SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
I finally finished the covering on my Riser 112.

I also posted the pictures in the Sailplane talk forum. So I hope this isn't over kill.

I still have a few things to do to finish it. Cut in the Spoilers,set up the linkages and the motor.

As shown,without the motor,battery and esc,it weighs 33 ounces. So it should be around 45 ounces AUW.

I don't know how well it's going to fly,but I like how it looks.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 07:03 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Eddie, you know the old saying; If it looks good it will probably fly good! Your plane is a stunning beauty! I am sure that if the cg is dialed in and there are no real glaring issues it will be fine.

Now that I am finished getting my E-Aspire and Hershey Bar back into the air I can complete my Riser 132. I can see the finish line now....

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old May 18, 2012, 11:15 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
First photo shows the motor mounted in the pod. There are also cooling port holes in the fire wall just in front of the motor. These holes line up with the cooling input ports on the motor. The second photo shows the access hatch mounted. I still have to figure out a way to hold down the front of the hatch. The last thing I want is for the thing to blow off while in flight...

But that's easy. Still some contour sanding to do on the nose.

PP
Old May 18, 2012, 11:58 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Apr 2011
234 Posts
Looks nice
I take it that the motor is an out runner. If this is so you will need to find a way to keep the wires from chaffing on the motor.
as far as options for keeping the hatch on you could go simple and just use tape or drill two hole through the front fire wall and glue two carbon pins in the canopy leaving them free to slide into the fire wall and then either screw the back down or tape
awkward is offline Find More Posts by awkward
Old May 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Awkward, you hit the nail right on the head. I wll going to use two pins just as you describe. It is the method I have use before especially on my OLYIII and it works very well. I have already glued a wood bar across the pod just aft of the motor and that will keep the wires from rubbing on the motor. I have also made a cut -out space on the bottom of the access hatch for the wires. That way they will not be "pushed" up against the motor.

These photos show the bones assembled for the first time. I have loosely assembled them to get an idea of where my equipment will go. This is very rough but should give me and idea of where the battery and servos will be placed.
What this experiment is telling me is that the servos will be mounted in the pod under the wing. The battery will be forward but will have a platform with velcro so I can move the battery fore and aft under the leading edge of the wing for minor balance adjustments. At that spot the battery will still be accessible by removing the hatch.
What is not on the plane here are the carbon prop blades, the push rods to the tail and, of course, covering. I believe that I am just slightly nose heavy so the rods will be good.

The plane has an exact wing span of 132.5".

The weight as it is now is at 69.38 ounces.
I feel that with the covering and other minor additions it will muscle out in the low to mid 70s, just shy of 5 pounds.

Mods so far using the good ol' Riser 100 are:

1. Adding AXI motor and prop/hub assembly

2. building all 30" wide new carbon reinforced and flap capable center section.

3. Repairing and "D" sheeting upper and lower existing wings all the way to the tips and adding 22.5" flaps to each inboard mid sections.

4. Modifying the existing fuse to a pod and adding the carbon tail boom.

5. Building all new tail feathers.

I hope you all have enjoyed the ride so far. I am now on the home stretch and this project now has my sole attention and I am determined to get this plane in the air very shortly. So go get your popcorn and stay tuned...

PP
Old May 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
pics...
Old May 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
couple more...
Old May 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,556 Posts
Great job you guys! that fussyness for the motor will be the reason I will maintain my "need more room" status on my birds!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old May 19, 2012, 06:59 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Setting the boom is a very important part of the build. I made sure the fuse pod was securely taped to the counter.This is easily done as the Riser has a totally flat bottom on the fuse. I then found a good platform for the laser. I secured the laser to the table after having made sure it was shooting the beam right down the middle of the fuse pod.
I then marked the center of the hole that the boom slides into on a piece of folded paper. After sanding the big end of the boom and cleaning it well with a paper towel and alcohol, I applied epoxy and then inserted it into the hole provided for it in the pod.

While the epoxy was still pliable, I centered the boom at the rear using the laser as my guide and also raised it up to the center mark using the piece of paper that had the reference mark. After having triple checked the centering left and right, up and down, I will let this cure over night. Not very high tech but I think it will come out great.

PP
Old May 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
couple more...
Old May 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
Canada, MB, Pinawa
Joined Aug 2008
12 Posts
excellent - 2-part epoxy on the counter-tops, just like in my house.
tneB is offline Find More Posts by tneB
Old May 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Wouldn't be a woodie builder devotee unless there was epoxy on some counter top in the house!!

And a little on the carpet doesn't hurt either...

PP
Old May 20, 2012, 02:13 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Apr 2011
234 Posts
Hi Plane Painter
I am a woodie builder devotee as well and have built the Crimson Glider which is posted on this forum. I am enjoying watching your rebuild and was thinking about starting one as well. are there plans available and or a kit.
As for the the counter top, I have made all sorts of things on it but , man , my life would not be worth living if I used epoxy on there. your a brave man with a tolerant partner.
Nice set up with the laser
Stu
awkward is offline Find More Posts by awkward
Old May 20, 2012, 08:50 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Hi Stu. The SIG Riser 100 is a good kit and costs about $70. It goes together well and the plane flies reasonably well. All the you see on this thread is a total modification of my old Riser 100 that got caught in a tree. I had to decide if I wanted to repair it as it was or make a bigger plane out of it. I chose the latter.
As far as a partner is concerned, it would be great to have a loving partner sometime in the future. My wife passed away about three months ago fron breast cancer. It was my rc hobby and friends here on this site and at the field that kept me going through that two year battle. I am glad you are watching.

This photo shows the pod fairing glued in place. I hand made the fairing out of a plastic Dasani water bottle. The holes on either side are exit ports for the push rod housings. I decided not to run the rods inside of the boom. Call me chicken...

PP
Old May 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,077 Posts
You guys need to give these planes names of their own.
They are too far modified to be called Risers anymore.
A whole lot better looking too!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler