HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:33 PM
perpetual noob
New Hampshire
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Discussion
Just ordered my first RC. JXD 340 Drift King

I've never owned or flown an RC helicopter before (heck. I've never owned an rc car even), but I've been intrigued for quite some time. I got a little bit of unexpected cash for Christmas, and I decided to get an RC Helicopter. After spending all morning shopping, researching, and trying to educate myself a little bit, I found the JXD 340 Drift King. This seems to me to be the best deal (the best one I could find anyway) out there. It's a 4 channel, metal frame, coaxial RTF with a gyro. It looks like it hasn't been on the market very long, and it seems that only one store is selling them retail and shipping to the states right now. It was $40.09 after shipping and promo code from http://www.rc-fever.com . The videos made it look very easy to fly, and construction looks pretty sturdy, but I'm wondering if I should also get a Syma S107 to practice with and maybe do some modding to.

I know the S107 is a three channel, but that seems harder to me than a four chanel, as you'd have to rotate before you could change your direction. If the thread about the JXD 335 is any indication, the S107 may be quite a bit slower than the JXD 340. So it seems to me that the S107 would be good for practice. I'd hate to bust my new helicopter just because I didn't practice a little first.

Also in addition to (seeming to be) a perennial favorite, the S107 seems to be a very nice platform for modding. I like modding. I like what some of you have done to your S107s, and I have an idea or two that I don't think anyone has tried yet. Also it helps that I have Amazon prime for the next few days, and I can get it here fast and cheap.

So, am I starting out on the right foot with the 340, or should I shelve it for a bit until I can master the S107, or should I just get the s107 anyway because it's every bit as cool as it seems and is a good modding platform?

Also, you can't get addicted to these things... right?

TIA. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/image...es/popcorn.gif

Oh, btw the promo code was XMAS-GG it was only 5%, but whatever.
_pokey is offline Find More Posts by _pokey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:17 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pokey View Post
I know the S107 is a three channel, but that seems harder to me than a four chanel, as you'd have to rotate before you could change your direction.
You can give a 3-channel coaxial forward and yaw stick at the same time to turns in the form of a circle. Yes, it won't do pure left/right like a 4-channel, but you can still make some pretty tight banked turns with them.

Let us know how that new heli works out ... sounds interesting. I'd like to get a 4-channel someday also.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:02 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
First of all, welcome to the RCG forum! The heli you ordered was recently, albeit briefly a topic of discussion here. I'm certain a number of people here would be very interested in your impressions on the JXD 340 Drift King. Looking forward to your continued participation in the group, and how this heli works for you.

The S107 is a great 3 channel. The controls will vary from the 4 channel JXD 340 you ordered. The throttle will be on the left stick on both transmitters but the elevator to go back and forth, and the rudder will be both on the right stick on the S107.

Providing the transmitter used by the JXD 340 is set up as a "mode 2", the rudder for yaw will be on the left together with throttle, and the elevator, and aileron will be on the right stick.

This is just my personal opinion but it shouldn't be difficult to learn both types in your early flying experience. It might actually more difficult for someone like myself who has been flying 2 and 3 channel exclusively for the past 3 months.

But you're right, the S107 can be a good model for extensive speed mods.

Happy flying,
Ed

Quote:
I've never owned or flown an RC helicopter before (heck. I've never owned an rc car even), but I've been intrigued for quite some time. I got a little bit of unexpected cash for Christmas, and I decided to get an RC Helicopter. After spending all morning shopping, researching, and trying to educate myself a little bit, I found the JXD 340 Drift King. This seems to me to be the best deal (the best one I could find anyway) out there. It's a 4 channel, metal frame, coaxial RTF with a gyro. It looks like it hasn't been on the market very long, and it seems that only one store is selling them retail and shipping to the states right now. It was $40.09 after shipping and promo code from http://www.rc-fever.com . The videos made it look very easy to fly, and construction looks pretty sturdy, but I'm wondering if I should also get a Syma S107 to practice with and maybe do some modding to.

I know the S107 is a three channel, but that seems harder to me than a four chanel, as you'd have to rotate before you could change your direction. If the thread about the JXD 335 is any indication, the S107 may be quite a bit slower than the JXD 340. So it seems to me that the S107 would be good for practice. I'd hate to bust my new helicopter just because I didn't practice a little first.

Also in addition to (seeming to be) a perennial favorite, the S107 seems to be a very nice platform for modding. I like modding. I like what some of you have done to your S107s, and I have an idea or two that I don't think anyone has tried yet. Also it helps that I have Amazon prime for the next few days, and I can get it here fast and cheap.

So, am I starting out on the right foot with the 340, or should I shelve it for a bit until I can master the S107, or should I just get the s107 anyway because it's every bit as cool as it seems and is a good modding platform?

Also, you can't get addicted to these things... right?

TIA. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/image...es/popcorn.gif

Oh, btw the promo code was XMAS-GG it was only 5%, but whatever.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:12 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
xxxxxxxxx
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 09, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:20 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Bair14,

He should avoid what?! The OP ALREADY ORDERED the heli in question.

You sure "know" how to make a new forum member feel "very welcome"...huh? (Sarcastic tone applies here)

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Avoid that JXD 340, it's crap! Buy a real 4 channel heli with removable batteries and readily available spare parts. Any Solo or Bravo will do:

http://www.clubheli.com/Nine-Eagles-...ters_c_67.html
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:24 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:11 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
It looks like the JXD 340 has the sliding swashplate for left and right movement. From experience flying the 8008 helicopter with this type of swashplate, expect the movement to have delayed response.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:12 AM
perpetual noob
New Hampshire
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
It's fine

I'd rather have it straight than sugar coated anyway. It is too late to cancel the order. I'll let you know how it turns out. Even if the thing is a disaster, it's a toy helicopter, not a lung, so I think I'll be OK. edwong3 I appreciate you looking out for new members, myself included. Thanks. balr14 If it's no good, that's just what I get for not asking first. Trouble is I found this site many hours after I ordered the 340. Live and learn. I'm also not afraid of non-removable batteries. I know how to solder plugs onto wires. The controls may be a whole nother issue, but I'll deal.

Hayabusa Heli, The s107 looks pretty maneuverable, just slightly trickier than a 4 channel. But like I said, I know nothing. I decided to give the s107 a try anyway. It's on it's way from xheli. it was $26 shipped, so I'm not out much on either machine. btw I never was a Hayabusa, but I was a Half-a-busa for a while.

Thanks all.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:27 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
I bought one yesterday. But I returned it and changed to other model. The flight duration was unacceptable. It lasted for 3 minutes only. (I already tried several times )
big138 is offline Find More Posts by big138
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:49 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Hayabusa Heli, The s107 looks pretty maneuverable, just slightly trickier than a 4 channel. But like I said, I know nothing. I decided to give the s107 a try anyway. It's on it's way from xheli. it was $26 shipped, so I'm not out much on either machine. btw I never was a Hayabusa, but I was a Half-a-busa for a while.

Thanks all.
I've never flown a 4-channel, but I'd think it has to be trickier than a 3-channel for sure. I think you'll find the S107 to be a very stable and easy to fly heli. I got a blue one from XHeli that really flies nice (my avatar) ... let us know how it turns out.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:08 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:51 AM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
If you see a 4 channel heli that does not have visible linkage between a swashplate and the rotor, you don't want it. It either uses a sliding swash arrangement, or magnets. The sliding swash is slow and unresponsive. The magnets are none linear (on/off). Junk helis usually look pretty cool; they are designed to attract beginners. Good helis are usually ugly; designed for function, not bling.

The difference between learning to fly a 4 channel coax versus 3 channel, as your first heli, is inconsequential. It takes longer to learn to fly 4 channels after flying 3 channels because you must unlearn the bad things first.

3 channel: slow moving and responding, can't roll, rudder only turns; for fun only.
4 channel coax: positive movement and response, can't roll; teaches orientation, but teaches you to respond very quickly.
conventional heli: fast movement authority, lots of roll, no rudder only turns; if you are responding, you are too late. You must learn to anticipate and act before the heli can.
wish i read this before i got 3ch protocol thunderjet(syma 107 rebrand ?) but for fist heli i still love it .the 24$ heli is now used more than 500+$ t maxx
KILLSdailey is offline Find More Posts by KILLSdailey
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:55 AM
perpetual noob
New Hampshire
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSdailey View Post
wish i read this before i got 3ch protocol thunderjet(syma 107 rebrand ?) but for fist heli i still love it .the 24$ heli is now used more than 500+$ t maxx
Shut the fk up! get off my thread!

Hey post some picks of your protocol, will ya? People want to see close ups, especially the printed circuit board.

Good to see you signed up. I got home last night after we talked, and there was a big box in the kitchen ! but it was a water filter.

http://www.sadtrombone.com/
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
I was real close to pulling the trigger on the JXD 340, And i would have it didnt use a IR Tx. Thats why I went with the Falcon8913/Lanneret 4 instead... I'm still interested in how this works, Post vids if you can when you get it!
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
protocol thunderjet

some pics and a vid
ThunderJet™ Helicopter by Protocol (0 min 43 sec)
KILLSdailey is offline Find More Posts by KILLSdailey
Last edited by KILLSdailey; Jan 06, 2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: no pics