HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:38 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,037 Posts
Discussion
New EPO E-Starter from GWS

Here is a quick little write-up on the E-starter. I wanted to buy a plane to teach my friends to fly, and I figured this would be a good, cheap way to go. Well, It is a basic, medium sized plane and it went together fairly well, but it definitely is a test of patience. I thought with the EPO foam, the ailerons and tail wouldn't need to be mechanically hinged and would be molded hinges (like Multiplex). WRONG! In hindsight, I think the Minimag would be a better choice since the instructions are much clearer and the only glue needed would be Med CA/kicker. Epoxy is still needed on the GWS EPO models. Their plastic parts do not bond well to CA either.

For the record, Elapor is superior to EPO. It may look and feel the same, but it does not react to glue the same. Multiplex molds are much more accurate too. The E-Starter fuse halves are 1/4" different in length. Workable, but annoying. Also the battery compartment is very narrow and only a 1000-1500 2s will fit if you want to use the stock hatch door (original design for AA Ni batts). I'm just going to use 3s under the wing (inside the cabin there is a ton of room)

Not a bad plane, but build technique can be very frustrating for someone new to the hobby. The broken English instructions also miss steps when there is a micro-sized picture and no narrative.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Last edited by restlessswind; Dec 27, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:27 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
What was the price?
I think my Minimag was about $72.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:31 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,037 Posts
$40. Mini mag is worth the extra
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:00 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,775 Posts
I am thinking of buying a Multiplex plane for just the reasons you stated in your post.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:45 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
Here is a quick little write-up on the E-starter. I wanted to buy a plane to teach my friends to fly, and I figured this would be a good, cheap way to go. Well, It is a basic, medium sized plane and it went together fairly well, but it definitely is a test of patience. I thought with the EPO foam, the ailerons and tail wouldn't need to be mechanically hinged and would be molded hinges (like Multiplex). WRONG! In hindsight, I think the Minimag would be a better choice since the instructions are much clearer and the only glue needed would be Med CA/kicker. Epoxy is still needed on the GWS EPO models. Their plastic parts do not bond well to CA either.

For the record, Elapor is superior to EPO. It may look and feel the same, but it does not react to glue the same. Multiplex molds are much more accurate too. The E-Starter fuse halves are 1/4" different in length. Workable, but annoying. Also the battery compartment is very narrow and only a 1000-1500 2s will fit if you want to use the stock hatch door (original design for AA Ni batts). I'm just going to use 3s under the wing (inside the cabin there is a ton of room)

Not a bad plane, but build technique can be very frustrating for someone new to the hobby. The broken English instructions also miss steps when there is a micro-sized picture and no narrative.
I started with this plane 3 years ago. I agree it wasnt the best quality but is cheap and a very forgiving plane. no regrets.
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:28 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,480 Posts
Where'd you get it? Caliber Hobby?
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:43 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
Where'd you get it? Caliber Hobby?
i dont know if this is the epo version but this is what I had and where I got it
http://www.gravesrc.com/GWS_E_STARTE...er-eps400c.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
In my opinion -- GWS planes end up being very nice flyers, but assembly can be a test of patience, as the OP put it. To date I've built two small Formosas, two large Formosas and an AT-6.

Landing gear is uniformly crappy and many of the supplied plastic parts ill-fitting. The supplied glue is worthless, and even even "odorless" CA attacks the stock foam. But like I say... bear with it and build it as cleanly as you can, and you typically end up with a very nice flyer.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:44 AM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
I agree. the glue they give you is an absolute joke. a hot glue gun is the ticket and is fast and strong
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill clark View Post
I agree. the glue they give you is an absolute joke. a hot glue gun is the ticket and is fast and strong
I think Butch777 has around 300 planes that use the GWS glue. Very strong, and very light weight.

Most people don't realize it's actually contact cement.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,037 Posts
The point of my original post was intended to inform new modelers. The BUILD is a P.I.T.A. This isn't my first GWS model. I have the Tiger Moth 400 and I love that plane. My point is that this build can be very intimidating for someone wanting to build their own first ARF plane. On the other hand, The MPX Minimag build is idiot-proof and better suited for a rookie (among other benefits.)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:05 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
I think Butch777 has around 300 planes that use the GWS glue. Very strong, and very light weight.

I used some 3 years ago and it still not dry maybe I got a bad batch. smells good though
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:06 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
The point of my original post was intended to inform new modelers. The BUILD is a P.I.T.A. This isn't my first GWS model. I have the Tiger Moth 400 and I love that plane. My point is that this build can be very intimidating for someone wanting to build their own first ARF plane. On the other hand, The MPX Minimag build is idiot-proof and better suited for a rookie (among other benefits.)
sorry
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post

When I'm pushing together two halves of a foamie (eg GWS) fuselage I want a slow-drying glue that gives me time to align and tape it. Contact cement would be just about my last choice (as would CA and kicker.)

Anyway, you may well be correct, all I know is that the GWS glue used in a more conventional manner seemed to cure extremely slowly... if ever. Seams were still tacky days later. I gave up on it early on.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
When I'm pushing together two halves of a foamie (eg GWS) fuselage I want a slow-drying glue that gives me time to align and tape it. Contact cement would be just about my last choice (as would CA and kicker.)

Anyway, you may well be correct, all I know is that the GWS glue used in a more conventional manner seemed to cure extremely slowly... if ever. Seams were still tacky days later. I gave up on it early on.
I don't think anywhere in the instruction manuals for GWS planes they actually bother telling people it's contact cement. Another of GWS's habits of producing atrocious manuals.

Butch loves the stuff, because he's even more of a gram wienie than I am and he keeps saying it's the lightest glue we can use. I think he's developed some tricks over the years to ensure his parts go together the first time.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)