HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
The ESKY Lama V4 is another favorite it seems of those entering 4 channel coaxials for the first time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/729...R0N9VH9629PAH0

Looks tempting.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pokey View Post
That seems to be the consensus, but I ordered it before I ever even found this forum, so it's too late to turn back. I'll just play with it to get used to the 4 channel controls, and then if i still like the hobby, think about a "real" 4 channel heli. Look at the bright side, you'll get a free review out of it anyway.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:04 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 09, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:21 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Why are all you guys giving him advice on which heli to get? Quit hating and support the OP for taking his first steps into the rc heli world. Personally I think the it will make a great first heli. Because it appears to be based off of the very reliable Jxd 3ch platform so he will be able to have an easily controlled first heli with the added bonus of learning how to use roll. And you can get it for half the cost of the solo pro after shipping.

I'm looking forward to your review pokey!
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Last edited by THE_SHRUB; Jan 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:54 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Not wanting to be off topic here, but your writing seems confusing. The proper term for these flying toys is "helicopter" or "heli" for short. I have yet to see anyone use the word "helium" unless you're referring to balloons. "TV helium"? What is that?

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB View Post
Why are all you guys giving him advice on which helium to get? Quit hating and support the OP for taking his first steps into the tv helium world. Personally I think the ice will. Make a great first helium. Because it appears to be based off of the very reliable. Jxd 3ch platform so he will be able to have an easily controlled first heli with the added bonus of learning how to use roll. And you can get it for half the cost of the solo pro after shipping.

I'm looking forward to your review pokey!
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Not wanting to be off topic here, but your writing seems confusing. The proper term for these flying toys is "helicopter" or "heli" for short. I have yet to see anyone use the word "helium" unless you're referring to balloons. "TV helium"? What is that?

Ed
ya ill fix that, I was writing from my android phone and "heli" wasn't in its memory yet so it corrected "heli" to "helium" by accident, I'll fix it
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
Thats a blade cx2 a little longer than a foot long , they make an mcx2 thats about the size of the 340 7.5 inches ish.

i got a new jxd 340 and noticed the controls are reversed from what they should be for rotation and "drifting" according to the manual im supposed to pushed accel and lights at the same time to reverse them. I cant seem to get this to work and its not really useful as a practice indoor copter if its reversed =\ anyone have any ideas on what the engrish in the manual is trying to say?
Hi, I hadn't read that bit, so I had a look at the manual, very surprised it says that. I would interpret that the same way you did and like you I couldn't get it to work. Would be cool if this did work, but I can live without it. If you really want to switch sticks, this can be done with some wires and soldering and Youtube.

I wouldn't have thought it was a "practice" heli above any other toy 3 channel though, which is forgiveable seeing as it only cost £21. I see addition of the sliding swash plate a "fun extra", it's not really a starter 4 channel. I see it in a similar way to the Z008 "Avatar" heli with the side rotors which also allow a bit of sideways motion.
HeliMadMan is offline Find More Posts by HeliMadMan
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:24 AM
perpetual noob
New Hampshire
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
ya ill fix that, I was writing from my android phone and "heli" wasn't in its memory yet so it corrected "heli" to "helium" by accident, I'll fix it
Auto incorrect strikes again! Muhahahahah!!!!
_pokey is offline Find More Posts by _pokey
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:26 AM
perpetual noob
New Hampshire
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Why are all you guys giving him advice on which heli to get?
It'll save me the trouble of asking later.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:34 AM
perpetual noob
New Hampshire
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMadMan View Post
I wouldn't have thought it was a "practice" heli above any other toy 3 channel though, which is forgiveable seeing as it only cost £21. I see addition of the sliding swash plate a "fun extra", it's not really a starter 4 channel. I see it in a similar way to the Z008 "Avatar" heli with the side rotors which also allow a bit of sideways motion.
I didn't buy it to be a practice heli, I just didn't know any better when I bought it. But if that's what it turns out being, I'll get over it. I've had my Syma S107 for about two weeks now, so I'll have at least something to compare it against for the sake of a review. I'll fly 'em for a few months and save up for a better indoor flier around my birthday. I appreciate all the advice, but I'm not going to get too worked up if the first heli I bought (without doing proper research) turns out to be a bad choice.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2010
5 Posts
I like the jxd its pretty durable and the disco lights are really cool. In fact my only complaint is its poor practice for hobby helis because of the controls being reversed. I think im going to take the solder option.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

is picture of that manual page. Anyone know if jxd has a direct email address?
flashlight is offline Find More Posts by flashlight
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
I like the jxd its pretty durable and the disco lights are really cool. In fact my only complaint is its poor practice for hobby helis because of the controls being reversed. I think im going to take the solder option.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

is picture of that manual page. Anyone know if jxd has a direct email address?
Let us know how you get on, with detailed pics of course!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:14 PM
USA, Ripley, WV
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts
All Fun and Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pokey View Post
That seems to be the consensus, but I ordered it before I ever even found this forum, so it's too late to turn back.
I wasn't trying to "poke" fun at _pokey. Before I stumbled upon RCGroops, I almost pulled the trigger on a bum Falcon/Lanerret.

Lucky for me, I got some good advice here on a GT 5888 before I wasted what precious little heli money I came up with.

VIDEO OF THE 5888 IN ACTION
:VIDEO:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post17068099:VIDEO:

I'm sure I'd have a good time flying anything on the market. I just want to get the most for my money.

I'd fly a turd around the living room if I knew how to get it airborne on the cheap. (No suggestions necessary )
Heavy_D is offline Find More Posts by Heavy_D
Last edited by Heavy_D; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: O.C.D.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_D View Post
I'd fly a turd around the living room if I knew how to get it airborne on the cheap. (No suggestions necessary )
Hmm there's a new fuselage mod for a micro heli...
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
perpetual noob
New Hampshire
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Got my JXD 340 Drift King Wednesday morning. I flew it once Wednesday night, and once last night. First impression: I am not impressed. This heli is BS, and you should not buy it. Even if you ignored the "drift" function and used it only as a 3 channel it would not be good, but with the addition of the fourth channel the performance of this heli becomes truly abysmal.

Pros:
-Disco lights can be turned off.
-Lots of power to climb fast
-Fairly quick rotational turns (yaw)
-Fairly quick forward and reverse flight when in "accelerate" mode.
-Is a "challenge" to fly

Cons:
-The controls are not linear at all. You are CONSTANTLY adjusting power and yaw. There is no point in the stick's travel that will allow you to hover. You either climb or descend.
-There is no position on the trim knob that will hold the heli from rotating either left or right, so you must constantly adjust yaw.
-Controls are VERY inaccurate. No matter how soothe or precise you are, undesired inputs are always made. If you try to fly straight forward, the heli also turns. If you try to fly sideways, the heli will plummet.
-The tail rotor comes off EVERY time the heli crashes. Even the most minor crashes cause this.
-The sideways flight is TERRIBLE. It is not linear at all. There are three functions to this: full right, full left, center. And the control stick must be ALL THE WAY OVER for this to even happen. To fly sideways at all, you must carefully move the stick from the center to the far right or left while trying to maintain your altitude just to have it then slowly creep sideways. To yaw the other way, you have to move the stick to the other extreme while trying to maintain altitude. Keep in mind that; as already stated maintaining altitude at a dead hover is difficult at best.
-Sideways flight is very slow. It never speeds up.
-forward flight while not in "accel" mode is uselessly slow.
-The heli is HEAVY, and momentum exists. I understand that momentum is a law of existence in this universe, and not the heli's fault, but mass is the heli's fault.
-This heli is LOUD.
-Battery life is unimpressive. 5-6 minutes tops.
-Battery dies in an almost dramatic way. Loss of power is almost instantaneous. The blades don't stop turning, but all of a sudden the heli just won't be able to maintain a hover, even at full stick.
-The sticks are rounded and smooth feeling on top. They have serrations, but they don't feel like they do. They are just slippery.
-Type 1 control can not be switched to type 2 no matter what you try. The directions just lie.

Conclusion:
DO NOT BUY. This heli cost me $45. The S107, by comparison, is much more fun to fly, and can often be found for $15-$20 less. I'll tinker with it. I'll try to lighten it. I may even mod the controller. But I don't think I'll ever truly like this heli. Thanks to Balr14, and others my expectations weren't that high, so I'm not too disappointed, but I thought the rest of you considering this heli should know that it is a waste of good money. I could have bought a good three channel, and a decent bottle of wine instead. Or -1 bottles of wine and a decent four channel;take your pick. Like I said earlier Its a toy, not a lung. Thank Goodness for that.

PS JXD looks like J XD or J laughing at you. Now I know why. XD
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:26 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 09, 2011 at 11:59 PM.