HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
One of the things I love about this plane is the fact I can slow-fly this thing into landing between 2 parked cars, if I have to (which does happen alot, where I fly). That performance makes the risk of a landing mishap much lower. I fear I'd lose that with heavier packs. Are my fears justified or misapprehended?
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:09 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
To be completely honest, I did not notice a big difference in slow flight characteristics with mine when I popped in the 180 mah Hyperions. The weight is SOOOO close to the 120 mah stock bat that I don't think it made a big change to things. The CoG is more important than the extra 2 grams, as least IMO.

I did notice a LOT more power with the Hyperion 180 mah over stock, especially in the Vertical. Not much more speed, as I am using the 5030 GWS prop, which is basically just a stock prop. I think speed wise it might be a BIT faster on the top end, but not enough to be very noticeable. I could do actual hovers / torque rolling slow climbs with the 180 mah better, due to the extra power, that and the extended flight times and power at the end of the flight were the big differences.

So short answer, I would say, from my experience, you don't really lose the slow speed stability or flight characteristics, at least not with the 180. I have not, however, tried a 240 yet, so can't speak to that one.

GL,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:12 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Ho50ca,

I agree with Marlin. Go for the Hyp 180s. You will be glad you did. You can always build a couple 240 packs for those cross-country flights.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Roger, think I will go 180 but, backordered to death at allerc. Any other sources people trust?
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:57 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Try Aircraft World. Looks like they have the 180s in stock. Not sure what they charge for shipping. Click on the drop-down menu to select the bare cells for $3.95 each: http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=7181

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Going 180, folks. RC Dude had lowest shipping so, I'm in for about $20 for 2 packs worth of 180s. I already have 3 battery ends from Glenn. I'm ready to build my first packs using the how-to here...maybe need some magnifier glasses for these older eyes, though.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:05 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
Going 180, folks. RC Dude had lowest shipping so, I'm in for about $20 for 2 packs worth of 180s. I already have 3 battery ends from Glenn. I'm ready to build my first packs using the how-to here...maybe need some magnifier glasses for these older eyes, though.
Good luck, and I HEAR YOU on the older eyes thing ... such is life I guess! I sure found the magnifier on my soldering stand help a LOT with this. (As you see on the video it sure pops up the size for us older fellows!)

Let us know how it works!

Marlin
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
They all went together as predicted, I was able to do the soldering without the magnifier. ~12 grams AUW. Will try them tomorrow, first re-maiden after a wind-induced dork that bent the upper mainplane slightly and busted an interplane strut mount.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:28 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
They all went together as predicted, I was able to do the soldering without the magnifier. ~12 grams AUW. Will try them tomorrow, first re-maiden after a wind-induced dork that bent the upper mainplane slightly and busted an interplane strut mount.
Looking forward to the flight report. Managed to get a couple more 180s and even a couple 240s from the allerc site, though they are out of stock now. (I think down to 1 on each) Looking forward to soldering up 3 or 4 more packs, I just love flying this beast and 3 packs isn't enough!

Marlin
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:51 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Flight report is: much more flight...duration is significantly improved, without the super quick drop-off to dead stick the stock 120 has.

Balance of the plane's controls is a touch off of stock, using stock CG specs, a bit more control coupling present at certain control inputs/speeds and the newfound speed and climbing authority means you'll want more space on this setup while you're getting used to it.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:52 PM
Must build, must fly!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Hi all,

Some great info here on making some good packs for the Beast. Thanks.

I have been researching the cells in the UK but see that there is now a Hyperion 2S 180mAh pack available which seems to be the same CX cells. Are there any benefits over making the pack from scratch or could I just buy the ready made pack and then get some connectors from rc-connectors.com and change them over?

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5153

The ready made pack will have a small additional weight due to the shrink covering but I could always cut that off.

Rich
Aerotec is offline Find More Posts by Aerotec
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:00 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerotec View Post
Hi all,

Some great info here on making some good packs for the Beast. Thanks.

I have been researching the cells in the UK but see that there is now a Hyperion 2S 180mAh pack available which seems to be the same CX cells. Are there any benefits over making the pack from scratch or could I just buy the ready made pack and then get some connectors from rc-connectors.com and change them over?

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5153

The ready made pack will have a small additional weight due to the shrink covering but I could always cut that off.

Rich
First off, I believe the cells are identical, so performance wise you are probably good to go. I would weigh the bat first, as while it is shrink wrapped is also doesn't have the hot glue on it to shield the solder points, so it might be a bit of a wash.

You could simply cut off the connector and put on a Beast one, but that is only a 2 wire set up. You would probably want to put on a 3 wire balancing harness, you can pick them up from Glenn at RCConnectors like you say. You would then have to pull the pack apart anyway and UN-SOLDER the current connector and solder on the 3 wire balancing connector, as per the instructions from Joel. Should be easy enough.

I am not sure that simply putting a Beast connect on with only the Black and Red wires hooked up (no balancing wire on the harness) would work or not? It certainly won't work with the charger that comes with the beast. It MIGHT work to fly the plane, perhaps Joel or someone else can comment.

Hope this is of some help. Professor Joel my man, your thoughts?

Marlin
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:07 PM
Must build, must fly!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Marlin,

Yes I just realised that it is just a power connector and no ability to balance charge. I think I would rather DIY build the packs so I can fit a balance charge lead from Glenn and then ensure the cabling is suitably supported by silicon.

Will take a bit longer to produce but worth the effort I think.

Rich
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
Must build, must fly!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Oh and if anyone is interested www.heli-heli.com are doing the 180mAh single cell for $3.60 each. It looks like they have the wrong image in the listing. I have emailed to check.

http://heli-heli.com/items/batteries...01S-detail.htm
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:21 PM
Must build, must fly!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Heli-heli have just replied confirming the image was wrong. Cells are $3.60 each when added to the basket.