HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:09 AM
Erie, PA
Joined Dec 2010
61 Posts
Question
What's the difference between a 4 ch and a 6 ch heli?

hi there,
being a total newbie to rc helis, I was wondering what the difference is between a 4ch and a 6ch helicopter?

what can the 6 ch do that the 4 ch can't do?

thanks a bunch
rsnail
RocketSnail is offline Find More Posts by RocketSnail
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Uhhhh.... 2 channels?

In simple terms, 4 channel helis are fixed pitch. 6 channel helis are variable or collective pitch... but they really only need 5 channels. Fixed pitch (FP) helis have rotor blades set at 6 to 10 degrees pitch and control altitude by increasing and decreasing throttle. Variable pitch or collective pitch (CP) helis have relatively fixed throttle positions and change altitude by altering blade pitch. CP helis can adjust pitch to negative, so they can fly upside down, and have very sharp response. FP helis tend to float more, because it takes time to react to changes in throttle.

They both offer different challenges learning to fly them. The biggest distinction between them is FP helis are much more simple and durable.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:27 AM
Erie, PA
Joined Dec 2010
61 Posts
oohh I see.. So the two channels (servos for example) can rotate the blades. Thank you balr14
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:38 AM
Erie, PA
Joined Dec 2010
61 Posts
oh also, what does 3D mean?

man, I might need a beginner's r/c dictionary..
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:47 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSnail View Post

Tareq Alsaadi flying his MSH Protos (4 min 0 sec)

This is 3D
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:05 AM
Erie, PA
Joined Dec 2010
61 Posts
oh okay I see, thanks again for the vid!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
oohh I see.. So the two channels (servos for example) can rotate the blades. Thank you balr14
Actually, with collective pitch, 3 servos rotate the blades; the pitch, aileron and elevator servos all work together. The throttle is the 4th channel and rudder is the 5th. The 6th channel is used only for remote gyro gain settings and is not required.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:01 AM
Joined Feb 2013
121 Posts
I would definately recommend the 4-channel for a beginner. With the 4-channel, you can control its vertical position, as well as spin it left/right, slide left/right, and move forwards/backwards. Basically, you can maneuver just like a real chopper. The 6-channel choppers are a bit more complex, and thus more difficult to fly, especially for a beginner. Maybe the Falcon 40 (Exceed RC) or the Dragonfly #4 (Walkera). Both of those 4-channel units are built pretty well, and the replacement parts are pretty reasonable.

Regards.
Andy.
Andy789 is offline Find More Posts by Andy789
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:28 PM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
Quote:

I know what you mean Its not hard enough learning to fly one. You also have to learn what the heck people are talking about
Switchy is offline Find More Posts by Switchy