HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:21 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,134 Posts
Has any one figured out how to make this into an FPV camera?
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:32 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
Has any one figured out how to make this into an FPV camera?
No, it cannot do that. Look at chucklohr.com for the #12 HD camera, It does have video out (reportedly), but it also has over 30% dropped frames! This might be acceptable for FPV, but not for general HD video viewing (at least not for me).
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:21 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
I have a question about video pixel dimensions. If I right click and select properties for a file right out of the camera the details screen indicates that the .mov file is 1280 x 720. I can play it back in WMP and in full screen mode it fills my screen. After I run the file through MP4Cam2AVI the properties for the .avi are also 1280 x 720 and when played back it fills my screen. After editing it in Windows Movie Maker and saving it with video settings of 1280 x 720 the .wmv properties are also indicated as 1280 x 720 but the .wmv plays back in a reduced size window that will not fill the screen even in full screen mode.

Are the properties reported for each file type in windows accurate? If so, shouldn't all 1280 x 720 videos play in the same size window?
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Mar 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Reeves View Post
I have a question about video pixel dimensions. If I right click and select properties for a file right out of the camera the details screen indicates that the .mov file is 1280 x 720. I can play it back in WMP and in full screen mode it fills my screen. After I run the file through MP4Cam2AVI the properties for the .avi are also 1280 x 720 and when played back it fills my screen. After editing it in Windows Movie Maker and saving it with video settings of 1280 x 720 the .wmv properties are also indicated as 1280 x 720 but the .wmv plays back in a reduced size window that will not fill the screen even in full screen mode.

Are the properties reported for each file type in windows accurate? If so, shouldn't all 1280 x 720 videos play in the same size window?
I did all the conversion you did, but I can't duplicate your results with the WMP (V12) and WMM (Vista version and Windows Live MM) on my W7 (64bit) SP1 PC. Everything plays back in full screen in 16:9 aspect ratio. Are using an older XP machine maybe? Are there any black borders around the video that does not fill your screen during play back in full screen mode?

FWIW, as you may know, the video is degraded when played back in full screen mode if your monitor has more pixels than the video does.

<EDIT> Oops... just viewed your post again and see the pics! What does the video with the black borders look like when you toggle off the full screen mode? Are the black borders gone? What version of WMP are you using? <EDIT>
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
What does the video with the black borders look like when you toggle off the full screen mode? Are the black borders gone? What version of WMP are you using? <EDIT>
The black border is there in the WMM edited file whether I'm in full screen mode or not. My computer specs are in the attached screen shots. I am running Windows Live 2011.

<<EDIT>> I figured it out. Under the project tab in WMM I needed to select 16:9 format. I had assumed that the specified pixel dimensions determined the aspect ratio. I didn't realize I had to set both. Thanks for looking into it for me.<<EDIT>>
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Mar 16, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:00 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
The black border is there in the WMM edited file whether I'm in full screen mode or not. My computer specs are in the attached screen shots. I am running Windows Live 2011.
OK, then you are using Windows Live Movie Maker, too, I will assume. I think I know what is going on.

Open WLMM and click on the Project tab. Do you show the aspect ratio set to 4:3? If so, that is the problem. Toggle it to 16:9, then output your video again, and it should display at full size in full screen mode.

With 4:3 aspect ratio set in your project, WLMM will not clip your 16:9 frame to fit, but rather shrinks the size keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio of the image down until it fits the height of the 4:3 frame. This results in black bars on top and bottom to fill out the rest of the 4:3 frame. Now when you then output that video as a 1280 x 720 16:9 frame again, the 4:3 frame is expanded until the height fits a 1280x720 frame, which now creates black borders on the sides. So now your original 1280x720 video is still 16:9 aspect ratio, but it's smaller with a black border all around to fill out the full 1280x720 frame. And when you display that in full screen mode, it looks close to your original video in size, but it is really filling your entire screen, including the black borders that surrounded the video before it was expanded to full screen. The pixel count reported in the Properties field would be correct, it just that a bunch of the pixels are the black borders!

I know I didn't explain this very clearly, but if you just make sure you have toggled the project aspect ratio to 16:9 as I first suggested, everything should work as you expect. If not, I'm stumped!

This is a quirk (or feature, depending on how you see it) of all the Movie Maker programs. If you rotate a video 90 deg. in WLMM, it also does not clip the image top and bottom, but rather shrinks the image so the whole thing fits in the vertical dimension of the frame, which remains as a 1280 (wide) x 720 (high) frame. Doing this in other editors, like Virtual Dub for example, will keep the full 1280 x720 size, but the entire video frame is rotate 90 deg. and will display as 720 (wide) x1280 (high).

<edit> Looks like you figured it out on your own while I was typing this up! Good going! <edit>
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:05 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Thanks Tom. Sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase, I should have realized that when I first thought I had a problem.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:08 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom. Sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase, I should have realized that when I first thought I had a problem.
No problem... this might help others who have the same issue.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:41 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,667 Posts
I'm signed up!

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:22 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
I've had the camera about a week and it has exceeded my expectations. My first videos were all on board the plane and that was cool. Then I started using it to get candid video of the kids and realized for the price and handiness I'll probably use it more than any of my much more expensive video cameras. It produced very good video under indoor lighting conditions.

This morning I mounted it on my cap brim with elastic thread loops and that turned out well too.

Here is a video of this mornings dawn flying session. Mostly from the cap brim but with a few minutes of on board video mixed in. The lighting was tough but I'm still very pleased.

Dawn Patrol (6 min 14 sec)
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:46 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Nice close-in, low, and slow flying, Cary. You did a good job of keeping the plane in the frame with your cap cam, too Nice flying are you have there, as well!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:02 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,196 Posts
Help!! I'm still getting jello effect form this cam on my t-copter.
I'm running out of ideas.
FlyingMcCoy is online now Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:27 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
Help!! I'm still getting jello effect form this cam on my t-copter.
I'm running out of ideas.
I'm having the same issue with my Trex 450. Tried different things but I can't completely get rid of oscillations (around the longitudinal axis of the heli), which are more apparent because we're dealing with a 16:9 image format.
Only suggestions I have to offer are:
1. try different mounting points on the heli
2. try a mount that is as rigid as possible (ie do not use soft rubber or foam to isolate the camera)
120ccpm is offline Find More Posts by 120ccpm
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:38 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120ccpm View Post
I'm having the same issue with my Trex 450. Tried different things but I can't completely get rid of oscillations (around the longitudinal axis of the heli), which are more apparent because we're dealing with a 16:9 image format.
Only suggestions I have to offer are:
1. try different mounting points on the heli
2. try a mount that is as rigid as possible (ie do not use soft rubber or foam to isolate the camera)
Thanks.
I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.
FlyingMcCoy is online now Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:20 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Thanks Tom. It was a bit too breezy for it when I shot that video but on a calm day its like magic and my favorite kind of flying.

Quote:
Nice close-in, low, and slow flying, Cary. You did a good job of keeping the plane in the frame with your cap cam, too Nice flying are you have there, as well!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:31 AM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Hi, I just tried the Date Off firmware patch on my #11 and ... it didn't do anything. Didn't seem to load the firmware, just came on normally.

Scrap that. I found if I renamed the file ".BIN" instead of ".bin" it worked.

The odd thing is the disk is "FAT32" and as such case insensitive, so it shouldn't matter! If you copy a file "file.txt" onto the disk when a file called "FILE.TXT" already exists it will replace it. Further, if you ask for file "FILE" when only a file "file" exists, it will return it.

For windows users who are currently staring at me, going, "What?" I use Linux which is case sensitive. You can have "File.txt", "FILE.txt", "FILE.TXT" or any combination all in the same folder You should see what happens when you export that folder to a windows machine LOL 99 times out of a 100, SD cards are FAT32 which means the disc itself is case insensitive and thus why I'm confused that this worked!
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Last edited by venquessa; Mar 17, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:57 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
:)

Quote:
I've had the camera about a week and it has exceeded my expectations. My first videos were all on board the plane and that was cool. Then I started using it to get candid video of the kids and realized for the price and handiness I'll probably use it more than any of my much more expensive video cameras. It produced very good video under indoor lighting conditions.

This morning I mounted it on my cap brim with elastic thread loops and that turned out well too.

Here is a video of this mornings dawn flying session. Mostly from the cap brim but with a few minutes of on board video mixed in. The lighting was tough but I'm still very pleased.
A very nice quiet good start to any day.
Didnt see any wing rocking or sudden drops - so the gusts must have been mild
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:20 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
Hi, I just

Scrap that. I found if I renamed the file ".BIN" instead of ".bin" it worked.
...SD cards are FAT32 which means the disc itself is case insensitive and thus why I'm confused that this worked!
er er if the card (FAT32) is 'case insensitive', how come you found .bin & were able to change it to .BIN
Implementations of FAT32 by Windoze IS case insensative, but will display mixed lc/uc chars in a directory (xcept W gets helpfull & capitalises the 1st char in the file listing regardless - DUH -
Mike
<Niggle mode OFF>

Good one anyway - for other poor soles wondering WTH is happening.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:37 AM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Bit confused by it myself. Maybe it's got case sensitive Juliet extensions. No idea

EDIT: Proof it's case insensitive, even in Linux...
paul@nevis /media/disk $ touch test
paul@nevis /media/disk $ touch Test
paul@nevis /media/disk $ touch TesT
paul@nevis /media/disk $ ls
DCIM test

On a case sensitive drive that would create 3 files.... it only created one and didn't even rename it for the second 2.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:48 AM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Well I just tested my #11 on my Art Tech Decathlon.

A GoPro it aint, but neither does it weigh 100g nor does it cost £280!

It's very easy to stick bits of velcro all over the plane and as the camera only weighs 14g it barely upsets the CG unless you put it on the tail which I didn't attempt as the Decath is very nasty when tail heavy.

I found the mic is as bad as the #3's and MD80s in that the gain is set for "spy cam mode" ... ie... way, way too much gain for anything above conversational level and totally useless in wind. Had the same trouble with the MD80 on the motorbike, although, I think the #11 is actually slightly better!

Obviously it suffers from venetian blind effect from the prop, but so does every CMOS camera, including the GoPro.

Colour and white balance hunting seems to swing around wildy and there is obviously no image stabilization... again not a GoPro, but for the 20Euro I paid, great.

I think the biggest con of this camera is the battery. I recorded my drive to work, 26minutes. I then attempted to record my way home from work, but as the camera battery didn't last for the 20 minutes before "close and continue", it just deleted the file.... so no footage. Thus I'd estimate the recording battery life at 30mins. Of course I could have put it onto charge when I was work.

Summary: Great for the money. Actually 720p. Quality as good as you can expect from a CMOS pin hole camera. Colour/White balance is a little "swingy". Audio is okay if there is no wind or high volume. Battery life is poor. I'd suggest running it off a large 1 cell LiPo if you intend to film much more than 20-30 minutes.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
...I think the biggest con of this camera is the battery. I recorded my drive to work, 26minutes. I then attempted to record my way home from work, but as the camera battery didn't last for the 20 minutes before "close and continue", it just deleted the file.... so no footage. Thus I'd estimate the recording battery life at 30mins. Of course I could have put it onto charge when I was work.

Summary: Great for the money. Actually 720p. Quality as good as you can expect from a CMOS pin hole camera. Colour/White balance is a little "swingy". Audio is okay if there is no wind or high volume. Battery life is poor. I'd suggest running it off a large 1 cell LiPo if you intend to film much more than 20-30 minutes.
If you use Tom's Continuous Recording Firmware (4GB Stop/Save/Continue, without timestamp) you won't lose the last clip. This firmware version is much better than the 20 min. S/S/C firmware. But there are the well known flashing dangers...

I agree that the battery life is poor. Mine now only last about 35 minutes, and battery life seems to be diminishing daily. See Post #3 for external power possibilities using a special cable where there is no need to open up the camera.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:33 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Bit confused by it myself. Maybe it's got case sensitive Juliet extensions. No idea

EDIT: Proof it's case insensitive, even in Linux...
paul@nevis /media/disk $ touch test
paul@nevis /media/disk $ touch Test
paul@nevis /media/disk $ touch TesT
paul@nevis /media/disk $ ls
DCIM test

On a case sensitive drive that would create 3 files.... it only created one and didn't even rename it for the second 2.
All the case sensitive issues of Linux, Windows, and FAT 32 aside... the MOST confusing thing is that the camera's internal firmware is doing the file reading, and the camera is operating from that when it loads the firmware patch file. AND, the standard file name from the vendor that everyone uses (successfully in most cases) has the lower case .bin extension. So the interesting and confusing part is why didn't yours?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Quote:
So the interesting and confusing part is why didn't yours?
Yea. I know. I followed the procedure twice, no joy.

Copied on the bin file into the disk root.
Unmounted/ejected the disk off the PC.
Turned the camera off.
Disconnected the USB.
Turned the camera back on and the light lit immediately.
Turned it off and back on, light still lit immediately.
Recorded a test video, which had the time stamp.

But when I renamed the file, bingo. 3-4 second delay, camera on. Turned it off, connected the USB and turned it back on and ... 3-4 second delay then USB mode.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Well I just tested my #11 on my Art Tech Decathlon.
I think the biggest con of this camera is the battery. I recorded my drive to work, 26minutes. I then attempted to record my way home from work, but as the camera battery didn't last for the 20 minutes before "close and continue", it just deleted the file.... so no footage. Thus I'd estimate the recording battery life at 30mins. Of course I could have put it onto charge when I was work.
The stock battery life is about 45 min. when the battery is fully charged and in good shape. But as Isoprop mentioned, some of the batteries aren't in good shape for very long. One of mine is down to just over 1/2 capacity after only a couple dozen charge cycles and is being replaced. You wouldn't have the missed footage part when the battery started to fail with the continuous recording patch as Isoporp also mentioned... it seems to have fixed the problem of dropping the recording when the battery dies. Mine used to do that, but now does not with the continuous recording firmware installed.

There's more info on this and external power in the FAQs (post #3).

The car charger that came with the camera would also have recorded everything until the card filled up. It can charge and record at the same time.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:50 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
The Color Hunting Problem

Quote:
Since there have been several new posts about the color hunting, I'll add one of my own. [...]
Tom, since you seem to have some sort of privileged channel to the manufacturer, I would at least mention the color hunting problem to them. Maybe it cannot be mitigated via a firmware update, maybe it can, I don't know, but we should let them know and see what they say.

I have the second version of the camera (the one with "C971P" on the CMOS ribbon, which you say is slightly better in this department), yet I find color hunting to be the biggest drawback in an otherwise very solid package (for the money, of course). The problem is not much the inability of the camera to find a perfect color balance for each and every light condition, it's how quickly and abruptly it reacts to the smallest variation, sending saturation levels to the roof.

Post-processing with Avidemux - using the filters you recommended - does help quite a bit, but the problem is still there. And it's a problem that is not nearly as severe in the other two cameras I have (a gumpack and a #8), which means that there are ways around it, even for devices in this price range.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Yea. I know. I followed the procedure twice, no joy.

Copied on the bin file into the disk root.
Unmounted/ejected the disk off the PC.
Turned the camera off.
Disconnected the USB.
Turned the camera back on and the light lit immediately.
Turned it off and back on, light still lit immediately.
Recorded a test video, which had the time stamp.

But when I renamed the file, bingo. 3-4 second delay, camera on. Turned it off, connected the USB and turned it back on and ... 3-4 second delay then USB mode.
You were using the correct procedure, I think. Did you download the file from here? If not, is it possible the filename had some other issue with the name, like misspelling, a space, or something like that? Or even some bizarre coincidence of the card not making good contact the first time? There have been some reports of the latter. Just trying to think or other reasons that could produce the same results. I wonder if it would do the same thing if you flash in another firmware patch?

But this wouldn't be the first time some of these cheap cams do some things and other do not.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,008 Posts
I have one of these BEC regulators: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10313

If I solder a mini usb plug to a JST connector and use a 2S lipo, will that work?
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
After re-reading this, make sure you erase the firmware file from the card or it will re-flash every time you turn on the camera... sound like that is what happened from your above comment.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120ccpm View Post
Tom, since you seem to have some sort of privileged channel to the manufacturer, I would at least mention the color hunting problem to them. Maybe it cannot be mitigated via a firmware update, maybe it can, I don't know, but we should let them know and see what they say.

I have the second version of the camera (the one with "C971P" on the CMOS ribbon, which you say is slightly better in this department), yet I find color hunting to be the biggest drawback in an otherwise very solid package (for the money, of course). The problem is not much the inability of the camera to find a perfect color balance for each and every light condition, it's how quickly and abruptly it reacts to the smallest variation, sending saturation levels to the roof.

Post-processing with Avidemux - using the filters you recommended - does help quite a bit, but the problem is still there. And it's a problem that is not nearly as severe in the other two cameras I have (a gumpack and a #8), which means that there are ways around it, even for devices in this price range.
I have mentioned this to them previously, and may be why the V2 of this camera is a little better. My #3 808 does this, as does my JAZZ HDV178 camera. Maybe it could be better, but read my post 2299. May not be something that the main video processor chip firmware patches we've been getting can change... i.e. need to get to the CMOS module manufacturer/supplier.

I'm happy with it as is with the AviDemux filter tweaks.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyepro View Post
I have one of these BEC regulators: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10313

If I solder a mini usb plug to a JST connector and use a 2S lipo, will that work?
Looking at the above specifications, this should work, although 5V is the absolute minimum. I would expect the 5V is under a full 5A load, so most probably there will be about 5.2-5.6 volts when connected to the #11
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:

It should, subject to the plug wiring and procedure for turning on the camera explained in the FAQs in post#3.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
#11 key cam

Hello
My name is Roger ;I am new here and Furthermore, I am French so English.....:confused:
I bought the # 11 key cam...
And when I tried to copy the «no time software" the key cam turned off and won’t light up again.
I think it is dead
Is there a way to bring it back to life or is it good for garbage.
Please forgive my approximate English and what do I do with key cam
Thank you
Roger
merl1 is offline Find More Posts by merl1
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merl1 View Post
Hello
My name is Roger ;I am new here and Furthermore, I am French so English.....
I bought the # 11 key cam...
And when I tried to copy the «no time software" the key cam turned off and won’t light up again.
I think it is dead
Is there a way to bring it back to life or is it good for garbage.
Please forgive my approximate English and what do I do with key cam
Thank you
Roger
Roger,

Mine did that as well, but it came back to life when I connected it to the PC USB port. See post #3 FAQ links for more info about a "bricked" camera. Good luck.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:23 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,316 Posts
Here's a video I took today using the HD cam taped to my hat. I didn't do any processing of the footage before running it through the editing software, which in this case is Kdenlive.

There is a bit of vignetting, and I'm pretty sure my focus is a bit close in. I think the camera does a pretty good job of managing the contrast between ground and sky, at least for $40. I would have liked to have run it through a de-shaker in VirtualDub, however I wasn't keen on converting it to .avi first.

Flasher 500 3D Hatcam (4 min 27 sec)
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Here's a video I took today using the HD cam taped to my hat. I didn't do any processing of the footage before running it through the editing software, which in this case is Kdenlive.

There is a bit of vignetting, and I'm pretty sure my focus is a bit close in. I think the camera does a pretty good job of managing the contrast between ground and sky, at least for $40. I would have liked to have run it through a de-shaker in VirtualDub, however I wasn't keen on converting it to .avi first.
I think your focus is better than what you might think, based on the distant tree outlines, especially at the edges of the frame. The nearer blurriness of the grass and weeds is a result of the high compression of the h.264 video codec, which tends to do this when there is fine detail with not a lot of difference in contrast or color.

If you are adept with Vdub, you really should tryout the AviDemux freeware editor. Although I haven't found a deshaker for it yet (haven't really looked very hard either!), it will process the native .mov file, with filters to give you more realistic color saturation and contrast, and slight sharpening to restore detail and diminish the vignetting. Details in post #4.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:52 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
If you are adept with Vdub, you really should tryout the AviDemux freeware editor. Although I haven't found a deshaker for it yet (haven't really looked very hard either!), it will process the native .mov file, with filters to give you more realistic color saturation and contrast, and slight sharpening to restore detail and diminish the vignetting. Details in post #4.
I've actually used AviDemux before, usually to deinterlace and convert stuff to .avi (in preparation for deshaking in VDub). I'll have a look at your post and see how much I can improve the next video - we've got some formation flying with air to air video scheduled for the weekend.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:24 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have a few of those wall adapters for iPhones and iPods. The cable is a USB on one end and the Apple connector on the other. That cable plugs into an Apple wall wart on the USB side.

Would it be safe to plug a #11 USB cable into the Apple wall wart and use that to charge the #11 cams? Or is there some bit I'm missing?

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:56 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
A very nice quiet good start to any day.
Didnt see any wing rocking or sudden drops - so the gusts must have been mild
Mike
Your right. Maybe I should have said "variable" . By the end of the session the "variable" wind would get under the wing while it was sitting on the ground and flip the plane over on it's back making ROG very difficult. The first clip on the video from takeoff to landing was one of my first flights of the day. It got progressively worse.

Yes, a very nice way to start the day. The forecast calls for 3 MPH at dawn tomorrow so I plan to be out again.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
..The forecast calls for 3 MPH at dawn tomorrow so I plan to be out again.
There once was a book The Guinness Book of Hangovers,
Subtitled By The Gray Dawns Grisly Light ..
Mike (a late person).
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a few of those wall adapters for iPhones and iPods. The cable is a USB on one end and the Apple connector on the other. That cable plugs into an Apple wall wart on the USB side.

Would it be safe to plug a #11 USB cable into the Apple wall wart and use that to charge the #11 cams? Or is there some bit I'm missing?

Joe
I don't have any of these adapters and USB is not an Apple invention, but USB is a standard and it uses 5V which is what the camera wants.

I have used different wall adapters with my #11, and I especially like the ones from Mototola because they are small and light.

I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't use the Apple wall adapters. When you say "#11 USB cable" are you refering to the special cable (which you will have to make yourself) or a standard USB cable? - see post #3 about power supplies. Both should work. If you are paranoid, you could first measure the output of the wall adapter USB on pin 1 and 4. It should be between 5.2V and 5.6V without a load (i.e. with nothing connected).

If possible, use a USB cable which only has two wires connected - or make the "special cable" yourself, but make sure you get the polarity correct or you may destroy your camera (nobody has tested the inverted polarity yet ).
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:08 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Thanks Isoprop,

I was asking about the standard USB cable that comes with the #11 for use with a computer. You guys go way beyond me with your cabling and long file battery set ups. I have a hard time keeping up with a few 10 mimute video files. :-)

I wasn't sure if the USB to mini USB that comes with our cams is a standard cable. If so the Apple wall adapter should work. I can't test that for about a week.

That option will give me a way to charge my cams all at one time.

Thanks again for all the great info here in this thread. With Tom's organization this has to be one of the best resources on RCG's !!

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:18 AM
member of TheBlindHawks
Joined Feb 2011
183 Posts
Hi all,

I've read through this thread (uhmm.. damn long by now ;-) and on various sections it says that there is no video-out port on this camera BUT that the processor is designed to support exactly that. It is just not implemented in the software.

Since some of you are very experienced in altering the software - Is it possible to implement that feature? I mean when there is an SDK from the chip manufacturer (I've read so)... wouldn't it be possible to transplant-ate this video-out function from SDK samples to the actual camera? I think it can be done with another firmware hack and soldering two leads to the processor.

It would give us a really really kickass FPV camera!
Hope someone can do that. I'm just not experienced in reverse-engineering and have no skills in programming microcontrollers. Anyway I'd like to help testing.

best regards, careyer
careyer is offline Find More Posts by careyer
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:47 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyer View Post
Hi all,

I've read through this thread (uhmm.. damn long by now ;-) and on various sections it says that there is no video-out port on this camera BUT that the processor is designed to support exactly that. It is just not implemented in the software.

Since some of you are very experienced in altering the software - Is it possible to implement that feature? I mean when there is an SDK from the chip manufacturer (I've read so)... wouldn't it be possible to transplant-ate this video-out function from SDK samples to the actual camera? I think it can be done with another firmware hack and soldering two leads to the processor.

It would give us a really really kickass FPV camera!
Hope someone can do that. I'm just not experienced in reverse-engineering and have no skills in programming microcontrollers. Anyway I'd like to help testing.

best regards, careyer
There may be an SDK from the chip manufacturer, but I've never read about that. Is it free, open source? Where can it be obtained?

Even if the SDK is freely available, which would at least be interesting, I am sure that the actual camera code is proprietary, which would make an SDK useless. What development platform do we need? What special development boards are required? What compiler? What language? Are all these freely available? Without insider information I would dare to say that it is almost impossible to modify the code of these cameras. I only say "almost" because nothing computer related is impossible!

I have never heard of anyone who has been able to "alter" the software in these cameras. I think you may be referring to the patches for the #3. That was pretty simple. No "code" was changed. The font data was simply blanked out to spaces. Luckily we don't need this hack for the #11.

Without a camera schematic there is no way that you can solder two leads to the processor. The processor is packaged in some sort of MLP (Molded Leadless Package), translated simply "legless"!

I know everyone wants to add his "super idea" to the firmware, but this is just not possible with the tools and knowledge freely available. This is not a PC Open Source program.

FWIW, I tried many days to reverse engineer the #3, without any luck whatsoever, but I must admit that my assembler knowledge has become very rusty...
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
...I wasn't sure if the USB to mini USB that comes with our cams is a standard cable. If so the Apple wall adapter should work. I can't test that for about a week.
Yes, the supplied USB-to-mini-USB cable is a standard USB data cable. There is nothing special about it. It is pretty thin, so it's definitely not hispeed USB. For simple tasks and charging this does not matter. For charging, I prefer a lightweight cable anyway.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:14 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
There once was a book The Guinness Book of Hangovers,
Subtitled By The Gray Dawns Grisly Light ..
Mike (a late person).
Do you know my wife Wilma?

I'm up everyday by 5:30 or 6 but when she gets up I'm not allowed to speak to her until at least 10:30

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Solar Power

I received mine from hxelepro360 and It worked well with 4GB Continuous Recording Firmware.

After viewing the external USB battery powered chargers thread, I am thinking in if will be good to use solar powered system.

We have lots of solar emergency chargers like: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/solar-p...k-2000mah-8222

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/solar-p...er-black-54477

These models seem to be very low quality. But If we find a good price-quality and lightweight unit, we could have endless energy to supply our cameras

What do you think?
abelvarela is offline Find More Posts by abelvarela
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Roger,

Mine did that as well, but it came back to life when I connected it to the PC USB port. See post #3 FAQ links for more info about a "bricked" camera. Good luck.
Well I tried all that
Definitely dead ....R.I.P.
I am waiting for a new one
What about the # 12; is it better
thank you
merl1 is offline Find More Posts by merl1
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Well I tried all that
thank you
I assume yours is being replaced at no cost by the vendor. #12... much worse. It's been mentioned here (search for #12).
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Well I tried all that
thank you
Fully charge the battery, leave over night. Copy the "With Timestamp" software to a freshly formatted card (use a card reader).
Turn on and do nothing for 2 minutes. Press reset for about 60 seconds.
Press Reset AND Power button for 60 seconds. Try other variations.
If no success, wait 12 hours and try again. ALWAYS wait 60 seconds after pressing power button. Maybe freshly format the card again. Repeat.
There is always a chance that you can revive your camera. Don't give up yet!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:17 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,996 Posts
Had the HD version for a couple of weeks so I thought is was about time I posted some flying footage. Plane is my Depron Fox http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=806566&page=2 post 65
I used Window Movie Maker but Youtube only seems to play on 480. I presume I need to fiddle with some of WMM settings to allow it to output at 720.
Depron Fox e-powered scratch built glider with onboard HD KeyCam (4 min 57 sec)

Generally pleased with the results, certainly crisper than my #3 although not as good at coping with quickly changing lighting conditions. The mic seems to be way to sensitive so I suggest you turns the vol. down prior to playing the vid
Head
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Last edited by headlessagain; Mar 19, 2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:47 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
... Wilma? ..
I'm up everyday by 5:30 or 6 b... I'm not allowed to speak 10:30 Yabba
t'other way round 4 me.
means both of us have a chunk of the day just for ourselves
Mike
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:44 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Here's my second round onboard and up high. Getting better. One flight start to finish. Four minutes in, at the top of my climb, I cut the motor and glide for nearly 5 minutes to a landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e-Q7_u9NCo
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Mar 19, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:23 PM
Upstate NY, Lowville
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
Got my #11

Recieved My #11 today from hxelepro360 (9 days from payment to reciept).
It works great right out of the box. The date stamp was removed (as requested). hxelepro360 is a great vendor.
Can't wait to get it on my Parkzone Radian.
Focus seems to be fine. Tried the WebCam mode and took a short video in the yard..no problems. Came almost fully charged. 4gb SD card is working fine.
cboss is offline Find More Posts by cboss
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Here's my second round onboard and up high. Getting better. One flight start to finish. Four minutes in, at the top of my climb, I cut the motor and glide for nearly 5 minutes to a landing.
Hi Cary... some very nice stable shots of your flying area there. Looks like you have access to large paved, grass, artificial turf, and even a large pond to use for just about any kind of plane! I'm envious!

I like to record my entire flights like you do, too. When I post them here, I try to cut out portions that might be redundant or less interesting, with a goal to keep the max. video length in the 4-5 min. range. I think people are more likely to view it from beginning to end that way. Things I try to cut out might be prepping the plane for take-off, climbs to altitude where plane motion or camera vibration affects viewing, multiple circuits of the same flying area, portions of just a blue sky or relatively blank ground area, etc. I think everyone likes to see take-offs, landings, high views of the surrounding area, interesting scenery, lower passes with more ground details, and of course anything unusual that might occur during the flight.

Just some suggestions so more folks will view your vids from beginning to end. Keep 'em coming!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Recieved My #11 today from hxelepro360 (9 days from payment to reciept).
It works great right out of the box. The date stamp was removed (as requested). hxelepro360 is a great vendor.
Can't wait to get it on my Parkzone Radian.
Focus seems to be fine. Tried the WebCam mode and took a short video in the yard..no problems. Came almost fully charged. 4gb SD card is working fine.
Did you ask before purchasing or put in a comment when paying to remove the date?
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:38 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,425 Posts
Diana will remove it for you when asked. I've had good responses from her.(hxelepro360)

Hi guys! After many attempts at trying to baffle wind noise when using the cam stuck to the brim of a hat I think I found a very easy way to get good sound finally. What I eventually wound up doing was enlarging the sound intake hole to approx 3/32 and made a disk of foggy scotch tape(its thin) and sticking it over the opening, the sound transfers with virtually no wind gurgle. Don't worry, I've tried any and all foam tricks too.
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
Upstate NY, Lowville
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Did you ask before purchasing or put in a comment when paying to remove the date?
Requested the date stamp be removed right after I bought it. They sent an email confirming it. Great vendor!
cboss is offline Find More Posts by cboss
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:22 PM
EDF addict
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
260 Posts
I just ordered the cam this very moment, mailed hxelepro360 right afterwards if they could remove the timestamp.
First answer was an automatic email, closed for the day/weekend.
4 Minutes (!) later a personal mail, confirming they will remove the timestamp, no problem.

How awesome is that?
Do they ever sleep?
Do they ever spend their weekend not working??

I am really looking forward to this cam, have a #3 and this already is just great
Thanks fellas for providing so much information and videos in this thread!
-PaX- is online now Find More Posts by -PaX-
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:01 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
I have mentioned this to them previously, and may be why the V2 of this camera is a little better. My #3 808 does this, as does my JAZZ HDV178 camera. Maybe it could be better, but read my post 2299. May not be something that the main video processor chip firmware patches we've been getting can change... i.e. need to get to the CMOS module manufacturer/supplier.
I'm happy with it as is with the AviDemux filter tweaks.
Just an update: I emailed my seller (hxelepro360) about the color hunting problem. Here's their reply:

Thanks for emailing me.
Some of our clients also mentioned this attention.
As we all know ,the saturation of the vedio is affacted by many factors.
Our relative personnel has paid attention to this issue,he has been reseaching it.At present we don't have much progress on it.
If there is any progress in future,we will post it on GC Groups.
Thanks for asking and may you have a good day!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:49 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Wing tip mount of the #11 camera... Life of a landing gear is not easy at those dirty roads... .

Cessna flight with small incident (3 min 49 sec)
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:00 AM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Trojan T-28 with onboard #11 keychain camera.

Quality is nice again but i notice some vibration in the screen this time that the 3 other times i recorded with this camera was not there.

Parkzone Trojan Onboard Footage (7 min 20 sec)
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:37 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Quote:
I like to record my entire flights like you do, too. When I post them here, I try to cut out portions that might be redundant or less interesting, with a goal to keep the max. video length in the 4-5 min. range.
Tom I hear you. I realized that is was too long when I tried to show my wife and kids and they lost interest after a couple of minutes. I asked my 17 y/o son if he thought it was cool after he had been watching for only 4 minutes and he said, "I guess, but after 20 minutes it gets boring."

I actually did cut out several minutes of circuits around the landing field between the last low pass over the artificial turf and the landing. The total flight time was closer to 20 minutes. I could easily have gotten it down to 2-3 minutes though. Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:36 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Ok I think i got No 11..

Picked one from the 1st vendor on the list.

What should I do next??

.. is there any MUST HAVE s/w or stuff I shud do, definitely NOT DO, or that i should look into?.. aside from updating the date and time stamp

anyone know if Pinnacle Studio 14 will render this type of video Ok.. guess I'll find out soon enough..

---------
Yup! very glad to see this type video renders again in Pinnacle since my last new 808 Type ?? would choke .. (tho old Type 3' video from a year+ ago used to render fine.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61gCRMzosLQ

While the wife was off shopping I ran a little color /rez test in the drugstore..

A stroll thru CVS Drugs Store color & sharpness 808 No 11 test.mp4 (3 min 15 sec)

Regards, JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Mar 20, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: to add test .mp4 file.. and a second color & rez test
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:25 AM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
WING DRAGON 4 3-19-2011 1st flight (5 min 10 sec)

WING DRAGON 4 3-19-2011 3rd flight (9 min 7 sec)
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:29 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
167 Posts
removing date stamp?

Guys,

I bought one of theses HD key cams a few months ago. Now that the weather is finally getting warm enough to go flying I'm working to put the cam on my CopterX 450 heli.

Anyways, I have been trying the to remove the date stamp as described in post #12 of this thread. I followed the instructions but the date stamp is still there. I also can't notice the ~5s delay when the cam should be loading the new firmware.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be that the firmware doesn't work with newer versions of the cam?
HeliShredder is offline Find More Posts by HeliShredder
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliShredder View Post
Guys,

I bought one of theses HD key cams a few months ago. Now that the weather is finally getting warm enough to go flying I'm working to put the cam on my CopterX 450 heli.

Anyways, I have been trying the to remove the date stamp as described in post #12 of this thread. I followed the instructions but the date stamp is still there. I also can't notice the ~5s delay when the cam should be loading the new firmware.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be that the firmware doesn't work with newer versions of the cam?
Mine is also a couple of months old got it in January and was able to do the date stamp removal and the 4mb recording.. Make sure you are not making the same mistake I was doing,, you have to open the zip file and then place that in the root file on the 4mb card.. I was doing just the folder and that didn't work..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:53 PM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Quote:

I bought one of theses HD key cams a few months ago.
Are your movies are named after recording a PTDC0001.MOV?
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined May 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Mine is also a couple of months old got it in January and was able to do the date stamp removal and the 4mb recording.. Make sure you are not making the same mistake I was doing,, you have to open the zip file and then place that in the root file on the 4mb card.. I was doing just the folder and that didn't work..
Yes, I unzipped the zip file and put the "FW96630A.bin" (no date-stamp version) file in the cards root directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
Yes, the files are named this way. Does that mean anything?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I unzipped the zip file and put the "FW96630A.bin" (no date-stamp version) file in the cards root directory.
One user posted recently his firmware did not flash in even though following the correct procedure. Then found this solution where simply changing the ".bin" extension portion of the file name to upper case seemed to allow the firmware to load! I.E. change the file name from "FW96630A.bin" to "FW96630A.BIN"

Please try this and let us know if this works for you. If so, I will add this to my FAQs post.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined May 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
One user posted recently his firmware did not flash in even though following the correct procedure. Then found this solution where simply changing the ".bin" extension portion of the file name to upper case seemed to allow the firmware to load! I.E. change the file name from "FW96630A.bin" to "FW96630A.BIN"

Please try this and let us know if this works for you. If so, I will add this to my FAQs post.
Thanks! Changing the filename to "FW96630A.BIN" indeed worked. The time stamp is gone :-)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:15 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
oops
Last edited by empeabee; Mar 20, 2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Answer already given.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:16 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! Changing the filename to "FW96630A.BIN" indeed worked. The time stamp is gone :-)
VERY interesting! I wonder how that got changed in the camera's innards!

<edit>
Before I update my FAQs, I'd like to know a couple more things.

1. For those that this solution worked, do you now need to do this for any other firmware flash in, or does the ".bin" extension now work?

2. For anyone who already flashed in firmware successfully with the lower case ".bin" extension, can you also flash in firmware with the uppercase ".BIN" extension?

I want to know more before posting fixes. Maybe just changing my firmware file names to all have a ".BIN" extension can prevent future occurrences of this.
<edit>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 20, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:30 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
For Your Information - I have a Hand Scanner which records to micro SD - with the file name PTDCnnnn(.jpg) - it must use the same file writing software library as the #11. - there may well be other devices that use the same software library, so it may not be positive proof of idenity...
Mike
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:46 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,323 Posts
A MPX Blizzard and a #11 cam:
Blizzard HD Cam, Askim, Norway (4 min 6 sec)
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:01 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,380 Posts
That's one of the best 808HD cameras I've seen - do you have two, or was that made with several flights?
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:10 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
That's one of the best 808HD cameras I've seen - do you have two, or was that made with several flights?
Thanx! 3 flights mixed together.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:43 PM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Wing tip mount of the #11 camera...
I'm not allowed to do wing tip mount apparently.

Tried it on day one, checked the footage and had taken a photograph of the nose, not a video!

Tried it today, checked and double checked it was recording, made the flight, landed.... wing tip hit the deck and bumped the camera off or managed to switch it off without it saving the file!

I did get some footage from a 450 heli, but... it's jelo city.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:23 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
VERY interesting! I wonder how that got changed in the camera's innards!

<edit>
Before I update my FAQs, I'd like to know a couple more things.

1. For those that this solution worked, do you now need to do this for any other firmware flash in, or does the ".bin" extension now work?

2. For anyone who already flashed in firmware successfully with the lower case ".bin" extension, can you also flash in firmware with the uppercase ".BIN" extension?

I want to know more before posting fixes. Maybe just changing my firmware file names to all have a ".BIN" extension can prevent future occurrences of this.
<edit>
Tom, these are my results.
Both my cameras have the new CMOS sensor.
For both my cameras, updating the firmware is truly case insensitive.
To date, I have flashed different versions of the lower case firmware many, many times (I'm sure more than 20 times).

To confirm the Upper/Lower case extension name, I have just completed the following tests:
For my tests I use a card reader, I do not connect the camera directly to the PC.

Preparation:
I made three new folders called "_Date Off", "_Date On" and "_Continuous Recording" (note the leading underscore).
I copied the respective files "FW96630A.bin" to these folders but renamed the files to "FW96630A.BIN" (note UPPER case).

Testing:
I repeated the follwing steps 6 times (in this order: 3 x Upper Case file name, 3 x Lower Case file name) for the three versions using Windows XP for both my cameras (total 12 tests on two cameras).

- Format the card.
- Flashed firmware.
- Take a picture.
- Take a short video.
- Delete firmware file.
- Check results.
- Take a picture.
- Take a short video.
- Check results.

All six attempts worked perfectly on both my cameras. I had absolutely no problem whatsoever. I use a card reader and thus never connect the camera to the PC.

Since one can use both upper and lower case on at least my two cameras, I think it would be a good idea to rename the three firmware versions to upper case which should then work on all hardware versions? of these cameras.

Does this Upper/Lower case extension problem also occur on Windows systems or does it only occur on unix-based systems?

Very, very strange all this...
Last edited by Isoprop; Mar 21, 2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:10 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,425 Posts
Question, I've read but haven't found any tips on how to upload to youtube and retain the HD quality. Any leads would help
Thanks
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:01 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
A MPX Blizzard and a #11 cam:
That was a nice video - beautiful scenery made magic by the snow (& me being warm and snug indoors ).
Mike
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Does this Upper/Lower case extension problem also occur on Windows systems or does it only occur on unix-based systems?
Original MSDOS needed UPPERCASE only. (early Teletypes only had one case).
When windows came along this was changed to case insensitive though both upper case, lower case and mixed case file names were stored on the media, the search functionality remained case insensative, so windows people became sloppy.
Then at some time windows started to capitalise the first letter of file names in the directory listings, adding to the confusion.
Linux - being designed as a (free) Unix work alike for people who could not afford the huge cost of 'the real thing', decided it was better to use both cases.
It seems the software library used in the HDs came out of the Linux camp & some were along the line some one may have forgotten to set the case insensative parameter. (well it sounds like a good theory anyway )
Mike
Last edited by empeabee; Mar 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: slight clean up of the ramblings
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:12 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,323 Posts
Quote:
That was a nice video - beautiful scenery made magic by the snow (& me being warm and snug indoors ).
Mike
Thanks! I'm impressed with the quality of that camera. Guess I'll be making more movies in the future
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Mar 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: '
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Hot No 11 and a second question..

Hello All,,
is it normal to find your No 11 heats up if held in your hand after it's been recording for about 5 minutes or more.. mine did in my CVS Drugstore test (above in post 2363 so am wondering if I should be concerned enough to send its back, or not.. it brand new .. seems to be fine otherwise.. Red Light goes out normally after a few minutes of charge.

Question 2 : regarding the standard 20 minute recording feature..
should I expect that the cam will not only stop and save the last 20 minutes of video .. but auto-restart itself and keep on recording in 20 minute segments till my 4 Gig SD chip is full.. or do I need to manually re-press the start after each session.. it's not clear but suggested it will keep recording in the little pamphlet that came with it.
Thanks in advance,
JimS
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Original MSDOS needed UPPERCASE only. (early Teletypes only had one case).
When windows came along this was changed to case insensitive though both upper case, lower case and mixed case file names were stored on the media, the search functionality remained case insensative, so windows people became sloppy.
Then at some time windows started to capitalise the first letter of file names in the directory listings, adding to the confusion.
Linux - being designed as a (free) Unix work alike for people who could not afford the huge cost of 'the real thing', decided it was better to use both cases.
It seems the software library used in the HDs came out of the Linux camp & some were along the line some one may have forgotten to set the case insensative parameter. (well it sounds like a good theory anyway )
Mike
Thanks for this information, very interesting. My "PC world" started with CP/M and I only jumped into DOS when it was already at version 3.0/3.2. I also did a bit of unix in those days but don't remember all the file name confusion. Maybe I always used uppercase for DOS and lowercase for unix - no idea.
What I remember very well was vi (unix), and I loved it. Today I can't possibly imagine using such a cryptic editor!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
AAA External Battery

I have been doing some tests with 4 AAA external batteries and have come to the conclusion that it is simply not worth using AAA (and most probably AA) batteries as an external power source.
I monitored the output voltage from the batteries under load each minute. Here is a summary:

00:00 4.92V
05:00 4.78V
10:00 4.70V
15:00 4.64V
20:00 4.60V
25:00 4.55V
30:00 4.52V - threshold between here
35:00 4.49V - and here
40:00 4.46V
45:00 4.42V
50:00 4.40V
55:00 4.36V
60:00 4.35V
62:00 4.34V
63:00 4.34V
64:00 4.33V
65:00 4.33V
66:00 4.33V
67:00 4.32V
68:00 4.32V
69:00 4.34V - From here, definitely not charging or recordiong any more
70:00 4.34V
80:00 4.34V

IOW, using the special #11 cable I could record 68 minutes (88 minutes on the second camera) before the recording stopped. I used a freshly formatted 32GB card and Tom's continuous recording firmware (4GB S/S/C). After the recording stopped, the internal LIPO had enough power for approx. 4 minutes of additional recording. I suspect this could be due to the 10 minute interval between the two tests. The 4 AAA cells were not completly discharged and had power left in them.

I made two tests with two different cameras, using the same rechargeable 1000mAh AAA cells. Results were similar but deviated by about 10 minutes total recording time.

Testing was done with a fully charged internal battery and four fully charged 1000mAh AAA cells.

After discharge, it took max. 40 minutes to fully recharge the cells.

Unfortunately I don't have a 1000$ voltmeter, so the voltages are not 100% accurate. A second voltmeter showed a difference of +0.04V, so the above figures are most probably a bit on the low side.

Considering that AA/AAA cells are today all 1.2V, the results don't surprise me that much and I almost suspected that this was what would happen. It is, however, disappointing.

Without an external power source my camera will record approx. 35 minutes. From the above figures, this means that the threshold is about 4.52V (or 4.56V on my second voltmeter).

I conclude that using 1.2V cells is not the way to go. A constant voltage of 5V is needed. This can only be obtained by using special USB battery backup packs.
Last edited by Isoprop; Mar 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Hello All,,
is it normal to find your No 11 heats up if held in your hand after it's been recording for about 5 minutes or more.. mine did in my CVS Drugstore test (above in post 2363 so am wondering if I should be concerned enough to send its back, or not.. it brand new .. seems to be fine otherwise.. Red Light goes out normally after a few minutes of charge.

should I expect that the cam will not only stop and save the last 20 minutes of video .. but auto-restart itself and keep on recording in 20 minute segments till my 4 Gig SD chip is full.. or do I need to manually re-press the start after each session.. it's not clear but suggested it will keep recording in the little pamphlet that came with it.
Thanks in advance,
JimS
Ahhhh, at last, a "nuts and bolts", non-technical question......maybe I can help

My cameras all heat up just a little when taking video (or charging for that matter). Not much, but you can detect an increase over the ambient temp. It IS noticible.

Yes, it continues recording without you having to restart the camera. It's automatic. Tom and others report a missing second or two between files but it's really brief.

Hope this helps

Yabba
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Hello All,,

Thanks in advance,
JimS
Yes, the camera gets nice and warm (not hot) when recording. That's how you know that it's running.

The standard firmware is 20 minutes Stop/Save/Continue which is AUTOMATIC. However, with this firmware you will most likely lose the last partial 20 minute clip because the firmware does not save the file when the battery gets low.
Use Tom's continuous firmware. This does not have the timestamp and will save the last partial clip when the battery gets low.

<EDIT>Sorry Yabba, I see you beat me to this!<EDIT>
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:06 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Thanks..

Hello Yabba and Iso..

Thank you both very much for the tips on what to expect.. temperature and file saving wise..

I'm glad it saves every 20, I don't plan to do any firmware mods for a bit .. even if I might loose that last 20 min session.. seems a bit risky to 'fash" it.. I'm assuming I will likely run out of battery before that happens anyway.. and with Continuous firmware loaded .. it's probably unable to detect the vltg threshold and do a final save last ditch save is it?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:46 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:

<EDIT>Sorry Yabba, I see you beat me to this!<EDIT>
I had to jump in fast Finally, something not too technical that I actually knew the answer to.

Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Mar 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: sam as awways....spelin
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Tom, these are my results.
Both my cameras have the new CMOS sensor.
For both my cameras, updating the firmware is truly case insensitive.
To date, I have flashed different versions of the lower case firmware many, many times (I'm sure more than 20 times).

Thanks for taking the testing to the extreme! So it appears that at least with the latest version 2 cameras with number on the CMOS ribbon cable, it makes no difference, or at least on yours. I don't have my original version 1 camera with the earlier CMOS to test with an upper case extension, but I do know it worked fine with a lower case extension. And the question remains as to what version of the camera do the guys have that did NOT work with the lower file case extension? My version 2 flashed in the firmware OK, although the yellow LED did not come on as it should, and the buttons were unresponsive afterwards. I only recovered after connecting to the PC USB port where I deleted the firmware file, disconnected, and was back to normal after that. I'm beginning to think the main problem is just a flakey flashing ability of the camera, with nothing to do with the file name at all!

I don't think the WINDOWS/LINUX issue makes any difference if they both copy the file name verbatim to the card, which should be the case, I'd think, whether the file names are case sensitive or not. And since the camera's OS is doing the reading, that's the only one that matters when it comes to the file name being upper/lower case.

At any rate, I'll change the file extensions to upper case on my firmware archived files linked here, and we'll see what problems may develop going forward.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
I have been doing some tests with 4 AAA external batteries and have come to the conclusion that it is simply not worth using AAA (and most probably AA) batteries as an external power source.
May be worth putting your conclusion in perspective by mentioning how long you need to supply external power?

Your tests for recording time with 1000 mAH AAA cells is not nearly what I experienced with just 800 mAH AAA Eneloop NiMH cells. Starting with fully charged external 4 cell pack and internal lipo, my 4GB flash card filled up in 73 min. (at the 7000 kbps recording bit rate of my camera), which is all I want to do with the external pack. I wiped the card without recharging anything and let the camera continue to record until power finally died, and the total recording time from start to finish was 123 min. 23 sec.! A LOT longer than you got. Difference might be due to the quality or ability of the cells to hold voltage under load, or if your camera records at the 10,000 kbps recording bit rate, it might be consuming considerably more power?

At any rate, I think it's fair to say a 4 cell AAA pack can be OK as an external power source, depending on how long you need to supply power. If the intent is to only power the camera long enough to fill a 4GB flash card (which is all I wanted), AAA cells should be quite adequate.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 21, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
...and with Continuous firmware loaded .. it's probably unable to detect the vltg threshold and do a final save last ditch save is it?
I thought Isoprop answered this. With the continuous firmware loaded the camera will save everything it records, and will only stop completely if the flash card fills up or the battery dies. In both cases, the file will be saved. If the card has more than 4GB capacity, the recording will stop and save at 4GB files size intervals, then continue on automatically.

Please check the FAQs in post #3... this is explained there.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:58 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
I monitored the output voltage from the batteries under load each minute. Here is a summary:

00:00 4.92V
05:00 4.78V
10:00 4.70V
15:00 4.64V
20:00 4.60V
25:00 4.55V
30:00 4.52V - threshold between here
35:00 4.49V - and here
40:00 4.46V
45:00 4.42V
50:00 4.40V
55:00 4.36V
60:00 4.35V
62:00 4.34V
63:00 4.34V
64:00 4.33V
65:00 4.33V
66:00 4.33V
67:00 4.32V
68:00 4.32V
69:00 4.34V - From here, definitely not charging or recordiong any more
70:00 4.34V
80:00 4.34V

IOW, using the special #11 cable I could record 68 minutes (88 minutes on the second camera) before the recording stopped. I used a freshly formatted 32GB card and Tom's continuous recording firmware (4GB S/S/C). After the recording stopped, the internal LIPO had enough power for approx. 4 minutes of additional recording. I suspect this could be due to the 10 minute interval between the two tests. The 4 AAA cells were not completly discharged and had power left in them.

I made two tests with two different cameras, using the same rechargeable 1000mAh AAA cells. Results were similar but deviated by about 10 minutes total recording time.

Testing was done with a fully charged internal battery and four fully charged 1000mAh AAA cells.

After discharge, it took max. 40 minutes to fully recharge the cells.

Unfortunately I don't have a 1000$ voltmeter, so the voltages are not 100% accurate. A second voltmeter showed a difference of +0.04V, so the above figures are most probably a bit on the low side.

Considering that AA/AAA cells are today all 1.2V, the results don't surprise me that much and I almost suspected that this was what would happen. It is, however, disappointing.

Without an external power source my camera will record approx. 35 minutes. From the above figures, this means that the threshold is about 4.52V (or 4.56V on my second voltmeter).

I conclude that using 1.2V cells is not the way to go. A constant voltage of 5V is needed. This can only be obtained by using special USB battery backup packs.
you could try The AnyVolt up/down regulator from 1/2 cell Lipo
or a simple 7805 1 amp linea voltage regulator chip off 2/3s Lipo.
Though both need some thought about protecting the Lipo(s) from under voltage situations.
Mike
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:06 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
I don't think the WINDOWS/LINUX issue makes any difference if they both copy the file name verbatim to the card, which should be the case, I'd think, whether the file names are case sensitive or not. And since the camera's OS is doing the reading, that's the only one that matters when it comes to the file name being upper/lower case.

At any rate, I'll change the file extensions to upper case on my firmware archived files linked here, and we'll see what problems may develop going forward.
Agreed, I thought a bit of Industrial archaeology would help clarify what we were talking about for W users.
Mike
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
you could try The AnyVolt up/down regulator from 1/2 cell Lipo
or a simple 7805 1 amp linea voltage regulator chip off 2/3s Lipo.
Though both need some thought about protecting the Lipo(s) from under voltage situations.
Mike
Quote:
...Your tests for recording time with 1000 mAH AAA cells is not nearly what I experienced with just 800 mAH AAA Eneloop NiMH cells. Starting with fully charged external 4 cell pack and internal lipo, my 4GB flash card filled up in 73 min. (at the 7000 kbps recording bit rate of my camera), which is all I want to do with the external pack. I wiped the card without recharging anything and let the camera continue to record until power finally died, and the total recording time from start to finish was 123 min. 23 sec.! A LOT longer than you got. Difference might be due to the quality or ability of the cells to hold voltage under load, or if your camera records at the 10,000 kbps recording bit rate, it might be consuming considerably more power?

At any rate, I think it's fair to say a 4 cell AAA pack can be OK as an external power source, depending on how long you need to supply power. If the intent is to only power the camera long enough to fill a 4GB flash card (which is all I wanted), AAA cells should be quite adequate.
A simple 7805 would definitely NOT WORK with 4 AAA/AAA cells. The 78.. series need an input voltage in excess of the output voltage. Out of my head, I think the 7805 needs at least 7 Volts input voltage.

I don't know the AnyVolt up/down regulator, but from the name it seems that it could work with AA/AAA cells or even single cell LIPOs. Thanks for the information anyway, it could become useful in other projects.

My tests were, however, refering specifically to 4 AAA cells. Like Tom says, their use may be legitimate if only short recording times are required. My tests used about 5.4+GB of memory, which I had forgotten to mention. So, if you have a 4GB card, there is ample power.

For my purposes, I require much longer recording times and for this, using AA/AAA cells is out of question.

Tom, you really did get much better performance than I did. My cells are 1000mAh and brand new. I will discharge/recharge them a few times and see if performace increases. Maybe that is why I got a 10 minute increase in my second test? My tests were done at 10 Mb/s - yet something else to take into consideration...

I only made the tests to help others in deciding what type of external power to use and for updating my post (which I hope to do tomorrow).

I will continue to use the Just Mobile Gum Pro, which I have found to be totally reliable and convenient. I have been using the Just Mobile for almost 2 years with my modified (cut track) #3 GumPacks and earlier versions and it has never let me down.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Tom, you really did get much better performance than I did. My cells are 1000mAh and brand new. I will discharge/recharge them a few times and see if performace increases. Maybe that is why I got a 10 minute increase in my second test? My tests were done at 10 Mb/s - yet something else to take into consideration...
The Eneloop cells I used were taken out of a box where they had been stored after one charge cycle perhaps one year ago. I re-charged them just once for my test. The Eneloop cells are of the newer chemistry which does not self discharge like older cells as you probably know.... supposed to retain about 90% voltage after a year in storage! But I had read they aren't that great at holding voltage under load... never tried to measure mine though.

I don't think that can explain the much longer recording time I got, especially with your cells having 25% more total capacity, and maybe of similar chemistry. Did you happen to be able to measure the current drain your camera has when recording at the higher 10Mbps data rate? I think that must be a major contributor to our different results.

As an aside, the small AAA NiCAD RX packs I got with my TXs are also good for my purposes... I don't use them for anything else.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
FYI... I have made this change to both the date stamp firmware and the continuous recording firmware. While at it, I also put the date stamp ON/OFF folders in the continuous recording folder since we now know they can be flashed in to restore the 20 min. stop/save/continue recording function.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:09 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,380 Posts
Quote:
For my purposes, I require much longer recording times and for this, using AA/AAA cells is out of question.
Why bother with AA or AAA? I'm hacking car charger which puts out 5v, to run off a lipo. The one I'm using gives 2A, and the circuit board weighs only 15g. Also it accepts input from 12 to 24 v.

Looks a lot like the one in your posting, but is not the same, it was for a GPS.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:34 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Tom,
wow that's a pretty cool s/w patch..
Thanks.. I have gone thru the FAQ's but reading 'em is one thing .. understanding them another, and at the time i skimmed thry it assuming this cheap little bitty keycam would be too stupid to know when it was about too loose battery vltg, OR overflow the memory.. that's pretty neat! JimS

Quote:
I thought Isoprop answered this. With the continuous firmware loaded the camera will save everything it records, and will only stop completely if the flash card fills up or the battery dies. In both cases, the file will be saved. If the card has more than 4GB capacity, the recording will stop and save at 4GB files size intervals, then continue on automatically.

Please check the FAQs in post #3... this is explained there.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:45 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,986 Posts
Quote:
A simple 7805 would definitely NOT WORK with 4 AAA/AAA cells. The 78.. series need an input voltage in excess of the output voltage. Out of my head, I think the 7805 needs at least 7 Volts input voltage .... 7805 1 amp linear voltage regulator chip off 2/3s Lipo.
= crossed wires.
& I agree, if you are wed to 4AAA's it won't work.
The AnyVolt input is 2.5v....13.5v. Output 2.5..9 @ 0.5A (which is the rub).
Mike
Closed Thread