HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Help!
Bigginers first Micro..which one?????

HI all...
Very new to the world of RC Heli's...so please excuse my ignorance and/or lack of knowlege... but every ones got start some where..

From the research i have been doing, I can see that there are so many different micro/ mini helies out there.... which is quite confussing to the new comer....
So I have a couple of questions:
1. What is better IR or RF?
2. What is the best micro heli to get? (Brand-Model)

My wish list for the perfect heli would be:

Easy to use
very stable
Very manouverable
4 ch
fast charging/removable batery etc
Long flight time (as long as possible)
Durable
ready to fly out the box

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Maddogmurdock is offline Find More Posts by Maddogmurdock
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:50 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
msr
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Second the MSR.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Really???
Even though it is a single rotor?????

The mSR is one that I have looked at, but I shy'd away from it because I thought it might be a little to much for a beginer?

How easy is it to get parts for them? ( I'm going to need them for sure, two min into flying the cheapy I got from the markets and I busted the tail rotor)

And where is the best/cheapest place to buy them on the net?

Cheers Jon
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
RF is definitely better with a much better range, IR (Infrared) has a very short range, and can't be used outdoors during daylight hours do to interference from sun light.
32oz is offline Find More Posts by 32oz
Last edited by 32oz; Dec 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddogmurdock View Post
Really???
Even though it is a single rotor?????

The mSR is one that I have looked at, but I shy'd away from it because I thought it might be a little to much for a beginer?

How easy is it to get parts for them? ( I'm going to need them for sure, two min into flying the cheapy I got from the markets and I busted the tail rotor)

And where is the best/cheapest place to buy them on the net?

Cheers Jon

If you want an coaxial take a look at the Blade MCX2, I can't count how many times I crashed it on the first day of owning it and it still works like a charm. Now that I've figured out how to fly it without crashing every five seconds, I'm having a blast. I do wish the battery life were a bit longer, but what can you expect from such a small chopper with such little room for a battery.

Good luck and have fun...
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Also...
I have seen 3 variants of the msr advertised.....BNF....RTF mode 1 and RTF mode 2

I'm assuming that RTF means "ready to fly"... but what does BNF mean and whats the difference between Mode1 and mode 2?

Cheers Jon
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:02 PM
Flying For Fun
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
53 Posts
I started on a MSR and then a week latter picked up a MCX2 for my old man to mess with as he took a interest in my MSR.

Learning to fly on the MSR is very do able as its a VERY durable little heli. In the countless crashes i have had with mine the only thing i broken been a few landing skis and i just replaced my first set of main blades and the old ones were still good just looked a bit chewed up.

That being said i love my MCX2 as well. Its a fun little thing to fly around. Its SUPER stable very easy to control, as plenty of power (can carry around a ball point pen no troubles) is a hoot to fly in the dark and its damn near break proof (i have broken mine, and fixed it but it took extraordinary turn of events to do damage). Its a great first heli but it does not do much to prepare ya for a single blade heli.

If ya go for the MSR route id reccomend picking up a few things
-Landing skies (i broken 3 sets so far) i modded them now see how long they last
-Main blade grips (i aint broken any yet but the hobby shop said they were common and the cheap).
-And a couple extra batteries the 150mah ones they offer a bit more flight time and a bit more weight (slows the bird a TINY little bit but anything helps when ya new)

If ya go the MCX2 route id suggest getting
-the Cellectra 4 port charger (thestocker is SLOW and charges only one battery)
-And a few more batteries other than that unless ya as skilled at crashing as me i think this bird is bullet proof. (as for what it takes to brake it well ping a blade off rafters, then it bounced into the ceiling fan, witch threw it into a steel support beam, then it fell thirty pluse feet into a used engine oil bucket LOL)

As for your other question: A Radio controled heli is alot better from what i understand to the inferred deals.
TinyBear is offline Find More Posts by TinyBear
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:04 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
I didn't even see this post, we're both in the same situation. I've been reading for a few hours now and I'm seeing the same stuff you are seeing. Most are saying that the MSR is on the intermediate level and you should have some experience with the MCX first.

RTF means ready to fly (comes with transmitter)
BNF means bind n fly (does not come with transmitter)
MaverickPug is offline Find More Posts by MaverickPug
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddogmurdock View Post
Also...
I have seen 3 variants of the msr advertised.....BNF....RTF mode 1 and RTF mode 2

I'm assuming that RTF means "ready to fly"... but what does BNF mean and whats the difference between Mode1 and mode 2?

Cheers Jon
BNF means bind 'n fly, meaning you need your own transmitter to be able to control it. Most people in the U.S. use mode 2 with your rudder and throttle controls on the left stick, aileron and elevator on the right. While Mode 1 is mostly used in Europe with rudder and elevator on the left Aileron and throttle on the right.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
I'm piecing this together as we speak

I'm going to get the Blade MSR BNF, Spektrum DX6i. A few extra batteries, extra landing skis. Anything else you guys would recommend?
MaverickPug is offline Find More Posts by MaverickPug
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickPug View Post
I'm piecing this together as we speak

I'm going to get the Blade MSR BNF, Spektrum DX6i. A few extra batteries, extra landing skis. Anything else you guys would recommend?

I'd highly recommend the Cellectra 4 port charger (as stated above), I currently only have the stock charger and find it to be a PITA having to sit around for 30 or so minutes just to get 8 minutes of flight. Also a few extra blades is always a good idea, although I've yet to break mine on the MCX2 with god knows how many crashes the first day.

EDITED: Nvm on the charger the MSR comes with it... Now I feel screwed I didn't get it with my MCX2!
Last edited by 32oz; Dec 27, 2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:34 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.... looks like the MSR is the way I'm going to go.
I might continue with the $30 special I got from the markets for a couple of weeks(or until it dies)... The controler didn't work out of the box.... but I have had a fiddle with it and got it working.

And to be perfectly honest I'm very supprised with how well it flies in side and out!!!! Concidering it cost $30 (Aust/US) and it's IR.

Having a hoziontal tail rotor Sh#ts me to tears, and not being able to bank or have "Full control" is a pain..... but it is good enough to learn the basics
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:01 AM
smoking crack is cheaper
North of Seattle
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
You can get the BNF mSR on eBay with six batteries and the four port Celectra charger for $104 shipped which is a sweet deal and what I did. Then, a DX6i is also had on the eVilBay for $149 (although it may be found a bit cheaper if searched for long enough).

That is the setup I went with and LOVE IT. I can't believe the beating that little heli can take. The first two batteries will make you a believer. If you're worried that you're too new to catch on, you can always find someone who's flown before to help you trim it out for you, then you just have to remember to hover high enough (usually three or four feet) above the ground the keep it steady. These little guys are rock solid stable when trimmed out in no wind.
VooDuuChild is offline Find More Posts by VooDuuChild
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:49 AM
Flying For Fun
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
53 Posts
Cool yeah the MSR is just a hoot to fly.

Word of advice if ya do got the DX6i rout take a bit of extra time setting it all up. It is a great tx and it will alow you to tune the helis response to your skill but you need to set it up first. Its not hard just have to figure out what everything means. LOTS of help can be had on this site setting ya up. Also when first trying the MSR has two rates hi and low. Low range only gives it half speed and half throw on the swashplate (this can be adjusted to any % with a dx6i). Meaning it will respond slower and wont fly out from under ya as fast (STILL its fast but well you will see). Hi rate gives ya the full range and lets ya see how fast this little thing is.

Additionally there is the advanced swash plate setting (you have to change the linkages on the heli). I personally have not done this yet as i still adjusting to the speed this thing can carry.
TinyBear is offline Find More Posts by TinyBear