HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:17 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
Invasion of the Micro's

So I was at the mall in San Diego recently when my wife came out to see my daughter and I, and we noticed a sign that read the following:

'I will not be vague about my wants, because vagueness leads to socks, ties and underwear.'

So, this year I informed GimpyWife that I would handle the gifts she and GimpyDaughter would be getting me for Christmas.

So after our 1400 mile cross country journey in my trusty V8 Grand Cherokee, we stopped into a small hobby shop and I picked out the first of two new additions to my fleet, an E-Flite Beast UMx biplane.

I had seen one of these great little flyers in the able hands of one of my friends at the field in San Diego recently, and I simply had to have one. The Beast is highly modified Pitts S12 biplane, the last plane designed by Curtiss Pitts, yes, that Pitts. It is a large plane and is powered in full scale by a 360-400hp Russian 9 cylinder radial. If you have never seen one of these in person, you simply must do whatever it takes. This is pure, smoke and fire, stick and rudder, round engine aviation goodness.

So E-Flite has previously modelled The Beast in a large size electric, and earlier this year added the micro size. This thing is NOT your father's micro, it is of extremely high fit and finish, has a great looking clear canopy, a powerful tiny little brushless outrunner, and it flies great. I have one battery through mine as the conditions in Wichita KS have been cloudy and F'ing cold with a chance for freezing off body parts. Yesterday morning the weather broke, and today looks good too. I can tell that this thing will now ride in my Jeep at all times, and will be my new lunch time diversion.

I also gave in to the dark side, and added a second micro to the fleet, a Blade 120SR fixed pitch single rotor helicopter. Now, I have a little time in real heli's, and I have always had an interest in them, but I had not previously seriously considered RC heli's.

This all changed because GimpyWife received a beautiful Samsung Galaxy tablet computer for Christmas, and was apparently feeling a bit guilty about the money that GimpySanta had fawned upon her, so she harped on me until I reluctantly agreed to go to the hobby shop again, where I picked out a lime green BNF Blade 120SR heli.

So far, I have only charged up the batteries and spent one battery learning the power curve and gyro performance with the heli fully in hand. GimpyWife has commented how much she wants to see it fly, she thinks it is cool.

I am really going to enjoy learning how to fly this thing. I do not own an RC sim but I have played with RealFlight at the various hobby shops, and I can handle the controllable pitch heli's and fly them, so I figured a single rotor fixed pitch would be a good starting point. Keep in mind, my PZ T-28 was my first ever airplane, and I only really crashed it after 200 some flight while being attacked by a wasp during the bottom half of a loop in Salt Lake City.

So my fleet has doubled over the past week, from two to four, and interestingly they are all electric, and are all Horizon Hobby products (Parkzone T-28, Parkzone Extra 300, E-Flite Beast UMX, and E-Flite Blade 120SR). Thanks HH for a great line of products!

Merry Christmas to all!
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Last edited by GimpyPilot; Dec 28, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:57 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Great post. If you are new to heli flying, you may want to consider the Blade mSR because it is so light that it handles crashes fairly well. The 120 will more likely break when it crashes.

Enjoy!
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Thanks tobermei, I initially intended to pick up an MSr but when comparing notes here on RCG and with the guys at the hobby shop (HobbyTown USA in Wichita) I settled on the SR120. I have already flown it several times, and while not easy, I can already control it in the hover and in forward and backward flight. Will pick up a couple more batteries tomorrow for a total of 4 so I can put some real time on it and the Beast too.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:50 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Wichita? I went to school there from grade 5 through 10. Phoenix is a simulator worth looking at. It's advantages over RealFlight.. 1 - never ever any charge for upgrades. 2 - you use your own transmitter.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei