HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:28 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Joel - not yet, just charged the packs last night and plan on using them today at an indoor club fly event, I'll bring the tach to get an RPM measurement to check on it. Visually and audibly, I can tell the prop spins a bit faster on the Hyperion 240mAh packs vs. the stock 120mAh E-flite pack. I'll most look forward to the extra flight time.

How far back have you set your 240mAh packs to get a good balance? At a ~4g difference in weight, I don't think they'd need to go back more than a few mm, but I won't really know for sure until I fly this afternoon.
Chris,

Sounds great. Looking forward to hearing how they perform. We lost our indoor flying spot at the National Sports Center, due to the Metrodome roof failure. Everyone is scrambling to find alternative venues for their activities, and I suppose the NSC folks figure that other things will make more money than what they get from us. I didn't even get to try the Beast in there. Brought it with me the last time I was there. I had yet to build my packs, and was flying with the Hyp 180 UM cells w/series harness. Everyone was urging me to fly it. When I finally worked up the nerve, I discovered that I had forgotten to bring the series Y-harness. I didn't have a stock pack with me, so that was that.

For a neutral CG, the front of my Hyp 180 pack ends up approximately 1/4" aft from the rear of the cowl. The 240 pack ended up around 1/8"-1/4" further to the rear. For a reference, see the post #3 for pics of the 180 pack's position. The CG was ~19mm.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:44 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Wow, that must've been nice to have an indoor facility that large. We use a local high school gym, which is large enough to fly anything up to a 450-sized heli or indoor fixed wings such as The Beast or the micro PZ Sukhoi, though some guys fly EPP models that are a little larger, but the limited flying space limits your maneuvers and flying style. I'll take your advice on the battery pack position and will adjust from there if necessary, headed to the gym in another 30 minutes or so, I will post results this evening or by tomorrow at some point.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:12 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
RC-Connectors.com series Y-harness testing

All,

I have received a series Y-harness from Glenn @ RC-Connectors.com for testing. It's 0.67g lighter than Eflite's harness, and provides a 300 RPM increase over the Eflite harness. If you want a plug & play high-performance battery solution for the UMX Beast, a pair of Hyp 180 or Hyp 240 'UM' cells and Glenn's series Y-harness is currently your best option. A 0.5g increase in weight over my 2s Hyp 180 packs, with a 100 RPM loss. That's far better than the 1.17g increase in weight and 400 RPM loss when using Eflite's harness.

I have updated the first post with the details.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:56 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Joel - the Beast flew great on the Hyperion 240mAh packs; c/g balancing was cake, I just pushed the battery back into the compartment a bit further, it fit in there snug by pressure alone. Tach'd RPM's, got 11,200 on a freshly-charged pack, so about on-par with your measurements with your own 240mAh 2S Hyp pack. The Beast on full throttle with the 240mAh 2S pack was just too fast to handle indoors, but it'll be great for outdoor flying.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:43 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the info! I was flying in the LHS parking lot yesterday afternoon. Was only +7 F, but I got in three good flights - two on my 180 packs and one on my lone 240 pack. KE loops are so easy with the Hyp packs. I even managed a few @ at part-throttle. I wasn't sure how the 240 would work out, so I only ordered enough for one pack. I like them so well that I'm ordering more bare cells today! It's up to +15 F with no wind. Time to fly...

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:42 PM
Student of ohms law
Owego, New York
Joined Apr 2007
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Weasel,

You are most welcome! I am happy to help where I can.

Although I am a veteran fixed-wing pilot, I am relatively new to eflight. My first electric was a Wingo. I caught the 'UM bug' when the original Sukhoi 26m & mSR came out. It's been downhill since then! I received lots of great advice & assistance on the UM threads when I first joined RCG. Especially with the heli stuff, as the mSR was my first heli. Electronics (RF, in particular) is my profession, but I have always been strongly interested in mechanical engineering & aerodynamics. So, I am trying to do my part to help newcomers, as others did for me.

Good luck with your maiden! Let us know how it works out, and let me know how the packs work out for you.

Good luck & happy flying!

Joel
Joel

LOL...My career has been similar. EE designing circuit cards for microprocessor based subsystems (my I am dated..) for full scale flight simulators for 23 years (Link).. now designing mission systems for full scale helicopters for Lockheed.
I enjoy flying my larger planes and helis during the summer but when winter comes my heart turns to the micros.

Just received my beast (what a beauty), Hyperion 240's and pigtails. Maiden will have to wait till the weekend as it is dark when I get home from work. Will have the packs wired up and a charge board/cable built to charge two packs as a 4 cell at 5C. This is going to be fun...

Will let you know how it goes.

Dennis
weasel53 is offline Find More Posts by weasel53
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:53 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Dennis,

Sounds like interesting work! Back in '72, I spent some time in the instruments-only Link trainer for the T-38, and in the 90's, I had the opportunity to spend about 3-4 hours in the full-motion B-52 sim up in Minot. Wow! That was fun. My brother was Vice Wing Commander at the time. He flew Buffs in 'Nam, and then became a CFIC instructor-pilot. He flew the 'Whiff' maneuver. Got video, too.

Looking forward to your flight report!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:06 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Well Joel, finished soldering up my first 180 Hyp pack tonight. Put it on the charger and it's fully charged, no issues so far! Can't wait to try it out in the beast now. That was some delicate work but a lot of fun. (I have never really done any fine soldering like that, had to get a new iron and solder helper with magnifying glass but it was worth it just to have that stuff on hand for the future.

I weighed my pack, which has quite a bit more liquid electrical tape (I am paranoid about shorting the battery out!) and hot glue than yours. That said, my scale must be off or something. My readings are very consistently coming in as follows:

Stock 120 mah 9.5 grams
Hyp 180 mah 11.7 grams

So basically just 2 grams more than the stock pack, on my digital scale. Very close in weight, regardless of the calibration of the scale! I am very happy with this.

Thanks again for the very instructive blog, I have actually taken selections and cut and pasted them to a WORD document as a bit of a how to doc and saved it to my CPU for future reference.

Will let you know how they fly.

Marlin

EDIT: Just read the first page and I see my readings are pretty consistent with yours, I guess the little bit of extra hot glue and liquid tape didn't add up to a whole lot after all. (My stock 120 reads 9.4 when on it's side with connector hanging off the side, 9.5 standing up so probably right around the 9.45 you stated!) Man that was a lot of fun, again, many thanks Joel!
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Both packs done, and I put some pics and what I did on my blog Joel! While I haven't tried them yet in the plane they check out on the charger and are fully charged and ready to roll. This evening I hope to get out and give them a run, side by side, with the Stock 120 mah.

Thanks again for your great help Joel!

Marlin

(in case you are interested)

My Blog
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:50 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Marlin,

I checked out your step-by-step instructions on your blog. Well done! That should really help those who are new to pack-building visualize what's going on. I had already assembled mine before I thought of documenting the steps.

Looks like your packs are also nice & light. Great job! I'm looking forward to your flight report! For a number of weeks, the wx around here has been too crappy for flying, so I have not had a chance to fly mine in some time. Hope to get a few flights in on Saturday. It's supposed to be around +25 F with a 6-8 MPH breeze. If the forecasters are right, it will be the warmest wx in which I've flown outdoors since before the Beast hit the shelves.

Glad that I could be of help!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:21 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Took the beast up today after work. First the 120 mah stock pack, then once with each of the new 180 mah Hyperion packs. I noticed a difference immediately. I honestly felt it took off even QUICKER than normal, had better hover power initially, though it was not HUGE, but was certainly noticeable. Did not notice the extra 2 grams weight at all.

Where it really showed though was at minute 6, I was still able to fly with what seemed like full vertical power, no issues at all, all aerobatic maneuvers felt just like a fresh pack where as the last couple minutes (mins 4 and 5) on the 120 mah pack I notice the beast gets a bit sluggish in the power department!

Very nice improvement, and can't thank you enough. I also took video and have a build video for the packs I am putting together. If others are like me they might find it usefull. Your instructions were very detailed so that saved me, but I am a visual guy, so hopefully between YOUR instructions and the vid and pics folks of all types can get the idea.

I was thinking to simply buy the single cells with the 1s connectors as I got the Y harness from Glen when I bought the connectors, but you know, I had so much fun doing the actual build I might keep doing them up this way! It was a hoot, and I learned a TON and improved my soldering skills massively.

Great job Joel, thanks again, made my day!

Marlin

EDIT: Joel, I put up a Video Link on my blog to further document your process. I would be interested in your feedback. Thanks again my friend.

Video Link
Last edited by Fish99; Jan 28, 2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Add Video Link
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:08 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Marlin,

Thanks for the kind words! I checked out your video - very nice! I linked your thread on my first post.

Good to hear that your test-flights went well. Your observations are about the same as mine - a very noticeable improvement over stock. At least somebody is getting decent flying wx. Haven't had any around here lately, but Saturday is looking good. I plan to get a few flights in on the Beast and Sukhoi XP.

I'm also very happy to hear that this helped you with your soldering skills, and that you are now thinking about building more packs! Go for it!! You see, I used to teach electronics in college. I taught mostly RF courses, but I also taught the soldering course. Soldering is a skill that will serve you well throughout your life.

I'm also ordering more cells. I built three 180 packs and one 240. I sold a 180 pack to a friend of mine, so I'm down to two. I really like the 240 pack, so I'm building a few more of them, plus a few more 180 packs.

Happy flying!!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:00 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Teaching electronics would be a load of fun. My wife teaches elementary school but right now is just substitute teaching as we move around a bit with my job. I always envied teachers a bit as it's great to help others out. I just don't think I would have the patience for the "problem children" in a class, probably get fired in a month. I love coaching hockey and curling though, so make up for it a bit there.

I might try out a 240 pack now as well, get the longer flight times. Our weather went into the toilet yesterday evening, but I am heading to the gym today and will try the beast in there. It's a good size gym but might prove tight for my flying skills. That said, the beast it pretty good at low speed so I should be ok.

I'll let you know how the 240's work for me when I get them and make them up Joel.

Marlin
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
I wonder how the Hyp 120 bare packs would perform? I like the very light weight of the battery and if I could get a significant power increase without raising the MaH, I'd be in. I'd make 3 packs and get my flight duration that way. Can anyone speak to that?
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:29 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
I wonder how the Hyp 120 bare packs would perform? I like the very light weight of the battery and if I could get a significant power increase without raising the MaH, I'd be in. I'd make 3 packs and get my flight duration that way. Can anyone speak to that?
Going by the test results, I would expect the Hyp 120 packs to provide considerably less thrust than the Hyp 180 packs, but more thrust than the Eflite 120. According to Natterjack's testing, the Hyp 120 would be down quite a bit in RPM as compared to the Hyp 180. He tested at 1A. The Beast draws over 2.5A @ WOT, so the difference in loaded voltage will be much greater than what the graph below depicts:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=64

Personally, I don't think 120 mAh packs would be worth using for anything but indoor flying, unless they're at least 35c. The lower weight of the Hyp 120 pack will be more than offset by the lower thrust, and the Beast flies great with the Hyp 180 and even the 240 packs. There is nothing that the Beast can't do with the Hyp 180 pack, and the extra 2.4g over the stock 120 is not noticeable in any way - unless one is flying indoors. With the 240 packs, I notice a slight reduction in vertical performance - that's it. But then there is no difference in static RPM between the two, and the 240 is 2.7g heavier than the 180.

Joel
RCG Plus Member