Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post

Maybe I could get Prof100 to walk me through it

Yabba AKA Bob
If you REALLY want to try it, see post 12. Five easy steps!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:42 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Tom,

I googled it as well I just wanted to make sure there are no shadow versions of the software that have paid to to the front of the line in google and look like freeware, but end up sending you a virus at no extra charge or only offer an older version of the software. Is this the one you installed?

Windows

2.5.4 Install, Berlios.de, SourceForge,
MD5 : e05b2758c1cf27f25a10f2d351b5e0fc

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:22 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Tom,

I googled it as well I just wanted to make sure there are no shadow versions of the software that have paid to to the front of the line in google and look like freeware, but end up sending you a virus at no extra charge or only offer an older version of the software. Is this the one you installed?

Windows

2.5.4 Install, Berlios.de, SourceForge,
MD5 : e05b2758c1cf27f25a10f2d351b5e0fc

Bill
Yes... same one. I normally use the Sourceforge mirror for most all my editing tools, like Vdub, ffdshow, etc.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:29 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Yes... same one. I normally use the Sourceforge mirror for most all my editing tools, like Vdub, ffdshow, etc.
Tom,

I am going to download and install it.

Question on Windows 7 -- Have you tried using your flash drive for READY BOOST? I have 6GB ram but another 4 GB can't hurt.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:42 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

I am going to download and install it.

Question on Windows 7 -- Have you tried using your flash drive for READY BOOST? I have 6GB ram but another 4 GB can't hurt.

Bill
No I haven't. I bought my W7 box right as W7 was about to go with formal release, and knowing I would be doing HD editing, I opted for 12GB of ram and 1TB of HD space!
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:03 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
No I haven't. I bought my W7 box right as W7 was about to go with formal release, and knowing I would be doing HD editing, I opted for 12GB of ram and 1TB of HD space!
Mine has 1 TB of HD space and 6 GB RAM. With the flash drive you can easily add 4GB provided the flash drive is fast enough. I believe the max is 32 GB that can be used. I set mine to 4 GB ready boost.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:42 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Tom,

I just downloade the Win32 version. I processed a video. It did open with a warning about handling 264 codecs and it said it would use something else to process it with a warning. That said, it's another great program with another learning curve. Too bad I have to back to work Monday and progress will be slowed to learn it. I save it with average quality and played in Windows Media Player although it said it might not play, it did.

Thanks for the good work in finding this great piece of software.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:20 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
911 Posts
Slightly off subject but Norton, which I agree is bloated, is available free to all Comcast customers that use their internet service.

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:00 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
Slightly off subject but Norton, which I agree is bloated, is available free to all Comcast customers that use their internet service.

Tom
Tom,

For some reason Comcast offering Norton bloatware for free is no surprise.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:08 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
When I bought a new laptop recently, I specifically ordered one with XP instead of W7, which I despise. I guess M$ must get their tribute by forcing PC users to move to a new OS every few years. XP support will end in 2014. Personally, I would have never left W2000 if support had continued for it.

Tony
I'm with you, Tony! My netbook is XP, got it before the rush to W7 which requires a big (well 160GB heheh) spinning hard drive instead of my SSD.

As for antivirus, free Avast works great and is compact
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:19 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I too, downloaded AVI demux, and was able to play around with it a little.. I could apply filters and play what I think was the filtered video in the softwares display, but I could not for the life of me, figure out how to render it to a saved file to either post online or save it on the H.D. ?? Any help here would be appreciated. And how do you split clip and remove unwanted raw segments?

Thanks

Pat.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:33 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
When I bought a new laptop recently, I specifically ordered one with XP instead of W7, which I despise. I guess M$ must get their tribute by forcing PC users to move to a new OS every few years. XP support will end in 2014. Personally, I would have never left W2000 if support had continued for it.

Tony
Tony,

Once you figure out all its quirks of W7 (and I have not but am getting close) it is actually quite good. I totally avoided the Vista scourge on the machines I use although my last laptop was eligible for a free upgrade. I never took advantage of that free offer. However, my daughter's laptop was inflicted with Vista. That said, I am actually liking W7 64 bit but I am running it on a laptop powered by Intel I7 with 6 GB RAM, 1TB hard drive and a Radeon HD 5650 graphics card with 1024MB of DDR3. I like Windows Live Essentials. The W7 email program is excellent. The new Windows 7 Moviemaker is easy to use. This machine came with IE8. Now that's a case of taking a step backward with the next generation of a program.

Now back to the HD Key Chain Camera.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 02, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:52 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
aslo, avidemux will not recognize the codec for the audio on my #8 camera. Does anyone know a fix for this?

P.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:56 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
I too, downloaded AVI demux, and was able to play around with it a little.. I could apply filters and play what I think was the filtered video in the softwares display, but I could not for the life of me, figure out how to render it to a saved file to either post online or save it on the H.D. ?? Any help here would be appreciated. And how do you split clip and remove unwanted raw segments?

Thanks

Pat.
Pat,

Just click Save and it will prompt you.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:59 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
aslo, avidemux will not recognize the codec for the audio on my #8 camera. Does anyone know a fix for this?

P.
Good question. On the one HD video I loaded it kind of scrambled the audio.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:23 AM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,038 Posts
quick note on old VS new HDs

I recieved 3 more 808HD cams yesterday (purchased 12-17,shipped 12-19). My original was paid+ shipped 12-9 and I'm not going to touch that one.
The three new ones don't have any dark spots like my first, its too foggy and rainy out to do any tests for the vignetting in the sky, and maybe later I will try the date removal on one. However were are all ordered for friends so if I brick one I will have to pony up my own.
There is one difference however which might help identify the older ones. My old one is the only one with a round QC sticker on the side seam
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:28 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
I recieved 3 more 808HD cams yesterday (purchased 12-17,shipped 12-19). My original was paid+ shipped 12-9 and I'm not going to touch that one.
The three new ones don't have any dark spots like my first, its too foggy and rainy out to do any tests for the vignetting in the sky, and maybe later I will try the date removal on one. However were are all ordered for friends so if I brick one I will have to pony up my own.
There is one difference however which might help identify the older ones. My old one is the only one with a round QC sticker on the side seam
Well, you can throw that hypothesis out. My 12-19 ordered HD camera I removed the date stamp from has the round QC sticker on the side seam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:31 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
<<snip>>
Uhoh, mine has it also.

How about the guys who have been able to take the datestamp off? Do they have the QC sticker or not?

Yabba

You're too quick for my typing thumbs Bill. Thanks for the info.

Y.
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:37 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Uhoh, mine has it also.

How about the guys who have been able to take the datestamp off? Do they have the QC sticker or not?

Yabba

You're too quick for my typing thumbs Bill. Thanks for the info.

Y.
Yabba,

Likewise on your posts of really cool videos from your flying field.

I still picture a barrel or a large bin of HD keycams at the vendor where lot and batch control is not maintained.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:42 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Video Editing

Maybe the AviScripts and Avi Demux should have a link in post #4 Tom? At the rate this thread is going it's going to take over the Mega thread handle real quick and it is already starting to have some things repeated quite often.

Maybe some links would help a few of the guys out a little.

Just my two cents worth,

Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:44 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
I still picture a barrel or a large bin of HD keycams at the vendor where lot and batch control is not maintained.

Bill

Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:53 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
If you REALLY want to try it, see post 12. Five easy steps!
NO ! Nonononono.

"Easy Steps"! This is Yabba you are talking to remember? There are no easy steps when Yabba is involved

Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
About the audio codec, try installing VLC, and if its still not recognized install something like Combined community codec pack

On a side note, I use Windows 7 x64 on all my computers and like it a lot better than XP.
volto is online now Find More Posts by volto
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

I just downloade the Win32 version. I processed a video. It did open with a warning about handling 264 codecs and it said it would use something else to process it with a warning. That said, it's another great program with another learning curve. Too bad I have to back to work Monday and progress will be slowed to learn it. I save it with average quality and played in Windows Media Player although it said it might not play, it did.

Thanks for the good work in finding this great piece of software.

Bill
I've just answered "No" to that first alert. I think the interface is a bit simpler to use than Vdub, but theres a few quirks to learn. It has input and output panes just like Vdub, but you have to toggle them on. I plan to have some tips for it's use in my reserved Post#4 when I get a chance. If you are re-encoding rather than just trimming and copying, I found that using the "2 pass-average bit rate" setting twill produce quality virtually identical to the original if you set the bit rate to 7000 kbps to match the camera native bit rate, and the two passes go pretty fast on my W7 box, especially if your CPU has multi-threading capability (set in tools/preferences).
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:47 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
FFdshow is a codec package that might help some folks. Works for me. It's not possible to create a tutorial here for all the various editing software types, IMO. I personally think you get what you pay for - the free software can use up a lot of flying time!!! I do use Vdub and Avidemux, but only for clips. I prefer Ulead for final video assembly, but to each his own

Maybe there are links to video editing forums that might help??
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:

Thanks

Pat.
To clip, mark in/out points with "A" and "B" markers, just like Vdub's "arrow icon" markers. Once region is bracketed, select "delete" from key board or menu.

To render to a saved file, select "Save/save video" from the file menu!
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Maybe the AviScripts and Avi Demux should have a link in post #4 Tom? At the rate this thread is going it's going to take over the Mega thread handle real quick and it is already starting to have some things repeated quite often.

Maybe some links would help a few of the guys out a little.

Just my two cents worth,

Yabba
I plan to do that when I have time to compile some guides. Maybe I can find a user guide for AVIdemux as a minimum.

I'm finding a number of new thread posters don't seem to start at the beginning where I reserved those pages anyway, so it may not solve anything.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:57 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks very much.... sorry I know this is not the editing thread.

Where would I post these questions.?

Thanks for the delete, did not stumble across that yet. I successfully saved a video file, but, I cant find the matching toggles in the 3 drop downs that will let me successfully change the contrast and sharpness, AND lay down a mp3 file for the sound. Copy, copy, and AVI works, but, it wont allow any image filters. If there is another thread for this let me know.

P.
Also, These are saved as generic files that I have to assign a program to open them with, so will youtube and vimeo still play them on upload??
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:08 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:

My comment above was not pointing at your questions which are perfectly legitimate, but only the magnitude of the problem to support all the software possibilities in one thread.

Here's a decent tutorial for Avidemux, that forum is good for video in general

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...y-video-format

Good luck!
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the delete, did not stumble across that yet. I successfully saved a video file, but, I cant find the matching toggles in the 3 drop downs that will let me successfully change the contrast and sharpness, AND lay down a mp3 file for the sound. Copy, copy, and AVI works, but, it wont allow any image filters. If there is another thread for this let me know.

P.
Also, These are saved as generic files that I have to assign a program to open them with, so will youtube and vimeo still play them on upload??
The copy function does NOT allow any filters, since that modifies the original, and you would no longer be copying (just like Vdub). To change the codecs and use the filters for video and audio, you do that right in the main window by hitting the arrow in their respective selection drop down boxes. You need to have a load video before the filters drop down will do anything. The filters are grouped into categories according to what they do (easier than Vdub for me). The contrast filter is in the "color" heading, and sharpness filter is in the "sharpness" heading. Mp3 is int he Audio drop down box.

The files are save in the "container" you select in the "Format" drop down box on the main window, not a "generic" file. BUT, the program does NOT automatically add the file tag suffix to the file name when you save it (why, I don't know), which makes it look generic, but it's only the icon that is affected! So if you save an .MP4 file type, be sure you type ".MP4" to whatever name you give the video when you save it. Then the icon will associate with whatever program you have for that file type. Alternatively, you can add the file type extension by renaming the file after you save it if you forget to do it when first saved.

Vimeo and Youtube should have no trouble accepting the files with the correct file extension... not sure if what happens if you leave it off.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 02, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:20 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
As a user of the old #3 key chain cam (720 x 480) this looks really great. I think I'll be ordering one real soon. Has anyone tried re-focusing the lense? These look like they have the same lense type as the old #3 camera. I manually focused my #3 using it in webcam mode to have a real time view from the camera, and it vastly improved the video quality. The focus from the factory seemed more suited to close up video. I focused it on a neighbor's deck about 100 yards away and it made my aerial videos much crisper with more detail.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Editing Info

OK, I added some info and links to help folks with basic editing in my reserved post #4. More tips can be added when I get a chance to compile them, but I'm focusing on AviDemux as the best basic freeware editor at this point. I don't want to start adding a bunch of commercial editor info.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 02, 2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added link
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
As a user of the old #3 key chain cam (720 x 480) this looks really great. I think I'll be ordering one real soon. Has anyone tried re-focusing the lense? These look like they have the same lense type as the old #3 camera. I manually focused my #3 using it in webcam mode to have a real time view from the camera, and it vastly improved the video quality. The focus from the factory seemed more suited to close up video. I focused it on a neighbor's deck about 100 yards away and it made my aerial videos much crisper with more detail.

Doug
For best results, refocusing the lense is needed and done the same way as the old 808 cameras. I think one or two users have already done it.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:52 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
Quote:
For best results, refocusing the lense is needed and done the same way as the old 808 cameras. I think one or two users have already done it.
Cool! and thanks.... I'm going to order one!

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:17 PM
placentia, ca.
Joined Mar 2008
99 Posts
ive been reading the posts....is this camera well worth it? what sellers do you guys recommend? ive noticed different versions mentioned...should i wait or should i buy...
apok is offline Find More Posts by apok
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apok View Post
ive been reading the posts....is this camera well worth it? what sellers do you guys recommend? ive noticed different versions mentioned...should i wait or should i buy...
Go to the 2nd post of this thread. Four resellers are listed. All are the same company anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:03 PM
placentia, ca.
Joined Mar 2008
99 Posts
Quote:
Go to the 2nd post of this thread. Four resellers are listed. All are the same company anyway.
ive checked the seller you recommended(eletoponline365)....theres like different prices 39-42 dollars...whats the diff?
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
ive checked the seller you recommended(eletoponline365)....theres like different prices 39-42 dollars...whats the diff?
A few $$!
This is eBay... different ads posted at different times with very slightly different pricing. ... same camera. Sometimes there will be a one day sale ad post for several dollars less, but if you don't look daily, you'll miss it.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
What Tom said. The prices vary like pork bellys on on Chicago Mercantile.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:21 PM
placentia, ca.
Joined Mar 2008
99 Posts
ok then....thanks for the replies! then is this the next recommended keychain camera or are you guys still doing the prelimanary testings and shall we wait for the conclusion, btw...pictures looks great ?
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
ok then....thanks for the replies! then is this the next recommended keychain camera or are you guys still doing the prelimanary testings and shall we wait for the conclusion, btw...pictures looks great ?
If you like the picture, what will you wait for? Lower prices may come, but it would likely be many, many months (as I found with the old 808) if they come at all. We are giving feedback to the vendors on things we would like to see added, but there's no beta testing that I know of going on.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:32 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Here's another seller, I have no experience with him, he sells with or without cards

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Car-Key-Camer...item4aa74298b8
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:36 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Mine works great. It plays in Windows 7 media player. There are plenty of freeware editing and conversion programs that you can download to trim and adjust your video.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:42 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Yabba is a computer Geek

Hey guys, I DID IT !!!

All by myself even Just by following post #12's instructions

Check out the lower right corner and don't say nuthin about my messy bench Nakelp, pay backs are tuff )

HD No Timestamp (0 min 12 sec)

Yabba

Next up, focusing for distance !!!
Last edited by Yabba; Jan 02, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:28 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I DID IT !!!

Ha, I figured you'd eventually try it. Nice drone, where can I get my hands on one of those? Answered this on my own, the MQ-9
I flew my hd cam in the wind this morning and had a lot of wavy jello footage. Do you just velcro mount your cam? Strap it down or what?
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Last edited by lostheli; Jan 02, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Yabba,

Congrats.

Were you nervous?

Focus is easy. Two screws and open it up. Small needle nose plier and screw it in to focus further out. Screw it out to bring the focus closer. On my two #3's it took 1/4 turn in to improve the focus for distance shots. I found it was better to test with a video then the webcam.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Quote:
. . . but there's no beta testing that I know of going on.
Didn't you know you guys are the beta testers? The evil scheme is to throw it out on the market and let the guys at RCG work out all the kinks.

Tony (only half joking)
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:17 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
WOW how did this thread get to 9 pages in just 4-5 days?
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
WOW how did this thread get to 9 pages in just 4-5 days?
We burned up a page of bandwidth listening to me whine about not being able to remove the time stamp. Eventually, I was successful.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:37 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks tom for the editing tips.

P.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:28 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
Ha, I figured you'd eventually try it. Nice drone, where can I get my hands on one of those? Answered this on my own, the MQ-9
I flew my hd cam in the wind this morning and had a lot of wavy jello footage. Do you just velcro mount your cam? Strap it down or what?
Yeah, I knew I'd try it too. It was just a matter of screwing up my courage abit. Kind of like when you perform surgery on a lipo pack to remove a bad cell, you kind of have to be in the right frame of mind and figure "what the hell, what's the worse that can happen, burn down the house or something?"

On my Radian, I just use velco only but I mount it about 6 inches out on the wing just forward of the high point so the camera is pointing at a downward angle. Plus, remember, the Radian is a powered sailplane so once at altitude I cut the throttle so there isn't any motor vibration at all.

Another good spot on the Radian is the obvious spot right behind the canopy on top of the fuse. You can point it fore,aft or sideways but once again, no motor = no jello.

On my Taylorcraft and Beaver I mount it at several different spots but always on a hard point (center sheeting, bulkhead, wing servo plywood cover etc.) and I try to mount it as solid as possible because I don't have the luxuary of throttle off so there is always some vibration.

I use blue painters tape to secure the camera to a solid spot.

On the 808HD videos taken with the Taylorcraft I tried a new mounting idea. I used a piece of triangular trailing edge stock mounted to the plywood aileron servo cover on the bottom of the wing to help angle the camera down. The problem has been that I prefer to mount my camera right side up but my camera buttons are so touchy that I had to just use velcro between the camera and the te stock so the camera hung rather loosely or it would shut off when snugged up tight. This has resulted in a lot of waviness in the vids using this mount. I am trying to come up with a better mount.

My blog has a video of the Beav (#3 non HD) and the way I mounted it straight to the bulkhead.

These HD cameras are really great, we just need a better way to mount because they seem to accentuate thewaviness.

Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:31 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Yabba,

Congrats.

Were you nervous?

Focus is easy. Two screws and open it up. Small needle nose plier and screw it in to focus further out. Screw it out to bring the focus closer. On my two #3's it took 1/4 turn in to improve the focus for distance shots. I found it was better to test with a video then the webcam.

Bill
Nervous? Moi ? I knew for sure I was going to let the magic smoke out.

I'm going to try to focus sometime this week. I'll probably just take my laptop to the soccer field, shoot a clip, check it and do again until I get it right.

1/4 in. Ok, I start with going in a little at a time. Thanks Bill
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Nervous? Moi ? I knew for sure I was going to let the magic smoke out.

I'm going to try to focus sometime this week. I'll probably just take my laptop to the soccer field, shoot a clip, check it and do again until I get it right.

1/4 in. Ok, I start with going in a little at a time. Thanks Bill
Just shoot down that fence and see where the fence is most in focus.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:28 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Yabba,

I tried the 1/4 turn clockwise adjustment in the evening watch Sunday night football. 1/4 turn clockwise appears to be too much and the indoor videos from 2 feet to 10 feet were out of focus. So, I dialed it back to 1/16th of turn clockwise and will test it tomorrow in daylight.

Bill

EDIT:

During the day on Monday I took another video and I didn't like it. I have returned the focus to the factory setting.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 03, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:03 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I DID IT !!!

Yabba

Next up, focusing for distance !!!
Way to go Yabba... told you those 5 steps were easy!
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:22 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
Hey guys. Just found this thread. I read through the whole thing, but didn't see much about vendors. Who has purchased what from whom? Anyone been unhappy with the product they received?

I'm buying one of these, there can be no doubt.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:28 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Hey guys. Just found this thread. I read through the whole thing, but didn't see much about vendors. Who has purchased what from whom? Anyone been unhappy with the product they received?

I'm buying one of these, there can be no doubt.
Vendors are in post #2. They all sell the same camera.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:37 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,217 Posts
I got the $7.69 LD version. JUNK!!!!
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:53 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
I got the $7.69 LD version. JUNK!!!!
There were some frauds selling cameras as HD and those were not HD cameras. This thread is about the ones available from the four sources listed in Post 2. They all sell the same HD camera.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:38 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
941 Posts
I'm VERY happy with my keychain cam.
- I use paper tape to secure it... as tight as possible.
- I haven't done the 1/4 turn focus yet. My focus wasn't bad by default, but I definitely will be tweaking.
- My video editor of choice is Cyberlink Powerdirector. Yes, it costs, but its easy for me and I can get stuff done in it quick

I got a flying day in today.. lots of play time.
#11 HD 808 Keychain Camera (6 min 42 sec)
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Last edited by Kerbob; Jan 03, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:42 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Vendors are in post #2. They all sell the same camera.
Thanks. Just double-checking.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:09 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
Very nice Kerbob! If I didn't already have one in the mail I would have bought one after watching that... lol

Tweak the focus and it'll be perfect!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Oct 2010
6 Posts
Hi Frank, I connected mine from the BEC 5 volts output...

Quote:
Has anyone confirmed this camera can be plugged into an external voltage source via the mini-USB connection (like the car 12V outlet plug connector that comes with it) and power the camera without depleting the internal battery? I assume that is the case, but I wonder if that cable has a built-in voltage regulator to drop the voltage down to 5V like a USB port would have, or whether the camera has internal voltage regulation. It would be good to know this for powering the camera from an external source in a plane, like a 3S lipo.
Hi Frank, I have an electric Zagi Wing and I have an old NonHD 808 #8 camera, I connected the Camera to one of the channes of my receptor (5 Volts). it works great.
jorgehto is offline Find More Posts by jorgehto
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:17 AM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
GSpot v2.70a shows that my camera records in 10714kbps films, 10730kbps and not how earlier passed examples 7091kbps or else 6993, 7060kbps.
Or this camera will permit on removal timestamp?
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:21 AM
placentia, ca.
Joined Mar 2008
99 Posts
KERBOB!...you truly are a "backyard flyer" nice videos and flyn skills.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:48 AM
Shocking!
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined May 2002
300 Posts
Quote:

I got my HDkey cam from:

Source #1: hxelepro360 and companion seller power-gps

I found hxelepro360 to be very responsive to answer my questions (some requiring in depth knowledge of the camera), and I can highly recommend this source.
Sorry for the NEWB question, but I see them listed for 39.95, 6, 7, 8….probably doesn't matter…..Subscribed also
Kevlar is offline Find More Posts by Kevlar
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Sorry for the NEWB question, but I see them listed for 39.95, 6, 7, 8….probably doesn't matter…..Subscribed also
Kevlar,

The real HD ones sell for about $40.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been idle for awhile, but following along with a lot of interest. An HD 808 camera was one of my requests awhile ago, and to think they're available with date stamp removal?! Jackpot! I think I need to order two and get some new footage.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:29 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgehto View Post
Hi Frank, I have an electric Zagi Wing and I have an old NonHD 808 #8 camera, I connected the Camera to one of the channes of my receptor (5 Volts). it works great.
Yes, but the HD camera is much different internally, including the battery voltage regulation protection being on the main circuit board rather than (or in addition to?) the one on the old 808 battery. We need to try it with the new one to know if it will work. The new one reportedly won't charge with anything but their special car charger cord or a full USB port conncetion, and it will record while charging, something the old 808 can not do. Any comparisons with the old 808 end once you get inside the plastic case.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Go back and read post #1/#2.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:11 PM
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2009
57 Posts
Have anybody tried Fisheye (wide angle) lens for 808HD? Something like Yelly lens or 15mm 180° degree lens?
DaggyMAC is offline Find More Posts by DaggyMAC
Last edited by DaggyMAC; Jan 03, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
hi, this camera looks very good! still pictures are not that good, but video is just awesome

did anyone measure the angle of view? looks wider that old versions

how good does this omnivision sensor performs in low light conditions? could be nice have a comparision video with a #3 camera,
any one want make it? :P

Looks like it can record while powered externally, so it can be used too as a "security car camera" butttttt... does it have the option to overwrite the file for continuously recording ?

manufacturer is still a mystery right? looks like its just found at ebay

thnks
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
hi, this camera looks very good! still pictures are not that good, but video is just awesome

did anyone measure the angle of view? looks wider that old versions

how good does this omnivision sensor performs in low light conditions? could be nice have a comparision video with a #3 camera,
any one want make it? :P

Looks like it can record while powered externally, so it can be used too as a "security car camera" butttttt... does it have the option to overwrite the file for continuously recording ?

manufacturer is still a mystery right? looks like its just found at ebay

thnks
Still pictures are believed to be 2X interpolated enlargement from the sensor's native resolution. Still much better than the old 808.

If you've seen how the old 808 images have noticeable video "noise" at lower light level, compare with some of the video clips users have already posted here. While there is white balance shift in low light, I don't see the typical "noise" artifacts like the old 808 has. I think the HD CMOS sensor has much better light sensitivity.

No record overwrite, but for our purposes, I wouldn't want that anyway. I would like to see the automatic 20 min. stop/save/start sequence eliminated, though, and have already sent that as a "wish list" item to the vendors. I also asked about a toggle to record 640x480 @ 60 fps as a flashable option on futre firmware. No reply back on thos yet.

Manufacturer unknown, but the four identified vendors in post #2 seem to have a very close tie to each other and the manufacturer (i.e. firmware mods), and have commented that the early cameras they sold were part of "R&D".
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 03, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
the 20 min stat/stop is needed to because FAT32 size limit is 4Gb, so i guess was much more easy to program a time limit than read the actual file size and close it before it reach 4 Gb,
its okey for me the 20 min limit, you can merge both videos with any simple video editor anyway,

i wonder how much time is lost between the close and continue instant.

the 640x480 at 60fps would be wonderful if it comes an option in the future

by the way, how it is the presentation of this new camera? same has the old version? cartoon black box?
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:08 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Y

I use blue painters tape to secure the camera to a solid spot.

My blog has a video of the Beav (#3 non HD) and the way I mounted it straight to the bulkhead.

Yabba

Thanks Yabba. I'll strap it down with some tape next time.
Your blog entry reminded me that I need to go through the mega keyfob thread again and this time take notes.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
the 20 min stat/stop is needed to because FAT32 size limit is 4Gb, so i guess was much more easy to program a time limit than read the actual file size and close it before it reach 4 Gb,
its okey for me the 20 min limit, you can merge both videos with any simple video editor anyway,

i wonder how much time is lost between the close and continue instant.

the 640x480 at 60fps would be wonderful if it comes an option in the future

by the way, how it is the presentation of this new camera? same has the old version? cartoon black box?
The videos I've looked at shoot at a nominal 7000 kb/s = .875 MB/s = 1.05 GB in a 20 min. clip. And the battery life is only spec'd for up to 40 min. of recording. So at worst, it is borderline that even a measely 2GB flash card would be filled up if there were no stop and save function. If they felt it necessary to have that function, they could safely up it to at least 30 sec. if not eliminate it altogether. I don't know what happens with the recording as the battery life comes to an end. I also don't know how much time delay between the two clips, but with my luck it would occur right when something I really wanted to capture was going on. I have a couple planes than can fly for up to 30 min., and I like to capture the langings.

By the presentation I guess you mean the letterboxing that can occur if a 720x480 video is output in either standard 4:3 or 16:9 frame sizes? With most versions of the old 808 camera, the video is stretched horizontally to 720 pixels wide from a 640 pixel wide native image. That also ruined the aspect ratio making circles look like elipses. I always resized the image on mine during editing back to 640x480 and output in a 4:3 aspect ratio frame, so no black borders and no distortion. BUT, the HD key cam shoots a native 16:9 aspect video with square pixels, so there is no aspect ratio distortion AND no black bars if you output the video with a 16:9 aspect ratio frame size and view on your PC. When uploaded to some of the hosting sites, though, they might not use that aspect ratio, and the black bars re-appear.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
WEB cam mode heats up

Observation of the HD camera getting warm when in use. I left in plugged in as a web cam for half and day while I was Skype vide conferencing today at work. The little HD camera got noticeably warm. Video quality was noticeably good based on feedback from others on the call. The HD camera got warm enough that I think I will revert to the original 808.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
I'm part of the club once again. I purchased 2 of the HD cams from eletoponline365

I asked for them to not have the date/time and was asked if I could handle it myself if they were to send me the files. The files just came via email and I can attach them there if you like. Response time was very fast, as I just ordered these earlier today.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
I'm part of the club once again. I purchased 2 of the HD cams from eletoponline365

I asked for them to not have the date/time and was asked if I could handle it myself if they were to send me the files. The files just came via email and I can attach them there if you like. Response time was very fast, as I just ordered these earlier today.
The files are already posted near the start of this thread, along with instructions for use. It also confirms the vendors are not sending the cameras pre-configured with no date, because it's very easy to remove and put back on if desired..... see post #12 (and #3).
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:18 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
GSpot v2.70a shows that my camera records in 10714kbps films, 10730kbps and not how earlier passed examples 7091kbps or else 6993, 7060kbps.
Or this camera will permit on removal timestamp?
That's interesting about the high bit rate. Is it the same style of camera? Where did you buy your camera? Any clips posted?
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
Tom Frank thnks for response, but in fact i was taking about how it looks like the box witch holds the camera,
my english level is low, so in case i don't success explaining myself, i am refering to this black box:

http://www.wondcam.com/china-spy-sur...mera-02-p1.gif

the on used for presentation of the product,

thnks
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Tom Frank thnks for response, but in fact i was taking about how it looks like the box witch holds the camera,
my english level is low, so in case i don't success explaining myself, i am refering to this black box:

thnks
OHHHhhh! Sorry, I misundertstood! Mine is still in transit, so I can't answer that. In looking at the camera specifications on your box, that is NOT the same camera. It looks like a similar case, but yours shoots 640x480 video in .AVI format (and probably using MJPEG video codec).

The HD camera we are discussing here shoot full 1280x720 video in .MOV format using H.264 video codec. So the displayed video will be twice as wide and 1.375 times as high with better resolution most likley as well. That explains the difference in the bit rate, too. The h.264 codec has much higher compression rate than MJPEG, so even though the HD camera is spitting out a lot more bits of data from it's sensor, the greater compression allows a lower bit rate while maintaining similar quality.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 03, 2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added more info after reading details on box picture
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Feb 2010
55 Posts
Has anyone tried enlarging the opening in the case to see if the dark corners go away?
wayback is online now Find More Posts by wayback
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayback View Post
Has anyone tried enlarging the opening in the case to see if the dark corners go away?
I have not heard or read of anybody doing so. I suspect it won't make any difference. Plus, I haven't really noticed the darkening at the corners. If it really bothered you AVI Demux let's you crop the whole video.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:03 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:

thnks
These cams do not come with any retail packaging from these ebay vendors. No box, just a plain paper envelope with bubble wrap.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:08 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayback View Post
I recall someone mentioning it early on, most likely in the mega keyfob thread. It didn't make any difference.

I found the post here
Last edited by lostheli; Jan 03, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:25 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Tom, I downloaded and installed ffdshow, restarted and tried to open the same video file.

Critical stop that says no audio decoder found for this file save (a+v) will generate bad AVI?? how do I direct avidemux to use the new codecs?

thanks.

Pat.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:08 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Selected clips from backyard video from HD keycam

I just processed some captured shots from the backyard sunny HD video. I used Video pad editor.

backyard sunny HD key cam selected clips.avi (0 min 25 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:18 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Tom, I downloaded and installed ffdshow, restarted and tried to open the same video file.

Critical stop that says no audio decoder found for this file save (a+v) will generate bad AVI?? how do I direct avidemux to use the new codecs?

thanks.

Pat.
Pat, I cannot repeat this problem. AviDemux uses it's own codec libraries that are part of the folder when you unzip it. ffdshow is not needed, plus it's main function is to supply video codecs, not audio codecs. The native MOV file has a less-common audio codec, but AviDemux has been able to play/edit them on my system.

Rather than get into a one-off problem in this thread, please PM me with the following info and I'll try to help find out what's going on.

Can you tell me:

1. Are you attempting to load a native .MOV file from the HD key cam into AviDemux when you get this error? If not, please clarify what's being used.

2. Are you using the latest version of AviDemux (v2.5.4)?

Tom
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:19 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggyMAC View Post
Have anybody tried Fisheye (wide angle) lens for 808HD? Something like Yelly lens or 15mm 180° degree lens?
I have a jelly lens.
Jelly lens is bad quality. Get a glass lens.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:30 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
opening the firmware in a Txt reader we can find those lines:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i?? v ?? NOVATEK DIGITAL CAMERA?
!NTK96610?Ver.1?ò&0V?D2001:07:01 12:00:00 ??ƒŒ? š???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i guess novatek might be the company who made the design,

About the vigneting... as far as i know is usually a problem of too wide lens, (but those ones don't seems to be that wider...)
i am curious about the angle of view f this HD camera,
any one can make some easy calcs to reveal the approximate angle of view of the camera? thnks
Last edited by wallaguest1; Jan 04, 2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:48 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Pat, I cannot repeat this problem. AviDemux uses it's own codec libraries that are part of the folder when you unzip it. ffdshow is not needed, plus it's main function is to supply video codecs, not audio codecs. The native MOV file has a less-common audio codec, but AviDemux has been able to play/edit them on my system.

Rather than get into a one-off problem in this thread, please PM me with the following info and I'll try to help find out what's going on.

Can you tell me:

1. Are you attempting to load a native .MOV file from the HD key cam into AviDemux when you get this error? If not, please clarify what's being used.

2. Are you using the latest version of AviDemux (v2.5.4)?

Tom
Tom,

AVI Demux scrambles the audio on my installation when playing a HD key cam video. Go figure.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:09 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
opening the firmware in a Txt reader we can find those lines:

i?? v ?? NOVATEK DIGITAL CAMERA?
!NTK96610?Ver.1?ò&0V?D2001:07:01 12:00:00 ??ƒŒ? š???

so i guess novatek might be the company who made the design,

About the vigneting... as far as i know is usually a problem of too wide lens, (but those ones don't seems to be that wider...)
i am curious about the angle of view f this HD camera,
any one can make some easy calcs to reveal the approximate angle of view of the camera? thnks
Novatek makes the video processor IC in the camera. It might be one of their Imaging Product DSC controllers mentioned on there web site. But it appears to me their product line stops at the chip/module level rather than finished consumer products. Who knows?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:13 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

AVI Demux scrambles the audio on my installation when playing a HD key cam video. Go figure.

Bill
Bill, depending on what I'm doing with AviDemux (e.g. just playing a file vs. playing it while also re-encoding it) I have had the sound break up while playing in the editor. But after the file is exported and saved, it played fine. Are you getting broken sound in the saved and edited video? Some audio codecs (with variable bit rate) do not live well in some output containers (that are expecting constant bit rate).

These are an example of the quirks I referenced in a prior post that I need to highlight when I get them itemized. There are only a few I've run into, but easily avoided with the right codec choices. The audio codec used in the camera's .MOV container is not a very common one, except maybe for Apple Quicktime files, of which I know very little other than it's their adaption of an MP4 format?)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 04, 2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: answered the wrong question!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:30 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

Do you have a link to AVI Demux?

Bill
It's in post #4.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:33 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Quote:
...i am curious about the angle of view f this HD camera,
I'm also curious, and when my HD camera arrives, that's one of the first things I'm going to do to compare with my #3 808. But that won't be for 2-3 weeks yet. I'm hoping someone will beat me to the punch.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:47 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
HD key Cam = 808 version #11

I noticed that chuck has identified this HD key cam on his chucklohr.com/808 pages as version #11 of the old 808 variety. So you might find some other interesting or pertinent things on it there. Chuck has linked this thread on his site, so I thought I'd return the favor

I find this HD version to bear little commonality with the old 808 variety other than the case design it's in, so will continue to refer to it as the HD key cam here.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
13 Posts
hey im totally new here and i read most of this thread and thanks for all the great info.

tomorrow im going to purchase from "internet-shop365" most likely based on your guys' recommendations (awesome work btw!)

I just had 4 really quick questions and i hope you guys wont get too upset at me.. i went through most of the thread before hand!

1) is this better than the 808 #3 non-HD version? is there a reason to get the other model that's not HD? (Does it film certain things better like people/scenery/moving cars?) I assume this camera version is the best out there currently.

2) I want to use this for multipurpose, more than just my planes, so does this work well with filming my parties or web blog vids? Generally, can it film people well?

3) How long is the battery life on a full charge?

4) Is this NORMALLY fine straight out of the box? im too afraid to fix lenses and the other technical details so generally it should work alright once i get it, without needing modification?

thanks a lot guys! i hope to get one and put up some great vids
thygriever2 is offline Find More Posts by thygriever2
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:29 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,905 Posts
Answers in red below. Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thygriever2 View Post
hey im totally new here and i read most of this thread and thanks for all the great info.

tomorrow im going to purchase from "internet-shop365" most likely based on your guys' recommendations (awesome work btw!)

I just had 4 really quick questions and i hope you guys wont get too upset at me.. i went through most of the thread before hand!

1) is this better than the 808 #3 non-HD version? is there a reason to get the other model that's not HD? (Does it film certain things better like people/scenery/moving cars?) I assume this camera version is the best out there currently.

Yes, it's better, with much bigger display frame size when played back on your PC. Other than the #3's lower cost, this camera does most things better and unlike the #3, you know what you are getting when you order from the sources listed in post #1.

If you have seen the old lower res version videos, go to one of the user videos linked here that was posted on Vimeo, and click on the title text to get directly on the Vimeo site where you can play it easier and in better resolution than what YouTube can spit out. Also, if you find a clip there that was posted less a week ago, you may be able to download it in it's original form and see the video exactly as it was uploaded. The quality will be better than what you see when played in here or on the host site.

When it comes to motion, both cameras shoot at 30 fps, but the old one will drop at least 10% of the frames (some versions MUCH more) because it can't keep up with the data rate. This camera has not shown any tendency to drop any frames, so motion will be smoother. BUT, since the display is much larger (twice as wide, for example), the motion from one frame to the next will move a greater distance on your display screen (twice as much horizontally), so it will look to be less smooth to some viewers eyes. But if you just reduce the size of the HD version display down to the width of the old #3 display, the motion will appear the same but the HD version will be sharper. Or vice versa, expand the the old #3 to play at double it's width, adn compare with the HD display (you'll rally see a difference that way.

2) I want to use this for multipurpose, more than just my planes, so does this work well with filming my parties or web blog vids? Generally, can it film people well?

I have no idea how to answer this not knowing the lighting, distances, motion, etc. of those video clips. But I can say the HD version will generally do a better job of it than the old #3, especially in low light situations (less video noise artifacts). There is one difference where the HD version sometimes shows some darkening in the corners (vignetting) of the video, and along with that sometimes some noticeable color white balance shift. The #3 shows less of this, but it is not highly predictable with the HD version. Look at the posted clips here and make your own judgement (beauty being in the eye of the beholder, and all that jazz)

3) How long is the battery life on a full charge?

About 40 minutes recordings are advertised in the specs (post #2). Some users claim a little less, some a little more.

4) Is this NORMALLY fine straight out of the box? im too afraid to fix lenses and the other technical details so generally it should work alright once i get it, without needing modification?

For the purposes you suggested, I'd say the camera should be just fine out of the box. The focus typically comes biased for closer in subjects, where as aerial video would favor focusing for very distant subjects. Again, look at the post sample videos and come to your own conclusions on this. The biggest change you might want to make is to turn off the date/time stamp. That has to be done by copying a different firmware program into the camera. It's a simple process that looks more difficult than it is when you read the details in Post #12.

thanks a lot guys! i hope to get one and put up some great vids
Closed Thread