Closed Thread
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:57 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
So using the supplied car charger connected to a 3s lipo will not allow record/stop/save/continue without modification is that correct?
Very simply put, if you connect the positive output of the 3S lipo pack to the TIP of the cigarettle lighter plug, and then connect the negative output of the lipo pack to the CORRECT one of the two side contacts on the lighter plug, it will work just as if it was plugged into the car cigarette lighter socket. It's important to note here that there are two contacts on the side of the plug on the car charger, but only ONE of them is actually connected to internal ground. The other is not connected to anything, so if you get the wrong one, you'll notice that the red LED on the charger will stay dark. You know you've got it right when the red LED lights up.

I tested it, and it works fine. The only problem is that of course it's bulky and awkward. The whole system can be made far more compact and elegant.

Note that when using the car charger, the red charging light on the camera will NEVER come on, period, no matter how you power the charger. This is normal operation because this type of charger is using a different circuit inside the camera to charge and run the camera at the same time. Seems bizarre to me that it is wired the way it is, considering that most USB-charged devices can run and charge at the same time anymore, but whatever works.

You know... With a little ingenuity, a tiny LED could be added to the camera casing with a little series resistor, and provide at least an indication of applied power, so that you know that things are working. Maybe I'll do that too.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:32 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
Why is the audio all broken up when i play a video made with the key cam in Avidemux?
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:40 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR_66 View Post
Why is the audio all broken up when i play a video made with the key cam in Avidemux?
It should only do that in the editor. When you output the file (with an audio codec compatible with the file container type), the sound should play properly. Do you have an example where this is not the case?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:57 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster View Post
Nice kozy. I actually thought of doing this (vacuuforming a case) back when the tic tac box was being discussed.

I had a problem with snow collecting in the lens opening on landings and this would have prevented that. You should do another piece that snaps into the bottom to make it flat on the bottom and stiffen it up. You should also send me one.

Nice job.
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:44 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
496 Posts
I have alot more respect for people who design packaging cuz it wasnt that ez to design and make...Its form fit so it doesnt rattle around and buttons can be pushed without removing the cam...I think the video is pretty good concidering its recording thru plastic...thanks lostheli...I did make some with flat bottoms but camera needs to be held to top...There should be many uses for these kam-kozys...in michigan if it isnt snowing...its raining!
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:52 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
I have alot more respect for people who design packaging cuz it wasnt that ez to design and make...Its form fit so it doesnt rattle around and buttons can be pushed without removing the cam...I think the video is pretty good concidering its recording thru plastic...thanks lostheli...I did make some with flat bottoms but camera needs to be held to top...There should be many uses for these kam-kozys...in michigan if it isnt snowing...its raining!

What you talking about hasn't snowed here for two days now.. Driveway is even dry right now.. Or was a couple of minutes ago anyway...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:23 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Love it, very good quality through the plastic.

I wish I'd had one before my nose-first venture into a muddy field. It wasn't wet, only soft mud, but I can't believe how much managed to find its way into my cam.

With the big plastic lip, how will you mount it on your plane?
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:57 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The camera can be charged by any standard USB source. This includes:
- USB mains adapters, e.g. mobile phone chargers, navigation chargers, USB chargers, etc.
- USB standard car battery chargers
- USB backup batteries designed to power/charge mobile phones, navigation devices, etc.
- USB computer connection
Just additional data point, the camera adapter for the iPad allows connection of USB devices, but even if the camera is fully charged, the iPad disconnects the camera immediately stating that it draws too much current. What happens is that it always tries to charge, even if it is fully charged, for just a few seconds.

You can, though, pull the microSD card out and use it in an adapter using the SD card attachment. Unfortunately, the videos cannot be played on the iPad.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:15 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Just additional data point, the camera adapter for the iPad allows connection of USB devices, but even if the camera is fully charged, the iPad disconnects the camera immediately stating that it draws too much current. What happens is that it always tries to charge, even if it is fully charged, for just a few seconds.

You can, though, pull the microSD card out and use it in an adapter using the SD card attachment. Unfortunately, the videos cannot be played on the iPad.
..a
This just blows me away! This minute camera draws too much power charging a 250mAh battery??!! Either your iPad USB port is defective or so sub-standard it is not good for much of anything useful. And for the iPad not to play a .MOV file, an Apple STANDARD, is just... well... I'll leave it at that!

Sorry to be so critical, but I've read too many comments from Apple fans whenever a problem is mentioned about a Windows PC, they say "Get a MAC!"
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 04, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:35 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
And for the iPad not to play a .MOV file, an Apple STANDARD, is just... well... I'll leave it at that!
I doubt this camera produces files that truly comply with Apple's Standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Sorry to be so critical, but I've read too many comments from Apple fans whenever a problem is mentioned about a Windows PC, they say "Get a MAC!"
An iPad is NOT a Mac.

iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch's standard video playing capabilities are limited (even supporting a limited number of resolutions). There are two solutions:
1. Convert the video files on your desktop PC (or Mac) to MP4 specific for iOS (Mpeg Streamclip does this quickly and perfectly)
2. Use a different app on your iDevice to play the files. VLC was good (and free) but was pulled from the Appstore because a killjoy developer of the desktop VLC objected. Possible alternatives include BUZZ Player and OPlayer (I haven't tried either of these myself, so cannot vouch for their suitability).
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:38 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
Love it, very good quality through the plastic.

I wish I'd had one before my nose-first venture into a muddy field. It wasn't wet, only soft mud, but I can't believe how much managed to find its way into my cam.

With the big plastic lip, how will you mount it on your plane?
Thanks...I wont be using it on my plane but im sure it could be attached with a rubber band somehow...this summer im getting into rc boats...so it needs to be 100% water proof...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post

..a
Like Tom, I can't believe this!! So you are saying that even when the battery is (partially) discharged your iPad can't charge this tiny camera? Can the iPad charge other devices - I doubt it.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have an iPad to test this, but if you can confirm this, then I'll certainly add it to the post in question.

BTW, today I added more information about the car battery charger to the post in question - if I've forgotten something please post.
I hope to cover the Emergency battery charger next week - but I have tons of information on that...
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:11 PM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,230 Posts
Quote:
My wife has a V1 iPad, I'm forbidden to touch it - she's afraid I'll load it up

These are the video specs - looks like the bit rate capability is lower than these cameras produce

Support for 1024 x 768 with Dock Connector to VGA adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component A/V Cable, 576i and 480i with Apple Composite Cable
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:

An iPad is NOT a Mac.
Of course an iPad is not a Mac, but it is an Apple. You'd think they would given the state of the art iPad a modest USB 2.0 port with half the standard 500 mA capability as a minimum, enough to charge the camera battery at 1C. Maybe iPad2 that was just released has addressed this, and other HD play issues?

Anyway, I think you are right about the non-standard .MOV file. Although I can play and edit the camera's native .MOV file just fine on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC, when I simply re-package it via a direct stream copy into an .AVI container, no video comes through on virtually all player/editing programs on my Windows box... only audio. I've tried this with a couple of different re-packaging programs, and I know I have all the necessary codecs, so it is a packaging problem. The only program on a Windows box I've found that can get any video with the direct stream copy .AVI file is the VLC player, which seems to overlook whatever inconsistencies there are and go right to the video stream content.

A direct stream copy of the camera's .MOV file into an .MP4 container DOES copy, play, and edit perfectly, though. I wish they had implemented the camera's native file format as a more universal .MP4 file format to begin with, or even .AVI format for that matter.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
These are the video specs - looks like the bit rate capability is lower than these cameras produce
OK, it's the processing power of the CPU that's the bottlneck, and not the .MOV file itself more than likely. The iPad 2 has a more powerful processor and touts 1280x720 video, so maybe that's one reason they so quickly released the iPad2? Anyway, I'll stop... don't want get this thread off on a tanget.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 04, 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spellig
Closed Thread