HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:13 AM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Ok! COOL ! Thank you ! My cam mount will most likely be in the " on its edge" side mount position. and the Vid 90 degrees tilted from "normal view". Its an extra step to do to make to make good vids , but for the ease of user interface with the cam , It really has to be that way . I hate to have to turn my flat screen on its side to watch some of these vids that were shot 90 degrees out . Anyone else done that ? How agravating! Argggg ! LOL !
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:42 AM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
348 Posts
Anyone want to sell a Good #11 ?

OK, I've been reading this thread for a couple hours. I read some of the first few pages then skipped ahead 50 pages, read more etc.
I see there are some potential problems with these cameras. Problems I really don't want to try to correct with my arthritic thumbs (re-focusing the lens) and not real good at root files etc.
Does anyone want to sell their #11 camera that already has the date stamp removed and refocused for long distances? Perhaps has the updated firmware etc?
I think this is probably like a lot of new things we try. It is new and exciting for a while then the newness wears off. The camera probably sits around more than it is used... If you have one laying around collecting dust, I would like to know how much you want for it.
You can PM me or send a direct email to dstolarc at yahoo.com
Thanks !
Danford1
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:55 AM
Joined Sep 2011
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If that is for a Jumbo, yes, way below normal. But for the small #11 that is in the normal range (40 min. + or - ).
It's the small one. I wrote the seller an email and hopefully they will give me a USB charge cable that I can try. That should hopefully work
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:57 AM
Joined Sep 2011
679 Posts
Is it possible to just block off the middle wires on the USB end that connects to the computer with some tape? Will it go into "charging only" mode then?

I have a wall charger for my Desire HD - 1 amp 5v output. It has a USB connector in it. This USB cable can be used for charging in the wall or data if plugged into the computer. The cable that comes with the Desire HD is Micro-USB. Can I just plug in a mini-USB cable into this charger to charge my 808?

What does the reset button do exactly? Do I need to have it fully charged, camera on and press and hold the reset button and wait for some lights?

It does seem that the battery might be from a bad batch since the LED lights up but doesn't take a charge with 500ma. It needs 1000ma+ it seems. The old car charger (that I use) has 1100ma+ (can't remember exactly) charge rate. If you guys give the OK I will test out with the 1000 ma Desire HD wall charger, and see if there is enough ma to get it up to a full charge and I will run the recording test again.
Last edited by beamen; Sep 14, 2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:39 AM
Joined Sep 2011
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danford1 View Post
OK, I've been reading this thread for a couple hours. I read some of the first few pages then skipped ahead 50 pages, read more etc.
I see there are some potential problems with these cameras. Problems I really don't want to try to correct with my arthritic thumbs (re-focusing the lens) and not real good at root files etc.
Does anyone want to sell their #11 camera that already has the date stamp removed and refocused for long distances? Perhaps has the updated firmware etc?
I think this is probably like a lot of new things we try. It is new and exciting for a while then the newness wears off. The camera probably sits around more than it is used... If you have one laying around collecting dust, I would like to know how much you want for it.
Thanks !
Danford1
Dude, it's CHEAP. It's a $38 camera. You have it laying around and use it when you need it. I don't think I will use mine a lot but it sure is nice to have when you need it.

Just buy a camera and if you don't want to mess around with it (it doesn't work 100% as advertised) then return it and get another one.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:25 AM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Hi,

is Ped Products only salesman who sale that 808 camera mounting kit?
I ordered 2 pieces of those, and he did said that they don't do those but only sale...

edit:
when does the 4gb S/S/C firmware is working correctly?
HarriK is offline Find More Posts by HarriK
Last edited by HarriK; Sep 14, 2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
My cam turns itself off after 15 mn of recording, is it a software related problem or something more serious, I did the upgrade to correct the date & time.

Thanks.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Is it possible to just block off the middle wires on the USB end that connects to the computer with some tape? Will it go into "charging only" mode then?

I have a wall charger for my Desire HD - 1 amp 5v output. It has a USB connector in it. This USB cable can be used for charging in the wall or data if plugged into the computer. The cable that comes with the Desire HD is Micro-USB. Can I just plug in a mini-USB cable into this charger to charge my 808?

What does the reset button do exactly? Do I need to have it fully charged, camera on and press and hold the reset button and wait for some lights?

It does seem that the battery might be from a bad batch since the LED lights up but doesn't take a charge with 500ma. It needs 1000ma+ it seems. The old car charger (that I use) has 1100ma+ (can't remember exactly) charge rate. If you guys give the OK I will test out with the 1000 ma Desire HD wall charger, and see if there is enough ma to get it up to a full charge and I will run the recording test again.
Like Tom has mentioned, there are TWO charging circuits in the #11. The main circuit uses standard USB wiring, i.e. pin #4 is not connected.
The charge and record circuit uses the "special" cable. Pin #1, 2 and 3 are NOT connected, Pin #4 is +5V and pin #5 is ground (earth).

But I'm a bit . Is the battery charger that we have been talking about the ORIGINAL battery charger supplied with the camera? If it is not, then most of what has been discussed so far does not hold true.

For charging the #11 correctly, you must use either a vanilla standard USB cable (Pin #4 on the mini-USB side must not be connected) or the supplied "special" cable (Only pin #4 and pin #5 connected). We don't know how cables designed for other devices are wired, so please don't use them.

Blocking off (cutting) the middle two wires won't help at all. If you don't have a multimeter, there is no way of telling if pin #4 at the mini-usb end is connected or not. You MUST have the correct cable. I'm sure you can find a standard cable locally for a dollar or two. Your #11 seller can most probably sell you the "special" cable if you need it for continuous recording and charging.

I can't emphasize how important it is that you know exactly what cable you are using. The USB charger is not the problem, it's the cable that matters.

The reset button.
My experiments show that the reset button doesn't do much at all. I believe that it's only function is to force the camera into standby ("off") mode. It can happen that the camera gets into a "loop" for some reason while in the "on" state (I can confirm that this does happen). Pressing any of the other two buttons won't have any effect. However, if you press the reset button you will force the camera into the standby ("off") state.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danford1 View Post
Thanks !
Danford1
The lens can't (unfortunately!) be manually focused any more on the new models. I ruined one of my cameras trying to do this.

If you tell the seller exactly what you want (no timestamp, continuous recording, etc.) I'm sure he will update the firmware accordingly before shipping. They are very obliging.

You will most probably still want to set the time. I have written a REALLY simple program (2 mouse clicks and 2 camera button clicks) which you can download here, or another one with a few more options which you can download here. You don't need to know anything about root files if you use these programs to set the time. First original link, Second original link.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Sep 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
It's the small one. I wrote the seller an email and hopefully they will give me a USB charge cable that I can try. That should hopefully work
Based on your prior posts, I don't think the cables are the problem as long as you are using the ones that came with the camera.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
My cam turns itself off after 15 mn of recording, is it a software related problem or something more serious, I did the upgrade to correct the date & time.

Thanks.
It could just be a weak or not fully charge battery. If your 15 min. video had intermittant buzzing sounds at 1 second intervals, it low battery voltage. If you charged the battery until the red LED turned off, and get only 15 min. of video with those buzzing sounds at the end, your battery is most likely weak and needs to be replaced.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
679 Posts
Thanks Isoprop and Tom Frank.

Isoprop, yes I have been using the supplied car charger which works. I am just seeing if I can figure out different options with the devices I have at home.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriK View Post
Hi,

is Ped Products only salesman who sale that 808 camera mounting kit?
I ordered 2 pieces of those, and he did said that they don't do those but only sale...

edit:
when does the 4gb S/S/C firmware is working correctly?
I have no idea about the mounting kit you reference. Try the "Mega Keychain camera" for this... might be more info there.

The 4GB firmware will get here when it gets here... and it may never get here. When it does, I'll post it.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
Österreich, Wien
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
really nice thread, with a lot of helpful hints in it !
i have a question:
i bought a jumbo hd 808 #11 and a wide angle lens (0,67x) and i want to use it for mountainbiking, mounted on the helmet. My problem is, i don't know how to mount the wide angle lens to the jumbo cam. Is there a similar solution, like the TicTac box for the normal hd 808 ? i don't want to glue it on the jumbo case because i am afraid of getting glue on the lens, also the jumbo case couldn't be opened anymore if the lens is glued to it.

any ideas what sort of case i could use?

sry for my english, it's not my native language.
_dave_ is offline Find More Posts by _dave_
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
516 Posts
808 #11 pan and tilt on J-power p-38

I set up a pan and tilt mount for my little 808 #11 last weekend. It's a two man operation. One flies the plane and one operates the pan and tilt. Here are the results.

Pan and tilt camera on R/C plane (6 min 15 sec)
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
Last edited by Randbo39; Sep 14, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Closed Thread