Closed Thread
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post
Yes—I have a #3 camera that I might open up and see about getting the mic into my headset...
That could work if you solder the extra mic to the #11 mic pads in parallel if it doesn't upset the input impedance to the audio section in the camera video processor. But I was thinking of putting a splitter on your headset cable, routing one lead to the headset as normal and the other to a small speaker in the plane. The camera has a pretty sensitive mic, and should easily record the sound if you can hear it without the headset on.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
I damaged a #3 mike when soldering some remote contacts onto the nearby push switch for a time lapse project I built. ( My project is here.. http://www.chucklohr.com/808/#TimeLapseRelayMod I did later successfully resoldered another in to replace it. But be careful, they won't take much heat!
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:43 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
Quote:
My first solo flight-Diamond DA-20:

http://vimeo.com/26323329

Great job Tony, congratulations.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:51 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Tony,

Just out of interest why did you have the camera mounted to the underside of your cap, on top of the cap peak would of been better surely?
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:56 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
Tony,

Just out of interest why did you have the camera mounted to the underside of your cap, on top of the cap peak would of been better surely?
Simon,
Tony may have different reasons.. here's why I've mounted it under.. when shooting as I often do.. up towards the sun or close too it, I believe it cuts a lot of glare out of the video.. it also keeps some wind noise down and keeps the camera cooler in the shade, I feel that may save the battery life a little bit over time.. it's also slightly less geeky looking There IS a downside .. as you speak, your voice is amplified way over the level of others that might be around you replying back.. I'm curious to hear Tony's reasons too.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Ok thanks for that, Im a Glider Pilot (Closed Canopy) i'm looking to mount my Camera when it arrives somewhere in the glider, i was going to mount it behind me where the battery for the Vario sits but i don't think the view would be that goodd. So im liking the cap idea, the only problem i have is that in the UK peaked caps are not allowed in gliders becaue they restrict the view, i don't know if this rule applies in the US.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:46 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Looking for #11 Cam

By chance does anyone State side have an extra #11 cam for sale?

Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:42 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,347 Posts
I had a #11 purchased from hxelepro360 which worked perfectly but which the computer would not acknowledge. The seller was very helpful. I ultimately had to send it back to China, but got a new, working camera today.

I was disappointed that the camera didn't work, but more than satisfied with the way the seller handled the problem.

And sorry, FCA, but you can't have it.
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:53 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Hi guys. After following through this entire thread for one whole month and with a week of Rcgroups registration problem, I finally can make my first post here to thank Tom for his efforts.

I have ordered this #11 cam from Diana this week. In case you guys are unaware of, Tom was mentioning about 50 minutes start and stop with date/time stamp firmware. It is now available from digitalele889. I got Diana to update it for me before mailing the camera out. Since Tom has done the very first trial on this firmware I was wondering whether this 50 minutes start/stop firmware:

1. would it happen to include the exposure correction like those in version 2 firmware?
2. does the recording stop at 50 minutes and restart by itself again? I was thinking whether it would have the same issue of that 4Gb stop and "cannot start" problem.
starhubber is offline Find More Posts by starhubber
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:20 AM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The camera is still powered when the power button is off, at least part of that keeps the real time clock ticking. ... BUT, if I popped out the battery ... then reinstalled it, the camera would regain normal operation. That is still a possibility with your #11 camera, hence the last resort option of disconnecting the battery briefly. One user claimed that restored his "dead" camera, others have not had that success. But worth a try if the button diagnosis doesn't show anything wrong.

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find. If the camera is fairly new and has not experienced crash damage, you can probably get it replaced by your vendor.
Nothing seemed to help. The battery is wired to a PCB with two chips on it then the wires connect to the main board. At first, there was no voltage between the black wire's pad and anything else, but there was between the outer [battery] pad and the red wire's pad (and of course the other battery pad). Flipping the PCB revealed the two chips on the other side. Snipping the battery wires and connecting to the outer pads directly did nothing. At some point voltage appeared between the red wire's pad and the black wire's pad, so I did something.

Moving to the switch. The switch has four contacts, and without instructions, it was like a pig looking at a radio. I was trying to guess how to test it, but it appeared to operate consistently.

Verdict: "He's dead Jim".

Not sure I want to ask a vendor to replace it, after I've been mucking about in there tearing things up... (And I'm in the middle of a move, so not sure I want to confuse the issue with a new address either).

Thanks for all the help.

v/r,
C-F

(With business travel and then packing and moving, I have not attempted to keep up with the thread, so if there was something in here aimed at me since the previous post, I have missed it.)
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:22 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
At Last!

I can now view HD video on my 'not quite so ancient now' Win XP PC. I've bought a used 3GHz motherboard and processor and updated the drivers for my Radeon X800 Pro video card and can now play my #11 HD video with VLC player and do basic editing with AVIdemux. I'd say that my PC setup is the bare minimum but it works! I'll be looking for a slightly less basic editor soon! I flew the EZ* this morning and will post some video later for your comments when I've had time to edit it.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:23 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Tom,

With the latest #11 models do you what the approx battery time is? and how much GB would be used?

Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:02 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks for that, Im a Glider Pilot (Closed Canopy) i'm looking to mount my Camera when it arrives somewhere in the glider, i was going to mount it behind me where the battery for the Vario sits but i don't think the view would be that goodd. So im liking the cap idea, the only problem i have is that in the UK peaked caps are not allowed in gliders becaue they restrict the view, i don't know if this rule applies in the US.
I wish i were a closed canopy glider pilot ..that seems like so much fun.. but with regard to the cam mounting,.. one thing that works pretty well is to make a rectangular EPP foam base about 2 by 3 inches and 3/4th inch thick, that slips over to clip on a left or right temple of your sunglasses frame near the lens.. and velchro the cam to that instead. Inside a canopy it's not likely to blow off ..and will stay pointing where ever you are looking . JimS
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:12 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starhubber View Post
Hi guys. After following through this entire thread for one whole month and with a week of Rcgroups registration problem, I finally can make my first post here to thank Tom for his efforts.
2. does the recording stop at 50 minutes and restart by itself again? I was thinking whether it would have the same issue of that 4Gb stop and "cannot start" problem.
Hi StarHubber.. welcome to the wonderland of RGGroups.. I'm not sure where the "50 minutes" variant came from.. but I do have 2 questions.. can you get 50 minutes on your std No 11 cam's battery? .. or do you need to use a Jumbo? .. can you get 50 minutes packed on on a 8GB microSD chip? ( normally it would hold about 40 minutes max I think) and finally why "50" minutes"? .. normally the cams with continuous record firmware will run till the memory runs out, or battery dies, or you stop them ..which ever comes 1st..I believe JimS
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:17 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

With the latest #11 models do you what the approx battery time is? and how much GB would be used?

Thanks
Hi Simon.. the latest models with the continuous record firmware are said (by the vendors) to support 100 minute record times and i believe they will need a 16Gb Class 4 or above microSD chip to do this.. but since i just got a replacement Jumbo yesterday I am about to confirm this and listen for the audio beep phenomena at the end too.. will let you know .. JimS
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:38 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Great idea and I did a similar thing with an old SD card box and it works a treat

Quote:
So im liking the cap idea, the only problem i have is that in the UK peaked caps are not allowed in gliders becaue they restrict the view, i don't know if this rule applies in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
but with regard to the cam mounting,.. one thing that works pretty well is to make a rectangular EPP foam base about 2 by 3 inches and 3/4th inch thick, that slips over to clip on a left or right temple of your sunglasses frame near the lens.. and velchro the cam to that instead.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:43 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Hi StarHubber.. welcome to the wonderland of RGGroups.. I'm not sure where the "50 minutes" variant came from.. but I do have 2 questions.. can you get 50 minutes on your std No 11 cam's battery? .. or do you need to use a Jumbo? .. can you get 50 minutes packed on on a 8GB microSD chip? ( normally it would hold about 40 minutes max I think) and finally why "50" minutes"? .. normally the cams with continuous record firmware will run till the memory runs out, or battery dies, or you stop them ..which ever comes 1st..I believe JimS
Hi Jims. I bought the original #11 with the firmware as shown at
http://cgi.ebay.com/H-264-HD-DV-wide...item336953cb10

I have yet to receive my cam. I will be using it as car dvr in a tictac box. I am using a lousy #10 key cam now. When the time comes, I will fix it on a heli or rcplane. So as a car dvr, power supply is not an issue. For flying, I may have to make some modifications. The good thing is, I have not buy any heli or plane yet. So I can take my time to find one which is having the best cam placement.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Scotsoft - great idea' very crude nut i like it.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Jims,

Thanks for the info, how much record time would 8GB give me?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:53 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Here it is! I'm not sure what happened between the edit and upload to Vimeo but the .mpg was only 2mins 20secs and a lot smoother! Like my flying, it might get better but it'll never be perfect
Easy Star over Hawkinge (4 min 17 sec)
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
dang, when are they going to fix the continuous firmware? Someone needs to bug them. It has been a long time for a simple little problem.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:11 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
My latest HD mini DV video. Camera has 0.67 wide angle from Deal Extreme and latest software version. It's a shame they can't sort the brown/green colour problem. It's my only criticism of these great little camera. Video is a 33k paragliding flight I made yesterday in Dorset UK. My UK cross country! 5k feet asl at times.

PS I just got the 15mm fisheye from DealExtreme and the quality seems remarkably good.

Paragliding XC Telegraph Hill to Lulworth Cove. 33k. HD mini dv Key Chain video (3 min 1 sec)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
Nederland, Gelderland, Meteren
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
I was testing my 2 micro SD cards i have. It are a Kingston 4Gb CL4 and a Sandisk 4GB CL2, it looks to me that the Sandisk is the better one, but it's a Class 2 card.

The Kingston came with the cam when i bought it, I had no problem with it.

So which card should i use for my #11 cam for the best results?
KeesvR is offline Find More Posts by KeesvR
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
KeesvR, either one will probably work fine. Totally up to you. They will both give the same results unless there is something else wrong with one.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
My comments in GREEN below:

Quote:
I have ordered this #11 cam from Diana this week. In case you guys are unaware of, Tom was mentioning about 50 minutes start and stop with date/time stamp firmware. It is now available from digitalele889. I got Diana to update it for me before mailing the camera out. Since Tom has done the very first trial on this firmware I was wondering whether this 50 minutes start/stop firmware:

1. would it happen to include the exposure correction like those in version 2 firmware?
I can't say with 100% certainty since I didn't ask and wasn't told if this is the case. BUT, it is my understanding that once the Rel 2 firmware was put into use, the old Rel 1 firmware was considered obsolete, and future revisions would be to the Rel 2 firmware base. And since the latter Rel 1 firmware and all the Rel 2 firmware up to this new 50 min. S/S/C version have the better exposure control in it, I'd say the chances the better exposure control function also being in this latest 50 min. version are 99.9999999999999%

The 50 min. S/S/C firmware does exactly what the name says... it stpps recording at exactly 50 min., closes the file, then starts a new 50 min. clip. I had to use my external battery pack to even reach the 50 min. point with my original #11, and I only did a bench test with a 4 GB flash memory card. The camera filled the card (one 50 min. clip and one short one), but I was unable to test if the camera does a S/S/C at the file system 4GB limit.

If you have a memory card larger than 4GB, maybe you can test for this when you get your camera? I can also ask the developer about this. I did not post the new 50 min. firmware here since it was still being tested, but since it's now being put on some cameras by the sellers, I'll check back to see if the version I have is the final version, and ask about the 4GB S/S/C function both for this firmware AND the Continuous Recording firmware.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 15, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: format
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

Thanks
Depends if you are talking about the small #11 or the jumbo version with larger batteries.... please read the info in post #2 and #3 on recording times, etc.. The file size (GB) varies with the scene you are shooting and even from one camera to the next. My camera averages about 65 MB/min.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
There is a 50 min. S/S/C firmware version... i tested it, but wasn't given the go ahead to release it. Since one of the vendors has installed it, I may be able to post this if I have the latest release version. It has limited use for the small #11, unless you are using an external battery pack and greater than 4GB flash card. I think it was developed for the jumbo version.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Hi Simon.. the latest models with the continuous record firmware are said (by the vendors) to support 100 minute record times and i believe they will need a 16Gb Class 4 or above microSD chip to do this.. but since i just got a replacement Jumbo yesterday I am about to confirm this and listen for the audio beep phenomena at the end too.. will let you know .. JimS
If your camera averages about 65 MB/min. like mine does, the 100 min recording time would be about 6.5 GB, easily fitting on an 8GB flash memory card. Maybe you are thinking of your other HD camera that records with MJPEG video codec?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamindar View Post
dang, when are they going to fix the continuous firmware? Someone needs to bug them. It has been a long time for a simple little problem.
They have been bugged... SEVERAL times by me! They are working on new 1080p camera design, so fixing this firmware bug is not likely on the top of their priority list right now. They are a small company... we need to be patient!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
My latest HD mini DV video. Camera has 0.67 wide angle from Deal Extreme and latest software version. It's a shame they can't sort the brown/green colour problem. It's my only criticism of these great little camera. Video is a 33k paragliding flight I made yesterday in Dorset UK. My UK cross country! 5k feet asl at times.

PS I just got the 15mm fisheye from DealExtreme and the quality seems remarkably good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNPfipjCnfE
Bob, that was an awesome paraglider flight! I didn't see a scale on the map... how far did you travel? I've done one tandem paraglider flight, but seeing a full size light aircraft flying past BELOW me would have really freaked me out. I wonder if he saw you??
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:54 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
There is a 50 min. S/S/C firmware version... i tested it, but wasn't given the go ahead to release it. Since one of the vendors has installed it, I may be able to post this if I have the latest release version. It has limited use for the small #11, unless you are using an external battery pack and greater than 4GB flash card. I think it was developed for the jumbo version.
I would love to try this out on one of my jumbos if you can see fit.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:47 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,425 Posts
Quote:
They have been bugged... SEVERAL times by me! They are working on new 1080p camera design, so fixing this firmware bug is not likely on the top of their priority list right now. They are a small company... we need to be patient!
1080p seems attractive, but 60FPS would be better for AV, and a lot of the folks on the Gopro threads agree. I suppose they did some market research - good luck to them!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamindar View Post
KeesvR, either one will probably work fine. Totally up to you. They will both give the same results unless there is something else wrong with one.
Thanks.

The strange thing for me is that the Sandisk class 2 gives a better result as the Kingston class 4.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
1080p seems attractive, but 60FPS would be better for AV, and a lot of the folks on the Gopro threads agree. I suppose they did some market research - good luck to them!
I don't know how much market research they did other than to see other cameras with this capability and they felt the need to come out with one also to stay in the hunt. They DID ask my opinion on the subject, though... here's my feedback to them:
"I understand your wanting to get into the 1080p market with a lower priced camera... that's a niche that needs to be filled by a capable camera. The #13 is not that camera as you have mentioned. You may have read my comments on the sample video from it that was posted in my thread a while back. They had to drop the frame rate down to 15 fps to keep from dropping frames, but that results in “jumpy” video. If you can do 30 fps with no dropped frames, you will have a big advantage right there. And it has exposure shifts and vignetting issues as well. A good CMOS/lens module to get uniform exposure across the entire frame with good color control may be the biggest hurdle, but not impossible. And a way to toggle from 1080p @ 30fps to 720p @ 60 fps would make this camera have a very high demand, even if price point is a little higher, I think. I’ll be very interested to see what you can come up with."

If they had a CMOS/lens module that could cover the full 1920x1080 HD frame size at 30 fps with no dropped frames and not have vignetting any worse than the current #11, then a separate video mode that would subsample the center 1280x720 pixel frame size at 60 fps would be possible with no dropped frames (lower average video bit rate) and produce a superior video in this size/price range! I don't really have much desire for the full 1080p HD videos... the file sizes alone make this a bit unwieldy, and a jumbo size would be necessary in any event to hold a big enough battery for a reasonable recording time (which would likely be similar to the current normal #11.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesvR View Post
Thanks.

The strange thing for me is that the Sandisk class 2 gives a better result as the Kingston class 4.
Many vendors have under-rated there memory card speed for some unknown reason. The Sandisk test result would easily qualify that card to be labelled CL4. Ditto for the Transcend CL6 cards... they have easily met CL10 data rates in every test I've seen posted here, and they recently started to advertise CL10 cards at the same price as the proior CL6 cards (which tells me the cards are the same card with a new label).

Bottom line is you can't draw very many valid conclusions from the card speed Class ratings other than their MINIMUM sequential read/write speed, and then only for "name brand" cards. Some brands barely meet the minimum and some greatly exceed them. And most generic brands are not to be trusted at all.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 15, 2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
Thanks Tom, this cleared it up for me
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:12 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
1080p files are too big.
Yes, 60fps would be more desirable than 1080p, and would still be smaller files than the 1080p...I think...
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
1080p files are too big.
Yes, 60fps would be more desirable than 1080p, and would still be smaller files than the 1080p...I think...
Yep... the 1080p HD frames have 2.25 times as many pixels as 720p HD frames, so if they had the same amount of data per pixel (on average) the 1080p files should still be a little larger at 30 fps than 720p files at 60 fps.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Hi Tom. Thank you for clearing my doubts. I would try to test out the cam with my 8G Sandisk but Singapore is a very small country and it is quite ridiculous to drive more than 90 minutes unless there is heavy traffic jam.Guess I will need to come up with the special usb cable before posting the result of 50 S/S/C firmware.
It would be great to have another firmware to choose from. Can you do me a favour by asking the developer the possibility to flash v2 firmware on the current v3 batch. I was shocked when Diana told me this was not possible.

Thank you in advance
Last edited by starhubber; Jul 15, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:10 PM
St. Thomas, VI
Joined May 2001
132 Posts
So... I ordered a jumbo #11 while ago. Received it, then kicked myself because I'd forgotten to order good memory cards!

I've shot a couple of test videos using an CL2 card from an old cellphone. Quality was decent, at long as there wasn't much movement in frame.

My new CL6 cards showed up today

I formatted both of them as FAT32 - one each with the previously-mentioned block sizes of 4096K and 32768K, as I'd like to see the actual quality and filesize differences.

BTW one of my cards came with a USB reader-dongle. I'm glad I formatted the cards with them in the dongle as opposed to in the camera, as they got quite hot during the process!

I also flashed the No Timestamp / Continuous Recording firmware. Followed Tom's instructions to the letter... no problems at all.

Hopefully we'll have some wind tomorrow. Looking forward to sticking it onto one of my slope planes !
visioneer_one is offline Find More Posts by visioneer_one
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tom. Thank you for clearing my doubts. I would try to test out the cam with my 8G Sandisk but Singapore is a very small country and it is quite ridiculous to drive more than 90 minutes unless there is heavy traffic jam.Guess I will need to come up with the special usb cable before posting the result of 50 S/S/C firmware.
It would be great to have another firmware to choose from. Can you do me a favour by asking the developer the possibility to flash v2 firmware on the current v3 batch. I was shocked when Diana told me this was not possible.

Thank you in advance
I'm trying to keep the firmware designations as Release 1 (Rel1, the original versions, now obsolete) and Release 2 (Rel2, the current versions). There are several versions of Rel 2 firmware available with different functions, and all the #11 cameras (small and jumbo) run the same firmware.

Release 2 firmware versions are available for download with descriptions of what they do via the link in the FAQs in post #3. So I don't know what you are asking about. There is no special firmware that works on just one version that I am aware of. All of the cameras currently being shipped (original and jumbo size) are running Rel 2 firmware to my knowledge.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:36 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to keep the firmware designations as Release 1 (Rel1, the original versions, now obsolete) and Release 2 (Rel2, the current versions). There are several version of Rel 2 firmware available, and all the #11 (small and jumbo) run the same firmware.

Release 2 firmware versions are available for download with descriptions of what they do via the link in the FAQs in post #3. So I don't know what you are asking about. There is no special firmware that works on just one version that I am aware of. All of the cameras currently being shipped (original and jumbo size) are running Rel 2 firmware to my knowledge.
When I approached Diana for a cam, 50S/S/C firmware was not made known to me. The default firmware that the manufacturer would load was the Rel 2 4Gb continuous without date/time stamp. I needed the date/time stamp feature so I've asked her whether she would be able to load 20S/S/C firmware. She said it was not possible.

If you are using this cam as a car dvr, the firmware with 50S/S/C will suit the bill. You do not need a jumbo since the cam is connected to car charger.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
When I approached Diana for a cam, 50S/S/C firmware was not made known to me. The default firmware that the manufacturer would load was the Rel 2 4Gb continuous without date/time stamp. I needed the date/time stamp feature so I've asked her whether she would be able to load 20S/S/C firmware. She said it was not possible.

If you are using this cam as a car dvr, the firmware with 50S/S/C will suit the bill. You do not need a jumbo since the cam is connected to car charger.
I think Diana was confused. There is a firmware (available here) here that has the date stmp in the video, with 20 min. S/S/C/ It's called "recover time". There's also "remove time" which is 20 min S/S/C, and "continuous" with no date, but it has a bug and does not restart a new recording after the mandatory 4GB file limit S/S/C.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:30 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Bob, that was an awesome paraglider flight! I didn't see a scale on the map... how far did you travel? I've done one tandem paraglider flight, but seeing a full size light aircraft flying past BELOW me would have really freaked me out. I wonder if he saw you??
Thanks Tom. Ooops I've just seen the FAQ comment about only posting vids about rc model flying! That said, I enjoyed the solo light aircraft flight posted recently and others too that are slightly off topic.

Flight was only 30k ish, 1 hour 20 mins, but my best cross country in the UK so far and it was quite a buzz boating about for a good while at cloud base. 5,200 feet is similar to my previous best UK height. Previous best distance was about 10k in the UK. UK record is close to 200k. I was in France last month and did a 37k through the Provence Alps. (Also a best for me.) The record in France is something like 300k !

The light aircraft did freak me out a bit too and I also wondered if he'd seen me. I heard the noise of his engine before I saw him. Paragliders are slow flyers and can't avoid anything. I thought about reporting an airprox, but to be honest, I didn't really feel endangered , I just hope he had seen and avoided me. Not as bad as being overflown at 100 feet or so by a helicopter which happened to me once. I filed an airprox for that one, and the inquiry found 'my safety was not ensured'. One step below being endangered. A paraglider will often turn into a bag of washing in that kind of turbulence. I was lucky though, and nothing happened?
Last edited by bobflyman; Jul 15, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:31 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Tony,

My first attempt was attaching the cam to the very top of my headset, but that was too high and all I shot was the headliner of the plane.

I decided on the bottom of my cap for no other reason than to keep that one piece of Velcro hidden when not filming.
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:37 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Wow! That was great! Congratulations. What's that beeping in the video? GPS?
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Tom Frank, THANK YOU for all your hard work on this subject :-) I have just finished 8 hours of on/off reading of all the posts in this thread! Whew!

OK so I started out with a 808 #3 a few years ago which still works fine. Picked it up at a trade show. Anyway, fast forward to a week or two ago when I purchased a new one from eBay and when I did a search, found this wonderful thread.

I am happy to say I have a #11 version of the camera and just flashed it to Rel 2, Remove Time Stamp S/S/C first shot, 100% success.

The only problem I had I just fixed which was a poorly focused camera. I cracked it open and while in Webcam mode, unscrewed the front lens cap a bit until it was much better.

I am not sure what the minimum focus distance is but it sure is quite short. Anyhow, the cap was really tight and at first I thought it was fixed. Luckily i had the guts to push a little harder and it gave a bit so I was able to make the fine adjustment.

A little mounting project for those who care about such minutiae. I use this as a car recorder "just in case" I ever get into an accident. I also would hate to ever stick anything to my wonderful little cam so I needed a different way to attach it. I bought a $0.33 cent plastic ruler at CVS (US) and some Scrungi (hair bands for girls) bands, all black and covered in soft spandex... I just attach the camera to it with the bands and insert the ruler into my overhead sun visor until the camera is just about to touch the windshield.

That's about it... now looking for other mount ideas for when I am doing sports etc without actually sticking anything to the camera :-)

Once again, thanks for this wonderful resource.
Manny Gonzalez is offline Find More Posts by Manny Gonzalez
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:56 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,903 Posts
I've been toying with alternative mounting methods on my 4M sailplane. The goal is to capture more of the plane itself, kinda like a floating camera along side the bird.

Below is a 7 minute video featuing my bird struggling in a low and weak thermal. It shows the essence of what I'm trying to do regarding the camera perspective. For those not interested in soaring in a thermal, you can follow the instructions in the video to skip the' boring bits' jumping directly to the landing. FWIW, I too would appreciate 60 fps over 1080p.

tn

<object width="1280" height="750"><param name="movie" value=http://www.youtube.com/v/BdHOmXofmOk...rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="750" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Jul 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
That's a beautiful sailplane, Thomas, and very creative camera mount and view angle! Thanks for posting... you can't get a better backdrop for an AV than that section of the Canadian Rockies.

BTW, I couldn't tell from the view in your video... looked like you didn't use any spoilers or flaps on your landing approach. Maybe if you had a long approach space and good headwind you didn't need any?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Gonzalez View Post
I am happy to say I have a #11 version of the camera and just flashed it to Rel 2, Remove Time Stamp S/S/C first shot, 100% success.

The only problem I had I just fixed which was a poorly focused camera. I cracked it open and while in Webcam mode, unscrewed the front lens cap a bit until it was much better.

I am not sure what the minimum focus distance is but it sure is quite short. Anyhow, the cap was really tight and at first I thought it was fixed. Luckily i had the guts to push a little harder and it gave a bit so I was able to make the fine adjustment.

A little mounting project for those who care about such minutiae. I use this as a car recorder "just in case" I ever get into an accident. I also would hate to ever stick anything to my wonderful little cam so I needed a different way to attach it. I bought a $0.33 cent plastic ruler at CVS (US) and some Scrungi (hair bands for girls) bands, all black and covered in soft spandex... I just attach the camera to it with the bands and insert the ruler into my overhead sun visor until the camera is just about to touch the windshield.

That's about it... now looking for other mount ideas for when I am doing sports etc without actually sticking anything to the camera :-)

Once again, thanks for this wonderful resource.
Welcome to the thread, Manny. Glad you got everything set up to your liking. Thanks for taking the time to dig through the long thread... many new users often don't even take the time to read the first 3 posts, even after twisting their arm in the thread title!

As you can tell from the forum this thread is in, it's focus is aerial video from radio controlled model planes, but you'll find helpful ideas for mounting the camera here. Many of us use sticky-back industrial-grade velcro for mounting. It really sticks tight to the plastic camera case, yet does absolutely no harm to it if you need to peel it off later.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:19 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,347 Posts
60 fps over 1080p. Absolutely.
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:22 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Thomas,
I missed the boring part...where exactly was it?
Beautiful plane, scenery and flying.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:43 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,903 Posts
Hi Tom

Regarding the creative camera angle; I certainly can't take any credit for it! I saw the essence of that type of approach used with a GoPro some weeks ago, it just didn't capture the whole plane. I'm not a big fan of the fish-eye effect common with the GoPros, and like the undistorted wide-ish angle of the 808 11. For others wanting to try this kind of mount: I can offer that I note absolutely NO change in trim or stall behavior. 20 grams including the elastic band.

Also, if you watch the trailing edge real close - or if you listen real carefully - you can just detect the point when I drop the flaps. I set them up for 90 degree deflection so they are very effective at plopping down in confined spaces. Not too scale though!

tn

Quote:
... creative camera mount and view angle ... spoilers or flaps on your landing approach ...?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:07 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Jims,

Thanks for the info, how much record time would 8GB give me?
Well since 4Gb is about 20 minutes wirth, i think 8BGb might be able to hold nearly 40 minutes but Tom would know better than I .. I just push the button and down load the video..and haven't done the math. JimS
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:17 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,903 Posts
Hey Jumpysticks - thanks for the kind words! I know you're a thermal chaser so you have a sick interest in seeing planes go round 'n round while climbing - like me!

But seriously, your blog & previous posts got me interested in the Canmore GPS logger coupled with the Dashware software. I'm torn between going with a FPV setup or something like what you are using. Depending which way I go, I might post a couple questions in your blog.

Sorry for the OT. Now returning to regular programming ...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:33 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
If your camera averages about 65 MB/min. like mine does, the 100 min recording time would be about 6.5 GB, easily fitting on an 8GB flash memory card. Maybe you are thinking of your other HD camera that records with MJPEG video codec?
Tom, yes I suppose I was .. I thought it was 4Gb needed per 20 minutes..but .. anyway I have several 16GBs anyway cause I got them for the Sunglass cam that gobbled a lot of memory, and often recharge the No 11. battery from a cigarette lighter in the field.. Today I let the new Jumbo battery run on out.. it only used half the 16Gb chip's memory doing so and I'm pretty sure it was at least 100 minutes or more...but i could not compute easily how much video record time I got.. it was in several filed restarted mid way and I did nto want to use it in a restaurant over Lunch. I also noticed the same old annoying beeps re-occur as the battery gets low.. I find the AMBER LED harder to see in the sun inside these cases too, and I may open the hole a little if I can figure out how to get in it.. there are no screws .. it snaps together, I got the silver end off easily but did not want to damage it by possibly prying it open incorrectly. this one is a BMW.. I like it cause the pointy end has the lens hole in it.. but it's very fat. the Tercel silver gray model is a little slimmer and shorter but not as cool looking. JimS
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:13 AM
United Kingdom, Dunstable
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Lens on latest cameras (focusing)

Hi guys,

After getting a replacement camera for my faulty one a while back I have found that the lenses now are bonded in a different way. I tried to remove all the glue from the outside the threads, then clamped the square body of the sensor. Got some pliers and went to brake the thread lock bond but the whole lens came out. It looked like the thread of the lens and sensor had bonded together. The thread was a right mess. So now I'll need a new sensor, any idea how much the vendor will charge for one?
Dee404 is offline Find More Posts by Dee404
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Hi

I have the #11 Jumbo .
It comes with 2-wire USB-MiniUSB charging cable (for the car lighter adapter).

I tested pin connection / correlation :

There is something strange going on with the wiring

the Male USB :

|4 3 2 1|
|=====| <= white plastic

The Male MiniUSB (5-pin):

..| 4 x 3 2 1 |
|-------------| <= the broader side

USB PIN 1 <-> MiniUSB PIN 2
USB PIN 4 <-> MiniUSB PIN 1

it is strange , as usually PIN 1 is VCC and 4 is GND, and the Female socket in the CAM charges from PC USB as expected (i.e pins 1 and 4 carry power).
Its Definitely NOT 1 to 1 and 4 to 4 .
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Last edited by Ancient1; Jul 16, 2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Feb 2005
3 Posts
I bought mine from hxelepro360 it arrived very quickly (considering shipping from China)...about 12 calendar days.

Worked great right out of the bag! Did the firmware update from this forum (post 3531 or something like that) followed the instructions and it worked as advertised!

Thanks!
youbecha is offline Find More Posts by youbecha
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:53 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Wow! That was great! Congratulations. What's that beeping in the video? GPS?
Thanks Tony. The beeping is my vario (variometer) on my right leg. (Gps is on left which shows ground speed, direction, glide ratio, has airmap etc.) The vario beeps when I'm in lift. the stronger the lift the faster the beeps. Nice sound. If you're in sink in makes a horrible screech which gets higher the stronger the sink. Horrid sound. It's also shows climb rate, sink rate, height ato and asl. And records the duration of the flight, max height and max sink/lift.

A comment re the software versions and improvements. I think (apart from battery life) it's pretty good now and can't see a great need for 60 fps, esp if it means more lost frames. My frame loss seems to be almost nil.
I'd like to see the green/brown hunting problem fixed. That for me is the only downside to these cams now.
Last edited by bobflyman; Jul 16, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:48 AM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Welcome to the thread, Manny. Glad you got everything set up to your liking. Thanks for taking the time to dig through the long thread... many new users often don't even take the time to read the first 3 posts, even after twisting their arm in the thread title!

As you can tell from the forum this thread is in, it's focus is aerial video from radio controlled model planes, but you'll find helpful ideas for mounting the camera here. Many of us use sticky-back industrial-grade velcro for mounting. It really sticks tight to the plastic camera case, yet does absolutely no harm to it if you need to peel it off later.
Thanks Tom... no worries, I read instructions on Forums very carefully and well... I run quite a few forums myself so I better follow suit

The thing with the sticky stuff is my OCD kicks in and well, I get all anal about damaging stuff... takes time but maybe one day I will stick something on it LOL. People want 1080p60 or 720p120 but I want a 1/4" Tripod Socket LOL

I just bought two more cams from Chinese Supplier via their direct website http://www.htinter.com/. Paypal Checkout is the same as eletoponline365 so should be cool. I know you have reported as much in the thread

Cheers everyone... if I ever get the guts to fly a model airplane, I will post videos... for now I'll stick to real airplanes.

Cheers!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:35 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,361 Posts
I would definitely like to see the color shift or "hunting" go away, and if I could choose I'd definitely go with 720p@60fps over 1080p@30fps. I've got 3 cameras that will shoot either, and RARELY do I use the 1080 option... The 60fps is just so smooth and fluid, and for what I do (youtube mostly) 720p is plenty of resolution.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:15 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,142 Posts
Is there a separate Keycam video thread somewhere ?

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom... no worries, I read instructions on Forums very carefully and well... I run quite a few forums myself so I better follow suit

The thing with the sticky stuff is my OCD kicks in and well, I get all anal about damaging stuff... takes time but maybe one day I will stick something on it LOL. People want 1080p60 or 720p120 but I want a 1/4" Tripod Socket LOL

I just bought two more cams from Chinese Supplier via their direct website http://www.htinter.com/. Paypal Checkout is the same as eletoponline365 so should be cool. I know you have reported as much in the thread

Cheers everyone... if I ever get the guts to fly a model airplane, I will post videos... for now I'll stick to real airplanes.
Cheers!
You might be the first to post here about buying directly from the wholesaler. Let us know what kind of shipping/service you get from them. The eBay sellers have been top notch in that respect.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
Is there a separate Keycam video thread somewhere ?

KM
There is one for all the other small 808 cameras that do not shoot true HD video... see "The mega key fob camera" thread in this forum.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,443 Posts
To Tom Frank and all the other contributors to this thread, I just want to say thanks for all the useful info on the #11, I got one from ebay (eletoponline) about 2 months ago and it has been great so far. I probably would not have thought it was that great without the resource of this thread. Thanks, again
tdab is online now Find More Posts by tdab
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Hi

I have the #11 Jumbo .
It comes with 2-wire USB-MiniUSB charging cable (for the car lighter adapter).

I tested pin connection / correlation :

There is something strange going on with the wiring

the Male USB :

|4 3 2 1|
|=====| <= white plastic

The Male MiniUSB (5-pin):

..| 4 x 3 2 1 |
|-------------| <= the broader side

USB PIN 1 <-> MiniUSB PIN 2
USB PIN 4 <-> MiniUSB PIN 1

it is strange , as usually PIN 1 is VCC and 4 is GND, and the Female socket in the CAM charges from PC USB as expected (i.e pins 1 and 4 carry power).
Its Definitely NOT 1 to 1 and 4 to 4 .
The mystery is explained in the link to external power in post #3. Maybe you can post a picture of the cables that comes with the jumbo, sounds like they are slightly different from the the smaller versions, (except the plug pinouts are the same for external power).

<edit> I found a picture of the new cables. They have modified the car charger cable... with just the car 12V socket and a plug for the 2 wire extension cable to the camera mini-usb. THAT one will have the two adjacent pins powered on the mini-USB end (we refer to them as pins 4 and 5 here, but x and 4 on your post). That is necessary to power the camera and allow it to automatically start a new recording after a recording stops automatically (from either a programmed S/S/C sequence or from the 4GB file system limit. The other fatter round cord should have 4 wires with normal USB pinouts. This should probably be show in the FAQs... probably best place is in the external power link we already have?<edit>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 16, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee404 View Post
Hi guys,

After getting a replacement camera for my faulty one a while back I have found that the lenses now are bonded in a different way. I tried to remove all the glue from the outside the threads, then clamped the square body of the sensor. Got some pliers and went to brake the thread lock bond but the whole lens came out. It looked like the thread of the lens and sensor had bonded together. The thread was a right mess. So now I'll need a new sensor, any idea how much the vendor will charge for one?
Not sure they will sell one separately, but you can ask them. A picture of what you are describing would help. If the CMOS housing is intact, you may not need a whole new sensor, but getting the lens back in and perfectly aligned and in focus may be the issue. You might have to send it back for repair, if they will even do repair work. I don't think anyone has done that, or even asked them about it.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
I asked my seller (eletoponline365) for a new lens, they send it to me as a gift, only shipping cost.
I got an email they send me 3 peaces of lens, so i hope they understand me right.
Next week I think I'll receive it.

I think the most sellers like to help you.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesvR View Post
I asked my seller (eletoponline365) for a new lens, they send it to me as a gift, only shipping cost.
I got an email they send me 3 peaces of lens, so i hope they understand me right.
Next week I think I'll receive it.

I think the most sellers like to help you.
That's excellent! The lens that normally screws in is one piece, and the CMOS lens holder module with ribbon cable is one piece. Don't know what the third piece might be. Maybe they sent you an extra screw in lens or just three of the screw in lenses?

Let us know what the three pieces are.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
I'll let you know.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:40 PM
United Kingdom, Dunstable
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
A picture of what you are describing would help. If the CMOS housing is intact, you may not need a whole new sensor, but getting the lens back in and perfectly aligned and in focus may be the issue. You might have to send it back for repair, if they will even do repair work. I don't think anyone has done that, or even asked them about it.
I'll upload a pic on Monday as the pic is on my work computer.

The thread in the CMOS housing is a bit of a mess, most of it is stuck on the lens thread.

I tried screwing it back on but the picture on the video's is really bad now.
Dee404 is offline Find More Posts by Dee404
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:05 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Tom,
I tried a 50 minute start and stop.
I turned the camera on and started filming.
Then I plugged in the car charger (the fat usb cable which plugs into the little car charger that came with the camera) into an always on car socket.

I drove a while and parked at a flea market for a while. A couple hours total.
I ended up with one 50 minute video. So no start and stop.
Not sure what I did wrong.

Maybe I will try using the skinny charge only cable and starting the filming before plugging in.

I'll report around 5pm.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Tom,
I tried a 50 minute start and stop.
I turned the camera on and started filming.
Then I plugged in the car charger (the fat usb cable which plugs into the little car charger that came with the camera) into an always on car socket.

I drove a while and parked at a flea market for a while. A couple hours total.
I ended up with one 50 minute video. So no start and stop.
Not sure what I did wrong.

Maybe I will try using the skinny charge only cable and starting the filming before plugging in.

I'll report around 5pm.
Yes, you used the wrong cable. You should not need to start a recording before pluggin in the proper cable. The camera only needs +5V nominal to operate with remote power (2 wires), but to restart a recording after a S/S function, the +5 V needs to be on pin 4 rather than pin 1 as on a standard USB plug. The thin two wire cable provides this and should be used with the car charger plug. The fatter round cable has 4 wires (two for power and two for data) and would be used with the PC to transfer files to/from the memory card and to charge the battery.

I guess there are no instructions with the camera that explains what the cables are for?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you used the wrong cable. The camera only needs +5V nominal to operate with remote power (2 wires), and the +5 V need to be on pin 4 rather than pin 1 as on a standard USB plug. The thin two wire cable provides this and should be used with the card charger. The fatter round cables has 4 wires and would be used to transfer files to/from the memory card and to charge the battery.

I guess there are no instructions with the camera that explains what the cables are for?
Yes, but the instructions did not anticipate continuous filming. Nothing in them about that. It does say "when the camera battery is low power, connect the car charger and continue to work" Not sure that that means continuous video though.

Anyway, I'm trying the skinny again, looking to get continuous 50 minute videos until the 8 gb card is full. Will report if and when successful.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but the instructions did not anticipate continuous filming. Nothing in them about that. It does say "when the camera battery is low power, connect the car charger and continue to work" Not sure that that means continuous video though.

Anyway, I'm trying the skinny again, looking to get continuous 50 minute videos until the 8 gb card is full. Will report if and when successful.
The jumbo is supposed to function exactly like the small #11, so it should cycle continuously (depending on the firmware you have flashed in) with the correct car charger cable, and the battery on mine stayed fully charged when I did a test with the small #11. But that was with the ver. 2 circuitboard, and a slight modification of the charging circuit was done on the ver. 3 circuitboard for the small #11, so not sure now. And the Jumbo is like the ver. 3 #11, I think.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
The mystery is explained in the link to external power in post #3. Maybe you can post a picture of the cables that comes with the jumbo, sounds like they are slightly different from the the smaller versions, (except the plug pinouts are the same for external power).

<edit> I found a picture of the new cables. They have modified the car charger cable... with just the car 12V socket and a plug for the 2 wire extension cable to the camera mini-usb. THAT one will have the two adjacent pins powered on the mini-USB end (we refer to them as pins 4 and 5 here, but x and 4 on your post). That is necessary to power the camera and allow it to automatically start a new recording after a recording stops automatically (from either a programmed S/S/C sequence or from the 4GB file system limit. The other fatter round cord should have 4 wires with normal USB pinouts. This should probably be show in the FAQs... probably best place is in the external power link we already have?<edit>
Perhaps an improved phrasing of that link on post #3 to include "car" "lighter" or so. Its an excellent work by Isoprop ! .
Thx
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:09 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Tom,
Tested same as last time with the charge cable....1-50 minute file and 1-11 minute file. This time however no sound issues prior to the end of the 11 minute file.

If I understand correctly, as per the link on post 3, the charge cable must be modified in order to record continuously beyond normal battery life? Cannot be done with the standard cables provided.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Tom,
Tested same as last time with the charge cable....1-50 minute file and 1-11 minute file. This time however no sound issues prior to the end of the 11 minute file.

If I understand correctly, as per the link on post 3, the charge cable must be modified in order to record continuously beyond normal battery life? Cannot be done with the standard cables provided.
You must be referring to standard "generic" USB charger cables. The car charger cables that come with the #11 cameras are not standard, and already configured with the proper pinouts for continuous (multiple timed or 4GB limited) recording cycles. But the car charger that comes with the small #11 works as it should with the special plug pinouts, and the jumbo is is supposed to be functionally identical, so it should work.

But your test sounds like the camera is not being powered by your car charger cable at all. Does your charge indicator LED light up when you plug in the car charger with the camera turned off to confirm it's getting power from the car?

I don't have a Jumbo myself to do any testing. Has any one with a Jumbo done any car charging recording with any of the other three Rel 2 firmware? Maybe someone with a Jumbo that does not have the 50 min. S/S/C firmware in it can see if they can record until the card fills up (or 4GB limit is reached?)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 16, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:45 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
You must be referring to standard "generic" USB charger cables. The car charger cables that come with the #11 cameras are not standard, and already configured with the proper pinouts for continuous (multiple timed or 4GB limited) recording cycles. But the car charger that comes with the small #11 works as it should with the special plug pinouts, and the jumbo is is supposed to be functionally identical, so it should work.

But your test sounds like the camera is not being powered by your car charger cable at all. Does your charge indicator LED light up when you plug in the car charger with the camera turned off to confirm it's getting power from the car?

I don't have a Jumbo myself to do any testing.
When I plug it in to the car charger the red led lights.
If I then press the power on button the light turns to amber.
if I hold the power button the light goes off.
The battery is apparently full because the red charge light goes off a minute or so after plugging it in and leaving it alone.

After powering on, while still connected to the car charger, if I hit the movie button, the light blinks and goes out normally. However, when I press the movie button again to stop filming, no light comes on. Perhaps that is normal with external power, but makes it difficult to tell whether you are filming or not.

My guess is that this charger is wired to charge but not run the camera continuously.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:59 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I see now that this cam is not acting like the other...same firmware.
Even off the charger the film/stop light does not come back on when stopping filming.
May try to reflash this one.
Will test the other for continuous video. It has a better battery anyway.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:15 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tony. The beeping is my vario (variometer) on my right leg. (Gps is on left which shows ground speed, direction, glide ratio, has airmap etc.) The vario beeps when I'm in lift. the stronger the lift the faster the beeps. Nice sound. If you're in sink in makes a horrible screech which gets higher the stronger the sink. Horrid sound. It's also shows climb rate, sink rate, height ato and asl. And records the duration of the flight, max height and max sink/lift.

A comment re the software versions and improvements. I think (apart from battery life) it's pretty good now and can't see a great need for 60 fps, esp if it means more lost frames. My frame loss seems to be almost nil.
I'd like to see the green/brown hunting problem fixed. That for me is the only downside to these cams now.
Yes. What a great video. Had me absorbed the whole way through.

These cameras have introduced a whole new level to sports video haven't they? With the quality they produce even the uninvolved public are attracted to the images.
So good, so cheap, so small. A winning combination.

And thanks to Tom for his efforts which has spurned the developers along

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:17 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
I've been toying with alternative mounting methods on my 4M sailplane. The goal is to capture more of the plane itself, kinda like a floating camera along side the bird.

Below is a 7 minute video featuing my bird struggling in a low and weak thermal. It shows the essence of what I'm trying to do regarding the camera perspective. For those not interested in soaring in a thermal, you can follow the instructions in the video to skip the' boring bits' jumping directly to the landing. FWIW, I too would appreciate 60 fps over 1080p.

tn

<object width="1280" height="750"><param name="movie" value=http://www.youtube.com/v/BdHOmXofmOk...rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="750" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Bloody beautiful video!! Superb angle. I watched every second of it.
Hey wouldn't it be great to have a little robotic pilot in there that could make random head movements?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Bloody beautiful video!! Superb angle. I watched every second of it.
Hey wouldn't it be great to have a little robotic pilot in there that could make random head movements?

Kev
I once saw a video where a pilot's head was on a servo "wyed" to either rudder or ailerons, don't recall which, but when turning left, the pilot looked left and vice versa. Not much "wow" factor when flying, but with a camera on board to capture the pilot motion while flying from an angle like this video, it would be very neat!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Here is a similar video with pilot "teddy" with moving hands and head. This should give you some ideas for the #11 cams. There are several similar videos on the tube. Just search "teddy rc airplane".

Teddy Takes Flight! (3 min 30 sec)
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:43 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Tom,
Success with the second camera on the car charger!
I have two 50 minute videos and a third of 48 minutes, right up to the time I turned it off. It appears that it will film contiunuously until the card fills up.
So either the firmware didn't set up right on the first camera or there is something wrong with the battery circuit.
Video quality is great, each full file is 2.588gb in size and 50 minutes long.
Thanks a million for your patience and assistance.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Tom,
Success with the second camera on the car charger!
I have two 50 minute videos and a third of 48 minutes, right up to the time I turned it off. It appears that it will film contiunuously until the card fills up.
So either the firmware didn't set up right on the first camera or there is something wrong with the battery circuit.
Video quality is great, each full file is 2.588gb in size and 50 minutes long.
Thanks a million for your patience and assistance.
Great! Thanks for testing this... I'm not going crazy after all!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Bad lab equipment it seems. Sorry for the run-around.
I'll try this good camera on straight battery now to see if it's up to spec and will get something near 100 minutes. Wish me luck.
Will report.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:13 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Thank you JumpySticks for the test.
You save me from doing the same test
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,700 Posts
FAKE #11HD Camera Alert

I have been advised by the #11 developer that there is an Ebay seller that is selling fake versions of the #11. Their ads have stolen the exact specs and images from the listings of his eight eBay vendors listed in post #2. They look like the real deal at a bargain price ($30 delivered with an 8GB memory card!), but the developer has confirmed they are NOT his cameras, and so far there is no information on their performance.

SO BUYER BEWARE! The fake #11 camera eBay seller is: fashionjewellery125

If anyone finds any definitive information on the performance of these fake cameras, please provide details to me here.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 17, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:32 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,156 Posts
Quote:
I once saw a video where a pilot's head was on a servo "wyed" to either rudder or ailerons, don't recall which, but when turning left, the pilot looked left and vice versa. Not much "wow" factor when flying, but with a camera on board to capture the pilot motion while flying from an angle like this video, it would be very neat!
How about this one. The end shows the camera mount used
RC Parkzone Messerschmitt camera fun and crashes (4 min 21 sec)
and this one is of a Spit using the mount
Parkzone RC Spitfire spits out prop and lands deadstick (4 min 47 sec)

Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:16 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Perhaps an improved phrasing of that link on post #3 to include "car" "lighter" or so. Its an excellent work by Isoprop ! .
Thx
Tom, I have added the picture of the new Car Charger to the original "The definite Guide to Power connectors, charging, and other power related questions" post. Like you say, it really is best to have everything in the same place.

Ancient1: Thanks for the compliments . I'm glad my post was useful.
Since I don't have this new charger, could you please tell us if it has a red LED (or another color), and when is it on? Is it always on when the camera is connected, or does it turn off when the camera's battery is fully charged? - which I doubt. I would like to add this information to the original posting.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:38 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Tom, I have added the picture of the new Car Charger to the original "The definite Guide to Power connectors, charging, and other power related questions" post. Like you say, it really is best to have everything in the same place.

Ancient1: Thanks for the compliments . I'm glad my post was useful.
Since I don't have this new charger, could you please tell us if it has a red LED (or another color), and when is it on? Is it always on when the camera is connected, or does it turn off when the camera's battery is fully charged? - which I doubt. I would like to add this information to the original posting.
My red led does come on when I connect the car charger, and it goes out when the battery is full. The little charger plug also has an led which stays on when it is in a powered socket, even when nothing is connected to the charger.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:41 AM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Just tried the new firmware (Remove Date S/S/C) and not sure if it was me or the camera.

Before the battery died, the camera stopped recording after 40 minutes. It properly stopped and saved and continued after the first 20 min and created a second 20 minute segment and then it stopped recording. When I took the camera out of the mount, it was sitting there with the yellow LED steady on.

I will double check today but there was no way for the video button to have been accidentally pressed because I was visually making sure of it the entire trip...

Will report back as testing continues... anyone else notice this?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:20 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
My red led does come on when I connect the car charger, and it goes out when the battery is full. The little charger plug also has an led which stays on when it is in a powered socket, even when nothing is connected to the charger.
Also, the red turns to amber when the camera is turned on while on the charger. When the start video button is pressed the amber light goes off. The amber comes back on when the start video is pressed again, to indicate stop filming. Then if the power button is pressed to turn off, the light goes out (no red charge light), I guess it is still charging but it seems like it should go red. If you then unplug from the charger and reconnect to the charger, the red light comes on.

Clear as mud?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:23 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Just tried the new firmware (Remove Date S/S/C) and not sure if it was me or the camera.

Before the battery died, the camera stopped recording after 40 minutes. It properly stopped and saved and continued after the first 20 min and created a second 20 minute segment and then it stopped recording. When I took the camera out of the mount, it was sitting there with the yellow LED steady on.

I will double check today but there was no way for the video button to have been accidentally pressed because I was visually making sure of it the entire trip...

Will report back as testing continues... anyone else notice this?
These buttons really are a light touch....not sure but I think the wind may have stopped mine once. The fact that your second segment was exactly 20 minutes makes that seem unlikely.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
One of my #11 cams is dead.

Red light on usb hookup comes on... turns off when charged for a while.

No combination of any button pushes or resets or button/usb in out make the amber light come on.

I DID successfully use this cam about 10 times before this failure... functioned fine.

I did read first 3 posts and tried all but the re-solder vid processor chip.

I tried Gregsilvers "recover time" fix, even though my failure was not related to any firmware changes. It did not work.

I took apart case and inspected solders and tried cutting and resoldering battery ground wire for full power off reset.

One other clue is that these symptoms happened 1 week ago, and when I accidently dropped it on the table (short low impact) it worked good for 1 test recording and I then had to reset the current date and time again. Thought it would remain working but it did not.

Is my only option back to china? This purchase was back in may so I don't know if they will or can do anything.

Thanks for any constructive comments or suggestions.

(The other of the two is great and I love it.)

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure that you are using the original (included) car charger?
Is this the old or the new model car charger?

To my knowlege, the red LED on the camera is NEVER turned on when connected to the car charger because it uses the special cable.
What model of camera do you have (Jumbo?) and when did you buy it?

Can you record continuously while connected to your battery charger (i.e. more than 1 file is created automatically)? If not, then you are not using the original battery charger, or you have the firmware with the bug installed.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Jul 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
HLA,
I found it amazing how steady the video was with such a flimsy looking, but obviously good mount way out in front for the model. Neato! Another project for my bucket list
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
How about this one. The end shows the camera mount used
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aVsE..._order&list=UL and this one is of a Spit using the mount
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8q6g4n7tdg&NR=1
Head
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has noticed. Discovered a huge difference in tape that I used as insurance with the velcro that holds my #11 on the wing.(epp combat wing that is covered with heat applied laminate)

Blue painters tape does not seem to transfer motor harmonic vibration nearly as much as scotch extreme bidirectional fiber tape.! I was concerned with the moisture from the wave froth rendering the blue tape useless so I grabbed the scotch extreme What a difference, won't do that again.

P
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Closed Thread