SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:16 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Well got the airframe done 9.52 grams, 15.5'' span and 11'' cord, (including elevons) AUW with a 180 cell is just over 34grams and 28.5 without battery. 6400L RX, 2000L servo, Mustang motor. Sukhoi 160/70 prop and a Mustang gearbox with ball bearings.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; Feb 12, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:15 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
I've been working on a cartoon cub for a few nights now. I'll put up plans once it gets in the air.

-Adam
AJWoods is online now Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:20 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
I'll put up plans once it gets in the air.
The Cub looks great. Looking forward to this one!
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:12 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Adam,
Your Cub looks great. Are you going to give it an under camber airfoil, or leave it flat?

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Feb 09, 2011, 01:53 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Thanks! I got it framed up last night. My intent was for it to be a sort of barnstorming aerobat, so I'm going to leave the wing flat for now. Should be pretty easy to mod the plans for an under cambered version for nice lazy flying.

-A
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:32 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Sounds fun. Have you ever seen the video of Martin Muller's Cub? He did some amazing flying with it indoors. I think yours is something in that direction. His had ailerons as well as flaps. I've toyed for a while of doing something along the lines of what Martin did with his Cub.

Gordon
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:31 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Sounds fun. Have you ever seen the video of Martin Muller's Cub? He did some amazing flying with it indoors. I think yours is something in that direction. His had ailerons as well as flaps. I've toyed for a while of doing something along the lines of what Martin did with his Cub.

Gordon
I think you're talking about the "fun cub," which is a super fun plane.

I really like wringing out high wing planes, pushing something like a cub or taylor craft right to the edge of it's aerobatic limits. I remember watching Stanley Segalla do the flying farmer act at Rhinebeck when I was 10 or so and just being in awe of his skill.

I got the cub done this evening, going to try to get a flight in down in the parking garage if no one is around 33 grams using the 4-site guts and a 150mAh cell. Still need to some up with something for the wind screen though.

-Adam
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:28 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Adam,
That looks super. Its just got to fly great. That's a very nice weight. What does the wing loading work out to be?

Gordon
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:04 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
Still need to some up with something for the wind screen though.
-Adam
Good build, Adam.

Regarding windscreens, I use thin cellophane wrap: Thinnest from cigarette packets, thicker from greetings cards. Once your brain is switched into "search mode" for this stuff, you see it everywhere!

Cheers

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:25 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Got a few flights in this afternoon, and it's awesome. Video shortly.

BTW the wing loading came out around 2 oz/ft^2
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:32 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Skeleton Cub (1 min 49 sec)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Well got the airframe done 9.52 grams, 15.5'' span and 11'' cord, (including elevons) don't know if that's good, bad or ugly. Microlite film is on the way.
TODD
Well, I've gotten around to building one of these things. I decided to go with the same dimensions you're working with. It took a few tries to get the plans printed off at the right size, but I've got the templates cut and I'm ready to start cutting foam. I also managed to talk a friend out of an old, very beat up Parkzone Su-26m, so I've got a radio brick and won't have to scavenge from my Dynex after all.

Hopefully I can make some strong progress and get pictures up soon. Right now, I'm thinking of Sharpie color and Saran covering, although I'd love to hear any opinions on those aspects.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:51 AM
byte me!
Joined Aug 2008
558 Posts
Wow... Love that cub adam!! The idea of a way overpowed cub with massive control throws is always a favourite for me!
0011000011001 is offline Find More Posts by 0011000011001
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:21 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinate View Post
Well, I've gotten around to building one of these things. I decided to go with the same dimensions you're working with. It took a few tries to get the plans printed off at the right size, but I've got the templates cut and I'm ready to start cutting foam. I also managed to talk a friend out of an old, very beat up Parkzone Su-26m, so I've got a radio brick and won't have to scavenge from my Dynex after all.

Hopefully I can make some strong progress and get pictures up soon. Right now, I'm thinking of Sharpie color and Saran covering, although I'd love to hear any opinions on those aspects.
Mines almost done also, I'll post pics later today. I used Corsair blue MicroLite film. It's not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a translucent colored film like Saran wrap. The color looks to be prayed on and pulls of easily with tape and isn't very translucent. If I had blue saran I would have used it instead even though it weighs more. Maybe the lighter colors are more translucent. Also get yourself some cheap disposible Shaving Razor and take the blades out of them, you really need something that sharp to cut this stuff without tearing it.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:48 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
MITKid, that cub flies GREAT! do you think it would knife edge?
i think i may have to build one of those for my old sukhoi guts and paint the frame yellow so it at least has a half way scale look
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk