HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:49 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
570 Posts
Question
Can i use a seperate battery and bec even if i'm using the bec from the esc?

I've been wondering about this for a while. If i want to power my servos on a separate battery using an exterior bec, do i have to somehow deactivate the bec on the esc? And how do you deactivate the bec if need be?

thanks
Charlescd is online now Find More Posts by Charlescd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 09:45 PM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
780 Posts
Just disconnect the red wire of ESC to receiver.
Meez is online now Find More Posts by Meez
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:56 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
As Meez says, just disconnect the red wire from the ESC to the receiver. This is usually done by prising up the tab in the plug so that you can pull the red wire's pin out of the plug, and then just tape it back on itself so that it doesn't touch anything.

But there's no need to use a separate battery. The main idea of a stand-alone BEC is to use the main motor battery to provide power to it. The only reason I can think of for not doing this is if the main battery is more volts than your BEC can handle.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:20 AM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
570 Posts
My next model will weigh in at 11 pounds. I've had an esc fry in flight and i lost control of the model. It was a foamy and crashed in the middle of the field.

I have a good quality esc with an internal bec and wanted to use it on the model, but at 11 pounds, i want a separate battery. I did not know you could deactivate the bec - i am one happy camper.
Charlescd is online now Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
All of my ESCs that have a BEC also have a clipped red wire.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666