SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2001, 11:31 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
LED's & Glowire on a Soarstar

Just put on some LED's on the Soarstar, I just got a couple Photon II's (the key chain all in one deallys) I was surprised how bright they were, and they don't weight very much at all.

I put a couple pics up if anyone is interested. I just got back from a quick flight in the local park, it was great!
Although I did start night flying so it would not attract so much attention at the local park, not sure putting more lights on the plane is helping
At least there is far less people at night to attract....

Pics
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2001, 12:10 AM
Senior Member ??
Southern California, USA
Joined Sep 2001
388 Posts
That looks very cool. I am thinking about how to do leds on my lite stick. The "superbrights" are very directional. How visible are the leds when you are to the side or rear? That has me a little worried. I was going to use pairs, aiming front and rear on the nose, mid and tail, and pairs on the tips, up and down. What makes the lines?
ETKing is offline Find More Posts by ETKing
Old Oct 10, 2001, 12:37 AM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same and still may move them around but I was surprised and how visible they are from almost any angle. Of course direct on is really bright, but it spreads out quite well. I took the plane alot higher than I usually do with just the glo wire on, it helped having the LEDs and having two colors was nice to be able to tell which was right/left. I am still very much a rookie flyer and need all the help I can get.
I have a white LED I had on the nose pointing down, but it was too bright and took away from the "pretty" factor of the other colors. They are so light weight that I may get some more and put them on both the front and back of the wings.

I think it would look pretty "cool" with a red flashing LED (pointing up) on the tail wing, but I'm not sure how it would effect the aerodynamics since it would be so close to the rudder, and only on one side of the tail wing.
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Oct 10, 2001, 02:14 PM
Spokane, WA
Joined Sep 2001
29 Posts
Very cool! Can you provide some more information on what the glow wires are? Where are they available, and what is the all-up weight of them?
Zephnorphd is offline Find More Posts by Zephnorphd