Closed Thread
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:21 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Yabba, I don't know what output profile you select when using Freemake ("Same as Source", maybe?), but if you don't check the output bit rate, you could be drastically degrading your vids. None of the output profiles appear to set the output bit rate to match the original. In a test I did with the "auto" bit rate option, it was set to 1/2 what the native camera's video rate was! But if you click on the small blue "gear" icon under the profile name when it's selection box pops opem, you can manually set the output bit rate to be at least that of your camera's bit rate for the H.264 video codec (mine is about 6500, but I set a bit higher to 7000). Then the profile name will change to "Custom" and you can rename it to your liking and select it with a mouse click the next time. Some pics below. A pretty nice package for rotating clips, trimming unwanted portions, joining separate clips, pictures, etc. and outputting into different file formats.
Thanks Tom, I think Joe hit the jackpot on this one for those of us who aren't trying for IMAX quality.

I just clipped 2 real short sections of that last video file I got from my Cub to see if it would import into WMM and it did!

I like WMM best (you know why) and I prefer to use that if possible without too many headaches.

I looked at the settings but didn't play with them yet. I rotated and flipped just to see. It really seems like a simple program for a simple mind (me).

I will check the output bitrate before I do anything for real. Thanks for the heads up.

Yabba

Thanks for posting things like this attachment, some of us need to see things before they make sense. But next time could you draw big red circles and arrows pointing to the hilited changes
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Feb 15, 2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added Toms settings screengrab
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-56 View Post
I have tried everything under the sun, including reading posts, instructions, etc. and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to convert a .mov file (H.264) to a MPEG (or something else I can edit in WMM) using Avidemux v2.5.4.

I've used WMM in the past for simple editing so I'd like to stick with it.

Can someone help

Thanks...Dan
I have definetly been where you have been in the past, having trouble converting H264 movies, as well as others, into formats that various movie editors would accept. But there is one thing that worked real good for me, and I use it all the time.

You still use Avidemux, however you download the "huffuv lossless codec". Then just load your clip into avidemux, if it pops up with a message or two about b-frames, or rebuild, or something like that I'd generally click no.

Then when the clip is in avidemux, under the video menu select "huffuv", and under audio, select "pcm", format is avi. Then go to the file menu and select save video, and save it (making sure to add the .avi extension).

Now one thing to note, unlike most conversions where you loose a little quality in the conversion, this is a lossless conversion which means, almost no quality is lost, which is good, however it does result in massive file sizes. Probably like 20x as big as the original. For me personally its not a problem, I have a big hard drive, and good computer, and I like knowing I'm not loosing quality, and its gotten me through conversions that I couldn't figure out how to do any other way. For others on older computers it could potentially be an issue.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Thanks Yabba,

I have my Freemake set up just as Tom described. Once you do that life is easy.

If you're using WMM then you can rotate your files there and save time in the conversion(I Think).

If you look at my other post I got Avidemux to work. It is better but I plan to use it when I have a good video that I want to do the best job I can to produce.

The filters Tom has outlined here really make things pop. Give it a try also.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:18 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Tom, FYI VLC will transcode to AVI, but WMM chokes on it
'Atom' is an old term from early (OS9 W3.11 era) operating systems for what is often now called a byte-code, or an instruction code, or 'chunk' identifier.
Mike
I've tried to convert using VLC, but it whiffs most of the time with the HD key cam vids... won't even start the trans-coding, so I gave up on it.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:29 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
I have definetly been where you have been in the past, having trouble converting H264 movies, as well as others, into formats that various movie editors would accept. But there is one thing that worked real good for me, and I use it all the time.

You still use Avidemux, however you download the "huffuv lossless codec". Then just load your clip into avidemux, if it pops up with a message or two about b-frames, or rebuild, or something like that I'd generally click no.

Then when the clip is in avidemux, under the video menu select "huffuv", and under audio, select "pcm", format is avi. Then go to the file menu and select save video, and save it (making sure to add the .avi extension).

Now one thing to note, unlike most conversions where you loose a little quality in the conversion, this is a lossless conversion which means, almost no quality is lost, which is good, however it does result in massive file sizes. Probably like 20x as big as the original. For me personally its not a problem, I have a big hard drive, and good computer, and I like knowing I'm not loosing quality, and its gotten me through conversions that I couldn't figure out how to do any other way. For others on older computers it could potentially be an issue.
The process is no different than when saving with H.264 (aka MPEG-4AVC) or MJPEG or any other video codec. Only the Configuration settings are different, and these will save with files sizes similar to the original. I've outline the exact process for doing this in the FAQ links, but for some reason some find it hard to follow.

For straight and fast direct stream copy (no transcoding) from the native HD cam H.264 codec .MOV container into an H.264 .AVI file container, you can't beat the MP4cam2AVI program. It will repackage in a matter of seconds, not many, many minutes with essentially the same file size, and with ffdshow codec pack installed, should load in play in WMM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:18 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Thanks Yabba,

I have my Freemake set up just as Tom described. Once you do that life is easy.

If you're using WMM then you can rotate your files there and save time in the conversion(I Think).

If you look at my other post I got Avidemux to work. It is better but I plan to use it when I have a good video that I want to do the best job I can to produce.

The filters Tom has outlined here really make things pop. Give it a try also.

Joe
One thing I didn't mention that looks to be unique to Freemake, is that it implements "CUDA" technology. I skipped mentioning this because it only applies to those who may have a compatible NVIDIA video card. The program will detect if the video card is compatible, and if so, will off load much of the conversion calculation to the video card graphics GPU which can crunch the numbers MUCH faster than the PC CPU can. My PC has this capabiltiy, and a 20 min. HD key cam clip will convert (singlepass) to .AVI (with H.264 video codec and mp3 audio) in about 6:40 min. With CUDA turned off it increases to about about 11:10 min.

But for sheer speed, if all you want to do is re-package the HD key cam video from it's .MOV container into a compatible .AVI container with NO RE-ENCODING (and no slight quality loss), you can't beat Mp4cam2AVI which will do this in only about 12 secs (with conversion of audio to mp3)!!!!! The files can be loaded and edited in Vdub, WMM, etc. etc. AviDemux can also do direct stream copy like this, but it takes about 1:40 sec to do it and the .AVI it produces is non-standard in some way, and will load into WMM, Vdub, etc., but only gives audio, no video. Only VLC will play it.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 15, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
This has nothing to do with HD key cams but it is really cool.

It's the Top 10 high speed, low altitude passes.
http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=19448*
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Here's a video of my New Hanger 9 J-3 Cub that I bought at our club auction SuperBowl Sunday.

I didn't even open the box until Monday afternoon. Geeze, talk about an ARF. I've never had a plane go together so easily. It was truly like the joke "open the box, throw in a bottle of CA, shake and the plane comes out".

SWEET Flyer.

I put my keyfobs looking thru the front windscreen and also out the open side window.

The one in front is still unfocused (that was the reason I pointed it out thru the palstic window and the prop arc, I knew it wasn't going to be a great picure but I wanted the view).

I'll get around to fucusing it one of these days. hopefully it will focus as well as my other one and I won't brick it.

Enjoy, don't worry, I cut an 11 minute flight to about 3 1/2

Nothing done with post processing so it's pretty washed out because of the snow cover. Kind of reminded me of the TV series on Discovery "Flying Wild Alaska"

Only edited with Windows Live Movie Maker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M978ZAhzZYU

Yabba
Yabba,

Great flight, great video, what a nice flyer.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:36 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
Ken, any chance you can upload some footage somewhere so we can see what you're getting? I think "psychedelic" sounds unusual, especially indoor. Was it low-light?
Lighting was okay. I really don't know what happened. I pulled the video into Windows Live Movie Maker and all the wierd stuff disappeared. May have to do with WMP settings. Will upload it asap.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:53 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
I went ahead and ordered my #11 from one of the ebay sellers mentioned here. I have a project I was creating around a GoPro HD camera, but the quality takes second priority to weight and this will open up a whole bunch more options for me. I just wanted to stop and say thanks to everyone who posted their experiences. I hope to post back when I receive mine next month.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
I just got the following feedback from MyCameraGal on the different CMOS sensor module in my replacement camera:
"Dear friend,
Thanks for your reply, now i would l ike to tell you that the C971P and OV9712 will not impact on the function of item.
this is just a number of chip, and all of them will unitely print C971P in Future. take it easy, tell them it is does not matter.
thanks
May you a wonderful day"
This offers no details on what the differences in the CMOS chips might be, but it does seem to say the original OV9712 CMOS that we had a data sheet on will be phased out and no longer used soon (if not already).

From my causal observations, the new CMOS module has lower light sensitivity, but better (smoother) adjustment to light level changes with better white balance and less big jumps in color saturation/contrast. It would be interesting to see a side-by-side video comparison of both original and new camera versions shooting the same scene. I only have the newer one now, and of the two, I prefer the newer one since I won't be shooting indoor vids.

Quote:
I just got my replacement HD key cam to replace the one with the out of alignment CMOs sensor, and I find it's not the same as the original. I may not be the first one to get this one, but I'll take the time to document what is different about it... some things small... some not so small.

Differences:

1. It did not have the small "QC" stick on the side (and focus was not very good either).

2. I did the date removal firmware swap, and the yellow light did not come on to signal it was finished. Also the, non of the buttons then did anything... appeared bricked (this has been reported before). I connected to a PC USB port, the red LED lit, and I pushed the power button and it went into flash drive mode. I could access the SD card, removed the date off firmware, disconnecte the camera, turned it off and back on... Voila!... everything back to normal with no date stamp. Hmmmm... what's up wit dat?

3. I opened the camera to have a look inside (see pics of #1 and new #2 attached)"
  • The circuit board looked to have the same traces, but they were much finer defined, with some ID of various components on the board, like for LEDs, switches, etc. No date on the newer board, though.
  • The same big IC chips (memory and Video processor) on the processor side are identical, but they don't have the potting compound on the corners of the chips.
  • On the opposite "USB side, the 8 pin chip that was identified as replaceable to unbrick a camera now has an ID number on it.
  • But the biggest difference is the CMOS array. The ribbon cable is has a much different pin-out geometry on it, and the circuitboard terminations are different. And it has an ID number on it (C971P) So what is this newer CMOS, and how does it differ? More testing will be done, and I'll see if MyCameraGal can find out more.
Similarities

1. I check the video bit rate.. it was 7 Mbps like my old one, both before and after the firmware replacement. And it won't toggle into a 10Mbps mode by toggling the still pic mode before taking video.

2. I checked the battery failure file saving... it does not save the file, like my old one.

3. It still has the stop/save/continue function.

4. Webcam mode still works the same.

5. The lens appears to have the same vignetting issues

6. The colors appear to have the same low light level white balance shift. Color saturation change with light level and sensitivity to light intensity ("hunting" issue) needs to be checked.

So other than the different CMOS ribbon cable (and presumed different CMOS array), I see no other differences.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:40 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
One thing I didn't mention that looks to be unique to Freemake, is that it implements "CUDA" technology.
I noticed the "CUDA" thing was enabled on mine and I also noticed that it converted the ~1 minute clip in about ~40 seconds.

This is opposed to about 3 minutes converting with Avidemux and even then I couldn't get it to load into WMM. But I was probably doing something wrong anyway, that's why I like "Freemake" so far, it's almost idiot proof (but then I haven't had a chance to test that completely yet )

Yabba
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
I noticed the "CUDA" thing was enabled on mine and I also noticed that it converted the ~1 minute clip in about ~40 seconds.

This is opposed to about 3 minutes converting with Avidemux and even then I couldn't get it to load into WMM. But I was probably doing something wrong anyway, that's why I like "Freemake" so far, it's almost idiot proof (but then I haven't had a chance to test that completely yet )

Yabba
It is a nice editing alternative. If it only had the filter set of AviDemux, and a way to add an audio track that plays concurrently with the video, it would fill most of my needs.

As an aside, there is a very powerful freeware editor called OpenShot that has many advanced features, but it only runs on a LINUX operating system. I have been playing with it using a virtual machine implementation of LINUX, but LINUX has hundreds of implementations, none alike, and getting all the needed modules in one implementation is too confusing. One though, called AV LINUX comes with the OpenShot editor AND AviDemux as part of the package, but it was unstable on my PC. Runs fine for about 15 min., then suddenly goes "blue screen" in Windows jargon, i.e bricks the virtual machine. Only a power down and back up will restore the computer. Maybe one day it will prove stable...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:59 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Tom,

Wow !! I'm going to download and play with Mp4cam2AVI tomorrow.

If I can get the turn around times down to seconds that would be great. I'm planning to use these cams on several planes at our warbird day this year and that kind of speed might come in handy.

Thanks again.

Joe
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:10 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
In case anyone cares... I'm using Windows Media Player Classic with a little help from Quicktime Alternative to play the raw files from the camera memory card. All I had to do was install both programs and suddenly Media Player Classic was fine with .mov format.

For editing, I use Adobe Premiere which absolutely hates the .mov format, and doesn't care if I installed Quicktime Alternative a zillion times or not. So, I had to find a method to transcode to avi, which it likes lots. For that, I have been using Xillisoft Video Converter 6, and transcode it (and everything else, lately) of all things to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and it works fantastically well in Premiere. Now that I look up to the last post on this thread, I see mention of MP4cam2AVI, and it sounds VERY promising for super fast conversions. Definitely going to check that out, thanks again Tom! :-)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Now that I look up to the last post on this thread, I see mention of MP4cam2AVI, and it sounds VERY promising for super fast conversions. Definitely going to check that out, thanks again Tom! :-)

Rick NR417
Quote:
Hey Tom,

Wow !! I'm going to download and play with Mp4cam2AVI tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Joe
Well I'm just reporting my test findings. It was Keith Luneau who first resurfaced the presence of this tool to me back in post #1075. I had heard of it, but never really looked into it since it's just a format converter. But it's one of the few that can do a direct stream copy of the HD key cams native video, simply repackaging the original clip video and audio streams into a different container format, hence it's blinding speed.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,166 Posts
Hello!!

Has anyone tried "Logoaway" plugin for virtualdub to remove the date stamp?

http://voidon.republika.pl/virtualdub/
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:55 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
Hello!!

Has anyone tried "Logoaway" plugin for virtualdub to remove the date stamp?

http://voidon.republika.pl/virtualdub/
There's a better one called Timestamp Remover, but since Vdub cannot load a .MOV file like the HD key cam produces, and the time stamp can be totally turned off with this camera (well, with almost all of them), there's really no driving need to try to erase it from the video with one of those filters.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:19 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Here's a video of my New Hanger 9 J-3 Cub that I bought at our club auction SuperBowl Sunday.

I didn't even open the box until Monday afternoon. Geeze, talk about an ARF. I've never had a plane go together so easily. It was truly like the joke "open the box, throw in a bottle of CA, shake and the plane comes out".

SWEET Flyer.

Yabba

Wow how'd I miss that one. I guess I was too busy looking for EDFs. I ended up buying 8 aircraft. 6 with "buy it now."

What did ya get it for? Auction block of "buy it now?"
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:02 AM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
Do you have ffdshow installed on your computer so you have the H.264 codec used by the camera? If not, it's a free download you can google for it.

Then you can download the free MP4cam2AVI file converter. It will VERY quickly do a direct stream copy (i.e. no re-encoding) of the video and change the file format from .MOV to .AVI, which WMM should then be able to load and play.
Hello,
Using MP4cam2AVI (with ffdshow installed) I cannot use Window Movie Maker (Win XP SP2) : I click on "import video" xxx.avi, got the popup window "import" and nothing else. I have to kill the program with "Ctl+Alt+Supp".
So I use Avidemux with your setting and WMM run OK.
Is that normal ?

Thanks

Jacques
papayankee is offline Find More Posts by papayankee
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:14 AM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Vibration test : Hover heli flight

Hello !
Here a video to test the #11 cam for vibrations (80Mo). Indoor hover flight of my HDX500SAS.
http://air-et-terre.info/Tempo/110124-163110_sm.avi
The cam was tight fasten with a welcro ring.
Extracted and converted using Avidemux with settings given by Tom Frank but no filtering (thanks Tom for your job on this topic).

The #11 seems less sensitive to vibrations than #3 cam (almost no jello effect).
Have a good day.
Jacques
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Video Time bug

I have already contacted my supplier, Apple, 3 times about this bug but communication is exceedingly difficult. I also sent her the two attachments below.
I'm hoping she'll acknowledge this bug and provide a new firmware.
It is most annoying to record a video and have the camera advance the date by 2.5 DAYS! (Look at the Date and Time in the two images below)

I started my test yesterday morning, but after recording 10 hours of continuous video the camera had the time for tomorrow evenig (see second image)! How time flies

Continuous recording at 10 Mb/s

Continuous recording at 7 Mb/s

For those interested, I recorded in both 10 Mb/s as I posted in thread #1458 and 7Mb/s.
In 7Mb/s mode, I can record approx. 10 HOURS of continuous video on a 32GB micro SDHC using the special 1-4 USB cable and my faithful Just Mobile battery pack.
The 10Mb/s mode only gave me 6 hours and 35 minutes using a 32GB micro SDHC .

The internal LIPO and the battery pack were both fully charged when I started the experiment. At the end, the external battery pack showed that it had used 2/3 of it's power (One from Three charge LEDS was lit). I don't quite believe this, but the point I'm trying to make is that the Just Mobile will supply enough energy to record 10 HOURS of continuous video.

I find the 3.5 hours of total recording time using 4 AA batteries reported by deepinside to be very disappointing. 4 AA cells weigh approx. 95 gramms without the battery case, the Just Mobile weighs approx. 120 grams including the case, so I would have thought that the 4 AA cells would manage much more than 3.5 hours of recording.

This time, the camera did not hang when I unplugged it after reading the files, but after Safely Removing the Camera, I turned it off before unplugging it. To be on the safe side, I strongly recommend doing this.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:34 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's the latest video fom inside the soccer arena. Nothing great just various shots from 3 different cams. Stills, hand held shots, rides on Barney's Mayberry Flier, Underdogs "Penelope Purebred Special", and a friends Nieuport.

The arena is very tough for the keyfob as the lighting is the harshest most uneven you'll find.

Freemake with converted and WMM edited. Watch at YouTube to get the HD feed.

Joe

Unlimited Soccer Arena - HD KeyFob Fun (4 min 13 sec)
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:50 AM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
O M G... You know, I did two car driving tests with the camera velcroed down to my grille and so I knew the quality was good but... WOW... I just got back from my flying field from a couple of high altitude runs and my God in Heaven, the video is insanely beautiful. It's not just like it's twice the pixel resolution of my FPV camera... It's like an entirely different world. The sun hit the camera in a GORGEOUS starburst of rays, without any streaking or washing out, and you can see such incredible detail on objects on the ground for MILES... This this is AMAZING, and the results were so good that now I'm having second thoughts about modifying it to the degree I said I would. I still may, but I will probably wait till I can put down for another camera. These things are just amazing just the way they are. How that's possible, I have no earthly idea given the tiny size of the lens, but yeah... I'm just floored. Video at 11! :-D

Rick NR417
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayankee View Post
Hello !
Here a video to test the #11 cam for vibrations (80Mo). Indoor hover flight of my HDX500SAS.
Extracted and converted using Avidemux with settings given by Tom Frank but no filtering (thanks Tom for your job on this topic).

The #11 seems less sensitive to vibrations than #3 cam (almost no jello effect).
Have a good day.
Jacques
Interesting that yours showed so little effect. I did my first ever flight recording with mine this morning on my EasyStar and despite that I put the camera out on the wing, I still got jello effect and it's clear that it's from the motor because it stops every time I turned the motor off. Nevertheless, the video is insanely beautiful and I wouldn't trade my cam for anything... well... except a better one. Really love it! :-)

Strange thing happened btw... I started recording just as I set the plane down for an asphalt "runway takeoff", and flew two flights. The camera captured both flights, but halfway through the second one, it appears to drop down to far less than 30fps, and then it just totally quit without starting another file. Filesize was 993MB, and I had some other files still on the 4GB card but I would have thought it would at least try to start another before giving up. No big, I didn't free up the card which I should have, so I know the recording limit was all my bad. What I don't get is that sudden drop in framerate. I'm currently transcoding the whole file to see if it's a corruption in keying or something, which is very possible since it seems to change a bit if I stop, start or slide to a different time on the vid.

What amazing little cameras these are... Really puts things in perspective when I think back to my first B/W Quickcam or my Kodak DC40 0.4 megapixel digital camera, both of which were quite something back in the day.

Rick NR417

Rick NR417
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:31 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
The camera captured both flights, but halfway through the second one, it appears to drop down to far less than 30fps, and then it just totally quit without starting another file.
I think that's the battery getting low (or possibly cold, I'm sure one of Yabba's videos did that when he was up very high). I've also seen a buzzy/glitchy effect with my videos when the battery's on its last legs.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-56 View Post
I have tried everything under the sun, including reading posts, instructions, etc. and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to convert a .mov file (H.264) to a MPEG (or something else I can edit in WMM) using Avidemux v2.5.4.

I've used WMM in the past for simple editing so I'd like to stick with it.

Can someone help

Thanks...Dan
Last year, when I was struggling to find a way to use WMM on Vista to edit .MOV/H.264 video from my Canon camera's, the best solution (by far) that I found was to use MP4CAM2AVI to put the H.264 video stream into an AVI container. H.264 video is not a problem if you install the ffdshow codecs package; it's the .MOV (Apple Quicktime!) container format that causes problems on Windows systems up until Windows 7. Since MP4CAM2AVI can copy the H.264 into an AVI without re-encoding, there is no loss of quality, and it's also considerably faster than re-encoding.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Have a good day.
Jacques
Wow, good job Jacques. I put a #3SD on my HK 500GT and the waves were unbearable. (It is a well balanced heli)

I hadn't even considered using the HD camera on my heli because of the bad experience with the SD.

I'm going to re-think putting it on the heli now.

Yabba
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:10 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
The arena is very tough for the keyfob as the lighting is the harshest most uneven you'll find.

Freemake with converted and WMM edited. Watch at YouTube to get the HD feed.

Joe
Nice. If anyone wants to know about the focus of these cameras point them to the ceiling trusses beginning at abot 2:30 of your video. Awesome detail for the little camera that could.

Are the stills taken with the camera also? Or are they screengrabs?

If they are actual still images from the camera yours seems to take much better stills then my camera does.

Good job all around.

Yabba
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:54 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Yabba,

Thanks, the stills are pics from the cam. I've never done screen shots. Not really sure how.

The shot that stands out to me is the exterior of the Nieuport as it's waiting to take off. The cam is pointing away form all the lighting and it has a chance to show off what it can do in better conditions.

I'm ready to fly something other than a sim and bigger than a foamy

Joe
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Hey Yabba,

Thanks, the stills are pics from the cam. I've never done screen shots. Not really sure how.

The shot that stands out to me is the exterior of the Nieuport as it's waiting to take off. The cam is pointing away form all the lighting and it has a chance to show off what it can do in better conditions.

I'm ready to fly something other than a sim and bigger than a foamy

Joe
Here's one way, if you're interested: On a typical PC, load your video into Media Player Classic. Find the frame you want to grab, and press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. The image is now in the clipboard and can be pasted into any number of graphics programs. I like to use Paint Shop Pro for simplicity, but Photoshop works fine too, just requires an extra step.

You can also play your video in VirtualDub, find the frame you want, click "Video" from the menu bar, and then click "Copy Source Frame To Clipboard" from the drop down menu. After that, same deal as with the Windows Media Player Classic method.

Rick NR417
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:32 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Here's one way, if you're interested: On a typical PC, load your video into Media Player Classic. Find the frame you want to grab, and press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. The image is now in the clipboard and can be pasted into any number of graphics programs. I like to use Paint Shop Pro for simplicity, but Photoshop works fine too, just requires an extra step.

You can also play your video in VirtualDub, find the frame you want, click "Video" from the menu bar, and then click "Copy Source Frame To Clipboard" from the drop down menu. After that, same deal as with the Windows Media Player Classic method.

Rick NR417
Another very simple program designed for the purpose is X2X Free Video Capture 2.0.
However, I miss the single frame back button and the preview mode does not change until you release the scroll bar. If these two functions were available, this would be the perfect program just to capture frames.

If somebody finds a better (free) program that is specifically made to generate jpg images from a .MOV file please post here.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:54 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Thanks NightRunner417,

I think even I can remember print screen Didn't know it would capture a frame from a video.

I got MP4cam2AVI to work and it worked fast. I can only preview file(movie in .MOV) in an external viewer.

Do I set the Target file name to "Targetdir.avi" to get the file names to stay the same only with the avi extension? manually renamed a couple files to test things.

Do I use that setting to get it to rename the files during a batch process to individual files with the same names and the extension changed?

I will play with it more and I think I'll use it when needed. It would have sped things up yesterday when I had to wait two hours for Freemake to convert my indoor files from three cams.

Joe
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Gary, reading back through your posts, these two sentences suddenly seem to make sense to me.

I think you have an SD key chain camera, either a #1, #2, or #4. Please look at Chuck Lohr's site to identify it. He also has full instructions on date stamp removal (if it is possible on your particular model).

<edit> If the seller (presumably not one of the ones listed in Post 2) described it as an "HD" camera, then I suspect you have a #4 as here.
Thanks Tom and airmob for all your help with this and I have tried the firmware on a second camera that I purchased from http://blip.com.au at the same time and I still have exactly the same problem. I can only assume there is a problem with either the camera or me I probably have a different model camera that will not read the new firmware

I want to try to buy two more from a different source; do you guys have any recommendations since post 2 is fairly old and perhaps there is a newer more reliable source

Thanks again for all you help with this

Gary
gbaum is offline Find More Posts by gbaum
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaum View Post
Thanks Tom and airmob for all your help with this and I have tried the firmware on a second camera that I purchased from http://blip.com.au at the same time and I still have exactly the same problem. I can only assume there is a problem with either the camera or me …I probably have a different model camera that will not read the new firmware

I want to try to buy two more from a different source; do you guys have any recommendations since post 2 is fairly old and perhaps there is a newer more reliable source

Gary
Hi Gary. So you've got one of these? It is an SD camera (#2 I think) so cannot use the firmware you are trying. To remove the datestamp download this file, open it in a text editor and change the "Y" to "N" (might as well correct the date and time too) then copy it onto your camera. Unplug and turn on the camera. Done job.

Post 2 is bang up-to-date, Tom maintains it. The sellers listed are all reliable sources, the HD cameras (that this thread is all about) are far superior and much better value than the ones that Blip sell.
Last edited by airmob; Feb 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Hello,
Using MP4cam2AVI (with ffdshow installed) I cannot use Window Movie Maker (Win XP SP2) : I click on "import video" xxx.avi, got the popup window "import" and nothing else. I have to kill the program with "Ctl+Alt+Supp".
So I use Avidemux with your setting and WMM run OK.
Is that normal ?

Thanks

Jacques
It could be normal, but not necessary. Do you have the "create clips" box checked in the Import video selection window? If so, unchecked it and try again.

I just imported a "small" (271MB) .AVI file created by Mp4cam2AVI tool with this box checked on my XP machine, and it took 3 minutes to load it. It had to parse through the file to break it down into a couple dozen individual clips, which I didn't want anyway. When tried it again with that box unchecked, the files immediately and edits OK. Well, it edits OK for a hardware and memory deficient machine with a 2 generation old operating system on it! By comparison with my newer W7 PC... there is no comparison!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom and airmob for all your help with this and I have tried the firmware on a second camera that I purchased from http://blip.com.au at the same time and I still have exactly the same problem. I can only assume there is a problem with either the camera or me I probably have a different model camera that will not read the new firmware

Gary

It is easy to identify if you have a #11 HD camera or not.
If your recorded file names end with .MOV and begin with PTDC then you have a #11 HD cam. All other file names confirm that you do not have the #11 HD camera which is what this thread is all about.

Tom Frank has a link to all the known sellers of the #11 HD here. [edit] Oops, I see that airmob beat me to it (see post #1635)
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Another very simple program designed for the purpose is X2X Free Video Capture 2.0.
However, I miss the single frame back button and the preview mode does not change until you release the scroll bar. If these two functions were available, this would be the perfect program just to capture frames.

If somebody finds a better (free) program that is specifically made to generate jpg images from a .MOV file please post here.
If you are not using the AviDemux editor, the VLC player is probably the best for this. It will play the .MOV video directly from the camera. You can step through the video frame by frame (going forward only, though... have to move the time line slider to back up. But once you get a frame you want to capture, simply select the "Snapshot" item in the "Video" menu and it will save the frame at full 1280x720 resolution. It has default settings to save in your "Pictures" folder (on a Windows PC) in .png format with it's own "VLC" prefix appended to the video name, but you can change the picture file name, location and format by making your selection in the tools/preferences/video menu window (see pic below).

FWIW, the picture below was a screen grab that is standard with a W7 PC. For anything on your screen, you can click on the "snipit" tool icon, then point/drag a box around what you want to capture on your screen, and save what ever is in the box (can be a screen shot from your video player) to where ever you want to store it, with what ever name you give it, in several different formats.

And further, WindowsLiveMovieMaker for W7 has a button to capture the frame from the preview window. This is a handy way to change the frame size of the picture if you want, but it only saves in .png format, and the pixels dimensions of the preview window are not dispayed when you changes its size like WMM did with the Vista verison. These are not usually an issue , but if you try to import a picture in with a video, some editors want the frame size to be exactly the same as the video frame size.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 16, 2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added link to AviDemux post
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
It is easy to identify if you have a #11 HD camera or not.
Unfortunately, he definitely doesn't. His camera doesn't even take a memory card.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,260 Posts
A bit funny that the banner ad in this thread is a link to a HS advertising the old 640/480 version...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Tips For Converting From .MOV to .AVI Format Using MP4cam2AVI Utility

Comments inserted in red in your post quote below. Also, look at tha attached picture. In the upper right corner, be sure to set the "Action" selection when you are batch processing. You can have it output the separate files as .AVI files, or join them together as one .AVI file. With the settings in the picture, I got two separate files named PTDC0001.avi and PTDC0002.avi.

And be sure to set the "avi size limit" so it's big enough to hold your converted file. I found the "1024 Mb (DVD) setting to be big enough for a 20 minute clip from my camera which captures at 7MB/sec data rate, but since some HD key cams can capture at 10MB/sec, setting the max size to 4096 (PC) would be better. I also check the box next to "align to clip start", although I don't know if this has any effect. I think if the source video were a standard MP4 clip, it could be viewed in the program's preview windowand you might be able to mark the point where you want the new repackaged video to start, effectively clipping off unwanted initial portions of a clip.

Quote:
Thanks NightRunner417,

I think even I can remember print screen Didn't know it would capture a frame from a video.
It will capture your entire screen... not just the video. See other posts for better options.

I got MP4cam2AVI to work and it worked fast. I can only preview file(movie in .MOV) in an external viewer.
But if you double click on the file name in the MP4cam2AVI selection pane, it will automatically pop up a viewer (whatever you have associated to open the .MOV file type on your PC). No need to stop and open the file separately.

Do I set the Target file name to "Targetdir.avi" to get the file names to stay the same only with the avi extension? manually renamed a couple files to test things.
Yes, and it will save in the same target directory location, too.

Do I use that setting to get it to rename the files during a batch process to individual files with the same names and the extension changed?
Yes.

I will play with it more and I think I'll use it when needed. It would have sped things up yesterday when I had to wait two hours for Freemake to convert my indoor files from three cams.

Joe
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: added long forgotten attachment
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:10 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Quote:
The VLC player is probably the best for this. .
Avidemux works well for frame capture, even a series of frames. So well, I haven't tried anything else. Captures native format.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:16 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
I've tried to convert using VLC, but it whiffs most of the time with the HD key cam vids... won't even start the trans-coding, so I gave up on it.
Vista V 7 of 9?
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:19 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Thanks Tom !!

That's great info. I now have three options for changing mov files into something WMM will work with.

Freemake - Dead Simple - Will put video lots of places like YouTube, DVD, BlueRay, AVI . I can give it to friends and know they will be able to work with it.

MP4cam2AVI - Fast convert no filters

Avidemux - For nice footage I want to filter into something great!!

I have to say I got kinda bored with my old #3's but I can see using a bunch of these HD versions (I already have three) pretty often. I even went out and got a USB 750Gb hard drive yesterday for video work as I can see filling up a fair amount of space very quickly. Best Buy had them on sale for $100.

Last night I started work on 2 more Eyepods to mount these cams on stuff this summer.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Vista V 7 of 9?
Mike
W7... fully updated (except SP1 for W7 is being released in a week).
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Avidemux works well for frame capture, even a series of frames. So well, I haven't tried anything else. Captures native format.
Thanks for the tip! I even looked for a frame grab in the menus before posting, but skipped looking in the "save" option for some reason. I guess I've been spending too much time with the filters in AviDemux.

p.s. I edited my post with a link to your about AviDemux.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 16, 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
The VLC player is probably the best for this. It will play the .MOV video directly from the camera. You can step through the video frame by frame (going forward only, though... have to move the time line slider to back up. But once you get a frame you want to capture, simply select the "Snapshot" item in the "Video" menu and it will save the frame at full 1280x720 resolution. It has default settings to save in your "Pictures" folder (on a Windows PC) in .png format with it's own "VLC" prefix appended to the video name, but you can change the picture file name, location and format by making your selection in the tools/preferences/video menu window (see pic below).

FWIW, the picture below was a screen grab that is standard with a W7 PC. For anything on your screen, you can click on the "snipit" tool icon, then point/drag a box around what you want to capture on your screen, and save what ever is in the box (can be a screen shot from your video player) to where ever you want to store it, with what ever name you give it, in several different formats.

And further, WindowsLiveMovieMaker for W7 has a button to capture the frame from the preview window. This is a handy way to change the frame size of the picture if you want, but it only saves in .png format, and the pixels dimensions of the preview window are not dispayed when you changes its size like WMM did with the Vista verison. These are not usually an issue , but if you try to import a picture in with a video, some editors want the frame size to be exactly the same as the video frame size.
Thank you Tom for this information. I use VLC as my player but never realized it's potential. Too bad it hasn't a "back frame" shortcut. That would make it perfect for my needs.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Tom for this information. I use VLC as my player but never realized it's potential. Too bad it hasn't a "back frame" shortcut. That would make it perfect for my needs.
As Victapilot just pointed out, AviDemux editor also does full size frame captures, but it can easily step forward and backward frame-by-frame, keyframe-by-keyframe, as well as output a range of frames you select as individual pictures! Definitely the best option of the bunch!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Hi Gary. So you've got one of these? It is an SD camera (#2 I think) so cannot use the firmware you are trying. To remove the datestamp download this file, open it in a text editor and change the "Y" to "N" (might as well correct the date and time too) then copy it onto your camera. Unplug and turn on the camera. Done job.

Post 2 is bang up-to-date, Tom maintains it. The sellers listed are all reliable sources, the HD cameras (that this thread is all about) are far superior and much better value than the ones that Blip sell.
THANK YOU SO MUCH airmob , that fixed it.it nice to know that I am not crazy, I cant believe it was so easy

There are so many of these cameras listed in post #2 and they all look alike I assume I should look for frame size of 1280 x 720 and frame 30 fps
gbaum is offline Find More Posts by gbaum
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH airmob , that fixed it.it nice to know that I am not crazy, I cant believe it was so easy

There are so many of these cameras listed in post #2 and they all look alike I assume I should look for frame size of 1280 x 720 and frame 30 fps
You're very welcome, glad that worked.

Yes, as Tom says, "look for the frame size and frame rate to be 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps, the H.264 video codec, and/or the .MOV file format."

The sellers listed in Post 2 are all selling exactly the same camera.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
If by "minus" you mean "Ground" (usually a black cable), then yes. In most cases you don't have to solder the Ground cable to Pin 5 because its already there, so you just desolder 5V from Pin 1 and solder it to Pin 4.

The image you posted shows the front side of the USB plug. The hidden back side looks a bit different but when you see it its self-explaining.
Be careful though when you do it, make sure theres no connection between Pin 4 and 5.
Thanks a lot for explaining this!
I am just going to use my "emergency charger" mini usb cable, it already has pin 4 and pin 5 connected.
sss111 is offline Find More Posts by sss111
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:

I thought post #1 should give folks the key info for determining if they have the REAL HD key cam or not, with post #2 going further giving the only known sellers of the REAL HD version.

If you read those, but were still not sure, what else needs to be added? I'd like to avoid in the future the dozen or more posts we all had going back and forth trying to find a solution that was never there in the first place. I'll revise the initial posts as needed if you can point out what was missing.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Yes, as Tom says, "look for the frame size and frame rate to be 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps, the H.264 video codec, and/or the .MOV file format."
Yes, be very sure you're getting the MOV/H.264 version. There is a "fake HD" version of the older SD model that just interpolates up to 1280x720, and it's the worst version you could possibly get: The dropped frame rate on mine is about 43%, which makes it useless IMO. The "real HD" cameras cost about $40, whereas the fake is about the same price as the old #3 SD.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:13 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:

Rick NR417
For Joespeeder,

I misspoke when I said "screengrab". Sorry, what I meant to ask was if it was a picture taken from the preview frame in WMM. (Under "Tools", "Take picture from Preview")

But you answered my question anyway, it was taken with the CAMERA" not from the video file.

Thanks Rick, I just didn't want poor old Joe to go around trying to do a "print screen" or snipping when he doesn't have to.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
Yes, be very sure you're getting the MOV/H.264 version. There is a "fake HD" version of the older SD model that just interpolates up to 1280x720, and it's the worst version you could possibly get: The dropped frame rate on mine is about 43%, which makes it useless IMO. The "real HD" cameras cost about $40, whereas the fake is about the same price as the old #3 SD.
Actually, I think it interpolates up to 1280 x 960, doesn't it, i.e. a 4:3 aspect ratio of the old 808 cameras, rather than the true 16:9 ratio of the REAL HD key cam?

I pointed all this out in the very first post of this thread, but once the thread starts to get long, it seems many don't start with the first few posts, even though I added a big heads up in the thread title!

I need a way to add "sticky" posts, like can be done with "sticky threads" at the forum level.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
I can record approx. 10 HOURS of continuous video on a 32GB micro SDHC using the special 1-4 USB cable and my faithful Just Mobile battery pack.
The 10Mb/s mode only gave me 6 hours and 35 minutes using a 32GB micro SDHC .
HD, 10 hours, 120 gram - I think thats a record not to be broken anytime soon.
Can't wait to record my 2TB of data on MicroSDXC when SD 4.0 comes out.
Hopefully the chinese producers of the keychain cam make this available to us in the future. I dream of recording 100 or 1000 hours in UltraHD.
Well, maybe in two years.

Can you explain what you did with the USB cable from JustMobile in detail. I didn't understand this. Is it modified or not? Can it be modified?
Also which of the JustMobile packs are you using exactly? What are the measures? How long does it take to charge?
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Actually, I think it interpolates up to 1280 x 960, doesn't it, i.e. a 4:3 aspect ratio of the old 808 cameras, rather than the true 16:9 ratio of the REAL HD key cam?
The one I have is 1280x720, and it doesn't seem to be listed on ChuckLohr.com. I saw that he lists a 1280x960 as model #4, but that isn't the one I have: Mine has a yellow timestamp, it takes a TF card, and has no internal memory. I got it on eBay last fall.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
I'm vary new to all of this so don't pick on me to much but why do you convert your vids to AVI
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
I have already contacted my supplier, Apple, 3 times about this bug but communication is exceedingly difficult. I also sent her the two attachments below.
I'm hoping she'll acknowledge this bug and provide a new firmware.
It is most annoying to record a video and have the camera advance the date by 2.5 DAYS! (Look at the Date and Time in the two images below)

Continuous recording at 7 Mb/s
This must be something specifc to your camera firmware, since yours can be toggle between two different data rates and mine will only record at 7Mb/s nominal ave. data rate. And my time stamps are exactly 20 min. apart, just like the video duration (although I haven't set the date since I erased it from the video). As I recall, that didn't change the date used in the file tags, though.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR_66 View Post
I'm vary new to all of this so don't pick on me to much but why do you convert your vids to AVI
I don't normally, but only because my main editing software and players with W7 OS will import the .MOV (Apple Quicktime format) file the camera produces. Others are not so lucky, especially if using the old Windows XP operating system, which requires add-on modules to even open or play those files. Conversion to .AVI format allows most playing/editing software to use the video, if the H.264 codec is installed (e.g., the "ffdshow" codec pack I reference back in the editing post linked on post #3).
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 16, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:25 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
I'm on w7 and just got wmm to play around with... Thank you Tom
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR_66 View Post
I'm on w7 and just got wmm to play around with... Thank you Tom
That's Windows LIVE Movie Maker (part of the Windows Live Essentials free download package) you are referring to, I hope. That version is generally referred to as WLMM to properly identify it for others.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
The one I have is 1280x720, and it doesn't seem to be listed on ChuckLohr.com. I saw that he lists a 1280x960 as model #4, but that isn't the one I have: Mine has a yellow timestamp, it takes a TF card, and has no internal memory. I got it on eBay last fall.
OK< thanks... wasn't even aware that one existed. I really wish the HD key Cam had used a different case design, because this camera is so radically different from the old 808 key cams, it really shouldn't even be associated with them IMHO.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:30 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
My new 808HD keycam taped to the wing of my EasyStar, and compared to the FPV camera feed. This thing is AWESOME. :-)

EasyStar Day 2-16-11: 808HD First Flight Test (7 min 46 sec)

Rick NR417
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
My new 808HD keycam taped to the wing of my EasyStar, and compared to the FPV camera feed. This thing is AWESOME. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAis6ndSYU

Rick NR417

Rick,

Very good but save some weight and take the metal key chain ring off. You don't need it.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
I believe the .MOV files the camera creates has some non-standard portion in the video stream that only Quicktime recornizes when it throws up that "bad atom" error. I can play and edit the .MOV files just fine with AviDemux editor (and others, like WLMM), but when I do a "direct stream copy" (i.e. with no re-encoding) of the .MOV file into an .AVI container using AviDemux, that file will not play or edit properly. I can get sound, at most, with no video, EXCEPT when I play it back with VLC. It ignores what ever the problem is, and plays the video and audio normally, but of course, it's not an editor.
VLC worked like a charm for playback. Thanks!
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Hello !

Have a good day.
Jacques
That's one low vibration heli you have there!

I hadn't thought about it much, but I don't think there would be a significant difference in perceived vibration effects in the video from the HD camera. The waves are an artifact of the vibration frequency/amplitude/direction combined with the scan rate used by the CMOS sensor, which records each line of pixels sequentially. The HD camera has 720 horizontal lines of resolution, twice that of the older 808 with just 480 horizontal lines, but both are being scanned at 30 frames per second, and the HD camera just spreads out the pixels lines over a taller video frame, so I'd think if the two cameras were attached exactly the same in the same spot, they would have similar vibration waves in the video. I think your camera mounting location/securement and good balance of the heli rotor have more to do with the absence of any waves in your video, but whatever, it's rare to see a heli clip with no vibration at all like that! Very nice!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:57 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Okay, shot my first indoor flight video with this camera today. On playback with my laptop there was alot of what I will call noise, and radical color changes. I mean psychodelic. Good thing I'm not on drugs. Anyone here have a similar experience? If so, can it be remedied?

Ken

Well, I installed the VLC player and no more funky colors. Also processing in WLMM eliminated the issue as well.

Just trying out the Avidemux 2.5 software also. Another piece of somethng to get my mind around.

Here is my video test from the Ultimate Soccer Arena in Pontiac MI. I was there the same time as JoeSpeeder.

Ken

HD Key Fob Camera Test uploaded through WLMM (3 min 1 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Well, I installed the VLC player and no more funky colors. Also processing in WLMM eliminated the issue as well.

Just trying out the Avidemux 2.5 software also. Another piece of somethng to get my mind around.

Here is my video test from the Ultimate Soccer Arena in Pontiac MI. I was there the same time as JoeSpeeder.

Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBjxJptiF3w
Ken,

For relatively low light level the quality is excellent.

Any focus adjustment?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:03 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Ken,

Your video shows the advantages of an EDF over my unbalanced props.

Great job !!

Joe
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:15 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,330 Posts
Bill, the focus was not touched. Straight from the bag stock.

Joe, thanks! She is a smooth runner once I can back down to half throttle. That is where I fly that at USA.

Ken s
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:12 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,898 Posts
HD Head-to-Head

I have linked two videos below. Both are of exactly the same scene. One is from an iPhone 4, which takes 720p videos in stock form. The video is unedited.

The other video is naturally from our HD KeyCam, with the factory focus setting. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get it looking its best. In particular, it seems that the vignetting was especially noticable in the VERY flat light of the day. I also attempted to minimize the central red haze, while keeping the overall picture sharp. Keep in mind that I'm no expert with AVIDemux, so another user could very likely do better with far less effort.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that a person could spend countless hours playing with the various filters attempting to correct problems. I've also come to the conclusion that even though the HD KeyCam has the inferior picture, there's no way I'd ever consider flying my iPhone. Too expensive, too heavy, too big, and the wrong form factor given the location of the lens. HD KeyCam wins.

tn

iPhone video
KeyCam video
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Feb 17, 2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
HD, 10 hours, 120 gram - I think thats a record not to be broken anytime soon.
Can't wait to record my 2TB of data on MicroSDXC when SD 4.0 comes out.
Hopefully the chinese producers of the keychain cam make this available to us in the future. I dream of recording 100 or 1000 hours in UltraHD.
Well, maybe in two years.

Can you explain what you did with the USB cable from JustMobile in detail. I didn't understand this. Is it modified or not? Can it be modified?
Also which of the JustMobile packs are you using exactly? What are the measures? How long does it take to charge?
I am using the Just Mobile Gum Pro which you can view here.
It measures 6.9 x 5.4 x 2.2 cm. Mine came with a short USB cable.
There is a very good German video showing how it works here.
I don't know how long it takes to charge, but it certainly takes a couple of hours or more. I always let mine charge overnight using a Motorola V6 wall charger. I don't think you can overcharge it.

The Just Mobile is not modified in any way, but you will need to make a special cable.

Since I can't locate any mini-USB male sockets with 5 solder connections locally I have ordered some via eBay. I will make up a proper cable when I get these connectors.

For my test cable I used the cable supplied with the Emergency charger. This has the mini-USB at one end and a 2.5mm (I think it is 2.5mm) mono plug at the other end. I did not tamper with this cable.

Now I took a spare USB cable and cut off one end, keeping the end with the standard USB plug, Type A (about 6 inches long).

On the cut end, I removed about an inch of sleeving and cut off the two data wires so I was left with a red and a black wire (the colors may be different with other cables, but I was lucky in that I had a red+ and a black- wire).

I soldered a very old 2.5mm mono socket to the two wires. The red+ wire (your color may be different) must be soldered so that it will make contact to the end of the plug (+5V).

I put plenty of insulation tape around the two soldered contacts to avoid any shorts.

Now I connected the two cables together and double and triple checked that the connections were ok. Using two crocodile clip cables and two small safety pins used as probes, I checked conectivity using a multimeter. Pin 4 (sometimes named pin x) on the mini-USB must be connected to pin 1 of the standard USB (type A). Pin 5 from the mini-USB must be connected to pin 4 of the standard USB (type A).

Like I said, this is all very, very temporary as you can see from the picture. Normally I don't publish pictures that are messy like this.

For a real cable, here are the details again:
Pin 4 (sometimes named pin x) on the mini-USB must be connected to pin 1 of the standard USB (type A). This is the VCC or +5V
Pin 5 from the mini-USB must be connected to pin 4 of the standard USB (type A). This is the Ground, Earth or Negative

I have also ordered a female mini-USB socket and female standard USB socket. This will make it easier to test my final cable. I can't afford to make a mistake.

I too am waiting for the MicroSDXC to appear. That will make life very interesting
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
This must be something specifc to your camera firmware, since yours can be toggle between two different data rates and mine will only record at 7Mb/s nominal ave. data rate. And my time stamps are exactly 20 min. apart, just like the video duration (although I haven't set the date since I erased it from the video). As I recall, that didn't change the date used in the file tags, though.
This is very strange. My firmware is EXACTLY the same as you have posted. I have confirmed this in my hex editor. I wonder why some cameras can toggle between 10Mb/s and 7Mb/s and others can't.

I have just taken a video using a 4GB card without any external power and my 20 minute clips still show that they are 2 hours long. This makes me think that the time is a function of the processor and not the firmware...
Very strange... My time flies by faster and faster... I think there's something wrong with my clock - I'm now already on the 27th February.... And I haven't made THAT many videos...

Apple, has finally understood (I hope) what I have been trying to tell her and will check with her "technological department".
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:30 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
Hello, this is my first post on this thread. I have just bought the HD version of the 808 though I do have 5 of the old #3 version and one MD80 all of which I've removed the date stamp from and successfully refocused. Still waiting for my HD cam as only ordered a couple of days ago.
I noticed people complaining about noise on video which was put down to ignition noise. I just downloaded the free avidemux editor and tested it with one of my old files and there is similar noise. (No noise on the original.) I just wondered if Avideemux creates noise on the file when you save it? (Sorry if this has come up before. I did go through the whole thread but may have missed it.)

Bob in rainy UK.

PS There are a lot of videos on my YouTube channel, many of them shot with MD80 and 808 #3 key chain cameras. Model flying and paragliding. Most of which were taken before I removed the date stamp so I just used Virtual Dub and Logoaway to blur the date.

This one shows just what's possible with a mini DV.

Yacht Delivery V2. MD80 and 808 mini DV camera Epic Movie. (10 min 0 sec)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:03 AM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
I noticed people complaining about noise on video which was put down to ignition noise. I just downloaded the free avidemux editor and tested it with one of my old files and there is similar noise. (No noise on the original.) I just wondered if Avideemux creates noise on the file when you save it?
Hi Bob.

No, you can hear the noise when playing the original video (without ever going near Avidemux).

It only happens with in-car footage and only when the car is moving. Listen to this video as a good example:

Sample Video - Daylight On the Road - 808 #11 Micro Camera HD 1280x720 (1 min 0 sec)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:15 AM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
Wow, good job Jacques. I put a #3SD on my HK 500GT and the waves were unbearable. (It is a well balanced heli)

I hadn't even considered using the HD camera on my heli because of the bad experience with the SD.

I'm going to re-think putting it on the heli now.

Yabba

Thanks Yabba,

My set up :

Alu support near the tail boom block.

A rubber band and welcro to fasten the camera (tight)

To avoid vibrations the head speed is low, about 2400 rpm.

Jacques
Last edited by papayankee; Feb 18, 2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: RPM 2400 (not 1800)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:30 AM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
That's one low vibration heli you have there!

I hadn't thought about it much, but I don't think there would be a significant difference in perceived vibration effects in the video from the HD camera.
I agree your comment .

About my issue with Window Movie Maker (v 5.1), checked or uncheked, it freeZE with AVI files out of Mp4cam2avi. I use Avidemux !
Thanks

Jacques
Last edited by papayankee; Feb 17, 2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: freeZE !!!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:47 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
W7... fully updated (except SP1 for W7 is being released in a week).
& I 'm Vista'd & too tight pursed to contribute to Bill's retirement fund by going 7. - is that why I can transcode in VLC & U can't - just waffle really
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:03 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bob.

No, you can hear the noise when playing the original video (without ever going near Avidemux).

It only happens with in-car footage and only when the car is moving. Listen to this video as a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSCaArMaQU
Interesting, and as you say must be associated with ignition. The file I played was one of my old 808 files. No noise in VLC media player or when edited and posted somewhere. But noise when played in Avidemux. I haven't yet tried it with new files as I'm still waiting for the camera.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:25 AM
ptg
Barjetling Academy #1
Joined Apr 2005
349 Posts
KM player

I see that is a lot of talking about noise and various media players.
I use KM player.
Null problemo at all.
And very user friendly.

For sure is better than VLC, G...
About WMP, BS I stopped thinking years ago.
ptg is offline Find More Posts by ptg
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
I was so happy with the camera I got from eletoponline365, I decided to get one more

Only this time I decided to get it from hxelepro360 because it seems the delivery time from hxelepro360 is faster.

And indeed it was faster, it only took 9 days (it took 19 days when I ordered from eletoponline365).

But the problem is, this time I got the camera that only has 6.5 Mbps video bit rate...
The one I got from eletoponline365 has 10.2 Mbps bit rate and I love it...
I can't find much difference in the video quality, I need to do more comparisons, but even the thought that it has 1/3 less bit rate is killing me!
I really want 10.2 Mbps bit rate!

Does anyone know if there are still sellers left that sell model with 10 Mbps bit rate? Should I try and get one more from eletoponline365?
Maybe he still has it? Or perhaps theres a firmware that can change the bitrate?
sss111 is offline Find More Posts by sss111
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptg View Post
I see that is a lot of talking about noise and various media players.
No, there really isn't.

The noise is actually on the video recorded when in a moving car. It's nothing to do with any players or editors.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:12 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Here a video to test the #11 cam for vibrations (80Mo). Indoor hover flight of my HDX500SAS. The cam was tight fasten with a welcro ring.
Jacques, that's absolutely impressive, even more considering where you mounted it: congratulations!

I have a Trex 450 Pro but I'm having troubles getting a steady image, I'd say things are worse with the #11 HD than with my old #8 and gumpack cameras (maybe it's just because the resolution is higher and the image clearer).
The heli is pretty well setup and balanced, and tracks perfectly: I truly would not know what to do differently/better in this department.

Anyways, I started with bolting a 30x40mm carbon-fiber plate, 1mm thick, to the front landing gear mount, with the idea of having a very solid surface, one-piece with the frame, that would not introduce any more vibrations on its own.

Then I started to work on ways to isolate the camera from the heli, so I first tried with a piece of soft foam between the plate and the camera, holding the latter with rubber bands.
It didn't work well: in flight, the camera was apparently shaking around the lens axis, as the horizon line in the video was tilting a lot.

Second attempt was using two strips of harder rubber foam (spaced so they would touch the back of the camera at the extremities and prevent oscillations, see picture attached). That worked a little better, but still far from optimal: small oscillations were still there, and - combined with the rolling shutter of these small cameras - they were causing a weird "liquid" effect in the videos, as if you were looking at the scene through some heat waves, if you understand what I mean.

It seems to me that these cameras like a rather rigid mount, as Jacques is using no padding whatsoever, and velcro to hold it down. Am I right?
If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening...
120ccpm is offline Find More Posts by 120ccpm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:35 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
I found the best way is mounting to the heli battery, it has mass which is less sensitive to the frequency that causes jelly vibes. Just fly without canopy. I don't have good video to show, it's SD (#3) anyway
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
I found the best way is mounting to the heli battery, it has mass which is less sensitive to the frequency that causes jelly vibes. Just fly without canopy. I don't have good video to show, it's SD (#3) anyway
I tried your suggestion with my HK500 earlier (from the other thread). It did seem to reduce the jello but it was really worthless for my purposes since the HK (Trex 500 clone) battery mount points down at a goodly angle.

With the #3's SD video quality, this didn't really suit me (flying high to get objects on the ground). I want more of a point and shoot straight ahead angle so I eventually gave up on mounting on the battery.

I tried a plate off of the bottom of the frame with the sausage rolls of BluTac and that gave me the point and shoot capability but the jello was unbearable.

I finally ended up swapping my Beaver (don't go making jokes ) for a Gaui Quad Flyer

Film at 11

Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Feb 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: cuz i stl kant spel god, i meen goot
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Quote:
I tried your suggestion with my HK500 earlier (from the other thread).
Yabba
I remember that, I used my wedge to diminish the angle. Video not interesting, if I do it again I'll post "over there", but I want to go with my ZxD. A 450 clone can easily lift 250g (weight of my A-109 fuselage) or more with small pinion and pitch adjustment.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
I had tried all sorts of techniques to isolate vibrations from a keycam on a 450 heli, (although never tried mounted right off the gyro block), the things that worked best for me personally so far were.

1. Rigid mount, with the lens pretty much right below the main shaft. I believe this is sort of the apex, of the vibrations (for lack of the correct word), where they are smaller because each vibration causes a smaller shift, than say the nose. Still get some jello, but much less than most of the other 15 methods I personally tried.
2. making a rather large heavy camera mount (in my case a big block of thick plywood), and hanging it loosly off of the skids(I also tried many other ways of attaching it to the skids with varous foams, air bubbles, tubing, etc), but simply loose zip ties worked best. That gave pretty much jello free video, but its big, ugly, heavy, and a pain to deal with.

I also learned to never again put a keychain camera on the tail boom. While it did give a cool angle, one time I came down just a little fast, bumping the skids on the ground, the blades must have flexed down a little bit, and practically vaporized the keychain cam.

I spent 2 hours, picking up around 30-50 pieces (and that still wasn't all of them) from a 100 foot radius. Reason I spent that much time, I was hoping to at least recover the MicroSD card to get some videos off, but I never did find it.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,282 Posts
Hi.
I just received the camera (HD720P mini DV), but I can't take any video or pictures.
I see no flash memory in the slot. Is it integrated?
I charged the camera.
I hold the on/off button, led starts blinking, but continues blinking, even if I press the shutter button.
I can see the device in my PC. I see no firmware in the root (is it normal?), and no video or photos taken after all my efforts.
What should I do?
Thanks for helping
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
Hi.
I just received the camera (HD720P mini DV), but I can't take any video or pictures.
I see no flash memory in the slot. Is it integrated?
I charged the camera.
I hold the on/off button, led starts blinking, but continues blinking, even if I press the shutter button.
I can see the device in my PC. I see no firmware in the root (is it normal?), and no video or photos taken after all my efforts.
What should I do?
Thanks for helping
Takis
You have to supply your own Micro SD card. There's lots of advice in the FAQs in Post 3.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:51 PM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
I also learned to never again put a keychain camera on the tail boom. While it did give a cool angle, one time I came down just a little fast, bumping the skids on the ground, the blades must have flexed down a little bit, and practically vaporized the keychain cam.

I spent 2 hours, picking up around 30-50 pieces (and that still wasn't all of them) from a 100 foot radius. Reason I spent that much time, I was hoping to at least recover the MicroSD card to get some videos off, but I never did find it.
I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing... I'm in tears...
120ccpm is offline Find More Posts by 120ccpm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:19 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
, the blades must have flexed down a little bit, and practically vaporized the keychain cam.

Vaporized !!!

Set Phasors to "vaporize" Hahaha. You have a way with words

Yabba

And that Takiss, is why you have to supply your own Micro SD card
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,282 Posts
Hi airmob.
This is what I bought from hxelepro360 (excellent service)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEWNX:IT:
Item Description

1: 720P High Definition Video
1280x720 H.264 30fps .mov
2: 5.0Mega pixels Camera
2592X1944 .jpg
3: Using as a driving recorder 20 minute close-and-continue
4: USB: 2.0
5: PC-Camera: 640x480
6: Mass storage
7: 4G TF card can video about 80 minutes
8. Support up to 32G TF memory card, you’d better use the SDH4 FILSH MEMORY High-Speed Card.
9. Built-in rechargeable high volume Lithium-ion Battery 250mA
10. Built-in Charger manage IC

Package includes

HD Car key spy camera X 1PC
4GB TF Card X 1PC
Car charger X 1PC
EU Charger Adapter X 1PC
USB cable X 1PC
Velcro X 2PCS
USE Manual X 1PC

Do I have to insert Micro SD card?
Why the led doesn't stop flashing?
Thanks for helping
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
So yours included the card. Find it in the packaging, and insert it into the slot on the camera..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:42 PM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
When tried it again with that box unchecked, the files immediately and edits OK.
MP4Cam2AVI + VMM looks OK now.
I enter in "tools" menu, then "options", then "compatibility" and I checked the "ffdshow MPEG-4 video decoder" box which was the only one non cheked (?).
It needs a lot of time to load the AVI file got with MP4Cam2AVI !
Thanks

jacques
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:05 PM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
I try that on the 500 heli* and it gives "jello".
To avoid vibrations I think you must hold this small cam as tight as possible and choose an headspeed giving low vibrations.
To have an idea of the camera vibrations amplitude and frequencies I use spectrogram :
http://www.electronics-lab.com/downl...003/index.html
With virtualdub I extract the sound .wav file and analyse it with spectrogram. It is very usefull and easy to get the headspeed (fundamental) and harmonics.

Jacques

* I try to set the cam on the RX battery (LiPo3S 2200) of my Ornith 46 glow heli and it was horrible. Not yet found a good (simple) setting on the glow heli.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:20 PM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
So yours included the card. Find it in the packaging, and insert it into the slot on the camera..
..a
... with card contacts up, same side as camera buttons .
If the yellow led still blink, bad contacts of the memory card with camera socket. I have had to remove the upper plastic shell and press very firmly on the card socket to recover my first "toasted" #11 cam.

I have received yesterday my new "27$" HD cam .
I have no memory card available to test it but in webcam mode it seems to have less color saturation and less contrast that the old one.

Good clips
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:48 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
That's Windows LIVE Movie Maker (part of the Windows Live Essentials free download package) you are referring to, I hope. That version is generally referred to as WLMM to properly identify it for others.
Got ya
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
MP4Cam2AVI + VMM looks OK now.
I enter in "tools" menu, then "options", then "compatibility" and I checked the "ffdshow MPEG-4 video decoder" box which was the only one non cheked (?).
It needs a lot of time to load the AVI file got with MP4Cam2AVI !
Thanks

jacques
I also run the 64 bit version of VMM on my W7(64 bit) PC. The MP4cam2AVI .avi files load instantly. This could just be a hardware/memory issue... I have 12GB of ram. With WLMM, though, on large H.264 files, it will load slow, creating an internal lesser resolution version of the the video so that the editing speed increases. The output video, is full res, though.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
[QUOTE=papayankee;17437619...
I have received yesterday my new "27$" HD cam .
I have no memory card available to test it but in webcam mode it seems to have less color saturation and less contrast that the old one.

Good clips[/QUOTE]Is this a different camera from the one discussed in this thread, or just a good deal on the same one?
Closed Thread