. When I cut out the video I did not want somehow I ended up with a 47GB file. What am I doing wrong?
Sounds like you may have "Uncompressed RGB/YCbCr" selected as the compression format in the "Video -> Compression..." menu. Instead, select "Direct stream copy" in the "Video" drop-down. That will leave the video in its original H.264 format.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Plane dude View Post
How do you select things on a #11? All I see is how to change from photo to video and start and stop, or take a pic.
Read the FAQs! Post #3, just like the title says. But there is not much you CAN do with the #11 other than video, photos, and web cam mode. What are you looking to do?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
Sounds like you may have "Uncompressed RGB/YCbCr" selected as the compression format in the "Video -> Compression..." menu. Instead, select "Direct stream copy" in the "Video" drop-down. That will leave the video in its original H.264 format.
Yep, that's it. But as an alternative, use AviDemux... you can import the native .mov files directly, where you have to first convert to .avi with Vdub, unless you are using an alternative method via avisynth, or a Quicktime add-on, which didn't use to work with W7 OS. Maybe that has been fixed by now, but AviDemux has many filter options similar to Vdub for color correction, rotation, sharpening, etc. etc., so why not avoid the necessity of a crutch to import into Vdub? AviDemux can also output in (direct stream ) copy mode, and package into different containers, unlike Vdub which only supports .avi.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Yep, that's it. But as an alternative, use AviDemux... you can import the native .mov files directly, where you have to first convert to .avi with Vdub, unless you are using an alternative method via avisynth, or a Quicktime add-on, which didn't use to work with W7 OS. Maybe that has been fixed by now, but AviDemux has many filter options similar to Vdub for color correction, rotation, sharpening, etc. etc., so why not avoid the necessity of a crutch to import into Vdub? AviDemux can also output in (direct stream ) copy mode, and package into different containers, unlike Vdub which only supports .avi.
I've tried AviDemux for just trimming videos, but for some reason the output does not display correctly on my Win7 system: the audio is there but the video is just black. I mainly use Vegas Movie Studio for editing (I still prefer it after trying Magix) so I haven't really tried to figure out what's wrong, but for just trimming or for using certain VirtualDub filters (like Deshaker, which seems to work better than Vegas' stabilizer), I just use an .avs file with a DirectShowSource("filename.mov") command and open that with VirtualDub. It works fine on Win7.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
I've tried AviDemux for just trimming videos, but for some reason the output does not display correctly on my Win7 system: the audio is there but the video is just black. I mainly use Vegas Movie Studio for editing (I still prefer it after trying Magix) so I haven't really tried to figure out what's wrong, but for just trimming or for using certain VirtualDub filters (like Deshaker, which seems to work better than Vegas' stabilizer), I just use an .avs file with a DirectShowSource("filename.mov") command and open that with VirtualDub. It works fine on Win7.
I assume you are using a "copy" output setting for the video in AviDemux? What output container are you using? Not all codecs are handled well in some output containers. Ditto for the audio, e.g. a direct copy of both audio and video into .AVI loses the audio. Try outputting into .mp4 container. If outputting into .avi, convert the audio to .mp3... it still saves very fast and the audio is retained.

Your method works fine if you also have avisynth installed and like the .avi container.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Plane dude View Post
I think binaryclock meant that you should select 720P as the display format in YouTube (but actually, his link defaults to that because of the hd=1 spec in the URL). But one thing I've never understood about YouTube's 720P and 1080P formats is that I can't find any way to get the viewer to actually show the video in the native size. It seems the only choices are 853x480 for the default page or full screen (which is an image-degrading enlargement for 720P). Has anyone figured that out?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
I think binaryclock meant that you should select 720P as the display format in YouTube (but actually, his link defaults to that because of the hd=1 spec in the URL). But one thing I've never understood about YouTube's 720P and 1080P formats is that I can't find any way to get the viewer to actually show the video in the native size. It seems the only choices are 853x480 for the default page or full screen (which is an image-degrading enlargement for 720P). Has anyone figured that out?
You are right, this is a major fault with YouTube, and I think they do it intentionally because their re-encoding into Flash video format isn't as good as it could be, and making the video smaller makes the video look sharper than it would be at full frame size. This is one main reason I've recommended that people post their videos on Vimeo.com. They do limit you to one HD video each week with a max. file size of 300 MB, but they display at full frame size with good resolution.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
I assume you are using a "copy" output setting for the video in AviDemux? What output container are you using? Not all codecs are handled well in some output containers. Ditto for the audio, e.g. a direct copy of both audio and video into .AVI loses the audio. Try outputting into .mp4 container. If outputting into .avi, convert the audio to .mp3... it still saves very fast and the audio is retained.

Your method works fine if you also have avisynth installed and like the .avi container.
Yes, I was using "copy" for both video and audio and outputting AVI. Setting the audio to MP3 didn't help, but setting the container to MP4 worked. Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:46 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,317 Posts
Oh man I can barely wait to order the #11 with the supposed 72 degree lens, but I just can't be sure it isn't a dud...
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:00 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I was using "copy" for both video and audio and outputting AVI. Setting the audio to MP3 didn't help, but setting the container to MP4 worked. Thanks.
Oops, sorry to confuse you. I meant to say doing direct copy of both audio and video to .AVI loses the video (not audio). The audio works. To recover video, switching to .MP4 works, but only if you re-encode the audio to .mp3... it won't directly copy into an .avi container, but at least that throws up an error message and aborts. Direct copying into an .avi container just proceeds as if nothing is wrong, but then the video is gone... no error messages. Strange, since Vdub manages to do the direct copy into .avi. It must have something to do with each program's internal error checking, or lack thereof.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:02 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Oh man I can barely wait to order the #11 with the supposed 72 degree lens, but I just can't be sure it isn't a dud...
It's the same lens, I believe... just advertised with what the lens specifications give as the AOV. I don't think the video will be any different.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ball View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here.

Like Tom has already posted, please look at the FAQs (Post#3) - these are up-to-date. I don't want to repeat what he has already told you, but I have yet again revised the original post about external power to reflect the latest changes and tried to make things even clearer. You can even download the post as a pdf file if you want a clean, printable version. And, FWIW, I record 10 hour videos all the time - there is absolutely no problem to do this with this camera given the proper firmware, a 32GB card, a "special" cable and a good external USB battery.

This camera supports the max. size possible with an SDHC memory card, which is 32GB. No one has yet tested using SDXC cards, but I'm sure these cards will not work without major firmware modifications to support exFAT. So, like Tom has already posted, 32GB (~10 hours) is the max. size.

And, BTW, the Just Mobile Gum Pro (external battery pack) to which I think you are refering, is excedingly portable (small and compact) considering it's size. Again, look at the original post if you want more information about size, weight, and duration of a few random USB batteries I picked. There are many USB batteries available, the choice is yours - and don't always trust the indicated capacity - take it as a guidline.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:05 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
808HD #11 Sunglasses Cam, Flight Testing A 600+ Watt Falcon Wing

I had a really bad day with this thing but I did manage to finally get it in the air for a short flight test with the new, powerful motor. 600+ watts and somewhere near 90mph, I'm guessing. Shot the flight footage, of course, with my 808HD #11 removed from the plane and clipped to the side of my sunglasses. :-)

Falcon Power Upgrade, 600+ Watts 8-16-11 First Flight Test, Flown By DragonLink (5 min 52 sec)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, MI, Cedar Springs
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Wow I ordered from eletech086 on Wednesday the 17th and check out this. I haven't gotten it yet but it processed through Chicago last night the 21st!
Kamakzie is offline Find More Posts by Kamakzie
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:38 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Wow I ordered from eletech086 on Wednesday the 17th and check out this. I haven't gotten it yet but it processed through Chicago last night the 21st!
Mine took four days to get from Shenzen to Chicago too, that must be the initial U.S. mail receiving point. It shipped on the 15th and arrived in Chicago on the Friday the 19th and I haven't seen anything more on it since then.

Should see it in a couple of days or so I think...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:03 PM
United States, MI, Cedar Springs
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
Mine took four days to get from Shenzen to Chicago too, that must be the initial U.S. mail receiving point. It shipped on the 15th and arrived in Chicago on the Friday the 19th and I haven't seen anything more on it since then.

Should see it in a couple of days or so I think...

Jack
Just processed though the major postal hub near my hometown at 4:33PM. Should have it tomorrow. 6 days from China to here without EMS... IMPRESSIVE! Now lets hope it works right!
Kamakzie is offline Find More Posts by Kamakzie
Closed Thread