SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2003, 09:03 PM
Joined Jul 2003
73 Posts
E-Zipper / E-Raider building tips (request)

I just pulled the trigger on ordering a WingWarrior E-Zipper MkII kit. I'm upgrading from a Zagi 400X, which I have outgrown. I'm really excited to get the Zipper, as it should be a blast to fly compared to the Zagi.

I'm posting this because I'd like to know what building tips there are for the Zipper. I learned quite a lot building my first Zagi, and applied that knowledge to the second one that I built. I'd like to start with some inside info from those that have built a Zipper. Any hints/tricks that will enhance it? What would you do differently if you were to build another one?

Is there a trick to burying the control rods? I want this one to look much cleaner than my current Zagi.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
dodgeboy is offline Find More Posts by dodgeboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2003, 01:56 AM
Toronto, ON Canada
Joined Jul 2002
877 Posts
Hey Dodgeboy - you're gonna love your new toy (I just got back from flying my New E-zipper MKII - This thing is fun!)

Anyway - I don't know anything about burying control rods. If you've built& repaired a Zagi before, it's pretty much the same.
The Electronics installation is pretty much the same (reverse motor, reverse prop).

The battery bay I found a little tricky, as it was my first plane with a bay. I found my battery fit easily, but there's little room for extra battery cable - So I cut the speed controller cable to come in the back right of the bay and had it join the battery connector at about the halfway point - I just removed a little from the back of the bay.

The rest is pretty easy and Tom @ Wingwarrior even E-mailed pics to me when I had questions - Great service on his part.

I had a hard time launching it it first ( I just couldn' get a good grip on it. My fix was to put (2) finger cups on the bottom for my thumb & fourth finger, and I put my index finger in the gap between the TE & the motor. I now just give it a hard level toss and off she goes!

Enjoy the new Zipper - If you have any build questions, feel free to ask!.
Helicool is offline Find More Posts by Helicool
Old Jul 29, 2003, 05:59 PM
Fly like an... airplane?
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
683 Posts
Heli, could you post pics showing what these finger cups look like? i just ordered an ERaider from Tom @ Wing Warrior. just in case i've got problems launching too (i wouldn't doubt it) the info on the f.cups would be helpful.

thanx

mike
mike98624 is offline Find More Posts by mike98624
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:30 PM
Toronto, ON Canada
Joined Jul 2002
877 Posts
My digicam is a little squirly right now..... Gimmie a day or two (after all, I have that big Rolling Stones show Tomorrow - I'm a five minute walk away!)
Helicool is offline Find More Posts by Helicool
Old Jul 30, 2003, 06:07 AM
Fly like an... airplane?
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
683 Posts
lol no prob man!
Old Aug 01, 2003, 08:59 AM
Joined Jul 2003
73 Posts
I think I figured out the best way to bury my control rods: Gold-N-Rods. I bought 2 sets (one flexible, one semi-flexible) yesterday and plan to use them in the Zipper.

So far, I have the wings glued with the spar installed, and also the motor mount attached. I haven't had much time to work on it, and I have to wait for the brushless motor/controller before I get too far anyway.

What does your completed plane weigh? I'm looking for a target weight, since I will be modifying mine. I don't want to go heavier than I should.

Also, did you put on all of the fiber tape that is suggested in the manual? It looks like it calls for an excessive amount of tape, compared to my Zagi.

I plan on burying .188 carbon fiber rod along each of the leading edges, to eliminate flap and strengthen the nose.

Did you have any problems with CG?

Do you have any pics of your plane yet? I'm very interested to see how yours turned out, as I haven't seen any other good pics of a compelted Zipper (the wing warrior pics are pretty small).

Thanks!

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Helicool
Hey Dodgeboy - you're gonna love your new toy (I just got back from flying my New E-zipper MKII - This thing is fun!)

Anyway - I don't know anything about burying control rods. If you've built& repaired a Zagi before, it's pretty much the same.
The Electronics installation is pretty much the same (reverse motor, reverse prop).

The battery bay I found a little tricky, as it was my first plane with a bay. I found my battery fit easily, but there's little room for extra battery cable - So I cut the speed controller cable to come in the back right of the bay and had it join the battery connector at about the halfway point - I just removed a little from the back of the bay.

The rest is pretty easy and Tom @ Wingwarrior even E-mailed pics to me when I had questions - Great service on his part.

I had a hard time launching it it first ( I just couldn' get a good grip on it. My fix was to put (2) finger cups on the bottom for my thumb & fourth finger, and I put my index finger in the gap between the TE & the motor. I now just give it a hard level toss and off she goes!

Enjoy the new Zipper - If you have any build questions, feel free to ask!.
Old Aug 01, 2003, 05:02 PM
Joined Jul 2003
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Helicool Enjoy the new Zipper - If you have any build questions, feel free to ask!. [/B]
Actually, I do have a specific question for you (in addition to the ones above, hehe):

What the heck did you do with the battery bay? This one is quite different from the original E-Zipper, and I'm open for ideas. It seems like it would be very hard to follow the contour of the wing, while still allowing the door to open.

Thanks,
Dave
Old Aug 01, 2003, 09:04 PM
Fly like an... airplane?
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
683 Posts
o man !! the pic got cut off right before the plane appeared!! looks like that pic could use some work...

mike
Old Aug 01, 2003, 09:05 PM
Bunch of KOOKS!
Long Beach
Joined Jun 2002
823 Posts
mini thruster pic

Stembridge personal plane! This thing Screammmzzz!!!
Stembridge is offline Find More Posts by Stembridge
Last edited by Stembridge; Aug 20, 2003 at 09:03 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2003, 09:06 PM
Bunch of KOOKS!
Long Beach
Joined Jun 2002
823 Posts
sorry mike file was to big it cut me off!
Old Aug 01, 2003, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2003
73 Posts
Thanks for the pic, Rob! Did you move the battery bay toward the rear of the plane? Mine is much more forward than that (the corners of it are about 3/4" from the leading edge). Is your entire door removable, or is there a hinge in the front?

Dave
Old Aug 01, 2003, 09:32 PM
Bunch of KOOKS!
Long Beach
Joined Jun 2002
823 Posts
Dave, Its hard to explain! The battery slides up in that bay and fits tight. The outline you see is the door itself. Yes the battery is about an inch from th LE. Check the pics on the Thruster! Of the battery bay, I didnt move anything back. Its a hinge.Not removable ? Are you the same Dave, that flies with some rough pilots, and ruined like 3 razors in 1 day?

Stembridge
Old Aug 01, 2003, 09:43 PM
Joined Jul 2003
73 Posts
So you elongated the battery compartment (toward the rear of the plane)? My battery compartment is literally the size of the battery (8 KAN cells in a stick formation), plus about 1/2" toward the rear of the plane.

Do you have any close up pics with the battery door open? Sorry for asking so many questions, but this battery bay really has me baffled. I've attached a pic of mine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stembridge
Are you the same Dave, that flies with some rough pilots, and ruined like 3 razors in 1 day?
Thankfully, I'm a different dave. I don't know if I could handle losing 3 planes in one day...

Dave
Old Aug 01, 2003, 10:08 PM
Bunch of KOOKS!
Long Beach
Joined Jun 2002
823 Posts
Oh, ok different Dave, anyways.. Mine was a little bigger cause I used a couple different size packs while prototyping this lil rippin Thruster. I could fit 8 cell cp 1300 up tp 10 cell HECELLS.Sorry no pics. Completed planes only. Every thing looks fine in the pics.
1/2 in plus the velcro space. Looks like it will make for a nice tight fit for that Kan twin stick. Use deans PLugs they are way better!

Stembridge
Old Aug 01, 2003, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2003
73 Posts
I may bore out my battery bay a little bit, just so I can fit some AA flat packs in there, and have some more room to move them around for CG adjustments.

I do use deans plugs, but this one came with a Tamiya (or whatever they're called) from WW, and I haven't clipped it off yet.

Thanks for the tips...

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Stembridge
Oh, ok different Dave, anyways.. Mine was a little bigger cause I used a couple different size packs while prototyping this lil rippin Thruster. I could fit 8 cell cp 1300 up tp 10 cell HECELLS.Sorry no pics. Completed planes only. Every thing looks fine in the pics.
1/2 in plus the velcro space. Looks like it will make for a nice tight fit for that Kan twin stick. Use deans PLugs they are way better!

Stembridge