HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:41 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
ffdshow ALERT!

I just download the latest version (v 3713) of this normally excellent video codec pack. A change was made that caused the majority of the VFW (Video For Windows) video encoder codecs to be omitted! With Vdub, I no longer had the h.264 codec to use with my .AVI files, and had to revert back to my prior version (v 3701). This has been reported to the developer and hopefully will be corrected in the next update. Until then avoid installing the latest version (v 3713)!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 04, 2011 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:42 AM
Joined Jan 2011
13 Posts
wow, thanks for the quick and thoughtful response Tom Frank

i'm going to go ahead and purchase it tomorrow afternoon! And I'll be looking into all the videos posted like you said. Thanks again for all the helpful tips, you answered everything pretty well.

btw, you're at post 7,777 .... you're lucky!

edit: make that 7,778 lol
thygriever2 is offline Find More Posts by thygriever2
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thygriever2 View Post
wow, thanks for the quick and thoughtful response Tom Frank

i'm going to go ahead and purchase it tomorrow afternoon! And I'll be looking into all the videos posted like you said. Thanks again for all the helpful tips, you answered everything pretty well.

btw, you're at post 7,777 .... you're lucky!

edit: make that 7,778 lol
Darn... too late! I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday... it was up to 45 million dollars... or maybe it was 450 million... a lot higher than I can count, anyway!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:24 AM
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2009
57 Posts
Ordered. I've asked the seller to remove date stamp before he will send the camera, so I will have a camera with date stamp removed. Very good communication with internetshop356.
DaggyMAC is offline Find More Posts by DaggyMAC
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Darn... too late! I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday... it was up to 45 million dollars... or maybe it was 450 million... a lot higher than I can count, anyway!
O_O man if you won that, you would probably have your own aircraft and wouldn't need to settle for the model

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggyMAC View Post
Ordered. I've asked the seller to remove date stamp before he will send the camera, so I will have a camera with date stamp removed. Very good communication with internetshop356.
Hmmm... that's quite a good idea! Although I'm curious if they might give you a different version if you tell them to do it themselves (just cuz sometimes you get unlucky or they're just really lazy). I'm buying from the same guy so lets hope we both get something good!
thygriever2 is offline Find More Posts by thygriever2
Last edited by thygriever2; Jan 04, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:01 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
nice post thanks
lesodell is offline Find More Posts by lesodell
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:14 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
If you've seen how the old 808 images have noticeable video "noise" at lower light level, compare with some of the video clips users have already posted here. While there is white balance shift in low light, I don't see the typical "noise" artifacts like the old 808 has. I think the HD CMOS sensor has much better light sensitivity.
FYI, AVIDEMUX has a nice HQ 3D spatial and teporal noise cleaner... I just started to experiment with this, and really cleans up the image very well (without noticeable degradation in sharpness).

Can be useful for the HD version as well (better compressibility).

Orderd mine Dec. 12, still waiting...

My compliments for this thread!
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:19 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
opening the firmware in a Txt reader we can find those lines:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i?? v ?? NOVATEK DIGITAL CAMERA?
!NTK96610?Ver.1?&0V?D2001:07:01 12:00:00 ??ƒŒ? š???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i guess novatek might be the company who made the design,

About the vigneting... as far as i know is usually a problem of too wide lens, (but those ones don't seems to be that wider...)
i am curious about the angle of view f this HD camera,
any one can make some easy calcs to reveal the approximate angle of view of the camera? thnks
If you take a JPEG single image and look at it using EXIF viewer or similar, it should show max aperture and focal length FWIW. Also should show some other interesting stuff such as camera type and software. I don't have one yet, still monitoring the 5 sellers, linked to my avatar.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
I'm on-board and ordered one yesterday from hxelepro360

Great video and editing Kerbob
Brett1 is offline Find More Posts by Brett1
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:37 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
HD Key Cam Vendor Alert!

I have just received some preliminary information from my so far reliable contact for the sources of these cameras (see post #2). He told me he sells through 8 stores on eBay, not just the four vendors I had identified. But the important information is that a possible deal is in the offing with a large US vendor who wants to set up an arrangement with him to supply the HD key cams in exchange for exclusive distribution rights to sell them in the US. This would mean that he would no longer be able to sell them on eBay for shipment to US destinations. What would this mean for us in the U.S.? My guess is the price will go UP!

You may have a different view, but if you were waiting for prices to come down, here's what you can do in the interim. If you can pay via a Paypal transaction you can order direct from him via email at hotbid365@gmail.com. He can fulfill orders with a slight discount for now via direct selling. Or if you are not comfortable with that, the eBay stores can still sell as they now do to the US.

The US vendor exclusive sale arrangement is not finalized, and may never be. I'm just passing on information I was given, and maybe get you a slight discount on the camera for now.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:40 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
FYI, AVIDEMUX has a nice HQ 3D spatial and teporal noise cleaner... I just started to experiment with this, and really cleans up the image very well (without noticeable degradation in sharpness).

Can be useful for the HD version as well (better compressibility).

Orderd mine Dec. 12, still waiting...

My compliments for this thread!
Thanks for the AviDemux noise filter tip. I have only briefly play with the filter set, comparing with Vdub filters, and find them to be good. When I can experiment a bit more, I will add some editing tips like this for AviDemux in post #4.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
You may have a different view, but if you were waiting for prices to come down, here's what you can do in the interim. If you can pay via a Paypal transaction you can order direct from him via email at hotbid365@gmail.com. He can fulfill orders with a slight discount for now via direct selling. Or if you are not comfortable with that, the eBay stores can still sell as they now do to the US.
Tom,

How about organizing a Group Buy before the ink dries - do you think there is enough interest for say, 100 cameras at a time? This will save LOTS of shipping costs for the vendor and the prices must then be much more reasonable. And shipping in the US after they arrive are on the order of a buck or two.

clx1
clx1 is offline Find More Posts by clx1
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx1 View Post
Tom,

How about organizing a Group Buy before the ink dries - do you think there is enough interest for say, 100 cameras at a time? This will save LOTS of shipping costs for the vendor and the prices must then be much more reasonable. And shipping in the US after they arrive are on the order of a buck or two.

clx1
I have no idea what the interest level might be, nor what kind of price might be negotiated for a lot of 100 cameras. My guess is, you might get maybe a 15%-20 discount, but who knows?

I certainly have my hands full just keeping up with the Q/A in this (and other) threads, plus flying every once in a while! So I really don't have time to be the focal point or handle the distribution for a group buy like that. Maybe someone else will volunteer?

Right now, I'm only in the market for the one I have on it's way to me right now.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
HD Key Cam Angle of View (AOV)

OK, thanks to jhi, I am passing on to you his very revealing comparison of the HD key cam with one of the old 808 versions, both with and without an add-on wide angle lens on the cameras.

Based on the dimensions he gave for his HD video example, I calculated it would take a 58.2 deg. AOV to capture the corner-to-corner image of his video. So, I expect the lens on the camera is a tiny bit more than that, but not much based on the vignetting we can see. In any event, you can easily see how much greater the AOV is than the old 808, even when it has the add-on wide angle lens! And you can also see the horizontal distortion the 720x480 video of the old 808 produces.

<edit>
Based on the other pictures and measurements jhi added in post #317, I have done additional calculations that show:

AOV of old 808 camera: 48.8 deg.
AOV of HD key cam WITH wide angle add-on lens: 64.4 deg.
<edit>

Thanks jhi for taking the time to prepare this!
----------------------------------------------------
808HD AOV
Tom,

I have prepared some preliminary material on the AOV request in the "Real HD Key Cam Thread", hope you don't mind me sending it directly to you.

- Downloaded test image from here:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ern_PM5644.png (The copyright holder grants everyone the right to use this material)
- Printed image to A1 format (similar to ANSI D) on my HP Designjet 500 plotter.
- Shot both videos from distance 835mm (32.87")
- Tested both new 808HD camera and "old" #3 808SD camera - without/with wide angle lens. It looks like some are interested in comparing new and old camera and some are also asking about the "fish eye lens".

YouTube links:

808HD - AOV Test video.MOV (0 min 35 sec)

and

808SD - AOV Test video.AVI (0 min 18 sec)

- The wide angle lens I used is similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/0-67X-Wide-Angle...ht_5771wt_1136.

PS
Tried to attach the picture files without luck , I can email it to you if you like, or I may upload to the thread. The files show measurements on the test image necessary to calculate AOV (I think). I checked ChuckLohr's site, but know too little about these things to handle it professionally. Hope you can "do the math" - The width/height of the HD shot is estimated to be 810x455mm (31.89"x17.91")- distance from camera 835mm (32.87"), but I guess it's better for you to have a look at the images. Should you need it, total width/height of the printed image (not in view all the time) is 837x468mm (32.95"x18.43") to outside the outer stippled border - hope this is not confusing..

Please disregard the lighting anomalies - the image was partly lit from indoor lamps and light from window.

Regards Jan
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 05, 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added more AOV info based on pictures in post #317
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
I have just received some preliminary information from my so far reliable contact for the sources of these cameras (see post #2). He told me he sells through 8 stores on eBay, not just the four vendors I had identified. But the important information is that a possible deal is in the offing with a large US vendor who wants to set up an arrangement with him to supply the HD key cams in exchange for exclusive distribution rights to sell them in the US. This would mean that he would no longer be able to sell them on eBay for shipment to US destinations. What would this mean for us in the U.S.? My guess is the price will go UP!

The US vendor exclusive sale arrangement is not finalized, and may never be. I'm just passing on information I was given, and maybe get you a slight discount on the camera for now.
I wish I would have thought to go direct. I've done that before for electronic equipment and it worked like a charm, saved about 20%. eBay is ridiculous with their fees. $40 is not that bad though... just wish the wait wasn't so long.

I wouldn't be too worried about the prices going UP any time soon. They are already 4x higher than the lower res cameras, and the lower res is really not that bad.

As soon as someone in the US gets an exclusive deal, and RAISES the price... someone else is going to realize there is money to be made and start offering a similar product for less.
Brett1 is offline Find More Posts by Brett1
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
I have no idea what the interest level might be, nor what kind of price might be negotiated for a lot of 100 cameras. My guess is, you might get maybe a 15%-20 discount, but who knows?

I certainly have my hands full just keeping up with the Q/A in this (and other) threads, plus flying every once in a while! So I really don't have time to be the focal point or handle the distribution for a group buy like that. Maybe someone else will volunteer?

Right now, I'm only in the market for the one I have on it's way to me right now.

Tom,

Sound like fun. Buy 100 cameras for a discount and pass the savings on to others. You get to order the cameras, sell them individually, collect the money, and post them to the buyers. Sounds like your typical thankless job.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:25 PM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Here are some image files I made during the prosess..
Note: The images are going to be resized during upload to this thread.

/Jan

[QUOTE=Tom Frank;17003457]OK, thanks to jhi, I am passing on to you his very revealing comparison of the HD key cam with one of the old 808 versions, both with and without an add-on wide angle lens on the cameras.

Based on the dimensions he gave for his HD video example, I calculated it would take a 58.2 deg. AOV to capture the corner-to-corner image of his video. So, I expect the lens on the camera is a tiny bit more than that, but not much based on the vignetting we can see. In any event, you can easily see how much greater the AOV is than the old 808, even when it has the add-on wide angle lens! And you can also see the horizontal distortion the 720x480 video of the old 808 produces.

Thanks jhi for taking the time to prepare this!
----------------------------------------------------
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Last edited by jhi; Jan 05, 2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Added 808SD wide angle photo
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1 View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about the prices going UP any time soon. They are already 4x higher than the lower res cameras, and the lower res is really not that bad.

As soon as someone in the US gets an exclusive deal, and RAISES the price... someone else is going to realize there is money to be made and start offering a similar product for less.
Time will tell. I offered the information for those who don't want to take the wait-and-see approach. FWIW, I don't think there is as much profit in the 4X price difference as you might think, considering the better CMOS module and much more capable video processer/controller IC in the HD camera.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:40 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I agree 100% - Also some entrepreneur in Singapore might pick up the slack

There are other ways to get the cams in quantity without going through a middle man like the Ebay seller(s). Anyone wanting to import 500cams would be better going direct, such as via Alibaba - lots of cams, now starting to see 1028P. This one looks like it might be a 720P

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28...corder_HD.html

There's need to communicate to find out, which I haven't done, also risk because of fund transfer, customs, etc.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I agree 100% - Also some entrepreneur in Singapore might pick up the slack

There are other ways to get the cams in quantity without going through a middle man like the Ebay seller(s). Anyone wanting to import 500cams would be better going direct, such as via Alibaba - lots of cams, now starting to see 1028P. This one looks like it might be a 720P

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28...corder_HD.html

Based on the 4:3 aspect ratio and .AVI output format (what codec?), this looks more like the old up-converted fake HD version of the 808 to me. Could just be some agressive marketing to get a much high price now that the real HD key cam is on the market at $40 price point.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:09 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Based on the 4:3 aspect ratio and .AVI output format (what codec?), this looks more like the old up-converted fake HD version of the 808 to me. Could just be some agressive marketing to get a much high price now that the real HD key cam is on the market at $40 price point.
LOL I posted the wrong link, I'll see if there's a better one..

True, 1280x960 might be upconvert, or maybe using more of the CMOS, can't say without details. My point is that the Ebay guys are likely not the only game in town, just re-distributers IMO.

They do provide good service and communications, I'm not knocking them. If these cams become more mainstream, other suppiers, even HK (like they did for #7), might start up

OK, I'm back - here's one that looks interesting, offers sample order. Looks like a new button configuration

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/38...en_Camera.html
Last edited by victapilot; Jan 04, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:26 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
362 Posts
Quote:
True, 1280x960 might be upconvert, or maybe using more of the CMOS, can't say without details. My point is that the Ebay guys are likely not the only game in town, just re-distributers IMO.

They do provide good service and communications, I'm not knocking them. If these cams become more mainstream, other suppiers, even HK (like they did for #7), might come on board, and I'll bet they'll buy direct.
Yes, but alibaba can only provide 2000 cams per day. lol
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:48 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
True, 1280x960 might be upconvert, or maybe using more of the CMOS, can't say without details.
Can definitely say that the Alibaba one is the #4 camera. Note the same clear plastic packaging and that the still image size is 3264x2448.

The new 808HD's still images are 2592x1944. BTW, the native resolution of the 808HD's CMOS sensor is 1280x800.

I expect my 808HD to arrive in a week or so... can't wait
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Another resolution if date stamp removal bricks your camera.

Please note the update I added to the bricked camera post #16. If you bought your camera from one of the sources identified in Post #2 and managed to brick it while performing the date stamp firmware swap, it now appears they will take it back for repair or replacement!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:19 PM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
I noticed that my camera records videos with different values kbps. That was more than 10000kbps and once only about 7000kbps. The difference is big.
It turned out that:
1. When I turn on the camera and record video to go down over 10000kbps.
2. When I turn on the camera and do some photos and then burn the film switches to a video record of around 7000kbps.
3. When I turn on the camera and record video 10000kbps it is over, I take photos and record another video. In this case, it is only about 7000kbps.
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
I noticed that my camera records videos with different values kbps. That was more than 10000kbps and once only about 7000kbps. The difference is big.
It turned out that:
1. When I turn on the camera and record video to go down over 10000kbps.
2. When I turn on the camera and do some photos and then burn the film switches to a video record of around 7000kbps.
3. When I turn on the camera and record video 10000kbps it is over, I take photos and record another video. In this case, it is only about 7000kbps.
Interesting. Can anyone else confirm this behavior with their HD key cam?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:33 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Yes, but alibaba can only provide 2000 cams per day. lol
You need more? There are 8261 listings from 179 suppliers LOL
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:42 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
Ordered one from power-gps last night.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
You need more? There are 8261 listings from 179 suppliers LOL
The one you linked is also not the same camera that we are discussing here. It does say it is 1280x720 resolution, but no mention of video codec and again the video is packaged in an .AVI container, not .MOV. Also, the case is different design and the battery is much larger capacity. Plus $43 for the camera and $31 to ship it!

Let's stick with "The Real HD Key Cam", please, until someone has a better one in hand...
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:10 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Let's stick with "The Real HD Key Cam", please, until someone has a better one in hand...
Agreed!

Just wanted to illustrate that the world does not end if the four (or 8?) sellers no longer sell the current model via Ebay in the USA

BTW Casio appears to be moving away from MOV format, even for 720P
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:24 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,227 Posts
Hey Guys,

Great new Cam/Thread !!

I have two of the old #3 cams and got them as they were still new enough that the faulty charge cord hadn't been figured out yet. One of my #3's has an external Lipo set up since we thought the battery's were bad till the cord was found to be bad.

Since there are a few of these new HD cams out there now would it be possible for someone to write a short post specific to charging and run times. Which cords do you find that work, is the USB cord still junk, and what to expect in record times.

Then link it in the first post here where the Date Stamp Removal (Hurray!!) link and other instructions is linked?

I'm betting there are a lot of people like me that lost track of the 7,000+ post thread on the old cam and it would be a great help as they check in here. These thread grow so fast it's hard to keep up with them.

Thanks again for all you info and I can't wait to get my hands on a couple new HD Cams. I found this thread as I was starting to check in again to get the latest info since I need to order new cams for this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=381

Here's the 190 flying..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=211

Keep the great info coming !!

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:39 PM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Originally Posted by jantares
GSpot v2.70a shows that my camera records in 10714kbps films, 10730kbps and not how earlier passed examples 7091kbps or else 6993, 7060kbps.

Quote:
That's interesting about the high bit rate. Is it the same style of camera? Where did you buy your camera? Any clips posted?
It was the camera shown in this thread. My camera is a model bought on eBay from internet-shop365 on 2010-12-06. This was probably the third or fourth camera purchased.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Guys,
Since there are a few of these new HD cams out there now would it be possible for someone to write a short post specific to charging and run times. Which cords do you find that work, is the USB cord still junk, and what to expect in record times.

Then link it in the first post here where the Date Stamp Removal (Hurray!!) link and other instructions is linked?
...Joe
I'll add a link in the FAQ post#3 when we get some definitive feedback. Post #167 suggests a common mini-USB charge cord will NOT work, but so far no one has given any feedback about this. My camera is still in the mail, and I'll try it for sure when it arrives.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares
GSpot v2.70a shows that my camera records in 10714kbps films, 10730kbps and not how earlier passed examples 7091kbps or else 6993, 7060kbps.

It was the camera shown in this thread. My camera is a model bought on eBay from internet-shop365 on 2010-12-06. This was probably the third or fourth camera purchased.
jantares, can you post a screen shot of the Gspot window with this high bit rate? I'd be interested in some of the other info Gspot reports.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Jun 2010
100 Posts
I understand that the car charger is specific to the #11 but will the car charger work with a #3 or #7?
jazz53 is offline Find More Posts by jazz53
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:28 PM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
jantares, can you post a screen shot of the Gspot window with this high bit rate? I'd be interested in some of the other info Gspot reports.
Sending two shots from the program GPSpot v2.70a. This called 10708kbps comes from the film made to the camera. The second named 7013kbps comes from the film made as the second. Between these two pictures were taken.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:57 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
So if I understand right, taking a video immediately after turning the camera on yields a higher data rate, than taking a video after having taken a photo... Maybe there's a bug in the firmware that leaves some setting switched the wrong way after taking photos. It won't be an issue for me, as I have no intention of taking pictures with it, but it's definitely good to know!

By the way, according the USPS tracking, my camera should be here tomorrow.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
I'll add a link in the FAQ post#3 when we get some definitive feedback. Post #167 suggests a common mini-USB charge cord will NOT work, but so far no one has given any feedback about this. My camera is still in the mail, and I'll try it for sure when it arrives.
Tom,

I use a generic mini USB cable on my HD key cam all the time.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Tom,

I use a generic mini USB cable on my HD key cam all the time.

Bill
Bill... is this with a generic car charger or a generic computer USB cable connected to your computer? Were you just charging or also shooting video with the cord? The vendor's description was a bit hard to fully understand how their supplied cord was the only one that will work to do what.

As I understood what was said, any USB cord from PC to camera should work to charge and/or as a web cam, but only their car charger will work from a car plug to charge and video. Maybe a generic car charger will will charge OK, but not also allow the camera to shoot video at the same time? Still some questions to be answered.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 05, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Bill... is this with ageneric car charger or a generic computer USB cable connected to your computer? Were you just charging or also shooting video with the cord? The USB cable was simply chariging the camera. The vendor's description was a bit hard to fully understand how their supplied cord was the only one that will work to do what.

As I understood what was said, any USB cord from PC to camera should work to charge and/or as a web cam, but only their car charger will work from a car plug to charge and video. Maybe a generic car charger will will charge OK, but not also allow the camer to shoot video at the same time? Still some questions to be answered.
See above in bold.

I have never tried to use the car charger cord. Had no need.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Sending two shots from the program GPSpot v2.70a. This called 10708kbps comes from the film made to the camera. The second named 7013kbps comes from the film made as the second. Between these two pictures were taken.
Thanks for posting that. I had seen some text messages in the firmware for the date re-flashing that look like the camrea might have the ability to switch codecs from H.264 to MJPEG, and its not uncommon for the video bit rate to be higher with MJPEG because the compression is not as great as with H.264. The still pictures are .JPG, and MJPEG is like a sequence of JPG pictures (each frame is a full image). So maybe there is a tie there.

I will be trying mine when it gets here to see if it does this as well. I will also ask my camera vendor contact about this.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:30 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
See above in bold.

I have never tried to use the car charger cord. Had no need.
Seems to me the car charger is a simple 2 wire charger. One of the sellers offered to sell me a cam for $36 without it

Dear friend,

Thank you for your linking our items. Of course, you can buy one camera without accessories ,it's USD 36 .

As a kind reminder,we suggest you to buy all including the accessories as below reasons:

1:It's support our company dedicated car charger.
2:The accessories cost less money for this item., just offer to you as a part.

I cherish this opportunity to do business with you. i trust you will make the best decision,any further questions ,pls feel free to contact us.Hope your busniess and reply,thank you.

Have a nice day!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Seems to me the car charger is a simple 2 wire charger. One of the sellers offered to sell me a cam for $36 without it

Dear friend,

Thank you for your linking our items. Of course, you can buy one camera without accessories ,it's USD 36 .

As a kind reminder,we suggest you to buy all including the accessories as below reasons:

1:It's support our company dedicated car charger.
2:The accessories cost less money for this item., just offer to you as a part.

I cherish this opportunity to do business with you. i trust you will make the best decision,any further questions ,pls feel free to contact us.Hope your busniess and reply,thank you.

Have a nice day!
I think the charging cable will be handy at the flying field.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Try charging the camera with a simple generic two-wire car or wall wart charger with mini-USB plug and report what happens. Does the camera charge properly? Can you shoot video with it plugged in?
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Try charging the camera with a simple generic two-wire car or wall wart charger with mini-USB plug and report what happens. Does the camera charge properly? Can you shoot video with it plugged in?
Tom,

I just tried to take a video with a generic and provided HD camera USB cables. Neither allowed charging.

I can plug in the car charger into a power converter and try to see if you can video with car charger connected.

Bill

EDIT: You can take a video with the car charger plugged into the USB. So the car charger should be marked for HD camera use and not get it confused with similar chargers. It's 5 volt output but so is my car power point charger which came with my Magellan GPS. I will check out and see if the GPS car charger will work and allow taking a video.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 05, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:06 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Just a random thought - The Jaz HD camera has an AC (wall wart) charger, which ends in a micro usb plug. This charger charges the Jaz ok.
Pluging the Jaz into a PC USB port - same micro USB socket - does NOT charge the Jaz, just allows you to read the SD card in the Jazz.
USB plugs have 5 connections, 5v+ from PC, Signal +, Signal -, 0V , and the plug outer which is ground (earth for us Brits).
I found the Jaz cable linked 5 v+ and Signal+, also 0v to Signal -. which could be how the Jaz selects charger / PC reader mode.
I Don't have an 808HD - yet, so this is just floating an Idea to help towards an explantation of what is being seen.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:18 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

I just tried to take a video with a generic and provided HD camera USB cables. Neither allowed charging.

I can plug in the car charger into a power converter and try to see if you can video with car charger connected.

Bill

EDIT: You can take a video with the car charger plugged into the USB. So the car charger should be marked for HD camera use and not get it confused with similar chargers. It's 5 volt output but so is my car power point charger which came with my Magellan GPS. I will check out and see if the GPS car charger will work and allow taking a video.
I can confirm taking video with the supplied charger plugged into my power outlet in my truck. I did it on the way home from taking my first videos with the HD. Took a 20 minute clip, closed and started a new 10 minute clip before I shut it down upon arriving home.

What I can't confirm is whether the supplied charger will charge only since I cannot get the red light to come on (i.e. charge, no video) while using the supplied charger.

Bill or someone, does your camera go into a charge only mode (red light) when using the charger?

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Just a random thought - The Jaz HD camera has an AC (wall wart) charger, which ends in a micro usb plug. This charger charges the Jaz ok.
Pluging the Jaz into a PC USB port - same micro USB socket - does NOT charge the Jaz, just allows you to read the SD card in the Jazz.
USB plugs have 5 connections, 5v+ from PC, Signal +, Signal -, 0V , and the plug outer which is ground (earth for us Brits).
I found the Jaz cable linked 5 v+ and Signal+, also 0v to Signal -. which could be how the Jaz selects charger / PC reader mode.
I Don't have an 808HD - yet, so this is just floating an Idea to help towards an explantation of what is being seen.
Mike
Yes, this is what I was referring to (without the specifics) way back in my post #167. Also, since the vendor has said the camera WILL both charge and shoot video when connected to its dedicated car charger cord, I will believe that until proven other wise.

I wouldn't rely on the lack of the normal red charging LED not turning on as positive proof that the battery is not charging, because the USB connection is different on the car charger cord than it would be when connected to the computer USB port.

A more positive test would be to shoot some video until the camera battery is discharged, erase and reinsert the flash card, then hook it up to the car charger cord and start shooting video again. If the camera records until the card is full, then as a minimum the camera is getting power from the charger and not the battery. If after the test you can erase the card, reinsert it, and shoot video with the camera disconnected from the charger cord, then the battery was also being charged while it was shooting video in the prior sequence.

Ideally both the red and yellow LEDs would light when shooting video when powered by the car charger, but it might not have been practical to do that with the circuit arrangement they have.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
I can confirm taking video with the supplied charger plugged into my power outlet in my truck. I did it on the way home from taking my first videos with the HD. Took a 20 minute clip, closed and started a new 10 minute clip before I shut it down upon arriving home.

What I can't confirm is whether the supplied charger will charge only since I cannot get the red light to come on (i.e. charge, no video) while using the supplied charger.

Bill or someone, does your camera go into a charge only mode (red light) when using the charger?

Yabba
Yabba,

Mine does not have the red charge indicator go on when connected to the charger. Go figure. I also have a handy little two port USB adapter that you plug into car power point (cigar lighter). I picked it up at the Black and Decker store to charge phones and other devices that work with a USB cable. Anyway, I plugged this two port USB adaper into the and the same power converter (110v to 12 v). Then I connected a standard, generic USB and plugged in the HD cam. The camera red charge light goes on. So, the potential may exist that the plug in car charger ONLY powers the camera so you can take videos but does NOT charge the HD key cam.

I will take photo of the USB two port adapter.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 05, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Jun 2010
100 Posts
OK Noob question.
where do your videos an pics get stored?
I fave three folders
DCIM-
100media

IMAGE-
record

VIDEO-
record
vlt

The image and video folders were created by the camera, but all images and videos are store in the DCIM/100media folder.
Does this make sense?
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:46 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz53 View Post
OK Noob question.
I fave three folders
DCIM-
DCIM/100Media/video file (PTDC in the case of my HD).

note: 100media may be something else with the HD. I'm experimenting with my hd right now and can't check so I used my #3 instead, same,same except not sure of the name of the folder that will open up from the DCIM folder.

Yabba
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
OK Noob question.
I fave three folders
DCIM-
100media

IMAGE-
record

VIDEO-
record
vlt

The image and video folders were created by the camera, but all images and videos are store in the DCIM/100media folder.
Does this make sense?

Yes, DCIM has the pictures and videos. Pictures are jpegs and videos are Quicktime movies (.mov).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:55 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
Mine just came in the mail today.....Took some test vids and I can't wait to strap it to my plane....By the way guy's keep up the good work for us noobs!
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Jun 2010
100 Posts
OK then why does the camera make the IMAGE and VIDEO folders and sub folders?
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:34 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
We don't know. It could be for some future use, or carry over from firmware for a different camera. Bottom line... does it matter? I'm happy as long as the video is recorded intact ANYWHERE on the SD card.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:35 AM
United States, TX, Waco
Joined Sep 2008
78 Posts
Do the sellers in post 2 sell the real #3. I am still working on my flying skills and need the cheaper one...lol...
crzytxn is offline Find More Posts by crzytxn
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:16 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzytxn View Post
Do the sellers in post 2 sell the real #3. I am still working on my flying skills and need the cheaper one...lol...
eletoponline365 still sells the #3, not sure about the others.
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:38 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
#7 does that too. Videos are stored in the video folder, JPEGs in the Images folder.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:10 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Just a heads up, when I received my camera yesterday, it did not work. The RESET hole was off on the case from the actual RESET switch, so when I pushed in "reset" the camera I broke off the switch. This actually helped, since the RESET switch was pressed in and wouldn't allow the camera to power on. The camera has since been removed from the its case and is ready for some in-flight videos...

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:32 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Focus Problem

Hi Everyone,

On close inspection I have discovered my camera has a problem with its focus. In the top half of the frame the focus is good, but in the bottom half it is poor. The attached picture of a brick wall shows the problem well. The problem is there in video / pictures and is there for more distant objects too. I think I have a bad lens.

I've contacted the the vendor (eletoponline365), but I'm keen to know if anyone else has a problem like this with large area of a frame out of focus?

Simon

Edit: I've attached a couple of video frames for comparison. Same problem!
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Last edited by sgbfly; Jan 06, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:41 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
I ordered from the same vendor. Still waiting for it. I let you know. When did you order it?
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:01 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
I ordered from the same vendor. Still waiting for it. I let you know. When did you order it?
8th December. It arrived between Christmas and new year but I've had very little time to use it. I only noticed the problem after I had removed the timestamp and checked the lower right corner of the frame. Rechecking earlier videos I see the problem was there from the start

To be fair the seller eletoponline365 has been very helpful in the past!

Simon
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:54 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Good luck with that, I did notice the left side of the demo video was not in focus. Here's the one I commented on, back on the MEGA thread. It may be that with HD it's more noticeable, but my old #3's are quite good, but have quite big lenses
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:33 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Good luck with that, I did notice the left side of the demo video was not in focus. Here's the one I commented on, back on the MEGA thread. It may be that with HD it's more noticeable, but my old #3's are quite good, but have quite big lenses
Thanks for the reply. The demo pic is much better than mine which has more than half out of focus. Whilst we are unlikely to get the perfect picture I'm hoping most (if not all) are better than mine. I also have several #3's and most are very good. I do have one that has a blurred area like in the demo pic.

Plan B will be to refocus myself & try and find a happy medium but I will see what the vendor has to say first.

Simon
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:53 PM
ptg
Barjetling Academy #1
Joined Apr 2005
361 Posts
Well known problem !
Refocusing does not help.
Reason is bad CHIP !
ptg is offline Find More Posts by ptg
Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:06 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptg View Post
Well known problem !
Refocusing does not help.
Reason is bad CHIP !
Can you elaborate a little in case I need to suggest this to the vendor.

Thanks
Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:08 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
On close inspection I have discovered my camera has a problem with its focus. In the top half of the frame the focus is good, but in the bottom half it is poor. The attached picture of a brick wall shows the problem well. The problem is there in video / pictures and is there for more distant objects too. I think I have a bad lens.

I've contacted the the vendor (eletoponline365), but I'm keen to know if anyone else has a problem like this with large area of a frame out of focus?
I wonder if the lens is cross-threaded?
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/#CrossThreadedLens
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Fuzzy focus in one area of video

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I've contacted the vendor (eletoponline365), but I'm keen to know if anyone else has a problem like this with large area of a frame out of focus?

Simon

Edit: I've attached a couple of video frames for comparison. Same problem!
Simon, it would be normal for focus to drop off towards the edges with the fairly cheap lenses in these cameras, especially true with the much wider sensor array in the HD camera that the lens has to cover with a focused image.

But in your pictures, for just the bottom portion of the image to be fuzzy like that, the lens would have to be poorly centered in the module (doubtful), cross-threaded (possible, it HAS been reported on the old 808 camera), or might have a smudge (or scratch) on one of the lens elements or on the CMOS sensor array behind the lens.

I'd clean the lens front surface first with lens cleaner solution and lens cleaning paper. It's best to blow/brush off any dust with a lens cleaning squeeze-bulb-blower brush before applying cleaning solution. It's hard to get into the edges of the lens in front, but I've done it with a wooden tooth pick with the lens tissue folded on the end. Shoot a test video to see if that helped.

If the fuzzy area is still there, the easiest resolution would be to get a replacment camera from the vendor if you don't mind the delay and/or possibly having to return your camera. But if you are like me, I'd try to fix it first.

I'd first mark the lens and base alignment with a very thin line of paint across them where the threads meet the body, then very slightly (less than 1/4 turn) turn the lens clockwise. This will change the focus to favor more distant objects, which I would normally do anyway without this fuzzy focus problem. Shoot another video and compare the fuzzy area location. If it moved with the lens, then a lens element is dirty, scratched, or not properly aligned. If it stays in the same place, then the lens could be cross-threaded or the CMOS sensor could be dirty or faulty.

If you want to further investigate:
  • Unscrew the lens from the base module. Be careful to not let any dust into the inside of the base.
  • Inspect the threads on the lens and base for possible cross-threading, and if it looks like there was, try to correct by realigning when you put it back.
  • Clean the back side of the lens with lens cleaning solution and tissue. Also, if it looks like there is a smudge on the CMOS sensor, very lightly clean it the same way (I've done that on my #3 camera without problem).
  • Re-assemble, re-align the lens near where you started, and shoot some sample video before closing the case. Hopefully the fuzziness will be gone! If so, re-focus the lens and put a drop of glue at the thread/base junction to keep the lens in position. I prefer silicone adhesive for this because it is more easily removed if re-focusing is needed later.
  • If the fuzziness is still there, then one of the lens elements must smudged internally, scratched, or misaligned, or the CMOS array is faulty. A replacement lens would be needed as a minimum, or a whole new sensor module (i.e. a replacement camera) to fix the problem.
Good luck with whatever solution you choose. Let us know the outcome!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 06, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: grammar & spelling
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
55 Posts
I don't have an HD, but in the past have had problems getting some devices to charge when a "dumb" USB charger is connected. It turns out that if the device believes it is connected to a live, intelligent USB port, it will not draw charging current until it has negotiated permission to do so with the USB hub controller. But if it believes it is connected to a dumb port, which is just a source of +5VDC, it will go ahead and charge because there's nobody there to negotiate with.

The modern standard is that dumb chargers identify themselves as such by having the two Data lines shorted together, but not otherwise connected to the other pins or the shell. This standard isn't universally followed, but I have built such a dumb charger, and I haven't found anything yet that wouldn't charge when connected to it.

If the car charger can be disassembled, it would be interesting to see if it's anything more than a power source, and if not, how the Data pins are connected.
wayback is online now Find More Posts by wayback
Old Jan 06, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
I got my HD camera this morning... I've removed the time/date, worked as expected! I then tweaked the focus, but I found that I had to turn the lens counterclockwise for a more distant focal point! This is the opposite of my #8 and #3 cameras. I didn't pull the lens out far enough to tell if the threads were reversed or not though, but I assume they are. I'll have to test it a bit more later, but I think the focus is pretty close right now. I did a quick comparison between a #3 and the HD "#11" to compare the field of view. This is something I was wondering about, as the narrow FOV of the #3, and even worse the #8 is something that bugged me. I'm happy to report that the FOV on the HD camera is much larger! Here's a picture to show the difference. Left is a #3, right is the HD. They're both resized for a smaller image, but the relative proportion between the two are the same, and neither is cropped.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 04:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
I got my HD camera this morning... I've removed the time/date, worked as expected! I then tweaked the focus, but I found that I had to turn the lens counterclockwise for a more distant focal point! This is the opposite of my #8 and #3 cameras. I didn't pull the lens out far enough to tell if the threads were reversed or not though, but I assume they are. I'll have to test it a bit more later, but I think the focus is pretty close right now. I did a quick comparison between a #3 and the HD "#11" to compare the field of view. This is something I was wondering about, as the narrow FOV of the #3, and even worse the #8 is something that bugged me. I'm happy to report that the FOV on the HD camera is much larger! Here's a picture to show the difference. Left is a #3, right is the HD. They're both resized for a smaller image, but the relative proportion between the two are the same, and neither is cropped.
Your FOV comparison seems to match quite well with the FOV test back in post #314... maybe you missed that one? Your two images side-by-side, though, shows how much larger the HD video will display on your PC with equal or better resolution when played back at 100% recorded frame size (I assume those images are individual video frame captures, not still pictures). This alone makes the HD camera worth a lot more to me.

The focus issue is perplexing, though... seems unlikely you'd get one with reverse threads. Did you shoot some video before adjusting the focus? Is it possible your camera came mis-adjusted with the lens too far in (beyond good distant focus point), so backing it out actually made your desired focus better?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 06, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
I did miss that post!

Yeah I did shoot video with it before opening it up, and it seemed the focal point was about 5 or 6 feet away. I opened it up and screwed the lens in about 1/8th turn, then tried again, and it was blurry. It shot great macro video though... lol So then I took one half off the case and went outside, and let it start recording, then screwed the lens back out to where it was stock, then 1/8th out, and finally 1/4 turn out. Then I came back in and watched the video. It seems that right around 1/8 turn out from stock is best, at least with mine! One thing I did notice is that the lens stick out a lot more, much more area to grab on to turn it than the #3 and #8 cameras. It was also not glued in like they were, it just turns freely, with just enough friction to stop it from moving on it's own. The whole sensor is glued into the plastic case much better too.

I can post some picture of it with the case open if anyone wants to see it!
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:59 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Thanks!

Tom & Airmob,

Thanks for your thoughts. I am going to wait for the vendors reply first & I will post their reply here (tomorrow hopefully). I am inclined to have a go myself but it's sensible to hear their reply first.

Tom your suggestions are well described and logical. Many thanks.

Simon
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:05 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
I attempted re-focusing my HD camera a found the Clockwise made the focus worse. I never attempted CCW. Go figure. Thanks.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:46 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:

A more positive test would be to shoot some video until the camera battery is discharged, erase and reinsert the flash card, then hook it up to the car charger cord and start shooting video again. If the camera records until the card is full, then as a minimum the camera is getting power from the charger and not the battery. If after the test you can erase the card, reinsert it, and shoot video with the camera disconnected from the charger cord, then the battery was also being charged while it was shooting video in the prior sequence.

Ideally both the red and yellow LEDs would light when shooting video when powered by the car charger, but it might not have been practical to do that with the circuit arrangement they have.
Okay, I got the answer to my question by following Tom's test procedure (sort of).

The answer is, the car charger does charge without the red light. It also charges when you turn the camera on and shoot video.

In other words, it does what the vendor sez, you just don't get a red light like when you hook up to the computer's usb port.

And yes, that is my final answer.

Yabba
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I got the answer to my question by following Tom's test procedure (sort of).

The answer is, the car charger does charge without the red light. It also charges when you turn the camera on and shoot video.

In other words, it does what the vendor sez, you just don't get a red light like when you hook up to the computer's usb port.

Yabba
Imagine that! Thanks for taking the time to do the test, Yabba!
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Tom & Airmob,

Thanks for your thoughts. I am going to wait for the vendors reply first & I will post their reply here (tomorrow hopefully). I am inclined to have a go myself but it's sensible to hear their reply first.

Tom your suggestions are well described and logical. Many thanks.

Simon
I probably went into more detail than needed, but thought others may have a similar question later, so took the opportunity to spell out a process to zero in on the cause and possible soultions. I linked the thread in my FAQ Post#3 for future reference.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:14 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:

Yabba

I tested this today also and came to the same conclusion.
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:18 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
I attempted re-focusing my HD camera a found the Clockwise made the focus worse. I never attempted CCW. Go figure. Thanks.

Bill
Hmmm... now you've really got me wondering if it's a reverse thread on where the lens focus starts at as received. If the lens threads are left hand, I'll be surprised. One thing for sure is that moving the lens closer to the CMOS sensor will move the focal point further away. I hope to have my camera tomorrow and will zero in on this.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:19 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
I tested this today also and came to the same conclusion.

Yep, with the recent posts about "dumb chargers" I was statrting to think he was talking about me.

Now I guess there are at least 2 of us dumb chargers

Yabba
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:27 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:

Yep, with the recent posts about "dumb chargers" I was statrting to think he was talking about me.

Yabba

Guilty as charged
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:43 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:

Yabba
Good one Yabba - shot my theory down in flames
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:34 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:

Yabba
Way to go Yabba! Practical testing trumps speculation!
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,119 Posts
looks like a variant of this camera came out:

http://www.nitrorcx.com/86p-948h-hd-minicam.html

also recording to .mov container, and 1280X720, probably designed from the same company,
wallaguest1 is online now Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:33 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
They (hobbypartz/nitroplanes/xheli/nitrorcx) announced those about the same time the HD keychain cameras started to pop up... I wonder if they are coming from the same factories? There are a few differences though, besides just the physical layout. Like HDMI out, macro focus, 8MP interpolated images, etc.

I made my first "real" video using the HD 808 camera this evening, and I have to say that I'm impressed, and quite happy with it! I ran one of my boats with my HD GoPro onboard, and just as an afterthought, I grabbed the keychain camera and stuck it on a clothespin, and clipped it to my hat so I had that extra angle from my point of view. The video came out really good from it! I quickly edited a video together using footage from both cameras, and it's uploading now, but will take a while. (256Kbps upload speeds out here) Once it's done I'll post it here!
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:24 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing a comparison. Thanks.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:42 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
The video is finally uploaded, but it's acting kinda strange. It doesn't play all the way through and the sound is messed up towards the end. I guess it lost something on it's path across all that copper between here and there... I'm not uploading it again though, not now at least!

None the less, you can still see enough to get the point across!

Again, the footage from my point of view on the bank was from the HD keychain camera, while the camera on the boat was the GoPro Hero HD.

R/C boat with Aquacraft EP-1 Outboard (9 min 24 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:22 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
That looks pretty good. Not a patch on the Hero, but it's only 1/6th the price.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:17 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Simon,

......Good luck with whatever solution you choose. Let us know the outcome!
OK, An update:

Quote:
Simon Say's Dear eletoponline365,

The instructions you sent me for removing the timestamp were good. Thank-you.

However, I have one problem. The images or video from the camera are not sharp in the bottom of the frame. At the top of the frame the focus is good. I will send you an email with a sample picture. Do you think there is a problem with my camera?

Thanks for your help.

Simon
And the reply,

Quote:

dear friend,
would you like sent me many sample about the photos and videos, let me check it carefully.

i will help you.

- eletoponline365
Fair enough so far

But, the weather is horrible today so eletoponline365 may have to wait

Edit, I've just sent 10 pics and 2 vids and I've had an automated reply informing me its the weekend and our friend eletoponline365 is out of office. I'm in no hurry......(& I ordered another one earlier this week anyway)
Last edited by sgbfly; Jan 07, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:44 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
This looks like the same cam, but in different package?

http://cgi.ebay.nl/720P-Audi-Motion-...ht_3570wt_1140

From the price point of view, I expect it to be real 720P... For us the protected TF card slot could be interesting (I one had one card jumping out into the grass...). And motion detect? Records when aircraft is moving?
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:12 AM
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2009
57 Posts
No, it is AVI version, the 808HD keychain is MOV (H.264). I think this new type is interpolated from 640x480, same as version #3 keychain.
DaggyMAC is offline Find More Posts by DaggyMAC
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:43 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm... now you've really got me wondering if it's a reverse thread on where the lens focus starts at as received. If the lens threads are left hand, I'll be surprised. One thing for sure is that moving the lens closer to the CMOS sensor will move the focal point further away. I hope to have my camera tomorrow and will zero in on this.
The threads are standard not CCW.

At least on my 808HD I turn the lens CW (looking from the front at the lens) and the lens screws into the body. Turning CCW, the lens comes away from the body (and sensor)

Unless you're in Australia where everything is upside down

YMMV but I doubt it

Yabba
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:59 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
The threads are standard not CCW.

At least on my 808HD I turn the lens CW (looking from the front at the lens) and the lens screws into the body. Turning CCW, the lens comes away from the body (and sensor)

Unless you're in Australia where everything is upside down

YMMV but I doubt it

Yabba
Be careful screwing it in too far - I don't think there's a mechanical stop in my 808SD's and maybe could screw down to impact the CMOS. Hate to speculate but fair warning until proven otherwise.

Also speculating that the tolerances on the plastic screw might allow very slight wallowing of the barrel, so that could make off focus to one side or top. The slight off focus we see is not like the cross thread case, IMO.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:04 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Be careful screwing it in too far - I don't think there's a mechanical stop in my 808SD's and maybe could screw down to impact the CMOS. Hate to speculate but fair warning until proven otherwise.

Also speculating that the tolerances on the plastic screw might allow very slight wallowing of the barrel, so that could make off focus to one side or top. The slight off focus we see is not like the cross thread case, IMO.
Thanks for that. I'm going to try today to focus it better. I didn't plan on going more then 1/4 turn in either direction anyway but it's good to have a heads up.

I put 3 tic marks on the front of the lens at 0, -90 and +90 so I think if I can't get what I want in a quarter turn I'll just go back to zero and call it good.

Yabba
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:15 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
For us the protected TF card slot could be interesting (I one had one card jumping out into the grass...).
From the other thread, a lot of us use a small dab of hot glue over the end of the card/slot to keep the card from ejecting accidently. It peels off with your thumbnail if you need to get the card out.

A piece of tape will do the same thing.

We learned the hard way when we'd lose a $20 card in a $10 camera when we crashed.

At least now, with the 808HD, the card isn't twice the price of the camera, the camera is twice the price of the card

Yabba
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:27 PM
United States, DE, Townsend
Joined Jun 2007
199 Posts
I just did a test record on the way to work on my 1 hour commute. The video says in the direction, that it automatically cuts the video every 20 minutes. So with that said when I try to watch a video from the 2 20 minute clips from the beginning the video comes up as an error. I did some more testing, If I end the video manually before 20 minutes the video is fine. A 21 min. video comes up with an error: Error- 2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie (PTDC0004.MOV)
autorail1 is offline Find More Posts by autorail1
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autorail1 View Post
I just did a test record on the way to work on my 1 hour commute. The video says in the direction, that it automatically cuts the video every 20 minutes. So with that said when I try to watch a video from the 2 20 minute clips from the beginning the video comes up as an error. I did some more testing, If I end the video manually before 20 minutes the video is fine. A 21 min. video comes up with an error: Error- 2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie (PTDC0004.MOV)
I'd like to have one of those clips to look at, but they must be over 1GB each and too big to post. What player are you using that gives this error? What happens with a different player?

I'll get in touch with my camera source contact to see what's going on with this. Can any one else confirm this with a different camera?

BTW... be very careful!... bad public movie atoms can be hazardous to your health!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 07, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:49 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
From the other thread, a lot of us use a small dab of hot glue over the end of the card/slot to keep the card from ejecting accidently. It peels off with your thumbnail if you need to get the card out.

A piece of tape will do the same thing.

We learned the hard way when we'd lose a $20 card in a $10 camera when we crashed.

At least now, with the 808HD, the card isn't twice the price of the camera, the camera is twice the price of the card

Yabba
Thanks! Talking about the cards..... Exactly today I came back with a dead 8 GB card .... None of my PC's (different kinds of SD adapters used, different readers etc.....) recognize it. Volume doesn't even show up in the disc manager. Seems to be completely dead. It's an original Kingston. So I can conclude that the camera destroyed my card!
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! Talking about the cards..... Exactly today I came back with a dead 8 GB card .... None of my PC's (different kinds of SD adapters used, different readers etc.....) recognize it. Volume doesn't even show up in the disc manager. Seems to be completely dead. It's an original Kingston. So I can conclude that the camera destroyed my card!
Well not quite... you can only conclude that the card was in the camera when it died. This could happen in ANY camera.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:01 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Thanks Tom for this correction! You're absolutely right! I was a bit too frustrated I think .
Closed Thread