to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Nice video Tom. Did you also discover your new camera is slightly larger? Yesterday I mounted them side by side (old versus new), and I was wondering why one camera was at a slightly higher position.... Closer inspection learned that the new camera has a bigger shell! The camera is about 25% more thick. No problem of course, but quite interesting.

Because I was surprised by the sharper images from my new camera, I tweaked the focus of my older one. Now they both have the same sharpness! The focus was beyond infinity!
I had not noticed any difference in thickness. I don't have my old one to compare, but I do have a couple of #3 808's. I can see a very slight difference compared to those, but nothing like 25%... maybe 1mm is all.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Are you guys saying there is a new version of the HD camera thats a tiny bit thicker and gives better image quality? That's what it sounds like, but I've found no other mention of it.

I do like my HD keycam a lot, but have still been unable to find a way to expand the fov as wide as I could get on the original keycam, without causing lots of blurring on the edges, or lots of distortion..
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:42 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I had not noticed any difference in thickness. I don't have my old one to compare, but I do have a couple of #3 808's. I can see a very slight difference compared to those, but nothing like 25%... maybe 1mm is all.
I measured the thickness of mine (circa December 2010) in the front near the lens opening, it was 12.32 mm. I cannot measure the middle because of the velcro I have iinstalled there. It's glued in placed and I choose NOT to remove it to measure the thickness in that area.

If the newer ones come with a thicker plastic case it would make sense because when I took mine apart to adjust focus the electronics just barely fit back in.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 13, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,871 Posts
Useful Filters in AviDemux Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Hi Tom,
I've also had a look at your before and after vid. I noticed that when your over the golf course about 8 or 10 seconds in the camera's natural colour balance hunting is not so apparent. Have you corrected this deliberately or is it not so noticeable because of the saturation and contrast adjustments you have made?

Also, I would appreciate it if you could provide details on exactly which filters you used and their numerical settings. I think I recall you saying you use the asharp filter but for the others (saturation and contrast) I'm not sure.

I notice that the "mplayer eq2" filter provides fine adjustment - you might want to have a look at that one.

Here are a couple of my own vids using 2 HD keychain cams (they have a slight software sharpness adjustment and nothing else) :
If anyone wants to have a look at the video quality more closely then here are the original files I uploaded.

http://depositfiles.com/files/1ralk2krd
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/q9kzce2e1

Thanks

Simon
Hi Simon,

This replacement camera seems like it has better color balance ability. This is a subjective opinion since I don't have my original one to do a side by side comparison. But I do have separate AV clips shot with each camera, and the old one would go in/out of color saturation/contrast changes when the horizon was barely in view and the plane dipped or banked very slightly to bring a tiny bit more sky into the frame. It was overly sensitive, making faster, bigger adjustment steps. The new camera did not do this nearly as much in the "Eagle" video, but instead seemed to just vary the brightness most of the time, keeping the same relative color saturation and contrast. I like that much better than the original camera. Maybe I'm imagining this, but if it appears that way, it IS that way to my eye!

On the down side, this newer CMOS sensor seems to have visibly LESS low light sensitivity, so I'm seeing more noise in indoor clips than I saw with the older one. But this lower light sensitivity might be partially responsible for the better white balance and color swings in AV video?

FWIW, I have ask MyCameraGal about the different sensor in the newer cameras, and should have a reply back in a day or two.

Both of my HD key cams have the color saturation and contrast set too high for my eye. While the videos look more vivid this way, they also look less true to the real life scene. Some prefer the more vivid look, but I'm not one. So, I use the very same filter you mentioned, "Mplayer eq2", to adjust to my taste and my camera's output. I can do all the color tweaks with just that one filter. I also apply the "Asharp" sharpness filter. If the scene is very low light with very visible noise, I will also apply the "Mplayer hqdn3d" denoise filter first. The sharpness filter can make noise more noticeable, too, so if needed, the denoise filter should be applied first and stacked above the sharpness filter in the AviDemux filter selection window. Finally, if I had the camera mounted inverted such as was the case in the Eagle video, I will apply the rotate filter first to correct orientation. Those are the only filters I found necessary for my needs so far.

Some unexpected side benefits of applying the color/contrast correction and sharpness filters is that the orangish "hot spot" that can often be seen in the center of the video frame all but disappears, the corner/edge darkening is also very visibly decreased, and some of the detail hidden in darker, shady areas is revealed. Use of these filters will increase the encoding time, of course, and for a 10-15 minute AV, there's some wait time to go have a cold one, read the forums posts, etc.

Here are the filters and settings used in the Eagle video, with a screen shot of the filter selection window:

Filter Category/Name: Settings

Transform/Rotate (if needed): 180 deg.
Colors/Mplayer eq2: Contrast 90, Brightness 0, Saturation 65
Noise/Mplayer hqdn3d: default settings
Sharpness/Asharp: default settings

To complete my settings, I always use MPEG-4AVC video codec, set for 2-Pass Average Bit Rate output with 7000 Mbps, MP3 (lame) audio, in MP4 container (screen shot below):
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 13, 2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: slight reformatting
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:20 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the detailed info.

I've got a mk1 (blue lens) and mk2 (red lens) and I concur, the mk2 has more noise in low light conditions. I also noticed that the mk2 was very neatly glued and the lens nice and central to it hole in the case, whereas my mk1 was rather botched with hot glue and off centre.

Simon
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:00 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
I'm scared to try to take off the time stamp
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:29 PM
USA, CA, Canyon Country
Joined Apr 2009
144 Posts
I'm embarrassed to ask but, here goes. Today I attached (Velcro) my newly acquired HD key chain camera to the underside of the mid-wing on my Radian Pro. I did not want to show the prop. The plane flew well with no ill effects from the camera. I came home to review the video and it's upside down

Is there any way to turn it 180 degrees or...do I need to attach it to the top of the wing instead

Dan
AH-56 is offline Find More Posts by AH-56
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:34 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-56 View Post
I'm embarrassed to ask but, here goes. Today I attached (Velcro) my newly acquired HD key chain camera to the underside of the mid-wing on my Radian Pro. I did not want to show the prop. The plane flew well with no ill effects from the camera. I came home to review the video and it's upside down

Is there any way to turn it 180 degrees or...do I need to attach it to the top of the wing instead

Dan
Fly your Radian upside down (they will).

But if you don't want to do that, there is a flip (maybe 90 degrees at a time, I don't remember) in Windows Movie Maker and also Live Windows Movie Maker.

I don't recall but Tom may have mentioned that you can do it with Avidemux or whatever it's called also.

Yabba

BTW, all my Radian videos were taken with the keyfob on the top of the wing, just forward of the high point so the camera would angle downward a little bit.

Click on my Avitar andd the first two videos are taken with a keyfob on top of the wing with a Radian

Y.
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Feb 13, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:10 PM
USA, CA, Canyon Country
Joined Apr 2009
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Fly your Radian upside down (they will).

But if you don't want to do that, there is a flip (maybe 90 degrees at a time, I don't remember) in Windows Movie Maker and also Live Windows Movie Maker.

I don't recall but Tom may have mentioned that you can do it with Avidemux or whatever it's called also.

Yabba

BTW, all my Radian videos were taken with the keyfob on the top of the wing, just forward of the high point so the camera would angle downward a little bit.

Click on my Avitar andd the first two videos are taken with a keyfob on top of the wing with a Radian

Y.
Yabba,

Thanks for the info. I'll try WMM as soon as I find some software to correctly convert a .mov file to an .avi file. I've tried serveral and all it converts is the audio - not the video

Next try will be on top of the wing

Dan
AH-56 is offline Find More Posts by AH-56
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the detailed info.

I've got a mk1 (blue lens) and mk2 (red lens) and I concur, the mk2 has more noise in low light conditions. I also noticed that the mk2 was very neatly glued and the lens nice and central to it hole in the case, whereas my mk1 was rather botched with hot glue and off centre.

Simon
My MK2 has a blue lens, so I don't think the coating is a way to ID them visually. My lens was also very well glued in with hot melt, and aligned straight ahead, but not well centered in the case hole (but not obscured by the case, so not a problem). The different ribbon cable and the nymber stamp on it is probably the only way to ID the MK2.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR_66 View Post
I'm scared to try to take off the time stamp
If you bought it within the last couple of months, I don't think you need to be concerned. Any camera that has been bricked by the process (only two reported here) have been replaced by the vendors.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:15 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:

Dan

Yeah Dan, try it. It really works well with the Radian. I mount mine about 8 or 9 inches out from the fuse and don't get any of the prop arc from that position. I don't think the Radian even knows it's carrying a camera

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Yabba,

Thanks for the info. I'll try WMM as soon as I find some software to correctly convert a .mov file to an .avi file. I've tried serveral and all it converts is the audio - not the video

Dan
Check the post 1505, it's just a little bit above
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Yeah Dan, try it. It really works well with the Radian. I mount mine about 8 or 9 inches out from the fuse and don't get any of the prop arc from that position. I don't think the Radian even knows it's carrying a camera

Yabba
Mine is mounted about 7.5 inches out from the fuse on my radian. For balance, I put a quarter on the bottom of the opposite wing near the tip. I built a jig that shows me the camera's field of view both vertically and horizontally. Since my cams get mounted on a lot of things besides aircraft and with the jig I can keep unwanted stuff out of the camera's view.
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Closed Thread