Closed Thread
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:28 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
MOV is not a format ... is a container only.

The format used is H.264 .. that is a standard in telecom ... so strange is not supported by Apple .. they are now the telecom giant company ... in a sense

In my case, for see the video on my Samsung TV ... I have to use VLC for convert MOV into AVI ... and then VirtualDubMod for convert it into MKV container ... always keeping the original stream in the changes ... and then finally it can be view ...

VLC crash if I try to ask convert MOV into MKV
VirtualDubMod does not support MOV

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The light and saturation change quite fast and badly on my #11 ... the frame reat loss is 0 and single frame quality is very good ... maybe by firmware update I can improve my cam a bit ... and remove as well the time stamp ... maybe one day I will do it ...
Getting hung up in terminology here Yes, you are correct that .mov is just a container, or wrapper as some call it, but it also has a very well defined framework (atom structure, etc.) and is often commonly referred to as .mov format in general terms. But H.264 is not a really a file format either, it's the video codec (as you already know, but it's also sometimes referred to as a "format", and can be fit in many different wrappers like .mp4, .avi, .mkv, etc. The whole package (audio and video codecs and other file properties as packaged in a specific container really defines what "format" the video is in (Quicktime).

But I have a suggestion for you. If you have not already done so, download the free open source AviDemux video editor. It will import the #11HD .mov file, and direct copy both video and audio streams into an .MKV wrapper, and output the final file VERY fast (maybe 20 seconds for a 500MB file... all with this one program. The output container can be other files type, too... selectable in the the drop down box button labelled "Formats" . An added benefit is you can trim unwanted sections of video before outputting and still do a direct copy without having to re-encode.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 19, 2011 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:35 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland
Joined Jul 2011
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Which of the plethora of cameres on that site did you get?
What was the full file name of the videos on the card?
Post an origional Test video on Vimeo so the gurus can analyse it for (e.g. dropped frames), if you can't do it yourself.
Transfer the test video to computer HD, and view it - some not so young computers struggle to handle USB transfers AND view HD video simultanenously.
Mike
The file names start at PTDC0001.MOV

Camera is - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150621858205

I'm viewing files on a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM - should be ok...

The video just doesn't look quite right for some reason. Will analyse a clip more closely, frame by frame, and see if I can spot anything anomalous. I'll upload a video then post a link.

According to VLC it's losing 16 frames on a 30 second clip. Would that be noticable?

There's a clip from Joespeeder - I think it's the same one that's on this forum - that looks very smooth and he says it's raw footage. I'd be VERY happy if mine looked like this!

Grattan 2011 (11 min 52 sec)
paolo176342 is offline Find More Posts by paolo176342
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I'm off on travel with no PC or Mac but am using the iPad for pretty much everything computing wise. I was able to get the No.11 videos to import and display via the camera connection kit's SD reader and see the preview image and file size before importing them but once in a picture album in the iPad I just see each now as a gray box with .MOV in it,, they wont play in native format..and I assume they need conversion to .mk4 or some other iPad format?

Question...what app do I need installed on the iPad to a.) find and play back these files.. B.) Edit them .. All I can do with them now is mail them off.
Regards, JimS
I would download Handbrake and pick the iPad profile and run with that. Nothing that I know of as native iPad app to convert for you :-(

Simply put, the MP4 container does not like PCM audio which comes with the MOV files being created by #11 camera. I have tested lots of various options of repackaging the videos but nothing will output a valid MP4... re-encoding is your best bet right now.

EDIT: To add, the MP4 standard which is part of MPEG-4 Part 14 definition, states that only Advanced Audio Codec (AAC) compressed audio streams are supported or allowed. I am assuming the iPad is adhering to this strictly. Using Handbrake or Super are great options. Each give lots of options for tuning the final to just the right specs.

Also remember the iPad 1 prefers a maximum video width of 1024px not 1280... YMMV
Manny Gonzalez is offline Find More Posts by Manny Gonzalez
Last edited by Manny Gonzalez; Jul 19, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo176342 View Post
The file names start at PTDC0001.MOV

Camera is - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150621858205

I'm viewing files on a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM - should be ok...

The video just doesn't look quite right for some reason. Will analyse a clip more closely, frame by frame, and see if I can spot anything anomalous. I'll upload a video then post a link.

According to VLC it's losing 16 frames on a 30 second clip. Would that be noticable?

There's a clip from Joespeeder - I think it's the same one that's on this forum - that looks very smooth and he says it's raw footage. I'd be VERY happy if mine looked like this!
What kind of card are you using? I would use a MINIMUM of a Class 6 but would prefer if you tried a Class 10

If you have a real #11, which outputs AVC/PCM 1280x720 H.264 videos in .MOV container, you should have zero frame loss... even with the highest motion subject, up close, well lit, I have not hit a scene the camera can't faithfully record at 7Mb/s given a fast enough card.

Do you have MediaInfo installed? Please do so and then post the info from your movie here.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland
Joined Jul 2011
171 Posts
Class 10 Kingson 8GB. Tested using H2testw 1.4 but it's saying it's writing at a max of about 6mbit/s using a generic USB reader - less when testing it in the camera.

Video -
h264Motion JPEG A, 1280 x 720, Millions
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Mono, 32.000 kHz
data rate - 7094.19 kbits/s
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:52 PM
USA, OH, Marysville
Joined May 2010
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
FWIW, the developer has given me two additional eBay sellers for his #11 HD cameras. So the shopping list has grown to 10 sellers in my Post #2.

Some of their ads show their optional accessories you can add to an order. Prices appear to be about the same to slightly higher on some packages, but these can change without notice. These are also established sellers with similar high approval ratings (over 99%).
I haven't seen post #2 for a while which been added?
jmdlcar is offline Find More Posts by jmdlcar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Binding VLToys V212 Quadcopter
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:01 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Interesting... the conversion frame size (3:2 aspect ratio) you show would either crop or distort (horizontally compress) the native video. Is this needed to the fit the iPAd screen? I thought a state-of-the-art techie device like the iPAd would have an HD 16:9 aspect ratio display. But maybe not, since it's also strange that the iPod won't display Apple's own innovation .MOV video format.
That's just Arcsoft suggestion, no idea why. The 1280x720 aspect ratio is also selectable by dropdown, but I guess that will play letterboxed on an iPad.

Maybe one day we'll upload and edit "on the cloud" with these devices in the future
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar View Post
I haven't seen post #2 for a while which been added?
The one at the extreme right end of each line are new to the list.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
whats with the price difference? same seller, seems to be the same product:

$39
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Camera-Vedio-...item4aaabd263d

$28:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-DV-Camera-Ved...item33691d3020
I think that is just an ebay seller trick. They will get some buyers who will pay the $39 even though it is exactly the same product as the one at $28

Also some sellers price items way higher than shop prices. "Buyer beware"

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:03 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,406 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, the developer has given me two additional eBay sellers for his #11 HD cameras. So the shopping list has grown to 10 sellers in my Post #2.

Some of their ads show their optional accessories you can add to an order. Prices appear to be about the same to slightly higher on some packages, but these can change without notice. These are also established sellers with similar high approval ratings (over 99%).
Yes Tom it happen very often that a seller on ebay is selling under 2 different names
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:05 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
whats with the price difference? same seller, seems to be the same product:

$39
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Camera-Vedio-...item4aaabd263d

$28:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-DV-Camera-Ved...item33691d3020
Quote:
I think that is just an ebay seller trick. They will get some buyers who will pay the $39 even though it is exactly the same product as the one at $28

Also some sellers price items way higher than shop prices. "Buyer beware"

Kev
Same price (actually a penny cheaper)...always check the shipping!
MalibuAce is offline Find More Posts by MalibuAce
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:38 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Guys, has anyone mounted this cam high on a tail fin?

I want to get it up there for a wide angle of the HK Fox 2.32 mtr which I have seen can give a wing tip to wing tip view.

Of course it's going to have to be fitted at right angles to the fin - tricky

If you have, do you have a pic available?

Kev
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
That's just Arcsoft suggestion, no idea why. The 1280x720 aspect ratio is also selectable by dropdown, but I guess that will play letterboxed on an iPad.

Maybe one day we'll upload and edit "on the cloud" with these devices in the future
Hey Victapilot - where's your old avatar gone?
Used to like seeing that little ole Aussie Victa there

Kev
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:59 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
my cam in webcam mode work in HD resolution! not in VGA.
degree8th is offline Find More Posts by degree8th
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
364 Posts
I have mounted on the top of the vertical stab but no picture. I use a pvc L bracket (gutter pipe downspout) velcroed to the stab and the cam, with a stick glued as a brace forming a triangle. I got quite a bit of jello but it was on a gas plane.
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degree8th View Post
my cam in webcam mode work in HD resolution! not in VGA.
That change came with the Rel2 firmware. But it's not very useful because of the extreme latency and motion drag. Mine will freeze the video for many seconds in that mode. It can be useful for focusing the camera maybe.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 20, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
Joined Jul 2011
7 Posts
Hello everybody,
thanks a lot for the FAQ! It was really helpful, especially because this thread is soooo long!
I'm not a native speaker, so I've got two more questions and would really appreciate a quick comment from you guys:

1)
I want to use the camera with the "Just Mobile Gum Pro" Battery Pack (I can borrow it from my brother) to increase the recording time.
In the Guide to Power Connectors it says "you can't buy the special USB-Male to USB-mini cable required for simultaneous recording and charging", but further down there's this picture and the text says "You get everything shown on the picture. The short USB A to mini cable is the "special" cable."
Can I use the "special" cable from this set to connect the Just Mobile Gum Pro to the #11 HD cam in order to record for > 4hours?

2)
Then in the firmware section it says the 4GB version has a bug that causes it to "not restart a video after the 4GB S/S function".
Does this mean, it records only one 4GB file and then stops recording? In this case it would be better to get a cam with the 50minute firmware and update to the 4GB once it's fixed, right?

Thanks in advance!
C0MPLETi0N is offline Find More Posts by C0MPLETi0N
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Jumbo Camera Cases

Several have asked about how to open the Jumbo camera cases. First of all, it's not recommended by the developer that you do this, and like any other consumer product, if you modify or break something in the process, you are responsible for any damage to the camera. Do not expect that it will be replaced under warranty. That said, many of us want to open the case to tweak the lens focus or just have a look around.

There are three different Jumbo case configurations as shown in the attached picture with the original small #11 key chain version.

One of them, circled in red, is a two piece case held together with three screws (one hidden under the logo button). Opening that one is easy by removing the screws and lifting off the top piece. The picture shows both top and bottom views of that case.

Another case, circled in yellow, is a three piece design with locking tabs, not screws, holding the case together. The attached composite photo shows the sequence of steps for opening that case using a thin flat tool that can release the catches to slightly separate the top and bottom pieces, starting near the memory card slot. Be careful you do not insert a tool INTO the memory card holder itself... you can easily damage it. A metal tool is not recommended for this task. Once the top/bottom pieces are slightly separated, the third end piece can be released from it's holding tabs, and the top/bottom pieces can befully separated. Note that the last picture in the composite photo shows the fully opened case, but it's inverted compared to the preceding step pictures (i.e. the card slot is on the top in that picture). I do not have this camera design and have not done this procedure. So all I know about it is shown in the composite picture.

The third case design (the all gray one showing top/bottom views in the picture) is also a two-piece case but with no screws, and is opened similar to the one above, skipping the steps for removing the end piece. The second composite picture shows this.

Good luck!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 26, 2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added pictures for third case
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0MPLETi0N View Post
Hello everybody,
thanks a lot for the FAQ! It was really helpful, especially because this thread is soooo long!
I'm not a native speaker, so I've got two more questions and would really appreciate a quick comment from you guys:

1)
I want to use the camera with the "Just Mobile Gum Pro" Battery Pack (I can borrow it from my brother) to increase the recording time.
In the Guide to Power Connectors it says "you can't buy the special USB-Male to USB-mini cable required for simultaneous recording and charging", but further down there's this picture and the text says "You get everything shown on the picture. The short USB A to mini cable is the "special" cable."
Can I use the "special" cable from this set to connect the Just Mobile Gum Pro to the #11 HD cam in order to record for > 4hours?

2)
Then in the firmware section it says the 4GB version has a bug that causes it to "not restart a video after the 4GB S/S function".
Does this mean, it records only one 4GB file and then stops recording? In this case it would be better to get a cam with the 50minute firmware and update to the 4GB once it's fixed, right?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Completion, welcome to the thread.

Does the "Just Mobile Gum Pro" battery pack have a standard 5V "USB A" socket that will accept the large plug on the small cable? If so, it should work without modification, but you'd have to buy the #11 external power pack to get the special cable to begin with, so it may be a moot point except for recording time. I don't know the battery capacity in the power pack you refer to either, so the recording time from it will vary proportionally if it has a different mAh capacity from the #11 external battery pack.

You are correct about the firmware. The difference in the number of individual video clips you would get on a long recording sequence with the 50 min. firmware vs the Continuous firmware (when the bug is fixed) would only be a few, however, so you may not even need or want to flash in the Continuous firmware when the bug is fixed (see my recent post about ths).
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 20, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
There are three different Jumbo case configurations as shown in the attached picture with the original small #11 key chain version.

One of them, circled in red
Another case, circled in yellow
The third case design (the all gray one in the picture)
Where to find the pictures? I think I have the 'another case, circled in yellow' but can't find a picture with red or yellow circles. furthermore my problem is opening the top and bottom black parts, not the end cap, that's removable without any tools.

Open end cap Jumbo #11.wmv (0 min 21 sec)
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Last edited by wfvn; Jul 20, 2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: video added
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Hello Completion, welcome to the thread.

Does the "Just Mobile Gum Pro" battery pack have a standard 5V "USB A" socket that will accept the large plug on the small cable? If so, it should work without modification, but you'd have to buy the #11 external power pack to get the special cable to begin with, so it may be a moot point except for recording time. I don't know the battery capacity in the power pack you refer to either, so the recording time from it will vary proportionally if it has a different mAh capacity from the #11 external battery pack.
Hello Tom Frank,
thanks for the fast reply!

Regarding the power pack: it's the one Isoprop recommends in the Guide!

Here are some specs:
Input (Mini USB): 5VDC, 500mA Min
Output (USB Type A Port): 5VDC, 1000mA
Capacity: 4.400mAh
(I think this should work)

You're right about the battery pack from the #11 set - maybe one of the sellers can include the cable without the battery pack. On the other hand: the set costs only ~10-15€ more with the external power pack and the cable. If I tried to solder, I'd need to learn it first and get a soldering gun, solder and some spare USB cables

Also thanks for answering the second question!

Cheers!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
Where to find the pictures? I think I have the 'another case, circled in yellow' but can't find a picture with red or yellow circles. furthermore my problem is opening the top and bottom black parts, not the end cap, that's removable without any tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR4SlGB4zcw
Sorry, I selected the pictures for upload, but must have forgotten to click the upload button! I have edited my post with the pictures. You have shown an interesting alternative to getting the end cap off!.. I read the Jumbo case(s) are quite flexible. Hopefully the pictures will show you the key to separating the top/bottom case halves for the one you have.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:43 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
I have mounted on the top of the vertical stab but no picture. I use a pvc L bracket (gutter pipe downspout) velcroed to the stab and the cam, with a stick glued as a brace forming a triangle. I got quite a bit of jello but it was on a gas plane.
Good idea! Can you explain jello for me?

Kev
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:20 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Tested the charge cable on a long drive today and completely filled an 8gb card on both cameras, including the one with the weak battery.

Now to piece together a time lapse...
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
There are different jumbo cases. Mine is almost a perfect rectangle, not skinnier on one end, and it has a chrome bar for attaching a keychain (circled red in Tom's photo above). This case is not dinky at all. It also is held together with 3 screws in the back, two on the chrome bar end and one near the opposite end closer to the lens. Came with a nifty bmw logo sticker, which I stuck on my engine cowl. Now have a diesel sailplane. Can run on chicken fat.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
There are different jumbo cases. Mine is almost a perfect rectangle, not skinnier on one end, and it has a chrome bar for attaching a keychain (circled red in Tom's photo above). This case is not dinky at all. It also is held together with 3 screws in the back, two on the chrome bar end and one near the opposite end closer to the lens. Came with a nifty bmw logo sticker, which I stuck on my engine cowl. Now have a diesel sailplane. Can run on chicken fat.
That's the one I will have soon (being shipped right now). What is the total weight of that one.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:54 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
That's the one I will have soon (being shipped right now. What it the total weight of that one.
0.9 ounce with card, 1 ounce with velcro. I bet the case is nearly 25% of the weight. The key loop and the phony key are certainly useless, could be removed. The buttons are ultra sensitive......constanly bumping them on with the lightest touch. Considering cosmetic surgury not so much for weight but for better embedding out of the airflow. Probably later than sooner though, they are really unnoticable in terms of flight characteristics on the glider wings.

Took nearly 3 weeks to come in as I recall.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:55 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Good idea! Can you explain jello for me?

Kev
"Jello" is the effect you get when there is a lot of vibration. It's kind of a wavy effect. Imagine looking through Jello while shaking it. I tried to find a video I had with jello but it seems like I deleted those sections or deleted the video all together. Maybe someone can direct you to a jello video. I know there some in the non HD key cam thread somewhere.
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:20 PM
USA, OH, Marysville
Joined May 2010
373 Posts
The small end of the usb cable for the #11 v2, #11 v3 and jumbo charging cable are the pin out the same or not?
jmdlcar is offline Find More Posts by jmdlcar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Binding VLToys V212 Quadcopter
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:06 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar View Post
The small end of the usb cable for the #11 v2, #11 v3 and jumbo charging cable are the pin out the same or not?
The cameras you mention are functionally identical as mentioned in the FAQs, so their plugs are all the same as are their charging/file transfer USB cables. The car charger/power cables that come with these cameras are also identical to each other, but the pinouts on those mini USB plugs have the special termination as noted in the FAQs.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
duplicate.... deleted
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:25 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Quote:
"Jello" is the effect you get when there is a lot of vibration. It's kind of a wavy effect. Imagine looking through Jello while shaking it. I tried to find a video I had with jello but it seems like I deleted those sections or deleted the video all together. Maybe someone can direct you to a jello video. I know there some in the non HD key cam thread somewhere.
Aha. Know what you mean now. Thanks

Kev
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:43 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Wide angle lens

Fellas, those of us that have the wide angle lens ala http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-de...-cameras-39814

What is the go as far as that lens holding on?
It's only held by magnetic force

Has anyone done anything special here or do you just expoxy both the mounting ring & lens to the camera?

Kev
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:24 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOPRO View Post
Here you go Tom Frank. This is one of mine I did some time ago. Would this be what you saw in reference to the pilots head turning? A lot of times we get some kids that show interest and like to watch us fly. They get a kick out of the Pilot's head turning when I show them before flying.
Here is how I made the videos with the pilot's head turning
I missed this post when first posted, but yes, that looks very familiar! Thanks for posting the nicely edited flight video and the "how to" video. Well done!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:02 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Fellas, those of us that have the wide angle lens ala http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-de...-cameras-39814

Has anyone done anything special here or do you just expoxy both the mounting ring & lens to the camera?

Kev
IMHO, instead of using thin brim of the original magnetic ring, you can diy using tin material such as from evaporated milk tin. This will broaden the area of magnetic contact for stronger hold.
starhubber is offline Find More Posts by starhubber
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:20 AM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starhubber View Post
IMHO, instead of using thin brim of the original magnetic ring, you can diy using tin material such as from evaporated milk tin. This will broaden the area of magnetic contact for stronger hold.
Nice

What kind of material is the lens itself? Plastic or glass?
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:21 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Thanks Starhubber. Those pics make it very clear
Yep, that should give you extra pull, but has the lens ever moved after say a bumpy landing?

BTW where did you get that neat looking mount?

Kev
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:40 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
The lens is made of glass. I cannot confirm whether this method suits a bumpy landing of rcplane. But what I have tried was to try sticking the lens on the tin, shake it hard, and it did not fall off. Then I start to use scissor to cut the thin tin to shape. The only problem is my lousy double side tape is not sticky enough. At least the next version, widening the tin for glueing purpose might be good.

And the mounting was from the cheap clone AEE MD80 cam bracket
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:46 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
#11 Jumbo

Just received 3 #11 Jumbo cameras from eletoponline. Average record battery life 90 minutes. No auto shutoff if not taking video. Date and time code present. Video saved in about 45-50 minute chunks. Saves last file when battery gives out... with beeping at end. Plan to be using at the Mission Bay pond... much smoother performance (ie higher frame rate) than Sunglasses camera. I did enlarge LED hole by drilling out with #51 drill for better visibility.
kencamp is offline Find More Posts by kencamp
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
#11 Jumbo [BMW] version has three screws, not two... the third one is under the logo (which I never received so I have a recession on the case ready for it )
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:44 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,926 Posts
My plane has a t-tail so the camera was easy to mount back there. However, most sailplanes have longer wingspans than fuses, so you are correct in assuming you'll need a wide angle lens. This vid show how little of the wingspan I was able to capture ...

tn

Quote:
Guys, has anyone mounted this cam high on a tail fin?

I want to get it up there for a wide angle of the HK Fox 2.32 mtr which I have seen can give a wing tip to wing tip view.

Of course it's going to have to be fitted at right angles to the fin - tricky

If you have, do you have a pic available?

Kev
http://www.youtube.com/v/x5rVQdszqxI...</param><param
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0MPLETi0N View Post
Hello Tom Frank,
thanks for the fast reply!

Regarding the power pack: it's the one Isoprop recommends in the Guide!

Here are some specs:
Input (Mini USB): 5VDC, 500mA Min
Output (USB Type A Port): 5VDC, 1000mA
Capacity: 4.400mAh
(I think this should work)

You're right about the battery pack from the #11 set - maybe one of the sellers can include the cable without the battery pack. On the other hand: the set costs only ~10-15€ more with the external power pack and the cable. If I tried to solder, I'd need to learn it first and get a soldering gun, solder and some spare USB cables

Also thanks for answering the second question!

Cheers!
Tom has already answered your questions, but I would like to repeat the statement in my guide that the Just Mobile Gum Pro is an absolutely super power pack if you want long recording times. There is plenty of power for 10 hours continuous recording (max. capacity with a 32GB card). I recharge mine after it's 10 hours use, but am sure there is plenty of power remaining for a few more hours! It is simple, and has a standard USB Type A socket for powering the devices (camera).

The battery comes with a short USB Type A / Mini-USB cable for charging with the computer. Rather than charging with my computer, I use a Motorola USB charger - but any standard USB mains charger will work.

The problem is, like you have noted, the special cable. It may be worth while to ask the seller if he will sell you this cable separately.
Otherwise, if you can't solder, then your only possibility is to either take the special cable from the camera's emergency battery charger (if you have it) or the cable from the car charger. You need to cut this cable as far away from the mini-USB plug as possible.
Now you need a standard USB Type A cable. Cut the cable in half and discard the end not required. Strip the cables and splice them together, keeping black-to-black and red-to-red. Insulate the joints with insulating tape. Now you have made your own special cable! - Not very professional, but it should be OK as long as you don't tug at the joint.

Another question you asked earlier:
Can I use the "special" cable from this set to connect the Just Mobile Gum Pro to the #11 HD cam in order to record for > 4hours?.
Yes.

BTW, thank you for reading the FAQs so well before asking your questions. I'll adjust my original posting accordingly as soon as I have a spare moment.

The Just Mobile Gum Pro Instruction manual
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Gonzalez View Post
#11 Jumbo [BMW] version has three screws, not two... the third one is under the logo (which I never received so I have a recession on the case ready for it )
Aha!... thanks for that tip!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:55 PM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
351 Posts
Quote:

Kev
Ive just bought one myself, and wanted to know if you need to attatch the magnetic ring spacers to the lens or can you just glue the lens straight onto the camera?
sniper1 is online now Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The problem is, like you have noted, the special cable. It may be worth while to ask the seller if he will sell you this cable separately.
Otherwise, if you can't solder, then your only possibility is to either take the special cable from the camera's emergency battery charger (if you have it) or the cable from the car charger. You need to cut this cable as far away from the mini-USB plug as possible.
Now you need a standard USB Type A cable. Cut the cable in half and discard the end not required. Strip the cables and splice them together, keeping black-to-black and red-to-red. Insulate the joints with insulating tape. Now you have made your own special cable! - Not very professional, but it should be OK as long as you don't tug at the joint.
Another way to adapt the special plug after cutting it off is to use simple two-connector mating plugs. One plug on the cable (with special mini USB plug) and a mating plug on the severed car (or emergency charger) cable portion AND the external battery pack. That way the car charger can still be used for "unlimited" power when in the car, and the external battery pack will plug right in when away from the car. I used mini-Deans plugs, but others (e.g. the small mono audio/power plug from the emergency charger) work equally well. The main thing is to keep the polarity correct and avoid a plug on the power source cable that could accidentally short on a metal object.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
Ive just bought one myself, and wanted to know if you need to attatch the magnetic ring spacers to the lens or can you just glue the lens straight onto the camera?
If you glue the lens, you won't be able to dismantle the camera case for change of battery etc. If you like stick on lens, can use jelly lens but they are not giving good picture clarity.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:27 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
About the special cable for continuous recording, if you do not wish to diy, it is available for sale from #11 cam sellers I supposed. Diana was able to sell me separately without the external usb charger.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,621 Posts
Quote:
About the special cable for continuous recording, if you do not wish to diy, it is available for sale from #11 cam sellers I supposed. Diana was able to sell me separately without the external usb charger.
That's a great tip . Should be helpful for a lot of people.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Tom has already answered your questions, but I would like to repeat the statement in my guide that the Just Mobile Gum Pro is an absolutely super power pack if you want long recording times. There is plenty of power for 10 hours continuous recording (max. capacity with a 32GB card). I recharge mine after it's 10 hours use, but am sure there is plenty of power remaining for a few more hours! It is simple, and has a standard USB Type A socket for powering the devices (camera).
Yes, heard a lot of good things about this pack. And 10 hours is more than enough!

Quote:
Now you need a standard USB Type A cable. Cut the cable in half and discard the end not required. Strip the cables and splice them together, keeping black-to-black and red-to-red. Insulate the joints with insulating tape. Now you have made your own special cable! - Not very professional, but it should be OK as long as you don't tug at the joint.[…]
Thanks a ton for this detailed and helpful reply! That's exactly what I hoped to find in your guide. Also thanks for uploading the manual

Quote:
Another way to adapt the special plug after cutting it off is to use simple two-connector mating plugs. […]
Good idea! With this solution the connection would also be quite sturdy.

Quote:
That's great news! Cheers!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:27 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Here is a time lapse of a road trip made with the #11 Jumbo keycam and car charger, MP4cam2AVI (free), and vdub (free) and realplayer (to clip). it took 7 separate files because MP4cam2avi will not handle file sizes larger than 2048mb. Using Vdub I increased frame rates to 300fps and decimated to every 10th frame, for each of the 7 files. Planned to recombine with MP4cam2AVI but they were still a little large, so had to go back to Vdub and increase to 60 fps and decimate every other frame for each file. Then combined the 7 files into one with MP4cam2AVI. Clipped out the beginning and end to maintain anonymity. Looks better when downloaded and played from a disk rather than on the net. It ended up at about 1 second per minute.

I also found that installing the free version of Real Player adds a feature to download the raw file from most internet video servers.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 22, 2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Sorry...had the programs completely reversed in the process description.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:50 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
102 Posts
Quote:
Maybe someone can direct you to a jello video.
Here's my 808 #11 getting a jello workout...

Phoenix 2000 climbing (1 min 36 sec)
Kerosene-AU is offline Find More Posts by Kerosene-AU
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:10 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
How is that mounted? Maybe using some of that thick gooey two sided tape, or velcro, would dampen the vibes. This must be worse on a stiff plane, because my flexy foamie doesn't do this so much.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:09 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
That's not bad jello, mostly rear end vibration. With bad jello you get waves in the background scene as well. I have some real stinkers on YouTube.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:03 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Tom has already answered your questions, but I would like to repeat the statement in my guide that the Just Mobile Gum Pro is an absolutely super power pack if you want long recording times. SNIP
How much does this weigh?
Think this could this be modified run two cams simultaneously?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,621 Posts
Quote:
How much does this weigh?
Think this could this be modified run two cams simultaneously?
The weight is in the guide
122g or 4.3oz

I have also considered this myself, but never got around to trying it. I was thinking along the lines of a "split" cable. One standard USB type A plug at one end, and two special mini USB plugs at the other ends. I don't see why this shouldn't work. At present I'm very, very short of time, but if no one beats me to it, I'll try this sometime next week. In the meantime I've got a whole bunch of these plugs waiting to be soldered...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:14 AM
-plancks only-
The Netherlands, UT, Benschop
Joined Oct 2001
1,082 Posts
Hi,

Without havind red the whole thread, did someone figure out if its possible to extract live/streaming video from this cam ? (so like you can use it in fpv)

Regards,

Franck
Franck is offline Find More Posts by Franck
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Hi,

Without havind red the whole thread, did someone figure out if its possible to extract live/streaming video from this cam ? (so like you can use it in fpv)

Regards,

Franck
It does have a webcam mode, and I can attest that it works, but not sure how you would connect that to your fpv gear.
I was thinking of using the webcam mode to store videos on a laptop while driving, but am not sure it is hd quality and also not sure how one records a stream to the hard drive. Seems like it should be doable.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:18 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Tom,
Not sure if the new fw has other mods, but the color seems better to me....less shifty.
My wing mount was a bit low today so the out of focus area at the bottom is larger than it should be, but I'm really impressed with the quality of these cameras.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37RxavzBR6w

Thanks again for all you do.
JS

What do you use to get the GPS data superimposed on your #11 video? It works great, and might be good for playback of speed runs

I have a GPS logger, but have not found a program that plays back the GPX files like that.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
JS

What do you use to get the GPS data superimposed on your #11 video? It works great, and might be good for playback of speed runs

I have a GPS logger, but have not found a program that plays back the GPX files like that.

Thanks!
I'm using dashware, but having issues with it crashing. Tech support is working to fix the problem. I thought it might be that the program has issues with the codec of the keycams, however it still has problems after I convert to avi or jp4.
It may also be a conflict within my particular system because I don't see a lot of complaints on their help threads.
When it works, it adds a lot to an action video. You can also build custom gauges. For example I took an altitude "tape" gauge and turned it into a variometer to track thermal action. Had some help on that from another user who had already designed an analog variometer gauge. You can set up a custom formula using, in this instance altitude/time, which is then displayed on a gauge.

Once you get the gps data syncronized with the video, you export to an mp4 file and the program embeds the gauges into the video. The output quality is very good in my opinion.

See here for more info on the logger and Dashware.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 23, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
JS - thanks! It looks great, can't wait to test it!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:06 PM
-plancks only-
The Netherlands, UT, Benschop
Joined Oct 2001
1,082 Posts
Quote:
It does have a webcam mode, and I can attest that it works, but not sure how you would connect that to your fpv gear.
I was thinking of using the webcam mode to store videos on a laptop while driving, but am not sure it is hd quality and also not sure how one records a stream to the hard drive. Seems like it should be doable.
HI Jumpy,

Got through a zillion webpages today to get myself updated. It might be best to wait until the #12 or #13 cam's come out on a steady bases , they should have composite out so it seems. As far as my #3 cam concerns, it has Composite out on the processor (measured with my scope) , next days I will try to fix it with a cable so it will connect to my TX.
Franck is offline Find More Posts by Franck
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
HI Jumpy,

Got through a zillion webpages today to get myself updated. It might be best to wait until the #12 or #13 cam's come out on a steady bases , they should have composite out so it seems. As far as my #3 cam concerns, it has Composite out on the processor (measured with my scope) , next days I will try to fix it with a cable so it will connect to my TX.
The video processor in the #11 is a Novatek NT96632BG. Maybe you can find a spec sheet on it. I think it has video out, but this chip has no clear direct access to the pinouts as you may already have noticed.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
The web cam mode was VGA resolution (640x480) with Rel1 firmware, but the Rel2 firmware has added 1280x720 resolution to the web cam mode. It will record in 1280x720 frame size at 30 fps in webcam mode, but it uses MJPEG video codec rather than H.264, so the video bit rate is very high to maintain HD quality. I get 20,000 to 30,000 kbps, which likely accounts for the slow and intermittant display on my PC while recording. The recorded video, however, looks normal and smooth.

Vdub has a very good video capture mode. You can also use the small video capture utilities, like Amcap. You need to set the capture file name and location before capturing, but then just start the capture and the file will be created and recorded while it is displayed on the computer window.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:45 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
The web cam mode was VGA resolution (640x480) with Rel1 firmware, but the Rel2 firmware has added 1280x720 resolution to the web cam mode. It will record in 1280x720 frame size at 30 fps in webcam mode, but it uses MJPEG video codec rather than H.264, so the video bit rate is very high to maintain HD quality. I get 20,000 to 30,000 kbps, which likely accounts for the slow and intermittant display on my PC while recording. The recorded video, however, looks normal and smooth.

Vdub has a very good video capture mode. You can also use the small video capture utilities, like Amcap. You need to set the capture file name and location before capturing, but then just start the capture and the file will be created and recorded while it is displayed on the computer window.
Ahhhh....that's very interesting indeed. I noticed the skip in webcam too, but did not know how to save the output. Thanks for the info, will have to experiment with that.

So it could be saved to the laptop, and a macro could be set up to stop and restart to maintain file size. Cool.

It seems like the fpv folks could use that output too. It would take some strong processing power on the plane, and lots of bandwidth to transmit live. If you have that kind of cash laying around you probably would have high powered video equipment too, with pan, zoom etc.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 23, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Ahhhh....that's very interesting indeed. I noticed the skip in webcam too, but did not know how to save the output. Thanks for the info, will have to experiment with that.

So it could be saved to the laptop, and a macro could be set up to stop and restart to maintain file size. Cool.

It seems like the fpv folks could use that output too. It would take some strong processing power on the plane, and lots of bandwidth to transmit live. If you have that kind of cash laying around you probably would have high powered video equipment too, with pan, zoom etc.
You can set the capture file to stop recording in Vdub when user set thresholds for time, file size, free disk space, or dropped frame rate are exceeded, but it does not restart automatically. It prompts you to save the file manually, and can be toggled to automatically increment the saved file name, though. MANY user toggles in the Vdub capture mode. It can over lay a time stamp, too, I think.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
United States, NJ, North Caldwell
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Received my 808 #11 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefandGravy View Post
Ordered a 808 #11from hxelepro360 today. Lets see how long it takes.
Received it today. Only 12 days from china, not bad
BeefandGravy is offline Find More Posts by BeefandGravy
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
Yellow light stays on - can't record

I tried searching for a solution but it seems like similar problems means I'm dead.

The plane this camera was on crashed. I pushed the shutter to stop the video and the yellow light came on. No video file shows on the card however. I turned the camera back on and the yellow light comes on and does NOT blink... Pressing the shutter button does nothing. I can turn the camera off with the power button. Hitting reset doesn't help. Using a different card doesn't help.

Should I be looking for a new camera, or is there something I can do? Thanks.

Also, to whoever owns this thread - the organization of the first few posts is phenominal. What a useful thread - thank you!!!
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:09 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
I tried searching for a solution but it seems like similar problems means I'm dead.

The plane this camera was on crashed. I pushed the shutter to stop the video and the yellow light came on. No video file shows on the card however. I turned the camera back on and the yellow light comes on and does NOT blink... Pressing the shutter button does nothing. I can turn the camera off with the power button. Hitting reset doesn't help. Using a different card doesn't help.

Should I be looking for a new camera, or is there something I can do? Thanks.

Also, to whoever owns this thread - the organization of the first few posts is phenominal. What a useful thread - thank you!!!
Did you try connecting the camera to the PC USB port and flashing in the firmware again. Info on this in the FAQs links in post #3.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:57 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,302 Posts
You naughty boy, undertaking like that on the freeway
Nice vid. I liked the way that the smallest rise in the road gave the impression of huge air time.
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Thought I'd show some helicopter sightseeing. Hard-mounted to the battery on my Mini Protos (450 size). The heli sure can get small at times, lol.

Ghettobird take 3.avi (1 min 27 sec)

Ghettobird which way is level.avi (1 min 25 sec)

Mr Rabbits neighborhood.avi (2 min 46 sec)
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
Quote:
Did you try connecting the camera to the PC USB port and flashing in the firmware again. Info on this in the FAQs links in post #3.
Tom,

I haven't - I'll try that later today hopefully and report back.

Thanks! Keep up the great work on this thread.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Hi guys,

I installed my cam under the fuse of my FMS T-28, as you can see on this clip the sound of the wind is too loud and the video is wavy.
For the sound I plan on masking the small hole with tape, will that be sufficient to decrease the wind noise without affecting the motor noise?
As for the wavy picture, do you have a clue?

Untitled (3 min 23 sec)

Oops, you won't hear the sound of the wind because I replace it with a song.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
Hi guys,

I installed my cam under the fuse of my FMS T-28, as you can see on this clip the sound of the wind is too loud and the video is wavy.
For the sound I plan on masking the small hole with tape, will that be sufficient to decrease the wind noise without affecting the motor noise?

http://vimeo.com/26827943

The waviness is cause by the camera vibrating. First step to minimize is to balance your prop and make sure your motor shaft is not bent. Then mount the camera in a way that it is held firmly to a portion of the plane that does not vibrate. Usually the plane fuselage is a good place. But the camera connection must be fairly rigid. I normally just put a piece of bubble wrap padding under the camera, then wrap with tape around the fuselage to secure it. Then find a throttle position during flight that results in the least amount of camera vibration.

The song sounds like it has been badly "messed up" during the re-encoding that takes place after you upload it. Or maybe that's what it's supposed to sound like? If you are doing post editing, you can also diminish or completely mute the video wind noise before uploading.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
12 Posts
I done some filming today but ended up with 5 video files that wont play. Any ideas if they can be recovered at all ?
Exoon is offline Find More Posts by Exoon
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoon View Post
I done some filming today but ended up with 5 video files that wont play. Any ideas if they can be recovered at all ?
See FAQ's link in Post #3
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:47 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
Hi guys,

http://vimeo.com/26827943

Now that's a good example of jello.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Some foam over the mic will help reduce the wind noise, but still allow the motor sound

For a video that you would like others to watch, it is best to decide "this will be a video flight" which means it should look much the same as if you had shot it as a passenger in a full size aircraft. No twitching all over the sky.
As you fly you need to imagine that you are the person in the lounge chair watching, expecting a nice smooth revelation of the scene you are flying over

If you want good video you should "fly it for video"

bonne réussite

Hey, how about that? An Aussie wins the Tour de France

Kev
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Disassembling 808 # 11 and 828 Jumbo (BMW). Shot with a Veho Muvi HD Action Cam

Poor lighting thanks to a dying fluorescent tube in my kitchen.

808 No 11 828 Jumbo Disassemble (8 min 38 sec)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:30 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Some foam over the mic will help reduce the wind noise, but still allow the motor sound

For a video that you would like others to watch, it is best to decide "this will be a video flight" which means it should look much the same as if you had shot it as a passenger in a full size aircraft. No twitching all over the sky.
As you fly you need to imagine that you are the person in the lounge chair watching, expecting a nice smooth revelation of the scene you are flying over

If you want good video you should "fly it for video"

bonne réussite

Hey, how about that? An Aussie wins the Tour de France

Kev
Yeah, how about Cadel?! He was helped out by George Hincappie from these parts!

That Dashware program seems buggy - OT for here, but I can't get any video to load. The GPS files load fine. Oh well....
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:44 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
That Dashware program seems buggy - OT for here, but I can't get any video to load. The GPS files load fine. Oh well....
I was wondering if it was just my machine. Started doing this after a recent "upgrade". Worked fine before. I hope they get the bugs out because I like what it does when it works.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:07 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Yeah - the graphics are great. Love those analog instruments. I read the recent posts on the support pages, seems lots of folks get the unsupported media error.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:40 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Flying low, fast, and pretty much blind with my FPV falcon.... Hd view is via the 808HD #11. Enjoy!

Xen EPO Falcon FPV 7-19-11: Video Failure Crash Landing Flown With DragonLink! (6 min 19 sec)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:01 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi all, iv reiceved my camera over the weekend and have had fun mounting on my K8 glider, i will post the link once it's on you tube.

One question i have - im a bit confussed with all the 4 different firmware versions i have.

Basically i just want continious recording, with the exposure fix.
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:10 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
Hi all, iv reiceved my camera over the weekend and have had fun mounting on my K8 glider, i will post the link once it's on you tube.

One question i have - im a bit confussed with all the 4 different firmware versions i have.

Basically i just want continious recording, with the exposure fix.
Should already be on your camera, as I'm almost certain all the cams now ship with the latest firmware

Kev
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:49 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Here's a possible contender as an extended power supply
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110658005206

I've just ordered one for my son who is going to use the cam on a New Zealand skiing trip soon (helmet cam).

I don't think the solar power bit is all that important but 2600MaH is certainly a boost eh?
Don't know what weight it is

Kev

Here is a US supplier http://www.dinodirect.com/2600mAh-So...+Phone+MP3+Mp4

Weight is 130g
Last edited by Berkie; Jul 25, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,621 Posts
Quote:

I've just ordered one for my son who is going to use the cam on a New Zealand skiing trip soon (helmet cam).

I don't think the solar power bit is all that important but 2600MaH is certainly a boost eh?

Kev

Weight is 130g
I don't want to push any model here, but the Gum Pro is 8 grams lighter and has 1800mAh more battery capacity (total 4400mAh) than this model.

However, if solar power is what you want, then this could be a good choice. There are also a lot of cables/adapters supplied and it's cheaper than the Gum Pro.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Should already be on your camera, as I'm almost certain all the cams now ship with the latest firmware

Kev
You would think but they don't my last two were using original firmware. Flashing them is easy and painless (for some it is frustratingly not )

I have two more coming and will post if they have original or latest FW.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
Infrared panoramas

I've made a few infrared panoramas with a modified HD key camera (IR filter removed). I cound't find the post right now, but I'm sure the information to remove the filter was somewhere in this thread. Obviously, pictures are very far from the quality of an infrared-modified SLR, but it was fun and still an interesting option for creating computer's desktop wallpapers IMHO

More details and full resolution images here: http://alone-in-the-light.zenvoid.or...otography.html

zenvoid is offline Find More Posts by zenvoid
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
No my camera splits in to 20 min segments - so im guessing it is not the latest firmware.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
Folks, I have a few of the 808s ..but am a Mac user. Has anyone heard of a way I can remove the errant date/time stamp in my vids?

Has anyone used a pair of cams to develop stereoscopic or panoramic output?

I appreciate all the great info available here. Thanks.

Jim
wetstuff is offline Find More Posts by wetstuff
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:29 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
No my camera splits in to 20 min segments - so im guessing it is not the latest firmware.
There is no one, single "latest firmware". The four firmware versions that are available for download here are ALL the latest versions! That is, they are all identical in picture quality. The ONLY differences are whether there is a date stamp in the video or not, and the length of the stop/save/continue function. The "continuous recording" firmware that cycles on the mandatory 4GB file size limit is broken right now unfortunately... it does not continue recording after saving the file as it should... a fix has been promised, but not yet available. This is all mentioned in the FAQs (post #3).
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:31 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenvoid View Post
I've made a few infrared panoramas with a modified HD key camera (IR filter removed). I cound't find the post right now, but I'm sure the information to remove the filter was somewhere in this thread. Obviously, pictures are very far from the quality of an infrared-modified SLR, but it was fun and still an interesting option for creating computer's desktop wallpapers IMHO

More details and full resolution images here: http://alone-in-the-light.zenvoid.or...otography.html

That's interesting. I was just thinking of this this morning...flying over my favorite flying spots to locate the hot spots. Then again, sometime getting overly technical can take the sport out of a sport.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:35 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:

Kev

Weight is 130g
That looks awesome if it works. Please keep us informed!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetstuff View Post
Folks, I have a few of the 808s ..but am a Mac user. Has anyone heard of a way I can remove the errant date/time stamp in my vids?

Has anyone used a pair of cams to develop stereoscopic or panoramic output?

I appreciate all the great info available here. Thanks.

Jim
This thread is ONLY for the HD version of the key cam (#11 per chucklohr.com). So if you have one of the old lower resolution 808 key cams, you are in the wrong thread. If you have the #11HD version (a.k.a. 828), read the FAQs as the thread title says and you will find the answer for time stamp removal... different firmware.

Panorama images are easy with decent stitching software. I know of a couple good (free) ones for Windows PCs (sorry). There's many MAC users here, so someone will likely help with that.

Stereo video has been done... should be some sample video in this thread. Getting the two cameras similarly framed is the hardest obstacle due to their lens module not being in a precision molded spot in the case, and the case is curved except on a couple of the Jumbo case versions. so difficult to mount the cameras in proper stereo pair alignment.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:39 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Oops...already answered
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:47 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland
Joined Jul 2011
171 Posts
Quote:

Jim
It's the same for Mac as PC. Mount the cam so it appears on the desktop, put the firmware file in the root etc...
Last edited by paolo176342; Jul 25, 2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: edit
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
Thanks Tom.. they are #11s. Sorry for mixing the verbiage.

Paolo.. Mine mounts on the desktop as a 'No Name' HD symbol. When I open it, I only see the DCIM folder. I do not know where to look for the 'root' files.

Jim
wetstuff is offline Find More Posts by wetstuff
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
There is no one, single "latest firmware". The four firmware versions that are available for download here are ALL the latest versions! That is, they are all identical in picture quality. The ONLY differences are whether there is a date stamp in the video or not, and the length of the stop/save/continue function. The "continuous recording" firmware that cycles on the mandatory 4GB file size limit is broken right now unfortunately... it does not continue recording after saving the file as it should... a fix has been promised, but not yet available. This is all mentioned in the FAQs (post #3).
Tom,

Ok many thanks for the information.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:32 PM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
720p HD Keychain 808 #11 Camera on Glider Wing (5 min 45 sec)

Above is a link to my K8 glider flight taken on Sunday Afternoon. It was a cross wind that day so i could only get to a launch height of around 1000ft. The lift was very broken so most of the days flying was 5 minute circuits.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom.. they are #11s. Sorry for mixing the verbiage.

Paolo.. Mine mounts on the desktop as a 'No Name' HD symbol. When I open it, I only see the DCIM folder. I do not know where to look for the 'root' files.

Jim
DCIM is a folder on the root, so you want to put the firmware at the same level as DCIM.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Closed Thread