HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:17 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Tom has already spilled the beans and I know that a lot of people are eagerly awaiting the #16.

As most people who have been following this thread will already know, Tom has done an awful amount of testing on the upcoming #16. What nobody yet knows is that he has also found the time to help me design and polish up the GUI setup program for the #16. I honestly don't know how he has had the time to do all this work. He has been a wonderful help to me.

Anyway, I think the outcome is really great and will make configuring the #16 a piece of cake.

Tom and I are still tying up the last strings in the program and doing the final testing but I expect the program to be finished by the end of the week. The developer may also request some changes.

These are the highlights:
- Large fonts for easy reading.
- Built-in program Help.
- Tooltips which can be enabled or disabled.
- Fully integrated detailed user manual which can also be printed.
- Profile management for advanced users (different configurations).
- Ability to read the current settings from the Camera.
- Manage the camera's settings.
- No program setup required. Just download, unzip the single exe file, and run.

I can't guarantee that all the settings will be available in the final release, but things are looking very bright indeed. I'm sure Tom will soon be publishing more information. This is an absolutely fantastic camera which can't be beat in it's funtionality, size or price.

A picture says more than a thousand words, so here is a peek of what you can expect.

Can't wait!
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
What will the #16 cost?
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:00 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairadocs View Post
the strange thing is that the the audio will not play with VLC after i used windows movie maker to shorten a video.:confused
I have a similar problem in that edited clips (saved as .wmv from WLMM in Win7) play fine on the PC and YouTube, but I have no audio on other devices (Playstation 3 for example).

The original .mov plays back fine, as do other .wmvs I have created in the same way from WLMM (that were not video files from my #11 to start off with)
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub View Post
What will the #16 cost?
I recall Tom saying it was going to be similarly priced, but Tom Frank doesn't set the price.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
78 Posts
This config file doesn't support EV+- (Exposure value) yet
TrafalgarLaw is offline Find More Posts by TrafalgarLaw
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined May 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
This seems to be an issue mainly with the different Jumbo circuit board design, with the #11 normally only showing the buzzing artifact when writing the last few minutes of a recording, and the #16 does not show it at all! If you find a way to silence this on the Jumbo, please post it.
I forgot to mention that I was referring to a #11 normal size and not a jumbo
Giorg is offline Find More Posts by Giorg
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:42 PM
rogerx3
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Hello all
I've been reading this thread for some weeks now and finally have some input of (I hope) value to add.
Just received five 808 No 11's (1280x720) jumbo HD and have been busy testing them out with a view to modifying them to fit inside crash helmets. So far my tests show the record length at close and continue is approx 4GB and the time stamp is not active as advertised (can you tell from who I bought them yet). Any hoo, play back shows every fifth frame is duplicated i.e. the sixth frame is a copy of the fifth. I'll add more and even post my test video later. But for now... I'm happy with what i have function ect but was shocked at the size.. So small. It was my intention to (thanks to other posters) have remote buttons cam module ect to fit my requirements but now have to practice micro soldering. In closing fantastic thread.
rogerx3 is offline Find More Posts by rogerx3
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:09 PM
rogerx3
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
has anyone relocated the lens absolutely somewhere else? I found one google result and they essentially 'stretched' the ribbon cable by soldering wire to each lead individually and back to the board.

Is that it? I didn't see this (just the lens turn within the case) in any of the pg 1 links.
Hello Danpass
Yes there was a guy who made a snake camera out of some odd wires and it appeared to work although there is an impedance issue from the thread relating to this modification I think sub 8 inches may work and I think it was a No3. I'm planning on (have already purchased 5 off - flat ribbon 24 cable 0.5mm pitch) extending the camera module too and will post how I do it.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:25 PM
rogerx3
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
has anyone relocated the lens absolutely somewhere else? I found one google result and they essentially 'stretched' the ribbon cable by soldering wire to each lead individually and back to the board.

Is that it? I didn't see this (just the lens turn within the case) in any of the pg 1 links.
Hi Danpass
Here is the video info:-
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ma...-video-369309/
if it does not work google "808 snake cam".
Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:44 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
#16 Camera Update

OK guys and gals,

Here is the latest on the #16 camera:
  • It is expected to go on sale sometime next week... first at the eletoponline365 eBay web site, followed by others listed in Post #2 as time goes by.
  • Price should stay at nominal $US40, which includes the camera and a standard USB cable (not sure if that includes the car charger plug).
  • A couple of expected features will not be released just yet:
    • VGA (60 fps) mode is broken. It does pump out 60 fps, but it is just a frame-doubled version, so motion is no smoother than a 30 fps version and offers no real value to most users. The video processor IC claims VGA 60 fps output capability, so efforts are still going on with the chip supplier to find out what is going on and if there is a fix. When it works at a true unique 60 fps, it will be incorporated in a future firmware release.
    • The alternative AVI output firmware which enables "seamless" recording works, but is a "non-standard" AVI container implementation. Therefore, it will only be distributed on request "for testing purposes only".

The reason is the AVI file plays fine in most players, but if the playback is stopped, the player may lose key data to resume playing, and the user needs to restart the video to play it again. And editing is even worse (those who have the JAZZ HDV178 camcorder can relate to this). The very first frame of the clip contains important play back information, and cannot be trimmed from the video or all playability is lost. Similarly for seeking and midclip trimming. Some editors can manage this by storing the key first frame data in memory, allowing full trimming, but most of the freebie editors do not do this (like Vdub, Avidemux, etc.) The work around is to either always keep the first frame intact, or re-encode the native clips into new .AVI (or other) file containers before doing any editing. This pretty much defeats the purpose of this firmware since re-packaging the old .MOV file format into .AVI conatiners Can be done fast and with no re-encoding using the MP4cam2AVI.exe conversio utility. That said, the seamless recording does work, but requires buffering of the video at the clip junctions. This produces about 1 sec. of overlapped frames on adjacent clips in my testing. So you can't just join all the clips together to get smooth playing at the clip segment splice points... you'd need to match up the clip frames or trim off an exact time segments to get perfect registration of frames and smooth transition across the splice.

So, if you absolutely need seamless recording and can tolerate the hassle with the current AVI file structure, the firmware can be made available to you. For the rest of you, it's not going to add any value.

If the AVI container can be put into more standard format to allow easy editing, this firmware version would get broader distribution. The ovelap at clip junctions will most likely always exist, though, since it's there to accomodate different card write speeds.
  • There will be no written user guide sent with the cameras (at least initially). The vendors are supposed to have emailable versions prepared, but the EXCELLENT GUI Configuration Utility program that you just saw introduced by Isoporp several posts back, you will have all you need. A very comprehensive user manual for the camera as well as the GUI program are included in the Help resource built into the GUI. The goal is to have the finiashing touches added to GUI in time for the camera's release.
We are doing final testing to confirm squashing of a random corrupted video file bug, and so far it looks OK. SO... check back here or on the ebay vendor site listed above for release confirmation.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairadocs View Post
Tom,

thank you for your suggestions.

turns out that one of your suggestions did help.

the audio will play with VLC.

the strange thing is that the the audio will not play with VLC after i used windows movie maker to shorten a video.

again,

thank you.

any further suggestions on how to make shortened clips audio play would be great. sorry if i'm asking too much. PM if you want, anyone
Does the audio from the native video work when you load it into WMM? If not, you may have a corrupted or missing audio codec in WMM necessary to play and output the audio in its edited file. Or, you could have WMM set to turn off the audio when it outputs the file? VLC has most all needed video and audio codecs built into it, so I don't see any other way for the audio to not be reproduced unless VLC has a corrupted codec file (you could download latest version and reinstall to fix that).
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
I have a similar problem in that edited clips (saved as .wmv from WLMM in Win7) play fine on the PC and YouTube, but I have no audio on other devices (Playstation 3 for example).

The original .mov plays back fine, as do other .wmvs I have created in the same way from WLMM (that were not video files from my #11 to start off with)
If I understand you correctly, you can play WLMM created videos fine through your PS3, EXCEPT for those #11 .MOV files imported into WLMM. Have you confirmed that other .MOV files from a different camera convert and play OK through your PS3? If so, it sounds like some magic atom in the #11 .MOV file is being lost or corrupted and not implemented in the WMV file that the PS3 can properly decode.

I don't have a solution, but would try this trick: change the file extension on the #11 file from ".MOV" to ".MP4", and process that file with WLMM. This trick sometime performs magic when .mov files don't import or play properly. I haven't a clue whether it makes any difference for your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try it.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorg View Post
I forgot to mention that I was referring to a #11 normal size and not a jumbo
OH, the #11 should not do that. May be a little late, but have you raised the issue with your Ebay vendor and tried to get a replacement?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerx3 View Post
... Any hoo, play back shows every fifth frame is duplicated i.e. the sixth frame is a copy of the fifth.
Are your tests being done indoors or outside in dark, overcast conditions? That dropped frame pattern is not uncommon for video shot indoors or even outdoors in low light with the #11.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
OK guys and gals,

Here is the latest on the #16 camera:
  • It is expected to go on sale sometime next week... first at the eletoponline365 eBay web site, followed by others listed in Post #2 as time goes by.
  • Price should stay at nominal $US40, which includes the camera and a standard USB cable (not sure if that includes the car charger plug).
  • A couple of expected features will not be released just yet:
    • VGA (60 fps) mode is broken. It does pump out 60 fps, but it is just a frame-doubled version, so motion is no smoother than a 30 fps version and offers no real value to most users. The video processor IC claims VGA 60 fps output capability, so efforts are still going on with the chip supplier to find out what is going on and if there is a fix. When it works at a true unique 60 fps, it will be incorporated in a future firmware release.
    • The alternative AVI output firmware which enables "seamless" recording works, but is a "non-standard" AVI container implementation. Therefore, it will only be distributed on request "for testing purposes only".

The reason is the AVI file plays fine in most players, but if the playback is stopped, the player may lose key data to resume playing, and the user needs to restart the video to play it again. And editing is even worse (those who have the JAZZ HDV178 camcorder can relate to this). The very first frame of the clip contains important play back information, and cannot be trimmed from the video or all playability is lost. Similarly for seeking and midclip trimming. Some editors can manage this by storing the key first frame data in memory, allowing full trimming, but most of the freebie editors do not do this (like Vdub, Avidemux, etc.) The work around is to either always keep the first frame intact, or re-encode the native clips into new .AVI (or other) file containers before doing any editing. This pretty much defeats the purpose of this firmware since re-packaging the old .MOV file format into .AVI conatiners Can be done fast and with no re-encoding using the MP4cam2AVI.exe conversio utility. That said, the seamless recording does work, but requires buffering of the video at the clip junctions. This produces about 1 sec. of overlapped frames on adjacent clips in my testing. So you can't just join all the clips together to get smooth playing at the clip segment splice points... you'd need to match up the clip frames or trim off an exact time segments to get perfect registration of frames and smooth transition across the splice.

So, if you absolutely need seamless recording and can tolerate the hassle with the current AVI file structure, the firmware can be made available to you. For the rest of you, it's not going to add any value.

If the AVI container can be put into more standard format to allow easy editing, this firmware version would get broader distribution. The ovelap at clip junctions will most likely always exist, though, since it's there to accomodate different card write speeds.
  • There will be no written user guide sent with the cameras (at least initially). The vendors are supposed to have emailable versions prepared, but the EXCELLENT GUI Configuration Utility program that you just saw introduced by Isoporp several posts back, you will have all you need. A very comprehensive user manual for the camera as well as the GUI program are included in the Help resource built into the GUI. The goal is to have the finiashing touches added to GUI in time for the camera's release.
We are doing final testing to confirm squashing of a random corrupted video file bug, and so far it looks OK. SO... check back here or on the ebay vendor site listed above for release confirmation.

Wow, I hope the manufacturer is paying you for all this consulting.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread