HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:57 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
camera not always recording

I've had ver.3 of that camera for several weeks. It usually works ok. But now I have had twice same problem.

I start recording, and the light turns off. But it never saves anything on the memorycard. I use the camera as an headcam, and I let it record until the battery dies. (over 50min).

On the first time this happened, it had cont.record firmware.

And on the other time i switched to 20min/stop/save/cont. firmware. This time I had shot a test record (few seconds) on newly formatted memcard. The file was still there after I tried to record as lon as battery works.

This has happened now just twice. When i shoot test videos it always works fine. It has been warm days, so can the heat be some kind of problem? I think shaking can't be trouble, because I have had that camera also mounted on rc car.

If anyone knows what's the problem...

(sorry my english)
nopsa is offline Find More Posts by nopsa
Last edited by nopsa; Jul 09, 2011 at 02:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:29 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
Hi nopsa,
The problem could be your battery if you let it run down.
Lipo batteries will not charge up if you let them run down completely.
You always need to have some power left in them so they can be charged up again.
If you can try another battery in it and if that works don't let your battery run down as far again

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopsa View Post
I start recording, and the light turns off. But it never saves anything on the memorycard. I use the camera as an headcam, and I let it record until the battery dies. (over 50min).
(sorry my english)
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:53 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Hi nopsa,
You always need to have some power left in them so they can be charged up again.
If you can try another battery in it and if that works don't let your battery run down as far again
I think the battery is working normally, because after both situations I have been able to record again after charging the battery, and the battery will last as long as before.
But maybe I have to test with external powersource, if that could help?
nopsa is offline Find More Posts by nopsa
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:59 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
G'day forum. I pretty much just joined up to be part of this thread. Got the link to here from Tecmoan who reviewed this camera. Had mine for a few months. Many of my workmates have bought them. On average we get about 1 dud out of total order number of about 10 which isn't too bad. On average we get approx 45 mins of continious record time from them.

I've been experimenting with the little camera for a while now. thanks to those who developed the firmware updates making it easier to flash off the time stamp etc. I hope to see more updates on page #1 with more topics covered.

What I would like to know has anyone been able to figure out a way to dampen the mic on it so you won't pickup a lot of wind be it on a plane of strapped onto a car etc? I thought about some foam to dull it down like a proeessional camera has. Has anyone worked out a good way to do this.

Also has anyone come across any good cases to put the camera in? I've seen a few home-made ones around only.

I ordered one of the Dealextreme fish-eye lenses so I can't wait to try this out too.

Sorry abotu the long reply here.
Nidz is offline Find More Posts by Nidz
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
After 6 months my recording time dropped to 2 minutes... Time for a new battery I guess....
I ordered replacement batteries from hxelepro360 for $4.00 each. I replaced the batteries in two #11s this morning -- very easy to do -- and both are back to over 40 minutes now.

(Edit: You can order the batteries by sending an email to hxelepro@gmail.com and pay with a PayPal payment to that same address.)
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Last edited by RogerDH; Jul 09, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:54 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
I ordered replacement batteries from hxelepro360 for $4.00 each. I replaced the batteries in two #11s this morning -- very easy to do -- and both are back to over 40 minutes now.

(Edit: You can order the batteries by sending an email to hxelepro@gmail.com and pay with a PayPal payment to that same address.)
Roger,
that's encouraging .. I'm curious did you just clip and splice the two leads? I'm assuming that the charge circuitry needed comes sealed within the new battery case .. right? BTW i have an unproven theory that the heat the chips generate while recording .. especially if in bright sunlight .. is what causes the Lopo to fade so quickly .. while flying with that extra airflow.. likely not a problem .. but it certainly is if you are using it right-side up on the ground in bright sun.. under a hat brim (like I typically use them).. not so much. And if you STOP and switch to another cam well before the audio beeping threshold .. it's likely going to save the battery too.. but who does that? not me..I'm getting a Jumbo cause I find I could shoot hands-free for a couple hrs continually during races.. and often forget it's still ON and running..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jul 09, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:12 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidz View Post
G'day forum. I pretty much just joined up to be part of this thread. Got the link to here from Tecmoan who reviewed this camera. Had mine for a few months. Many of my workmates have bought them. On average we get about 1 dud out of total order number of about 10 which isn't too bad. On average we get approx 45 mins of continious record time from them.

I've been experimenting with the little camera for a while now. thanks to those who developed the firmware updates making it easier to flash off the time stamp etc. I hope to see more updates on page #1 with more topics covered.

What I would like to know has anyone been able to figure out a way to dampen the mic on it so you won't pickup a lot of wind be it on a plane of strapped onto a car etc? I thought about some foam to dull it down like a proeessional camera has. Has anyone worked out a good way to do this.

Also has anyone come across any good cases to put the camera in? I've seen a few home-made ones around only.

I ordered one of the Dealextreme fish-eye lenses so I can't wait to try this out too.

Sorry abotu the long reply here.
I've had great results with just a piece of electrical tape over the mic hole on the case. This helps when facing directly into the wind. I've also had the camera stuffed into a soft block of foam rubber with the fisheye lens on sticking out. This seems to work very well also!

This is a good example of how it sounds in the foam rubber...

HD Keychain camera, wide angle lens comparison (1 min 5 sec)
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Last edited by KeithLuneau; Jul 09, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:27 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Hi nopsa,
The batteries in these cameras have a small battery protection circuit board soldered on their output taba (and wrapped in tape on the end). This circuit will open if the voltage during charging is too high or the voltage during discharge goes too low. So, there should be no damage to the battery if you let it run until it stops. It shuts off at a higher voltage than my plane speed controller does.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:30 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Roger,
that's encouraging .. I'm curious did you just clip and splice the two leads? I'm assuming that the charge circuitry needed comes sealed within the new battery case .. right? BTW i have an unproven theory that the heat the chips generate while recording .. especially if in bright sunlight .. is what causes the Lopo to fade so quickly .. while flying with that extra airflow.. likely not a problem .. but it certainly is if you are using it right-side up on the ground in bright sun.. under a hat brim (like I typically use them).. not so much. And if you STOP and switch to another cam well before the audio beeping threshold .. it's likely going to save the battery too.. but who does that? not me..I'm getting a Jumbo cause I find I could shoot hands-free for a couple hrs continually during races.. and often forget it's still ON and running..
The batteries do come with integral protection circuit board, but I found it easier to unwrap the tape to access the circuit board, unsolder the camera wires there, and solder them directly to the new battery circuit board. But YMMV.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Roger,
that's encouraging .. I'm curious did you just clip and splice the two leads? I'm assuming that the charge circuitry needed comes sealed within the new battery case .. right?
Since my eyes, tools, and soldering skills are all not so great, I intended to clip and splice -- I think there's enough room for that -- but instead I took Tom's suggestion and unwrapped the yellow tape and soldered the old leads to the new battery board. With my eyes, I needed a magnifying glass and a strong light, but it wasn't as hard as I expected.
Last edited by RogerDH; Jul 09, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:18 PM
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
After landing I started to turn off the recording on the camera and found that the yellow light was on. I hit the record button and the yellow light went off. I then stopped the short recording and turned the camera off. I'm certain that the yellow light went off when starting the recording prior to tossing the plane. No recording took place. It only showed me turning off the recording after I had landed. What would make the recording switch off? It was a fully charged battery. I also got a bad movie atom on a recording prior to this.
dmoshiloh is offline Find More Posts by dmoshiloh
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Since my eyes, tools, and soldering skills are all not so great, I intended to clip and splice -- I think there's enough room for that -- but instead I took Tom's suggestion and unwrapped the yellow tape and soldered the old leads to the new battery board. With my eyes, I needed a magnifying glass and a strong light, but it wasn't as hard as I expected.
Splicing can be made to work, I think, but I've not tried it mainly because there really is limited space for the wire. It needs to be just the right length and have small diameter AND flexibility to be fitted into the limited space so the cover will snap into place. Splicing will require cutting the wires to just the right length, prepping the wire ends for soldering, and adding tape or heat shrink to prevent shorting. The resultant joint will be rigid and larger diameter making it harder to fit so the case can be put back on flush. Soldering the existing wires from the camera circuit board to the battery circuit board eliminates those issues, but care does need to be taken to prevent solder bridging the two wire solder pads on the battery circuit board... they are very close together and a sharp tipped soldering iron is needed. Maybe someone who has done a splice can comment on the process?
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoshiloh View Post
After landing I started to turn off the recording on the camera and found that the yellow light was on. I hit the record button and the yellow light went off. I then stopped the short recording and turned the camera off. I'm certain that the yellow light went off when starting the recording prior to tossing the plane. No recording took place. It only showed me turning off the recording after I had landed. What would make the recording switch off? It was a fully charged battery. I also got a bad movie atom on a recording prior to this.
Is it possible your flash memory card has an intermittant connection with the pins in the Camera card slot. I recently had my card become disconnected during a recording... it was held in with tape because the card latch was broken on the camera card slot and the tape slipped during flight. But I got a 4+ minute recording with file icon on the flash card, but it would not play until I repaired the file with the program I just linked a page or so back.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:11 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Good Tip.. glad i asked.. I'm going to need to re-order lipos soon..
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:12 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The batteries do come with integral protection circuit board, but I found it easier to unwrap the tape to access the circuit board, unsolder the camera wires there, and solder them directly to the new battery circuit board. But YMMV.
rgr, will do..
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:19 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Laundered No 11.

Somerthing interesting happened today ..I was unloading the washing machine and noticed one of my No 11's was sitting in the bottom of the tub.. it musta slipped out of my shirt pocket earlier.. anyway I took it all apart, dried and blew it all off pulled the tape off the lipo and cleaned up the terminals then put other tape back and recharged it for abut 30 minutes but the RED LED did not come ON but .. and the AMBER would not either with NO Chip in the cam.. so I figured it was gone Pulled the micro SD chip and tried it on a good card reader .. it too was dead.. so it looked like a total loss but an hour later I glanced over and saw AMBER blinking cause I had left it charging .. and I put in a different chip, and I'll be darned if it doesn't work... but not with the orig $50 CL 10 microSD... that is still bad.. the chip looks FAR more waterproof than the camera but did not like the 30 minute sumberged jostle in HOT water..
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:43 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Somerthing interesting happened today ..
I'll be darned if it doesn't work... but not with the orig $50 CL 10 microSD... that is still bad.. the chip looks FAR more waterproof than the camera but did not like the 30 minute sumberged jostle in HOT water..
: D
Now thats a bit of luck for you.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
... I put in a different chip, and I'll be darned if it doesn't work... but not with the orig $50 CL 10 microSD... that is still bad..
Don't give up on the chip yet. It might take a few days to dry out.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
The SD card might "only" be corrupted, might be recovered with reformat in a point and shoot camera or non Windows device
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
I agree... there's a tiny micro-controller chip in side the case which might still have some moisture on it. I'd put the chip in a warm or sunny spot and let it sit for several days as mentioned. Then, re-format with the SD formatter utility.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 10, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:48 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Anyone experienced a problem with the #11 repeatedly making corrupt .MOV files?

Mine produces more bad ones than good ones, the larger the file the more likely to be bad. Any program i try to use to open them crashes.

Strange that when i try to reproduce a bad file in 'bench testing' i only get good files, then when i try it to capture a real video it usually comes out bad. Just been out flying and shot two videos (mounted camera on head band) and both are corrupt.

Is this most likely a problem with the microSD card?

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Anyone experienced a problem with the #11 repeatedly making corrupt .MOV files?

Mine produces more bad ones than good ones, the larger the file the more likely to be bad. Any program i try to use to open them crashes.

Strange that when i try to reproduce a bad file in 'bench testing' i only get good files, then when i try it to capture a real video it usually comes out bad. Just been out flying and shot two videos (mounted camera on head band) and both are corrupt.

Is this most likely a problem with the microSD card?

Steve
There shouldn't be much of any diffeence between a bench test and your head band vids, other some mild motion. If the card is not making very secure contact with the small pins in the card slot, the video could get corrupted by motion. You could try to duplicate that by some slight bumping of the camera during bench test, but first I would reformat the card using the SDformatter utility, and also try a different card. If that doesn't change things, the card holder in the camera might have dirty pins (clean with alcohol on an old card or other thin plastic that will fit snugly in the slot). Still not working?... maybe just a defective card holder in the camera, which should qualify for a replacement if you notify your vendor and send the camera back.

BTW, your corrupted files may very well be recoverable, at least in part using the file recovery program I linked in the FAQs. There's also a link there to download the SD formatter in the flash memory card FAQ.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the pointers. I think the reason i didn't get the errors in my bench testing was purely because i didn't shoot long enough test videos for the errors to show. I just tried a 15 min test video and sure enough i got a corrupt file. The file cant be recovered.

I'm now sure it's the micro SD that's the problem.. It's a no name generic sourced from eBay. As check I tried a Sandisk SD (borrowed from my phone) and even though it was only class 2 the videos came out fine, no corruption. So on your recommendation I just went and ordered a Class 10 Transcend card.

Also trying a format of the old generic card with SD Formatter, but I'm not optimistic.

Steve
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

Thanks for the pointers. I think the reason i didn't get the errors in my bench testing was purely because i didn't shoot long enough test videos for the errors to show. I just tried a 15 min test video and sure enough i got a corrupt file. The file cant be recovered.

I'm now sure it's the micro SD that's the problem.. It's a no name generic sourced from eBay. As check I tried a Sandisk SD (borrowed from my phone) and even though it was only class 2 the videos came out fine, no corruption. So on your recommendation I just went and ordered a Class 10 Transcend card.

Also trying a format of the old generic card with SD Formatter, but I'm not optimistic.

Steve
OK... good you found the problem. After you reformat it, run the H2testw utility to check the memory... it will show how much valid memory is on the card, detect errors, and give average sequential write speed. Generic eBay cards from eBay should be avoided at all cost... many are rejects.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:05 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Whack it in the clothesdryer!!

Kev
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:10 PM
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Record Time

What is the record time with a 4GB chip?

Does anyone know the weight of both the original and jumbo versions?

I did check the first few posts and could not find the answer. if I missed something, I apologize.

Cliff
cliffkot is online now Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
So what fw should i use on my #11 - one of the rev2's posted in this thread or the jumbo one? as for ts I personally dont care if its on or off by default - however it would be easy using the txt editing trick in the root dir instead of reflashing each time you want it on and off.
krimson is offline Find More Posts by krimson
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post

I did check the first few posts and could not find the answer. if I missed something, I apologize.

Cliff
Record time of a 4GB chip will vary a bit depending on the variable bit rate the camera uses based on the scene complexity. But it should be more than 3 hours but less than 4 hours.

I haven't seen any weight numbers for the Jumbo... maybe some one who has one will weigh and post here? The original small version weighs about 17 gms or so.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
So what fw should i use on my #11 - one of the rev2's posted in this thread or the jumbo one? as for ts I personally dont care if its on or off by default - however it would be easy using the txt editing trick in the root dir instead of reflashing each time you want it on and off.
The firmware is the same for both Original and Jumbo #11 sizes. There is no text editing trick to turn time stamp on/off with the #11... it has to be done by flashing in the proper firmware.... maybe you knew that and were just stating wishfull thinking?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:29 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Record time of a 4GB chip will vary a bit depending on the variable bit rate the camera uses based on the scene complexity. But it should be more than 3 hours but less than 4 hours.

I haven't seen any weight numbers for the Jumbo... maybe some one who has one will weigh and post here? The original small version weighs about 17 gms or so.
The real limitation is the battery. On the Jumbo it's 80-120 minutes.

I am surprised in reading some of the earlier posts about the life of the batteries. Is it really only about 6 months?

If so, I'll be ordering two new cameras in about 5 months, because replacing batteries seems like more than $50.00 labor to me.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
The real limitation is the battery. On the Jumbo it's 80-120 minutes.

I am surprised in reading some of the earlier posts about the life of the batteries. Is it really only about 6 months?

If so, I'll be ordering two new cameras in about 5 months, because replacing batteries seems like more than $50.00 labor to me.
I think the inquiry on the capacity of a 4GB flash card was assuming an external power supply were used, but if not, then you are correct.

You'll be lucky to get 6 months cycle life on these cheap batteries, and only then if you don't shoot a lot of video.

Rreplacing batteries is pretty easy, actually. Don't toss your cameras if they just need a new battery! Or if you do, toss them my way!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:13 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
I think the inquiry on the capacity of a 4GB flash card was assuming an external power supply were used, but if not, then you are correct.

You'll be lucky to get 6 months cycle life on these cheap batteries, and only then if you don't shoot a lot of video.

Rreplacing batteries is pretty easy, actually. Don't toss your cameras if they just need a new battery! Or if you do, toss them my way!
Will do!

The speed at which technology changes, we'll probably have keycams with a 360 degree view in 6 months.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:11 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post

Cliff
My Jumbo weighs 25gm according to Mrs Mixer's kitchen scales.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:56 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
.......Generic eBay cards from eBay should be avoided at all cost... many are rejects.
This is a good piece of advice which i will follow in the future.. i just ran H2testw on my eBay generic microSd card.. here's the report:

The media is likely to be defective.
1.8 GByte OK (3825600 sectors)
13.3 GByte DATA LOST (28067904 sectors)
Details:1 MByte overwritten (2048 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
13.3 GByte corrupted (28065856 sectors)
1 MByte aliased memory (2048 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000074bf8000
Expected: 0x0000000074bf8000
Found: 0x00000003cd400000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 2.16 MByte/s
Reading speed: 8.34 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

so the only surprise is how i was ever getting any good videos

Steve
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:

This is a good piece of advice which i will follow in the future.. i just ran H2testw on my eBay generic microSd card.. here's the report:

The media is likely to be defective.
1.8 GByte OK (3825600 sectors)
13.3 GByte DATA LOST (28067904 sectors)
Details:1 MByte overwritten (2048 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
1 MByte aliased memory (2048 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000074bf8000
Expected: 0x0000000074bf8000
Found: 0x00000003cd400000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 2.16 MByte/s
Reading speed: 8.34 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Steve
Every new card should always be first tested with H2testw. If the card doesn't pass the test it should be returned for replacement/refund.

Testing with H2testw has been recommended many times in this, admittedly very long, thread.

Also, like Tom says, avoid generic memory cards at all costs. They are never worth it. Always keep to known brands like SanDisk, Kingston or Transcend.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:42 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Ground skimming with the 808HD #11 Keycam

For the heck of it, this is my very latest. This was my first time of learning to ground skim in FPV using the DragonLink LRS. Enormous fun, everyone should try it! :-)

EasyStar FPV 7-6-11: Learning Ground Skimming, Flown With DragonLink! (9 min 25 sec)

The cam is the 808HD #11 with an external lipo cell mod for unlimited runtime.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:42 AM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
I wonder if the developers are ever going to fix the continuous
close and continue on this thing.

I emailed them several times requesting this, and am still waiting.
RcNutDave is offline Find More Posts by RcNutDave
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:16 AM
United States, NJ, North Caldwell
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Ordered a 808 #11from hxelepro360 today. Lets see how long it takes.
BeefandGravy is offline Find More Posts by BeefandGravy
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:44 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:

Steve
Was that test done before or after formatting with SDformatter? Just curious how the formatting process went with such a trashed card.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
I recently mentioned I have a malfunctioning #11 V1 camera. I thought about buying a true actioncam but didn't after all. I ordered a jumbo #11, the Audi to be exact.

Unforunately the SD card wouldn't click in place, instead, it jumped out immediately. The case had no screws at all. But I managed to get it open a little without damaging the case.

With the Audi jumbo #11, you need to put some pressure on the chrome part (on top and below) just at the edge with the black part of the housing. Then you can pull back the chrome part from the black housing.

With a flash light I examined the housing on the inside and see how the housing is clicked together. I don't think it's easy to separate the 2 black parts of the case without damaging the housing. The simple trick to remove the chrome part, doesn't work with the black parts.

Fortunately you can reach the 'click'-part of the SD slot. With a needle I lifted the little strip on top of the slot. After that, de mechanism worked again. Don't know for sure if it was the little bit of lifting that did the trick but I didn't do anything else. And 'lifting' doesn't mean lift it a millimeter but much less; don't force it out of shape!
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:15 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Radian almost goes to The Federal Lockup

Here's a video for the exposure hunting and control crowd. I shot it at sunset the other night.

I've been dabbling in FPV so I had that on and recording when I decided to launch and try to get some sunset shots with the HD keyfob.

The interferrence that I was referring to in the video is on the FPV video downlink, not the HD keyfob.

Enjoy

If you're interested in "the rest of the story" here it is

"When I was flying at sunset yesterday we were all on visual. I happened to glance at the LCD monitor and it was so dark that it was really displaying well. So I decided to stand there and fly by the monitor. Then the other 3 guys started watching the monitor also. Nobody had visual on the plane !!

Sure enough I got waaaay out and started a turn and the picture went away. I was panicked and started calling for my spotter to tell me where the f.....king plane was.

Nobody knew ! They were watching the monitor with me !!! So they asked me where I thought I was since the picture had come back on (barely).

Thru the static I saw THE lake so I knew I was SW of our position and headed AWAY. So I told them which direction to look (see attached picture ).

I continued my turn, they continued to look and then thru the static I could see the brick building of the school !!! I was saved, all I had to do was keep coming straight at the school and Id be home.

Except it had been the wrong lake and I was now aiming at the Prison thinking IT was the school.....Everyone was STILL looking SW for my plane and then I saw a MAJOR 4-lane road that I was flying above going north !!! Well I knew that was Kipling (please God, let it be Kipling) So I alerted everyone that HEY, I think Im over Kipling which is EAST of us, not SW !!! Look EAST !!!

After an eternity (1 2 minutes) JeDoug spotted the Radian headed back towards us from over on the east side of the school. I had him point it out to me and then everything ended up cool.

Good thing, I didnt want to have to bail my Radian out of the slammer."

Radian Almost Goes to Prison (6 min 45 sec)
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
Unforunately the SD card wouldn't click in place, instead, it jumped out immediately.
Did you push it in as far as it can possibly go before releasing it? Some cameras have the card holder slightly out of best location and require pushing in the edge of the card with a finger nail past the edge of the case before the card latch will engage.

Interesting about no easy access inside your Jumbo case. There are three slightly different Jumbo case configurations... I wonder if they are all hard to open like yours?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:21 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Here's a video for the exposure hunting and control crowd. I shot it at sunset the other night.

I've been dabbling in FPV so I had that on and recording when I decided to launch and try to get some sunset shots with the HD keyfob.

The interferrence that I was referring to in the video is on the FPV video downlink, not the HD keyfob.

Enjoy

If you're interested in "the rest of the story" here it is

"When I was flying at sunset yesterday we were all on visual. I happened to glance at the LCD monitor and it was so dark that it was really displaying well. So I decided to stand there and fly by the monitor. Then the other 3 guys started watching the monitor also. Nobody had visual on the plane !!

Sure enough I got waaaay out and started a turn and the picture went away. I was panicked and started calling for my spotter to tell me where the f.....king plane was.

Nobody knew ! They were watching the monitor with me !!! So they asked me where I thought I was since the picture had come back on (barely).

Thru the static I saw THE lake so I knew I was SW of our position and headed AWAY. So I told them which direction to look (see attached picture ).

I continued my turn, they continued to look and then thru the static I could see the brick building of the school !!! I was saved, all I had to do was keep coming straight at the school and Id be home.

Except it had been the wrong lake and I was now aiming at the Prison thinking IT was the school.....Everyone was STILL looking SW for my plane and then I saw a MAJOR 4-lane road that I was flying above going north !!! Well I knew that was Kipling (please God, let it be Kipling) So I alerted everyone that HEY, I think Im over Kipling which is EAST of us, not SW !!! Look EAST !!!

After an eternity (1 2 minutes) JeDoug spotted the Radian headed back towards us from over on the east side of the school. I had him point it out to me and then everything ended up cool.

Good thing, I didnt want to have to bail my Radian out of the slammer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xTn65OJdo
Great Story! Great video too. Just got my #11 but it will be going on a SkySurfer so it may I may not get as stable a result. Until I get some gyros anyway.

Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:38 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucwendel View Post
Thank you guys for the fw2.
Here is a result of using a wide lens from DE.

Check out the feet of the dog while inverted :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWUArWZ5GIo
Is that done with a #11 Keyfob camera? Awesome!
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:15 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,104 Posts
Thanks Tom for all the good work you do here mate!

Kev
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Thanks Tom for all the good work you do here mate!

Kev
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
I agree... there's a tiny micro-controller chip in side the case which might still have some moisture on it. I'd put the chip in a warm or sunny spot and let it sit for several days as mentioned. Then, re-format with the SD formatter utility.
Ok I'l retest the chip in a couple days..hard to format it if Windows doesn't see it.. I just hope the contacts hold up in the cam's micro SD slot and other things in it that are hard to get under and dry out (like the buttons) .. too,, but as for now it's still working..
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Ok I'l retest the chip in a couple days..hard to format it if Windows doesn't see it.. I just hope the contacts hold up in the cam's micro SD slot and other things in it that are hard to get under and dry out (like the buttons) .. too,, but as for now it's still working..
Yeah, the card will need to establish a proper handshake link with the computer to do anything with it. The camera's card slot looked pretty benign when I had mine open a few days ago to repair the card latch. There's nothing in there that water can damage (other than to short adjacent pins). In fact water can drain out of it since the cover is not attached to the base... just a slip fit. I think any moisture that could get inside the microSD card, can eventually evaporate and escape from it... keeping it in a ward spot to accelerate any recover if it's going to happen. Put it in your camera when you charge it... it gets quite warm in there!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Did you push it in as far as it can possibly go before releasing it? Some cameras have the card holder slightly out of best location and require pushing in the edge of the card with a finger nail past the edge of the case before the card latch will engage.
Might be.....but I used a paperclip to push it in as far as it would go but still wouldn't click.
But indeed, the jumbo has the SD card deeper in the casing.
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:09 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
..... it gets quite warm in there!
Speak of the devil.. I'll be darned if it didn't come back to life too..
here is the before and after the 30 minute tumble in the top-loading washing machine benchmark.. video looks Ok but i should probably clean the lens later..

Stranger things happen with No 11.s but I'd say this has got to be one of the stranger ones..
JimS
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:11 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
Might be.....but I used a paperclip to push it in as far as it would go but still wouldn't click.
But indeed, the jumbo has the SD card deeper in the casing.
The other think i don't care for with the Jumbo is the LED .. especially when it's AMBER is harder to see thru what appears to be a smaller hole..
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:48 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Speak of the devil.. I'll be darned if it didn't come back to life too..
here is the before and after the 30 minute tumble in the top-loading washing machine benchmark.. video looks Ok but i should probably clean the lens later..

Stranger things happen with No 11.s but I'd say this has got to be one of the stranger ones..
JimS
There you go...good as new!!!

I completely submerged one of my JazzHDV178 camcorders on my Polaris seaplane when I flipped it in a not so clean water pond once. It was completely under water for about 15-20 minutes. There was no video on the SD card, but it still works fine. And I was pleasantly surprised that the camera worked fine the next day, and water did not get inside the multi-element lens. I was afraid it would have internal water marks that would blur the image, but it did not happen. A cleaning of the front and rear surfaces was all I did, and if possibly didn't even need that. I still use that camera today on some planes... it takes a much better 1280x720 HD video than the #11, and the video bit rate is only abour 4200 kbps.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
Essex, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2004
348 Posts
Hi Chaps,
Ive been testing my simple mount in various positions on my venerable T180 electric conversion and thought I'd share:

T180 over Shotgate Essex UK (3 min 41 sec)

My favourite is the under tail view which starts at 01:44
autoair is offline Find More Posts by autoair
Last edited by autoair; Jul 14, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:30 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Thumbs up on the under tail view.
Nice smooth flying too.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:53 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,104 Posts
Wow! Just love it. Both positions are great. It is so important to have the model in view.
The rear view suffers a bit from iris shutdown due to the sky.
With your front view you could swing the cam slightly more to the left to reduce the occasional affect from the sky also.

Serious question: how much would you charge us members to make those mounts? They are great

Kev
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:17 AM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
178 Posts
Here's a vid with the #11 cam from 4th of July weekend on my Radian.

Minocqua, WI. Flying the Radian out over the lake 2 (8 min 0 sec)
geives1 is offline Find More Posts by geives1
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:01 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
I have just received a #11 cam that I ordered last week on eBay. Very pleased with the results. But one strange thing. There is not date time stamp. I would have probably wanted to remove it anyway, but just curious if I do want it. Is this a new version that has some way of enabling or disabling it. This was the eBay item
http://bit.ly/pxM2qY
It does say the latest updated file removes the time and date. But I wouldn't mind the files themselves timestamped.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi all,

Iv just ordered this Keychain HD camera off Ebay, can anyone tell me what the recommended Micro SD Card would be, im thinking of an 8GB Class 10 (Sandisk) would this do the job?
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
Hi all,

Iv just ordered this Keychain HD camera off Ebay, can anyone tell me what the recommended Micro SD Card would be, im thinking of an 8GB Class 10 (Sandisk) would this do the job?
Mine is working great with a Class 6 4GB from Scan Computers. Cost me 10.
I worked out the battery would be flat well before I filled the 4GB card.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:51 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblister View Post
I have just received a #11 cam that I ordered last week on eBay. Very pleased with the results. But one strange thing. There is not date time stamp. I would have probably wanted to remove it anyway, but just curious if I do want it. Is this a new version that has some way of enabling or disabling it. This was the eBay item
http://bit.ly/pxM2qY
It does say the latest updated file removes the time and date. But I wouldn't mind the files themselves timestamped.
See post #3. Posts 1-5 may also be useful to you
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:57 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
See post #3. Posts 1-5 may also be useful to you
Thank's I did read the three posts at the beginning. There was no mention of no time/date stamp from new. I was enquiring if this may be a new firmware version with the date/time being toggleable possibly. I did get the answer many posts deep though. Apparently some of the latest ones have had the date/time stamp disabled.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:17 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Simon,
I'm confident a CL10 would do very well, but a CL10 is not needed..

I shoot long videos some times, so would get a Class 4 or 6.. and spend the cost difference on a 16 to 32Gb CL 4 instead .. I only got a CL 10 myself (see benchmark in post # 5350 above) cause I was using it primarily in some sunglass cams that drop lots of frames with slow chips.. the No 11 does not have a prob I believe with Class 4 or above ..(personally I use a CL 2 SANDISK with no issues I can see in the video) but who can trust these benchmarks and vendor claims, they're all over the map just try to be sure you can return it if you have issues and don't like it.. I am pretty confident a CL 4 or faster is fine in these No 11's.. but perhaps Tom can chime in .. listen to his advice it's much sounder than mine is.. JimS
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblister View Post
Thank's I did read the three posts at the beginning. There was no mention of no time/date stamp from new. I was enquiring if this may be a new firmware version with the date/time being toggleable possibly. I did get the answer many posts deep though. Apparently some of the latest ones have had the date/time stamp disabled.
Some new ones are coming with the "date off" firmware installed. The FAQ's give details on the available firmware and setting the time so time stamps on the file are correct.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Simon,
I'm confident a CL10 would do very well, but a CL10 is not needed..

I shoot long videos some times, so would get a Class 4 or 6.. and spend the cost difference on a 16 to 32Gb CL 4 instead .. I only got a CL 10 myself (see benchmark in post # 5350 above) cause I was using it primarily in some sunglass cams that drop lots of frames with slow chips.. the No 11 does not have a prob I believe with Class 4 or above ..(personally I use a CL 2 SANDISK with no issues I can see in the video) but who can trust these benchmarks and vendor claims, they're all over the map just try to be sure you can return it if you have issues and don't like it.. I am pretty confident a CL 4 or faster is fine in these No 11's.. but perhaps Tom can chime in .. listen to his advice it's much sounder than mine is.. JimS
Yes, CL4 is enough if the card is from a reputable company, but when I can get a 4 GB Transcend CL10 for $10 delivered, I don't look anywhere else. But then I don't do any recording that would overflow a 4GB card, either.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:38 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Anyone here have first hand experience with these cams, as well as something like a Sony Bloggie cam? I'm kind of torn between those two, and I sure like the weight / form factor of the keychain cam.
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
Anyone here have first hand experience with these cams, as well as something like a Sony Bloggie cam? I'm kind of torn between those two, and I sure like the weight / form factor of the keychain cam.
I've got both, but there's not much to compare. If image quality is your main priority, Bloggie wins from just about any perspective! If being able to put the camera on a model plane in any place you want and shoot at any angle you want is your main priority, the #11 wins from most every angle (pun intended). But you already knew that!

If you are like me, you want the bloggie in a #11 size case.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:16 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Quote:
If you are like me, you want the bloggie in a #11 size case.
Yep, pretty much.
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:49 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Yep, that would be ideal. Sandisk is one of the best, 8gb is plenty & class 10 is the fastest read/write.

Kev
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,104 Posts
Bloggie

Heree's a review of the Sony Bloggie

http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-bloggie-...-339305785.htm

Kev
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:19 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
I flew the bloggie a few times, mounted under the canopy with the 360 attachment sticking out of the top. The 360 videos were really neat, but not real hi-res. The camera is about as heavy as the contour gps camera, and only films for 20 minutes at a time (at least my model did, not sure about the new ones).

I never shot either the bloggie or the contour in 1080p due to file size and record time issues. 720p is plenty for rc IMHO, plays better on computers than 1080p. Also uploads quicker.

The keycams are much easier to mount in different locations, like wingtips.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:22 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
My first solo flight-Diamond DA-20:

Solo (6 min 15 sec)
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post

http://vimeo.com/26323329
Hmm won't let me view it

............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:35 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Hmm won't let me view it

............te
SorryI just upgraded to Vimeo Plus and I see that I have some control over embedding. Should be viewable now.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
Quote:

That's a nice flight - congrats!

Just curious - don't you set the altimeter to zero? It was intersting watching the gages as you went around. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:10 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post

Just curious - don't you set the altimeter to zero? It was intersting watching the gages as you went around. Thanks!
Oh oh.....better reformat that card!

Should be set for ground level though, right?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:28 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:

No. The altimeter is set to the current sea level pressure to show field elevation, 170 ft at that airport (rounded to 200.) That way all airplanes are flying in the same space. Imagine a flight that left from an airport at sea level and another at a field 500 above sea level both left with an altimeter set to zero. Without some baseline to share, they would be at different heights if flying at say 1,000 feet.

Pattern altitude is 1,000 feet at that field, so that's why I leveled off at 1,200. Pattern altitude plus field elevation.

I know what you mean. Why doesn't the altimeter read zero was my first thought too. It took me some time to wrap my head around that concept!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Try connecting to the PC USB port, pushing the reset button, etc. Maybe even do to firmware flash or battery disconnect if all else fails. Whatever you do, don't trash-can it. I gladly accept all dead #11s for spare parts!

Hi Tom, and everyone else.

I re-opened the cam yesterday to check once again, and noticed that the battery has swelled up (case popped open after unscrewing). That obviously now needs replacing (I have ordered a spare from Diana @ hxelepro360), but does anyone know what the most common reason for failure of these cams is? I am hoping it is just the battery... but could the battery have damaged anything else?
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:46 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzen View Post
Hi Tom, and everyone else.

I re-opened the cam yesterday to check once again, and noticed that the battery has swelled up (case popped open after unscrewing). That obviously now needs replacing (I have ordered a spare from Diana @ hxelepro360), but does anyone know what the most common reason for failure of these cams is? I am hoping it is just the battery... but could the battery have damaged anything else?
Swelling like that can occur to some degree as the lipos age, but over-discharge can do it prematurely, as can over-charging. But the battery's small protection circuit board should prevent both of those IF it functions properly. I doubt if they are highly accurate or reliable, though. The #11 also has a chage IC on the main circuit board as well to mange the charge.

I have quite a few flight power lipos that have puffed up just from aging.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:16 AM
Essex, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2004
348 Posts
Jumpysticks and Berkie many thanks for the constructive comments, as to making the mounts for sale that would have to be for somebody with CNC, my machines are all manual and it took about 4 hours to make the prototype. If anybody wants to manufacture these please feel free, I'll even buy another myself if the price is right!
autoair is offline Find More Posts by autoair
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Swelling like that can occur to some degree as the lipos age, but over-discharge can do it prematurely, as can over-charging. But the battery's small protection circuit board should prevent both of those IF it functions properly. I doubt if they are highly accurate or reliable, though. The #11 also has a chage IC on the main circuit board as well to mange the charge.

I have quite a few flight power lipos that have puffed up just from aging.

Thanks Tom. The cam has been used less than two months, so age is not to blame. The fall might have damaged the protection circuit, but I'm just speculating.

We'll see if replacing the battery revives the cam.

I also want to add, that dealing with Diana has been an absolute pleasure - she's been prompt, courteous, and accommodating of my request (I just ordered and got a great deal on a second cam with a spare battery for my dead cam).
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:33 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi guys thanks for all your comments on the Micro SD Card ;-))
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:28 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,958 Posts
Quote:

Whohoo!
Congratulations
Reminded me of my 1st solo - (in a glider) I remember the continuous (internal) check-lists being run as you go round and down.
Nicely judged turn off base onto finals, & great speed control all the way down. Now for the full ticket.....

I was surprised when I flew ( dual ) power in USA, that the altimeter was set at sea level, but it does mean you don't have to fiddle with the zero when landing away from home, just read the airfield hight from the map, do the maths once, and you are done.

Thanks for sharing your joy.
Mike

Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Jul 13, 2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: changed mat to map :(
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoair View Post
Jumpysticks and Berkie many thanks for the constructive comments, as to making the mounts for sale that would have to be for somebody with CNC, my machines are all manual and it took about 4 hours to make the prototype. If anybody wants to manufacture these please feel free, I'll even buy another myself if the price is right!
Another idea could be to design the mount with google sketchup (freeware) and use a service such as shapeways.com to make it for you. I have no experience with 3D printing, but I believe this could be a possibility.
There are very good tutorials on sketchup, and it's easy to learn.

Just a thought, and I don't know how expensive it would be...
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:22 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,409 Posts
Hi Tony,
Congrats on your solo and thanks for sharing

So you setting by the current the barometric pressure which should give you proper field altitude AGL correct? ...i.e. current BP is 2984? ...or is the new private pilot now only setting the altimeter by the rounding off the field altitude these days?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
No. The altimeter is set to the current sea level pressure to show field elevation, 170 ft at that airport (rounded to 200.) That way all airplanes are flying in the same space. Imagine a flight that left from an airport at sea level and another at a field 500 above sea level both left with an altimeter set to zero. Without some baseline to share, they would be at different heights if flying at say 1,000 feet.

Pattern altitude is 1,000 feet at that field, so that's why I leveled off at 1,200. Pattern altitude plus field elevation.

I know what you mean. Why doesn't the altimeter read zero was my first thought too. It took me some time to wrap my head around that concept!
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi when viewing back the .mov files what would give me the best picture quality out of watching it on my PC through VLC or converting it to something that i can watch on my HD TV?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:11 AM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in getting one of these keychain cameras to attach to my planes to get in-flight video (not FPV flying).

I read the first few posts in the thread that contain just about all the information one could need (I did not read through the entire thread though, considering it's 350+ pages). However, I still have a quick question:

In each of the 8 ebay sellers listed in the second post of the this thread, they seem to have dozens of #11 cameras. Is there any difference between these, or is it safe to say that they are all the same and will have the proper video quality?

I was looking to buy from seller hxelepro360, but they have so many options for #11 cameras, I'm not sure which one to get.

Thanks for any advice regarding
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi,

Three things will identify that your getting the True HD # 11 series Keychain.

Make sure the Chipset is H.264 producing .mov files not Avi
Make Sure the Res is 1280 X 720 - Not 1280 X 960 (as this is upscalled from 640 X 480)
The price should be around 25 not sure what that is in US $ around $40 ish at a guess.

If this is mentioned then i would say you are safe in that the internal camera is the genuine #11 series.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:21 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
The choice is yours, all you need to make sure of is the following -

1: 720P High Definition Video
1280x720 H.264 30fps .mov
2: 5.0Mega pixels Camera
2592X1944 .jpg

I bought this one and it's superb -
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-DV-Camera-Ved...item33691d3020

hope this helps you chose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire222 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in getting one of these keychain cameras to attach to my planes to get in-flight video (not FPV flying).

I read the first few posts in the thread that contain just about all the information one could need (I did not read through the entire thread though, considering it's 350+ pages). However, I still have a quick question:

In each of the 8 ebay sellers listed in the second post of the this thread, they seem to have dozens of #11 cameras. Is there any difference between these, or is it safe to say that they are all the same and will have the proper video quality?

I was looking to buy from seller hxelepro360, but they have so many options for #11 cameras, I'm not sure which one to get.

Thanks for any advice regarding
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Hi when viewing back the .mov files what would give me the best picture quality out of watching it on my PC through VLC or converting it to something that i can watch on my HD TV?
The native .MOV file viewed on your PC will always give the best video image. Your HD TV screen is probably larger than your PC monitor, so even if you are able to stream the native video to the HD TV, the larger image may not look as sharp as the PC because the pixels are larger, too (depends on how far away from the screen you sit).

Any time you convert a video by re-encoding it it, you will lose quality. Some conversion program and editors will allow you to convert to a different file format such as .mp4 or .avi WITHOUT re-encoding the video, so original quality would be retained. But you still need a way to feed the video to your TV.

If you have a blu-ray disk player and and editor that can burn blu-ray disks, that could retain most of the origianl video quality. I don't have one so have not tried it, but I have streamed my videos to my HDTV using a wireless router and my XBOX360 via the integrated Windows Media Center interface. It looks really good on the big screen, but still not as finely detailed as viewing the smaller image on my PC monitor.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi Tony,
Congrats on your solo and thanks for sharing

So you setting by the current the barometric pressure which should give you proper field altitude AGL correct? ...i.e. current BP is 2984? ...or is the new private pilot now only setting the altimeter by the rounding off the field altitude these days?
If you cannot get current pressure from ATC, or an automated weather recording, then the back-up trick is to set the altimeter to field elevation. And that's printed on the charts for each airport. On the ground of course!

Attached is 2W5 @ 170 feet.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
The choice is yours, all you need to make sure of is the following -

1: 720P High Definition Video
1280x720 H.264 30fps .mov
2: 5.0Mega pixels Camera
2592X1944 .jpg

I bought this one and it's superb -
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-DV-Camera-Ved...item33691d3020

hope this helps you chose
Thanks for the info simonbryant and scotsoft! That confirms what I thought.

Another quick question: These come with chargers, right?

Nevermind, I feel stupid for not reading more on the ebay pages. I see now that they do indeed come with charger and accessories. I just ordered one, looking forward to receiving it and trying it out!
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Last edited by Spitfire222; Jul 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:39 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Tom thanks for that - do you use VLC or Quick Time to view your .mov files?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Spitfire

The camera comes with a mini USB - STD USB lead that will plug in to your PC or Laptop - charge takes approx 1 hour so i am told im not sure how long the battery will last though! Im sure that the battery will expire before you fill up a 4GB Card.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Tom thanks for that - do you use VLC or Quick Time to view your .mov files?
Quicktime does not work on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC (unless they fixed it), but I don't need it. Windows Media Player and Media Center for W7 plays .mov files just fine, and WLMM edits them as well. Once in a while a .mov file can get mildly corrupted where VLC will play it (less error checking, I guess) and WMP will not, but those cases are rare and I can repair most corrupted .mov files with another utility program.

FWIW, I don't use anything "Apple" or that starts with an " i ".
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Ok Tom - Many Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
Quote:

Thanks - the cam did a great job of capturing inside gages and outside view. Did you capture audio separately, or is that the cam?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:24 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Quick Fun vid from last night.

Joe

PMAC Jet Flight Issue #1 (1 min 42 sec)
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:34 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Thanks - the cam did a great job of capturing inside gages and outside view. Did you capture audio separately, or is that the cam?
It all depends where my hat is pointed.

I have the cam velcro'd to the underside of my cap and I flip the file in Quicktime.

Sometimes all you see is "out the windscreen." On that flight, I was excited to see the panel. I could really study my pattern that way. The audio is just noise in the cockpit. With the throttle at idle, it can pick up audio pretty well. I'm working on a way to get the headset audio too. It would be great to hear the ATC controllers and study my radio calls, etc.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
It all depends where my hat is pointed.

I have the cam velcro'd to the underside of my cap and I flip the file in Quicktime.

Sometimes all you see is "out the windscreen." On that flight, I was excited to see the panel. I could really study my pattern that way. The audio is just noise in the cockpit. With the throttle at idle, it can pick up audio pretty well. I'm working on a way to get the headset audio too. It would be great to hear the ATC controllers and study my radio calls, etc.
Is your headset audio in both ears? Maybe you could rig a different camera mount so it is right along side and above one ear, then put some foam under that headset ear piece so some headset sound could escape and be picked up by the camera?

Or the "cable splitter to a small speaker idea" I mentioned a while back?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Or the "cable splitter to a small speaker idea" I mentioned a while back?
YesI have a #3 camera that I might open up and see about getting the mic into my headset...
Closed Thread