SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Only $0.35 difference (cheaper) from Allerc prices, so would all be in the shipping and who has them available. Great info, nice to multiple sources for the cells!

Thanks Rich,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:50 PM
Heli-Heli.com
Phx, AZ
Joined Jan 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Only $0.35 difference (cheaper) from Allerc prices, so would all be in the shipping and who has them available. Great info, nice to multiple sources for the cells!

Thanks Rich,

Marlin

Shipping at Heli-Heli.com would be our $5.95 flat rate for any quantity ordered (USPS priority 2-3 days in the US) $100 and over ships free

There are 60+ available at this time
AzBdBy is offline Find More Posts by AzBdBy
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:18 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Guys,

Regarding the factory-built 'non-balancing' 2s packs - they will work just fine in the Beast; however, as Marlin noted - the stock charger will not charge a pack without the balance-tap.

It seems that many LiPo makers omit the balance-tap on their small 2s packs. If it wasn't safe, I wouldn't think they'd go that route - due to liability issues. That said - I prefer balance-charging. I have no data to support my preference - it's just that I'd rather err on the conservative side than take any risk of a LiPo fire in my house. Plus - I typically charge @ 5c, and variations in cell health typically become more of an issue at higher charge-rates.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2011, 11:49 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Quick question, making hypo's 180 2s home grown... How do I charge them?
RUBNorris is online now Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old May 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
RUBNorris,

If you follow my directions, you can charge them with the stock charger, as I use the stock connector. Charge time will be the same as it is with the optional Eflite 180 pack. BTW - the Beast's stock charger will not charge a two-wire (non-balancing) pack. It only charges packs with balance-taps (three wires). If you want to charge the Hyperions at 5c (~13 minutes for a full charge from the 80% discharge point), you will need an aftermarket charger. If you're serious about the hobby, a good multi-charger that displays charge/discharge data is a wise investment. There are many, many choices. Here are a few higher-quality models.

If you plan to only fly micros & smaller park-fliers, something like this would be an excellent choice. It has a built-in AC supply & a 12V input:

http://www.allerc.com/thunder-power-...er-p-5704.html

If you plan to also fly larger electrics and/or wish to take advantage of the 5c, 8c, and 12c charge ratings of the newest LiPo packs from Hyperion & Thunder Power - something like this will allow you to charge from your car battery at the field & fly micros or larger-scale electrics all day with only two or three packs per plane. Requires at least a 12V 35A DC power supply for high-current home use:

http://www.allerc.com/thunder-power-...er-p-6126.html

Thunder Power packs & chargers are made in the US.

Here are a couple more high-quality chargers:

For micros & small to medium park-fliers. Has a built-in AC supply & a 12V input:

Hyperion EOS 0720i NET3 7S

For everything from micros to larger-scale electrics & high charge rates. Requires large DC supply for high-current home use:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-7S-20A-500W

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; May 13, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:28 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Woot! Ok, I read your other posts. I charged them this morning outside. Everything looks good. I plan to move to bigger planes alot later. Thank you for the help! I'll check the links out.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:27 AM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Update pics Lightweight Hypo packs

Here's what my final "Homegrown 180 2s Hypo's" look like.
Thank you guys for all the helpful info!!!
Kinda easy, under 30 mins, and fun.
Ruben
Last edited by RUBNorris; May 14, 2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: a smilie gone wrong
Old May 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Ruben,

Looks good! Glad I could help. Have you had a chance to try them?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Jeol,
Thanks. Yeah, I can really tell the difference. Cheap too. Stock charger works well on them. About 30min charge time. I busted up my beast after 50 or so crashes, so I had time to tinker. Next I'll try brick mod.

Ruben
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Jul 2011
84 Posts
Joel,

Thanks for this info. After using Hyperions on my other UM, I wanted them for the Beast I just purchased. Your pictures are very helpful, especially the end view drawing with the connector taped to it. That picture alone says it all.

I decided to make 3 Hyperion 240mAh packs. I just got the batteries, and I'm waiting on the connectors. Good stuff.

Thanks again.

Tim
Tim13 is offline Find More Posts by Tim13
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:52 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Ruben & Tim,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad to be of help.

It is a rare occurrence when one gets a performance increase of 10% or more, and a 3-4x increase in longevity - for less that the cost of stock parts. I wish I could do that to my hot-rod!

Ruben,

Sorry to hear about your Beast. I just augered in Beast #3 during the maiden. I was planning to put on display after a couple of flights, as a memorial to Bryan. The port aileron servo went full-up during a high-speed pass. Didn't even make it to the first landing. Oh, well....HH is sending me a replacement plane.

Tim,

Let me know how it goes after you've had a chance to fly with your new packs.

Guys - good luck & happy flying!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:57 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
turboparker,

Welcome! My beast is all better and i only fly in the mornings when it calm. She is heavy, but flys very true.

I'm working on my EPP FPV now
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheJclon.../0/25EdK7ET_Ik

Ruben
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:50 PM
piro-maniac........
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Are the Hyperion loose cells pre-tinned? If not I gotta go find some zinc flux, I think.
I think I saw in one of your pics that you are using silver bearing solder...??

Very nice write-up, BTW.
GunnyGlow is offline Find More Posts by GunnyGlow
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:15 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Gunny,

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, the Hyp cell tabs are pre-tinned. Even so, they still don't take solder as nicely as a copper wire. A bit of liquid rosin or paste flux really helps. And yes, I use silver-bearing solder. I use it for all of my electronics work. (I'm also a ham radio operator, so I have plenty of stuff to solder!)

Joel
RCG Plus Member