Closed Thread
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:47 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120ccpm View Post
Hi, I'm not sure if this problem has been already discussed here (I did a search but could not find anything), but the MP4s created by Avidemux, following Tom's instructions, do not play in QuickTime Player (computer is running XP SP3).

This is exactly what I do:
- open the MOV file created by the camera in Avidemux, say "Yes" when it displays the warning about H.264
- select MPEG-4 AVC for video, Average Bitrate (2 passes), 5000 kbps
- set filters (rotate, color, noise, sharpening)
- select MP3 (lame) for audio, Stereo CBR 128kbps
- set Format to MP4

The result is an MP4 file that QuickTime cannot open (it throws error -2041: an invalid sample description was found in the movie your_file.mp4).
iTunes manages to display few frames, skipping 99% of the video and with no audio.
In Nero ShowTime the video is smooth, but there is no audio.
VLC is the only one that plays video+audio with no errors.
If you have a Windows PC, I'd avoid Quicktime like the plague! Some of your playback problem may be due to your hardware, but for sure I'd install the freeware ffdshow codec pack as a minimum (see post # 3 editing link for download site).

In the interim, try changing your output format from .MP4 to .AVI in AviDemux. That can make a difference with some programs.

FWIW, if you are shooting in good light, you probably can delete the de-noise filter. That can extend the transcoding time a lot with no visible improvement. In fact, some of the de-noise filters blur the image when they reduce noise, diminishing the benefit of the sharpening filter.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Exactly, what I'm trying to understand is why Avidemux is creating MP4s that are not 100% compatible...
I think the problem is that the .MOV file the camera spits out is not fully .MOV compliant to begin with. ANd .MOV is not identically equal to .MP4. The MP4 files AviDemux produces work fine with my Windows software that can play .MP4 format. Quicktime maybe cannot because the original .MOV files was not up to full Apple .MOV spec, so neither is the MP4 from AviDemux?

When I just do a direct stream copy of the .MOV file into an .AVI container, I get audio but no video. I've tried this with another program with the same result. BUT, VLC can play it and nothing else. The only program that can do a direct stream copy of the camera's video stream from .MOV to .AVI container is MP4cam2AVI. That is the absolute BEST way to get the video into a .AVI file container... no transcoding, so no degradation, and VERY fast, and the .AVI file produced works as it should.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinG0 View Post
I was trying with standart USB cable. BTW this is very useful info - thanks Tom. I'm thinking now to get one of THIS, but I'm not sure if 450mA output is enough to supply our camera.
In the external battery box post test I recently posted, the battery draw averaged about 528 mA at a nominal 5V over the duration of the test. Also, the picture of the wall wart shows a 600 mA rating at 12V, and one of the user comments mentioned that as well. But other users reported blowing the supply when connecting too high a load, so who knows for sure?

The car charger cable is rated for 1.5A at 5V, almost three times what my camera drew, so it has more capacity than needed. Personally, I'd look for a higher rated car plug transformer (like 1A) to raise my comfort level for the camera and in case I wanted to connect something else to that supply cable that might draw that much current. But if you happened to blow the wall wart, the cost is cheap (just don't burn down your house!)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 07, 2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Deleted watt rating references
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:43 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Quicktime maybe cannot because the original .MOV files was not up to full Apple .MOV spec, so neither is the MP4 from AviDemux?
FWIW I can play the "crossing the bridge" demo video with iTunes (Apple program) even on my underpowered netbook.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:36 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,993 Posts
Quote:
In the external battery box post test I recently posted, the battery draw averaged about 528 mA at a nominal 5V over the duration of the test. That's about 2.65 watts of power consumed. The 450 mAH at 12V available from that wall charger is a nominal 5.4 watts of power. So it SHOULD be enough, even with efficiency losses. Also, the picture of the wall wart shows a 600 mA rating at 12V, and one of the user comments mentioned that. But other users reported blowing the supply when connecting too high a load, so who knows for sure?
Tom I'm a bit confused by your numbers.
Earlier I'm sure you said the camera took 350mA from your external batt when powering a fully charged camera taking video.
If we assume the camera lipo charges at 250 mA, then we have 600 odd mA to supply.
If the Car charger uses in inexpensive linear regulator, then the 12v supply will have to provide the full 600 odd mAs (excess wattage goes into cooking the car charger.
If it uses a simple switching regulator, the it will still have to supply 600 mA, but for only (aprox) half the time.
Only a high frequency transformer coupled switcher will take less current, but these are expensive - need a transformer (a simple high frequency one) which is expensive and bulky - I haven't taken a car charger to bits...
Mike

Quote:
The car charger cable is rated for 1.5A at 5V, almost three times what my camera drew. Personally, I'd look for a higher rated car plug transformer (like 1A) to raise my comfort level in case I wanted to connect something else to that supply cable. But if you happended to blow the wall wart, the cost is cheap (just don't burn down your house!)
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Hi Mike... I'm a bit confused as well... see my comments in red below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Tom I'm a bit confused by your numbers.
Earlier I'm sure you said the camera took 350mA from your external batt when powering a fully charged camera taking video.

Yes, that's right. In that test I just filled my 4GB flash memory card, then stopped. The lipo was fully charged when I started and when I quit. So all the power that the external pack supplied ended up equalling what the camera need to record.

When I posted the numbers you question, I was in the process of revising my external battery test numbers which didn't agree with my first test, and that had me confused... still does. My second test with the newly built plastic case pack was extended, by filling the flash card, then wiping it and continuing to record until the external battery could no longer furnish any useable power and the internal battery was also depleted. In that test, I also has replaced the internal battery which I found had deteriorated to about 1/2 it's capacity. The replacement battery was a smaller 120 mAH lipo. In that second test more average power was supplied to the camera which I calculated from the measured mAH put back in the pack and the recording time. Considerably more average current (528 mA) was delivered in the second test, even though the internal battery was fully charged to begin with. That is incidental to your question, but contributed to my befuddled reply since I can't explain why the second test numbers vary so much from the first. I don't think the size of the internal battery or charging it is a factor if the lipo is fully charged to begin with, which it was. (see below).

If the Car charger uses in inexpensive linear regulator, then the 12v supply will have to provide the full 600 odd mAs (excess wattage goes into cooking the car charger.
If it uses a simple switching regulator, the it will still have to supply 600 mA, but for only (aprox) half the time.
Only a high frequency transformer coupled switcher will take less current, but these are expensive - need a transformer (a simple high frequency one) which is expensive and bulky - I haven't taken a car charger to bits...

Yes, that all makes sense and you are right. I was juggling too many test numbers and thinking of the wall wart as a transformer doing a step down from 12V to 5V, which of course it does not as you correctly indicate. The step down occurs in the charger cable, and I suspect it is just a linear regulator. And if the camera battery were fully depleted when the external pack were connected and a recording were started, then the external pack could be called on to supply the current to both charge the lipo and power the camera (e.g. 600 mA) as you mention. I was not even considering that to be honest, assuming the camera battery would be fully charged before recording as I always do. In that case, the external pack would only need to supply the camera recording load (350 mA) as my first test showed. Both internal and external batteries would eventually work together to share that load as the external battery voltage diminished until they both were depleted.

Anyway, thanks for catching my glitch... I will revise my prior post accordingly. I should stop playing with the camera and start using it to record some video... and I would if some Spring-like weather would get here!

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:28 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
How are you reverting back to the 20 min. S/S/C function... by flashing back in one of the date on/off .bin files?

I want to add this info to the Continuous Record firmware post.
Yes, you can revert back to any version. For testing purposes I've flashed back and forth many times and never had a problem. The only problem I had was on both my cameras when I did the very first flash on the new camera.

I have flashed thru all versions, even back to the "date on", which I certainly don't want! I've switched firmware versions at least 10-20 times, maybe even more. Yes, I went pretty wild . After the initial flash on both cameras, I NEVER had a problem with flashing again.

FWIW, my original "Runaway time" camera is now working perfectly with the 4GB S/S/C firmware. That's the one where I also had to re-position the power switch. The micro switch has also got it's "click" feeling back. When I removed / reinstalled the switch I had fluxed it up. I have now cleaned the switch by using Q-tips soaked in acetone. I used seven Q-tips for the job. I was a bit worried about using something as strong as acetone, but it seems to have done a perfect job, the camera works as if new. The problem is that you have to use plenty of flux to remove the switch, but I guess I could have used a little less when resoldering the switch back into position.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:17 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk View Post
Maybe I missed it...could not find it in search... Lots of talk about how to glue dot silicone attach the camera...but what I need to do is attach some velcro to the case . I am not sure the velcro would stick. Maybe there is some glue ai can use to attach the velco to the case so it doen't peel off when I go to pull the cam/velcro off the hook side ...which is mounted permanently to a plywood mount.

I use this stuff: Scotch Heavy Duty Fastener. It will NOT come loose. I have never had a problem with it, and I've used it to attach a bunch of cameras. I fly cameras on my Stryker at 70MPH+ all the time.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:24 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
I think the problem is that the .MOV file the camera spits out is not fully .MOV compliant to begin with. ANd .MOV is not identically equal to .MP4. The MP4 files AviDemux produces work fine with my Windows software that can play .MP4 format. Quicktime maybe cannot because the original .MOV files was not up to full Apple .MOV spec, so neither is the MP4 from AviDemux?
Did some tests, it turned out that the problem was the MP3 audio: if I use AAC, QuickTime can open the file with no problems, and it works well in other apps too, so I'm going to settle on AVC/AAC.
120ccpm is offline Find More Posts by 120ccpm
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:53 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
I recorded this with my #11 and was wondering if someone can tell me what the buzzing noise is towards the end?

Edit with windows movie maker on win7 64bit..

Sure took a long time to get this uploaded on U Tube over 6 hours and it's still not finished with processing.. So not sure if this is even going to work..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKYdo6HWL54

It's been stuck at 82% processing for 6 hours I might as well give up on it yes??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Mar 08, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:49 AM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
I made again a movie recorded yesterday with the #11 camera.
This is footage from 4 flights yesterday with a bad crash at the end

Parkzone trojan t-28d 4 flights / loopings / inverted end of day crash (8 min 52 sec)
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:15 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike... I'm a bit confused as well... see my comments in red below.
AAhhh - Understood - now - I was beginning to doubt my self 2 !
Thank you for the clarification - I was lazy and didnt test my own camera .
So I think the wall wart that started this is on the marginal side - it may or maynot do the trick. It probably will charge, OR run the camera, but it is doubtful that it will do both without letting it's magic smoke out
Again, thanks
Mike
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:05 AM
USA, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Jun 2008
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I recorded this with my #11 and was wondering if someone can tell me what the buzzing noise is towards the end?

Edit with windows movie maker on win7 64bit..

Sure took a long time to get this uploaded on U Tube over 6 hours and it's still not finished with processing.. So not sure if this is even going to work..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKYdo6HWL54

It's been stuck at 82% processing for 6 hours I might as well give up on it yes??
I have had problems with youtube and loading vids sometimes. I have had to use the "classic" uploader in order to get some videos to upload. Perhaps you should give that a try, if there is still that option.

BTW I have read many of the posts here. I wanted to let you guys know that the camera I got records at the 10 Mpbs not the 6.5 of many others here. I am using a transend 4GB class 6 card.
BBoice is offline Find More Posts by BBoice
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:50 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Did some tests, it turned out that the problem was the MP3 audio: if I use AAC, QuickTime can open the file with no problems, and it works well in other apps too, so I'm going to settle on AVC/AAC.
Glad you figured this out. It's apparently another Apple quirk with Quicktime, which is why I avoid it like the plague. The MP3 audio in an MP4 container plays and edits fine with any of my Windows players/editors.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 08, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:54 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
The FAQs in Post #3 will answer this.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoice View Post
BTW I have read many of the posts here. I wanted to let you guys know that the camera I got records at the 10 Mpbs not the 6.5 of many others here. I am using a transend 4GB class 6 card.
Which almost certainly means that you can ALSO record with 7 Mb/s by first taking a photo.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:40 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda Inc. View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65tlFjqpztw
Great job Anda. Loved the audio dub, my kind of movie.

I almost said VICTA !!! you got me again. I thought he had changed his Username

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:58 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
You might give Vimeo.com a try instead of YouTube... the upload bandwidth of YouTube must be outrageously high due to all the stuff that gets uploaded there. IMHO, Vimeo has higher quality transcoding of your clip as well, and Vimeo keeps your original upload available for one week for downloading by others (if you toggle on that permission) so they can see the original quality. The only limit is one 1280x720 HD upload per week with a file size limit of 500MB.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 08, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:10 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post

Yabba
Not me - my T-28 was FUBAR long ago!! That's a well done video though so that's a compliment!
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:31 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post

Yabba
Hehe thx m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Not me - my T-28 was FUBAR long ago!! That's a well done video though so that's a compliment!
Thx to you also m8
I just need to get a little bit better with editing and maybe adding some special effects with adobe.
Problem is that adobe costs a fortune.
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:23 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
OK I tried again... Lets see if it works this time... speaking of time it sure takes a long time to upload a five minute move just under a hour for each minute.. Once again what is the noise towards the end is this the battery going low or card space low or something else..??

4G6SFBL at Greenmead field 3 7 11 (5 min 46 sec)
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
OK I tried again... Lets see if it works this time... speaking of time it sure takes a long time to upload a five minute move just under a hour for each minute.. Once again what is the noise towards the end is this the battery going low or card space low or something else..??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxBXsvLqFUs
Did you NOT read the two posts I left to your prior post? 5 hours to upload a 5 min. HD video is ridiculous. Use Vimeo! And read the FAQs on post #3.

<EDIT> I just watched your video. The buzzing in it has the same sound as the low battery artifact, but it is not steady and uniform at one sec. intervals like the low battery sound. Yours seems intermittent... not sure what is causing that if your battery has full charge. If you have at least a 4GB card in your camera, start a recording and let it sit until the battery dies. You should get at least two 20 min. clips recorded if your battery is charged and in good condition. We know the camera is sensitive to RF noise, such as from a car ignition system, but that sounds more like higher pitched static than the buzzing sounds.

Your focus along the left edge of the frame is also worse than the right side... some cameras have had that defect... I had one and returned it for a replacement, as have a few other users. Something to consider, especially with the noise in addition.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 08, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:41 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxBXsvLqFUs
[/URL]Did you NOT read the two posts I left to your prior post? 5 hours to upload a 5 min. HD video is ridiculous. Use Vimeo! And read the FAQs on post #3.

<EDIT> I just watch your video. The buzzing in it has the same sounds as the low battery artifact, but it is not steady and uniform at one sec. intervals like the low battery sound. Yours seems intermittent... not sure what is causing that. We know the camera is sensitive to RF noise, such as from a car ignition system, but it sounds more like higher pitched static than the buzzing sounds.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like some kind of code to me... Yes I ready your post but was in the middle of doing this one again so didn't want to stop it.. I shot some more today but haven't check them yet to see if it's still there.. It wasn't in the first videos that I did..

Maybe it's the cold that makes it sound different than in the other videos?? It was about 37F.. And while not dieing the battery was having a hard time making the required power?
Last edited by livonia bob; Mar 08, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:47 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:

Gee, that would be a SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW connection. I can upload a 6 minute raw HD vid from my Sony cam in about 20 minutes. Comcast broad band.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:30 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Hey livonia bob,

That is a slow connection. My vids take about 20 minutes to upload to YouTube. I'm not sure why but YouTube says I've been cleared to upload videos of longer than 15 minutes.

I couldn't take a video of that length from the nose of a PZ T-28 but maybe I can use that length at our warbird day this year. Maybe.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:23 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Thanks for letting me know that you think it's a slow connection... I haven't tested it lately and don't even remember how now.. You think I'm not getting my 45 bucks a month worth of speed???
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:29 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know that you think it's a slow connection... I haven't tested it lately and don't even remember how now.. You think I'm not getting my 45 bucks a month worth of speed???
Run a speedtest on your broadband connection.

Mine is on a wireless connection and it ran 5 MB down and 1.1 upload.

Go here and test with the Chicago site.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:53 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
here's my first test with this camera -
Onboard Camera falls from RC plane in flight! Sunset flight- Hobbyzone Super Cub LP- 808 # 11HD cam (4 min 32 sec)

My first test video with the 808 HD camera velcroed to my Hobbyzone Super Cub LP RC aircraft flying at the Apollo XI airfield (at the Valley Flyers RC aircraft club, in Encino, CA (just outside LA), close to sunset- the end of the film shows the camera's FPV when it detaches itself from the plane in flight..it survived the fall- pretty robust! Next time I will figure out how to secure it better- not just so it doesn't detach but also to reduce the shakiness and vibration, especially during full throttle- I've also ordered the fisheye lens from dealextreme and a 2nd 808 HD #11 cam for secondary POVs- watch this space!
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:55 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:

How is this video 1080p when the camera only shoots up to 720p?
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:59 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Run a speedtest on your broadband connection.

Mine is on a wireless connection and it ran 5 MB down and 1.1 upload.

Go here and test with the Chicago site.
OK as soon as this movie get finished loading I'll give it a try.. Thanks...
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:02 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda Inc. View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65tlFjqpztw
How did you upload this as 1080p when the cam only shoots up to 720p- is it upscaled and not true 1080p?
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:04 PM
USA, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Jun 2008
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
How is this video 1080p when the camera only shoots up to 720p?
I am assuming that when the vid was edited the user upconverted it to 1080p.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:05 PM
USA, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Jun 2008
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Which almost certainly means that you can ALSO record with 7 Mb/s by first taking a photo.
I am going to test this now!! I must have misread. I thought that the 10 Mbps was after taking the photo not the other way around. There are ALOT of posts here so dont flame me too hard for that. At least I read them, the faqs, and did my research before asking tons of noob ?s.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:18 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
[/URL]...
Maybe it's the cold that makes it sound different than in the other videos?? It was about 37F.. And while not dieing the battery was having a hard time making the required power?
Hmmm... a good theory with the way lipos drop voltage under load when they get cold! That just might be it... I haven't noticed it in other videos posted here shot in obvious cold weather, but not all batteries are equal. Mine just failed after maybe an hour or two of recording! Some indoor video clips might be a good test.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:48 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
Another HD Micro Camera? Claims 1080P

I have requested a sample AVI file from the wholesaler. Until then, I don't know if it is real HD or fake HD.

Early heads-up about another HD micro camera claim called the D300 that could be a contender. It seems to be available from a wholesaler but not at retail yet. I have not seen any sample AVI or JPG files. "Bring you convenience, safety, rich and colorful daily life". LOL

It is nearly an 808 size camera that is AVI MJPEG H.264. Slightly different package. The HD #11 and HD #12 are MOV H.264 and AVI MJPEG, respectively.

Unverified claims: Video 1920x1080P AVI MJPEG H.264, photo 4032X3024, 15 FPS, optional (composite) video output, 400 mAh battery.

Bizarre claims: Up to 64G flash card (SDHC max is 32GB. Unlikely to be SDXC.)

D300 Alibaba and D300 PDF

=== 11030918 UPDATE ===
Tom is correct. It is AVI MJPEG.
Other links:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...amera_spy.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...on_camera.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...ey_camera.html

-- Chuck at www.chucklohr.com/808
Normandy5 is offline Find More Posts by Normandy5
Last edited by Normandy5; Mar 09, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:58 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
[/URL]Maybe it's the cold that makes it sound different than in the other videos?? It was about 37F.. And while not dieing the battery was having a hard time making the required power?
There was a guy who had a problem with a #3 in the cold, confirmed by putting the cam in the refrigerator (not the freezer!!) for a few hours. For sure the lipos lose a lot of power close to freezing. We did a lot of tests on heating of our flight batteries, including hand warmers etc, makes a huge difference.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:15 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
There was a guy who had a problem with a #3 in the cold, confirmed by putting the cam in the refrigerator (not the freezer!!) for a few hours. For sure the lipos lose a lot of power close to freezing. We did a lot of tests on heating of our flight batteries, including hand warmers etc, makes a huge difference.

I was heating up the flight batteries but as the cam was in the warm truck I didn't think it would have a problem as it's not getting all the prop blast cooling it off fast... Did more video yesterday and no noise.. So I think it was just the cold..
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:04 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandy5 View Post
I have requested a sample AVI file from the wholesaler. Until then, I don't know if it is real HD or fake HD.

Early heads-up about another HD micro camera claim called the D300 that could be a contender. It seems to be available from a wholesaler but not at retail yet. I have not seen any sample AVI or JPG files. "Bring you convenience, safety, rich and colorful daily life". LOL

It is nearly an 808 size camera that is AVI H.264. Slightly different package. The HD #11 and HD #12 are MOV H.264 and AVI MJPEG, respectively.

Unverified claims: Video 1920x1080P AVI H.264, photo 4032X3024, 15 FPS, optional (composite) video output, 400 mAh battery.

Bizarre claims: Up to 64G flash card (SDHC max is 32GB. Unlikely to be SDXC.)

D300 Alibaba and D300 PDF

-- Chuck at www.chucklohr.com/808
Thanks, Chuck... good to know what's popping up out there. I did see the Alibaba link shows it as MJPEG codec rather than H.264. With video out, this might be something of interest to FPV fans, but the step up to 1080p with the drop down to only 15 fps is a step in the wrong direction for AV recording IMHO. I'd much rather see 720p at 60 fps for smoother video.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoice View Post
I am going to test this now!! I must have misread. I thought that the 10 Mbps was after taking the photo not the other way around. There are ALOT of posts here so dont flame me too hard for that. At least I read them, the faqs, and did my research before asking tons of noob ?s.
Apparently some cameras are fixed at 7 Mb/s, while others can toggle from 10 Mb/s to 7 Mb/s by taking a picture immediately before recording the video. Nobody has yet come up with an explanation...

FWIW, I have updated this page to include pictures of different commercial battery driven external power supplies.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

Does anyone know if the #11 camera can be purchased from a source in the USA, or if there is a way to get one abroad with express delivery? I would like to have one before going on vacation in a week.
juanh is offline Find More Posts by juanh
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:44 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,993 Posts
for those who wonder about speed - nominal 8Mbs
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:

FWIW, I have updated this page to include pictures of different commercial battery driven external power supplies.
NICE! I'll now change my FAQ link to just go to your post... it covers ALL the bases extremely well. Thanks for taking the time to put it together!

<EDIT>
I actually linked two of the FAQs to your post. One had also asked how long it takes to charge the battery. I didn't see that in your post, so maybe you can add a sentence on the charge time from fully discharged to fully charged? I never really timed it, but it's close to an hour, I think. <EDIT>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 09, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanh View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

Does anyone know if the #11 camera can be purchased from a source in the USA, or if there is a way to get one abroad with express delivery? I would like to have one before going on vacation in a week.
The only sources known to deliver the #11 camera discussed here are listed on Post #2. You can contact any/all of them via their ebay page link and ask about express delivery options, if any. I don't think you will like the price, even if they will do it.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 05:17 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
I ran my camera on a road trip today with the car charger pluged in. It recorded fine but I only know that because my computer will not recognize it when I plug it in. I can put my sd card in another 808 camera or in the card adapter and see the videos but it will not let me connect my #11 to the computer. I hope running it so long with the car charger did not mess it up.

Never mind false alarm I guess the battery was draind to far down or somthing.. After letting it charge it connected right up..
SpaKack is offline Find More Posts by SpaKack
Old Mar 09, 2011, 05:30 PM
USA, OH, Marysville
Joined May 2010
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaKack View Post
I ran my camera on a road trip today with the car charger pluged in. It recorded fine but I only know that because my computer will not recognize it when I plug it in. I can put my sd card in another 808 camera or in the card adapter and see the videos but it will not let me connect my #11 to the computer. I hope running it so long with the car charger did not mess it up.

Never mind false alarm I guess the battery was draind to far down or somthing.. After letting it charge it connected right up..
For my computer to recognize the camera I have to turn on the camera.
jmdlcar is offline Find More Posts by jmdlcar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Binding VLToys V212 Quadcopter
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
Yeah I have to turn it on to connect also. It just would not connect and let me see my files on it. I put it on my plane just now and same thing I have to put the card in somthing else to view the movie on the sd card.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I have to turn it on to connect also. It just would not connect and let me see my files on it. I put it on my plane just now and same thing I have to put the card in somthing else to view the movie on the sd card.
Well gee....that's the way it's supposed to work! Turn the camera on, plug it in to your PC USB port, and it should be instantly recognized as a flash drive so you can access the files on the card. If you don't turn it on, it just goes into charge mode.

This is in the poorly written instructions that come with the camera, AND in the better written instructions in the FAQs page (post #3)!
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
I let it charge up a bit and it connects just fine.. Its weird. It only likes to connect when it has a nearly full charge. I have the no timestamp and the no file segmenting flash updates on it. It records perfect and does everything fine except the connecting issue when I want to check out the footage.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
I let it charge up a bit and it connects just fine.. Its weird. It only likes to connect when it has a nearly full charge. I have the no timestamp and the no file segmenting flash updates on it. It records perfect and does everything fine except the connecting issue when I want to check out the footage.
Assuming you are turning on the camra first as is required, It should connect just fine even with a dead battery, because it is getting power from the PC USB port... or SHOULD be. And that leads me to believe your USB cable or plugs have an intermittant connection. Try a different cable and/or different USB port for starters, and if still flakey, wiggle the plug in the camera... the problem could be there as well.

Bad USB cables that come with these cheap cameras have been reported many times.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:12 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Assuming you are turning on the camra first as is required, It should connect just fine even with a dead battery, because it is getting power from the PC USB port... or SHOULD be. And that leads me to believe your USB cable or plugs have an intermittant connection. Try a different cable and/or different USB port for starters, and if still flakey, wiggle the plug in the camera... the problem could be there as well.

Bad USB cables that come with these cheap cameras have been reported many times.
I'm going to throw in something here that I have been keeping quite about. It may help Spakack or someone else, maybe.

The last camera I got I put a quick 10 minute charge on it to test. I took it off charge, took a 10 second test clip and nothing! I thought the odds had caught up with me and I had a dead camera.

Anyway, I went to take the card out and get ready to write an e-mail to my vendor and I pushed the card in with my fingernail to remove it and there was a small "pop" and the card moved a smidge.

That made me wonder so I hooked it back to the computer and it worked great.

The card must have been cocked or something was holding it slightly askew and preventing the card from being read although it seemed to have recorded OK.

It has worked prefectly since.

Maybe this could help someone.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:09 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Guy's I need a date stamp removal for real dummies... I have tried three times and I still have the date stamp.. I put a formated card in the a card holder and then into the computer reader open up the cards file,, drag the date off file into the cards folder, than stick the card into the camera and it comes on like normal very fast.. I then remove that card and install another card and take a short video and then down load it and the date is still there.. Is there a part of the putting it on the file on the card that I'm not doing right??
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:15 AM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Guy's I need a date stamp removal for real dummies... I have tried three times and I still have the date stamp.. I put a formated card in the a card holder and then into the computer reader open up the cards file,, drag the date off file into the cards folder, than stick the card into the camera and it comes on like normal very fast.. I then remove that card and install another card and take a short video and then down load it and the date is still there.. Is there a part of the putting it on the file on the card that I'm not doing right??
The date off file is contained in a zip archive - you have to extract it first. Also, you have to copy the file itself, not the "date off" folder. Finally, the card needs to be formatted in such a way that the camera can read from it. So:

1: Format the SD card to FAT32. You can right click format in windows (be sure to check quick format if you don't want to wait 20 mins) or download a program mentioned pretty early on in this thread.
2: Open the archive. Navigate to the "date off" folder and extract the file named "FW96630A.bin" to the base of the SD card. This shouldn't be in any folder like "DCIM", just at the base of the card.
3: Insert the card into the camera and power it on.

If it doesn't work, it is possible you may not have a #11 HD camera.
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
NICE! I'll now change my FAQ link to just go to your post... it covers ALL the bases extremely well. Thanks for taking the time to put it together!

<EDIT>
I actually linked two of the FAQs to your post. One had also asked how long it takes to charge the battery. I didn't see that in your post, so maybe you can add a sentence on the charge time from fully discharged to fully charged? I never really timed it, but it's close to an hour, I think. <EDIT>
Good point. I'll add this as soon as I have the information, but first I've got to discharge the batteries! I don't yet have any rechargeable AAAs, but I'll also add this information when I have it. I think the LIPO backups will take a lot longer than an hour to charge, but I may be wrong. Maybe I'll add the size measures too... People want so much information...

I have also been asked if battery boxes with only 3 AAAs will work. The answer is NO, unless there is some sort of step-up electronics in the box. The battery must be able to supply at least 5V constant voltage. 3 AAA / AA will supply at most 4.5V, which is not enough.

And thank you very much for linking me, Tom.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:35 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Hi guys !

I read all the topic , but i could not come to a conclusion regarding the camera still mode . I'm interested in a camera that can take a clear picture of a page (A4 or A5 sheet page) from a 0.3-0.5 meters distance ( 1-2 feet) , so i can use an OCR software to digitalize content .
I use for that the camera from LG optimus one phone , which even at 1280/960 does a very good job because it has a rather good autofocus .
Is this HD Key Cam what i'm looking for ? Is someone provide me with a picture taken in conditions described above so i can see if camera is good enough ? Are there other discrete alternatives to this HD key camera ?

Many thanks and sorry for my bad english
colonelu81 is offline Find More Posts by colonelu81
Last edited by colonelu81; Mar 10, 2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:53 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
I'll take a pic when I get an opportunity, but I doubt they would suit your purpose really. The fixed focus is set for mid way between reasonably near and infinity, so not particularly good at say 18 inches. Plus , there's no viewfinder so you can't frame the shot.
You can of course refocus them though? (Details in this thread.)
If you look at my review and test video here at the end (about 5m 26s) you can see the cat is out of focus at that kind of distance. (Pause (or is it paws?) at 5m 26s or 5m 27s?)

P.S. Are you a spy or going to steal some documents for Wikileaks

HD720p mini DV 808 key chain camera - Instructions, review and test video (5 min 53 sec)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Last edited by bobflyman; Mar 10, 2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Hahaha

No , i have an e-commerce bookstore and due to google algorithm against duplicate content I do not use the product manufacture description . Instead i use the preface from each book . For those book on stock i just scan them . For those not on stock i have to go to libraries/bookstores and take photos . I prefer to be discrete .
colonelu81 is offline Find More Posts by colonelu81
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:18 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorns View Post
The date off file is contained in a zip archive - you have to extract it first. Also, you have to copy the file itself, not the "date off" folder. Finally, the card needs to be formatted in such a way that the camera can read from it. So:

1: Format the SD card to FAT32. You can right click format in windows (be sure to check quick format if you don't want to wait 20 mins) or download a program mentioned pretty early on in this thread.
2: Open the archive. Navigate to the "date off" folder and extract the file named "FW96630A.bin" to the base of the SD card. This shouldn't be in any folder like "DCIM", just at the base of the card.
3: Insert the card into the camera and power it on.

If it doesn't work, it is possible you may not have a #11 HD camera.
Thank you got it... I was coping the folder and not the file... Thanks again..
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:24 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelu81 View Post
Hahaha

No , i have an e-commerce bookstore and due to google algorithm against duplicate content I do not use the product manufacture description . Instead i use the preface from each book . For those book on stock i just scan them . For those not on stock i have to go to libraries/bookstores and take photos . I prefer to be discrete .
I was playing around with this today.. Not really what you are looking for but I think it might be helpful for me sometimes..

#11 with 2X eye loupe.wmv (1 min 9 sec)
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
I was playing around with this today.. Not really what you are looking for but I think it might be helpful for me sometimes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtkKY9oZaqc
Awesome. This technology keeps improving.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:29 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Jelly close up

This is a jelly lens on a #3. A bit too much macro maybe

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6719
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:05 AM
Joined Feb 2011
233 Posts
This site has SanDisk 4GB class 2 cards on sale for $5 for the next few days:
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...Q4GBP36/1.html

BUT you need to enter SAD as the "Coupon or Gift Certificate Code" on the cart page to get the $5 price. Limit of 3 cards.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
This site has SanDisk 4GB class 2 cards on sale for $5 for the next few days:
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...Q4GBP36/1.html

BUT you need to enter SAD as the "Coupon or Gift Certificate Code" on the cart page to get the $5 price. Limit of 3 cards.
A MINIMUM of CL4 is recommended for this HD camera.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
A MINIMUM of CL4 is recommended for this HD camera.
True, that's the recommendation, but I no longer put much faith in the manufacturer's self-ratings. I don't have the exact numbers with me right now, but this SanDisk class 2 card turns in better random write performance than my Kingston class 4 cards, and is almost as fast for sequential writes. And actually, both work fine in my #11 cameras (at about 6.5 mbps video and .5 audio), with no dropped frames.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
True, that's the recommendation, but I no longer put much faith in the manufacturer's self-ratings. I don't have the exact numbers with me right now, but this SanDisk class 2 card turns in better random write performance than my Kingston class 4 cards, and is almost as fast for sequential writes. And actually, both work fine in my #11 cameras (at about 6.5 mbps video and .5 audio), with no dropped frames.
Thanks for the added info. I agree... class rating doesn't tell the story with the more important random write speed. Your testing confirms this CL2 works, at least with the cameras that shoot at the 7 kbps data rate. That's key info needed so folks know that this CL2 can work with at least the lower data rate version of this camera.

I doubt other brand CL2 cards would do as well. The Sandisk cards seem to have really good random write speeds across the board (i.e. their CL4 cards beat most all CL6 cards from other manufacturers).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2010
54 Posts
Wouldn't this camera be considerably less demanding of an SD card than, say, a #3? The motion JPEG codec produces huge files which have to be written to the card in real time, but MP4 produces considerably smaller files for the same recording time. There's a lot more processing required to do the compression, but the card-writing demands are considerably lower.
wayback is offline Find More Posts by wayback
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyah View Post
Hello,

Little question:
I got my #11 cam on external power, indeed i need to first set recording with internal bettery and then cinnect the power. as to be read in the faq on this site.
when i do this , it will only record one session of 20 mins. then it stops recording.
is there a way to make it stop and continue with external power ? i did remove the time stamp dunno if that is relevant...

sorry if the answer is somewhere in this 138 post's :P I didnt find it.
Look again. The clue is in the title of this thread!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayback View Post
Wouldn't this camera be considerably less demanding of an SD card than, say, a #3? The motion JPEG codec produces huge files which have to be written to the card in real time, but MP4 produces considerably smaller files for the same recording time. There's a lot more processing required to do the compression, but the card-writing demands are considerably lower.
Yes - sort of - there is a balance going on in compressing the video, and writing it to 'disk'. A fast card can help a slow processor get the job done, just as a fast processor can let a slow card get it done as well.
It seems the #3 has a slow processor, so you must use a fast card to give the poor wee beastie half a chance. For this baby, we seem to have power to spare, so using a slow(ish) card is ok.
Mike
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayback View Post
True in part, the MJPEG compression is a lot less than H.264, but the HD frame size pixel count is 2.67 times larger, so more data has to be compressed.

My #3 808 video has an average data rate of about 8300 kbps with just under 31 fps based on 4 videos I just checked. My #11 HD averages about 7000 kbs at 30 fps, but some will record at 10,000 kbps at 30 fps. So one HD version writes at a slightly slower data rate, but the other version writes at a considerably faster rate.

The bigger difference is the processor speed... #3 always drops frames and the #11 does not, even though it has to do more work compressing its video.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:05 AM
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Hi,

anyone got this problem on #11 ? the date that should be on the lower right side of the screen have moved near the center of the screen. the video also are a bit stretched horizontally.

kimber78 is offline Find More Posts by kimber78
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber78 View Post
Hi,

anyone got this problem on #11 ? the date that should be on the lower right side of the screen have moved near the center of the screen. the video also are a bit stretched horizontally.
I've never seen this before. Was it very cold when you made the video?
To me, it looks like a hardware problem, but there are other things to try first.

1. Totally discharge, or disconnect, the battery - until the date goes back to 2009 - this is important. Then recharge and test.

2. Put on the "date off" firmware, make a few tests and then put back the "date on" firmware.

If the above two tests fail, then I would think that a component, maybe a capacitor, is malfunctioning.

If you feel brave enough, I would open up the camera (2 screws and slide open) and check that the two crystals are not shorting something. Also check that everything else "looks" ok with a magnifying glass.

FWIW, as promised, I've updated some of the external battery charging times and sizes here.
Last edited by Isoprop; Mar 12, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber78 View Post
Hi,

Did you buy the camera from one of the vendors on post#2 in this forum? If so, I'd ask for a replacement?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Hi Guys

While I'm waiting to receive my #11 Keychain camera, look at the amazing videos (flying a 4ch Dynam Hawk Sky) that I've done last week using the #3 model:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Shyckobsb

Although the #11 is the top one in image quality, I think that #3, costing 1/4 of the price, is also an excellent choice to film rc flights.

Shycko is offline Find More Posts by Shycko
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:44 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,891 Posts
Hi Shycko. Welcome to RCG.

Quote:
Although the #11 is the top one in image quality, I think that #3, costing 1/4 of the price, is also an excellent choice to film rc flights.
That's very true... that's why there is a huge thread where we talk about the #3.

The MEGA Keyfob Camera thread

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:01 AM
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Hi Shycko. Welcome to RCG.
Thanks, KC.

Although I'm registered here since 2009, so far I was just reading the posts. As now I decided to really starting flying, you shall see my participation here more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
That's very true... that's why there is a huge thread where we talk about the #3.
The MEGA Keyfob Camera thread
Thanks a lot for the TIP, KC. I'll post my videos and impressions about the #3 there, too.

Hope my #11 is delivered soon. It will certainly be a big improvement to my flight scenes.

Shycko is offline Find More Posts by Shycko
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
is there some sort of hack or software mod that will allow an 808 to operate like the D011 "flight recorder" as chucklohr coined it? i am very interested in having HD recording, automatic recycling of the oldest files, and instantaneous recording when DC is applied

thanks
rp_guy is offline Find More Posts by rp_guy
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp_guy View Post
is there some sort of hack or software mod that will allow an 808 to operate like the D011 "flight recorder" as chucklohr coined it? i am very interested in having HD recording, automatic recycling of the oldest files, and instantaneous recording when DC is applied

thanks
Nope!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:04 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
did a lil flying to day.....
Wing Dragon 4 808 hd key fob cam on board 3-13-2011 (9 min 11 sec)
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:29 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR_66 View Post
did a lil flying to day.....
Er - intersting sound track... & man was the air rough
Mike
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:42 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Er - intersting sound track... & man was the air rough
Mike
lil gusty 8mph with 20 gusts
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:34 AM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,010 Posts
Forgive me if this was mentioned somewhere, but I didn't see it... what is the average battery life for recording video?
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyepro View Post
Forgive me if this was mentioned somewhere, but I didn't see it... what is the average battery life for recording video?
Yes, this has already been mentioned quite a few times. I have also added it to my post here.
Expect about 40 minutes from a new, fully charged battery. Since you can't turn the battery off, the battery will always drain in order to keep the clock running. I don't know how long it will take to completely drain the battery, maybe a month or so?
It is best to use the 4GB Stop/Save/Continue firmware instead of the 20 min. Stop/Save/Continue Firmware. With the latter, it is most likely that you will lose the last, partial, 20 minute clip. The 4GB Stop/Save/Continue firmware only exists without the timestamp.

Both of my cameras now only give about 37+- minutes recording, and I haven't used them that much...
Last edited by Isoprop; Mar 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
This Kodak mini HD cam is on 24h sale. For anyone that can carry a payload of 2oz, could be an option

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...&msid=14566281
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
I couldn't leave well enough alone so I installed the Continuous Record firmware file.. then took a short movie and camera was working as normal.. I then tried using it as a web cam and it would not turn on.. So tried to take a movie again and camera will not turn on.. Looks like I bricked it??

I kept playing with it and now it's working fine again.....
Last edited by livonia bob; Mar 14, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't leave well enough alone so I installed the Continuous Record firmware file.. then took a short movie and camera was working as normal.. I then tried using it as a web cam and it would not turn on.. So tried to take a movie again and camera will not turn on.. Looks like I bricked it??

I kept playing with it and now it's working fine again.....
That doesn't surprise me at all. The first time is very, very risky, but after the initial update you shouldn't have any more problems. Always use a fully charged battery and wait at least 12 seconds after you turn on after updating the firmware.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
If you are asking what is the battery life per charge -- I get about 50 minutes. If you are asking the total life of the battery, I don't know. I probably have about 50 to 75 charges on one of my #3 cams, and I still get 50 minutes per charge.

[edit] Oops, I posted in the wrong thread. My comment is in regards to the #3 - sorry [edit]
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Last edited by zrobbie; Mar 14, 2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Posted in incorrect thread
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
If you are asking what is the battery life per charge -- I get about 50 minutes. If you are asking the total life of the battery, I don't know. I probably have about 50 to 75 charges on one of my #3 cams, and I still get 50 minutes per charge.
I got about 45 min. total on my stock battery, but it has already gone to 1/2 normal capacity after maybe a dozen or two charge cycles! Replacement battery on the way. I'm pretty sure I got a bad cell originally.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
You did look in the first three posts like the thread title says, right? The answer is in the linked battery questions in post #3.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,010 Posts
Quote:
You did look in the first three posts like the thread title says, right? The answer is in the linked battery questions in post #3.
Sorry, my eyes must have glazed over that one.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Well... to be honest... I cheated! I just added your specific question in one of the existing battery question links before I posted!

The answer to your question was already answered, though, in that same link about extending battery life. But now it will be more easily found.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:20 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Actually Tom is a Real Nice Guy, putting a huge amount of time, effort and knowledge into keeping us all following the True Path - allow him his little joke 'cos two or three times a week people pop-up with FAQs, not having bothered to read the 'Index' & that gets wearing to us all.
Mike
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:06 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
rcmodelreviews

The 808HD has found it's way to RCmodelreviews. The guy there does a lot of Hobby King reviews, so I follow it. He's in New Zealand.

The video shows considerable hunting for color balance when the nose bobs above and below the horizon

FPV flight with the 720p HD keychain camera (7 min 11 sec)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:18 AM
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Joined Dec 2007
374 Posts
Hi All-

I need a nonworking (or working) keychain camera version #7 (or earlier will work I think). I'm hoping someone here has upgraded to the new #11 camera here and has one to sell cheap.

I've got one with a bad lens and hoping not to have to order a whole new replacement from hobbyking.

In looking at this thread and thinking to upgrade, where is currently the best place to buy the #11?

Thanks- Shag
shagrug is offline Find More Posts by shagrug
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:09 AM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
The 808HD has found it's way to RCmodelreviews. The guy there does a lot of Hobby King reviews, so I follow it. He's in New Zealand.

The video shows considerable hunting for color balance when the nose bobs above and below the horizon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzBGhGdrj0Y
Victapilot - I had the same problem on mine the other day when shooting in bright sunlight. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Now, going to post # 3 to look. ;-) Will see if I can get a video sample to show. Is pretty bad actually.
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Last edited by Kenpilot; Mar 15, 2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:22 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
Thank you Tom for this thread, I've been reading it for a while now and it's provided alot of great info on the camera. I should be getting mine any day now.
Quote:

I wonder if it would be possible to get a firmware which would set the color balance to, say, sunlight since most people seem to be using it outside anyway. I'd imagine editing the firmware that way wouldn't be a big problem for the manufacturers (just change one value somewhere?). Even better of course would be a firmware that could read a text file with the color balance info from the memory card.

Hope I get mine soon so I can start making videos.
k1t3r is offline Find More Posts by k1t3r
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1t3r View Post
Thank you Tom for this thread, I've been reading it for a while now and it's provided alot of great info on the camera. I should be getting mine any day now.

I wonder if it would be possible to get a firmware which would set the color balance to, say, sunlight since most people seem to be using it outside anyway. I'd imagine editing the firmware that way wouldn't be a big problem for the manufacturers (just change one value somewhere?). Even better of course would be a firmware that could read a text file with the color balance info from the memory card.

Hope I get mine soon so I can start making videos.
I think this is truly wishful thinking. We should be happy that there is at least a "no timestamp" and a 4GB S/S/C firmware version. For such a cheap camera, I doubt it very much if the manufacturer would ever consider all the modifications that people want. Just the fact that there are already 3 firmware versions for this camera proves that the manufacturer never really thought about all the possibilities. It is understandable that the manufacturer wants to make money and not indulge in a never-ending project. For the price, they have done an excellent job.
For my part, I would prefer it if the color hunting problem could be solved, and I want this #11 keychain in a GumPack body, others would like a 60fps, others 24fps, others 1fps. There is just no end to the possibilities. I am sure that making almost everyone happy is possible, but the time and effort involved is just too great.

A lot of people underestimate the programming effort. Whereas there could be only a few lines of code to modify, it could also involve days or weeks of work. A lot is dependant on how the original programmer implemented the code. For example, if you compare the three firmware versions for this camera in a hex editor you will notice that hundreds of bytes are different, scattered throughout the file, and this is not because of a different "relative jump" or a different memory address or code (memory) shifting. This implies completely different programming routines (code). Why is this? What is the difference if you show the timestamp or not? Omit the call to "show the date" - wouldn't that be easy? - no it isn't.

Maybe if someone were to order 10 thousand pieces the manufacturer would implement ONE other function. There is, of course, no harm in asking...
Last edited by Isoprop; Mar 15, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:59 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
For my part, I would prefer it if the color hunting problem could be solved
The other SD versions of the cam do color hunt too. There is probably a simplistic shutter speed adjustment from low light to bright light. I get a slight improvement with a polarizing filter, maybe because it holds the low light setting longer, don't know. Otherwise I edit it out.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Nope!
thanks..

hopefully more support/variations are added later on.. this is definitely the beginning of cheap HD spy cams.. i'll be waiting until the functionality i need is there though!
rp_guy is offline Find More Posts by rp_guy
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:19 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,712 Posts
Quote:
So far, eight eBay stores (linked by some business arrangement) have been identified selling the REAL HD key cam. The first four stores have supplied most of the cameras bought by users who have posted here, and based on user feedback, all four have provided good service and stand by their product if any problems come up that are not caused by user abuse, crash damage, etc. I bought my camera from the first one, hxelepro360, and can personally recommend this store based on the excellent, speedy service and support both before and after my purchase.

hxelepro360

power-gps

eletoponline365

internet-shop365

Other stores with less user feedback:

digitalele889

powerdigital898

beetleonline

eletech086

The key differences of this camera compared to the old low res "808" version will normally be highlighted in the eBay ad. Look for the frame size and frame rate to be 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps, the H.264 video codec, and/or the .MOV file format. The detailed specification that frequently accompany the add banner may also have these details. Some sample eBay ads and specs for this camera are attached below.

This new HD version is vastly different internally from the old low res version. Internal pictures are attached below, and the CMOS sensor data sheet is available here.
Thank you for taking the time to post the helpful information. I placed an order on eBay from hxelepro360 today. Deliver date between April 1-14. I have a version #3 and a version #7 as well as the FlyCamone2. Dissapointing performance with #7, video shuts off ranging between 48sec to 1min50sec? FlyCamone2 is another story as far as dissapointing. And the #3 will record 35+mins and works GREAT! I'm sure it's posted somewhere & I over looked it, are you able to use a 2G micro SD like the other versions with #11? Or do you have to use a 4G or higher micro SD memory card?
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
The Color Hunting Problem

Since there have been several new posts about the color hunting, I'll add one of my own.

I believe that there is only so much that can be done by "MyCameraGals" via their tech support folks. They have been very accomodating to this point, especially since they are just eBay sellers, and I am hesitant to suggest more firmware mods now that they have addressed two of the major concerns (continuous recording and date stamp removal). Of course, anyone can feel free to ask for anything they want... just email the key vendor contact I linked in the early posts (power-gps).

In the editing link I mention that there are now two versions of the #11, with the newer ones having a different CMOS assembly. And my visual conclusions (not measured) are that this newer module seems to have much less noticeable color hunting than my first camera with the original module. It also has lower sensitivity and more video noise in low light conditions! These two may go hand-in-hand with the inexpensive CMOS modules in this camera... i.e. when better adjusted for the bright light conditions, you lose on the low light end. You can tell which CMOS module you have in your camera by looking at the ribbon cable... see the link in post #3. And I was told all the cameras will have this newer CMOS module eventually, but some of the originals may still be in stock and are still being sold. The one used in the recently posted review video appeared to be one of the earlier ones to my eye.

Also, the CMOS module likely has it's own controller chip (see the data sheet I linked on the original CMOS back in post #2), and some of its adjustable functions appear to have "Ron Popeil... set it and forget it" functionality... i.e. it's burned into ROM... you can toggle a function once only during initial programming, then it's forever set. The color hunting we see is very likely burned into the CMOS controller chip.

Finally, I think all the firmware changes that have been done specifically for us affect the large video processor chip on the main circuit board, NOT the controller chip in the CMOS module. So it may be impossible to do any tweaking of the color balance issue once the camera is assembled. I'm doing some educated guessing on some of this, but I think we are fortunate to have gotten to where we are.

Finally, in my Post #3 editing link discussion of the AviDemux editor, I describe how reducing the color saturation and contrast of the native video not only decreases the visual impact of the color hunting, it also diminishes the apparent darkening in the corners of the video and increases the detail in darker shadow areas. And adding some sharpness to the final output make a much nicer final video to my eye... YMMV.

I know many (most?) user don't want to spend time doing post editing though, so will have to be happy with what we have until something better comes along. And I think it eventually will!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
... I'm sure it's posted somewhere & I over looked it, are you able to use a 2G micro SD like the other versions with #11? Or do you have to use a 4G or higher micro SD memory card?
Yes, you did miss it when you read the first three posts... this is answered in the FAQ links in post #3.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 15, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Closed Thread