SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
The component layout resembles that on my #11.

the files are labeled PTDCxxxx.MOV or .jpg
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:12 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Your pictures are too fuzzy for my eyes, but compare them with the pictures posted in post #2.

Since the lens is soldered, if it is a #11, it is an old version.
Another tell-tale is the size and names of the files. I don't have access to my old #11s at the moment so I can't tell you how the files are named, but if you would post the file names it would be helpful. Can you set the date and time using Nr11Timeset.exe?

Is the output file H264 (1280x720)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
The component layout resembles that on my #11.

the files are labeled PTDCxxxx.MOV or .jpg
Thanks guys yeah the output file is 1280x720 so im guessing its a #11

anyone ever powered their camera from their flight battery?

im currently flying a hobbyzone champ with a 500Mah battery so should have enough juice for both plane an cam

currently the cam turns off after a few mins an doesnt record what it was recording before powering off (v annoying!!)
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:44 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Hi people,

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 and it seems it can't mount my 808 #11 for reading. Here what dmesg says:

Quote:
[ 8864.821268] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
[ 8864.821277] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error
[ 8864.821285] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00
[ 8864.821302] end_request: critical target error, dev sdc, sector 0
[ 8864.828386] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Unhandled sense code
[ 8864.828392] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Result: hostbyte=invalid driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Under Windows, the cam works without problems.

Any ideas?
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:59 AM
Padova, Italy
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
battery problem ?

Hi .
Last sunday I tried my # 11 full charged .
Tied it on top of my son's hat and record a first person adventure in the nature.
But only 33' of video was recorded, and the last 15min was a sequence of buzzing sound.
I tried (at home)a new record with a 600 mAh LIpo battery connect to usb plug using special cable. Manually stopped the record after about 40 mins.. and all video sequence was a buzzing dance.
I don't understand why..
I'll try a new internal battery.. I'm very disappointed, I love video quality of this cam and I'm afraid it is dying .
P.S.
Sorry for my poor english
bulbsrtw is offline Find More Posts by bulbsrtw
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbsrtw View Post
Hi .
Last sunday I tried my # 11 full charged .
Tied it on top of my son's hat and record a first person adventure in the nature.
But only 33' of video was recorded, and the last 15min was a sequence of buzzing sound.
I tried (at home)a new record with a 600 mAh LIpo battery connect to usb plug using special cable. Manually stopped the record after about 40 mins.. and all video sequence was a buzzing dance.
I don't understand why..
I'll try a new internal battery.. I'm very disappointed, I love video quality of this cam and I'm afraid it is dying .
P.S.
Sorry for my poor english
1. It sounds as if your battery is dying, but 15 mins. of buzzing seems a bit too long to me, so maybe the regulating circuitry is breaking up. Replacing the battery will tell the true story.

2. The USB requires 5V +/- 5% max., but I very much doubt your LiPo can supply a constant voltage of 5V under load. If you use external USB power you should use specially designed USB battery packs.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:32 AM
Padova, Italy
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
Quote:
1. It sounds as if your battery is dying, but 15 mins. of buzzing seems a bit too long to me, so maybe the regulating circuitry is breaking up. Replacing the battery will tell the true story.

2. The USB requires 5V +/- 5% max., but I very much doubt your LiPo can supply a constant voltage of 5V under load. If you use external USB power you should use specially designed USB battery packs.
Many thanks, Isoprop.
What do you think about a parallel connection with 2 lipos (the internal + one ext.) ?
Can I use a jst plug for ext battery, so for just few minutes records the internal lipo is enought, and for long time records plug the second battery ? It's dangerous ?
I have noticed during record the cam is very warm, I don't remember this few months ago..
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Many thanks, Isoprop.
What do you think about a parallel connection with 2 lipos (the internal + one ext.) ?
Can I use a jst plug for ext battery, so for just few minutes records the internal lipo is enought, and for long time records plug the second battery ? It's dangerous ?
I have noticed during record the cam is very warm, I don't remember this few months ago..
Parallel LiPos is a very bad idea! In the worst case you could blow up your #16's battery. There have been long discussions about this. Just don't take the risk.

If you know what you are doing, then an external LiPo in place (instead) of the internal LiPo is acceptable as long as your external LiPo includes the protection circuitry included in all #16 batteries.

If you are unsure or inexperienced with handling LiPos, then external USB power is the easiest (no need to open the camera) and safest method, especially when weight is not a problem. Very small external USB batteries (about the size of 4 AA cells) can supply power for over 10 hours of continuous recording.

It is normal that the camera becomes very warm during recording.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,380 Posts
Quote:
If you know what you are doing, then an external LiPo in place (instead) of the internal LiPo is acceptable as long as your external LiPo includes the protection circuitry included in all #16 batteries.
FWIW I don't use the protection circuit on my external lipos, but make sure to remove them after use and recharge to storage voltage. The #7 that I modified actually had a bad protection circuit, clamped to allow no current. I can power it from one cell of a lipo pack via the balance port or use the old lipo sans pc.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:28 AM
Padova, Italy
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
Just changed the battery, new record now is 28 mins; from 21 start buzzing.

Here's my idea. What about a microswitch to esclude manually internal lipo, and connect an ext battery ?
Look at my picture.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
FWIW I don't use the protection circuit on my external lipos, but make sure to remove them after use and recharge to storage voltage. The #7 that I modified actually had a bad protection circuit, clamped to allow no current. I can power it from one cell of a lipo pack via the balance port or use the old lipo sans pc.
The #11, at least the old model, relies in the protection circuit for charging with the "special" cable!!! It is the ONLY circuitry that controls the charging.

If you know what you are doing, you can obviously get away with virtually anything.

However, if you don't understand that LiPos mustn't be allowed to drain below a certain voltage and current must be limited while charging and a whole lot of other factors must be respected, then don't even think about connecting external LiPos without a protection circuit.

Obviously you know what you are doing and don't connect USB power while your external battery is connected - I dread to think what could happen if you did!

Another disadvantage is the RTC will be reset each time you disconnect the battery so your files, and possibly your video, will be incorrectly time-stamped. You would, therefore, have to set the date and time each time you recharge your battery. This may be acceptable for some people, but for me the whole process would be far too inconvenient.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Just changed the battery, new record now is 28 mins; from 21 start buzzing.

Here's my idea. What about a microswitch to esclude manually internal lipo, and connect an ext battery ?
Look at my picture.
Remember these cameras were designed to be powered by external USB power (5V). They were not designed to be run using an external LiPo in place of the standard LiPo. The whole charging circuitry would have to be redesigned, which I doubt would be feasible in so little space. And remember the RTC will be reset every time you disconnect the battery (see my previous post).

I'm sure you battery will give longer recording times once it has gone thru a few more charging cycles - as long as it is new.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:50 AM
Padova, Italy
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
Quote:
Remember these cameras were designed to be powered by external USB power (5V). They were not designed to be run using an external LiPo in place of the standard LiPo. The whole charging circuitry would have to be redesigned, which I doubt would be feasible in so little space. And remember the RTC will be reset every time you disconnect the battery (see my previous post).

I'm sure you battery will give longer recording times once it has gone thru a few more charging cycles - as long as it is new.
I don't understand difference from original 250mAh lipo and a 600mAh ext. one.
With my project I can use a bigger lipo, but I charge it with a dedicate charger, not with internal circuitry. When I switch from one to other battery, I'm not sure the RCT will be reset, because the disconnection time (I think) is very very short...or not ?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,494 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand difference from original 250mAh lipo and a 600mAh ext. one.
With my project I can use a bigger lipo, but I charge it with a dedicate charger, not with internal circuitry. When I switch from one to other battery, I'm not sure the RCT will be reset, because the disconnection time (I think) is very very short...or not ?
Assuming your 600mAh battery has the protection circuitry, which it must have if you ever connect the USB plug or the battery runs low, the large battery will take a lot longer to charge. If you use a dedicated charger, then that's fine - much better . Just don't let the external battery discharge too much if it doesn't have that circuitry built in.

The RTC will reset immediately it loses power. I doubt there are any large capacitors on board that will hold the power for more than a millisecond or two without a battery connected. I would expect a switch like you showed will disconnect the internal battery for at least 100ms, most probably longer, but it would also depend on how quickly you make the connection. These are just assumptions based on experience. Someone would have to try your switch idea first, but even if it worked, I would think it's still a hit-or-miss deal if the RTC resets or the camera's firmware may even "hang". But go ahead, prove me wrong
Last edited by Isoprop; Aug 08, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:01 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I would get the buzzing and fixed image when downloading some files.
But looking at the memory card directly on the computer, the scenes were there intact.
It was probably a bad connection in the USB cable.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
V2 - Restoring original firmware?

Hi,

I flushed this firmware:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9323
And I want the led off when recording.
Is it possible to configure it somehow? Is it possible to restore the original firmware for V2?

Thanks!
BlackBeret is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeret
Closed Thread