Closed Thread
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster View Post
Prof100-

Yes...that is exactly the way it came from vendor...Once you installed the no time.bin restart cam and wait for light to appear...delete the no time.bin file from cam folder and restart cam again...date should be gone...
OK, but I have shot videos with it after that attempt. Do I need to restart from the beginning or simply delete the no time.bin file. Should I remove it with a card reader or with the camera connected and read it with the camera on?

I am nervous about bricking the camera.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Just delete the file and restart cam...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:01 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
I can confirm that it works per finster's instructions.

Prof100, make sure to remove the file before you use the camera. after removing file unplug from usb and wait for light to go off then turn on camera and take a video(timestamp should be gone)
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:08 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
As far as I know there are no other versions of this cam
Both sources (who represent all four know vendors) confirmed to me that some of the very early cameras shipped had different firmware which can not be updated with this method. The cameras are physically identical, but with different firmware now because users wanted the ability to remove the date stamp.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:09 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Just delete the file and restart cam...
I did delete the installed bin file, restarted and it still has the date stamp.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
I can confirm that it works per finster's instructions.

Prof100, make sure to remove the file before you use the camera. after removing file unplug from usb and wait for light to go off then turn on camera and take a video(timestamp should be gone)
I did it just as you describe making sure I unplugge it and waited for the light to go off. I turned it on a took a video. No luck, I still have the time stamp.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:24 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Prof100-

Being you didnt delete the file after install you might want to start over from begining...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:32 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
finster, I have added to your instructions. It took me three times to get it to work. I think this will help.

Remove Date/Time Instructions:

Use at own risk!!! Follow steps below.

#1 Turn on camera, plug in USB.

#2 Open the camera folder and place the FW96630A NO TIME.bin file next to the DCIM folder (root of camera)
Important Note: ((Do not rename or modify the .bin files))

#3 Unplug the USB and wait for the light to go off on its own.

#4 Turn on camera and wait for the light to appear (takes few seconds)

#5 Plug in USB

#6 Open the camera folder again but this time delete the file FW96630A.bin from the folder. Make sure to delete the file or the cam will keep installing the .bin file each time the cam powers up.

#7 Unplug the USB and wait for the light to go off on its own.

#8 Test your cam to see if Time/Date is gone.

First attempt
At #5 I removed the SD card and used the adapter to remove the .bin file. Returned SD card to cam and this did not work.
Second attempt
At #7 I unplugged the usb and immediately began pushing the button to record video. This did not work.

So #5 to help those who over think things, and #7 for those who are impatient.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I did it just as you describe making sure I unplugge it and waited for the light to go off. I turned it on a took a video. No luck, I still have the time stamp.
There really isn't anything special about the process. If the card is in the camera with the firmware file on it, it will try to load it every time the camera is turned on. That's why the instruction to delete it after the first time you turn on the camera with it on the card.

Does the normal LED light come on as fast it in would normally do, or is there a slight delay when you turn on the camera with the file on the card? If no delay, the firmware is not loading into the camera and is being ignored. This could be a good thing!

I was told by those sources identified who are selling the cameras, that there was at least another earlier version that can not load the firmware. Who knows if there were more than one? Maybe the firmware files with the longer names only install on some earlier version, different from yours, and still different from what is being shipped today.

I guess you've tried the procedure more than once with the longer named files, and they don't work with your camera. And we know at least one camera was bricked with this process using the shorter named files. Is yours one of the ones that will work with those, or one that will brick? There is no way to tell other than by trial and (potentially $40) error.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There really isn't anything special about the process. If the card is in the camera with the firmware file on it, it will try to load it every time the camera is turned on. That's why the instruction to delete it after the first time you turn on the camera with it on the card.

Does the normal LED light come on as fast it in would normally do, or is there a slight delay when you turn on the camera with the file on the card? If no delay, the firmware is not loading into the camera and is being ignored. This could be a good thing!

I was told by those sources identified who are selling the cameras, that there was at least another earlier version that can not load the firmware. Who knows if there were more than one? Maybe the firmware files with the longer names only install on some earlier version, different from yours, and still different from what is being shipped today.

I guess you've tried the procedure more than once with the longer named files, and they don't work with your camera. And we know at least one camera was bricked with this process using the shorter named files. Is yours one of the ones that will work with those, or one that will brick? There is no way to tell other than by trial and (potentially $40) error.
I just tried the whole process again. When I get to step to delete the file the only file is FW96630A NO TIME.bin file. There is NO FWD96630A.bin file.

There is no delay when turning it on again so the camera is ignoring the no time bin file.

Mine was ordered on December 19th from electo...

I used to real manufacturing where you have batch and lot control. I am picturing a tub of these cameras somewhere in China and versions are mixed into the tub and sent out as orders come in. I picture something like this is where we get our cameras:
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 31, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:58 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
I just tried the whole process again. When I get to step to delete the file the only file is FW96630A NO TIME.bin file. There is NO FWD96630A.bin file.

There is no delay when turning it on again so the camera is ignoring the no time bin file.

I used to real manufacturing where you have batch and lot control. I am picturing a tub of these cameras somewhere in China and versions are mixed into the tub and sent out as orders come in.
the same file that you loaded is the file (FW96630A NO TIME.bin file) that you are to delete. i ordered mine on the 20th from the same.
Last edited by lostheli; Dec 31, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
the same file that you loaded is the file that you are to delete. i ordered mine on the 20th from the same.
I will try it one more time, but suspect it's just a version issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
lostheli-

ok...I though people would know to use usb when I said "plug in usb" at top...your rite...I will add that...

Prof-

delete the no time.bin and restart cam..
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
I tried again and it still has the stamp. There was NO delay when I turned the camera on after installing the NO TIME bin file.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:

I used to real manufacturing where you have batch and lot control. I am picturing a tub of these cameras somewhere in China and versions are mixed into the tub and sent out as orders come in.
You still have to delete the "FW96630A No Time.bin file" or it will try to reload every time you turn on the camera. The instructions refer to the "FW96630A.bin" file because that's what they are now named, and since you didn't copy one with that name to your memory card, there is none to delete afterwards.

When clx1 and I were trying to clarify the install instructions, we got a couple iterations from his vendor with a couple revisions as we went. I think you got the latest instructions with old file names.

FWIW, I sent the link to this thread to one of the sources (to the vendor I bought mine from), and got a reply back from the other source, thanking me for mentioning all 4 stores of his company! I don't think the vendors make much difference in which camera model is sent now... maybe they did earlier when the camer firmware was being revamped.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
You still have to delete the "FW96630A No Time.bin file" or it will try to reload every time you turn on the camera. The instructions refer to the "FW96630A.bin" file because that's what they are now named, and since you didn't copy one with that name to your memory card, there is none to delete afterwards.

When clx1 and I were trying to clarify the install instructions, we got a couple iterations from his vendor with a couple revisions as we went. I think you got the latest instructions with old file names.

FWIW, I sent the link to this thread to one of the sources (to the vendor I bought mine from), and got a reply back from the other source, thanking me for mentioning all 4 stores of his company! I don't think the vendors make much difference in which camera model is sent now... maybe they did earlier when the camer firmware was being revamped.
The last four times I have deleted the highlighted in bold above file. Still no luck. Go figure. Does Windows 7 have some goofy protections to prevent deleting firmware files? I am still a newbie with W7 and keep getting surprised by all the protections in place to prevent me from using my computer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:13 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
I will try it one more time, but suspect it's just a version issue.
Try to give 5 seconds between each step or at least after step #3. I hope you get it to work.

Also, I did not use the file from finster, I used the file sent to me from the vendor which is labeled only FW96630A.bin and is 1,082,445 bytes.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Try to give 5 seconds between each step or at least after step #3. I hope you get it to work.

Also, I did not use the file from finster, I used the file sent to me from the vendor which is labeled only FW96630A.bin and is 1,082,445 bytes.

Hmmm, Finsters file is 1052 kb. Maybe I should try yours.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:

And I'll bet a fine dinner that is the exact same file I have (same file size and name), which is IDENTICAL (byte-for-byte) to the file finster has available for down load, except the name his file name is slightly longer.

Assuming prof100 has done the process correctly (and It sounds like he has) the only thing he MIGHT try (this is NOT ME speaking!), is to try the same procedure with the file named FW96630A.bin and see if it also doesn't load, or it loads and works, or loads and bricks his camera. And we know if can do that based on clx1's trial.

If it were me, I'd contact the seller first and see if they will do a swap or repair if I tried it and it bricked (same way clx1 did). If they wouldn't, I'd opt to save my $40 investment and crop the video to get rid of the date.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm, Finsters file is 1052 kb. Maybe I should try yours.
The file size show up differently depending on what you are usin to view it. Right click on the icon, select properties, and the look at the files size and file size on disk. The size being mentioned is the "size" shown there, not the "size on disk".
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:36 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Prof100-

My no time.bin file is also 1,082,445 bytes...so probably same files...maybe try and swap/format the sd card and start over...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
The file size show up differently depending on what you are usin to view it. Right click on the icon, select properties, and the look at the files size and file size on disk. The size being mentioned is the "size" shown there, not the "size on disk".
Tom,

Do you have the seller's email? I would rather ask him for the file and the procedure before I brick the camera.

You don't think there are any permissions prohibiting the file from executing via Windows 7?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:44 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie
Mine also has all the posts on one page. Also, when I go to the link, it doesn't go to the top of the page. It goes to the middle and I have to scroll up to get to the 'view first unread' link. Is there a way to change these two things? How did lostheli get his to split into multiple pages?

I took a screen shot of what you can edit in MyRCgroups. You set the number of posts per page and order of display.
Attached Thumbnails 62.2 KB Views: 12

I edited the MyRCgroups to show 15 posts per page, which is what the mega key fob treads shows for me, but I still get 100 posts per page. Any other ideas on how to show 15 posts per page?
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:53 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie
Mine also has all the posts on one page. Also, when I go to the link, it doesn't go to the top of the page. It goes to the middle and I have to scroll up to get to the 'view first unread' link. Is there a way to change these two things? How did lostheli get his to split into multiple pages?

I took a screen shot of what you can edit in MyRCgroups. You set the number of posts per page and order of display.
Attached Thumbnails 62.2 KB Views: 12

I edited the MyRCgroups to show 15 posts per page, which is what the mega key fob treads shows for me, but I still get 100 posts per page. Any other ideas on how to show 15 posts per page?
Close Internet Explorer and reopen it. Clear all the cookies in Tools / Option of IE. Reopen rcgroups and see if it works. If not, contact and admin.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

Do you have the seller's email? I would rather ask him for the file and the procedure before I brick the camera.

You don't think there are any permissions prohibiting the file from executing via Windows 7?

Bill
NO I don't think W7 has anything to do with this, unless you cannot delete the file from the flash card. But you said you could, so that's not it. And I can tell you I got these same files that all four vendors are providing just days ago, along with their instructions, which I converted to better English and posted in the very first part of this thread.

I don't think the problem is what is in the files, because they are all identical. It's either the different file name that is not allowing the file to be loaded on your camera, or your firmware is different.

The discussion here has seem to imply all the cameras are identical, and the vendors have told me the same things... early cameras were different from what they are now shipping.

I listed the four vendors back in post#2, so you can contact your vendor through their store messaging system. I've gotten quick replies (when they are open), but it's New Years Day there now, and probably are closed.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:03 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
NO I don't think W7 has anything to do with this, unless you cannot delete the file from the flash card. But you said you could, so that's not it. And I can tell you I got these same files that all four vendors are providing just days ago, along with their instructions, which I converted to better English and posted in the very first part of this thread.

I don't think the problem is what is in the files, because they are all identical. It's either the different file name that is not allowing the file to be loaded on your camera, or your firmware is different.

The discussion here has seem to imply all the cameras are identical, and the vendors have told me the same things... early cameras were different from what they are now shipping.

I listed the four vendors back in post#2, so you can contact your vendor through their store messaging system. I've gotten quick replies (when they are open), but it's New Years Day there now, and probably are closed.
Tom,

OK, then the next question is did Finster rename the files to make sharing them easier. That is, did he use the native files like you have and update his, then rename them for posting on his website.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:13 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Like I say before...the files are directly from vendor...unchanged and altered...you can email him and have him send the files to you but you will just get the same files I posted...It worked fine for me...you got your cam few days after me from same vendor...It might just be something you over looked...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Like I say before...the files are directly from vendor...unchanged and altered...you can email him and have him send the files to you but you will just get the same files I posted...It worked fine for me...you got your cam few days after me from same vendor...It might just be something you over looked...
I reformatted the card and followed the processes step by step. I am still with a time stamp. The delay never occurs with my camera when first turning it on after loading the file.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Close Internet Explorer and reopen it. Clear all the cookies in Tools / Option of IE. Reopen rcgroups and see if it works. If not, contact and admin.
Mine started doing that a month or so ago. I sent admin an eamil that was never responded to. I tried changing the settings from " read newest first" to "read oldest first", which worked, but changing back did not restore the latest post first... still goes about midway into the thread. I hadn't tried the cookie option, but maybe that is where the problem is. I'll give it a shot.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:44 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
I reformatted the card and followed the processes step by step. I am still with a time stamp. The delay never occurs with my camera when first turning it on after loading the file.
If you want to try my file just let me know. I think it's the same file though.

I think Tom is right about this: booting up the camera with the file on the card is the only part of the process that matters. Are you sure you are placing the file in the root directory of the card?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:51 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Mine started doing that a month or so ago. I sent admin an eamil that was never responded to. I tried changing the settings from " read newest first" to "read oldest first", which worked, but changing back did not restore the latest post first... still goes about midway into the thread. I hadn't tried the cookie option, but maybe that is where the problem is. I'll give it a shot.
Are you guys using a bookmark to access the thread?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
The last four times I have deleted the highlighted in bold above file. Still no luck. Go figure. Does Windows 7 have some goofy protections to prevent deleting firmware files? I am still a newbie with W7 and keep getting surprised by all the protections in place to prevent me from using my computer.
Are you saying you tried to delete the file, and it will not delete? Or do you mean you could delete it, but the date stamp is still there?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
I only book mark the RCG site. I get emails when new posts come to my subscribed threads, and follow the link there, but it'snot going to the latest unread post.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure you are placing the file in the root directory of the card?
Good question... we overlooked that, and that would definitely prevent the file from being found and loaded!

Prof100?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
808 #3 cameras had a max battery life 63-80 min.

What do these 808 HDs have?
gohansayian is offline Find More Posts by gohansayian
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:05 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohansayian View Post
808 #3 cameras had a max battery life 63-80 min.

What do these 808 HDs have?
250 mAh... good for about 40 minutes of HD recording.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:29 PM
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
I've got one of these on order and will be running it with USB power. I want to get a 32gb micro sd card for it and there is a big difference in prices at that capacity. Those that have the camera, may I ask what cards you've used without dropped frames etc?

Will any class 4 card do? Or does it need to be an expensive one? Anyone tried a class 2?

Thanks
Jiffy82517 is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy82517
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Are you saying you tried to delete the file, and it will not delete? Or do you mean you could delete it, but the date stamp is still there?
I delete the bin file and the time stamp is still there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:31 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
If you want to try my file just let me know. I think it's the same file though.

I think Tom is right about this: booting up the camera with the file on the card is the only part of the process that matters. Are you sure you are placing the file in the root directory of the card?
I have two entries -- DCIM and No time bin file.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy82517 View Post
I've got one of these on order and will be running it with USB power. I want to get a 32gb micro sd card for it and there is a big difference in prices at that capacity. Those that have the camera, may I ask what cards you've used without dropped frames etc?

Will any class 4 card do? Or does it need to be an expensive one? Anyone tried a class 2?

Thanks
I guess you know a class 4 is recommended by the vendors. One of the best performers in smaller cards for these key cams has been the Transcend Class 6, and I just came across this Transcend 32 GB class 10 on amazon.com for $50. Jump on it!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
I have two entries -- DCIM and No time bin file.
I sent an email to one of the main vendors about the different file names for the same firmware files that they have sent to users, and whether that makes any difference in whether it will load on a given camera. Will not hear anything back until at least Monday, I think. I'll post when I hear anything.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
I sent an email to one of the main vendors about the different file names for the same firmware files that they have sent to users, and whether that makes any difference in whether it will load on a given camera. Will not hear anything back until at least Monday, I think. I'll post when I hear anything.
Tom,

Thanks. I tried it on my XP machine as well. I still have the time stamp.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:53 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
the same file that you loaded is the file (FW96630A NO TIME.bin file) that you are to delete. i ordered mine on the 20th from the same.
Lostheli,

Can you send me the file you used via email?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Short video processed by Videopad

Here is s short outdoor, cloudy day, late in the day, video I captured today with my hatcam and then ran throush Videopad editor and saved it as an AVI file in HD format. The camera has 4 GB class 4 Kingston card in it.

backyard (1 min 35 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 01, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:19 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
I removed the time/date files files from my website cuz I dont want to create havoc...sorry your time is still there prof100...I guess it only works for me
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:25 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
I removed the time/date files files from my website cuz I dont want to create havoc...sorry your time is still there prof100...I guess it only works for me

Finster,

There is nothing to apologize for Finster. It may simply be I have some obscure version. What is telling is there is no delay as you and Tom describe. My camera just turns on normally. There is also possibility my security software may be blocking executing .bin files to protect. It blocked my slingplayer from loading even when I turned off the security software until I talked with a support rep in Malaysia (call forwarding) to solve the problem by setting up exceptions and paths to allow two way communication. I have tried disabling but who knows what schemes it may have embedded in files to prevent execution.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:03 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,166 Posts
You guys are going too fast. I cant catch up.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:08 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
Just got mine today. I didn't have time to fly, but I did take some shots of some stuff. The BIN trick to turn off the date/time stamp worked great for me.

#11 808 Keychain Camera Test (1 min 6 sec)
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:13 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
I go to the REAL HD Key Cam Thread from the main rcgroups page. Then I drag the icon in the url bar into the Links bar and use that link to access the thread. Now I can go to the first post. I did that by deleting the link from the link bar. Then before saving the link, make sure I'm at the very top of the thread before bookmarking. So now when I click on the icon in the links bar, it goes to the first thread where the 'view first unread' link is right there to click on. I still have 100 posts per page, even though 'myrcgroups' is set to 15 posts per page. Haven't tried deleting cookies yet.

[edit] Deleted cookies, still can't get 15 posts per page.
Last edited by zrobbie; Jan 01, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:36 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
I go to the REAL HD Key Cam Thread from the main rcgroups page. Then I drag the icon in the url bar into the Links bar and use that link to access the thread. Now I can go to the first post. I did that by deleting the link from the link bar. Then before saving the link, make sure I'm at the very top of the thread before bookmarking. So now when I click on the icon in the links bar, it goes to the first thread where the 'view first unread' link is right there to click on. I still have 100 posts per page, even though 'myrcgroups' is set to 15 posts per page. Haven't tried deleting cookies yet.

[edit] Deleted cookies, still can't get 15 posts per page.
Try this: At the top of the page right below the red Hobby Lobby search box there are some links- RC Groups > Aircraft-General > Aerial Photography - Click on aerial photography and then find the real hd key cam thread and access the thread, if it shows multiple pages, then make your bookmark from there. This is what worked for me but I didn't make any changes to my account settings, they are still at default, as far as I know.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:53 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Lostheli,

Can you send me the file you used via email?

Bill
I uploaded it here. The vendor did not send me a file for reinstating the date and time.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:46 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,123 Posts
so what are yall using as an editor? I bought a webbie a while back which uses a .mov file and it's no fun to edit. basically just trim. I even had a full version of quicktime. Nothing like MS MM for avi files. That one is just to easy.
robj is online now Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:51 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
so what are yall using as an editor? I bought a webbie a while back which uses a .mov file and it's no fun to edit. basically just trim. I even had a full version of quicktime. Nothing like MS MM for avi files. That one is just to easy.
I am using Video Pad editor. It's $40 but the easiest friggin software to use and it saves your files in HD format. You can try it for free for 14 days and they will over it to you for $39.95. After 14 days the price goes up to $56. However, the pricing may be higher since it is no longer December. It's really an easy to use program AND it saves the MOV files in AVI at 30 fps and full HD format.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:53 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Success

Finster PM'd me and resent the no time file and add time file in their native file names. Apparently the name change was the problem.

I am now date and time free.

Thanks Finster.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 01, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:33 AM
SLO Flyer
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Dec 2003
98 Posts
Tom, does not the 808HD take microSD-sized memory? The 32GB Transcend (Class 10) you linked to is a full-sized SD card. (nicely priced, though!)

Something like this should work: 32GB microSD microSDHC Memory Card (Class 4)

(Class 4, which is sufficient for this cam. The Class 6 and 10 microSD cost even more, 'specially in the microSD size.)

Jaybee

Quote:
I guess you know a class 4 is recommended by the vendors. One of the best performers in smaller cards for these key cams has been the Transcend Class 6, and I just came across this Transcend 32 GB class 10 on amazon.com for $50. Jump on it!
Jaybee is offline Find More Posts by Jaybee
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:41 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:

Good to hear.

finster, "Important Note: ((Do not rename or modify the .bin files))"
Last edited by lostheli; Jan 01, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:26 AM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Tom, does not the 808HD take microSD-sized memory? The 32GB Transcend (Class 10) you linked to is a full-sized SD card. (nicely priced, though!)

(Class 4, which is sufficient for this cam. The Class 6 and 10 microSD cost even more, 'specially in the microSD size.)

Jaybee
Very interesting. However, the battery of the cam is barely good for 40 minutes, sometimes preempting even a complete second 20-minute recording. My standard file size for 20 minutes had been a little over 1,550MB so at the limit of the battery, I never filled even a 4GB card.

Oh yes, when the cam has used up the 250mAH, it is quite warm to the touch.

So, does someone know now to adapt a USB battery box to run the cam longer? Or is there a magic solution to the 250mAH battery to make it last longer?

clx1
clx1 is offline Find More Posts by clx1
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:51 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
I uploaded it here. The vendor did not send me a file for reinstating the date and time.
lostheli,

Thank you for doing so but while I was sleeping Finster, who also lives somewhere in my home state, was up until 3:30 AM working on the issue and he sent me a PM with a link to the on and off bin files. He tested it himself before sending to me. He didn't have to do that but I appreciate it. The bin files have NOT been renamed. I guess the trick is to NOT rename the bin files. I used the file he linked to me in the PM and I am time stamp free.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 01, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:11 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Try this: At the top of the page right below the red Hobby Lobby search box there are some links- RC Groups > Aircraft-General > Aerial Photography - Click on aerial photography and then find the real hd key cam thread and access the thread, if it shows multiple pages, then make your bookmark from there. This is what worked for me but I didn't make any changes to my account settings, they are still at default, as far as I know.
lostheli. thank you, that worked although I had to do it a few times to get it to stick.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:30 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
lostheli,

Thank you for doing so but while I was sleeping Finster, who also lives somewhere in my home state, was up until 3:30 AM working on the issue and he sent me a PM with a link to the on and off bin files. He tested it himself before sending to me. He didn't have to do that but I appreciate it. The bin files have NOT been renamed. I guess the trick is to NOT rename the bin files. I used the file he linked to me in the PM and I am time stamp free.

Bill
Well, at least the confusion is over. Although, I'm still confused about why it didn't work for me the first two attempts.

finster, I downloaded your new zip file, good job.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:35 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
lostheli. thank you, that worked although I had to do it a few times to get it to stick.
Good to hear. It seems that we are all getting what we want. What a great year 2011 is going to be.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:43 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Well, at least the confusion is over. Although, I'm still confused about why it didn't work for me the first two attempts.

finster, I downloaded your new zip file, good job.

I was nervous with mine because when I loaded the file and went to the step where you turn it on and there are a few seconds for it to turn on? Well mine never turned on. It tried hitting the on off button again but nothing. I figured I bricked it until I plugged it back in the USB and turned it on. Whew. All is well. No time stamp and it still worked.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:59 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Time Date

I didnt rename any of the files...they were still the same name but what happened was when I used stuffit expander to open the .rar file sent to me you have to extract them twice...the first time gives the files I posted that didnt work...then you extract them files which gives you the 2 folders with actuall bin files...I should have tested them first, my fault...both time ON and time OFF do work...sorry for brain fart guys...

BTW...it dont matter how you put the files on the card...usb...card reader...adaptor...they will all work...its no different than adding the tag.txt on the #3 cams but you just need to delete the file off card after installed...
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
I didnt rename any of the files...they were still the same name but what happened was when I used stuffit expander to open the .rar file sent to me you have to extract them twice...the first time gives the files I posted that didnt work...then you extract them files which gives you the 2 folders with actuall bin files...I should have tested them first, my fault...both time ON and time OFF do work...sorry for brain fart guys...

BTW...it dont matter how you put the files on the card...usb...card reader...adaptor...they will all work...its no different than adding the tag.txt on the #3 cams but you just need to delete the file off card after installed...
Finster,

Like I said before, no apology necessary. You burnt some midnight oil checking things out and testing. All is good! Thanks for all the work and it has help me out and others.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Windows LIVE Movie Maker (WLMM) can edit the .MOV file right off the camera. It's a free download from the MS web site, but it's intended for use with W7 OS.

I am now also using AVI-Demux editor, a free equivalent to VirtualDub, but can import the .MOV directly. Like Vdub, it cannot do fancy transitions, etc. For sheer power at a bargain price, I highly recommend MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 17 (or 17 PLUS, with slightly more feautres). But power and ease of use are somewhat mutually exclusive, so there is a learning curve.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:16 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post

Jaybee
Ugh! MY error... I should have caught that but it was late when I posted that, and with it being New Years Eve.... well... you can fill in the blanks! But this is also a good time to note that the last paragraph in the instruction sheet that has been sent with the cameras gives conflicting information:

"8. Support up to 16GB TF memory card, you'd better use the SDH$ FLISH MEMORY High-Speed Card."

The "TF" (aka microSDHC) part is correct, but the "SDH4" designation is for a Class 4 regular size SD card. And the specs in the eBay posting says they can support up to 32 GB cards, not 16GB. So which is correct? I guess if you are getting a 32GB card, please confirm for us.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 01, 2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: adde info
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx1 View Post
Very interesting. However, the battery of the cam is barely good for 40 minutes, sometimes preempting even a complete second 20-minute recording. My standard file size for 20 minutes had been a little over 1,550MB so at the limit of the battery, I never filled even a 4GB card.

Oh yes, when the cam has used up the 250mAH, it is quite warm to the touch.

So, does someone know now to adapt a USB battery box to run the cam longer? Or is there a magic solution to the 250mAH battery to make it last longer?

clx1
I asked a "source" vendor about the power cable... if the camera can both charge AND record from it. Here's the reply:

" yes, can be recording and the charge at the same time , the package is come with car charge, as the car charge is special for our HD camera. other car charge will useless。 actually, the car charge just like the power supply."

That sounds much like the charger for my JAZZ HDV178 camera... it will only charge if I use the wall wart cable that came with it, or a PC USB port. And that suggests to me the USB data lines are being utilized somehow during a charge, not just the +5V. So, just a guess at this point, but to use external power other than their car charger, you'll need to bypass the USB connection and go straight to the circuit board battery connections. This has been done successfully with the original 808key cam (details in the chucklohr.com site). BUT, the old key cam used a small lipo charging circuit on the battery to bracket the voltage for the internal lipo, and the new HD key cam appears to have a small IC on the circuit board to do this. So, some experimentation will be needed to see what can and can't be done to power the camera from an external battery source.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 01, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:36 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Finster PM'd me and resent the no time file and add time file in their native file names. Apparently the name change was the problem.

Thanks Finster.
Darn . It was sure interesting while it lasted

Glad you got it figured out.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:

Since your file (with longer names) were identical to the short named files I posted, this tells me the file names can be different (but still may need a tag identifier in it, like the "FW99630") and still work WITH SOME OF THE EARLY RELEASE CAMERAS. I'm not convinced this is true for ALL the early released cameras, so the caveat I've harped on (this will be the last time) that it is possible to brick your early release camera still applies. Here's what a "source" vendor has confirmed to me:

"Dear friend
Because this product is our research and develoed .
so the firsting product can not remove the date some of those camera can not remove the time .really sorry it takes trouble to you .If you are the firsting product hope
you do not use your camera to do .it may system halted
Really sorry it takes trouble to you ,Hope you can understand .
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
I was nervous with mine because when I loaded the file and went to the step where you turn it on and there are a few seconds for it to turn on? Well mine never turned on. It tried hitting the on off button again but nothing. I figured I bricked it until I plugged it back in the USB and turned it on. Whew. All is well. No time stamp and it still worked.

Bill
Hmmm.... this is the same behavior clx1 had with his... Yellow LED never turned back on after the firmware flash attempt. I wonder if something similar might have revived his?
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm.... this is the same behavior clx1 had with his... Yellow LED never turned back on after the firmware flash attempt. I wonder if something similar might have revived his?
I'm afraid not. I remember trying everything but handstands but nothing worked. It was a bricked as I've seen on anything electronic.
clx1 is offline Find More Posts by clx1
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx1 View Post
I'm afraid not. I remember trying everything but handstands but nothing worked. It was a bricked as I've seen on anything electronic.
That's what I thought! I suspect before all this is over, someone else with an early release camera will try the conversion and you will not be the only one.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:39 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Since your file (with longer names) were identical to the short named files I posted, this tells me the file names can be different (but still may need a tag identifier in it, like the "FW99630") and still work WITH SOME OF THE EARLY RELEASE CAMERAS.
I don't think you can have different file names. It seems the file names were inadvertently made longer and this is why it would not work. finster's new zip file has both .bin files named the same as the ones you have. Which apparently is the only way they will work.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:50 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:

Bill
I think it takes more than a couple seconds for the cam to boot up. This pretty much describes how it went for me.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
I don't think you can have different file names. It seems the file names were inadvertently made longer and this is why it would not work. finster's new zip file has both .bin files named the same as the ones you have. Which apparently is the only way they will work.
OH... OK, I misunderstood... the info in my first few posts is still correct, then.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:02 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Quote:
Since your file (with longer names) were identical to the short named files I posted, this tells me the file names can be different (but still may need a tag identifier in it, like the "FW99630") and still work WITH SOME OF THE EARLY RELEASE CAMERAS. I'm not convinced this is true for ALL the early released cameras, so the caveat I've harped on (this will be the last time) that it is possible to brick your early release camera still applies. Here's what a "source" vendor has confirmed to me:
Well tom...you've mentioned about bricking a camera each time I post about removing time/date...I understand you talk to the vendor but its like this...If you dont try you dont know...I took the chance and it works...if someone dont know what they are doing or if they had the "first version" (dont try it) But how do you know unless you try it? I dont see any indentifing marks inside to say which cam you have...does the remove date/time files you posted at begining of thread work for all cameras? how did you remove time/date from your camera?
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
I think it takes more than a couple seconds for the cam to boot up. This pretty much describes how it went for me.
The process of doing the time stamp removal is not quite a perfect, well oiled process.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Well tom...you've mentioned about bricking a camera each time I post about removing time/date...I understand you talk to the vendor but its like this...If you dont try you dont know...I took the chance and it works...if someone dont know what they are doing or if they had the "first version" (dont try it) But how do you know unless you try it? I dont see any indentifing marks inside to say which cam you have...does the remove date/time files you posted at begining of thread work for all cameras? how did you remove time/date from your camera?
You're right... you don't know until you try. I just don't want to convey that this works with ALL the HD cameras sold so far, because we know for a fact at least one has been bricked by trying it. And I posted previously that the vendors could only tell me as of the date I posted, the cameras being delivered as of that post date were guaranteed to work with the conversion program. I believe what they said... some earlier sold ones will brick trying it, and they don't even know at what point the ones with earlier firmware in them were no longer being sold.

So I think we should leave it at this. If someone bought a camera prior to my post date and doesn't mind risking turning their $40 camera into a door stop, then by all means give it a go. You and others have shown that it MIGHT work, but not that it WILL work.

If that risk is too great and someone still wants to eliminate the date stamp from their videos, the alternative is to process during editing with either a "no logo" filter (which will produce visible artifacts), or crop off the date stamp. If the full 1280x720 frame size is still desired after cropping, output the file back to the original 16:9 1280x720 frame size if desired. The effect is only a 1.125X digital zoom, and to most viewers eyes, the quality loss will be unnoticeable. All that's lost is a bit of the original picture area.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
HD keychain camera backyard shot -- sunny

My gosh I saw the sun so I ran outside and took a short clip. Here is a video with high contrast in the field of view. Sunny areas and shaded areas seem to be handled well by the little camera. The video was a direct upload to Youtube. No other processing used. A class 4 Kingston 8GB microcard was in the camera.

Backyard sunny.MOV (0 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 01, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:58 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Quote:
The same information can be displayed with Windows by right clicking on the picture icon, opening the "properties" window, then selecting the "Details" tab. No separate program needed. Move the scroll bar on the right hand side down about 1/2 way to see these details. I attached a screen clip of a pic from this camera sent to me by one of the vendors.
The individual lines in EXIF list are summary, can be expanded like this. Lots of info, might even help discern between models of 808HD, but don't count on that. It could be useful to see what software, max aperture etc..for JPEG images

Here's a link to look at EXIF on your computer or on the Web
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Jan 01, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
I wonder if this miniusb power supply can be used with this cam:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...C=SO&U=strat15
toxi is offline Find More Posts by toxi
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
" yes, can be recording and the charge at the same time , the package is come with car charge, as the car charge is special for our HD camera. other car charge will useless。 actually, the car charge just like the power supply."

That sounds much like the charger for my JAZZ HDV178 camera... it will only charge if I use the wall wart cable that came with it, or a PC USB port. And that suggests to me the USB data lines are being utilized somehow during a charge, not just the +5V. So, just a guess at this point, but to use external power other than their car charger, you'll need to bypass the USB connection and go straight to the circuit board battery connections. This has been done successfully with the original 808key cam (details in the chucklohr.com site). BUT, the old key cam used a small lipo charging circuit on the battery to bracket the voltage for the internal lipo, and the new HD key cam appears to have a small IC on the circuit board to do this. So, some experimentation will be needed to see what can and can't be done to power the camera from an external battery source.
Does that suggest that the only way to record from another source tan the battery is via the car charger? Or is there some way to operate the camera from the mains, perhaps a 5v usb charger with a regular->mini usb cable connected or one as linked in the post above? I've heard that some mp3 players also utilise the other strands to a usb cable when charging... maybe one of those would work.

If anyone can test the above it would be appreciated.

I'm probably going to buy a 32gb microsd card once I've got my camera and tested it, will report back if the 32gb card works or not.
Jiffy82517 is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy82517
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy82517 View Post
Does that suggest that the only way to record from another source tan the battery is via the car charger? Or is there some way to operate the camera from the mains, perhaps a 5v usb charger with a regular->mini usb cable connected or one as linked in the post above? I've heard that some mp3 players also utilise the other strands to a usb cable when charging... maybe one of those would work.

If anyone can test the above it would be appreciated.

I'm probably going to buy a 32gb microsd card once I've got my camera and tested it, will report back if the 32gb card works or not.
A cell phone mini USB wall wart charger will not charge my JAZZ camera, and I'm guessing the same will be true based on what the vendor said in my prior post.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 01, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:39 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Darn . It was sure interesting while it lasted

Glad you got it figured out.

Yabba

Yabba,

Yes, I, too, am glad it worked. Too bad the show is over.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:43 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Yabba,

Yes, I, too, am glad it worked. Too bad the show is over.

Bill
Yeah Bill, couldn't you have dragged it out another day or two? Lot of good folks emptying their brain out in a short period of time with a lot of good info.
Ah well. Maybe next time.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:11 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Yeah Bill, couldn't you have dragged it out another day or two? Lot of good folks emptying their brain out in a short period of time with a lot of good info.
Ah well. Maybe next time.

Gene,

Yes, it's a shame. Especially yesterday I feel sure a few of us were "celebrating" and helping out on problem made it more of challenge.

As background I was being confounded by recent changes in what I am using for a laptop. I had been using a Sony XP based 32 bit laptop that I knew quite well. That has changed. I spent too much of my holiday time setting up and learning a new HP I7 quad core 64 bit laptop I just bought. It came with Windows 7 and IE8 Explorer. So I am on a learning curve with a new operating system and to make matters worse, a new security program. With XP and the previous security program I was familiar with their quirks. Windows 7 Home Premium treats the user like a threat and by default locks the user, even as an adminstrator, out of tasks that were routine in XP. So, that had be wondering if somehow W7 or the security program was inhibiting execution of the BIN file.

Thank goodness the problem was solved.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Gene,

Yes, it's a shame. Especially yesterday I feel sure a few of us were "celebrating" and helping out on problem made it more of challenge.

As background I was being confounded by recent changes in what I am using for a laptop. I had been using a Sony XP based 32 bit laptop that I knew quite well. That has changed. I spent too much of my holiday time setting up and learning a new HP I7 quad core 64 bit laptop I just bought. It came with Windows 7 and IE8 Explorer. So I am on a learning curve with a new operating system and to make matters worse, a new security program. With XP and the previous security program I was familiar with their quirks. Windows 7 Home Premium treats the user like a threat and by default locks the user, even as an adminstrator, out of tasks that were routine in XP. So, that had be wondering if somehow W7 or the security program was inhibiting execution of the BIN file.

Thank goodness the problem was solved.

Bill
On the plus side, you can now download the Windows Live Movie Maker (part of Windows Live Essentials package), and at least you can directly import and do some reasonable editing of the .MOV files from your HD key cam. You'll find that version of MM quite different from the old XP version, too.as well.

I also bagged my purchased security software in lieu of a little known free security package from MS, called Microsoft Security Essentials. It is FAR less of a processor hog and much less intrusive to interferring with everything you do than others I've used (McAffee, Norton, etc.).
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
Quote:
Windows 7 Home Premium treats the user like a threat and by default locks the user, even as an adminstrator, out of tasks that were routine in XP.
When I bought a new laptop recently, I specifically ordered one with XP instead of W7, which I despise. I guess M$ must get their tribute by forcing PC users to move to a new OS every few years. XP support will end in 2014. Personally, I would have never left W2000 if support had continued for it.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
On the plus side, you can now download the Windows Live Movie Maker (part of Windows Live Essentials package), and at least you can directly import and do some reasonable editing of the .MOV files from your HD key cam. You'll find that version of MM quite different from the old XP version, too.as well.

I also bagged my purchased security software in lieu of a little known free security package from MS, called Microsoft Security Essentials. It is FAR less of a processor hog and much less intrusive to interferring with everything you do than others I've used (McAffee, Norton, etc.).
Tom,

I installed Windows Live Movie Maker from the start. This HP also came with Corel Video Studio X3 Pro. Both are reasonably equipped and not as convoluted as Adobe Premiere Elements I have used on my other machine.

For security software I opted to use the $2 a month F Secure that I can run on three of my home PCs simultaneously. I got tired of paying $40 per machine to renew. F Secure doesn't seem to be much of a resource hog. However, one of the updates shut me out of using my Slingplayer. I will spare you the details but it took a tech support call forwarded to Malaysia to solve that problem. Any more problems and I may look into Microsoft Security Essentials. I hate NORTON. It came pre loaded on this machine as a free trial and it stole too much of my time removing all traces of Symantec programs. How much is MS Security Essentials program?

Bill

EDIT: I see, you said it is free.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:14 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
The first thing I do when I get a new PC is clean it off and do a basic install of the OS with drivers, and my choice of software. The new ones come pre-loaded with too much advertising for the companies that want you to buy the most. It's a deal between them and the major manufacturers, and is commonplace now. Has been for a while. The one that gets me the worst is Norton's security suites. It's a HUGE resource hog and sucks and what it was designed for. The only thing it will do predictably is remind you to pay for a license if you want to keep using it...

On a similar note, I have not tried the MM that's part of Windows 7, although I've had 7 on two machines here for quite some time now! I may have to poke around and see what it's got just for fun. I personally prefer Corel Video Studio Pro and Cyberlink Power Director when I'm working with HD h.264 video. I always like trying new things though...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:18 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
The first thing I do when I get a new PC is clean it off and do a basic install of the OS with drivers, and my choice of software. The new ones come pre-loaded with too much advertising for the companies that want you to buy the most. It's a deal between them and the major manufacturers, and is commonplace now. Has been for a while. The one that gets me the worst is Norton's security suites. It's a HUGE resource hog and sucks and what it was designed for. The only thing it will do predictably is remind you to pay for a license if you want to keep using it...

On a similar note, I have not tried the MM that's part of Windows 7, although I've had 7 on two machines here for quite some time now! I may have to poke around and see what it's got just for fun. I personally prefer Corel Video Studio Pro and Cyberlink Power Director when I'm working with HD h.264 video. I always like trying new things though...
Keith,

I am with you on Norton. It's a resouce hog and license to keep giving them $40 a year. I have deleted the bloatware on this new laptop. Now I am pondering Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 freeware.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:45 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
That's what I thought! I suspect before all this is over, someone else with an early release camera will try the conversion and you will not be the only one.
I keep getting tempted but then I remember I got one of the first cameras. So, even tho I really really dislike the timestamp, I really really like my camera. So, discretion may be the better part of Valor but....it is tempting.

Yabba
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
I keep getting tempted but then I remember I got one of the first cameras. So, even tho I really really dislike the timestamp, I really really like my camera. So, discretion may be the better part of Valor but....it is tempting.

Yabba
With with free AVI_Demux editor it's possible to do a crop and expand, sharpen, etc. profile similar to the ones I developed for Vdub. Results are similar to Vdub, but your over all image is much larger, of course.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:02 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:

Yabba
pffft no guts no glory
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
With with free AVI_Demux editor it's possible to do a crop and expand, sharpen, etc. profile similar to the ones I developed for Vdub. Results are similar to Vdub, but your over all image is much larger, of course.
Tom,

Do you have a link to AVI Demux?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
88 Posts
test video hd fob cam

Well my hd keyfob cam arrived Friday. Today I took a short test video. The sky was overcast to broken.The temp was 18f and dropping.The wind was gysting to 35 mph. I shot thru two layers of glass pane. Used Video Pad Editor areal nice program. Can"t wait to put the cam in an airplane. The temp here yesterday was 60f and last week it was 20f and a foot of snow on the ground.Notice the detail of the tree branches and with low light level. I am very pleased with the cam.
FOB HD TEST #1 (0 min 40 sec)
Captn Don is offline Find More Posts by Captn Don
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Don View Post
Well my hd keyfob cam arrived Friday. Today I took a short test video. The sky was overcast to broken.The temp was 18f and dropping.The wind was gysting to 35 mph. I shot thru two layers of glass pane. Used Video Pad Editor areal nice program. Can"t wait to put the cam in an airplane. The temp here yesterday was 60f and last week it was 20f and a foot of snow on the ground.Notice the detail of the tree branches and with low light level. I am very pleased with the cam. http://www.vimeo.com/18349103
Don,

It looks good. You need to try without all the going through the glass. The house across the street looks out of focus compared to the nearby tree and branches. Aren't these little HD cams amazing?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
88 Posts
Posting

Thanks to "Tommy" for the help of posting the video. If I were still flying the Lines I would get you Right seat Tom. Respectfully captnDon
Captn Don is offline Find More Posts by Captn Don
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:18 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
pffft no guts no glory

Maybe I could get Prof100 to walk me through it

Yabba AKA Bob
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Don View Post
Thanks to "Tommy" for the help of posting the video. If I were still flying the Lines I would get you Right seat Tom. Respectfully captnDon
And I'd glad accept, Capt'n!
Closed Thread