HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:52 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
... Even these are controversial, I suspect...
Tom,
it's your thread.. I'll respect your opinion .. but think you should put the Wish/Bug list up to a vote before dismissing the idea.. these are important goals, but, there are many other candidates that might be as viable perhaps as easy or much easier to do.. and they may get lost in the 4400 posts here.. Who am I to complain.. i do enjoy skimming thru looking for jems, now and then one will pop-up..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:33 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Tom,
it's your thread.. I'll respect your opinion .. but think you should put the Wish/Bug list up to a vote before dismissing the idea.. these are important goals, but, there are many other candidates that might be as viable perhaps as easy or much easier to do.. and they may get lost in the 4400 posts here.. Who am I to complain.. i do enjoy skimming thru looking for jems, now and then one will pop-up..
Voting is not permitted in a dictatorship!

If you want to draft a list and post it here, feel free. Others can let you know what they want on it. But for now, the video quality of the camera is THE most important issue, at least to me, and I will keep the two items I mentioned in the forefront in my communication with the vendors/developers while we still have their attention. They only have a limited amount of time and resources to devote to our whims.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Good in theory, Jim, but I don't think having a link to such a list is going to stop people from just popping in and blurting out their biggest "want", even though it is already on a linked list. That's pretty obvious right now with the questions that get asked over and over in spite of the FAQs and a big banner in the thread title.

But aside from that, some features that some want are not something desirable for aerial video purposes, which after all, is the topic of this forum and the focus of this thread. For example, the "rollover" recording function that will go back and overwrite the flash card when it fills up. This might be great for something like a driving recorder, but it's horrible for AV purposes, where you do not want to erase something you recorded previously and have not copied to your PC yet.

There are other examples like this since there are many who visit this thread only because it's about the #11 camera, not realizing this is a thread dedicated to RC aerial video. So a list asking for a features not useful or even harmful for AV would be off topic and divert a developer's effort away from more beneficial tweaks for the majority of the thread focus group.

And even if on topic, for those controversial items the developer would have to write two new firmware files... one to invoke the change and one to put it back (without disturbing other firmware tweaks). I don't think we can expect this kind of support for a $40 device sold on eBay. E.g. we don't have a firmware for turning ON the date stamp WITH continuous recording... something a minority might use, but from my perspective, a small minority.

The fact that we have an attentive developer who is listening to user feedback at all is highly unusual in itself, and I don't want to confuse or overwhelm them with a long list of wants that might discourage their efforts.

I have only two things that I think are really high priority that might be fixed with firmware that would benefit most all users, and they are:

1. Control the white balance to stop the shifting color tint as the exposure level changes.

2. Throttle back the color saturation so the colors look natural instead of overly vivid, and in extreme cases, almost cartoon-like.

These have been given to the developer, so for now I think that is enough for them to focus on. Even these are controversial, I suspect...
Hi Tom

I completely agree on your top two firmware upgrade proposals namely
1. Control the white balance to stop the shifting color tint as the exposure level changes.

2. Throttle back the color saturation so the colors look natural instead of overly vivid, and in extreme cases, almost cartoon-like.

In both these cases there is no easy post production method of solving these problems.
realpastaman is offline Find More Posts by realpastaman
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Iso - your utility looks great, but I don't have a #11 . Have you looked at 808setclock? The source code is also available for dowload. Just wondering if you might post your code?
I was aware of a similar program to support other cameras, but since I didn't need it, I hadn't looked any further. Thank you for posting the link. I took a quick look at the code and it is also written in C++. Mine, however, uses MFC, and you need at least the professional version of Visual Studio to compile it - something that most hobby programmers won't have because of the ~$1K price tag.

The program to which you linked appears to be a good universal program. My program is aimed specifically at the #11, so even the instructions wouldn't be 100% correct for other models. At present I have no plans to write a universal time setting program - maybe someone else has more interest and time to spare than I do.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:09 AM
utx
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
I have only two things that I think are really high priority that might be fixed with firmware that would benefit most all users, and they are:
I have one another:

3. Change USB behavior to work like other devices do: If USB handshake fails, don't switch to mass storage (or webcam) mode and stay in power+charge only mode.

This single change would fix the charging and car charging strangeness, need for dedicated pin 4 chargers and cables and would save several parts in the camera design.
utx is offline Find More Posts by utx
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Since the microphone on the printed circuit pictures is placed with a different orientation, try looking for a hole on the other surfaces of the camera that looks like it might be the camera hole.
Please let us know, eh?

Walt
These little electret mics are omnidirectional -- the orientation doesn't matter. Presumably the manufacturer has determined that no additional hole was required (since the case already has several).
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:

If you want to draft a list and post it here, feel free. Others can let you know what they want on it. But for now, the video quality of the camera is THE most important issue, at least to me, and I will keep the two items I mentioned in the forefront in my communication with the vendors/developers while we still have their attention. They only have a limited amount of time and resources to devote to our whims.
I'm on it..
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
78 Posts
Hi. My first post here. I'm a user of this #11 cam and reading this thread for a month but Tom inspired my with the list thing so here I go.

I would love to see this nice #11 camera do something more manually such as be able to read config file at boot. Put every details in that file eg: Date On/Off, Continious/Partial, Exposure value, Saturation value, Sharpness value, etc... That would be perfect to both developer & users. Only 1 version of firmware but customizabled by single config file. It is something the developer already have it (time set .txt), so it won't be hard to do

More advanced is the auto/manual exposure compensation or backlight compensation feature.

Anyone agree?
TrafalgarLaw is offline Find More Posts by TrafalgarLaw
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafalgarLaw View Post
Hi. My first post here. I'm a user of this #11 cam and reading this thread for a month but Tom inspired my with the list thing so here I go.

I would love to see this nice #11 camera do something more manually such as be able to read config file at boot. Put every details in that file eg: Date On/Off, Continious/Partial, Exposure value, Saturation value, Sharpness value, etc... That would be perfect to both developer & users. Only 1 version of firmware but customizabled by single config file. It is something the developer already have it (time set .txt), so it won't be hard to do

More advanced is the auto/manual exposure compensation or backlight compensation feature.

Anyone agree?
Absolutely, except unlike timeset.txt, it shouldn't be deleted after booting, so it should be a separate file.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Hi,

just bought my #11 hd camera, but there's a problem
I captured some videos and it went well, but later on blue areas started to appear when recording, like over exposed image.. and after that it turned completely to screen attached.
no matter what i do, take pictures or video. Later on it just fixed and worked fine for a while, but now i have the same problem again.
Installed new firmware - no results.
Card is sdhc class4 4Gb brand new from local store. so personally i don't think it causes an issue.
any suggestions?

Ycpr0s is offline Find More Posts by Ycpr0s
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:

Dear Benevolent Dictator..
here's a 1st cut at a No. 11 Wish List I'm 100% sure I proabably missed, or mis-worded some good ones that should be on the List too.. please comment and we can update it .. I didn't have a quick easy way here to make it a .pdf but if you can't read it in one of these formats let me know .. Regards. JimS

humm.. it rejected the .rtf and .html formats i had .. sorry i will do a .pdf a bit later..
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:21 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
My program is aimed specifically at the #11, so even the instructions wouldn't be 100% correct for other models.
Understand, I did look at the 808setclock code, and I thought about just modifying one of the cam choices to have the format and delimiters for the #11, but I'm still a hold out anyway. It would be nice to have for those of us who keep a copy of the utility on all of our cards, so time set can be done for any cam.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Quote:

Anyone agree?
That sure would be the best for everybody.
toxicc is offline Find More Posts by toxicc
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:

Anyone agree?
There are already many posts about a possible parameter file. We've been discussing this since the first #11 appeared on the market!

I agree that it would be no big deal to read the parameters, but the BIG question is how to store these values. I have my doubts if there is any non-volatile memory in the processor, so the only possibility would be to store the parameters in the SPI or on the disk (not a good idea, IMO). I believe there are more technical problems to solve than may at first be apparent. It may even not be possible.

I'm sure the manufacturer is aware of the problems - it just isn't economical and programatically safe to have so many firmware versions. But why am I saying this again - it's all been discussed in previous threads...
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
There are already many posts about a possible parameter file. We've been discussing this since the first #11 appeared on the market!

I agree that it would be no big deal to read the parameters, but the BIG question is how to store these values. I have my doubts if there is any non-volatile memory in the processor, so the only possibility would be to store the parameters in the SPI or on the disk (not a good idea, IMO). I believe there are more technical problems to solve than may at first be apparent. It may even not be possible.
Why not just leave the configuration file on the SD card and read it every time?
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
Why not just leave the configuration file on the SD card and read it every time?
If you have lots of cards and a few cameras that's a no-go.

Also, I always format my cards. Have you ever tried to delete all the video files from a full 32GB SD card? - you can have lunch while you wait!

Sure, I could format the cards and then copy the param file - what a pain!
And what happens if there is no param file present? i.e. you "forgot" to put it there - that's 10 hours of screwed up video for me!

Parameters stored on disk instead of in non-volatile memory is, IMO, a BIG cludge and could end up being more of a hindrance than a help. This is not the way to do it.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Dear Benevolent Dictator..
here's a 1st cut at a No. 11 Wish List I'm 100% sure I proabably missed, or mis-worded some good ones that should be on the List too.. please comment and we can update it .. I didn't have a quick easy way here to make it a .pdf but if you can't read it in one of these formats let me know .. Regards. JimS

humm.. it rejected the .rtf and .html formats i had .. sorry i will do a .pdf a bit later..
It's your list... put on it anything you want. I'm only pursuing the first two with the developers.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Sure, I could format the cards and then copy the param file - what a pain!
Not as much of a pain as having no way to control the camera except new firmware versions.

Quote:
And what happens if there is no param file present?
The same thing that happens now: The camera would use default values.

Quote:
Parameters stored on disk instead of in non-volatile memory is, IMO, a BIG cludge and could end up being more of a hindrance than a help. This is not the way to do it.
Yeah, well, that would be great if you could find some non-volatile memory in these cameras to use. That would be a good addition to a future version, but I'm thinking what could be done with the current hardware by just upgrading the firmware, and I'd accept a kludge rather than nothing.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:14 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
I agree with Tom.
Cooperation from developers is rare.
Since they have shown good faith to provide improvement, my belief is that they should not be pushed too hard to try to satisfy all wishes.
They probably have limited resources and can't afford to put all their eggs into one basket of one facet of many that are needed to produce and sell these little cameras.
Thanks Tom for your efforts.
Of course I am not saying that the discussion and listing of all possible improvements should not happen - it is a productive exchange of ideas. I'm just saying that we should not expect too much and be happy to get this big improvement over the first key-fob cameras.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:49 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:

I'm sure the manufacturer is aware of the problems - it just isn't economical and programatically safe to have so many firmware versions. But why am I saying this again - it's all been discussed in previous threads...
Iso
did i capture this parameter passing capability correctly as:
Nr11Timeset Parameter
Enhance timeset.txt input processing algorithm to not only allow the user to set the time/ date but also to pass selectable parameters via Nr11Time parameter utility
High
Isoprop

perhaps the Developers will see it and simply let us know if it's possible in a No 11 or if it's not at all feasible.. how can it hurt to ask? JimS
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:53 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
.. we should not expect too much and be happy to get this big improvement over the first key-fob cameras.

Walt
Walt,
I agree .. but also know there is a lot of competitive pressure and incentive to give the customert what he /she wants.. sometimes actually asking directly can help too.. they don't have big marketing budgets to do surveys and such.. I just hope i can capture it in a simple list.. and if THEY respond that particular things aren't do-able in a No 11 then fine .. it's a Win-Win..
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:55 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
It's your list... put on it anything you want. I'm only pursuing the first two with the developers.
Tom,
understood.. no problem.. Thanks again for all you do here on the thread. Your humble Servant.. JimS.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Walt,
I agree .. but also know there is a lot of competitive pressure and incentive to give the customert what he /she wants.. sometimes actually asking directly can help too.. they don't have big marketing budgets to do surveys and such.. I just hope i can capture it in a simple list.. and if THEY respond that particular things aren't do-able in a No 11 then fine .. it's a Win-Win..

It is presumptuous that the rc community (specifically, this forum) is the only market for this cam. It may be among the largest, and may have given this cam a lot of exposure and publicity, but there's probably millions more current/potential buyers who won't necessarily want everything this community wants.

The only universal desirable improvements are basic camera performance - color, focus, saturation, white balance, etc.
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:42 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,339 Posts
Or it might be better to leave it as is - it could become a cult cam like the Lomo!

Here's a Photoshop tutorial to make photos look like Lomo's

http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photosh...omography.html

As for me, I dislike the vignette for AP, it's really my only issue with this excellent cam
Last edited by victapilot; Jun 04, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Hello Tom, I bought yesterday the camera V3 in Hxelepro360:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220783458306

They send me a firmware to remove date and hour. Is it the same as yours?. I upload in this message

Thanks you.
SergioSP is offline Find More Posts by SergioSP
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:44 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzen View Post
The only universal desirable improvements are basic camera performance - color, focus, saturation, white balance, etc.
drzen
Thanks for your opinion.. these are already listed, but personally I'd like to see some of the others too.. JimS
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Or it might be better to leave it as is - it could become a cult cam like the Lomo!

Here's a Photoshop tutorial to make photos look like Lomo's

http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photosh...omography.html

As for me, I dislike the vignette for AP, it's really my only issue with this excellent cam
Yeah, the vignetting is an issue that firmware in the camera cannot correct. I CAN correct it much better than I thought possible, though, with post-processing using "vignette filters" and the MAGIX MEP17+ editor. A better CMOS/lens module is needed to fix the problem at the source.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioSP View Post
Hello Tom, I bought yesterday the camera V3 in Hxelepro360:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220783458306

They send me a firmware to remove date and hour. Is it the same as yours?. I upload in this message

Thanks you.
Yes, it's the same. We get them from the same source. This firmware will keep the 20 min. stop/save/continue function. If you would rather have the camera keep recording, get the firmware that removes the date/time and adds continuous recording. See the FAQ link in Post #3 to all the Release 2 firmware files.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:09 PM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
Well, I got my #11 cam yesterday and overall I'm impressed. Much smaller than I thought actually.

But....

It seems to have a problem that maybe you can help with. I don't see it mentioned in the first few posts of this thread though. Basically it's loud static and picture breakup. When it happens, WMP crashes (when using the file converted using MP4cam2AV). When I play the original file using Itunes (the only thing it will play on on my laptop) the screen freezes. Windows Movie Maker crashes just like WMP.

With both players, if I click to move the video beyond the problem section, it continues to play fine.

This doesn't happen with every recording. I've made about 10 test recordings (not all attached to my car) and I think 3 or 4 of them did this.

There is also an odd "double soundtrack" going on at times.

Check the following Youtube vid. It's difficult to show the extent of the problem as software usually crashes when playing it, but this vid shows a quick section of the issue at around 17 seconds. I had to chop out the next minute or so as the problem seemed to persist for that time.

You can hear the double sound best at around 0:59 to 1:12

Any ideas?

Movie (1 min 19 sec)

By the way, the video stars Gypsy the Minature Schnauzer
Husky2000 is offline Find More Posts by Husky2000
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky2000 View Post
Well, I got my #11 cam yesterday and overall I'm impressed. Much smaller than I thought actually.

But....

It seems to have a problem that maybe you can help with. I don't see it mentioned in the first few posts of this thread though. Basically it's loud static and picture breakup. When it happens, WMP crashes (when using the file converted using MP4cam2AV). When I play the original file using Itunes (the only thing it will play on on my laptop) the screen freezes. Windows Movie Maker crashes just like WMP.

With both players, if I click to move the video beyond the problem section, it continues to play fine.

This doesn't happen with every recording. I've made about 10 test recordings (not all attached to my car) and I think 3 or 4 of them did this.

There is also an odd "double soundtrack" going on at times.

Check the following Youtube vid. It's difficult to show the extent of the problem as software usually crashes when playing it, but this vid shows a quick section of the issue at around 17 seconds. I had to chop out the next minute or so as the problem seemed to persist for that time.

You can hear the double sound best at around 0:59 to 1:12

Any ideas?
Not sure about the "double sound"... sounded like it was just picking up background sounds form the surroundings, radio, etc. to me. But the scratchy static has been discussed here before and in the FAQs... most likely caused by very low frequency road/wind vibration driving the electret mic into clipping.

Does the camera do this video break-up when shooting from a fixed position (i.e. no vibration)? An intermittant problem like that can be due to a poor connection anywhere on the circuit board, in the micro SD card holder, etc. Also, reformat your flash card with the SDformatter utility, then run a memory test on it with the h2testw utility to rule out a bad card. You could also do a quick test with a different card, but the other tests are more definitive.. Your card could have some bad sectors.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:06 PM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
Hi Tom, yeah I saw the FAQ about the mic clipping, but to answer your question, this has happened when the camera was stationary, on my dining table in a very quiet room. Same problem

I've already tried a different card, and I got this result (at least I think I did, I'll have to retest). I'll also try reformatting and then testing the memory. Thankyou for your suggestions.

Oh, and the double sound is a definate repeat of about 5 or 6 seconds of sound, over the top of the original sound. Like two sound tracks running simutaneously, but staggered by 5 or 6 seconds.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:19 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
My V3

Rcvd mine last week.
Attached it to the slow stick this afternoon and got some pretty good looking video first time out.
Weather was 100% thin cloud cover....colors looked good except at certain angles to the sun....pretty darn good for a $28 camera!!!
Got it loaded into WLMM to play with some editing.
Used Transcend 6 4gb card....works great
Now will remove the time stamp...make a decision on whether or not to download any of the revisions.
Tom....great site....Isoprop's manual is worth it's weight in gold.....thanks,guys
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:02 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
where did you get it for $28?????
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:06 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
where did you get it for $28?????
It was one of the vendors list in Post #1, but it had a $12 shipping charge. So.... same as $40 with free shipping.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:29 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
whew!!!! ty
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:11 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
Yep....and worth it!!!
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:14 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
It was one of the vendors list in Post #1, but it had a $12 shipping charge. So.... same as $40 with free shipping.
And maybe that is the one without any memory card or car charge, etc, eh?

Walt

BTW
I got mine in the air for the first time on my TRAINER ONE.
Just used the stock firmware and was pleased.
I was a bit surprised that the lens seems to be a bit "longer" than my #1 or #3 808 - probably mentioned in the thread (or maybe in post #3 LOL).
Just installed the series 2 firmware for no date and longer file - probably don't need that - I don't fly for more than 15 min. But it was there so I did it. Had to crank up my (ugh) W7 OS to format the card because I didn't readily find a way to do it in Ubuntu Linux - must be there somewhere but I was impatient.

And thanks so much for the manual, Iso.
I have mine printed and highlighted - it is getting dogeared already.

Thanks, again, Tom for all the great help.
Happy camper,
Walt
Last edited by Kokopeli; Jun 05, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:09 PM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
Hi,

Well, I've tested my sd card and there are no errors on the card. I reformatted it, and tested again. Still no errors. So I went out and took some test footage.

Unfortunately out of 10 clips, 8 of them had this problem. I'll put my other card in and try that next.

Cheers!
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Just received mine yesterday. It's so much smaller than it looks in all those videos. Haven't done much with it yet but I've been looking for a good protective case in lieu of a TicTac one which doesn't seem to be available anywhere. This is what I've found:

It fits the cam very nicely, the only problem is it activates the power button if you install it lens first. After cutting out holes for the buttons, it's not an issue. As a plus there is no sticker to peel off as the label is shrink wrap plastic. I still have to clean up the button holes, also forgive the crappy phone camera pics...

warlordK is offline Find More Posts by warlordK
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:54 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,779 Posts
Hey guys,
does anyone remembers who was making tiny cases for keyfob (any) with opening to for wide angle lens?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

Well, I've tested my sd card and there are no errors on the card. I reformatted it, and tested again. Still no errors. So I went out and took some test footage.

Unfortunately out of 10 clips, 8 of them had this problem. I'll put my other card in and try that next.

Cheers!
Perhaps the one or more slider contacts in the card holder aren't making solid contact. You might try putting some alcohol (or better yet, Corrosion-X) on an old or dummy flash card and repeatedly insert/remove it to try to clean the contacts in the card holder. I'd open the case and make sure all the contacts on the CMOS ribbon cables have good soldered connection to the circuit board and look for other poor soldered or bridged connections.

But If your flash memory is good condition, the intermittant problem would seem to be a poor contact somewhere, with vibration and/or temperature causing momentary breaks in the video signal path. It could even be inside one of the circuit board components.

Unfortunately, returning it for a new one may be the only solution, but don't give up just yet.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:08 PM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
Thankyou Tom, I'll try those actions too. Not giving up quite yet, I'll do a few more things before I contact the seller (hxelepro360).

It's just dissapointing to get a duffer, and seeing all the great footage you guys are getting is making me jealous

Hopefully Hxelepro will be understanding if I need to contact him.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:47 PM
Airspeed, altitude, and brains
Wolverine MI Northern Lower Peninsula
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
I have posted a few of these videos over at the Ultimate SuperCub Help Thread, but thought I would pop them on here also. Finally got my time stamp changed to the right time and date today, thanks to the program from Isosprop...worked great! Keep in mind, as I am sure many of you have noticed, that the actual video seems to be even better than how it shows up at YouTube. Any way, enjoy!

Quick Video of Flight from Silver Lake (3 min 40 sec)

Sunny Pickeral Lake (8 min 52 sec)

Echo Lake Flight 2 Wolverine MI (3 min 59 sec)

-Craig-
flightphotog is offline Find More Posts by flightphotog
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:50 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Hadsten
Joined Jul 2010
94 Posts
I have noticed a funny thing with my #11 camera. When I remove the SD card from the camera, attach the camera by USB to a computer and power on the camera, the computer will mount a 1MB drive. The drive only contains an empty DCIM/100MEDIA folder and any files saved to the drive will disappear next time mounted. Does anyone now the purpose of this drive? Can it be used for anything useful?
Tomve is offline Find More Posts by Tomve
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:05 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Hey guys,
does anyone remembers who was making tiny cases for keyfob (any) with opening to for wide angle lens?
There are many ways to do it on the old thread, here's mine FWIW
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:20 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
284 Posts
I received my #11 a few days ago and have been testing it under various conditions. One thing I noticed and I hope it hasn't been pointed out in the forum previously and I missed it, but when viewing the native .mov video file, I get a slight pause in the video or a shuttling, as I call it, repeatedly thoughout the entire video. I was watching Husky2000's video in post #4429 and I see it there also. Now when I convert the .mov file using mp4cam2avi, it does not appear after conversion. Has this been reported previously? TIA

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Thankyou Tom, I'll try those actions too. Not giving up quite yet, I'll do a few more things before I contact the seller (hxelepro360).

It's just dissapointing to get a duffer, and seeing all the great footage you guys are getting is making me jealous

Hopefully Hxelepro will be understanding if I need to contact him.
I think Hxelepro360 (Diana... very nice lady) will take care of any camera defect for you.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:24 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,779 Posts
Quote:
There are many ways to do it on the old thread, here's mine FWIW
Yeah, I did with tic-tacs but hot glue doesnt stick wlell. There was someone in England (if I recall ) and made this things vacum formed with larger opening to fit the wide angle lens. Had a better grip on the lens. Have to keep looking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:29 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,188 Posts
[I] think I've just 'bricked' my camera by attempting to install the new 'release 2' firmware.

Copied the .bin file to the card as per normal, turned on the camera... and nothing happened. Waited ages but no yellow light came on. Tried plugging into the PC and the red charge light comes on but it wont switch mode to allow me to read the card.

Tried re-flashing the original firmware... no luck.

I guess it's toast

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
[I] think I've just 'bricked' my camera by attempting to install the new 'release 2' firmware.

Copied the .bin file to the card as per normal, turned on the camera... and nothing happened. Waited ages but no yellow light came on. Tried plugging into the PC and the red charge light comes on but it wont switch mode to allow me to read the card.

I guess it's toast

Steve
Keep it plugged in until the red LED goes out. Try reset button, both plugged in, and unplugged. Still no go?... completely disconnect the battery (e.g. unsolder on battery wire), then reconnect. Still no go, try reflashing again. A totally bricked camera is REALLY rare now. If all else fails, contact your vendor for a replacement.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:00 PM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomve View Post
I have noticed a funny thing with my #11 camera. When I remove the SD card from the camera, attach the camera by USB to a computer and power on the camera, the computer will mount a 1MB drive. The drive only contains an empty DCIM/100MEDIA folder and any files saved to the drive will disappear next time mounted. Does anyone now the purpose of this drive? Can it be used for anything useful?
The release 1 firmware did this.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:16 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
wjbite...

actually it did include a car charger!
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:20 PM
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Had to crank up my (ugh) W7 OS to format the card because I didn't readily find a way to do it in Ubuntu Linux - must be there somewhere but I was impatient.
mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/[CARD DEVICE]
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:29 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Thanks Xamindar
That will go into my text file of line commands.
Walt
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:14 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,779 Posts
Nothing special another flight.

keyfob HD (3 min 5 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:38 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
but when viewing the native .mov video file, I get a slight pause in the video or a shuttling, as I call it, repeatedly thoughout the entire video.
Use VLC. A dual core processor, any, even the slowest, should be more than enough.
But use VLC.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:05 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Quote:

I guess it's toast

Steve

I just flashed mine with the #2 upgrade and it went O.K. once I dropped the file in the right spot. Tried several times with .bin firmware placed in the first folder (DCMI I think) but no go so I dropped it in the F: drive where it shows up in the my computer window and when I turned it on it loaded up in about 20 sec. Whew! I was prepared to brick it at the time but am confident now that I have done it.

Thanks Tom.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:34 AM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
Used avidemux to extract out some frames on hobbyzone champ
fhussain44 is offline Find More Posts by fhussain44
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:51 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhussain44 View Post
Used avidemux to extract out some frames on hobbyzone champ
Try exporting the video as an .mp4 video keeping the h.264 video codec and original average bitrate, but with the "asharp" sharpening filter added (using it's default configuration). Then compare the frame grabs with the original video frames. You should see a very noticeable visual improvement.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 06, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:11 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
I received my #11 a few days ago and have been testing it under various conditions. One thing I noticed and I hope it hasn't been pointed out in the forum previously and I missed it, but when viewing the native .mov video file, I get a slight pause in the video or a shuttling, as I call it, repeatedly thoughout the entire video. I was watching Husky2000's video in post #4429 and I see it there also. Now when I convert the .mov file using mp4cam2avi, it does not appear after conversion. Has this been reported previously? TIA

Ron
When you did the conversion with MP4cam2avi, did you use the "source video (no recompression)" setting for the video format, or one of the XVID settings?
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Iso
did i capture this parameter passing capability correctly as:
Nr11Timeset Parameter
Enhance timeset.txt input processing algorithm to not only allow the user to set the time/ date but also to pass selectable parameters via Nr11Time parameter utility
High
Isoprop

perhaps the Developers will see it and simply let us know if it's possible in a No 11 or if it's not at all feasible.. how can it hurt to ask? JimS
I think everyone agrees that it should be possible to set the prameters by the timeset.txt file, if this is possible.

What I personally think is not a good idea, and certainly very bad programming practice, is a separate param file which must always be present on the disk.

Other methods have been suggested, one of which was parameters embedded in the firmware file which can be modified by an external program prior to updating the firmware. This method, which has been used on different models in the past, is certainly better than a permanent param file on the disk.

So, to summarize (my personal opinion):
1st choice - Parameters in the timeset.txt file
2nd choice - External program which modifies parameters in the firmware file prior to updating the firmware.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:03 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
.....I get a slight pause in the video or a shuttling, as I call it, repeatedly thoughout the entire video.Ron
If you are still having problems with skipping / pausing during playback of the raw H264 MOV files, there are a number of things you can do in VLC :

1/ Go into VLC's preferences (Tools / Preferences).
Look for Show Settings - this under the VLC traffic cones in the left-hand pane of the preferences dialogue box. Select the All checkbox.

CACHING

2/ In the list of advanced options to the left, do the following in this order :

Click on the + next to Input / Codecs, the + next to Access Modules, select 'File' - In the right-hand pane change the first caching value to 400ms and the extra caching value to 800ms.

DECODING SPEED / ERROR SKIPPING

3/ In the same left hand sub-menu under Access Modules, look for 'Video Codecs', click on the + next to it and highlight / select 'FFmpeg'.
In the right-hand pane, scroll down until you see 'Skip the loop filter for H.264 Decoding' - make sure this option is set to All from the drop-down menu.

You're done - save all changes, close and restart VLC.

There are other decoding options you can tinker with, 'Allow speed tricks' and 'Hurry Up' etc, if you're not too bothered about dropping frames. Changing the way the video is rendered will also alter processing speed, DirectX, OpenGL, VUV, or direct GPU output etc. You can find and select these options in the bottom 'Video' section and selecting the 'Output Modules' sub-section. Any changes you make can be undone..

Closing any programs you're not using will free up proccessing resources for VLC.

Hope this helps and good luck
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Last edited by timetec; Jun 06, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:55 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,188 Posts
Quote:
Keep it plugged in until the red LED goes out. Try reset button, both plugged in, and unplugged. Still no go?... completely disconnect the battery (e.g. unsolder on battery wire), then reconnect. Still no go, try reflashing again. A totally bricked camera is REALLY rare now. If all else fails, contact your vendor for a replacement.
Left it plugged in until red light went out (not long because it was fully charged).. Tried re-flashing several times both with the release 2 firmware and the original firmware.. no go. Tried re-set button (lots of times) which didnt make any difference.
I didnt try re-setting when it was on the USB so I'll try that when I get home.

I'll leave opening the case until I hear back from the vendor.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Left it plugged in until red light went out (not long because it was fully charged).. Tried re-flashing several times both with the release 2 firmware and the original firmware.. no go. Tried re-set button (lots of times) which didnt make any difference.

This won't help to unbrick your camera, but it may help to tell you if "something" is working.
Use the Nr11Timeset.exe program to write the timeset.txt file to the SD card. If your camera is not recognized by the computer, use a card reader.
Make sure the file is on the card and the card is inserted into the camera. Now turn on the camera. Still nothing? Now turn off the camera and see if the timeset.txt has been deleted from the card. If the file is gone, then at least "something" works.

Just a tip. Always take your time when pressing buttons, a normal click should be no longer than about 1/2 second. Wait at least 10 seconds before you click again.

I take it you are testing with a freshly formatted SD card (no firmware or other files or folders visible)?
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:45 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,188 Posts
Big thanks to Tom

i just tried re-setting while the camera was plugged into the PC via USB and for some reason that did the trick.. it's working fine again!

Thanks again!
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Big thanks to Tom

i just tried re-setting while the camera was plugged into the PC via USB and for some reason that did the trick.. it's working fine again!

Thanks again!
Like Tom says "A totally bricked camera is REALLY rare now."

Glad it works again and that it REALLY is difficult to brick these cameras.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:02 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
So, to summarize (my personal opinion):
1st choice - Parameters in the timeset.txt file
2nd choice - External program which modifies parameters in the firmware file prior to updating the firmware.
Isoprop..
Thanks I've amplified this in the WishList Rev 2 text below.. Thanks JimS
Last edited by jims123; Jun 06, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:47 AM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
ignore
fhussain44 is offline Find More Posts by fhussain44
Last edited by fhussain44; Jun 06, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:

... stuff deleted...

<EDIT> never mind... you fixed it! <EDIT>
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:53 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
If you are still having problems with skipping / pausing during playback of the raw H264 MOV files, there are a number of things you can do in VLC :

1/ Go into VLC's preferences (Tools / Preferences).
Look for Show Settings - this under the VLC traffic cones in the left-hand pane of the preferences dialogue box. Select the All checkbox.

CACHING

2/ In the list of advanced options to the left, do the following in this order :

Click on the + next to Input / Codecs, the + next to Access Modules, select 'File' - In the right-hand pane change the first caching value to 400ms and the extra caching value to 800ms.

DECODING SPEED / ERROR SKIPPING

3/ In the same left hand sub-menu under Access Modules, look for 'Video Codecs', click on the + next to it and highlight / select 'FFmpeg'.
In the right-hand pane, scroll down until you see 'Skip the loop filter for H.264 Decoding' - make sure this option is set to All from the drop-down menu.

You're done - save all changes, close and restart VLC.

There are other decoding options you can tinker with, 'Allow speed tricks' and 'Hurry Up' etc, if you're not too bothered about dropping frames. Changing the way the video is rendered will also alter processing speed, DirectX, OpenGL, VUV, or direct GPU output etc. You can find and select these options in the bottom 'Video' section and selecting the 'Output Modules' sub-section. Any changes you make can be undone..

Closing any programs you're not using will free up proccessing resources for VLC.

Hope this helps and good luck
My OS is Ubuntu 11.4
I saw your post and went to install VLC to check it out.
HELLO - it seems to have been already installed during the OS install.
But Totem Movie Player is the default video player and I use AVIDEMUX to edit.
My question is for someone who also uses Ubuntu:
Will VLC do most of what Movie Player and AVIDEMUX do for working with my HD Key Cam?

Thanks,
Walt
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Will VLC do most of what Movie Player and AVIDEMUX do for working with my HD Key Cam?
No. VLC is a video player, Avidemux is a video editor/encoder.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:21 PM
BelgiŽ
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Big thanks to Tom

Thanks again!
I have the same problem after installing the date & time stamp remove.Camera won't turn on anymore.If plugged in to the computer the red light goes on, but that's it.Tried every button,even reset when red light turns off.I've also disconnected the battery
overlaod is offline Find More Posts by overlaod
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I bought an 808 #11 HD cam from eBay and it has arrived. It works and is definitely HD (1280*720, 30fps, H.264). The audio is 512 kbps and the video is usually about 6.5 Mbps (so about 7 Mbps total and not 10 Mbps).

I wanted to get rid of the burnt-in timestamp so I downloaded the "continuous recording & remove time - release 2.zip" file from this thread and followed the instructions.

You're probably expecting me to say that I've bricked the camera, but that's not the case! The problem is that the new firmware hasn't been loaded at all. Here are the steps that I took:

1. Connected the camera via USB (red LED comes on).
2. Turned it on (red LED turns off, amber LED comes on).
3. Copied the FW96630A.bin to the root of the memory card (not in DCIM or MISC).
4. Safely removed the drive.
5. Turned the camera off (amber LED turns off, red LED comes back on).
6. Disconnected it from the PC (red LED turns off).
7. Turned the camera on.

After step 7, the amber LED comes on like usual and there is no "5 - 10 second" delay as written in the instructions. Recording a video confirms that the timestamp is still present.

Have I missed something out? Anyone else had this problem (I confess to not having read all 299 pages of this thread...)?

Thanks.

Edit: Solved! timetec suggested I try the procedure using a card reader instead of doing it over USB. This worked for me. I don't know why the USB method didn't work for me, but if anyone else has the same problem I suggest you try using a card reader. Thanks again.
djcater is offline Find More Posts by djcater
Last edited by djcater; Jun 06, 2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Solved.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:02 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Although I think it`s unlikely to be the case but skip #5 step.
I never do this anyway. Even if I want to upgrade the firmware or just unplug the camera.
But you never know.
Also try the same file but with upper case extension (.BIN).
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:04 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Hi - if it's any help, I used an external USB micro-SD card reader / writer to transfer the FW96630A.bin firmware file to the root directory of the card.
The card was then taken out of the USB card reader / writer, put in the #11 camera and switched on to install.
Last edited by timetec; Jun 06, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
Hi - if it's any help, I used a USB micro-SD card reader / writer to transfer the *.bin to the root directory of the card.
The card was then taken out of the USB card reader / writer, put it the #11 camera and then switched on to install the new firmware
The file *MUST* be named FW96630A.BIN (note the capital letters) nothing else. No extra folders etc.
Format the card and then copy this file to the empty card. External card reader is perfect!
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies people.

air_crash: I tried leaving out step 5 but it didn't make a difference. I also tried with captial .BIN and it also made no difference.

timetec: I tried the procedure using a card reader and... it worked! Thank you. The amber LED took about 3 seconds to come on so I thought it had probably worked, and then a test video had no timestamp, so it must have worked.

lsoprop: Note that the file in the zip provided here is FW96630A.bin (capital name, lowercase extension). This worked fine using the card reader method.

I don't know why the USB method didn't work for me, but I now have the updated firmware working. I suggest that anyone else who can't get it to work over USB try with a card reader.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 04:43 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlaod View Post
I have the same problem after installing the date & time stamp remove.Camera won't turn on anymore.If plugged in to the computer the red light goes on, but that's it.Tried every button,even reset when red light turns off.I've also disconnected the battery
Sorry to hear that.. What did it for me was pressing the reset while plugged into the USB and with the red charge light lit.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 04:58 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcater View Post
timetec: I tried the procedure using a card reader and... it worked! Thank you. The amber LED took about 3 seconds to come on so I thought it had probably worked, and then a test video had no timestamp, so it must have worked.
Nice you found a solution. But I am curious why this happened.
What OS are you running?
And check your USB cable. You could put the same file to the DCIM folder (so it does not interfere with the camera) and then compare the MD5 checksum. http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-ba...urn-tools.html
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Apr 2010
586 Posts
I can't seem to find out how to unbrick my camera. The only thing that shows is the red light will charging. I tried al the methods to get it back to life but nothing worked. I just got this camera today and it worked for like 1 minute but after putting it off it has never come to life since.
hugy is offline Find More Posts by hugy
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:31 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugy View Post
I can't seem to find out how to unbrick my camera. The only thing that shows is the red light will charging. I tried al the methods to get it back to life but nothing worked. I just got this camera today and it worked for like 1 minute but after putting it off it has never come to life since.
hugy,
when you plug it in the USB connect to your PC .. does the RED Light ever go OFF .. or is what you state actually the case that "..only thing that shows is the RED light. will charging"..

Do you have any other camera or devices that DO work.. can you try their USB cable?

Once the cam is charged.. then the RED Led should go OFF.. does it? if it does go out, and you then press the POWER ON rear button .. the AMBER LED should come ON and stay ON.. does the AMBER LED ever come ON while the cam is disconnected? or do you ALWAYS see only RED while charging and it never stops charging? if so you probably do need a new cam from you vendor.. Who did you get it from..? did .. in the one minute interval it worked .. you ever get any video recorded or retrieved from the cam? Bummer.. JimS
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:23 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
When you did the conversion with MP4cam2avi, did you use the "source video (no recompression)" setting for the video format, or one of the XVID settings?
Actually I was in the "beginner mode" and it didn't give me any options. So it converted with whatever is its defaults. I assume the beginner mode is the uncompressed conversion as the .avi file looks as good as the native .mov IMO

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Actually I was in the "beginner mode" and it didn't give me any options. So it converted with whatever is its defaults. I assume the beginner mode is the uncompressed conversion as the .avi file looks as good as the native .mov IMO

Ron
If the conversion completed in just a few seconds, it was a direct copy mode for sure. But the #11 audio does NOT copy directly into the .avi container for some reason. All I get is static when using direct copy of the audio into .avi.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:23 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,243 Posts
Here is a Hatcam video of turbine jet I made yesterday. I used Video Pad Editor to quickly edit it and snip out the dots in the sky and to crop and zoom. It takes just a few minutes to create the video for upload. File is small, but I go for speed and NOT making huge video files for posting to Youtube. The #11 works well on sunny days. I am using the 2nd firmware patch.

Tom Ranta A10X turbine jet (2 min 51 sec)
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Apr 2010
586 Posts
Quote:
hugy,
when you plug it in the USB connect to your PC .. does the RED Light ever go OFF .. or is what you state actually the case that "..only thing that shows is the RED light. will charging"..

Do you have any other camera or devices that DO work.. can you try their USB cable?

Once the cam is charged.. then the RED Led should go OFF.. does it? if it does go out, and you then press the POWER ON rear button .. the AMBER LED should come ON and stay ON.. does the AMBER LED ever come ON while the cam is disconnected? or do you ALWAYS see only RED while charging and it never stops charging? if so you probably do need a new cam from you vendor.. Who did you get it from..? did .. in the one minute interval it worked .. you ever get any video recorded or retrieved from the cam? Bummer.. JimS
The red led goes of when it is charged. But after that i have onece got it to work by resetting it. But now I only get the red led while charging and nothing else.
hugy is offline Find More Posts by hugy
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:29 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Hi Hugy
Just a thought. Are you by any chance holding down the rear button to switch the camera on ?
It just requires a quick push / click to toggle it on from it's sleep state.
The amber 'power' LED should then light up a second or so afterwards...
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:02 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,946 Posts
i see somebody said this has rca video out and others said only in playback. does this have rca video out in record?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:19 AM
BelgiŽ
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear that.. What did it for me was pressing the reset while plugged into the USB and with the red charge light lit.
Got it back to work!I've coppied the "recover time - release 2" firmware to root directory, connect the camera on the pc and then I could turn him on.Strange, because I did this handling severall times before, without result.Maybe it worked now because I disconnect and reconnect the battery from the camera?
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:04 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
The red led goes of when it is charged. But after that i have onece got it to work by resetting it. But now I only get the red led while charging and nothing else.
hugy
sounds like it may be charging up Ok..
When you tap the rear POWER ON switch the AMBER LED should come ON and Stay ON ..and then as you place it back on the USB cable within the next minute before it times out and AMBER goes OFF the PC should recognize the camera as a new removable storage device in My Computer.. if you open MyComputer, and watch it as you plug it in you should see it do this? Do you? if you run Isoprop's Nr11Timeset utility that should also show you the device is active as a folder..have you tried running it?
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash View Post
Nice you found a solution. But I am curious why this happened.
What OS are you running?
And check your USB cable. You could put the same file to the DCIM folder (so it does not interfere with the camera) and then compare the MD5 checksum. http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-ba...urn-tools.html
I tried it from 2 different computers running 2 different OSs (Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.04). I used the supplied cable. I got the same filesize and checksum for the file locally and on the camera.

File name: FW96630A.bin
File size: 1401524 bytes
MD5 Checksum: ceb85039d90d74575bdc5cd377598131

Do you get the same values? This is for the "continuous recording & remove time - release 2" firmware.

It doesn't really bother me as I can upgrade the firmware using a card reader, and everything else works using USB (charging, copying videos from the camera), but it is strange.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:32 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Yes, this is the md5 checksum for the continuous recording & remove time - release 2 firmware.
Hmm, maybe Ubuntu did not mount the disk properly, but you say that you tried on a Windows XP PC also.

When you used the card reader did you format the card or did windows report there are errors and you should fix it (I think only Vista, and later, has this feature though) or did you just copied the file there with no other further action?

I`m just curious what went wrong the other way.
But as you said, it is OK if you have a card reader (I do have).
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:40 AM
Southern Sweden
Joined May 2011
120 Posts
I have updated the firmware on my #11. I chose version 4, exposure fix, no time and contineous recording. I did exactly as recommended. What has happen is that the camera takes images, but no video. It turns on, I press the video rec button and light flashes as it should and goes out. Pressing again to stop recording, nothing happens. Light does not turn on. I turn the damn thing off and on again. I switch mode and takes images. That's fine. Works perfectly. I have reinstalled the original firmware. No luck.

Seems like the camera is broken somehow. Shall I toss it in the waste bin or is there any way to save it?

Regards

Lasse
radioactives is offline Find More Posts by radioactives
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:41 AM
BelgiŽ
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Did you tried changing the firmware or did it died by normal usage?
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:43 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactives View Post
I have updated the firmware on my #11. I chose version 4, exposure fix, no time and contineous recording. I did exactly as recommended. What has happen is that the camera takes images, but no video. It turns on, I press the video rec button and light flashes as it should and goes out. Pressing again to stop recording, nothing happens. Light does not turn on. I turn the damn thing off and on again. I switch mode and takes images. That's fine. Works perfectly. I have reinstalled the original firmware. No luck.

Seems like the camera is broken somehow. Shall I toss it in the waste bin or is there any way to save it?

Regards

Lasse
Auch ...

When and from who did you source your #11 ?

I just got my #11 ... and not sure I should update the FW ... I would like to remove the time stamp .. but ... the risk is high.

In my case I got mine from eletoponline ... so ... one of the main source on eBay ... but still

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:50 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactives View Post
I have updated the firmware on my #11. I chose version 4, exposure fix, no time and contineous recording.
You must refer to the Release 1 -exposure fix (or control) firmware.
You can try the newer release, #2, firmware: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3531
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Latest HD key cam and time date stamp

Hi all
Unlike many on here the time/date stamp feature is a must for my business. (Private investigator) Do I understand correctly that all new HD cams will now come with time/date removed or is that only achieved by doing a firmware upgrade? If so is there a way of doing a firmware upgrade with continuous recording but leaving the time date intact?
Melvyn7956 is offline Find More Posts by Melvyn7956
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:00 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvyn7956 View Post
Hi all
Unlike many on here the time/date stamp feature is a must for my business. (Private investigator) Do I understand correctly that all new HD cams will now come with time/date removed or is that only achieved by doing a firmware upgrade? If so is there a way of doing a firmware upgrade with continuous recording but leaving the time date intact?
I got my #11 few days ago .. and it did came with time stamp on ...

All key cam have time stamp on it by default, and I guess they will deliver in this way for a while ... maybe forever

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:04 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Stock -> has timestamp. Close and continue every 20min. No last video saved if battery drains out.

No timestamp -> only through a firmware upgrade.

Continuous recording -> only through a firmware upgrade. Only without a timestamp. Records up to 4GB (FAT32 limit) with the Release 2 firmware (will be fixed in future I think), no limit with *Release 1 firmware. Last video is saved. Actually it records up to the battery duration, till it drains.
*it seems that new batch of cameras can work only, or at least with good quality only, with the Release 2 firmware though.

Quote:
Unlike many on here the time/date stamp feature is a must for my business. (Private investigator)
It is not that good at indoors, neither at low light (close to the sunset).
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:07 AM
Southern Sweden
Joined May 2011
120 Posts
I upgraded with the 4th firmware version (at techmoan.com). It removes time stamp, exposure fix and adds contineous recordning. My camera was bought from Power-GPS on Ebay. I followed the instructions by the book and all went ok. But no videos. I have tried to reset it with the original firmware and version 1 (time stamp removal only). It takes images, but no video.

While replying to this post, I took a quick break and tried your suggestion to use the release 2 and it worked!!!

Whew.... Thanks for fast replies guys and for the help. It really saved my day.. Not so much the money as for waiting another two weeks for a new camera.

Regards

Lasse
radioactives is offline Find More Posts by radioactives
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:16 AM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
this was shot with two cameras - including a keychain - ( - funnel clouds!!!)
Flying in rain close to funnel clouds FPV Dragon Link RC (2 min 44 sec)
alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread