HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Don

Sorry to hear about your neat lady, 5 yrs ago i lost my lady of 40 ys - my Dad & Mom - pet Cockatiel ' Wingnut ' all about the same time.

But time heals and we have our great hobby that helps us get by each day, and this neat forum with friends.

Just hang in there Don

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
1,975 Posts
hi there fromToledo

...and may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

My sincerest condolences.

God Bless. -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,268 Posts
Yes time heals... I lost my wife of 17 years fifteen years ago to ovarian cancer. There are still days where my heart is ripped open but I'm greatful for it. Friends, family, and yes, time all help. My thoughts and prayers are with with you and your family Don.

Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:47 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter View Post
Hi guys!!! Sorry for not getting back to you all lately. My beloved wife died of complications due to cancer on Valentines evening. You can imagine the way things were for weeks leading up to and the days since. But it is nice to know that I was missed.

I am about to jump back on to my Riser 130 build very soon. I have to complete my Edge Dancer repair first. It is on my table right now and I am almost finished repairing the wings. The pod is a simple repair and I hope to have the plane back into the air within two weeks.

After that it will most likely be the Legion Aire 140 again.

A lot of exciting things coming up so please stay in touch.
Thanks again. I love you all!!!

PP
Don,

Gosh, I don't know what to say. I just hope you find comfort and happiness. You'll be in our prayers.

Yours,

Sean & Regina K.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:14 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
919 Posts
Donald,

I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.

Remember you have many,many,many friends here for your support,if you need us.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:47 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,157 Posts
Sorry to hear this

Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter View Post
Thank you so much for your prayers and kind thoughts. My wife was a wonderful lady and she will be greatly missed. You all are a great bunch of guys! Donald
Hi Don.
My condolences to you and your famillies.
Take care of yourself, john s. in riveside
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:45 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Thanks everybody for the kind words and condolences. I am doing ok and getting on with life. The great friends that I have in this hobby helped make it possible for me to make it through this hard time. On a more humorous note, my wife would probably roll in her grave if she knew how much building and flying I am doing!!

The Riser 130 project is coming back as soon as I get this latest plane done. It will be a majestic and beautiful plane. I think I may have already mentioned that it will be electrified because the wing has been repaired at the root a couple of times and I have to use the original joiner rod which is only 1/4 inch.

I would not want to take a chance over winching even tapping it up. Electric just makes sense for this plane. Besides, Everybody needs a BIG electric sailplane in the inventory, right?
A question for you soaring guys: I have already installed flaps on the middle panels- the ones between the new center section and the tip panels. The flaps that are there measure 22 1/2" each. Do I also need flaps on the center section or is that overkill?

John, do they still soar out at the Dufferin site? How are the thermals there. I expect it gets a bit touchy when those afternoon winds begin to blow?
The photo is the wing as it exists now without the center section flaps.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:19 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,373 Posts
Hi P.P.! glad to hear the recovery is in process!
The only bird I had that had more than 1/4" joiner rod was the 12 ' canard wayyyy back in the early days of my blog (avatar pic) and 5/16" rod.
There will be no problem with the joiner strength, just the termination type/style where the transition to spar occurs that would give any hassles.I did all mine in B oT style, which was terminate the rod to full width/ depth vertical grain shear web, for 2 bays, then into the span wise webs. You do have plenty flaps- no need for anything more!
Have a good one, and I'll hopefully 'torment' ya later!
johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
back in the saddle again...

Hi guys. I am now back on the ol' Riser 130 rebuild and modification. I am continuing now with completing the new center section of the wing and the main pod assembly. I plan to use a 34 1/2" long carbon boom out to the modified tail feathers. This will not have a full flying stab like my E-Aspire mod so I will have to be very good at the mounting of the stab that it is at that same incidence as the main wing.

Ok, guys, I know there are a lot of fancy tools out there to be sure of the angle and leveling devices but I am poor and will have to do this by pure eye and a good tape measure. I will also use my trusty laser.
The tail feathers will be the old Riser ones only expanded a bit for more bite. The stab is just slightly smaller in span than that on my OLYIII so it will be fine but I will have to increase the height of the rudder.
I plan to add the wiring and the servo mounts to the center section for addional flaps but will not mount the servos as I will have 22 1/2"flaps on the outboard mid-sections and will wait to see how effective they are before adding more weight to the wings.

PP
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:19 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
direction of grain

Hello again guys. Just a note. I know this is building 101 stuff but a guy came to the field with a beautifully built SAMS sailplane just two weeks ago and made this mistake and that is why I point this out. I made the same mistake myself when I built this Riser 100 kit for the first time. It was my first build so I didn't know better. When I maidened the plane a good friend and experienced builder kindly pointed this out to me.I chose to remove all of the old braces and do them over...
When you are adding balsa or basswood ( anything with a one-way grain) for triangle bracing always cut the brace along the angle, not across it. If it is cut across very little strength is added with the gain of the weight of the wood and glue added to the airframe.
Really, the only reason I added these braces is to sort of "round off" the corner. The balsa probably adds little to the overall strength of the wing but it looks cool and a bit more finished... JMHO

PP
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
tail cone

These shots show how I am cleaning up the tail cone. The first shot shows the rear of the cone without the fairing. It probably would have flown just fine but I always try to make the flow of air as clean as possible. I found a Dasani water bottle and hand crafted this fairing to fit. It will look very good after it is epoxied in place and filled, sanded and painted.

PP
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:12 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
new hatch

Used the old Riser 100 hatch for an electric sailplane that I built for a friend so I will need to hand craft a new one. You can see the outline of the hatch on the 1/2" balsa. I will cut this out and start sanding. I will also carve out the profile for the wing under the rounded end.

This will be just roughed out because I will need to fit the motor so I can work on the front section of the hatch and figure out how it will be secured. Power plant will be an AXI 2826/12 swinging a 14/7 or so folding prop. I will use a 60 amp ESC and 3300 MaH 3 cell battery. This motor will fit nicely in the nose. The closest I can figure the plane will weigh for flight at just north of 5 pounds.

PP
Last edited by planepainter; Apr 30, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Seee....
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,373 Posts
Great looking progress P.P.! do you have a 60 hr work week to compete with also?! I'm lucky if I can remember where I left off @!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:56 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Hi Captain! Since the last photo was taken I have cut off the nose and am at the present time allowing the epoxy to set up after having fitted a new motor mount. The AXI is a front mount motor so I will have to be sure I cut in cooling holes when the mount is cured. I would like to have one of those fancy shmancy cooling spinners too! I am really trying to get cooking on this. It would be nice to be able to fly it within a month!

PP