SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:21 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
460 Posts
Cool
Atosis - 1907 Gold Cup Racer

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS03/312289996

Other than the Dixie II, not many early Gold Cuppers out there. The Antique Boat Museum now has three - Dixie II, Suwanee, and now Atosis!
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:52 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,385 Posts
Cool... so will frankg or Jack K be first to model her?

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:42 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
460 Posts
Would be cool to have a whole fleet of them! I've ridden in Dixie II, and driven Suwanee. I don't see Atosis ever seeing water, though...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:20 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,726 Posts
PAT MAT- believe it or not, I had talked to and was given a personal tour of the “Suwanee” two years ago by her former owner and one of the original founding fathers of the Clayton Antique Boat Museum, Bob Cox. Bob donated the Suwanee as well as some other long deck racing launches known as “The Number Boats” which were built strictly for racing on the St. Lawrence River.

The Suwanee was the creation of L.E. Fry and built in 1909, and built in a very unusual way in that it was of lap strake construction with no steam bent ribs placed or riveted in place after being built over the mould frames. The only thing which held the hull form of the hull was, if I remember correctly, 4 fixed bulkheads and the shear clamp. This is unbelivable when talking about a 33 foot over all length race boat with the only fixed strong back structures of the hull were the engine bearers and the clinched nailed lap strakes for holding the hull together from twisting and back breaking torque when running thru the swells can cause.

Well I am happy to say that for a race boat 101 years old, it must work. As for building a model of the boat, this would be a difficult build not only for the builder to hold the hull form, but hull’s form it’s self. The Suwanee has an inverted Champaign glass stern on her which bedsides the transom and one bulkhead has no ribs to hold her shape. This would entail the use of collapsible stations framing not only in the stern but a various points between the fixed bulkheads.

The real thing about producing a kit of the “Suwanee” or the “Number Boats” is the potential customer base for the kit. The “DIXIE II”, which was built by Gorge Lawley & Sons in the same year, 1909, and is on display at the museum, has much more impact due to the subsequent wins of the “DIXIE’s”, I do not think would have a great enough customer base to warrant the production run of the kit with out some one or group underwriting the cost of the kit run.

I can not impress upon the modeling community enough the cost involved in the production of a kit of any kind, and the risk of the finished product being accepted by the BUYING model makers of the world. It is always a risk run by the manufacturer, which I gladly accept, but only with a subject which I perceive as having good potential for sales.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:28 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
460 Posts
Rich - I helped Bob loft the Suwanee some 20 years ago. What he did with the offsets, I have no idea. His plan at the time was to have some half-hulls made.

It was in that time period when I had my opportunity to drive her. She has what Bob called "steamboat steering" in that it steers backwards from what is normally done (clockwise on the wheel turns the boat to starboard, counterclockwise to port). This made for some interesting maneuvers on my part as I tried to dock it. I never did have it up to speed of any sort - I was helping him as we transported the boat from his island home to the Boat Museum.

- Scott
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:30 PM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
821 Posts
Thanks for posting the link Scott.
Very cool stuff!! Dave.
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:15 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,726 Posts
HEY SCOT- How is it going!!!! Are you still up on the St. Lawrence? If so how much snow do you guys have up there now.

As for the steering. YEP!! Steamboat steering it was. My wife says it was made for me since I can’t tell my left from my right. I think Bob mentioned that he had the lines for the hull when we talked about the boat. We even talked about the possibility of making a kit, and I mentioned my side of the story in producing such a kit.

I think if the museum could give a guarantee on a certain number of kits to be purchased after the
manufactured run was complete, the kit could be done. I do not want to be the one to introduce the proposal to the museum on the kit, since it might be preceived as trying to drum up business, and I am not about that.

I am in a unique position in that I have a working arrangement with the museum in using their logo on our kits, but I am also a member of the museum. I will not do anything to misuse the trust place on myself or my company.

They did come to me about the prospect of the manufacture of the “St. Lawrence River Skiff”, for the year of the “Boats of the “St. Lawrence” theme show at the museum a year ago, for which we did produce a kit.

I think that with so many boats made available to me and my company to investigate and take lines from to produce accurate scale models, I have to choose subjects which have the best potential for sales. The bottom line is profit, with out it we to well become “REMEMBER WHEN “.

frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Dec 28, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:24 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
460 Posts
Hi Rich,
Yep - I hear you! I think you're doing it "right" and picking your models well. I am very much looking forward to the Lyman outboard!
- Scott
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:16 PM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
821 Posts
I would love to see some photos of the Roberts Motor Co 20HP engine that powered the boat. I really like the old boat motors. Dave.

I found this it is a 50HP engine from an airplane made in 1911 by Roberts Motor Co. Very cool!!
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Last edited by Subdave; Dec 28, 2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Photo
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:18 PM
United States, NJ, Waldwick
Joined Jan 2009
147 Posts
I remember when the boat came to the show in 87, Dad & I really checked it over. Do you Scott? I also have pictures out of it back then. It is a neat story of how it was found. When I have some more time, have to get to my daughters basketball game in a few, I will submit it.
MKC Syd is offline Find More Posts by MKC Syd
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:39 PM
USA, CA, Selma
Joined Sep 2004
394 Posts
Are there any three views, plans etc. for any of these boats or others of this vintage?

John
Oian is offline Find More Posts by Oian
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:21 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
460 Posts
Syd - I do remember the boat - doesn't seem like it was 23 years ago, though. Gettin' old...

John - I do not know of any plans for any of the boats. The previous owner of the Suwanee may have the table of offsets that I helped him create, but I'm not certain. I believe you may be able to get ahold of him (Bob Cox) through the Lauderdale Marina in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 07:53 AM
UK, City of Glasgow, Glasgow
Joined Aug 2007
4 Posts
Hi,
Need help, locating plans to build a model of the famous Suewanee

thanks again for your valueed time in my search
TREXROY is offline Find More Posts by TREXROY