HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:04 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Did you try re-flashing in the firmware, making sure your camera battery is fully charged when you start, and letting the camera sit untouched until the yellow LED comes back on after starting the flashing operation? And did you erase the firmware file after flashing it in so the camera doesn't keep flashing it in everytime you power up?

The flashing procedure is pretty simple and should work fine if the instructions are followed exactly.
I have done this operation once before, on my first camera and it went just fine.

Here is what I did -

I put the memorycard into my cardreader, did a Quick format. Copied the firmware file onto to card. Put the card into my camera, try to turn the camera on, but the camera will not turn on - it stays turned off. The camera is fully charged.

I will try to find some more help, searching this threadt.
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:38 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash View Post
Yes, I can.
I also use Videostudio Pro x4 version, and it can import and edit the files.
I have a v2 #11 camera with release 1 firmware, if this makes a difference. It may not, I can`t know as I never have installed release 2 firmware, neither I have a v3 camera.

I think you miss the part that the camera is sold from USA.
So if you`re a US citizen, I`m not, then you gain:

a) warranty. As you may have seen there are some posts mentioning about the cost to send the camera back to China, wait, wait, wait, and after so much waiting you may get the replacement. I would say that there is no warranty if you get it through China. If you`re lucky it works, if not then you have nothing. It`s like as when you cast the dice.
So here you have no such trouble.

b) faster shipping. I suppose.

c) hand picked. Maybe.

d) seller pays taxes. Like if you had to pay taxes for importing the camera, plus the profit taxes for the sale. So a part of the price is gone to the IRS. I suppose.

I think the phrase that this is an open market and anyone can make his own decisions is the right one.
I myself bought two from China cause there were not sold in my country anyway, and I may did the same if the price difference was big enough to take my risks -as I`m a risky man and then I don`t worry if something goes wrong.
There is no difference in the .MOV files produced by the different camera vaersion that would allow one file to be loaded into a program but not another file, unless one file got somehow corrupted.

Lets be more accurate about the warranty. Your comment about no warranty/out of luck if a defective camera purchased from one of the China eBay sellers listed in post #2 is TOTALLY WRONG! Based on all the posts here, any defective camera that has been returned to them for confirmation of the defect has been replaced... all of them! The fact that the camera has to be returned at the user's expense to verify the defect (and analyze/correct the problem on future cameras) has received complaints and was discussed here before. This is standard practice here and I wish people would stop complaing about it! Maybe you can get a replacement sent to you and keep the original where you live, but it does not mean there is no warranty or support by the China sellers! The cost to send the product back to China is a problem with your postal system, not the seller's warranty policy. I can (and have) returned a defective camera to China from here in the U.S. for about $5 US. The return/replacement time delay can be minimized by negotiating with the seller to buy a new one and get credit back for that purchase when the defective one is returned/received. I have no idea if the U.S. seller offers any warranty or can provide support equal to or better than the China sellers.

I agree the U.S. buyers should get the produce shipped to them a little faster from a U.S. seller, but that's about it. Taxes are pretty much a non-issue here unless the U.S. seller conducts business from the state where you live, then maybe 4% - 9% sales tax. But for me, the add on price of this U.S. seller is excessive for just the camera/memory card based on the excellent sales/ service and support I have received from my China eBay seller. I can get the product in about 7 days from China, and in 2-5 days from a U.S. based location, depending on where/how it's shipped.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 01, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:03 PM
The Netherlands, GR, Groningen
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
a) warranty. As you may have seen there are some posts mentioning about the cost to send the camera back to China, wait, wait, wait, and after so much waiting you may get the replacement. I would say that there is no warranty if you get it through China. If you`re lucky it works, if not then you have nothing. It`s like as when you cast the dice.
What you imho may have forgotten is that a buyer who buys an article through Ebay (any article) has a very powerful tool: feedback ratings. Sellers are scared to death for negative feedback and they will do a lot to prevend that. It is certainly not uncommon that a seller offers to replace a defective item.

The main problem is that the seller wants you to send the defective item back first, and most of the time the buyer has to pay the return charges. Those shipping costs can be quite high. I expect these costs from, lets say, the USA to China or from Europe to China can be 10x higher than the other way around. I was told that Chinese vendors only have to pay a minimal amount because the Chinese government is paying for the rest, in order to stimulate chinese economy and chinese export.

[edit]: I was still typing this message when Tom was already posting his reply, which makes this message somewhat redundant, but I fully agree with what Tom wrote.
grun is offline Find More Posts by grun
Last edited by grun; Jul 01, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
I have done this operation once before, on my first camera and it went just fine.

Here is what I did -

I put the memorycard into my cardreader, did a Quick format. Copied the firmware file onto to card. Put the card into my camera, try to turn the camera on, but the camera will not turn on - it stays turned off. The camera is fully charged.

I will try to find some more help, searching this threadt.
Mine did that ONCE, but using the USB connection process outlined in the FAQs revived it, and I has flashed in firmware at least a dozen or more times since then with no issues. The Rel2 firmware does take a bit longer to flash in, though... 11 to 12 secs. for the yellow LED to come on in my last one. Good luck. I'd keep trying it.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grun View Post
What you imho may have forgotten is that a buyer who buys an article through Ebay (any article) has a very powerful tool: feedback ratings. Sellers are scared to death for negative feedback and they will do a lot to prevend that. It is certainly not uncommon that a seller offers to replace a defective item.

The main problem is that the seller wants you to send the defective item back first, and most of the time the buyer has to pay the return charges. Those shipping costs can be quite high. I expect these costs from, lets say, the USA to China or from Europe to China can be 10x higher than the other way around. I was told that Chinese vendors only have to pay a minimal amount because the Chinese government is paying for the rest, in order to stimulate chinese economy and chinese export.
Cost from China to U.S. has to be really cheap, especially since they also send with tracking and delivery confirmation. To do THAT from the U.S. costs a ton and is prohibitive, but to just send via plain First Class International Mail to China is not expensive... $4.96 to be exact... not much different than sending a small parcel via regular parcel post within the U.S. Yeah, it could get lost in the mail and never be found, but so far everything I've send back to various China web sellers via that method eventually arrived. And I've always gotten a replacement. If my camera gets lost and never received, I've lost less than $5 with a good probabilty I'll get back a new $40 camera. Worth it for me. YMMV.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 01, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:57 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's some video shot from the P3 F-16 chasing an Alfa Mig-15 around. It was very late in the day and the cam did very well keeping up with the low light.

The transitions from sky to field where black but once enough of either was in the field of view the cams preformed very well. You can see the grain in the video due to the low light.

Without NAV lights on my F-16 I couldn't have flown this late in the day.

Still kinda cool.

PMAC - Johnny Mig (1 min 39 sec)

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:59 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Well this video is "private" so we cannot see it.
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:01 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Oops... Try now.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:52 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Sweet video Joe! Classic dog fight!
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:49 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Yeah Keith. I'd like to see that

Thanks

Kev
Here ya go! Lighting wasn't the best and it's kinda grainy, but you get the idea and can see the difference in each field of view. I didn't have the FE-12 centered up right as you can see with the edges in view on the right side. The W-67 isn't so critical, just slap it on and go. The FE-12 is hard to get all the edges out of view. It's usually just a little on the corners though, not like this.

HD Keychain camera, wide angle lens comparison (1 min 5 sec)
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:43 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Here ya go! Lighting wasn't the best and it's kinda grainy, but you get the idea and can see the difference in each field of view. I didn't have the FE-12 centered up right as you can see with the edges in view on the right side. The W-67 isn't so critical, just slap it on and go. The FE-12 is hard to get all the edges out of view. It's usually just a little on the corners though, not like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MARBHs_a27A
That was quick! Great stuff Keith. The freeze frames were an excellent idea giving a direct comparison.
I've got a single objective firstly with these lenses ( I have both on order) and that is to replicate this view http://www.youtube.com/user/georgitu.../1/cWaEoMAf1Z8 on the 2.32 metre Fox.

So hopefully I can fit the wing tips in with the W-67, (because it's less of a fiddle), although when you see the curvature of the horizon it does look like an FE-12 eh?

Kev
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:50 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Yeah it looks like it, and you can see the edges of the lens in the top two corners as well. I'd guess FE-12. He's a member here by the way, if I remember right his username is "tushev", he used to hang out in the FPV forum when I was on a lot. Maybe he still does!? lol
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:28 AM
Joined Sep 2009
422 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I can.
I also use Videostudio Pro x4 version, and it can import and edit the files.
I have a v2 #11 camera with release 1 firmware, if this makes a difference. It may not, I can`t know as I never have installed release 2 firmware, neither I have a v3 camera.
OK thanks for that interestingly enough my version of x4 would not deal with MOV files and would simply shut down if I tried importing them. After some digging around I found a forum at Corel with a thread about this. Apparently it is a common fault on Videostudio that some installations will allow and some wont allow the use of MOV files

Anyway I have now overcome this problem by installing the latest "Quicktime Alternative" codec pack and immediatley after doing that Videostudio Pro x4 will import and edit MOV files. Hope this info is helpful to anyone else suffering with this problem.

Incidentally air crash the only thing I now have a problem with is when I apply a filter to the MOV video clip I then loose the audio from it does this happen with you?

Bill
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:22 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grun View Post

I recently bought one of the 'fake' HD cameras http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MiNi-U...item3f0519d0d1 from a Chinese Ebay vendor. I mailed him and after a 2 day exchange of mails - he was very quick to reply - I obtained a full refund, provided I gave good feedback and said it was my mistake. It cost £2-50 ( about $4) to return the item. I realise that not giving correct feedback may cause other buyers to be caught out but on this occasion I was thinking of No1!
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:28 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally View Post
Incidentally air crash the only thing I now have a problem with is when I apply a filter to the MOV video clip I then loose the audio from it does this happen with you?

Bill
I`ll let you know when I get back to home. I`m on vacations now, shooting with my #11, and so you`ll get news for this a bit late, after the 18th of the month.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:47 AM
Joined Sep 2009
422 Posts
Quote:
I`ll let you know when I get back to home. I`m on vacations now, shooting with my #11, and so you`ll get news for this a bit late, after the 18th of the month.
No problem enjoy your holiday

Anyone else using Corel Videostudio Pro x4 having any problems with MOV files?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:00 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
I'm using Corel Video Studio and have zero problems editing with the files straight off the camera, as well as a few other cameras I have that record h.264 .mov files. I'm using X4 now, was using X3 a while back. I did have issues with it throwing up errors and hanging up while using X3 as well as whichever the last version what when it was still a Ulead product before Corel bought them. However, I did a bit of digging and found that it was a certain version on Apple Quicktime that didn't play well with Video Studio. I found a link to an older version of Quicktime which I installed and have not had a single issue since! I'll see if I can dig up the link, or at least look and see which version I have installed right now.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:03 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Can adobe premiere pro handle .mov files from this Cam?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:08 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Here's the original thread in Corel's forums that I found back then:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38432

In short, it says that Quicktime 7.6.6 was the culprit, and downgrading to plain 7.6 solved it, which worked for me then. I just looked and apparently I've upgraded to 7.6.9 which is current somewhere along the way, probably with some software I've installed. I can say that mine is working 100% as is... Check and see which version you have installed, if it's 7.6.6 or close to it, you might try updating Quicktime. It can't hurt, and you can always use system restore if it doesn't play well with something else...

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
Nope.....

simple solution: first open with Windows Live Movie Maker. Save with movie maker, then open with Premiere. Works for me.

My oldest #11 doesn't work properly anymore. Battery was bad already but now video has strange colors where white should be recorded
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:33 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
My oldest #11 doesn't work properly anymore. Battery was bad already but now video has strange colors where white should be recorded
I`ve seen some posts saying the same thing. Battery has got bad.
How many times have you charged the battery, how many cycles?

At least my two cameras, with just a few cycles, run OK so far.
I do not let the battery go off and I charge it only in charging mode (red light). I mean I do not try to charge the battery at mass storage mode (yellow light) and I never leave it in this mode for more than a few minutes.
In fact I don`t know if the battery is charged at mass storage mode.
My old #3 cameras still run with the same battery performance. I think the #11 should not differ, except if there are some #11, a batch of them, with a bad battery quality or it is just a matter of use.

I`m interested on this.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:01 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Mine did that ONCE, but using the USB connection process outlined in the FAQs revived it, and I has flashed in firmware at least a dozen or more times since then with no issues. The Rel2 firmware does take a bit longer to flash in, though... 11 to 12 secs. for the yellow LED to come on in my last one. Good luck. I'd keep trying it.

Later today it worked out just fine. I think that the camera just needed a little break
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
I`ve seen some posts saying the same thing. Battery has got bad.
How many times have you charged the battery, how many cycles?
Don't know but it doesn't get to 100 cycles.

But battery power isn't the problem since I use a custom USB cable to power the camera when recording.

Bad video results is the problem and also it doesn't want to record at some times. uSD card has lots of empty space and is inserted but the camera some/many times doesn't want to record. When is doesn't want to record, orange LED lights up but that's it. Normally it will flash once befor it's ready for recording.
Also, when no uSD-cars is inserted, the yellow LED lightens up instead of blinking continuously.
Mass Storage doesn't work also. Powering with normal USB cable is also a problem. Many times the cable doesn't connect too well since the red LED goes on or off depending on the position of the inserted USB plug.

Mass storage not working: don't care
Bad battery (just 12 minutes recording): don't care

do care about bad video recording or no recording at all.

One can't expect miracles for about $40. The camera is a lot of fun and image qualitiy is really good compared to the rediculous low price for an HD camera but I'm thinking about getting a real HD camera like VRhold Contour HD/GPS/+ or GoPro Hero.
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:51 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
But battery power isn't the problem since I use a custom USB cable to power the camera when recording.
What voltage do you supply the camera with?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:37 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Don't know but it doesn't get to 100 cycles.

Bad video results is the problem and also it doesn't want to record at some times. uSD card has lots of empty space and is inserted but the camera some/many times doesn't want to record. When is doesn't want to record, orange LED lights up but that's it. Normally it will flash once befor it's ready for recording.
Also, when no uSD-cars is inserted, the yellow LED lightens up instead of blinking continuously.
Mass Storage doesn't work also. Powering with normal USB cable is also a problem. Many times the cable doesn't connect too well since the red LED goes on or off depending on the position of the inserted USB plug.

Mass storage not working: don't care
Bad battery (just 12 minutes recording): don't care

do care about bad video recording or no recording at all.

One can't expect miracles for about $40. The camera is a lot of fun and image qualitiy is really good compared to the rediculous low price for an HD camera but I'm thinking about getting a real HD camera like VRhold Contour HD/GPS/+ or GoPro Hero.
Yeah, must say that VRhold Contour HD/GPS/+ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...HD_Helmet.html seems a good choice. It's barrel design is much better for RC and it is about 20 gram lighter than the GoPro

Must take a look at the AP section here and see what they have to say about it.

Kev
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:42 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
Quote:

Kev
Nope, not a sign of it. Only some bloke called Berkie yapping about it on The Real #11 thread

Kev
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:04 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I received my two jumbo #11 cameras today (500ma batteries) These things are light and not much larger than the 250ma versions. I intend to imbed into the wing tips of the Radian Pro, one facing down the wingline toward the fuse, and the other on the opposite wing facing forward.

Using this and a Canmore GPS logger so I can retire the Contour GPS camera. Two for the weight of one, and cheaper.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:10 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, must say that VRhold Contour HD/GPS/+ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...HD_Helmet.html seems a good choice. It's barrel design is much better for RC and it is about 20 gram lighter than the GoPro

Kev
I've been using the contour gps cam for a while now. I don't use the 1080p mode due to the distortion and short battery life. At 720 p with gps on it will run for about 80 minutes. Shoots really nice quality video but it is heavy relative to the #11+ a gps logger.
I posted some of the videos on my blog, but they are not much, if any, difference from the #11. That's why I will be giving the Jumbo #11's a try.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:37 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
Good idea!

Instead of paying out all that money on a Contour, get 2 #11's for a 2 cam coverage and the picture is still much the same quality as the Contour

What is your application for the Canmore? Just to record the flight path?

Also with your 2 cam setup, how do you find editing in the 2 sources?

Kev
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:31 AM
Nederland, Gelderland, Meteren
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
I'm still looking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesvR View Post
Has somebody a broken #11 cam laying around, I'm looking for a new lens, because mine has a scratch on it. Don't ask me how i have done that.

I've tried a lens from a #3 cam but it's to small.

If you have one send me a PM.
KeesvR is offline Find More Posts by KeesvR
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:43 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
So here's my first HD video, well nearly HD. It's limited by my 'ancient' 2GHz WinXP machine. I used 2 passes with AVC to convert to mpeg2, then edited it with MEP10. It was a lot smoother before uploading to Vimeo but still better that my old camera. I'm not too concerned about the small dark patch bottom left and understand that the colour changes are fairly normal.
Easy Star near Dover (3 min 35 sec)

Perhaps with the limitations of my system, I'd do better with a direct H264 editor. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'd even fork out a few quid of my paltry pension for something that works.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:48 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
Is that the #11 camera?
I would certainly not think those colour changes normal for a #11

Kev
Old Jul 03, 2011, 03:05 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
927 Posts
Took my night flying slow stick with HD 808 to my sister's family 4th of July party. Enjoy!

Kirk's 45th Annual Independence Day Party (2 min 17 sec)
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Jul 03, 2011, 05:01 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Is that the #11 camera?

Kev
Thanks Kev, I certainly hope it is. It's from hxelpro360 and is the one to the left of the 'original' pictured in post#2. I think I have bigger problems than that with editing etc. I'll just keep trying till I get it right.

Mike.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:32 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Good idea!

Instead of paying out all that money on a Contour, get 2 #11's for a 2 cam coverage and the picture is still much the same quality as the Contour

What is your application for the Canmore? Just to record the flight path?

Also with your 2 cam setup, how do you find editing in the 2 sources?

Kev
I have the Dashboard software, which puts gauges on the video using gps data. So the canmore is to gather the gps data. It's actually more reliable than the contour gps IMHO.

BTW, I just weighed the two jumbos plus the canmore vs the contour.
The contour is 5.2oz+4oz weights in tail for cg=5.6oz
The 2 Jumbos.9 oz ea.+Canmore 1.2 oz = 3.0oz. No need for weights because the cameras will be on wingtips near the cg.
And the price is about $200.00 cheaper.

Not sure how I will edit the video yet. Haven't shot any with the jumbos yet, just charged them overnight and need to pick up some micro sd's today. I don't like spending a lot of time editing, so I will probably just run each of the videos through Dashboard and upload to youtube like that. I guess you can watch them side by side in separate windows if you want by letting it load fully then starting simultaneously.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 03, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Which Canmore GPS logger do you use? I didn't realize they were compatible with the Dashboard software. Sounds fun!
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:22 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Which Canmore GPS logger do you use? I didn't realize they were compatible with the Dashboard software. Sounds fun!
Check on this blog, near the bottom. It has one drawback....does not account for geoid correction so I have to run the gps log through another program to account for geoid, otherwise it shows me below sea level.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll look into one later, and probably have questions if I get one...
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Is that the #11 camera?

Kev
There is still a problem with saturation and white balance with the latest #11 firmware... read about this in the FAQs. it's on a list of highly desired firmware tweaks give to the developer. It's most troublesome when the exposure level goes from bright to subdued, such as when the horizon bobs up and down in an aerial video flight.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
So here's my first HD video, well nearly HD. It's limited by my 'ancient' 2GHz WinXP machine. I used 2 passes with AVC to convert to mpeg2, then edited it with MEP10. It was a lot smoother before uploading to Vimeo but still better that my old camera. I'm not too concerned about the small dark patch bottom left and understand that the colour changes are fairly normal.
http://vimeo.com/25909491

Perhaps with the limitations of my system, I'd do better with a direct H264 editor. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'd even fork out a few quid of my paltry pension for something that works.
Have you checked the editing tips in the FAQs post #3. The free AVIdemux editor will load and edit the native .MOV video, trim/clip out unwanted sections, re-encode to many different formats (includinh H.264/MP4), or even do direct copy of the original video/audio streams with no re-encoding (VERY fast) if you don't need any of the filters to tweak colors, invert/sharpen the image, etc.

<EDIT> Did you intentionally reduce the frame size from the native 1280x720 frame size down to 720x576... kind of defeats the advantage of the HD recording? <EDIT>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 03, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 04:46 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
328 Posts
Quote:
I see someone said nope?

I'm surprised if that is the case because Adobe Premiere Elements can and I thought it was a much slimmed down version? I use Elements 4.0 and it opens them no problem. I have Prem Pro as well but it's no longer installed onj my pc as Elements does much the same stuff as is MUCH simpler to use.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Jul 03, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
422 Posts
My first attempt at editing #11 HD with VideoStudio Pro x4.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7lCnowoiivg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:39 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I have the Dashboard software, which puts gauges on the video using gps data. So the canmore is to gather the gps data. It's actually more reliable than the contour gps IMHO.

BTW, I just weighed the two jumbos plus the canmore vs the contour.
The contour is 5.2oz+4oz weights in tail for cg=5.6oz
The 2 Jumbos.9 oz ea.+Canmore 1.2 oz = 3.0oz. No need for weights because the cameras will be on wingtips near the cg.
And the price is about $200.00 cheaper.

Not sure how I will edit the video yet. Haven't shot any with the jumbos yet, just charged them overnight and need to pick up some micro sd's today. I don't like spending a lot of time editing, so I will probably just run each of the videos through Dashboard and upload to youtube like that. I guess you can watch them side by side in separate windows if you want by letting it load fully then starting simultaneously.
Hmmmm. Even lighter eh? I must have a look at Dashboard too.
I can undestand you not wanting to spend much time editing. I'm a retired video producer, and found editing a bit of a pain. I was curious about how the latest editing apps handle combining the 2 streams, hoping it might be quite easy now.

If it can be done without much hassle it really boosts your viewer response you will find. That's why you see so many camera angles in sports coverage.

Kev
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:54 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Frank;18663848]Have you checked the editing tips in the FAQs post #3. The free AVIdemux editor will load and edit the native .MOV video, trim/clip out unwanted sections, re-encode to many different formats (includinh H.264/MP4), or even do direct copy of the original video/audio streams with no re-encoding (VERY fast) if you don't need any of the filters to tweak colors, invert/sharpen the image, etc.

Thanks for that reminder Tom. Have downloaded it.

Kev
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Hmmmm. Even lighter eh? I must have a look at Dashboard too.
I can undestand you not wanting to spend much time editing. I'm a retired video producer, and found editing a bit of a pain. I was curious about how the latest editing apps handle combining the 2 streams, hoping it might be quite easy now.

If it can be done without much hassle it really boosts your viewer response you will find. That's why you see so many camera angles in sports coverage.

Kev
Fairly inexpensive editors (e.g. MAGIX Movie Edit Pro17+ for about $70) can edit more tracks than anyone here would ever need. And a special multicam mode allows two tracks (user selectable and changeable) to be switched back and forth in the main output track by simply clicking on their thumbnails when you want the switch to occur. No cutting/pasting of individual clips needed! And the audio with each clip will follow along with it if you want, or a single audio track can be locked in no matter which clip is current in the frame as an alternative. Can't get much easier than that.

For a simple free solution, a simple click on an Avisynth plain text script file icon can grab two clips (named clip1.avi and clip2.avi), reduce them to 1/2 size, combine them for simultaneous playback in a full sized frame, and output that video video stream into an editor (i.e. VirtualDub) for final editing and output to final playback form. For example, here's the simple script text that directs Avisynth to place the two clips side-by-side:
StackHorizontal(reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip1. avi")), reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip2.avi")))
AddBorders(0,180,0,180)
And this one will stack the two videos vertically:
StackVertical(reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip1.av i")), reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip2.avi")))
AddBorders(320,0,320,0)
Attached are two sample frame grabs of the combined videos (both of which play back normal in their reduced frame areas)... pretty powerful stuff for only having to click an icon once the tools are in place on your PC!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:08 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Fairly inexpensive editors (e.g. MAGIX Movie Edit Pro17+ for about $70) can edit more tracks than anyone here would ever need. And a special multicam mode allows two tracks (user selectable and changeable) to be switched back and forth in the main output track by simply clicking on their thumbnails when you want the switch to occur. No cutting/pasting of individual clips needed! And the audio with each clip will follow along with it if you want, or a single audio track can be locked in no matter which clip is current in the frame as an alternative. Can't get much easier than that.

For a simple free solution, a simple click on an Avisynth plain text script file icon can grab two clips (named clip1.avi and clip2.avi), reduce them to 1/2 size, combine them for simultaneous playback in a full sized frame, and output that video video stream into an editor (i.e. VirtualDub) for final editing and output to final playback form. For example, here's the simple script text that directs Avisynth to place the two clips side-by-side:
StackHorizontal(reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip1. avi")), reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip2.avi")))
AddBorders(0,180,0,180)
And this one will stack the two videos vertically:
StackVertical(reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip1.av i")), reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip2.avi")))
AddBorders(320,0,320,0)
Attached are two sample frame grabs of the combined videos (both of which play back normal in their reduced frame areas)... pretty powerful stuff for only having to click an icon once the tools are in place on your PC!
Nice!
I may have to try that. I did see someone had a pic in pic that he could switch back and forth. That's another option.

I tested my two jumbos today on the Radian Pro. The cams are just taped in for the moment, but I plan to do some cf reinforcing for all the foam I cut out of the wing. The footage from the one facing the plane is awesome. I will need to adjust the mount for the forward facing cam, it's aiming too high and getting too much sky. Will remove also timestamp when time permits.

I am having trouble getting dashboard to load the raw video. It says wrong file type but is supposed to open .mov files. Confusing, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks a million for all the great resources and advice here Tom...and others too.

I am extremely happy with these cameras.
First Keycam Test (3 min 23 sec)
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:31 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
Oooooh that IS interesting Tom.
If you can do all that it is certainly worth $70!

That is just what you need for a 2 cam mix. You can't beat that continuous change of view. You have to keep the viewer interested, & that includes the pilot. I think I'll order one!

Too, so many videos are boring because there is too little change in terrain or flight pattern. Two cam compensates for this. But it has to be a very interesting video that non rc people will watch for more than 2 mins. An RC pilot though would probably hang in there longer.

Stability is another big factor. When the plane is rocking all over the place the viewer soon loses interest. I believe, for good video (unless you're on a quadrocopter) you should be on auto pilot

Kev
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Has anyone here dropped their camera and had it stop working? Just happened to mine, and having looked inside (I am clueless, admittedly about electronics) could find nothing wrong. The charging light still comes on, but otherwise the cam is dead

I might consider the ones with the bigger battery, but I think it's time the price dropped a little.
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:31 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Nice!
I may have to try that. I did see someone had a pic in pic that he could switch back and forth. That's another option.

I tested my two jumbos today on the Radian Pro. The cams are just taped in for the moment, but I plan to do some cf reinforcing for all the foam I cut out of the wing. The footage from the one facing the plane is awesome. I will need to adjust the mount for the forward facing cam, it's aiming too high and getting too much sky. Will remove also timestamp when time permits.

I am having trouble getting dashboard to load the raw video. It says wrong file type but is supposed to open .mov files. Confusing, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks a million for all the great resources and advice here Tom...and others too.

I am extremely happy with these cameras.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9LhFYsD4o4

Yeah, good Jumpy. That's a good view of and from the aircraft.

As a retired video producer, I am always in favour of showing the aircraft and more of it than just the nose. If you don't show the plane it could be anyone's video shot from some full sized aircraft. It's more interesting to know someone is flying a model plane at the same time as capturing a video.

If we want to make interesting aerial videos (and you may well say hell no I just want some footage of my flight) to show our friends or other RC pilots then we need say to ourselves "I am going to think this through first and make it an interesting video"

So in your case I would first climb up and give them a good over view of the area first (establishes "w.t.f. am I) then come down to about half height & refly the circuit again. Next pick out parts already seen from the higher levels and go in low so one can see now in detail. Viewer thinks :aha, this what I saw before, and now I can see it in more detail.
Then what you have done at the end is perfect - it is a completely different view of you circling overhead. Increases the interest level. As well you have shown a good landing (the end). All videos must have a start, middle and end i.e. always show take-off. flight, landing.

Kev
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:13 AM
Joined Sep 2009
422 Posts
Quote:
My first attempt at editing #11 HD with VideoStudio Pro x4.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7lCnowoiivg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Well I guess the embedding did not work so here is another try and a link to the video:-

Wings Over Warkworth Castle. (10 min 0 sec)

Bill
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:32 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:

As a retired video producer, I am always in favour of showing the aircraft and more of it than just the nose. If you don't show the plane it could be anyone's video shot from some full sized aircraft. It's more interesting to know someone is flying a model plane at the same time as capturing a video.

If we want to make interesting aerial videos (and you may well say hell no I just want some footage of my flight) to show our friends or other RC pilots then we need say to ourselves "I am going to think this through first and make it an interesting video"

So in your case I would first climb up and give them a good over view of the area first (establishes "w.t.f. am I) then come down to about half height & refly the circuit again. Next pick out parts already seen from the higher levels and go in low so one can see now in detail. Viewer thinks :aha, this what I saw before, and now I can see it in more detail.

Then what you have done at the end is perfect - it is a completely different view of you circling overhead. Increases the interest level. As well you have shown a good landing (the end). All videos must have a start, middle and end i.e. always show take-off. flight, landing.

Kev
Thanks for the great advice Berkie.

I shot about 35 minutes of footage, about 6 up and down flights. No thermals as it was late in the day the afternoon showers had just passed. I have some looping footage and some better footage of circling over my head (the trick is keeping a point on the ground stationary), but this flight was a good compromise for a short clip. I'm really hoping to shoot some long thermal flights (ideally with hawks). Haven't seen any online of a whole flight from start to finish.

I really need to work on flying technique and keeping the video smooth and fluid. That's easier with sailplanes, and how they should be flown anyway.

Your critique is appreciated and welcome. Please chime in with your advice any time on my facebook page or my blog here. I'm getting really interested in this perspective and expert guidance can only help.

Thanks,
JS
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:01 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Have you checked the editing tips in the FAQs post #3. The free AVIdemux editor will load and edit the native .MOV video, trim/clip out unwanted sections, re-encode to many different formats (includinh H.264/MP4), or even do direct copy of the original video/audio streams with no re-encoding (VERY fast) if you don't need any of the filters to tweak colors, invert/sharpen the image, etc.

<EDIT> Did you intentionally reduce the frame size from the native 1280x720 frame size down to 720x576... kind of defeats the advantage of the HD recording? <EDIT>
Hi Tom,
I have tried (and am still trying) AVIdemux and it does all I need but I can't get it to save. I've read several help pages to no avail. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong but I will get it right eventually.
I had to reduce the frame because I was using AVC and MEP. I've started saving my pennies / cents? to upgrade my ancient PC which should solve all problems - well, not all unless I can buy an upgraded brain!
Mike.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:

Kev
Great tips, Berkie... something I had thought of mentioning once, but never got around to it.

Things we frequently see that if simply trimmed/edited out or eliminated by good camera mounting can make a video much more enjoyable to watch:
  • The dinking around before the flight getting the battery hooked up, checking controls, walking to the flight line etc. etc. The video should begin as the plane is starting it's takeoff.
  • Ditto for the dinking around at the end retrieving the plane, disconnecting power, etc.
  • Long climbouts at high power levels, showing nothing but sky
  • Redundant circles of the flying area showing the exact same thing as the first circuit
  • Rough air buffeting or wildly panning video that is hard viewing
  • Video shot through a rotating prop with a CMOS camera ("venetian blind" effect)
  • Video shot with a lot of camera vibration ("jello effect" with a CMOS camera )
  • MOTOR SOUND. If you don't mute it all together, at least reduce the volume to a very low background sound. Nothing more annoying than starting a video and have the cones blow out of my speakers when the motor throttles up.
  • Overly long video. Limit to 4 min. max., and 3 min. preferred.
I know many don't like to do ANY editing, but even simple free editors can do all these things, and it doesn't take long to do it once you use the editor a few times to get used to the feature controls.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 05, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:16 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,477 Posts
Guys,

will the time stamp removal trick also work with the older 640x480 keychain camera ? it worked easy enough on my new 808 #11
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Last edited by i3dm; Jul 04, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tom,
I have tried (and am still trying) AVIdemux and it does all I need but I can't get it to save. I've read several help pages to no avail. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong but I will get it right eventually.
I had to reduce the frame because I was using AVC and MEP. I've started saving my pennies / cents? to upgrade my ancient PC which should solve all problems - well, not all unless I can buy an upgraded brain!
Mike.
Can you be more specific about "can't get it to save"? Clicking the "file/save/save video" menu option will output the video to the folder and file name you specify when the output requestor pops up. Are you saying nothing gets saved, you can't find the file, or what?

There might be some easier ways to do your editing and keep the full frame size. What all do you need to do during your edits?
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Guys,

i just got a new 808 #11 camera, whats the easiest way to remove the time stamp without risking anything ?
See the FAQ's link in post #3 for this. Follow the instructions EXACTLY and the risk is very miniscule.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Oooooh that IS interesting Tom.
If you can do all that it is certainly worth $70!

That is just what you need for a 2 cam mix. You can't beat that continuous change of view. You have to keep the viewer interested, & that includes the pilot. I think I'll order one!
Kev
Kev, you can download the program and try it (fully functional!)for free for 2 weeks (and can extend another two weeks, I think). Then if it is something you want, you can buy it on liine at a major discount.

MEP17+ can do SOOOOoooo many things with both video and audio... I barely have used it's power. One of the things I am getting fine tuned is using a vignetting filter to brighten the darkened corners and edges the #11 cameras have. Each camera has it's own vignetting pattern, and you can make the filter mask with the camera so its a perfect match. Then MEP can use the mask to not only correct the brightness in the darkened areas, but also the contrast, gamma and individual RGB intensities to virtually wipe out the vignetting effects! The only thing that makes it more difficult is that the cameras vigentting effects changes with the exposure level of the video. So the necessary mask to give best image correction throughout an entire video usually changes as well. So one mask may not be the best in all scenes. Bright sunny days need a different mask that darker overcast days, for example. But this mask correction can VERY visibly improve the poor lens quality in the #11.

Anyway, download it from here and take a look. Make sure you get the MEP17 PLUS version, not just MEP17. With your background, you might want to also look at the VideoPro X3 editor if you have lots os $$$$
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Guys,

will the time stamp removal trick also work with the older 640x480 keychain camera ? it worked easy enough on my new 808 #11
It's not a trick... it's a firmware change. If you read the first couple of posts, you saw the #11 is totally different camera from the other lower resolution 808 cameras, with the ONLY similarity being the case! That's why this thread was started in the first place... it's a different animal!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzen View Post
Has anyone here dropped their camera and had it stop working? Just happened to mine, and having looked inside (I am clueless, admittedly about electronics) could find nothing wrong. The charging light still comes on, but otherwise the cam is dead

I might consider the ones with the bigger battery, but I think it's time the price dropped a little.
Did the flash memory card pop out? But that would just cause the yellow LED to flash when you power it up, and you say its dead, so I guess that means no yellow LED at all?

p.s. You may have a long wait for any price drop!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Well I guess the embedding did not work so here is another try and a link to the video:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lCnowoiivg

Bill
That's some really nice subject video you had to work with, Bill. You have a good editor to work with as well. Nicely done. See some of the tips posted right after your video post for ways to make the video even more enjoyable to watch by trimming it down a bit.

Please show some more of your flight video here!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Did the flash memory card pop out? But that would just cause the yellow LED to flash when you power it up, and you say its dead, so I guess that means no yellow LED at all?

p.s. You may have a long wait for any price drop!

Thanks for the response Tom. The card didn't pop out.. actually what happened was, when I retrieved the cam after it fell (a couple feet) to the floor, the yellow standby LED remained persistently on. I had to do an extra long power button press to get it to shut off.

After that, it just wouldn't come back on. Tried resetting multiple times, opened it to see if the plastic buttons were broken inside... nada. The battery wire connections seem fine.

About the price: you may be right. But it's really not all that much more expensive to manufacture than the #3?

It would be a good marketing strategy for the sellers to experiment with a price drop of say $10 - I'm sure it would result in a healthy spike in sales. Heck do a 4th of July special or something!
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:34 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Can you be more specific about "can't get it to save"? Clicking the "file/save/save video" menu option will output the video to the folder and file name you specify when the output requestor pops up. Are you saying nothing gets saved, you can't find the file, or what?

There might be some easier ways to do your editing and keep the full frame size. What all do you need to do during your edits?
My problem seems to be finding the correct video, audio and format settings and the right file type to save as. I've just managed to edit/cut and save a short, 1min test video using mpeg4-avc, mp3(lame) and mp4, saving as a .mpg. the result was good but playback with VLC was a bit jerky with 900 lost frames. I configured the video as Average bitrate 4000, 2pass, macroblock-tree rate control on and 40 frame lookahead, most of which may as well be in Chinese for me
If you can suggest some better settings, I'd be eternally grateful. Once I have the basics, I can play with any additional features later. I'm not bothered by the time it may take to process, I sleep a solid 7 hours most nights
My 'ancient' PC runs WinXP SP3 at 2.1GHz with 2GHz of RAM if that's any help.
Cheers,
Mike
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzen View Post
Thanks for the response Tom. The card didn't pop out.. actually what happened was, when I retrieved the cam after it fell (a couple feet) to the floor, the yellow standby LED remained persistently on. I had to do an extra long power button press to get it to shut off.

After that, it just wouldn't come back on. Tried resetting multiple times, opened it to see if the plastic buttons were broken inside... nada. The battery wire connections seem fine.

About the price: you may be right. But it's really not all that much more expensive to manufacture than the #3?

It would be a good marketing strategy for the sellers to experiment with a price drop of say $10 - I'm sure it would result in a healthy spike in sales. Heck do a 4th of July special or something!
Try connecting to the PC USB port, pushing the reset button, etc. Maybe even do to firmware flash or battery disconnect if all else fails. Whatever you do, don't trash-can it. I gladly accept all dead #11s for spare parts!

The #11 has a pretty sophisticated video processor in it... much more capable than the old 808s. I don't know what it costs, but I'm sure it's more than the old 808's. The #11 is priced more for what it can do than what the manufacturing costs are, and there's a couple others (not nearly as good) now being marketed at similar price point to the #11, so the competition isn't driving prices down yet. MAybe one day.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:54 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Help ! - in need a camera module

Hi everone

I'm working on a really useful manual-focus modification for #11 808 cameras.
The mod will allow you to focus the camera accurately from approx 3ft to 'infinity and beyond' at will, without having to dissasemble it.

With RC flight video especially in mind, it will allow the user to tweak the 'distance' resolution for optimal picture quality and sharpness, as well as letting you set the best focus for close-up video.

BUT, I have a big problem - with all the physical work on the camera, the ribbon cable of the C971P cmos module has cracked, breaking tracks - not good.

So, I need a replacement module for it. Can anyone help please ?

Many thanks in advance, Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Sep 2009
422 Posts
Quote:
That's some really nice subject video you had to work with, Bill. You have a good editor to work with as well. Nicely done. See some of the tips posted right after your video post for ways to make the video even more enjoyable to watch by trimming it down a bit.

Please show some more of your flight video here!
Thanks Tom I will post more as I proceed, I am enjoying my new #11 to the full and hopefully the firmware guys will manage to get the colour problem sorted for us. The tips were handy too as I did read them and any more information in this area would be very welcome.

Bill
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:00 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Maybe is good if you show us some pictures...
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Jumbo #11 is here , and opened

Got the "Jumbo" #11 today . packed in sealed antistatic.
Shipped registered with #tracking
need to align the lens a tiny bit with the body..

* certainly not same PCB as you can see.
* works as #11 as far as I can tell
* records and charges with regular USB.
* The car lighter Adapter is cute . small with USB connector , no fixed cable but 2-wire charging cable is provided, AND regular USB cable for Data to PC.
* BMW "fat" sticker

I want/need to compare movie and stills to older #11.

suggestions questions welcome
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post

So, I need a replacement module for it. Can anyone help please ?

Many thanks in advance, Richard
I chat on MSN with one seller. I'll ask what can they do. the boss could be a problem . I'll post results
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
My problem seems to be finding the correct video, audio and format settings and the right file type to save as. I've just managed to edit/cut and save a short, 1min test video using mpeg4-avc, mp3(lame) and mp4, saving as a .mpg. the result was good but playback with VLC was a bit jerky with 900 lost frames. I configured the video as Average bitrate 4000, 2pass, macroblock-tree rate control on and 40 frame lookahead, most of which may as well be in Chinese for me
If you can suggest some better settings, I'd be eternally grateful. Once I have the basics, I can play with any additional features later. I'm not bothered by the time it may take to process, I sleep a solid 7 hours most nights
My 'ancient' PC runs WinXP SP3 at 2.1GHz with 2GHz of RAM if that's any help.
Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

If you only need to trim the clips, there is no need to also re-encode it unless your PC is not capable of decoding the native video. Can you play the native video .mov files on your PC smoothly using the VLC player?

If so, you should be able to simply load the .mov file into AviDemux, trim it as desired, then in the main Avidemux window left side, set:
  • Video to "copy"
  • Audio to "MP3 (lame)"
  • Format to either MP4 or AVI
This will directly copy the video stream with it's native 1280x720p frame size with the original H.264/AVC1 video codec and bitrate to the new container format, re-encoding only the audio stream, which is necessary for these two file containers, but it goes very fast.

I can play back either the .avi or .mp4 with the VLC player, but for an unknown reason, my W7 WMP does not play the video stream afterwards in the .avi container, but it does in the .mp4 container.

Anyway, try this and let me know how it goes. The .avi format should be loadable into just about any editor.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:42 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,985 Posts
Some video of the AXN Floater-Jet this weekend out at the cottage in Summerside PEI.
Recorded with HD Keychain cam attached just behind the canopy. Video compiled in iMovie from two different flights the same day.

Locke Shore Summerside PEI - AXN Floater-Jet Flights (6 min 7 sec)
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:42 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
I chat on MSN with one seller. I'll ask what can they do. the boss could be a problem . I'll post results
Thank you very much - I'll keep my fingers crossed

The camera board itself is absolutely fine, minus it's cmos module :

Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:25 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post

Got the "Jumbo" #11 today . packed in sealed antistatic.
Shipped registered with #tracking
need to align the lens a tiny bit with the body..

* certainly not same PCB as you can see.
* works as #11 as far as I can tell
* records and charges with regular USB.
* The car lighter Adapter is cute . small with USB connector , no fixed cable but 2-wire charging cable is provided, AND regular USB cable for Data to PC.
* BMW "fat" sticker

I want/need to compare movie and stills to older #11.

suggestions questions welcome
Thanks for the pictures of the internals. That means I can resist the temptation to open up mine.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:31 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike,

If you only need to trim the clips, there is no need to also re-encode it unless your PC is not capable of decoding the native video. Can you play the native video .mov files on your PC smoothly using the VLC player?

If so, you should be able to simply load the .mov file into AviDemux, trim it as desired, then in the main Avidemux window left side, set:
  • Video to "copy"
  • Audio to "MP3 (lame)"
  • Format to either MP4 or AVI
This will directly copy the video stream with it's native 1280x720p frame size with the original H.264/AVC1 video codec and bitrate to the new container format, re-encoding only the audio stream, which is necessary for these two file containers, but it goes very fast.

I can play back either the .avi or .mp4 with the VLC player, but for an unknown reason, my W7 WMP does not play the video stream afterwards in the .avi container, but it does in the .mp4 container.

Anyway, try this and let me know how it goes. The .avi format should be loadable into just about any editor.
Thanks again Tom. That's exactly what I needed. The original plays fine in VLC so all should be well. I hope to get some video of what was RAF Hawkinge in the morning and should be able to post the results later.
Mike
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:51 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the pictures of the internals. That means I can resist the temptation to open up mine.
The battery charges really quickly!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:31 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,285 Posts
I had problems with my #11 several pages back (the PC wouldn't see the camera). I sent it back to China twice - the first time the Post Office wouldn't take it because it was labeled 'camera.'

My vendor told me today they'd received it and would be shipping me a new one. Yay.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:57 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
I like the looks of the new larger ones... One thing I see in those pictures is that the placement of the mic should help with wind noise!
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:27 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
Thank you very much - I'll keep my fingers crossed

The camera board itself is absolutely fine, minus it's cmos module :

Richard
Email digitalele999@gmail.com, with the pic and model etc.
She says she will do her best to help you
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:08 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
I like the looks of the new larger ones... One thing I see in those pictures is that the placement of the mic should help with wind noise!
the mic seems highly sensitive still, though wind noise from itself won't happen , the body will create noise. Am actually thinking in "dressing" its body too..

I think you guys miss the point : the knob and the key can be easily replaced , they are just "inserted in slot" , so can be replaced with "addon"s .
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:12 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
328 Posts
Fish eye lenses.

I have searched and researched this thread and come up with three variations of fisheye. A YouTube review says this one http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-de...-cameras-39814 comes out well, but it has a 15 mm OD magnetic mount and my 0.67 mount is only 13mm. (The reviewer mistakenly says they are the same size?) There is also this one http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fe-50-1...-cameras-15239 which has a 13mm mount, but didn't do as well in the YouTube review. (Though may have been as much to do with the camera he had the lense mounted on?) And this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Has anyone got experience of the latter two lenses. Like I say I have searched the thread and can't find any test video with either of these lenses. Ta very much!
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:16 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Sep 2006
70 Posts
hi, just bought the #11, and i've seen it is hot during the use (not charging but while filming) is it normal?
thanks
fabryd is offline Find More Posts by fabryd
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:32 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Here is an update on my #11. I bought in December 2010. The battery now depletes in less than 20 minutes of use. Oh well, I can either buy another camera, solder in a new one, or keep complaining.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:43 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here is an update on my #11. I bought in December 2010. The battery now depletes in less than 20 minutes of use. Oh well, I can either buy another camera, solder in a new one, or keep complaining.
Don't think my battery ever lasted much more than 20 mins from day 1.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:57 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,143 Posts
If you were running it as a car cam I presume the battery would remain charged if it is left connected via the car charger into the cigarette lighter socket?

Kev
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:58 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Fourth of July Night Flight With 808HD #11

Thought you guys might find this interesting... this is a great look into just exactly how well the 808HD #11 responds to low light, with a nice picture in picture comparison with my KPC700DNR FPV camera. Frankly, I love what the keycam did for the city lights, looks really beautiful. Hard to spot the scattered fireworks activity but that's due to the distance and not the fault of the camera. And speaking of cameras, didn't that KPC do a fantastic job in the fading light? Wow, I was way impressed. :-)

EasyStar FPV 7-4-11: Fourth Of July Night Flight Flown With DragonLink! (12 min 35 sec)

Anyway, enjoy! :-)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:38 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
I use it as hat cam.

QUOTE=Berkie;18676990]If you were running it as a car cam I presume the battery would remain charged if it is left connected via the car charger into the cigarette lighter socket?

Kev[/QUOTE]
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:54 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Tom, and Kev
I have used it now for 6 months and really like MEP 17 + and thir support staff a lot .. I don't use the fancy stuff in it.. but the work flow from start to YT Post is quick and easy now. I clip out a lot of stuff, and it keeps the sound and video in sync well.. simply Dragging an overlap between clips instantly fades the two in a blend that is just fine..etc.. I saw it at Fry's again the other day with a $50 off coupon but I doubt there are Fry's Electronics stores in AU..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429419

for more info..on it and a couple others.
Regards, JimS

Quote:
Kev, you can download the program and try it (fully functional!)for free for 2 weeks (and can extend another two weeks, I think). Then if it is something you want, you can buy it on liine at a major discount.

MEP17+ can do SOOOOoooo many things with both video and audio... I barely have used it's power. One of the things I am getting fine tuned is using a vignetting filter to brighten the darkened corners and edges the #11 cameras have. Each camera has it's own vignetting pattern, and you can make the filter mask with the camera so its a perfect match. Then MEP can use the mask to not only correct the brightness in the darkened areas, but also the contrast, gamma and individual RGB intensities to virtually wipe out the vignetting effects! The only thing that makes it more difficult is that the cameras vigentting effects changes with the exposure level of the video. So the necessary mask to give best image correction throughout an entire video usually changes as well. So one mask may not be the best in all scenes. Bright sunny days need a different mask that darker overcast days, for example. But this mask correction can VERY visibly improve the poor lens quality in the #11.

Anyway, download it from here and take a look. Make sure you get the MEP17 PLUS version, not just MEP17. With your background, you might want to also look at the VideoPro X3 editor if you have lots os $$$$
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:08 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
My #11 velcro'd to the underside (flipped 180 in QuickTime) of my cap has become a good learning tool. Here's a screen grab from some recent landing practice.

To become a better instructional tool, I need to add the cockpit audio and look into more battery life. 40 minutes of battery only records about half the lesson. I'm working on those additions this week.

More to follow. Great camera, great thread. Thanks! Tony
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
hi all

I've made cheap&small gimbal from 5$ HK pantilt L-size and two Hextronik MG servos.
whole gimbal with the keychain weights approx 50g.

Let me show you my balls ;) (2 min 57 sec)

FPV Egg on vacation (13 min 9 sec)
cholo is offline Find More Posts by cholo
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:17 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo View Post
hi all

I've made cheap&small gimbal from 5$ HK pantilt L-size and two Hextronik MG servos.
whole gimbal with the keychain weights approx 50g.
Nice video and music!
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:19 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Getting closer to what I want with this one. Still working on smoothing of flight technique, and waiting for that big, long duration thermal flight. Still need to remove timestamp. Forgot to null out the sound so......

******BE SURE TO TURN DOWN THE VOLUME!*******

Wingcam 1 Flight4 (5 min 34 sec)
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:31 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabryd View Post
hi, just bought the #11, and i've seen it is hot during the use (not charging but while filming) is it normal?
thanks
Welcome to the thread. You'll notice in the thread title you'll find most all of your new-user questions have already been asked and answered. See the links in the FAQs in post #3.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:44 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
@JumpySticks how do you make "OSD" on #11 ?
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:58 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
Fish eye lenses.

I have searched and researched this thread and come up with three variations of fisheye. A YouTube review says this one http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-de...-cameras-39814 comes out well, but it has a 15 mm OD magnetic mount and my 0.67 mount is only 13mm. (The reviewer mistakenly says they are the same size?) There is also this one http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fe-50-1...-cameras-15239 which has a 13mm mount, but didn't do as well in the YouTube review. (Though may have been as much to do with the camera he had the lense mounted on?) And this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Has anyone got experience of the latter two lenses. Like I say I have searched the thread and can't find any test video with either of these lenses. Ta very much!
I have one of the so-called 15mm fisheye, the ID of the magnetic mount is 9.2mm, the OD of the mount is 12.8mm. Maybe the 15mm is the 35mm eguivalent.

Dealextreme Item# 39814

I use it on my ZxD, makes it like a GoPro. Probably too wide angle for a #11
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
MOV file repair utility

My #11 card slot no longer latches the card in... need to do some surgery to fix it, but I have been holding the card in place with some tape in the interim.

Yesterday I shot some AV and the tape slipped enough for the card to move and lose contact with the slot pins. As I feared, the video will not play, but the file icon does show up on the card when I open the folder with a size of 225 MB. So there's video data there if I can access it. The corrupted file is recognized as a MOV QT file by Gspot utility, but no file properties show up. I tried the CHKDSK /F DOS command "fix" as well as a file recovery program, and they don't find any problem with the file.

Maybe some of the MAC users in this thread know of a repair tool specifically for MOV files? Since I use Windows PC, I'd like to find a repair utility for that platform, but if only MAC utilities exist, maybe someone with a MAC would be willing to see if the file can be repaired?
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:26 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
@JumpySticks how do you make "OSD" on #11 ?
Dashware. It's got it's hiccups. Crashes often for me.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:22 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
maybe someone with a MAC would be willing to see if the file can be repaired?
I'm a Mac user with QuickTime Pro. I could take a look at, if you like. Tony Fletcher.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:38 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
I bought a 32G card and put it in cam and the cam froze up...I put card in adapter and tried it on pc and it froze pc...so the card must be defective...I flashed fw and the cam works now...Edit: my kid was testing my cards after pc froze so thats where the .h2w files I found came from...I thought it was my videos cuz files were 1G each...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Last edited by finster; Jul 06, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
My #11 card slot no longer latches the card in... need to do some surgery to fix it, but I have been holding the card in place with some tape in the interim.

Yesterday I shot some AV and the tape slipped enough for the card to move and lose contact with the slot pins. As I feared, the video will not play, but the file icon does show up on the card when I open the folder with a size of 225 MB. So there's video data there if I can access it. The corrupted file is recognized as a MOV QT file by Gspot utility, but no file properties show up. I tried the CHKDSK /F DOS command "fix" as well as a file recovery program, and they don't find any problem with the file.

Maybe some of the MAC users in this thread know of a repair tool specifically for MOV files? Since I use Windows PC, I'd like to find a repair utility for that platform, but if only MAC utilities exist, maybe someone with a MAC would be willing to see if the file can be repaired?
Tom, so far I succeed recovering the files by 2 PC software. The first one is standard windows CHKDSK, and the second one is "PC Inspector File Recovery", you can google it. Have you tried "CHKDSK /f /r" yet? It might help. (check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK)

More hints,: you can google for "SD card video recovery" of some similar phrases. You still have the last choice, sending your mini SD card to the recovery lab in germany, if the video is very important. Good luck recovering it

PS. any news for rev3 firmware?
TrafalgarLaw is offline Find More Posts by TrafalgarLaw
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:34 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Have no idea why but my time stamp reset itself back

New location for FPV (6 min 16 sec)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,071 Posts
Quick question on the flash cards. I'm thinking of getting one (or two) of these and see I need to also get a flash memory. One site said it requires a TF card. What's a TF card? Is that the same thing as a Micro card? I'm thinking so, but want to verify before purchasing anything. Thanks.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread