HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2011, 01:13 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
I hereby nominate......

Mr Plane-"Madman"-Painter into the "Make your plane look nothing like the picture on the box of the kit that it came in" Hall of Fame.

I was wondering about a week ago "Hmm, What happened to PP and is big 'ol Riser re-do". Good to see more pictures.

Nice Work! -Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2011, 09:36 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,106 Posts
I've been thinking about messing around with an existing glider I have. Thinking of calling it the "Allergy". Anyone guess what elements would go into the mix? (Hint: if you've been at this game long enough, you've heard of them)
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 01:41 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Mar 2006
115 Posts
Allegro and a Prodigy?
WEB01 is offline Find More Posts by WEB01
Old May 24, 2011, 10:25 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,106 Posts
Got it in one.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2011, 07:43 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Thanks Pauliwog. It feels good to be missed. But I am still pressing forward with the build. Now that I have found my camera I can start taking photos again. This weekend I will be moving my work bench from the garage into the loft in the house so there won't be much building until I get all of the parts and pieces upstairs. It is just getting too hot in the garage to work in there and even though I have an air conditioner, there is no window in the garage to put it in. So I am moving lock, stock and Riser ( now that I have been able to measure it) 133" into the house. But I have to get the build done soon as I am itching to fly the plane.
I am very happy with how well the wings have turned out, especially the center section. It is beautiful!
Please check back as I need to get back to this build soon. I even got the Ultracote. I plan to do the center section trans yellow, the inboard wing panels trans orange and the tip panels in trans red. The tail feathers will be trans red. Should be nice.

PP
planepainter is online now Find More Posts by planepainter
Old May 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Its a great project!!!! Cant wait to see the finished product. We had a Riser down here when I just had began to learn Rc soaring, took it to the sickest cliff I have ever slope soared on and it flew great. A few flights later I was at the controls when two hawks decided to share the airspace with me. I looked at the hawks for about two seconds, when I looked back up my plane had dissapeared. I thought to myself: "Well this sucks", the glider (I think) went behind a small hill and left my eyesight. I never heard an impact but the hawks did circle around "Something" and then left. We searched for hours but the glider was never seen again. We came to the conclusion that the glider must of fallen of the cliff into the ocean.

I learned my lesson the hard way. "Never take your eye of the plane, and if you have too (Which I cant help) go back and forth between your plane and the other object."

Sorry for deviating of the topic but I just wanted too share.

Good luck on the awesome build an good landings

Dave
oopsicrashed is offline Find More Posts by oopsicrashed
Old May 31, 2011, 03:40 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Hello Guys. Here are a couple of photos showing how I plan to treat the flap servos. The first shows the cover in place using four small servo mounting screws to hold the access plate in place. Simply remove the screws and the access plate with the servo mounted to it drops out of the bottom of the wing.
I used basswood for the plate and reinforced it on both sides with light glass cloth and epoxy being careful to dab off the excess epoxy. That made it stiffer and stronger.
The second photo shows the servo mounted to the inside. It butts up against the rib and is secured by two posts that the servo mount screws go in to.
I made the servo control arm cutout after I fired up the transmitter and receiver and centered the servo. Then I placed the arm in the correct position. Then I made the hole just wide enough for the arm to move freely.
The black that you see on the trailing edge behind the ribs is a strip of .014 carbon fiber. Just some insurance....

I will duplicate this process on all four flap servos.

PP
Last edited by planepainter; May 31, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
OK, so What the deal??

OK, so where did PP go and where's that Riser 130 Pod and boom thingy????

Inquiring minds want to know! - P
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
OK PP and all! i finally got to some forwarding on my project: my question is, did you run with a new rib, or the originals copied?
like this--
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:27 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Hi guys!!! Sorry for not getting back to you all lately. My beloved wife died of complications due to cancer on Valentines evening. You can imagine the way things were for weeks leading up to and the days since. But it is nice to know that I was missed.

I am about to jump back on to my Riser 130 build very soon. I have to complete my Edge Dancer repair first. It is on my table right now and I am almost finished repairing the wings. The pod is a simple repair and I hope to have the plane back into the air within two weeks.

After that it will most likely be the Legion Aire 140 again.

A lot of exciting things coming up so please stay in touch.
Thanks again. I love you all!!!

PP
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
Ahh Mannnnn! Sorry to hear PP!
and she's so gorgeous too! it looked according to the couple pics, that the two of you really had fun tormenting crows and all!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
609 Posts
PP, I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts go out to you and your family. Glad to see you are keeping busy with all your builds.
Best,
A
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
Hugs Man....

Geeze, I don't know what to say, that's pretty rough. One of my coworkers just had almost the same situation(his wife had ALS-"Lou Gerrigs disease", and she left us about 3-4 weeks ago). It was awful watching it happen, trajic it came at her age and a relief to her when it finally ended, everyone else too, just not the way any of us wanted. In my line of work I see it all the time with "patients" which is bad enough, it's still bad, but not as bad as when it's someone I knew.

Anyhow, glad to know you're still out there making a mess somewhere on a work bench. - Paul
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
482 Posts
Planepainter, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I was talking to the Captain last night and he told me. We'll keep you both in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:24 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Thank you so much for your prayers and kind thoughts. My wife was a wonderful lady and she will be greatly missed. You all are a great bunch of guys!

Donald