HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GliderJim, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:54 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Build Log
Quick Flick II DLG

I got a QFII for Christmas and started building it this week. It's a pod and boom design and I've started the pod. Laser cut pieces fit together perfectly. This will be a very sturdy fuselage. I got a little confused when I went to put in the support blocks that go on each side of the tail boom. They need to be shaped to allow the room for the boom but the instructions don't mention this (the online instructions available from the designer's website do). I also had trouble finding two of the wing mount pieces, they were on another sheet with wing parts instead of the sheet with the fuselage parts. So far it looks very promising.
GliderJim is online now Find More Posts by GliderJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:01 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Progress

I've got the tail feathers done and attached to the boom. The fuselage is also attached to the boom. There was some confusion as to how the vertical fin gets attached to the boom (which side of the boom). The instructions are actually very clear about it, but they contradict the online building guide photos. The one thing that is important but not explained is that the rudder control horn should go on the "outside", or the opposite side of wherever the launch peg is. This puts the rudder pushrod under tension during launch. If it's on the inside there will be a tendency for the pushrod to bend from the compression load. The instructions also have you mounting the fin to the outside, but that puts the control horn pretty far out of line from the boom. I elected to mount the fin on the inside so that the control horn would line up with the boom. Another flyer I corresponded with told me he's done two of them this way with no problems.

I also made some good progress on the wings today. The go together very nicely due to the accurate laser cutting.

I little rant about the instruction booklet. The instructions say to put the shear webs in "with numbers facing you". How do they know which side of the table I'm standing on? The important thing is that shear webs 2 - 7 are taller on one end than the other. The shorter end needs to go towards the wing tips. Why they don't just say that in the instructions is beyond me. It also is apparent that the kit has been updated a few times, but the instruction booklet has not kept up. I've also noticed that all of the photos are from the opposite side of the plans. In other words, you'd be reading the plans upside down if you worked from that perspective. It makes it hard to interpret what you're seeing sometimes.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:44 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
I've got the wings done now. I wouldn't recommend this kit unless you've got a few models under your belt. The plans could use a few more drawings. Rant of the day - there is no drawing of the complete airfoil. Normally you would make some copies of the airfoil to use as a template for sanding the leading edge to the correct shape. It's a nice model, just not for the complete beginner.

I was going to cover the wings today, but I didn't have as much of the covering I was planning to use as I thought.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:39 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Finished

I covered the plane with the recommended Solite covering. It went well except for the area just each side of center on the bottom of the wing. There's not much area for film to grab onto and so it wrinkled a little during shrinking. I installed a Berg 4L receiver, a 300 mAh LiPo battery, and a Blue Arrow linear voltage regulator. Servos are the GWS Pico standard servos. All of this is recommended by and available through the kit's distributor, Mountain Models.

I had to cut off the nose block, hollow it out, and add a little bit of lead to get the balance point correct. The all up weight ready to fly came out at 6.9 oz, which is right in the middle of the advertised 6.5 to 7.5 oz. I've only had a chance to make a couple of javelin style test throws and one very mild discus launch so far but it seems to glide nicely. It's a fast glide, not a slow floating glide. The rudder response was nice given the generous dihedral. I think this one will be a keeper.